Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Mrs_Boyd
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Mythical Creatures...Are you a Believer?
on: June 22, 2005 03:07
I've always believed in mythical creatures, like Faeries, Elves, dragons, etc. But I also believe in Vampires and werewolves. People think I'm crazy, and I am...but still! I know hobbits exists, you just have to look carefully...which I do!
Carnesir
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2005 07:52
There is a news station that my little brother had to watch last year in middle school/ junior high, and on it there was and archaeological dig where they found the bones of Dwarves. I'm speaking in all seriousness. They think that while the continents were still all one content (Pangaea) there were different species of people. It's pretty amazing. The channel was called Channel 1 news and i think the web site is www.channel1.com or something like that.

Carnesir
SCP
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2005 06:25
[img]I believe in some other world, like middle earth or narnia where all these creatures live. And i believe they lived on earth be4
Tanlaithien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2005 11:55
I think that when Tolkein wrote The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, he was writing about a part of our history that has been forgotten. I believe that at one point in the Earth's history, Elves, Faëries, Unicorns, Hobbits, Dwarves, Wizards, and the like once existed, and still do, only they are in hiding, afraid to show themselves in public. I believe they dwell in the deepest forests of the world where they know they will seldom be seen, and if a person does see one, it is because that creature wants to be seen to keep the belief alive. I have believed in mythical creatures all my life, and I will continue to believe in them until the day I die, and even then I will believe. I just wish there were more people like us; more people who believed in the things everybody tries to deny. Belief in something like this, give us a ray of hope that someday we will either see a faërie, that the world will believe us, or even just something to hold on to to keep our minds open. A lot of people tell me I'm crazy for believing what I do, but I don't care, because I will believe what I want to believe, and nobody is going to make me think otherwise.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: June 23, 2005 12:01
I have felt the same, Tanlaithien. In other threads and perhaps even earlier in this one, I have espoused the feeling that Tolkien tapped into a sort of primal memory in his crafting of Middle-earth. People are free to believe what they will, so why not us?
Tanlaithien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2005 12:09
Exactly. I know what you mean, BelleBayard. There is so much that we don't know about our Earth, which leaves us with so many unanswered questions, and all the more reason to believe and think that somewhere on this earth, maybe even in a little forested area our own neighbourhoods Elves, and Faëries and Pixies are living there, and we don't even know it because they are so good at hiding themselves. People, even my friends sometimes think I'm crazy to believe in this kind of stuff, they say it's childish, but I believe what I want. It keeps me believing that there is "some good left in this world" as Sam Gamgee would put it. "And that is is worth holding on to" With wars raging all over the world, it gives me a little bit of peace to be able to have an open mind, and be able to think about the things that were and are, and are to come. It also makes me feel better to believe that they are other beings besides humans living amongst us. It give me comfort and an otherwise sometimes uncomfortable society.
SCP
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2005 08:50
How can it be that in so much fairytales there are elfes, dwarfs ed. and we feel that it's so true? I believe it must be that these have excisted.
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 25, 2005 02:20
I believe in Middle Earth entirely.
I think there's a thread about Middle Earth's Existence in the Green Dragon somewhere and I know there's one in the Prancing Pony as well. Maybe you should check them out.
Ilfa
Surrealism of Arda
Send Message
on: June 25, 2005 10:46
Hi there! I am a member of the Realm of Varda that's why I like constellations that are related to the myths.
Ithileth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2005 07:20
Anything can exist, the earth is so big that it is all possible. The unicorn could have existed ( or still does). If the horn was calcium it would dissolve and not solidify like a fossile. If you like to think about the unknown/cryptozoology (the study and proving of unproved species) google "Mokele Mbembe" it is believed that this is a dinosaur still alive in the jungle of the Congo.
There are still a lot of things on this earth that God will revile in his own good time. Be they faries or dragons.
Tanlaithien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2005 03:03
I just wish people could slow down in their busy lives, and take the time to think about the things they try to deny. I've said to my family that I believe in Unicorns, and Elves and Middle Earth, and they've always said they don't exist, but I strongly believe they do. I have believed in them for a long time, and ever since I saw the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, my belief has been strengthened even more. There are so many places on this Earth today that could very well be parts of Middle Earth. The rainforests of the world, or the Redwood forests of North America could very well be the remains of Fangorn Forest, or Mirkwood. And what about the Elves under Thranduil's rule who never left Middle Earth? Legolas was the only Mirkwood Elf to leave Middle Earth for Valinor where he resides to this day. The Elves that remained in Mirkwood are still alive somewhere on this Earth. Lord Thranduil himself may still be alive and in power of some Elven kingdom in the deepest forests of this world. Perhaps those realms of Middle Earth never left, they were just changed when the Dominion of Men spread from Gondor and Rohan to the rest of Middle Earth. Who's to say that a modern-say city isn't standing where the Hobbit town of Hobbiton was once standing? There is so much I believe still exists in this world today, I really do wish that today's otherwise busy society would stop and give us mythical creature believers a thought, and consider what we believe to be true.

And that concludes my rambling for now.
Namarie
Ataralassë_Manveri
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 08, 2005 11:50
I want to believe, it's just that that darn pesky logic keeps getting in the way.
There are some things that I can BS an explanation for.
Others? Just no.
Things like the sphinx, hippogryphs, gryphons, pegasi, and dragons I can't believe in. At least not on THIS plane of existance. Due to their physical make up. Having a jumble of parts. The chimera is a good example.
I believe they are just misinterpretations of real creatures.
The unicorn is nothing more than a rhinocerous.
Dragons? Well I have two theories for them.
1. Someone DID find dinosaur fossils early on.
2. Catholic/Christian exaggeration. In Genesis snakes are seen as evil. When Catholicism was vastly spreading, I think that somwhere along the lines they wanted a creature to represent evil. Hence the dragon. aka the suped up snake of Eden.
I believe the "good folk" pixies, gnomes, brownies were just the original people of Ireland. Much like the actual hobbits recently discovered. Yes, HOBBITS EXISTED. Although they seemed to be more like Smeagol than Frodo.
http://google.nationalgeographic.com/search?site=default_collection&client=default_frontend&proxystylesheet=default_frontend&output=xml_no_dtd&oe=UTF-8&q=hobbits
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 09, 2005 01:01
It's easy to be skeptic, but what does your heart say?
I believe.
Oh, and about dragons...
Throughout human history, people have been fascinated with dragons. These fantastical beasts have appeared in the myths and legends of almost every world culture, including the Inuit, Aztecs and Chinese, to name a few. These civilizations never connected, yet all of them conceived of the same mythical animal.

www.dragonsarecoming.com
and
http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/dragons/profiles/profiles.html
NOTE: Don't get too excited about the links, these aren't actual dragons.
BUT, what's interesting about this is it explains how it's possible dragons could have existed.

I don't think Christianity exaggeration has anything to do with dragons by the way. Look at the Asians, especially the Chinese. They haven't known the Christian religion for a while, but they did know dragons. Dragons were sacred to them. They were symbols of strength and goodness. Same thing with the Native Americans.
There are many things in this world that cannot be explained. We think we know a lot about Earth, but we don't. You can't prove something doesn't exist anyways, so why give up believing?
This is only what I think by the way. Please don't be offended.

EDIT:
Oh and by the way:
Yes, HOBBITS EXISTED. Although they seemed to be more like Smeagol than Frodo.

The name "hobbit" was given to them only because of their size. Tolkien came up with "hobbit" long before the little people from Indonesia were discovered.
And about fairies, there has been sightings of them all over the world. And guess what? The Native Americans had their own myths and legends about them as well. Actually, almost every culture has their own myths about the little people. It's not just in European legend.

Once again, please don't be offended. We learn new things everyday and there's a lot of things in this world that we know nothing of. It's best not to jump to conclusions or believe what everyone says. It's not always true.
If you want to believe, then believe. No one's stopping you.

[Edited on 6/8/2005 by Dream~Giver]
Galenlomeiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2007 12:08
I am not sure whether I believe in these sort of things or if I just wished that they were real/I believed in them...A favorite quote of mine (which I *think* I made up myself) is "The only unreal things are the things that have yet to be imagined."...but the world is becoming too industrialized, too antiseptic, too cynical, too etc. these days. Science gets in the way of everything, and I am ashamed to admit this, but I used to have a cold, scientific mind that only believed in what was proven. But when my English class read The Hobbit almost two years ago, it was as if I had just escaped a jail cell, for lack of a better analogy. I realized the beauty and splendor of the ethereal and slowly but surely, the ice in my heart began to melt. This was the fateful year in which I became obsessed with all things that I had used to consider unreal. I am most interested in Elves, Faeries, and Dragons. It brings me great sorrow to think that such beings may be in danger as the Earth is. In fact, some of the posts here have brought tears to my eyes:cry:...it my greatest wish to restore the world to its former glory, when the Fey (as I have heard them reffered to) may once again walk among humans... (and I've gained a crazy notion that I'm a changling--for those of you who don't know this, a changling is the child of an Elf/Faerie/etc. who has been 'glamoured' to look like a certain human child and then the two are switched for whatever reason...there are certain signs of being a changling, many of which i show, but my the rational part of my brain says "And what makes you think you're so special to not be human? Even if such things are real," (at this point the rest of me cringes and curses off the rational-ness) "you can't be one of them, so get over yourself and get a life"

[Edited on 15/1/2007 by Galenlomeiel]
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2008 07:19
I think I saw a werewolf when I was a kid. I was in the woods in a country park I used to go to all the time, and this huge thing just stepped out on the path in front of me. It was about the size of a horse, completely black, and big yellow eyes. It stared at me for a few seconds and it really freaked me out... I think sometimes it might have been trying to connect with me... Anyhow, it was really weird and scary, but still, I really want to see it again one day...
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
Tanlaithien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2008 03:41
That's an interesting story, LOTR_obsessed_loony. There's just another example of how things like that can, and possibly do exist. I've said this many times, this lends itself to my wish that our modern world could slow down to take the time to contemplate and at least consider the fact that mythical creatures do exist.
Gumawerian
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2008 10:56
I would like to believe in Dragons They've been my favourite mythical creatures since... forever! When I was little I wanted to be one when I grew up...but unfortunately, I don't think that that will ever be the case. I've always felt that there are some mysterious things that work outside of our knowledge, and it fascinates me to no end... but I don't think that I can say I've ever had an encounter with any of them.
Tanlaithien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2008 06:10
That's cute, Gumawerian. I often wish I was an Elf or Faerie; I just think it would be fun. I used to want a Unicorn for a pet; I thought it would be great to have one... as corny as it sounds - make me feel like a Princess A dream I've had is to come face to face with a Unicorn; don't know if it will ever happen, but it's a dream. And there's always my writing!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email