Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Mythical Creatures...Are you a Believer?
on: December 28, 2003 03:18
El Chupacabra is real

Chupacabras scare me. *shudders* Good luck catchin' it!

Nice! You didn't say "indian" I love you!

:blush:
shavynel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2003 06:08
1) If Native Americans were Indians, they'd be on the other side of the world...or just about...But the Indian culture is also awesome.

2) There ARE TOO such things. Some are in other realms, some in different worlds (parallel or otherwise), some are in a world which is half way intwined with ours, still separate but still together. Some can only be seen in dreams but they're REAL I tell you! Mom knows it too, 'course Dad doesn't. But dreams are more than just dreams! It's time on a different dimension! (sometimes)

Lastly. Turtles (terrapins to be specific) DO TOO fly! Can't you see their wings? And I tell you this too. Seagulls are just terrapins in disguise. Oops...secret revealed...I can probably expect some of their droppings sometime soon. But the are, I tell you, they are!
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 18, 2004 12:38
There ARE TOO such things. Some are in other realms, some in different worlds (parallel or otherwise), some are in a world which is half way intwined with ours, still separate but still together. Some can only be seen in dreams but they're REAL I tell you! Mom knows it too, 'course Dad doesn't. But dreams are more than just dreams! It's time on a different dimension! (sometimes)

I'm very big when it comes to differant dimensions. Heh, ya see, I think M.E is found on our Earth, only in a differant dimension. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, I'm gonna find it someday! Can't change my mind! I'm gonna find it! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! AHEM! Sorry about that.

Turtles (terrapins to be specific) DO TOO fly! Can't you see their wings?

Uhhhhhhhhh, I've never exactly saw their wings.
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 27, 2004 10:51
I thought I'd share this with you
Interesting:
The photographer thinks it's a fairy.
It may be but if you ask me, it looks like a radioactive dragonfly. Don't get me wrong!
I've got more piccys like these so if you wanna see more, just ask me!
Wulf_Sternhammer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 28, 2004 03:29
I believe in all sorts of nature spirits and i guess that Elves, Faeries, Pixies, etc are just local names or "Races" of them. I enjoy walking in the bush(Australian forest) behind my house as there are a lot of times when I feel I am being watched and often I will catch movement near dusk, out of the corner of my eye. I hope one day they will feel I am ready to meet them, and not be so elusive.
They are there, and they have knowledge we have lost, and therefore can remain hidden, but those of us who remain open to them will one day be rewarded.

Live and love
Wulf.
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2004 06:19
'Absence of proof is not proof of absence.' (William Cowper).

Has anyone seen the film ' Fairy Tale: A True Story' about the Cottingley Fairies. Doesn't matter how much people say the little girls made it up or it was a hoax. *I believe*.

There are apparently no Unicorns around today because, they were so busy playing, they didn't get on the Ark.

I used to be an avid Sky Watcher and belonged to a UFO/Paranormal Group in Britain, but sadly sightings etc seemed to have dwindled, but I still watch the skys. I have seen things and our adage was that it didn't matter whether people believed you or not '*I* know what I saw'.

[Edited on 28/3/2004 by Rosearialelven]
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 28, 2004 01:21
There are apparently no Unicorns around today because, they were so busy playing, they didn't get on the Ark.

It was also said that the unicorn was hunted for its horn.
1. Their horns possess healing powers
2. If you leave their horn for a day in holy water, it will turn into a diamond.
:angry::angry::angry:
Greed....
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 25, 2004 10:11
I thought you'd find this interesting. Shakespeare was responsible for a lot of changes in the mythical world and fairies and elves were one of them like Shastia said. If you wanna know the truth of fairies, try this site. ^^
http://celticsociety.freeservers.com/sidhe.html
These legends have been around for a long time (forever) so don't expect to find out everything okay?
Oh by the way, in a weird sort of way, UFO's and aliens are somewhat connected to the mythical realm. Why? Because there have been sightings of them since biblical times and a lot of people may have described them as Chariots of Fire. It could explain some of the myths around the world eh? ^^ IF you wanna post about UFO's go ahead. Some folks say fairies are aliens too. I doubt it but then again? Who knows?
Sindaeririel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 25, 2004 10:53
In iceland, many people say there are still elves, fairies etc. I'm not sure if they really believe it, but at least it's said that the "Hidden people" lives all over the country You can even get maps showing where those people live (well...I went to every bookstore and didn't find any, but there are suopposed to be some). And for the Norse Mythology...you don't only find Glóin's name in the poetic Edda, you find the names of nearly any dwarf in Tolkien's books in the Snorra Edda, as well as several other names
snoopy_hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2004 11:05
I believe in mythical creatures and all things of the paranormal. I've never seen mythical creatures but I believe I have seen a ghost once or twice in my life. I've grown up without hearing a lot of mythical creature stories but mostly ghost stories in my area (especially about the Civil War and things of that sort). But I find a lot of them fascinating, especially about leprechauns being evil little creatures that eat children (despite the other stories heard) and the tales of the Will o' the Wisps (aka spunkies). Either way, there is "scientific evidence" that is mostly dismissed as being a mechanical screwup. Either way, I'm a believer.
Isafjordur
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2004 03:48
In iceland, many people say there are still elves, fairies etc. I'm not sure if they really believe it, but at least it's said that the "Hidden people" lives all over the country You can even get maps showing where those people live (well...I went to every bookstore and didn't find any, but there are supposed to be some). And for the Norse Mythology...you don't only find Glóin's name in the poetic Edda, you find the names of nearly any dwarf in Tolkien's books in the Snorra Edda, as well as several other names

Coolies! So glad someone mentioned this!

The map is called "The HIdden Worlds of Hafnarfjörður." And is mostly available through their tourist information center. I do not know the actual statistic, but many Icelanders do claim a belief in húldufólk and álfar (hidden people and elves) as well as many myths about trolls turned to stone by the daylight, as can be seen in many bizarre and spooky stone formations around the countryside.

Hafnarfjörður is a town outside of Reykjavík, the capital.. The town sits in a bed of bizarrely beautiful lava formations which, for the last 400 years, have been reported as sightings of hidden people, who are believed to live underground in lava formations. Certainly, there are 20th century reports of road builders in Hafnarfjörður and the nearby town of Kópavagpur who have cited that their bulldozers and tractors have mysteriously broken down when they have tried to build roads through lava formations belonging to hidden people. But, when they build around them, leaving them intact, everything is okay. The fact that these road builders are willing to divert their roads at considerable cost (and potential public humiliation) to protect hidden people dwellings (and to keep their machinery from mysteriously breaking down) there must be something to the story.

The Hidden People are not elves. Icelandic legend says that they are ordinary humans who were the children of Eve. She had so many children and was trying to get them all bathed for a visit from God, but the could not finish on time. So she hid some of them underground. After God visited, she could not find the children she had hidden. The elves, who live under the hills in a mythical land, found the children and bathed them and claimed them as their own. So the Hidden Folk, as they are called, are humans who are lucky enough to live as well as the elves do. Various Icelandic folk tales recount encounters between humans and hidden people. Until the mid 20th century, Icelanders lived very primtiive, often brutal lives - wheeled carts were not even used in the country until the mid 19th century! It does not surprise me that so many Icelandic tales of Icelanders meeting hidden people concern them seeing how the hidden people lived lives of leisure, played fine music, wore fine clothes and ate good, rich food. They had the lives Icelanders wanted but could never have! Sightings of Húldufólk state they are taller and better looking than average humans. (I still do believe such beings exist, especially when hiking amid the otherworldy landscape in Iceland! I just wish we could all be as lucky as the húldufólk are! Imagine being mortal and yet living as well as the elves do!)

Oh, well. I find a lot of interesting connections between Tolkien's writings and that of Icelandic folkore. Some of these include the names of dwarves (as mentioned already in other posts), stories of trolls frozen into stone, the names of horses (Shadowfax- the word fax= mane., A lot of the Norse gods' horses had names like Hrímfaxi (Frostmane) or Glófaxi (Shiningmane) It is quite similar to the name Shadowfax!) , and Frodo's name (the name Frodo in Icelandic (and Old English which, I belive, Tolkien used) is Fróði. It means "Wise One" or "Peace Maker" and was an actual honorific given to diplomats in Iceland's Viking Age. Even today, the name "Fróði" is used as a man's name in Iceland, And, finally, even in the late 19th century in songs about riding in Iceland (such as Á Sprengisandi) you can hear reference to such mythical creatures as ghosts and the Elven Queen, bridling her steed so she can go in search of luckless mortals.

[Edited on 26/4/2004 by Isafjordur]
Aranel_Carnesir
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 26, 2004 10:47
You can never say that mythical creatures don't exist. You have no proof one way or the other. There are too many people all over the world in many countries and languages that have the same beliefs in "mythical" creatures that they can't all be imagining things.

I think you just have to be sensitive to the "mythical" creature to meet one.
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 26, 2004 11:32
Don't worry, I know they exist.
Folks always say it's not possible because it wasn't scientifically proven.
But guess what? It wasn't scientifically disproven either, was it?[u][/u]

[Edited on 6/3/2009 by Dream~Giver]
Aranel_Carnesir
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2004 11:11
That's exactly it Nani! You can't prove nor disprove one way or the other. As a matter of fact, today many things that we thought was impossible is being "proven" by scientific fact. So as your sig quote says, what does your heart say? That is really the proof you need.:heart:
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 30, 2004 12:23
I didn't want to waste time and start a new thread on this, so I'll post here instead.
Did anyone hear about the UFO sighting in Mexico city?? There were quite a few of them, but there's somethin' I don't get. Why do most UFO sightings take place in Mexico City? I came up with a few theories.
Mexico City is standing right on top of the Aztec Capital, Tenochtitlan. What does that have to do with anything?? I'll tell you why!
The Aztecs based their lives off the heavens and liked many tribes, they worshipped gods and claimed to have seen "them."
Also, legend has it that the Aztecs came a from a supernatural place known as The Seven Caves. Quite intersting eh?
Sorry for gettin' a bit off topic there.
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2004 02:50
I have seen a four leaf clover though. *grins* GO ME!

:cry:No matter how hard I try, I can never find one!
Unicorns are cool! You never know, most myths and legends were based on real things.

In two separate notes:
--I've found a five leaf clover, really!!
--Unicorns do exist. There is a strain of mutated goats that are really big and have their horns twined together into one, spiral horn. Even if I know this isn't what you mean...

Mexico City is standing right on top of the Aztec Capital, Tenochtitlan.

Actually the center of the city is slightly northwest of the edge of Lake Tenochtitlan (which the city was built part way out into.) But that's just me being a nit pick, don't mind me!

I am absolutely fascinated with the mythical creatures, especially the intelligent animal mixes and the gods' possible hand in it, and elves, of course... I don't know why, but I've always (well, since I was probably eight, to the best of my memory) been fascinated with the hippogriffs and dragons and pheonixes, and I've always thought the elves were Tolkien-ish elves (for lack of better descriptors) even before I read any of Tolkien's work. I always called the little mischievious elves "trolls" after the story "The Ice Child" ('s about an older sister trying to rescue her little brother, stolen by the "trolls" and replaced with an ice changeling)
When I was still allowed to read anything (*growls at ALA teacher* Haha, I'm almost free of that class!! yay!!) my mom would go to the library, and she'd always get a few books for me, if I didn't go with her, and she always got the ones with the pointy ears or dragons or swords or fire or eagles or hippogriffs or pheonixes on the front. I got through a good half of the fantasy section that way. The other half I got and read on my own! lol
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 30, 2004 03:18
Mexico City is standing right on top of the Aztec Capital, Tenochtitlan.

Actually the center of the city is slightly northwest of the edge of Lake Tenochtitlan (which the city was built part way out into.) But that's just me being a nit pick, don't mind me!

Being technical aren't we? It's close enough if you ask me. XD
Unicorns were also said to be inspired by the rhinoceros.

[Edited on 6/3/2009 by Dream~Giver]
~aear_fëa~
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2004 02:18
a hippogryph seems to be a cross between a griffin and a horse.

and i totally believe in faeries. humans have just destroyed the world too much, so they will not show their faces.
Lady_of_Lore
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 03:02
I think that as long as there's stories and as long as there is people that beleive mythical creatures will always exist. They may not exist as you or I exist but they'll still be there.

They must exist somewhere for people to write about them in the first place surely. Somethings will never be explained and most of us will probably never know, but anything can exist with the power of the imagination. I feel sorry for people who have sceintific minds and refuse to use their imagination, or believe in things that cannot be proven. I think the mind is a great gift since anything can happen there, there faeries, unicorns and elves will always be.
Zumao
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 01:43
I believe in them. from Lepercons, fairies, elves, dwarves, Gobbling, orcs,vampires, werewolves, and everyother mythical creatures you can think of.
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2004 02:21
I once saw some Dragons in wales... I was very young at the time though so it might have been my imagination! Lol.
I will tell you about it anyway. We we on someone's land, and they were showing us these logs that, well looked like dragons! There were wings that were up close to the sides of these 'logs',
and when he cut his axe into one, this black ooze came out! It looked like blood, and he said that they were sleeping dragons to my dad. But as I said It may have been my imagination having fun out of a boring situation!!!
easterling
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 03:56
when i was young i belived in those things to i want very much that this world will be middle earth and i will fight in helm's deep and all of that but then i remmber its is nothing but imagination
fosca44
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2004 04:22
Last week I got the book "Faeries" reasearched and illustraded by Alan Lee and Brian Froud - I absolutely adore it I'm memorising several passages (which is a bit silly of me, when I should be rehearsing to my Media exam)

I grew up with certain folklore traditions - my mother taught me about pixies and the sorts, and I lived right by a water appearantly inhabited by "Hulder"s. When I was younger I had few greater desires than to see a dragon...

It's strange, though I'm a real agnostic, I still believe there are things science haven't found, and possibly won't be able to explain. If we still find completely insects and frogs each day, then why couldn't these little magic things exist?

And to top it all, I have always had an unexplained fear of sea serpents. We're talking the Loch Ness type here. It absolutely terrifies me

[Edited on 8/6/2004 by fosca44]
ElwingCalaelen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 02, 2004 08:21

I've got a FIVE leaf clover GO GO ME!!!!

Surely, you jest.
Anyway, to get to the actual stuff - why not believe in dragons? They are- or at least were- obviously some mutated form of the pterodactyl. So they might just still be around, right? Just because human beings think they are the most powerful beings on this planet doesn't mean they are. All I've got to say is, the Earth is a big place....

[Edited on 2/7/2004 by ElwingCalaelen]
Tanlaithien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2004 01:48
I didn't realize so many people believed in all these mythical beings! I have always believed in Unicorns and Faëries, and Pixies and the sort, and I think I always will. I also believe that at one point in time, the Earth used to be filled with these beings, and that they still do exist, but are few and far between, or the race of Man (excuse my term) is too caught up in the Modern-World and Modern Technology to take the time to realize these beings still exist. I myself, have never seen any of these beings, but I strongly believe that there are still Elves and Pixies and Faëries out there somewhere, we just do not know where to look. I'm writing a Fantasy Story (I still don't have a title, or a real plot yet), and I have Elves, Faëries, Pixies, Mer-people, Immortal Humans, Humans, Unicorns, Dragons and Griffyns. I also believe that Middle Earth once existed, and parts of it still does only in various parts of the world... don't ask about that one, I just do.
SugerCaine21
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2004 08:58
Oh I love this topic. I have so much to say. You will all probably think I am crazy.

1) I have 72 4leaf clovers 8 five leaf and 2 seven leaf and one 8 leaf clover. Seriously I will try to post a pic.

2)Yes all of these creatures did and do still exsist. There used to be a connection between all the planets of all the galexies. All 'mythical' creatues passed through this connection and walked on earth for several (possibly thousands of years), over time this pathway deteriorated and all the races were stuck, trapped on earth. For a long time they all walked the earth in peace with humans but eventually humans began to fear them and they were persecuted. As a result they took on human form and have remained that way every since. They are commonly known now as "otherkin".

3) If you think you saw it, you did. Some people have the ability to see kin in their true forms. Little kids often see true forms more than adults because they have very open minds.

4) There is a great number of kin of all kinds spread throughout the world. Open minded humans are also welcome to these places and they can learn more about all different types of 'mythical' creatures and how they live. If you would like to know some of these places feel free to PM me and I will put you in contact with several groups.

5) For the person who said something about 'imagine meeting a real elf', I am of elvenkin and have many elven friends(I am NOT RPing I am being very serious).

I'm happy now I've had my say. Although, I'm sure you now all think that I am very insane.
~aear_fëa~
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2004 08:49
SugerCaine21, i am very honored to meet you! i sometimes dream of being faerie or elven kin...
SugerCaine21
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2004 09:03
Thank you, it is a pleasure to meet you aswell. Dreams are often memories of your past lives and people tend to dismiss then as fantasy.

[Edited on 7/7/2004 by SugerCaine21]
~aear_fëa~
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2004 09:20
do you guys believe in vampires and werewolves and such? i do. when i read books about werewolves, i feel this ache in my bones, like subconciously, my body is trying to return to it's orignal state, but my mind says 'that's not possible!' what do you all think?
ElwingCalaelen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2004 09:26
SugarCaine21, I highly respect you for your beliefs and I think it must be so great to be of the elven kind! Could you please tell me exactly how? I'm so sorry if I sound rude or insulting, I honestly don't mean to be - I'm just curious. And I would so dearly love to know of the places you mentioned in your earlier post. I would love to go there myself.
SugerCaine21
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2004 11:54
~aear_fëa~ it is possible. In fact it is very likely.

It takes alot of time working on meditation to get to access your past lives. When you accomplish this you can remember yourself in your true form. I have many memories of where I used to live. It was a very beautiful place. Unfortunatly when you start accessing your past lives the most painful memories almost always come first. My first memory of my elven life was being impaled on a sword. It was very painful but you eventually learn to move past it. I would suggest that you work on meditation and I would reccomend finding the book "Practical Guide to Past-Life Memories, Twelve Proven Methods" by Richard Webster.

As for links I will PM them to anyone upon request so as not to get in trouble for spam.
Triton_en_Teleri
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2004 06:08
I'm new to this site, but SugerCaine asked me to come and to "feel free to correct my explaination to them im still new to this," so here I am.

Now, the whole thing about being connections to other realms isn't a necessity, as many of the mythical creatures could be said to be natives of this place we like to call Earth. As for persecution, that's an iffy thing--you're not going to find much historical documentation of elves put into concentration camps or ogres rounded up and burned. Plus, there are those people who have held beliefs in these creatures/beings out of good faith in them. In truth, it didn't happen--even if you say that "Christianity wiped out most of the belief and is to blame," Christians have had tales of and beliefs in angels and demons (ljos- and dock/svart- alfar [light and dark/black elves] to the norse, seelie and unseelie sidhe to the Scots and British Celts, etc. etc.), which (as illustrated) can be easily equated to other mythical beings (if you do not wish to place the "mythical" label upon them in the first place ^^).

So, why are there Otherkin (if they are real at all)? Beats the heck out of me! For those who believe in reincarnation, it's just another life, though one in an "unfamiliar" body (in the sense that it doesn't match one's "true form"). For those who don't believe in rebirth, it could be any number of reasons, from a mistake at birth to a swapping of souls to whatever floats your boat. The "why" question is not so much a problem as the "what/who" one, which is ultimately the one everyone has to answer. Bottom line, its a step towards "finding oneself"--figuring out who/what you really are and what that knowledge will mean in your life.

As for the existence of the mythical creatures on this earth in non-human bodies, know this: there are still plenty of mysteries left to solve on this Earth, let alone universe, and some people (usually not "mainstream" in the Westernized world) still believe in/see such entities. The possibility that a single-horned equine creature exists is still pretty high; whether you attach magical qualities to it is your perogative to think that, its whim to worry about it, and its nature to confirm or deny your belief.

What about the possibility that other humanoids exist? Well, if you're an evolutionist, that's really easy: our knowledge of the fossil record is incomplete and, if our biological family was like that of other creatures, there should be about six or so different species of hominid in existence (based on the age of our family). If not, depending on what religion you believe, there's probably a form of fairy (god-man intermediate being [spirit]) mentioned/believed in by your religion, be it the Angels/Demons or the Elves and Giants or the Formori, Firbolg, and Tuatha de Danaan/Sidhe or the Kitsune, Yuki-Onna, and Oni or whatever. The possibilities are staggering. Whether or not they are realities may be found in time; whether or not it affects you is your decision.

So, do the mythical creatures exist? Maybe, maybe not. There's some evidence for the existence of any given species and some against it--even the human race (but that's a philosophical [existentialist] thing and we don't need to go there at the moment). It is your option to believe whatever you want to believe, but it is your duty to make sure you understand what and why you believe the things you do. Remember: there's more than one way of knowing--your heart is just as important of a tool for knowledge as your head.

By the way, my memories just "flash" before me randomly--no meditation required. I was shown a picture of an elf (which really enthralled me), so I went searching for materials on elves and, after finding a certain website and *actually* reading it instead of glancing at it, figured out cerebrally what I was (i.e., "I always knew what I was subconciously" type of thing).

End Note: "Mythical" only refers to something from myth, not something false, as "myth" does not mean "falsehood." ~^
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2004 12:09
Of course I believe. Every story has an origin. It was the unicorn the restored my faith. There is actually an animal from the goat family that created the myth. It is snowy white, and has two perfectly straight horns, which, seen from the side, look like they're only one.

It's sad we lose belief in so many things as we age. I, for one, do believe that just because we have never seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

-Dolen
~aear_fëa~
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2004 08:46
very insightful, Triton_en_Teleri. and SugerCaine, could you PM me the links? pretty, pretty please?
luthienkenobi
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 05:16
I love faeries, so of course i believe in them.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email