Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
Post RE: LOTR-most cringeworthy moment
on: December 31, 2003 12:54
FOTR- "Let's hunt some orc!" I mean, what a truly disgusting modernisation of the script which was otherwise beautifully old-fashioned.

TTT- Any of the times when Legolas stops at the beginning and feels the need to deliver a line to the camera. Just keep running, you're in a hurry, remember?

ROTK- (and I'm amazed no one's mentioned this yet) Elrond producing Anduril. *pukes* Probably the cheesiest moment in film-making history, I was desperately trying to stifle my laughter at the sheer ridiculous unsubtlety of it. Since PJ had decided to hold off giving Aragorn his sword, I thought it promised something special and powerul in ROTK, but this made what could have been quite a poignant moment into no more than a joke. I half expected the Hallelujah chorus to start up in the background, but fortunately Howard Shore was merciful.

Kiss
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: December 31, 2003 05:01
FOTR- "Let's hunt some orc!" I mean, what a truly disgusting modernisation of the script which was otherwise beautifully old-fashioned.

FFK, I quite agree: I hated that line! It was like all of a sudden Arnold Schwarzenegger had taken control of the movie. Yikes.

ROTK- (and I'm amazed no one's mentioned this yet) Elrond producing Anduril. *pukes* Probably the cheesiest moment in film-making history, I was desperately trying to stifle my laughter at the sheer ridiculous unsubtlety of it. Since PJ had decided to hold off giving Aragorn his sword, I thought it promised something special and powerul in ROTK, but this made what could have been quite a poignant moment into no more than a joke. I half expected the Hallelujah chorus to start up in the background, but fortunately Howard Shore was merciful.

I didn't mind that scene, but I do think it was a missed chance: it should have been Arwen or the Dúnedain, but not Elrond. Oh, and Elrond stepping up to Aragorn was ... weird.
Gilwen_the_Sorceress
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2003 05:17
FotR
Ignoring Faramir(In fact, that bother me from all movies), changing everything at the council, eh, many missing things.

TTT

Faramir´s portrayal, absolutely
No Voice of Saruman, no She-lobs, it would help to have more time in RotK

RotK (is fresh and hot)

No Saruman, I really think he had to be there!! his death and Grima´s ...
I will never forgive:
Faramir ignored, and stilll not alike to book-Faramir, but a weaker Faramir. Book Faramir never cry he´s a very patient man.
And Gandalf??? He´s little bit rude, ask Denethor , he almost pushed him into the fire What is that??? The truth is that Gandalf tried to help Denethor too!!
Again, everything concerning Lord Denethor, No palantir involved, just a bad guy, vulgar and superficial and never cryed for his son (as in book), definitely someone to hate but not to understand Pig Denethor and Denethor the stick strike´s bearer Poor guy! in book and for worst in movie too.
What happened to Theoden? No funeral for such a great king? and Eomer? Now Aragorn is king of Rohan or something.
No Houses of Healings, NO romance Eowyn-Faramir:angry::angry:
The celebrations were poor!! , no weddings, no Celeborn and Galdriel in Gondor

[Edited on 31/12/2003 by Gilwen_the_Sorceress]
Aragorns-Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2003 06:29
Denethor eating while Pippin is singing..ewww...

The fish thing..my and my friend were about to barf

The smallness of Legolas's lines.."A deversion" ack..

Personally, I loved the oliphaunt

Whenever Aragorn is running in front of everyone before battle, his voice is a little..odd..

Too much Frodo, sam, and gollum

The thing with Frodo wrapped up in web...ack ack..

in FotR when Frodo gets stabbed, he looks so weird..

I agree with Tinúmelë, Frodo chicken dance..painfull
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2003 09:55
FotR: There are two. First and foremost is the appearance of Arwen taking Aragorn by suprise in the wild. I knew then that PJ was making Aragorn weak. Second was the multi-ton, gravity defying stairwell wavering back upright as it crumbled. Along with this cringe is everyone standing at the edge of the same stairway that hasn't broken while the broken part rams full-on into it. It was SO a Hollywood moment.

TTT: Legolas skateboarding on a shield.

RotK: Legolas's acrobatics with the Mûmakil. I got a bit irritated at the stupid fangirls of Orli when they started squealing over it, and I missed Gimli's great line 'That still only counts as one!" I didn't catch that until my second viewing at a theatre that threw people out for making any noise.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Lady_Joan_of_Ingatestone
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2004 12:23
Hrm, here goes...

FotR:

- Arwen putting her sword to Aragorn's throat. Come on!!! :dizzy:
- Rivendell/Elrond a bit off. (I think Peter Jackson (in general) didn't quite get the elves, except for Legolas - who was perfect in FotR, but got turned into shield-surfing prettyboy by TTT. Oh well.)

And absolutely the worst single moment of all three films...

- Galadriel's Evil Cyborg Impression at the mirror!!!!!:angry: Urgh, how awful! Did Peter Jackson know the meaning of the phrase "terrible and beautiful?" Obviously not. PJ is waaaaaaay too infatuated w/ darkness, overall.

TTT:

- Faramir. :cry::angry: My favorite character in the whole book, desecrated. Doesn't LOOK like Faramir, doesn't ACT like Faramir. I'm tempted to believe that the real Faramir ended up in that unmarked grave with Glorfindel and Tom Bombadil.
- Frodo offering the Ring to the Nazgul. It was so ridiculous...

RotK:

- The fish. :dizzy: I couldn't stand it! Why did we need a fullscreen shot of Gollum's oozing teeth ripping out fish guts?! NASTY!!!!!!!
- The Dead looking like the undead pirates from PotC - very unwise, seeing as Orlando Bloom was standing right there and EVERYONE was gonna say the same thing...
- Frodo when he gets stung by Shelob. I am now convinced that PJ shot one sequence of Frodo's anguished face and used it whenever Frodo gets hurt. And he makes that same "OOF - nygh-ackh-eioc-urck" noise every time! Sigh...
- Denethor's face twitching, Denethor pigging out and drooling all over himself, Denethor getting beaten by Gandalf and then jumping off Minas Tirith like a flaming meteorite, without having said anything intelligent or moving in the entire movie. Why? WHY??!!
- and last but not least, Kleig-Light Sauron. Whatever!
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: January 01, 2004 01:02

- The Dead looking like the undead pirates from PotC - very unwise, seeing as Orlando Bloom was standing right there and EVERYONE was gonna say the same thing...

Yeah well, The special effects for that were probably planned and maybe even finished before POTC came out..

Sauron's eye in general just annoyed me. I thought it looked just a little bit silly being stuck on top of Baradur and I always imagined it more as a sort of presence rather than an actaul physical eyeball. And the searchlight bit was just over the top.

The elves arriving at helms deep and them fighting there. Just... no!

The fact that Legolas can bring down a massive Mumakil in under a minute but can't shoot down an unarmoured uruk who's not exactly difficult to see considering he's holding a huge flaming torch!

The whole Osgiliath thing. Need I say anymore?
White_Lady_of_Rohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2004 06:50
Everything Legolas says throughout the movies is very obvious. His stunts are rediculous, except I must admit that the mounting-the-galloping-horse trick was kinda cool.
Gimli's jokes are ok, but him burping in Meduseld was very cringeworthy.
The lighthouse/Saruon's eye was a little wierd...
The bedroom scene was cheezy, but very funny! Gimli was like "hey hey hey, wait for me!"
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: January 01, 2004 10:01
11 words for ya...

"a red sun rises, blood has been spilt in the night"

that has to be the entire worst line of the entire three films. whatever happened to finding the sun.
Frodos_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 01, 2004 03:34
How can ya'll hate Legolas' moves? That oliphaunt thing was just awesome... Anyway, things that made me cringe:

1. Frodo's weakness in the movie; he just gave in WAY too easy to the Ring compared with how strong he was in the book.
2. How Gollum kept touching Frodo; God, get off him, you little pervert! :angry:
3. The Smeagol/Deagol scene was just plain disturbing...
4. It actually annoys me more than it makes me cringe, but what was the deal with Eowyn when Aragorn came back in TTT after falling off the cliff? She was gonna go hug him, then he gets the Evenstar back and she's all "oh, yeah, he's not single..." Did she think he'd hit his head on a rock and forgotten about Arwen, or what?
5. That disgusting orc leader in ROTK; "meat chunks" as my sister calls him :dizzy: Showing him once was enough, thank you very little, lol.
6. Faramir's dramatic change in TTT.
7. Denethor's drama queen personality.
8. "The horses are restless." No, ya think?!
9. Gollum's constant discussions with himself. Okay, Pete, we get it-- the little freak's loony, and he wants to kill Frodo. WE KNOW.
10. Frodo sending Sam away. Bad Jackson! bad!

I think that's good...
Tinúmelë
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2004 12:58
Why has nobody mentioned Frodo's chicken dance??? *shudders*

Because it was awesome? Seriously, being a hobbit would be worth it for the dance.

The only time I would EVER agree to that statementwas if I'd had too much of the Old Toby...
Rethehare
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2004 03:52
I wonder why nobody mentioned Frodo frothing like a rabid dog after Shelob got him? That was poisoned injection not poisoned food! And he looked disgusting.
Second worst Denethor as a running torch.
Third Galadriel connected to too high voltage current.(Somebody pull out the plug!!!)
Frodos_One_True_Love
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2004 11:52
Hmmm, let's see... cringworthy...
~Not so much Galadriel going all freaky, but the fact that right after she says: "I pass the test"..uh-huh...hate to see what would happen if she failed the test o_O:dizzy:
~Gimli *burping* in the Golden Hall...sheesh
~Frodo after he got stung by Shelob. He made the weirdest noise and then he started foaming at the mouth. My sister looked at me in the theater and said "erm...is he gonna throw up or something?"
~Denethor and his..erm..lack of tabel manners. Meanwhile, poor Pippin is just standing there, thinking "I wish he'd give me some, I'm hungry."
~I don't mind this, but my mom thinks Frodo's "ring-induced-trance" is rather odd.

And I really don't mind most of Legolas' stunts..I usually laugh actually. Espically the "skater elf" at helm's deep.
White_Lady_of_Rohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2004 02:45
~Frodo after he got stung by Shelob. He made the weirdest noise and then he started foaming at the mouth. My sister looked at me in the theater and said "erm...is he gonna throw up or something?"
My friend laughed (she was the only one) because to her, he sounded constipated.

How Gollum kept touching Frodo; God, get off him, you little pervert!
Like when Gollum kept groping Frodo's shoulder at the Black Gate? That was... uh, different.

I forgot about Frodo's chicken dance! *shudders* Creepyness :dizzy:

I didn't like it when Gimli said "certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" Sounds like he was planning to enjoy that. And it just had to be followed by Legolas' oh so intelligent observations: "a diversion." *gags*
orlando_obsessive
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2004 03:13
i really really didnt like Denethor's eating!! I couldn't look at the screen. I also majorly disliked Legolos' to-the-camera lines in TTT. That was soooooo corny and stupid! And also the jumping on the bed scene in RotK - it was not needed! I thought it was so stupid. Oh yeh, and the Smeagol/Dreagol scene at the beginning of RotK - yuk! And oh course Frodo frothing etc. aftre being stung. He looked like plastic, and sounded like a dying pig!

"a diversion" - nah! i thought it was a purple tiger!
PervyOrcFancier
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2004 03:20
Cringeworthy moments in the LOTR films? I'd say everytime Arwen, Legolas or Elrond were on screen madse me cringe- but especially every time Arwen cried or when Legolas.. make that impossible oliphant stunt- that was just plain cheesy.

Frodos_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 03, 2004 03:47
How Gollum kept touching Frodo; God, get off him, you little pervert!
Like when Gollum kept groping Frodo's shoulder at the Black Gate? That was... uh, different.

Ehh, not so much as after he helped Frodo up the Stair, and when he took his hand after the fight with Sam by the pool; I'd be afraid of touching the little freak! :angry:

Concerning Frodo's reaction to Shelob's sting...not the best reaction out there, but sad and heartwrenching all the same. :cry:

[Edited on 4/1/2004 by Frodos_elf]
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 03, 2004 04:35
The 'black-Galadriel' thing was quite like the book has written it. It hasn't changed too much, I thought.
Gollum's dual personality, well, uhm... I tried to imagine myself, living for about 500 years alone and my mind slowly poisoned. In the books, he's a lot weirder. I like Andy Serkis' interpretation of Gollum.
I'd say everytime Arwen, Legolas or Elrond were on screen madse me cringe- but especially every time Arwen cried or when Legolas.. make that impossible oliphant stunt- that was just plain cheesy.
IMHO, both Arwen and Elrond were of a major importance to Aragorn; Elrond as his sort-of stepdad, Arwen as the love of his long life giving him more strength than any promise of a crown could give. And as far as I remember, Legolas did not say many things in the books either (although more than in the movies, that is true). He was mostly there to fight with the fellowship. The mûmakil stunt was not in the books but hey, I liked it.
And oh course Frodo frothing etc. aftre being stung. He looked like plastic, and sounded like a dying pig!
I heard dying pigs once in a documentary, but I cannot remember they sounded like Frodo. And why shouldn't he look like plastic (or wax maybe)? After all, he was poisoned and he was in some sort of 'coma'. And though it was not fully dark, light can do strange things to visions.
Frodos_One_True_Love
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 08:26
My friend laughed (she was the only one) because to her, he sounded constipated.

LOL! Yeah, now that I think about it, that's what it sounded like!
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 12:21
Galadriel lighting up like a roman candle.
Zombie Celeborn.
Murdering Faramir's character, the whole dragging-them-off-to-Osigiliath bit, ringwraith seeing Frodo with the ring...Aaaaarrrrggghhh! (kicks orc helmet and breaks big toe).
Having Aragorn fall off a cliff...what a waste of screen time.
The whole Arwen is dying bit...very bad. Excuse me, but Aragorn has bigger fish to fry, like saving Middle-Earth from complete annihilation. THEY"RE ALL GOING TO DIE, PJ.
(kicks another orc helmet....oowwww).
Denethor...need I say more.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Galeros
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 05:26
Did anyone else notice how Elrond's eyes were bulging when he was presenting Anduril to Aragorn.
Miredhel_of_Gondolin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 05:35
Legolas' ridiculous lines: "a diversion!" UGH
Galadriel's freaky Zeus voice
The glowing Jello fortress of Minas Morgul
Flashlight eye of Sauron
"The Ring will go to Gondor"
Aragorn being stepped on by a troll while Leggy is spotless as usual PJ just didn't make Aragorn majestic enough. He relied too much on Arwen
Deletion of Glorfindel AHHHHH :angry:
Aragorn's coronation speech about how the land belongs to all of us (this land is my land, this land is your land)

Hey, I liked the chicken dance! It was cute! Oh and about Elrond giving Anduril to Aragorn. If they had to wait till ROTK to do it, I thought it was nice to have Elrond do it. I mean, would have been better to have the Grey Company and Elrond's SONS come, but that's being addressed in another thread. It just showed that Elrond had finally accepted Aragorn's relationship with Arwen, I guess. If we want to be book purists (which I generally am) we could say, yes, but hadn't he already accepted it, with the condition that Aragorn was king yadda yadda. But it's a movie, people, so live with it. So far as is possible.

~*Miredhel

[Edited on 5/1/2004 by Miredhel_of_Gondolin]
Lady~of~the~Shield~Arm
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2004 03:42
Almost at the end of RotK; the happy-bed-jumping-thing.. It was just too much of it!

Also the Palantir-thing in RotK.. When Pippin can't take his hands of it etc. :angry: Just annoying!
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 05, 2004 06:40

Also the Palantir-thing in RotK.. When Pippin can't take his hands of it etc. :angry: Just annoying!
Maybe because of this:
"But our whole life for months had been one long meddling in the affairs of Wizards", said Pippin. "I should like a bit of information as well as dangers. I should like a look at that ball."
(From TTT, chapter 'the palantír')
If Pippin did not look into the palantír, then Sauron would not have been thinking that Saruman had the 'hobbit-with-the-ring' and there would be no need to separate Pippin from Merry. The whole 'Gandalf-Pippin' part would not be necessary and so on.
Bookfaramir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2004 07:32
The most cringeworthy moment in the trilogy for me was in TTT, when "stoned" Frodo in Osgiliath tries to put the Ring on his finger in front of the Nazgul and the fell beast and then nearly kills Sam.:angry::angry:

I also disliked the following scenes:

- Faramir saying "The Ring will go to Gondor." in TTT:angry:

- Denethor becoming a fireball

- Bilbo's ugly face after he sees the Ring in Rivendell

- Frodo sending Sam away on the stairs of Cirith Ungol
lucifercries
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2004 04:32
The torch-bearer in TTT. I mean, orcs are stupid, just not THAT stupid.

But...he was a suicide bomber O_o

[Edited on 11/4/2004 by Rivka]
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: January 06, 2004 11:53
In regards to Frodo's "chicken-dance", I thought, maybe, he was doing some form of the "springle-ring." I rather liked it!
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
elfgurl
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2004 04:20
Hahahaha! Whew! Just crying from laughter at everyone's comments. I haven't been on for a while and my, have this site gotten funny.

Ok, on with my cringes:
1. Elrond doing his Matrix-style-swordpulling-in-slow-swooshing-maneuver.
2. Legolas' "A diversion"-that really fits in with the dumb blonde category cuz he just pulled a Jessica.
3. Elrond's twitchy eyebrows
4. Frodo's very dramatic fall to the ground that's like 2 feet below
5. Hehe-the part where Sam says "It would've been her!" and right after Frodo says "I'm glad to be here with you Sam, at the end of all things"----cringggggggee
6. the fish-eating
samandfrodoforever
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2004 11:47
* The search light Eye of Sauron. *gag*
* All the Arwen flashback scenes. "Then it is a good dream." *vomit*
* Haha I loved Frodo's dance it was adorable.
* I don't know why but I sort of like the rabid Frodo as well. I think his little sounds are cute. Uh ehh erm...
* Pig Denethor? I know I might get slapped for this... one word: BRILLIANT! PJ was so smart for making him such an evil pig... I read him that way in the story. He wished his younger son were dead rather than his eldest! He wants to burn Faramir alive, he's cruel, and he has no balls. He's bloody insane and a gutless ruler. Also we sort of needed a more human bad guy in the third film since Saruman was forgotten completely. Nice work PJ. Oh and I said before I couldn't think of a better juxtaposition of beauty, life, and courage and gluttony, ugliness, and selfishness than the Steward of Gondor scene. BRILLIANT!
* Leggy's stunts? Well I don't mind them. I loved the oliphaunt.
* Gimli's dumb jokes... and the belch!!! Argh... I feel like they made him so stupid and laughable. "Squirrel droppings?" (EE fans know!). I mean he's already short, and unfortunately the least attractive member of the fellowship, does he also have to be stupid and the butt of all the jokes? I will admit that I laugh hysterically at some of his lines. "Orc blood" * "YES!" * "You'll have to toss me" * "Not the beard!" * "That still counts as one" * "Because he's got my ax imbedded in his nervous system!" Ahhh Gimli, gotta love him!
* Um I didn't really like how Aragorn flirted so shamelessly with Eowyn. I mean that's just wrong! Doesn't he know how fragile a woman's emotions are? I felt like screaming "If you want her, just take her. Arwen doesn't have to know." I just really always felt they'd make a better couple. Maybe because Arwen really isn't in the books, so I only have the movie impression of her. She's beautiful, an elf, a princess, etc... but her pesonality is kind of boring. Eowyn on the other hand is exciting and beautiful. If I were a man I'd choose her over Arwen any day.
* I don't get the impression that Frodo is weak... but after the first film a lot of people get that impression. I think after the TT he comes off a little more brave, but the offering the ring to the Nazgul was kind of dumb. Looked really awesome though. The audience can't really know what's happening inside Frodo unless they read the books, so it's hard not to see his falling as being weak. The ring is a powerful thing.

But seriously I love these films so much, have seen them so many times, and have heard the lines so many times that I actually cherish the cheesier parts. I mean poking fun of those parts is sort of part of the love and appeal for me. I love saying "Here comes the Olympic torch runner!" "Warning CGI Legolas coming up" "Fastforward it's an Arwen/Aragorn scene." Me and my friends have even muted the film and put our own empressions over them. I can't go into too much detail about it because our characterizations might be considered offensive to some. Just imagine Faramir saying "The ring will go to Gondor" with a lisp and a valley girl accent. Legolas as Miss Piggy and Gimli as Kermit. Hours of fun I tell you! xx-Amanda :evil:

#1 thing that pissed me off and made me cringe: When Sam says: "Rosie Cotton dancing...She had ribbons in her hair.. If ever I was to marry someone...It would have been her.. It would have been her!" AHHHHH!!! No! Okay when you think you are about to die, and you are with your best friend who you idolize and love more than anyone in the world, you do NOT mention some horny desire for a girl you've barely talked to. It ruined everything that Frodo and Sam went through, their love. It just diminished their friendship a little. He should have said "Frodo I love you." Frodo then could have said "I love you too. I'm glad to be with you, Samwise Gamgee...Here at the end of all things." Then they could have done that painfully sweet and beautiful thing they did with their foreheads pressed together, holding each other. I mean I still love the scene for the sweetness, sentiment, and affection, but leave Miss Rosie Cotton out of things for the moment.

[Edited on 23/1/2004 by samandfrodoforever]

[Edited on 23/1/2004 by samandfrodoforever]
danicolman
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 04:24
My biggest LotR peeve has got to be Legolas' talent for stating the bleeding obvious. "A diversion." No, you think? And "The horses are restless, and the men are quieter." "Neeeeiiiiiigh!"

I'll admit Orlando Bloom looks very good as an elf. He still annoys the hell outta me, though. However, he redeems himself in RotK with the expression on his face when Aragorn is being stepped on - that is so emotive.

However, Aragorn being stepped on is another peeve of mine. He should be very dead by the time Frodo dumps the ring in Mount Doom. Actually, so should Gollum - how many times has he fallen off something steep by now? You'd think the fall in Cirith Ungol would have finished the little bugger off!

I'm also at a loss to understand why they had to make the dead guys green. Disgusting and rotting maybe, but green? Even PotC was less cheesy than that.

And finally, Eowyn killing the fell beast. I may be too bloodthirsty, but think about it. She lopped the thing's head off, severing at least one major artery. But it doesn't bleed. Eowyn is still remarkably clean at the end of it, when her lovely blonde hair should have gone a wonderful shade of crimson. Anyway, that wouldn't have been to everyone's tastes, but that's one thing that really bugged me. If we're going for realism, then our computer graphics ought to be anatomically and biologically correct.

Dani
samandfrodoforever
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 08:18
Hey guys, what is up with the alignment of this page? :dizzy: xx-Amanda
Andtalathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 08:54
Ok, the most cringeworthy moment, which had slipped my mind before, and with good cause, is when theyre all jumping in the bed.

Ok, I can deal with certain amounts of hoyay, and say that it's in peoples minds, but that's pushing the limits.

Oh God, I know. Any chances of vaguely enjoying that moment went out the window for me when I realised the people who write hobbit slash were going to have a field day and we wouldn't see the end of "hobbits romping on the bed" stories for months yet.

Okay... I didn't like any of the Arwen scenes, nor any of Legolas' little stunts. I really didn't like the new violent side of Gandalf in RotK either (bashing Denethor to the ground, prodding and poking people randomly with his staff). Just seemed kind of un-Gandalf-like to me. The most cringeworthy moments had to be the way Legolas always stated the absolutely blatantly in-your-face obvious. Some people in the movie theatre actually laughed when he said some of his most "well, duuuh" lines. I mean, really. "Orcs!" "Goblins!" "The Horn of Gondor!" "A diversion!" "Crebain from Dunland!" etc etc. Thanks, Legolas, cos we hadn't figured that out ten minutes ago.

Pig Denethor = gross. I felt so sick just to watch him. >_<
Andtalathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 09:06
Aaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!! I forgot another cringey bit, one of the absolute worst in my opinion. In RotK, when Sam and Frodo are in Mordor and the Eye of Sauron flashlight thing passes over them? And Frodo falls to the ground... and oh my lord, he fell in such a totally random twisted freaky position, I burst out laughing when I saw it. Couldn't help myself...
~Narya~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 11:51
LOTR: I absolutely didn´t like the moment when Gandalf made Frodo decide whether they should go through Moria or not and then when Frodo with his baby blues wide open chose Moria, Gandalf made a sigh and looked like "well, when I go into the shadows it will be your fault".

And then I didn´t like the way PJ exaggerated some really good parts of the books:
1) when Gandalf grew "tall and menacing" talking to Bilbo. He might have grown tall but more in an entish kind of way. It looked so weird.
2) Galadriel at her mirror. In the book that was superbly written, in LOTR she just went green and, like someone said, spoke with a voice like Zeus.

TTT: So many cringeworthy moment... many alredy mentioned. The murder of Faramir, i must say was the most irritating. And side-kick-Gimli. Or for that matter the enoying peasant children whom I wished just had stayed at their village.

ROTK: The creepy smile on Elronds face when Aragorn and Arwen starts some heavy making out at his coronation (!).
When Frodo sees Gandalf at the end and both start a weird sort of laughing and then the bedjumping... don´t get me started. But then Legolas entered the room and I started to like the movie again.

Because Legolas or ANY of his moves never makes me cringe...:blush:

Sorry for the spelling - or lack of it - english is my second language. Sindarin is my first (I wish!).
Aragorn_n_Nat
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2004 01:54
I loved all 3 movies, but I really didn't like:

1. Legsie's dodgy stunts... *shudder*
2. How Arwen just sat there and did nothing except CRY for most of the trilogy.
3. Frodo's chicken dance
4. How Frodo always falls over, gets hurt and starts making strange noises like there's no tomorrow.
5. How poor Gimli turned into comic relief
6. How Denethor's a mean 'n' nasty old man who made Faramir look so depressed and everything else about him

I liked the bed scene! It was sweet, and the whole Fellowship (minus Boromir) was reunited. And Aragorn and little Eldarion... awwww....

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email