Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post Mythical Creatures...Are you a Believer?
on: October 01, 2003 02:50
Any of you believe in mythical creatures? Dragons, Pixies, Fairies, Dwarves, Gnomes, Unicorns, Phoenixes, Elves?

Anyways, if you believe in mythical creatures like these, I would like to hear it. I probably shouldn't get my hopes up for this one, but if you actually believed you saw these beings, I would love to hear that too! Though, I'm probably not going to hear a lot of that. ^_^
Please don't bring up anything that might be considered offensive in here. I have a feeling that won't happen but I don't wanna take the chance.
Have Fun!

[Edited on 5/8/2005 by Dream~Giver]
Ivorwen_
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Mythical Creatures...Are you a Believer?
on: October 01, 2003 05:10
Well, unfortunately I've never seen any of these. I always used to believe in them when I was little. Sadly, the world has a way of destroying that. I have seen a four leaf clover though. *grins* GO ME!
goldberry
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2003 05:10
I like to believe there are fairies,have never seen one though. I always tell my son to be quiet every time he says fairies arent real ( because supposedly every time someone says that ,a fairy dies :cry: ) and boy does he say it alot,just cause I keep saying they are real!

[Edited on 2/10/2003 by goldberry]
Ivorwen_
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2003 05:41
I want to believe there are faeries too!!! And unicorns!
Lietur
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2003 08:11
i once watched this television show about mythical creatures. there was a group of scientists who went to some small country in asia (thailand??) were locals had a belief in faeries, and claimed to have preserved bodies of some. there was this whole beautful story about how they grew on trees like fruit. the scientists did get a chance to examine the little bodies, and found that they were indeed remains of living creatures. they looked amazing. really neat. makes you wonder...
Ainulindale
Last Homely Housekeeper
& Gallery Shirriff

Send Message
on: October 01, 2003 09:42
Ahem... Thailand is nothing near small. but I've heard of something like that but I can't remember where it is.

I do believe in Unicorns however.....much as I know it's only a mythical creature, doesn't mean it can't exist.
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: October 01, 2003 10:30
I have seen a four leaf clover though. *grins* GO ME!

I've got a FIVE leaf clover GO GO ME!!!!
Neneithel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2003 05:46
This is where everyone starts thinking I'm mad. Still, nothing new there. I have seen a gnome, dryads and oter of the Good Neighbours. I don't expect anyone to believe me, because I know how bizarre it sounds, but another person was with me when I saw some of them and he saw the same thing (we wrote down separately what we had seen).

Neneithel
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 02, 2003 02:48
I have seen a four leaf clover though. *grins* GO ME!

:cry:No matter how hard I try, I can never find one!
Unicorns are cool! You never know, most myths and legends were based on real things.
DaughterofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2003 03:13
I think anythings possible. Ever since I read The Hobbit I always try to be as quiet as I can near hills that looke suspiously Shire like in the hopes of catching a hobbit unawares, but they are very tricksey and always manage to elude me. I'm serious I actually look for hobbits,lol!
Soulbound: Book 1 in the Song of Souls trilogy, http://tiny.cc/TheAdventureBegins
Steorra
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2003 03:16
YAY! Happy thread! *gives Nani flowers* ^_^

I think I found a four-leaf clover once. I think. I can't remember.

I love mythical creatures. And I definitely think they exist -- I just think they have a very clever way of disguising themselves so we can never find them. ^_^

Actually, I'm making a comic/story thingy that has a whole bunch of mythical creatures within -- wizards, elves, sirens, werewolves, faeries, mermaids, unicorns (and unicorn tamers). GO MYTHICAL CREATURES!!! *breakdances*

pippinsscarf
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2003 04:19
I like to read about mythical creatures and stuff.
Once in my Social Studies class we watched a movie about mythical creatures! It was awesome. My mom also has this book the Alan Lee illistruated adn it has some work that he used in JRR Tolkiens books! Its awesome~
kingurl
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2003 06:20
I like to believe stuff like that exists. I think it's good for people to believe in it...excersizes the imagination...and an imagination is a wonderful thing. As far as I know, no one has proved that hobbits and whatnot don't exist, so I have reason to think that they do!!
behemot
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2003 06:22
I'd really want to believe, but somehow I've become too cynical or something, that I find it quite hard...
But I hope, there are some faeries somewhere. And here in finland there is so much untouched woods, there might be.. (I don't know the word in english).. some creatures... *grin*
Rafael
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2003 07:17
Elves, unicorns, faeries, honest politicians, pixies, etc
Elven_Redwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2003 07:39
Elves, unicorns, faeries, honest politicians, pixies, etc

:Snork: Honest politicians, great oxymoron!
I'd love it if such things existed- imagine meeting real elves... :drool:
pippinsscarf
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2003 08:42
Honest politicians! that cracks me up!

I used to work at a horse stable and there was these awesome hills that looked like something from teh shire so i would stop and look out there and it was beautiful. I was thinking hmm how cool would it be if i saw a hobbit running across!
My Opa used to have this mirror and he told me that if you looked carefully you could see a little elf run by. SO i spent hours apon hours trying to find it. Everyone else saw it but me. turns out there wasnt an elf! LOL
Kisato-chan
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2003 12:15
Possibly to Nani's surprise or not...I have a VERY strong belief in elves ^-^ I think that they just get there pointy ears to look like ours, to hide themselves...>> << But i could be wrong XD although...*blinks* I have about 15 4 leaf clovers and i STILL have bad luck XD So i know one thing...4 leaf clovers arent lucky x_X Atleast, to me they aint XD :evil:
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 12, 2003 12:59
Possibly to Nani's surprise or not...I have a VERY strong belief in elves ^-^

!!!!!!
Neh Kinny, I AM suprised!
lightning_princess17
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 01, 2003 01:24
I think that there are too many different stories from all over the world that are very similar for these things NOT to exist.
Bloduewedd
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2003 03:21
Myth, legend...they all have some basis in fact or truth. Usually they were created to explain the unexplained, to give some form of understanding or to try and influence the forces of nature. There are many things out there that we don't know of and if humans keep up their thoughtless destruction of the natural world we may never know of their existance. I'd imagine that these beings have lost all faith they ever had in mankind and probably no longer wish to have anything to do with them. They are very much connected to the earth and are part of it's lifeforce. As it dwindles then so do they. The form they take when they do allow people to see them will probably alter according to the amount of understanding that human has and I'd imagine they will only be visible to those they feel they have a connection with, those who are connected to the spirit of the earth as they are. That's my theory anyway.
I have personally never seen anything I could say was definately this or that. I have seen many things, some of which can be explained by certain influences such as magnetic fields or infrasound, I have also seen things I cannot explain especially where I now live (there are and have been standing stones near my home as well as burial grounds). All I can do is keep my eyes and mind open and hope.
Lady_Izara
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2003 11:13
I love to discuss this sort of thing, but, there aren't many who share that sentiment. Can't imagine why....

I'd love to believe there are faeries, and maybe, just maybe there are. I'm a Christian and thus believe in angels. We can't see them, but they're there (IMO). One theory I find appealing is that they are simply in a dimension interwoven with our's and while they are there we cannot see them. Make sense? So, I don't see any real reason faeries (perhaps not exactly as we imagine them) couldn't exist in this other dimension. The Bible tells of many wonderous creatures in heaven but I don't believe for a minute it tells of ALL the creatures.

Did that make a grain of sense? I fear I'm not the best at getting across what I mean. :blush:

Namarie,
Lady Izara
MistressRyles
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2003 11:53
Perhaps some of these creatures actually do exist. Or, maybe they don't... but, the way I see it, if you believe, then nothing can stop you from it. I've written many stories about fairies and elves and dwarves... and after reading them, people begin to ponder if these creatures actually exist. Once, I read a story to a group of children at an elementary school... they left the room with spirits high, actually believing that faries existed.
I always thought fireflies were fairies... until I found out that they were an insect...
Do I believe? Honestly... I'm not quite sure. But I have a feeling that I have someone watching over me, whether it be an angel or fairy... I will always think that there is always going to be something mystical about the Earth that God doesn't want us to know about.:heart:
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 14, 2003 11:02
The trick is to keep an open mind.
Bloduewedd, Lady_Izara, I like your theory.

Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 29, 2003 05:02
I think that there are too many different stories from all over the world that are very similar for these things NOT to exist.

Why? Many myths, legends and fables have been based on true things and sightings. There has been fairy sightings all over the world. Occasionally, you'll find an elf or a dwarf sighting. It's okay to be doubtful, because I know these sightings could be natural things, and believe me, nature can do strange things. But it would help if we all keep an open mind. Anything's possible.
Adufen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2003 04:30
I'm not sure.I would like to think so.my mind tells me to beleive it,but the other half of me says no.if I ever see one I will believe it though.
RachieAchie
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 09:00
You can't prove something doesn't exist... so anything could be true.

I don't really believe in that stuff much, but whenever I walk past, say, a forest, I like to keep my eyes peeled to see if there are any Ents around!! That kind of thing. But I think if I ever actually saw one I would be very surprised!! But happy
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 19, 2003 03:04
Keep lookin' Rachie, maybe you'll find one someday! Heh, that would be pretty cool to see an ent yet, kinda scary, neh??
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: December 20, 2003 03:37
Well I have already related the story of something strange that I saw in my family's woods when I was very young (or thought I saw, who knows?), so I'm not going to go to the trouble to type it again. I believe the thread was "Anyone seen anything strange?" or something like that. But I do find it interesting that some of the Native American tribes in North America seem to have beliefs in beings that remind me of the stories I used to hear about Irish "little people' when I was young.
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 20, 2003 03:56
Yea, I read about your encounter Aowyn. Coolness!
I looooove Native American culture!
Shastia
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2003 03:22
Quote: Elves are not little people I repeat! Elves are not little people!!! Elves were originally tall beings but for some reason, they were changed to little midget people because they were thought of demons. Ahem!

Faries and Elves originate from the legends of the Tuther De Dannen (Not quite sure how you spell it) the last generations of gods to rule Ireland according to Celtic mythology. After they lost the battle for Ireland with the giants that are the ancestors of the modern day Irish, they retreted underground and created fairie (or fariyland.) They were originally tall, but dramatist such as Shakespeare began to portray them as being tiny,(see a Midsummer's night dream,) and it's stuck.

I did this for my Drama coursework, so I am full of useless fairy knowledge (only of Britain really though.) I'm not sure that I believe in them exactly, though I find the mythology interseting. I am a Christian and believe in Angels though.
Unicorns are mentioned in the Bible. See Job 39:9-10.
ILoveHaldir
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2003 11:39
I Belive in Elves, Faries, Dragons, Unicorns, Phoenixes, Gnomes, Pixies.
I Belive in eveything Magic, Ghosts, Angels.
And I belive there are Wizards and Witch's too Call me Crazy if you want to ask me why I belive in such things PM me.
Dúnedan
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2003 03:29
Elves or "Alfs" played a very important role in the ancient Norse religion and still do for modern Asatruar. Even the name "Gandalf" (wand-elf) appears in the Poetic Edda (Völuspá) of the Norse in a list of dwarf names. "Alf" or "álfr" is the Norse word for elf and in Norse belief dwarfs were referred to as "swartalfs." You'll also find the names Gimli and Gloin in the Poetic Edda as well.

One can see many parallels between ancient Norse beliefs and the mythology of Tolkien's Middle Earth. The Norse called the world of men Midgard which means "Middle Earth." Ilúvatar is the "father of all" or "Allfather" which was also a name given to Odin. Also, you can find parallels between the Ainur and Valar with the Aesir and Vanir of Norse belief.

One must also remember that the Angles, Saxons and Jutes who invaded Britain from the mainland also shared the same Germanic pantheon of Gods as did the Norse, so as a professor of Anglo-Saxon, it was only natural for Tolkien to be influenced by the Asatru/Heathen religion of the Norse in creating the culture and mythology of Arda.

[Edited on 24/12/2003 by Dúnedan]
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 24, 2003 11:58
I Belive in Elves, Faries, Dragons, Unicorns, Phoenixes, Gnomes, Pixies.
I Belive in eveything Magic, Ghosts, Angels.
And I belive there are Wizards and Witch's too Call me Crazy if you want to ask me why I belive in such things PM me.

lol, there's nothin' wrong with believin' in all that! That's what this thread is for.
People, please try to refrain posting anything religious. It might offend some people and it could get a little ugly. I'm not saying it will happen, I just don't want to take any chances. Ahem, sorry about that.
Acacia
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2003 11:03
El Chupacabra is real... AND I'M GONNA CATCH IT! MAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! ...uhh.... Not Cryptozoology... heh. Sure, if I saw anything mythalogical, I wouldn't be suprized. I'd hug it! Then it would most likely eat my head! YAY! I'm free! And insane!

I looooove Native American culture!

Nice! You didn't say "indian" I love you!

[Edited on 27/12/2003 by Acacia]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email