Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Child_of_Lúthien
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: What would Tolkien have thought about the films?
on: August 11, 2014 12:38

First, with Tolkien, there would not be any movies

If you watch the extended dvd special features (theTolkien sections) on each of the movies, you will see that Tolkien actually supported the idea of making a movie based on his novels. He just wanted the right people to do it and at the time there was nobody able to do it the way he wanted it done.
Overall, I think Tolkien would have liked the films. Yes, they did cut out some of the great characters that he created and yes they did move some characters around in the story, but the essence of the story is still there and that is all that matters. I'm sure Tolkien would realize that, too.
Aelgas
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2014 12:39
I am inclined to believe that he'd have wanted a little more adherence to his writing along with 'the essence'. But overall he'd have liked the visualisation, I think. Of course, had he been alive to advise, he certainly would have done - to the bettrment of PJ's effort.

There are a few of the character and new event changes Tolkien might have accepted as necessary or more fit for today's audience, such as more of Aragorn and Arwen's romance brought into the main story and more effort made to develop Faramir into a more 3D character (I don't have a problem with PJ's Faramir, actually). But I hope Tolkien'd have been apoplectic about, for example, the debasing of Denethor and the weakening of Gandalf's character in RoTK in order to beef up an Aragorn that PJ (not personally) had previously weakened through poor writing.

Too much Gandalf! You're kidding? Gandalf is a major player in the Defence of Minas Tirith. Denethor had given up and Aragorn was dallying down amongst the dead men. Tolkien's Olórin could have taken the Witch-King with one had tied behind his back. That staff-breaking bit was totally superfluous, incuded just to dumb Gandalf down, one scene amongst several.

Sorry, that one's my personal bete-noir

IMO, Tolkien would have liked the visualisation and probably most of the effects - Balrogs, Army of the Dead, Mûmakil, Moria (although Lothlórien was hopelessly uninspired) - but hated most of the storyline and character changes.

[Edited on 13/1/2005 by Aelgas]
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 11, 2014 12:39
I'm not sure if Tolkien would have loved them or hated them. BUT the one thing I'm sure of is....he wouldn't like how they cut out all the poetry. Poetry plays a HUGE role in the books.

oh, and come to think of it.....he would have hated that they put Arwen in the place of Glorfindel. In the books Arwen is the Evenstar of her people, a treasure safely guarded and protected within the confines of Rivendell and Lothlorien. Aragorn was probably the only Man to have even set eyes on her. Tolkien would probably have been outraged that they changed her into a warrior princess.
LuthientheTinuviel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2014 12:40
I think that if Tolkien had been alive he would've been able to give more direction to Jackson and the writers, but without having Tolkien here to give his opinion I think that Jackson did an exceptional job. Yes some things were changed or left out or added and so on and so forth but all in all I believe that the whole cast and crew of the movies gave their all and made the movies a great success. I respect both the movies and the books but as seperate entities. Also the fact that Tolkien sold the film rights shows that he was probably at least a little open to different interpretations of his masterpiece.
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2014 12:41
I don't think Tolkien would be a very big fan of the movies because PJ couldn't capture every single thing that happened in the books, he could only use everything that was necessary for plot development and take a few people in and take a few people out. The movies were great and I believe they did as well as they could and I simply cannot call it bad because of all the work that everyone did to make it happen.

Tolkien is probably the type of person who would rather settle down with a book, rather than a movie, so that could greatly affect what he would think of it also.

[Edited on 6/5/2009 by Passepartout]
crystalarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2014 12:43
Honestly, I think Tolkien would be very disapointed and even angry at all the changes made from his book.

He would be grieved to watch the drastic change of Faramir and his whole part with Frodo and Sam. Taking them to Osgiliath was not what Tolkien wanted.

Also, I don't think he'd appreciate having Arwen replace Glorifindel.
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: August 11, 2014 12:43
Based on his reactions to the script of the proposed LotR movie in 1958 (Letter 210), I think Tolkien would be very annoyed by the changes made.
Seeing his dissatisfaction over Strider and the hobbits leaving Bree at night, Gandalf 'spluttering', and the fact that there was an actual fight on Weathertop, I can only imagine the extent of JRRT's outrage at "Go home", "The Ring will go to Gondor", or Gandalf's kung-fu-like handling of Denethor in RotK. :rolleyes:
The scripts for TTT and RotK would probably share the fate of Mr Zimmerman's RotK at that time- labelled 'totally unacceptable'

... and I must say I dearly wish he were alive and written a feedback on PJ's LotR movies. I'd cherish that one for sure :love:

I believe he would be pleased with most of the cast (especially Christopher Lee and Ian McKellen), and the scenery.

I think, Tolkien would dislike the childish relationship of Legolas and Gimli. He would be scared that they made Gimli to a clown and Legolas to an important main character.

:hug: I agree. Only I'd substitute 'scared' for 'upset'. Glad to see someone else shares my thoughts on this.

[Edited on 14/9/2010 by ~nólemë~]
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email