Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Tinúmelë
Council Member
Send Message
Post LOTR-most cringeworthy moment
on: December 26, 2003 01:22
So now having seen all three movies, which was THE LOTR moment that made you cringe? Gimli's constant jokes? Denethor becoming a fireball? Aragorn falling off the cliff?

Mine is definitely Legolas and the Oliphaunt, without a doubt, though in fact all his stunts were pretty cheesy.
LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
Post RE: LOTR-most cringeworthy moment
on: December 26, 2003 04:37
The Olympic Torch bearer running down the passage way at Helms Deep...it has got be one of the worst scenes ever...

[Edited on 26/12/2003 by LadyCeleborn]
toodlepip
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2003 05:14
i think its when Frodo drops his sword and falls over infront of the Nazgul on Weathertop, i get so embarassed for him coz its such a whimpy thing to do.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 26, 2003 05:21
For me, it was Théoden in TTT. I always thought of him as a strong man, a king in many ways. In the TTT, he seemed just a whining old man to me.
Fortunately, at the end of TTT and in RotK, he was the man I expected him to be, kingly, brave, a leader and a warrior.
Eden_of_the_WoodlandRealm
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2003 05:28
Definately Legolas and the cave troll, it looked like part of a video game, it was so bad....
Nothing else really, except that the end of ROTK, where Frodo is leaving, they dew it out far too long and it was just sickly. Apart from that... GREAT!!!
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2003 05:31
Oh, the fish! DEFFINATELY the fish! Gross!

[Edited on 12/27/2003 by iLikeLOTRaLittle2much]
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2003 05:40
Whenever there's blood in the scene, I can't stand it. Also, anything that's overly cheesy like the olympic torch, or the dozen times Gollum insults Sam by calling him "stupid, fat hobbit", or when the theater cheers for Legolas (especially the swinging on the horse move)
Nimloth
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2003 12:17
For me - a grey-haired, grey-bearded Aragorn picking up babe Eldarion and swinging him round. I shuddered. Yes, they needed a reason to make Arwen turn round again - well, they shouldn't have made her leave in the first place! This vision of her child, that was so unbearably tacky.
Naurlas
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 26, 2003 02:16
my most cringeworthy would have to be...Legolas and the Oliphaunt...owww!
_Rilaisseth_
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2003 07:05
The torch-bearer in TTT. I mean, orcs are stupid, just not THAT stupid.

And Denethor running away as a fireball and falling to his death. I laughed
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2003 04:45
The rabbits in TTT and the fish in ROTK make me feel sick. Denethor eating made me want to throw up.
snowystingray
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2003 06:51
The way Gandalf acted around Denethor in RotK just always seems off to me. He yells at him far too much, and come on! Beating him with his staff? Not a very Gandalf thing to do. And then with Denethor running off to his death... I don't know why they didn't leave that part as it was in the book and just have him lock himself inside.

I think everybody here is going to hate me when I say that I actually like all of Legolas's corny stunts. And Gimli's jokes in RotK! They seemed a little overboard in TTT, but I think in RotK they were all very appropriate (and amusing).
ShyHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2003 07:31
Sam falling down the hill at the Black Gate in TTT. It just looked really bad, IMO.

In RotK, when Gandalf pops Pipping with his staff when he tries to swear fealty to Denethor. This irked me more than anything else in the entire trilogy.
Este
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2003 10:43
Sauron pretending to be a giant flashlight:angry: and Denethor the Pig(ruined Billy`s wonderful song!:cry: ) in rotk,most of Gimli`s comic relief in ttt(in rotk I was actually ok with it),and as for fotr...can`t really remember anything now...:dizzy:

[Edited on 28/12/2003 by Este]
fishi
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2003 09:47
Arwen. Just... Arwen.

And the lighthouse of Sauron. Honestly, subtlety!
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: December 28, 2003 08:02
and Denethor the Pig

Lol! That's exactly what me and my friend called him!!!
eowynshue
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 28, 2003 08:08
in TTT theres one bit i cant bear. its when the 3 hunters are running and legolas says "they run as if the very whips of their masters were behind them" directly at the camera! i cant stand it lol strange i know lol
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2003 08:26
When Aragorn says, "Not idley to the leaves of Lothlorien fall."

Dude, just say you found something.

Oh and anything between Aragorn and Eowyn

[Edited on 28/12/2003 by vaya]
Tinúmelë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2003 09:06
Why has nobody mentioned Frodo's chicken dance??? *shudders*
ILoveMrBloom
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2003 09:53
Eowyn singing on TTT EE i makes me crack up! i know its sopposed to be emotional but i dunno i just cant take it....:evil:
woodstar
Therapist for Gollum
Send Message
on: December 28, 2003 10:44
The thing that made me cringe the most, I would have to say is Legolas's obvious lines. . like hello, it's Mr. Obvious, telling us something we already know. He has the worst lines in the movies!
Navalina
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 04:23
Every scene Arwen's in makes me want to throw up, seriously. And some of Legolas' lines were soooo stupid, think 'A diversion', 'Orcs!'. And every time Frodo is attacked, it's like he feels a sudden urge to drop his sword and fall onto the ground. Denethors eating habits aren't all that either.
FireQueen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 08:10
Most cringe worthy moment...... Legolases cheesy stunts and some of his lines are just plain stupid, Gimli the comic relief dwarf and the EYEBALL LIGHTHOUSE :angry:

[Edited on 29/12/2003 by FireQueen]
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 08:17
Ok, the most cringeworthy moment, which had slipped my mind before, and with good cause, is when theyre all jumping in the bed.

Ok, I can deal with certain amounts of hoyay, and say that it's in peoples minds, but that's pushing the limits. :dizzy:
Sassafras
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 09:01
For me I guess it would be the fish-eating scene in ROTK. It's just gross.

I love all of Legolas' stunts, Gimli's jokes, Eowyn's song (makes me cry every time), Arwen, Aragorn with his son (beautiful scene), etc.
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 09:07
For me I guess it would be the fish-eating scene in ROTK. It's just gross.

in that case, I recommend that you don't see the dinner scene in Dead Alive...grossest, scene ever!

There is somehting about Peter and eating.
~wild_shieldmaiden~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 11:02
Ye thinks that Legolas is Mr. Obvious? How's this:
'I am asleep.'
Ugg.
And I have to say that it saddend me that people laugh when Denethor's on fire. There's nothing funny about someone going crazy and burning themselves alive.

I love all of Legolas' stunts, Gimli's jokes, Eowyn's song (makes me cry every time), Arwen, Aragorn with his son (beautiful scene), etc.

I totally agree with you, Sassafras!
Although I'll admit I started giggling when Arwen sees her son. The day before I had written a bit in one of my fic.s where the heroine sees a vision of her son-to-be... :dizzy:
Guess I'll have to re-write that bit, lol!
Ilrhenir
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 11:03
When everyones jumping on the bed in ROTK and Frodo says 'Gimli'. And Denethor on fire. I guess they hadn't come out with stop, drop and roll at that time.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 11:23
that's hard:

- Boromir being a blonde, Galads going bonkers & Celeborn
- half of TTT, especially: Aragorn's tumble off the cliff, Elves at Helm's Deep, stupid Ents, no Éomer and everything Osgiliath
- the scene in ROTK with the bed - yikes, that was too corny even for me
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 12:10
Yes, I find the way that Gimli jumps through the door to be kinda corny...it makes me snicker when I watch the movie.

The other thing that always gets me is the full face shot of Figwit when he's calling after Arwen when she turns around to leave...all I can think is "could his nostrils BE any rounder?" Kinda blows the scene for me..

[Edited on 12/29/2003 by Aowyn]
fishi
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 01:35
Why has nobody mentioned Frodo's chicken dance??? *shudders*

Because it was awesome? Seriously, being a hobbit would be worth it for the dance.

Yes, I find the way that Gimli jumps through the door to be kinda corny...it makes me snicker when I watch the movie.

For a moment I thought he was about to jump onto the bed too.
Ithil623
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 08:15
-Celeborn
-Frodo's reaction when the troll stabbed him in the mines(I mean come on dude, you didn't get hurt, get over it)
-Evil Faramir(and at times Boromir)
-Pig Denethor
-Gimli's jokes in TTT
-A lot of Arwen's scenes
-the Eowyn/Aragorn/Arwen thing
-eye spotlight
-Theoden during most of TTT
-Not enough Ents or Eomer
But the thing that bothered me the most is Gandalf wacking both the Steward and Pippin when he was offering his sword to Gondor.
Morque
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 09:46
I personally think that any moment where Pippin is being admonished by somebody, is cringeworthy. I mean, I suppose his curiousity got the better of him most of the time, but why did they make him out to be so bad? I mean, come on, cut the Hobbit some slack...he doesn't need to mess up and be yelled at pretty much every scene he's featured in....:dizzy:
Dottie
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 07:30
Well I liked Legolas' stunts and Gimli's silly lines they always seemed to come just at the right moment to stop a well up of tears.

I have to say that Aragorn bugged me. There is something wrong with his voice during that last scene when he's being crowned king. Its not very kingly. And what is up with that crown?

Oh and speaking of head gear the pointy helments the soldiers of Gondor are wearing always made me snicker.
LadyArwen2490
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 08:22
Sorry but i am going to have to agree with Dottie I love all of Legolas' stunts, (probably because I'm a huge Legolas lover soo....:love::love::love::heart::heart::heart::drool:
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email