Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post How did LotR affect you spiritually?
on: January 12, 2004 08:14
I am a Christian . There was a lot of things that excited me Spiritually form the "Lord of the Rings" movies and books. Is there anyone else out there that's had a strong Spiritual excitement from watching the movies or reading the books?
OK, some of you are probably wondering what I'm getting at. What I'm asking is when you watch/read certain parts does your spirit become Excited?
I would like to say even though I'm a Christian, and with my Christian faith with Christ is the way I post and express my fillings. I really would like to hear from others and tell how LOTR affected you Spiritually, even if your not a Christian. I would like this thread to be for everyone from CoE .

Here's some of mine:

FotR: Coming forword to help the Ringbarrier destroy the ring. They gave their all, just like the Disciples gave their all for Jesus. Am I saying Frodo is Jesus? No.. I'm just saying that that scene reminds me of that. It excited me spirituly .

TTT: The friendship and love that is there even after the Fellowship was separated. For example, Frodo and Sam...Merry and Pippin...Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli. They may have been separated into their little groups, but they never lost their Faith. This reminds me of Jesus saying to Love one another and keep the Faith .

RotK: When Frodo steped on the Ship heading for the Gray Haven. He turns, looks at his dear friends, slowly smiles. I can see the strain and pain leave his body. As his smile widens I can see the peace in his face. This scene will always be set in my mind. That is what I have, Peace in my spirit. I know I'm going to heaven, because I have Jesus in my heart.

There are many others I could mention, but I really would like to hear from you . Would you share your spiritual excitments ?

[Edited on 19/6/2004 by hobbitmom]
Macilie~Undomiel
Númenor Obsessed
Send Message
Post RE: How did LotR affect you spiritually?
on: January 13, 2004 12:26
Moved from the Green Dragon

[Edited on 14/1/2004 by Macilie~Undomiel]
Charis
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2004 05:05
J.R.R. Tolkien was a Christian. I don't know this for sure, but I really feel he wrote the LotR not only for the adventure of it all, but the Spiritual excitement as well.

You're right, Hobbitmom. I was reading a book about the Inklings (the group of guys who wrote and gave counsel to each other on their writings from 1930-1960 in England, including Tolkien and C.S. Lewis) and in it it takes about a lecture Tolkien gave in which he said that creativity is a reflection of God. He calls it refracted light. Basically what he said was that Christians who create are spreading tiny bits of light of God. He even wrote a poem about it to Lewis.

Let's see... For me there are so manu places I was affected spiritually, but the biggest is when I saw FOTR for the first time. At the end when Frodo is standing by the river and holding the Ring in his hand, you can just sense his distress. The Ring has caused him so much pain and anguish. And then he hears Gandalf say "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." And Frodo grasps the Ring and takes off. Wow! Isn't that the truth? As it says in James, "We are flowers that whither and blow away." We only have one life on this earth and even when we face hard times we have to make decisions with what we are up against. I was so encouraged to make the right decisions and to live a life so that God can say, "Well done my good and faithful servant."

In TTT, it has to be Sam's speech. The part about how the Shadow is only a passing thing and day must come and it will shien out the clearer. Yes! How true! This world looks devastating sometimes with all the crime and hate and Shadow. I cannot wait for the day that Christ comes and He shines brighter than we can imagine against the darkness. And as for Sam talking about the stories where people kept going because they were holding onto something, all I can say is Hebrews 11! My fav verse is from there and it says, "All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised them, they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance." We are holding on for a better country.
pippinsscarf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 12:56
i agree with both of ya! I was looking thru some lotr sites one night and i found this wonderfull site called Jesus in LoTR. Here is the Link it is a good site I reccomend reading! http://daisyshobbithole.homestead.com/story.html

hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 18, 2004 01:29
Pippinsscarf, I went to the web site you recommend to check out and it was Wonderful . Thanks for giving the link.
Is there anyone else out there that would like to share their Spiritual excitment from watching or reading LotR? Come on... share your Spiritual excitment with me . I would love to hear from you :heart:.

Heres another one from me;
RotK: Sam stuck through it all, with Frodo, to the end.
Jesus said, "I will be with you always untill the end of time."
Matthew 28:20b
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2004 06:13
Some parts remind me of "spiritual" things. I don't really consider myself to be "religious" though.
The part where Gandalf tells Frodo, "All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that has been given to you", is also one of my favorite quotes from the movie. That one really stands out in my mind.
The scene where King Theodin (I probably didn't spell that right.) is getting suited up in his armor is another. "Your men, my lord, will follow you to whatever end".
I also loved the scene where Gandalf rides down to Helm's Deep with the sun light and the riders of Rohan behind him. While watching that scene, and feeling the music, I was thinking about learning the truth about ourselves, whether it's good or bad. What was once hidden is brought into the light. And, the breaking of the dam as well. Once we realize the truth about ourselves, what has been holding us back is released and our spirit is given freedom.
There are many other scenes that made me feel excited spiritually. The "Lord of the Rings" has touched me deeply! Tears of joy and sorrow at the same time. :cry: I am glad to share my thoughts and feelings with you. If I keep it to myself, I might explode! It's just too moving to hold it inside.

[Edited on 1/19/2004 by woodelf71]

[Edited on 1/23/2004 by woodelf71]
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 18, 2004 08:16
You have made many wonderful points in your post, woodelf71 . Thank you for sharing. I was very touched . I'm glad you felt comfortable to share about this even though you say you don't consider yourself to be, religious. Please fill free to PM me if you want to talk more about your Fillings .
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 09:40
I was watching FOTR again today, and I thought of the different gifts of the Spirit that we are given. Legolas is using his gift of speed and grace to avoid the chain that the troll is swinging and his keen eyes to hit his target everytime. Gandalf uses the light of his staff to guide them and to defeat the balrog. Aragorn is using his skill with the sword, and Sam is using the frying pan. LOL! I thought that was kinda funny, since hobbits are known for their love of food. It's funny how God makes use out of the simplest things. :heart:

[Edited on 1/21/2004 by woodelf71]

Charis
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 06:35
What awesome insight woodelf! I hadn't thought of that, but you are so right! God does use the things we are good at for His glory. It reminds me of when people have come to me and said that they couldn't be used of God because they weren't a pastor or something like that. That's such a wrong thought and somehow I think many Christians get the idea that they are doing something less if they aren't some spiritual leader. The truth is God uses every child He has. He didn't make everyone pastors (and thank goodness for that!) We need doctors and teachers and mailmen and even garbage collectors. Isn't it silly that certain jobs get looked down on? We need all jobs to live in this world and I am thankful for the varying gifts we have. Thanks for reminding me of this, woodelf!
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 10:35
Yes, the different gifts each person has is very special, given to us by God. I agree with Charis, Woodelf, your insight is awesome . There is one other Spiritual affect that came accross when I went and seen RotK again. When the Eagles came for Frodo and Sam. I did a Bible study on Angles, by David Jeremiah. He's a wonderful Bible study Teacher . Anyway, there was a part about when you die an Angle take you to heaven. He will be your gide. Watching the Eagles gently takeing Frodo and Sam to safty remined me of when my time comes an Angle will come and gently take me to heaven . That's an awesome thought, don't you think ?
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2004 02:45
Yes, it definitely is! WOW! I bet that made your heart "soar"! :heart: I think I have more in common with Christians than I had originally thought. I still have Him in my heart. :heart:

hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 22, 2004 06:18
Prays the Lord . I am so happy to hear that this Post has given you that insite. This is the way I think: If Christ isn't [/u]Lord of all, then He isn't [u]LORD at all.

Acknowledgment, Acceptance, Adjustment:
Day by day and with each passing moment.
Strength I find to meet my trials here. Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment. I've no cause for worry or for fear.
Author unknown
The worry and fear are still with me but knowing that my Lord is with me to help through it all makes it easer to except .
I believe Tolkien brings that out in his books. And I see it in the movies .

Jemima
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2004 06:38
Hello! I am a Christian too. I am glad to meet all of you. I have been very moved by LOTR ever since I first read it about 5 years ago. I first read it because it was named as one of the top 100 books of the millenium by World magazine (a Christian magazine) and they said Tolkien had helped lead CS Lewis to Christ. I was interested and so read the books and have gone on to read many more of Tolkien's work as well as books about Tolkien.
There are many parts of the story that are very spiritually moving to me. I'll come back and tell you about them as I think of them, but the whole story as a whole is what has affected me most. Just the willingness of these people (sorry it seems so real to me) to take on such a burden - especially the little Hobbits - when they could just as well have stayed home and hoped someone else would do it has led me to take a more active role as a Christian. The story has made me long for adventure too and is part of the reason I began taking youth on foriegn mission trips each summer.
I've started to say if Frodo can do it , I can do it. But what it has inspired most in me is a desire to be obedient to God's calling even if the task looks hard or scarey.
I'll try to write more later.
Jemima
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 22, 2004 09:01
Jemima, welcome to our little Spiritual grupe . I am so looking forword to reading about what your going to write. I read about Tolkien leading CS Lewis to Christ. It was a wonderful story . That is our job in this world, to lead others to Christ. Or should I say, at least plant the seed . Again, Welcome .
EldarQueen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 06:20
Hi, I'm a Christian. Fun to see a little group of LotR fans getting together to discuss things like this. Encouraging, to say the least.

I see lots of things that I think Tolkien may have stuck into his books to relate somewhat to Christianity/Catholicism, though I don't think that it was written to be an allegory.

There was just one that hit me the other day -- how, in FotR, Saruman is reading the book just before the Fellowship decides to go through Moria. He reads it to Gandalf in his mind, reminding him of the "shadow and flame" within the mines. Those things read from the book were to be a warning, and not a declaration of doom for anyone who enters. It sorta reminded me of how the devil uses warnings in the Bible to make fear grow in our hearts and not to follow the truth of God but walk right into his trap. It's an encouragement to me to listen to the warnings of the Bible but not take them like they will be the death of me.

Once again, nice to talk to y'all!

[Edited on 11/2/2004 by EldarQueen]
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 24, 2004 06:36
Welcome to our group, EldarQueen . What you said is so true. Our strength to fight over evil comes from the Bible and the help from other Christians as well :love:.
I went and seen the RotK again and it struck me that the Ring being such a small thing and so powerful, when anyone even looks at it they are drawn to it. It's scary to think something so small, and most of the time plane, can end up being so evil. As Boromir said "Such a little thing.", as he held it by the chain and was drawn to it. scary .
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2004 01:13
There is a scene in TTT that reminded me of Christ and the Church (His Bride). After Aragorn falls off the edge of the cliff, Arwen wakes him with a kiss. Even though the roles are reversed, and we know that, in the movie, Arwen can't save the world, her love for Aragorn did remind me of God's love for us. She gave up her immortal life to be with him. The beautiful music and that Aragorn took a breath after she kissed him, made me think about the day when Christ will return for His Bride. To be "Awakened" with a "Kiss". :heart:
Anaranë_Aldarion
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2004 09:31
Hey guys!!! Omigosh yes I am so happy also to see this discussion on here. I constantly thought about the Christian life when I watched ROTK in theatre. This made me think of dedicating your life wholly to Christ:

"How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand, there is no going back?"

And you know for sure that alot of stuff in LOTR definately has some Christian meaning behind it, for example in TTT when Gandalf fell to the depths of Moria and battled with a demon for three days and three nights, and then was resurrected. Can't deny the Christian influence there!

=D =D!!!!!!!
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 26, 2004 08:23
Anarane_Aldarion, Welcome to our group . I hope you will write more of your feelings for us. It is wonderful to hear other Christian insites on how their Spirit sours watching or reading "LORD OF THE RINGS." I get all goose bumpy all over my body when I read all the different post. Please pass this on to your Christian friends that are members of CoE so it will stay on front page . I believe the Lord is working and even strengenthing the others that read the different Post. I'm so happy about that . God works in mysterious ways . Even on the web :love:.

[Edited on 27/1/2004 by hobbitmom]
Jemima
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2004 09:02
Hi, I'm back.
I see the ring as sin - maybe not all sin - but the sin of the lust for power. Sam and Frodo weren't affected as much by it because they didn't desire power - at first. But even they were tempted by the ring and Frodo finally succombed to its draw in the end. I think it's important that Frodo couldn't destroy the ring in the end. He didn't have the power by himself to destroy it. What did help destroy it though was the mercy he and others had showed Gollum. Too bad Gollum didn't accept the mercy shown to him and chose instead to continue to lust after the ring, and ultimately it destroyed him.Just think what an awesome team Gollum, Frodo and Sam would have made if Gollum had accepted their mercy and asked for forgiveness. But the ring (sin) had corrupted him so much that everything he did and saw and heard was distorted by sin. The same thing was starting to happen to Frodo - he had spent so much time with the ring and he was getting so close to its creator that his judgement was being distorted. He knew the ring had to be destroyed but he couldn't do it by himself. We can't destroy sin in our lives by ourselves either. We have to let God do it and accept his mercy and ask forgiveness. Then sin is defeated in our lives (as much as we let it be) and it has no more real hold on us - you can see Frodo's relief when it is finally gone, but there also seems to be some sadness too. Of course there are consequences and you can see Frodo did not escape unscathed.
I am not suggesting Frodo should not have carried the ring. He was being obedient to what he was asked to do and he truly wanted to destroy it. It was its creator, Sauron, and the two people who tried to keep it for themselves (Isildur and gollum) that made huge negative affects on all of Middle Earth - even on the people who remained true and faithful - like Sam, Frodo, Aragorn, Gandalf, Faramir, etc.
The sin you hold onto and cherish and call your precious can negatively affect lots of people around you as well as yourself if you don't seek God's mercy and forgiveness.
I just think the power the ring holds over people is interesting.
Jellyfishbrains
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 10:46
Movie diden't do anything for me because, I think if you look for stupid little things like comparing the ring to a sin is stupid. Why ruin a movie by making it involve religion
AlatarielofRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 10:51
I love this thread! I agree with what you guys have been saying. I too am a Christian and I believe that Tolkien's work is the product of his Christianity. So many Christian themes are explored. And there are sooooo many times during the movies that make my spirit soar.
-When Boromir comes to fight for the Hobbits it always reminds me of Jesus laying down His life to save us.
-The whole idea that this world and everything in it is in the hands of the Lord. Like in Gandalf's speach in Moria. "YOu were menat to have it"
-The whole theme of self-sacrifice. I love when Frodo says "Yes, we did save the Shire, but not for me." Sometimes we give up so much and don't really get to enjoy the benefits. It reminds me of Jesus. He could have stayed up in heaven, but becasue He loved us He gave up everything, not for Himself, but for us. Now thats amazing love

These are just a few. I don't have time for any more right now, but I'll be back!
By the way, have you read the book "Finding God in Lord of the Rings"? Its a great book. If you haven't read it you should check it out.
AlatarielofRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 10:56
I was watching FOTR again today, and I thought of the different gifts of the Spirit that we are given. Legolas is using his gift of speed and grace to avoid the chain that the troll is swinging and his keen eyes to hit his target everytime. Gandalf uses the light of his staff to guide them and to defeat the balrog. Aragorn is using his skill with the sword, and Sam is using the frying pan. LOL! I thought that was kinda funny, since hobbits are known for their love of food. It's funny how God makes use out of the simplest things. :heart:

That is soooo cool!
AlatarielofRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 11:03
Ok, I know I said I was leavin, but I thought of something more I wanted to say. They talk about this in "Finding God In LOTR"
It was a Hobbit that was chosen to bear the Ring of power and Hobbits played a huge role in the War of the Ring. But in Middle Earth the Hobbits were like "children". They were simple creatures who minded their own buisness. The weren't "counted among the very wise". In the same way Jesus says we are to become like a little child.
Isn't that cool!

Oh, and another neat note (this one is from "Fantasy and Your Family", another good book).
The Fellowship sets out from Rivendell on Dec. 25th, the day Jesus came into the world and the Ring was destroyed on what is traditionally believed to be the first Good Friday. So the quest to destroy evil began the Christ came into this world and evil was destroyed on the day Christ destroyed sin's power over us. Isn't that cool!
Laiquenda
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 11:51
:blush: I am a pagan and have read through you views. The LOTR books and films lie very close to my spiritual belief. People helping one another to better the world. The Ents fighting against the destruction of the Earth by Saruman and the Elvish way of nurturing growth. It's good to see people of different spiritual and religious beliefs finding joy in a very special place. I wonder if Tolkien himself meant this to happen?
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 04:41
Personally, I haven't done a lot of research on Tolkien and his intensions for his books. The "Lord of the Rings" has touched me deeply though. I keep saying that over and over don't I? Just can't help it. I love the movies and the music. :heart:
Charis
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 08:31
Personally, I haven't done a lot of research on Tolkien and his intensions for his books.

As a writer, I know that writers all reflect themselves and their beliefs in what they produce with the pen. Tolkien was no exception. As a devout Christian, he wrote LOTR with a Christian worldview in mind. Tolkien himself was adamant that he did not write a spiritual allegory, meaning he didn't structure his work to echo what the Bible had already written. However, when you look at how he made his world, his own spiritual convictions are obvious. A lot have already been mentioned here, but another is that in Middle-earth there is one supreme "God" character, Eru. Eru made everything and the Valar only made what they did through him. He is also the only one who could make things come alive. And he is the only one who has a temple built to worship him (by the Numenoreans). (For fanatcis, I am not counting Sauron's temple that was a corruption).

One I thought of the other day was this quote: "Then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise." That's when Frodo sails from the Grey Havens. They used that quote in the movie when Gandalf talks to Pippin about death. What is interesting is that by doing that, the writers themselves interpreted what Tolkien meant. I saw a documentary where they siad they wanted to keep Tolkien's spirituality in view when making the movie, so that is why they made that scene. Death is but an oepning up to the true life that lies beyond.

By the way Jemima, I loved your thoughts on the ring and sin! Good insight!

[Edited on 28/1/2004 by Charis]
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 11:47
That part about the Ring and sin, and how it effects others, I had never thought of that. I thought of the Ring being like an addiction because the Ring overtook them, but really didn't see that part of it as well. Interesting. Anyway, I have just started reading "Lord of the Rings", so there is alot I don't know. I still love the movies and music though.
Jemima
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 05:09
Hi woodelf71,
I'm glad the movies have inspired you to read the books. The movies are great and lots of fun (I've seen them all quite a few times) but they are nothing compared to the books in my opinion. Have fun!
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 06:56
I agree with you there, Jemima, the books have more insite and I think gives more spiritual insite as well . As you read the books your imagination really sore . I, myself enjoy both the Books and movies . I think when you read the books, woodelf71, that you will notice your thoughts will bring out more spiritual insites too .

Here's another Spiritaul excitments.
In "Fellowship of the Ring", Comming out of Moria the Fellowship felt lost because of Gandalf's death to save the others. Frodo wondered off in a daze as if all was lost . At that time he thought that. I remember different times I felt lost and God diserted me, even though I know He didn't. Even the strongs of Christians go through dought :blush:.
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 11:18
I believe that I will see more spiritual insights. And, I see their lack of faith in myself as well. We all have doubts, but we have to keep going. That's one of the biggest things that has inspired me to read the book and to watch the movies over and over and over and over. LOL! I want to do more than just read and watch movies though. :heart:
Anaranë_Aldarion
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 02:44
It was a Hobbit that was chosen to bear the Ring of power and Hobbits played a huge role in the War of the Ring. But in Middle Earth the Hobbits were like "children". They were simple creatures who minded their own buisness. The weren't "counted among the very wise". In the same way Jesus says we are to become like a little child.
Isn't that cool!

Wow AlatarielofRivendell, I'd never even thought about that! That is cool. And sweet.
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2004 08:56
"In the same way Jesus says we are to become like a little child." That is cool.
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 05, 2004 02:37
I would like to share some little quotes in my Devotional Magazine. 1) "Sound character does not grow out of unsound teaching." (by A.W. Tozer.) 2) "There's One who can comfort when all else fails, Jesus, blessed Jesus. (by Charles Gabriel). 3) Through our Faith God's grace provides. (by, Me).
The first one reminds me, in book or movie, by Gandalf learning about the Ring of evil had a sound mind to tell Frodo what to do . The Bible tells me, by using my sound mind, what to do .
The second: How Sam comforts Frodo through the story over and over again. This reminds me on how many times God comfort me .
The third: Without Aragorn's Faith that Frodo being alive and going to destroy the Ring, Sauron may have taken control over Frodo and the Ring. My Faith with my Lord helps me to know that evil can't take control over me, because He wont let it happen. Jesus Loves Me :love:.
Charis
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2004 03:12
I work with the youth group at my church and last night the worship leader there asked what to glorify God meant. He then went on to ask people who had seen RotK how they felt at the scene where Aragorn and then EVERYONE bowed to the Hobbits at his coronation. He said that is what it meant to glorify God: to give Him the honor he deserves. He then said that just as the Hobbits (esp. Frodo and Sam) did something no one else could, Jesus did what no one else could: died for sins. That is why He is honored and glorified. Only that little bit of honor that we saw on the screen, that gave us goosebumps and made us overjoyed, will be a thousand times a thousand times greater when Christ is worshipped at the end of time. WOW! Just imagine everyone bowing to Jesus! I was amazed and the image really touched me!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email