Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
~Vic~
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: LOTR-most cringeworthy moment
on: January 25, 2004 09:57
there wasn't really that much in LOTR that made me cringe, but there are a few things:

annoying things
- That stupid line legolas says when they are running in TTT. that was actually the only time i thought legolas was annoying.. :blush:
- the whole spotlight thing in ROTK. ack! :angry:
- when shelob stabs frodo and frodo starts foaming at the mouth

gross things
- bilbo going crazy in FOTR. actually, i've only seen that part once even though i've seen the movie countless times; i always close my eyes at that part LOL :blush:
- sméagol eating the fish in ROTK. ewww

so that's pretty much it..
Twinkle
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 04:46
I don't have a problem with Legolas's stunts, i thought they were cool. The part that made me cringe was Gollum eating the fish, i was nearly sick. And i laughed so hard when denethor ran off the cliff as a fireball. The tune "burn baby burn" was in my head for other a week.
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 05:00
bilbo going crazy in FOTR. actually, i've only seen that part once even though i've seen the movie countless times; i always close my eyes at that part LOL :blush:

Oh god I have to agree with you there. When I first saw that in the theater my heart jumped! I know he was supposed to turn a bit evil but OMG that was really freaky!!

I watched it in my AP Chem class at the end of last year (just for kicks since my teacher was a huge fan) and all the girls screamed! It was funny
GillyWhitfootofHaysend
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2004 01:31
Silly Things:
-Sam in ROTK when he is trying to save Frodo from the Tower and lets out that weak growl that THE ORCS ARE SCARED OF!
-Frodo dancing in FOTR.Crazy,but fits the Shire Dancing.
-Boromirs lines.Just to Shakespeare for me.
-Denethors death.I remember going "What?" when he ran off like a comet.
-Frodo and Gollum fighting over the Ring on Mt.Doom.Even though it was good acting and all that.But,going Invisible and biting off the wrong finger(I know its for Sign-of-the-times reasons)?!?And Gollum climbing all over Invisible Frodo was funny.
-Anything with Merry and Pippin in TTT EE.And,I mean this in a good way.
Horrible things:
-Merry drinking the Orc Drink in TTT EE.Sad and gross all at once.
-Mean Eomer and Faramir.
-Shelob part of ROTK.Please,Sam-Call to Elbereth!And,Frodo-this is not a Holocaust Movie!Don't foam at the mouth like that(Where did she sting him?I forgot.)!
Frodo all up in the Webs was just to badly done.He looked like Marlyn Manson Paralized(My thought on the subject)!
Celebrianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2004 03:14
The whole Arwen is dying bit...very bad. Excuse me, but Aragorn has bigger fish to fry, like saving Middle-Earth from complete annihilation.

I did not like the Arwen is dying addition to the script but I have learnt to live with it. However, it was necessary to allude to Arwen here. In the book when Aragorn took the Path of the Dead, it can probably be deduced that the message that Arwen sent expedited his decision to take it. Arwen sent a message with Halbarad of the Dunedain to Aragorn saying, "The days now are short. Either our hope cometh, or all hopes end. Therefore, I send thee what I have made for thee. Farewell, Elfstone." It is said after Aragorn received this message he looked to the North and was silent for the rest of the evening. (ROTK)

Furthermore, when Aragorn came out of the Path of the Dead he took the name Elessar, which also means Elfstone. Aragorn had in his possession The Elfstone which was given to him by Arwen. The Elfstone came to Arwen through Celebrian, her mother, who in turn was given the Elfstone by Galadriel, her mother. If Arwen was not important in the Path of the Dead journey, why then did Aragorn take the name Elessar after he came out of the Paths of the Dead?

Also, Elrond was the one who told Aragorn to remember the Path of the Dead. He sent word to Aragorn through his sons telling Aragorn, "The days are short. If thou are in haste, remember the Pahs of the Dead."

Now to the topic of this tread. I found Denethor aflame the must cringeworthy moment. Also, when Haldir was slayed by a wound to the head.
~Estel~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2004 04:44
Frodo just falling over at Weathertop...stop, drop, and roll is for FIRE, buddy, not Nazgul.

Legolas and the Oliphaunt as well. Use digital effects...much? Just too far over the top, even for an elf.

Arwen and her slurred lines. All of them.

The whole Frodo sending Sam away thing. For many reasons...not the least of which is him breaking down and crying. Feeling hurt and betrayed? Sure...but that was just too...I dunno...childish somehow.

And the Orcs coming upon the not-dead Frodo after Shelob got him, and saying "this fellow ain't dead, blah blah blah"...it's like they were saying it TO someone INTENTIONALLY.
Heather_lotrfan
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2004 06:26
The jumping on the bed was a bit corny to me too. I mean, come on! A bunch of guys jumping on the bed? When does that actually happen? And what are Frodo and Gandalf laughing about? They won't stop! What's so funny? ARGH!
jerri
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2004 08:20
When Aragorn says 'Lets hunt some Orc.' Like hes in a old west movie.
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: April 10, 2004 09:54
For me, the single most cringe-worthy moment is Legolas skateboarding down the stairs in TTT. I can live with just about all his other stunts, but that one drives me insane.

Celeborn...talking...bad...

Denethor's death scene. Absolutely detest the changes to that -- they robbed his story line of all gravitas and meaning.

And, hey, call me corny, but I like the bed-jumping scene in RotK, LOL. What are Merry and Pippin supposed to do, stand around stiffly and say "Gee, Frodo, glad you're okay?" Although, I do find it odd that they rub his tummy. What's up with that?
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Vanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2004 05:47
For me it was in FOTR when Haldir brings them to the top of the hill as they are about to enter Caras Galahon. He was like "Caras Galadhon. Home of Elvendom[/b] on earth. Realm of the Lord [i]Celeborn, and of Galadriel, Lady of Light." Just something in the way he says it is unbearably cheesy. Watch that scene carefully next time and you will understand what I am talking about. :twitch:

[Edited on 11/4/2004 by Vanya]
Tinúmelë
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2004 05:53
Oh, I have another one. I don't know if its a cringeworthy moment but it certainly bugs me. When Haldir dies at Helms Deep in Aragorn's arms, and Aragorn lays a hand on his breastplate. I mean,the armour was all nice and shiny and clean, and Aragorn's hand is covered in blood and gunk and stuff and it just makes SUCH A MESS. I think it even gets in Haldir's hair, and for some reason it really irritates me.

Oh and Frodo having saliva problems after being stung by a huge spider is pretty digusting. And why, when Arwen rides him to the Ford does his face start turning green?
fosca44
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2004 07:06
Alright, annoying things in LotR - this might be a bit random, but this is all from the top of my head... Keep in mind I read the books after I had seen the movies, so here goes:

All the times Frodo hears the ring's siren call and his mouth drops and he rolls his eyes. (The first encounter with the ringwraith in the forest, before the fellbeast, etc.) My sister exclaimed "Oh, not again!" each time he did that.

Oh, the whole Galadriel-lighting up as a green Christmas ornament and doing her Zeus impression.

Each and every time Legolas runs to the camera to deliver one of his "duh!" lines - yes, he is the blonde attractive hero, we get it!

I'd have to say, most of the things Arwen does. She's just annoying and "oh, so pretty"...

In TT EE, where Merry exclaims "Barum!" and they start laughing hysterically. Eh, I know it's a device to bring some relief into the end of the movie and I normally adore Merry-Pippin scenes, but it's really, really cringeworthy.

Just the way RotK starts. Do you usually stare grinning at an earthworm for an uncomfortable amount of time? I really didn't like that.

Sam rushing in as an action hero and saying "Get off him, you filth" to Shelob. Yes, he says so in the book too, but I imagined him a bit more desperate and probably shouting, not delivering it in the "Hasta la vista, baby" fashion.

Gollum's hand slowly sinking down into the lava - very Terminator, if you remember. And just something about the way he looks like falling - wouldn't you notise if you were falling into burning hot lava?

Those things being said, I have to admit I think Frodo's dancing is charming, and the whole close up of fish-eating didn't bother me much - and Denethor might eat anyway he like to make parallels, though I thought it was a bit uncharacteristic...
EruanwenSaeriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2004 05:53
I agree with Rivka - the skateboarding thing - I cringed - number one cringe in my books. I didn't mind the other two - the cave troll routine and the Mumukil one - kinda cool - but the skateboard thing - too modern.

Notable mention:

Frodo falling down all the time instead of defending himself (the others did - why didn't he? - was he weak from the influence of the ring?)

Denethor's eating - gross and unecessary - there must have been a better way to show his indifference (actually Denethor's portrayal was one I didn't really like - he was a great and noble king in the book - even though he was fey in the end)

When Gimli talks about having his axe in the orc's head and talking about his nervous system - I think that might have only been in the Extended DVD - how could a dwarf know about a nervous system? They were careful for the most part about lines like that - except maybe the deliberate inclusion of "Meat's back on the menu boys" line.

The stew scene in TTT Extended DVD. Grossed me out watching beautiful Aragorn trying to get that first mouthful down.

There were a few others, but these stand out for me.
Legolisa_
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2004 06:55
Yick, RotK had to be the "cringe-iest" movie for me! Sooooooooooo many things were tacky and corny and useless.

1) FotR: Legolas climbing up the Cave Trolls chain to his shoulders.

2) FotR: "Lean forward!" Aragorn and Frodo's leaning forward to make the staircase go forward??? I don't think so!

3) FotR: The entire staircase scene.

4) TTT: Actually, I can't think of anything that tacky in that movie. I didn't like HOW the dude ran up with the torch, but for me it wasn't that tacky. Neither was the elf-on-a-skateboard thing.

5) TTT: Oh wait! I know! The telepathy conversation between Galadriel and Elrond. That was just bad.

6) RotK: Oooooh no! There are soooo many things wrong. I hate the entire beginning scene: the fish pulling the Hobbit under water, the fake strangling, the sissy fighting, the HORRIBLE transition between Smeagol and Gollum (!!!), the raw fish. Everything about the beginning scene was just wrong!

7) RotK: I hated all of Legolas' little jumping around and doing crazy moves. I hate all of his lines, and the way he relates to Gimli in this movie. I don't like the recurrence of "keeping tally". The joke got old, come on!

RotK: Potato orc. That's all that I have to say.

9) RotK: Frodo sending Sam away. That's just so wrong!

10) RotK: Gollum being so happy and joking during the whole movie.

11) RotK: The "invisible Frodo" fight with Gollum.

12) RotK: Aragorn's acting all political when he gets crowned.

13) RotK: Gimli's holding the crown on a little pillow.

14) RotK: Arwen and Aragorn throwing themselves at each other and smashing their faces together in a stomach-wrenching kiss. X-(

15) RotK: Everybody bowing to the Hobbits.

16) RotK: Bilbo's makeup! He just freaked me out the whole time!

17) RotK: Last, but worst: Worse than Legolas' crazy moves; worse than Gimli's tacky lines; worse than Frodo's jiggling belly; worse than Gandalf killing people by thwacking them with his staff; worse than Potato orc's face;...................................................................The eye spot-light. I was so angry over that I started ranting in the theater! I can't believe that PJ could do that!

But still; despite everything that I hate; it's still a great movie.
Nefertirievy
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2004 08:55
Id have to say, that Gollum was a part of all my cringes. I mean dont get me wrong, he's awesome and he's so mad its hysterical, but he was just a scary little dude. I got so mad at him everytime he'd try to take that dang ring!!!

Other than Gollum, I dont really dislike anything else...ooh wait, I'm wrong. Those flying black things, (forget their names) the dudes w/ the black hoods and not face that fly on the black dragon things, man they give me the creeps!!! I mean I watch the movie, and I see them and I just shiver!!!
Farawyn15
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2004 11:22
Hmm...that's difficult. Can I say everything with Legolas? LOL The oliphaunt thing got on my nerves. So did the "It'a a diversion" line but, actually, that makes me laugh because it's so stupid. Now that I think about it, I'd have to say the bed scene towards the end of ROTK. That just got on my nerves. The slow-mo laughing was just...AGH!
mata
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2004 01:28
well, maybe these Leggy-stating-the-obvious things... "Orcs!" really? well, I'm not really cringing, in ROTK I started to laugh everytime...the poor boy...

and Eowyn's singing in TTT... well, it's getting better with everytime I see/hear it but the first time I cringed...
cbhalstead
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2004 04:16
I would have to say Haldir's death. I cry everytime. :cry:
square
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2004 11:56
Denethor eating in ROTK. That was awfull.

Also the head Goblin/Orc(?) guy from ROTK.
Eldavagor_Meldawen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2004 08:06
sorry, I'm just a sucker for accuracy, so here goes:
The chicken dance?? COME ON! He's a hobbit! Thats how they are!
Frodo foaming at the mouth after shelob stung him. That's a natural reaction to many many poisons, especially snake, spider etc. etc.
When Arwen and Frodo are riding from the ringwraiths, his face doesn't turn green, but he's turning into a wraith and he gets this sort of icky stuff running from his eyes. It's not his skin turning green.
Haldir didn't die from a blow to the head, it hit his back.
And the cavetroll hitting Frodo in the mines with the spear, he did get hurt, Ithil 623: "There was a dark and blackened bruise on Frodo's right side and breast. Under the mail there was a shirt of soft leather, but at one point the rings had been driven through it into the flesh. Frodo's left side also was scored and bruised where he had been hurled against the wall..." And that wasn't even a cavetroll, it was an orc-chieftain! Imagine what something with the size and strength of a cavetroll would do to him! Like a hammar and an anvil!

I, personally didn't cringe very much in any of the movies, just sometimes. I think they're all already mentioned.

[Edited on 22/4/2004 by Eldavagor_Meldawen]
haldir_of_lorien
King of the Dead
Send Message
on: April 22, 2004 08:13
Ugh, I have three that just made me want to throttle the screenwriters. lol
1) At Helms Deep when Legolas rides the shield down the stairs.
2)When Legolas sigle-handedly defeats an Oliphaunt
3) Searchlight Sauron
lotr_fanatic
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2004 10:50
i think what i really hated was the fireball denethorr. in the book i always like him because he wasn't a raving lunatic, he was just a noble ruler who couldn't bear to see his people dead. because of this depression he just lost hope, thus commiting suicide. he was to be pitied, not to be laughed at as he runs off a mountain. i mean he should have some dignity in his death. (sorry if this seems very wierd)
Merry_Pippin_8
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2005 08:34
I loved those movies! But the scene where they're "jumping on the bed" in ROTK was funny.
bwcogburn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2005 05:53
All Legolas stunts.Period.
GrimaWormtongue
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2005 08:05
All Legolas stunts.Period.

I absolutely agree.
But I DESPISE the shield-surfing part at Helm's Deep. What's with the Indiana Jones-esque music?!? :rolleyes:

And I also cringe during the lovey-dovey scenes between Arwen and Aragorn *puke*

Another one is when Aragorn bursts through the doors after 'coming back from the dead', trying to be very macho O_o (doesn't work, me-laddo)
Ingold
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2005 11:19
One thing that was a tad disappointing in the Prologue to FOTR is when Sauron approaches. We never see what becomes of Gil-galad and did anyone else think Elendil was swiped away just a little too easily? In the book I think it was more difficult for Sauron to overthrow the two.

Oh and don't get me started on Legolas the Gloryhound Elf and his Magic Elven Glue Boots (TM). Guaranteed to stick to an oliphaunt any day of the week despite three Southrons lunging at you. You can read some of my comments on the oliphaunt stunt when I was "Gamling".

Um...How did Grishnákh the Orc manage to survive a Rohirric spear thrust and chase Merry and Pippin into Fangorn?
GrimaWormtongue
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2005 12:35
Um...How did Grishnákh the Orc manage to survive a Rohirric spear thrust and chase Merry and Pippin into Fangorn?

Oh my God! You're so right!!! I'd never even noticed that before, heheh!
hobbitnamedeliza
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2005 06:00
Well, Orcs are TOUGH!!!! Did you notice Sharku has had his skull bolted together?
Morna_Child_of_Eru
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2005 10:53
I agree that the torchbearer thing was a bit too obvious. Also didn't like the super-sexy light on naked Frodo (hey it distracted me Ok?!), but my only real cringe was in ROTK when you see Gollum eating the fish. Yuck!
Arwen_Firanor_Estilamir
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2005 07:47
not sure if i've posted in this thread before, so delete if necessary.

cringeworthy moments:

FOTR:
Frodo at Bilbo's party. he needs dancing lessons.
XENARWEN. give us Glorfindel, please!
Galadriel's sudden transformation into the Borg Queen RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!

TTT:
Theodred's Funeral: Eowyn needs singing lessons.
Legolas' horrendous horse mounting stunt during the Warg battle
Arwen's terrible purple dress.
Eowyn's equally terrible blue and brown dress. (what were the costume designers thinking in this movie?)
Elves at Helm's Deep. uurghh! (could have been worse, they could have sent Arwen there as well)
The olympic torch - bearing Orc
Evil Faramir and Frodo in Osgiliath. now its not only Tom Bombadil, Glorfindel, Arwen, Galadriel and Boromir they have slaughtered
Gollum's rabbit and fish catching. gross!

ROTK:
yet again, Gollum's fish eating.
Arwen's fate being tied to the Ring. what on Middle Earth???
Legolas's Oliphaunt piggy - backing.
Denethor's eating habits. disgusting. he needs to learn some table manners.

~ Arwen
HerenyeofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2005 11:57
Legolas going pro-skateboarding at Helm's Deep. :rolleyes:
Denethor the ball of flame
Arwen's lavender dress
GrimaWormtongue
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2005 02:40
Theodred's Funeral: Eowyn needs singing lessons

It's quite difficult to cry and sing at the same time O_o

Denethor's eating habits. disgusting. he needs to learn some table manners

haha! I can NEVER look during those parts - all I can hear is Pippin singing while I hide behind a cushion just so I don't see Denethor eating *puke*
Gildor-Inglorion
Elvellon ar Pethdan
Send Message
on: March 11, 2005 03:25
Theodred's Funeral: Eowyn needs singing lessons

And AngloSaxon is a rather harsh language
ABagginsOfTheShire
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 11, 2005 04:50
The bit in RotK when Frodo wakes up and everybody is laughing and crying and jumping on he bed. I just don't like it.
silver_Tinuviel
Finrod's Harp
Send Message
on: May 13, 2005 09:56
Ohhhhhh!

I think the scene with the Mouth of Sauron is one of the most stupid in all the three movies!!! First, that guy has normal sight in the books (you remember that he meets the eyes of Aragorn and he is very frightened...). "But ok", I said, "if they wanted to make him like that...". And then what happens? Aragorn kills the ambassador!!!!!! No way! "What's that? This is Sauron's style", I cried! My goodness!!!!!! I watched that scene again and again, hoping for some change! But it was the same every time...

And there were also some moments that had nothing to do with Tolkien's story! Most of all I hate that strange stupid moment when Frodo and Sam are separated. I really wondered what movie I was watching!

Some questions for the screen writers:
Why is poor Gandalf so stupid sometimes and why doesn't he know the answer to the riddle on Moria Gate? Why are Aragorn and Frodo cleverer than him, though he is the wisest of all Maiar? Why does he cough when he smoke - is he an old dotard? Why does Frodo run faster than a Mordor horse and why must he hang down in the Crack of Doom? Why Boromir has no gift from Lady Galadriel? Why must Elrond cry like an old lady in the end of RotK? Why is Arwen so human? Why is Denethor so mad in the movies if he is so great in the books?

PS: And, for God's sake, is there someone who can tell me where are the horses in the battle at the Black Gate (for the captains of the West are now on horses and then they run with their own legs...)? I waited for the extended edition to see where they disappeared, but... it seemed that they just vanished in the thin air... Clever horses to leave a hopeless battle!

I am very disappointed of all these! But I still love the movies!

Image Reeling and foundering, as ever more strong/ The chanting swelled, Felagund fought,/ And all the magic and might he brought/ Of Elvenesse into his words./ Softly in the gloom they heard the birds/ Singing afar in Nargothrond,/ The sighing of the Sea beyond,/ Beyond the western world, on sand,/ On sand of pearls in Elvenland.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email