Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: How did LotR affect you spiritually?
on: March 18, 2004 08:15
I findly went and seen " The Passion Of The Christ". It moved my soul. I have a very strong relationship with Christ already, but after seeing the movie my relationship is going to be even stronger. I became to hate those Priests and the Roman soldiers in the movie. I don't hate, because, Jesus said for me to Love even my enemy. But watching the Priest call Jesus a lier and the Roman soldiers beat him made my hate fester. I cryed so hard seeing Mary go through so much agony as she watches her son being tortured and not being able to do anything about it. It was heart breaking. I think the people that see this movie of Jesus going through so much agony will see as close to the real thing other then being there personly. I know it made me think I was right there and I felt every thrash of the wip on his body. I wanted to take the pain away from him. The good news is He's alive and waiting for me to be with him in Paradice.
I LOVE JESUS, YES I DO. I LOVE JESUS, HOW ABOUT YOU?

[Edited on 19/3/2004 by hobbitmom]
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: March 19, 2004 05:23
I'm glad that you enjoyed the film, but would ask that you stay on topic with this thread. There is a thread in the Palantir about "The Passion of Christ". We should try to talk about how LoTR affected various people spiritually. This is trending way off that to a discussion of Christianity instead. Thanks!
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2004 11:14
I was reading again last night, while watching "The Two Towers". I've seen it so many times, I read and listen to what is happening in the movie at the same time. It was weird timing though. As I was reading this, I heard one of his men say to King Theoden, "Your men, my lord, will follow you to what ever end." This is what I read.

"Use all of your worldly connections, but not out of panic and not out of fear. Do what you need to do on your end. Your choice comes in knowing appropriate timing, clear motivation, and trust. Allow your intuition to guide your timing. Take it inside, ask how you feel, and then move forward. Allow yourself to experience what it is to learn step by step the freedom that comes from being unattached to the outcome, but operating from an empowered heart."

I have come to a place where I feel that I have no "external power". I don't want to go into all the details, but this has really helped me alot.

"The awakening to the potential of the soul has come to require the loss of a mate, or the death of a child, or the collapse of a business, or some situation that renders the individual powerless." This may not be true for everyone, but I can definitely identify with this.

God is in control. Trust in God.

"Trust allows you to call forth your negativities in order to heal them. It allows you to follow your feelings through your defenses to their sources, and to bring to the Light those aspects of yourself that resist wholeness, that live in fear. Become conscious of all that you feel. The Unearthing and healing of your negativities may appear to be an endless process, but it is not. Your vulnerabilities and weaknesses and fears are not different from those of your fellow humans. Do not despair because your humanness awakens."

"Humbleness, forgiveness, clarity and love, all the gifts of the Spirit, take root and bloom, and you draw to yourself God's greatest gift: human beings with open hearts."

It is exciting to come of age spiritually isn't it? :heart:

hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 19, 2004 01:03
You are so right, BelleBayare, about staying on topic for this Thread. I did get carryed away about my feelings for 'The Passion. Others posted and asked if anyone seen it. I did not know there was another place for posting about your Feelings about seening The Passion. And since I was the one that started this Thread I thought it was all right to write my thought. But I was wrong and will state to everyone the post on thiis thread go to Palantir and post their feelings about the movie.
There is something that struck my mind about seeing Jesus suffering and the agony He went through. The way I stated how I hated the Priest and Roman Soldiers for the way they treated Jesus. This also reminds me on the agony Frodo went through untill the Ring was destroyed. I also come to hate the Ring and the one who made it.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: March 19, 2004 01:20
just to make life easier for you all the thread is here but please please please just read through the mods note posted at the beginning before you post
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2004 07:46
"Gandalf's mention of the "Secret Fire" at the bridge of Khazad-dum is probably a reference to the Flame Imperishable."

"The Flame Imperishable is the spark of life and FREE WILL that Ilivatar created in his children."

"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, weilder of the flame of Anor."

I found a quote that reminded me of this Free Will. "Humility, forgiveness, clarity, and love are the dynamics of freedom."

"Humility is the joy of giving without reservation, of giving with purpose and joy all that you have to the effort that you and others are creating jointly.
When you forgive, you release critical judgment of yourself and others. You do not cling to negative experiences that resulted from decisions made while you were learning. If you are doing all that you can to the fullest of your ability as well as you can, there is nothing else asked of a soul. "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you."
Clarity results from choosing to learn through wisdom instead of through fear and doubt. Clarity allows you to experience your fellow humans with compassion instead of with judgment.
Love is not a passive state. It is an active force. It is the force of the soul. Love does more than bring peace where there is conflict. It brings harmony and an active interest in the well-being of others. It brings concern and care. It brings Light."

All of these things remind me of Gandalf. His standing on the bridge of Khazad-dum was more than defeating the balrog. He gave his life, so others would be saved. He brought "Light", love, forgiveness, clarity, and humility.

hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 24, 2004 10:06
All of these things remind me of Gandalf. His standing on the bridge of Khazad-dum was more than defeating the balrog. He gave his life, so others would be saved. He brought "Light", love, forgiveness, clarity, and humility.

All these things reminds me of Christ. Jesus gave his life to save us from sin. He also brought light, Love, Forgiveness, Clarity, Humility and Eternal Life, if you ask Him into your life.

My spirit looks to God alone.
My rock and refuge is His throne.
In all my fears, in all my straits,
My soul on His salvation waits.
BY: Isaac Watts
Jemima
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2004 07:07
Each cake of Lembas bread, the waybread of the elves, was enough food to sustain a traveller for one day's journey. When it wasn't mixed with other foods it held more virtue for the one eating it. It gave more strength when it was the only source of nourishment. Lembas reminds me a lot of the Holy Spirit. The more we rely solely on him for our sustenance, our needs, the more virtue He has for us - the better He supplies our every need. He alone can truly satisfy. He is our daily bread - sufficient to sustain us for this day.
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2004 10:13

All these things reminds me of Christ. Jesus gave his life to save us from sin. He also brought light, Love, Forgiveness, Clarity, Humility and Eternal Life, if you ask Him into your life.

My spirit looks to God alone.
My rock and refuge is His throne.
In all my fears, in all my straits,
My soul on His salvation waits.
BY: Isaac Watts

Yes, all these things reminds me of Christ as well. I have found many similarities in other religions, but my heart still belongs to Jesus.

"The power of the Magician is to transform reality by changing consciousness." Changing the way we look at any situation can completely transform it. We can turn any misfortune into a beautiful learning.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: March 26, 2004 10:59
Okay folks, again this has veered into a discussion of Christianity, not how LoTR affected one spiritually. Please, I beg of you, keep on topic. I know it's tempting to move away toward what is one's particular path, but this site encourages folks from all faiths and paths to post. Given the initial question asked, this may not always be the Christian one.

I don't want to be an ogre, but if this thread continues to become a sounding board for religious views rather than how Tolkien's works affected a person spiritually I will need to get rid of it. This has been the third time I have felt compelled to redirect the thread to its original intent.

While I and the other staff appreciate the fact that many have a great devotion to their spiritual path of Christianity, the Council of Elrond was developed and nurtured for discussion of Tolkien's work. The lovely sentiments voiced here could well go into a journal, but not into the public forum. Please feel free to take this discussion there. Thank you and blessings.
Jemima
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2004 08:18
Reading LOTR gave me a great desire for more adventure in my life and gave me the courage to try some things I was afraid of. I am no longer content to sit at home by the fire.
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 08:53
Sorry about that. I am sorry about all the book quotes as well. I think I went a bit off topic. I didn't intend to promote any certain book though. I just wanted to share a beautiful and comforting message that I found while reading and watching the movie. When I find something beautiful, I feel compelled to tell everybody. lol

I was reading a commentary on Tolkien's work and found something that I want to share.

"I had a mind to make a body of more or less connected legend, ranging from the large and cosmogonic to the level of romantic fairy-story (Carpenter, P. 89). Such a desire - to create one's own world - is at the heart of all my theologies; a desire, said Tolkien, divinely implanted, clear sign of the spark illuming us all."

Aren't we all creators, for good or for ill? That thought, being always in my mind and heart, makes me feel connected to everyone. But, Love is not a passive state is it? It is an active force and a conscious choice. Gandalf's words to Frodo, "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you" reminds me of this. :heart:
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 09:48
I'm the one that started this thread and I am asking everyone to please stay on topic . Thank you very much .

Seeing the eye of Sauron searching for Frodo reminds me of the eye of evil searching for someone that strayed from Christ. The Evil One lurking to pounce on strayers. But I know Christ will always be there for me like Sam was for Frodo.

[Edited on 2/4/2004 by hobbitmom]
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2004 07:54
Sorry about that, hobbitmom. I didn't start out with the intention of going off topic, but I "went astray" there for a minute.
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 03, 2004 11:27
For the Christianity spiritual path of this same topic, I have made a Journal for a more open post reply, just as BelleBayard adviced for me to do . Check it out. I would be very excited to here from a lot of you from here :love:.

[Edited on 3/4/2004 by hobbitmom]
Isafjordur
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2004 03:42

The Fellowship sets out from Rivendell on Dec. 25th, the day Jesus came into the world and the Ring was destroyed on what is traditionally believed to be the first Good Friday. So the quest to destroy evil began the Christ came into this world and evil was destroyed on the day Christ destroyed sin's power over us. Isn't that cool!

Yes, I head heard about this! It's lovely symbolism, and I am glad you shared it. I am a Byzantine Catholic. Mar. 25 is a holy day for us because it is the day that the Archangel Gabriel visited Mary, and Mary accepted her role as the mother of Christ. But, as you mention, this was also believed to be the first Good Friday, so in one symbolic day (Mar 25) we see the prediction and the fulfillment of God's plan. It is the perfect day for the destruction of Mordor, a feat brought about through compassion and willingness to sacrifice everything for a higher good.

I really like this thread! It is nice to see people from so many different beliefs (Christian, pagan, etc.) talking together and sharing their ideas in such a wonderful and comradely way. I think Tolkien would have approved.

I did want to also add that, in this Easter season, the Lord of the Rings is wonderful reading (and viewing). One of the pivotal points of the story is that people can gain eternal life only through sacrifice and compassion.

The Ring as an agent of sin and evil promises immortality and great power. People who seek this fall for the Ring's promise, and they are deceived. (For example, the Nazgûl, Saruman, Gollem). They may get their immortality but they are also prisoners to the evil of Sauron and their own "Ring addiction."

Those characters who truly find eternal life and salvation are those who resist the temptation of the Ring and, in a fantastic irony, are willing to die to save others, as Christ died to save us all. You see this theme occur with Aragorn, Samwise, Theoden, Faramir, Eowyn, Merry, Galadriel, Pippin, Gandalf, Boromir and Frodo. All of these great people put their own lives in great danger to save someone else and, in the process, find salvation and final peace.

Boromir is interesting because he falls to the Ring's temptation, but he sacrifices his life to save Merry and Pippin, so he dies in peace and honor. Frodo, perhaps the spiritually purest of all the Fellowship, suffers great agonies in bearing the RIng. He finally succumbs to it, since it was predicted no mortal being could resist its temptation. However, his compassion to Gollum and belief to go on with the quest in spite of his suffering proved to be the salvation of the quest. Through what Tolkien refers to as eucatrastrophe (the glimpse of the divine even in the darkest and most tragic of moments) Gollum becomes the agent to destory the RIng, proving that evil ultimately fails because it destroys itself. But it also proves that Frodo's compassion to keep Gollum alive when Sam wanted to kill him made it possible for the Ring to be destroyed. You can see the hand of the divine in this entire sequence in the story- the Lord moves in mysterious ways. And Frodo was still willing to sacrifice all he had for the quest, and so he also gains eternal life by being granted the opportunity to seek healing and peace in Valinor .

Jemima
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2004 01:30
The other day, I took my children skiing and my seven year old daughter fell down. She suddenly decided skiing was too hard and she was afraid to try it again. She wanted to take her skis off and go home. Since I had just paid quite a bit for her lessons, and her brothers weren't willing to quit, I tried to think of something that would inspire her to want to continue. I told her to remember what Eowyn did when she had a Nazgul sitting on a fell beast in front of her. I told her, what's in fron of you may look scary, but you can handle it. Think of the mountain as a fell beast and chop his head off and don't let that Nazgul scare you. He's just empty space under that cloak and his greatest weapon is fear. Well, maybe I didn't say quite all of that right there on the mountain - but it was something like that. She got this very determined look on her face, blinked her eyes a few times, and said "Mom , I'm ready to try it now." Off she skiied and, before long she was conquering a hard hill with her older brother.
I think the image of Eowyn conquering evil will help my daughter face hardship in her life from now on.

"Greater is He who is in me than he who is in the world."
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 06, 2004 03:54
That was a wonderful story, Jemima . Thank you for sharing it with us. You telling your Daughter the story if Eowyn facing her fell beast seemed to help .

I would like to welcome you, Isafjordur, to our gorup. I truly enjoyed what you posted . I do hope you will post more .

I was thinking of Frodo when he gave up his life living in the Shire. He said, "We saved the Shire Sam, but not for me." Sam, was so lost because he new he couldn't go with his beloved Frodo. Jesus has given up His life for us so some day we will be able to be with Him, as Sam will be with Frodo.
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2004 12:16
Hello Everyone,

I just love the ROTK. One of my favorite scenes is when Frodo wakes up and sees Gandalf. The look on his face is priceless. I put myself in his place, trying to imagine what he felt waking up and seeing Gandalf standing there after thinking that he was dead. I think it gave me a very small taste of what it will be like when we get to heaven and reunite with those who have past on. We all will be laughing at death!
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 11, 2004 08:19
Welcome, Evenstar1971 :love:. Thank you for posting here. I hope you will post more of how LOTR affects you spiritually .

I also love that seen when Frodo opens his eyes and see Gandalf. I so look foreword to when my time comes and I see Jesus face to face in heaven :love:. It will be a joyful day, don't you think?

I went back and started reading on the postings. There is some wonderful stories that truly inspired me. Thank you all .
Isafjordur, yours was outstanding, I want to thank you for taking the time and writing such wonderful information :love:. I hope you will write more .

[Edited on 12/6/2004 by hobbitmom]
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2004 07:32
LOTR, especially ROTK, reminds me that there is a purpose for everything. There is a reason why certain relationships have been necessary in your life and why you have had to take on specific duties that either surprised and delighted you or seemed burdensome and destructive. Everything has its role, regardless of how painful or joyful it may be. I think "Into the West" says that beautifully.

serenityofarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2004 09:30
I watched ROTK again last night. I was inspired by the scene where Frodo and Sam are in Mt. Doom. Frodo is hanging onto the ledge, and Sam is there lying on the ground with his hand extended to Frodo. When Sam says, "Give me your hand. Take my hand. Don't you let go! Don't let go! REACH!", I thought about Jesus' love for us. He bent low, when He came to earth and died for us. Now, He is just waiting for us to take His hand. He will forgive out sins and be with us every step of the way, but we must CHOOSE to take His hand. Choosing to take his hand, for me, not only means to believe in Him, but also not to beat myself up over past mistakes and worrying about the future. The fall of the eye and the fortress made me think of Jesus' victory over sin and death. His victory over sin and death is our victory.

serenityofarwen

[Edited on 10/9/2004 by serenityofarwen]
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 10, 2004 11:50
I am so excited this thread of mine is open again, thanks to you serenityofarwen .

I watched ROTK again last night. I was inspired by the scene where Frodo and Sam are in Mt. Doom. Frodo is hanging onto the ledge, and Sam is there lying on the ground with his hand extended to Frodo. When Sam says, "Give me your hand. Take my hand. Don't you let go! Don't let go! REACH!", I thought about Jesus' love for us. He bent low, when He came to earth and died for us. Now, He is just waiting for us to take His hand. He will forgive out sins and be with us every step of the way, but we must CHOOSE to take His hand. Choosing to take his hand, for me, not only means to believe in Him, but also not to beat myself up over past mistakes and worrying about the future. The fall of the eye and the fortress made me think of Jesus' victory over sin and death. His victory over sin and death is our victory.

My thoughts exactly, serenityofarwen, about Sam telling Frodo to reach for his hand. I had the same feeling inside .

I, being a Christian don't believe it the same way you do Findula, but I am opened minded to other thoughts . And, I fine yours very interesting . Thank you for writing them.

One of mine I was thinking of, after I watched ROTK, was how the evil :evil: of Gollum came out the closer they came to Mount doom. And how he affected Frodo into thinking Sam wanted to take the ring from him, and Frodo turning against Sam. Evil does lurk that way and turn you against your best of friends . Even try to turn you against God.

elflin999
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2004 04:39
I think it has effected my faith in that it reminded me that even in the darkness light is there all we have to do is take hold of it.
Woodlandelfgirl87
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2004 03:03
The way LotR affected my faith is the similarity of the Grey Havens and Heaven. The song "Into the West" just reminds me of the promises Christ has given us.

For example:

You have come to journey's end
This reminds me of the ending of our journey here on earth and how we will be at peace in heaven.

Safe in my arms
Once we are in heaven, we are safe in Christ's arms.

Don't say we have come now to the end.
White shores are calling.
You and I will meet again.

Death is not the end. God is calling you home. We will be with our loved ones once again.

I'm sure we can think of more. This is such a beautiful song in my opinion, and can be very spiritual.
Gam-gam
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2004 05:12
I don't ususally like reading books explaining about faith and stuff, but reading the LotR faith books is slowing helping me possibly inch into that genre. I guess it helps me to relate to different aspects of faith better.

Also, it enabled me to find sites like this with such a loverly group of people, lots of whom share my beliefs.
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 22, 2004 06:43
I would like to welcome all the Newbies that has posted here, :wave:.

Gam-gam, Many people have told me that LOTR books/movies has affected them spiritually as well. One big thing that struck them the most is strangers going out of their way to help the ring bearer succeed with his quest. That makes me think of all the terrible things that is happening now. Many people have just stepped in to help strangers , and don't expect anything in return :love:.

I do agree, Woodlandelfgirl87, "Into the West" is meaningful to me in the same way as you . The tears I shad every time I hear the words are mostly tears of happiness. Thank you for expressing how the song makes you fell.

I think it has effected my faith in that it reminded me that even in the darkness light is there all we have to do is take hold of it.

I couldn't have said it any better, elflin999 . Thank you for those words.

[Edited on 23/9/2004 by hobbitmom]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email