Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
Tari_Helyanwe
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Religions
on: June 28, 2005 10:04
I'm not sure what religion i am really. I suppose I have Christian values and morals (although really most people do...). I only go to church at Christmas, and i went once at Easter. I'm not forced to go by any means, I enjoy the atmosphere in church at christmas, and i enjoy the story about the birth of Jesus. (And the local church give me mince pies lol.)
But I'm not sure whether I truly believe in a God. I don't come from a very religious family (mum is agnostic, dad is very, very atheist), so i've never really been brought up believing in God/s and/or goddesses. So i've always been a bit confused about religion in itself....

I suppose I could say I was just a spiritual person.

I was wondering what Christians (and maybe other religions, i don't know....) mean when they say they've been "saved"? I have an inkling, but I'm not sure.

[Edited on 28/6/2005 by Tari_Helyanwe]
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2005 10:48
The idea in most religions is that either humans have screwed up (judeo-christian views) and are damned unless they receive the grace of god to save them from their sins....or that people are imperfect, and are on a quest for perfection (Buddhism, Hinduism)

Wicca does not say either of these things, there is no need to be saved or perfected. Sin does not exist. People do bad things, good things, indifferent things, its human nature, and they must take responsibility for their actions. There is no eternal damnation or eternal salvation, but life is on a continuous cycle where we are born, grow and die, and come back again in a new life, to begin the cycle again.
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2005 03:21
Hey everyone!

I was raised as a Roman Catholic for most of my life. However, this year it finally clicked to me that I am truly Athiest. I'm not going to get into detail and be offensive to people. However, I beleive there is no God. Sorry if this insults anyone.

I"m only 14, so my parents are devout Roman Catholics and refuse to let me become Athiest. However, I will be some day. I still have to make Confirmation in the fall, so they still have hope!
Tari_Helyanwe
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2005 06:20
Wicca does not say either of these things, there is no need to be saved or perfected. Sin does not exist. People do bad things, good things, indifferent things, its human nature, and they must take responsibility for their actions. There is no eternal damnation or eternal salvation, but life is on a continuous cycle where we are born, grow and die, and come back again in a new life, to begin the cycle again.

wow, thats really interesting. Wiccanism sounds like a really facinating religion.
Earnur
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2005 12:15
Although I'm an atheist, I've been considering to join this"religion"
Tyrann
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 07:11
I just don't see how anyone can live without God in their life. Jesus did so much for us, and it genuinley pains me to see people reject Him.

Amen, Vanya. Jesus did indeed do a lot for us.
I'm a Christian and I'm not ashamed to say so.
Aranel_Elenlin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 10:11
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just don't see how anyone can live without God in their life. Jesus did so much for us, and it genuinley pains me to see people reject Him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree!! no way i could live without Him!! :love: Even after all Jesus did on the cross... He still works in our lives everyday!! I know I wouldnt be the same person if it wasnt for His friendship!!
nutmeg1
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 01:57
I agree, Aranel_Elenlin. People don't seem to realize that people actually have a personal relationship with Christ, and talk to him. It's not really about church (though of course we need that to grow) and religion, it's very personal. He does change you!:love:
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 07:16
I don't quite have a religion, but I don't deny the existence of a divinity either. So, yeah, another agnostic here. I drifted through wicca for a while, it really interested me. The believes, the importance of nature; the latter is something that my mother always told me when I was younger. I tried it for some time, but I finally put an end to it when I realized something: I simply didn't believe. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a great way of life, but it just wasn't me, you know?

All religions are beautiful, as is true belief in humans. There is not one religion that you can call 'bad' or 'wrong', for who are you, as a none-believer, to judge what someone else believes in? There are some things I really don't like with certain religions, like proclaiming that your religion is the only right one and that all the others are false, that their gods are less real than yours, or simply don't exist.

The way I see it, religion is about support and hope and love; it should not matter what name you give to that.
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 12:04
quote:

I agree!! no way i could live without Him!! :love: Even after all Jesus did on the cross... He still works in our lives everyday!! I know I wouldnt be the same person if it wasnt for His friendship!!

Ditto everyone!
LOTRluver43235
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2005 05:08
born and raised Presbyterian. My dad was raised Catholic, but converted. Dad's family is made up of some of the most Catholic people I have ever met. they think it's a sin that he married a non-catholic woman (my mom). Mom's family is traditionally Protestant, but my Grandparents don't go because they haven't found a descent church yet (it's been a loong time) and my aunt hasn't gone since her wedding. So i guess you can only imagine what happens when both sides get together
Hopeinenpuu
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2005 10:31
I am an orthodox (christian) and belive in god...
_~yAsmInKaa~_
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2005 11:23
I'm a muslim...i believe in god...and i love my faith!:heart: of course i respect all other religions...:love:
nazgulli
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2005 09:25
I was raised Catholic, and I'm still in a catholic school, but I don't believe in it anymore
Tyrhael
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2005 05:34
I'm still agnostic; I'm think there's a God, but don't necesarily proclaim that the Judeo-Christian one is how he is, and I look at the Bible as a moral guide and historical record mixed with some metaphors and myths. I know that a man named Eashoa (Jesus in Aramaic) existed and was a spiritual leader of great moral fiber, but don't see any evidence other than word-of-mouth on his divinity. Certainly he was crucified, but only his followers claim he was resurrected. I'd be willing to listen to some reasons (over PM) if you have any on what proves Jesus was the Messiah other than the word of a book. I certainly believe that the historical events and such of the Bible happened, but believe some of the tales in the Bible are parables meant to provide a point, not actual events. I believe in evolution and other scientific processes, and that the Bible was written by man and is therefore inaccurate at times, such as when it claimed pi = 3.
The other reason I'm hesitant to be a Christian is because I believe you actually have to try to follow all the rules set forth in the Bible and try to prevent yourself from sinning; I'm not one of those people who thinks "Ok, I said I believe in Jesus, therefore I'm saved and I can now go sin in any way I please and feel no guilt at all." Just to be clear, though, only a handful of Christians I know act that way, and I am certainly not saying that is the norm for Christians! So, because of that belief of mine, it would pain me very much to follow some of the rules in the Bible, enough to make me miserable each and every day. And then I'd just be so depressed that I'd probably forget to pray and be a good Christian and such... I'd shut down.

I just realized I was sort of ranting... :blush: Sorry. Hope nothing I said has offended anyone.
Tyrhael
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2005 09:31
Oh, and I just wanted to say, the "Perception of Nothing-ism" sounds a lot like solipsism. Ever heard of it?

From Wikipedia:

Solipsism (from the Latin ipse = "self" and solus = "alone") is the epistemological belief that one's self is the only thing that can be known with certainty and verified (sometimes called egoism). Solipsism is also commonly understood to encompass the metaphysical belief that only one's self exists, and that "existence" just means being a part of one's own mental states — all objects, people, etc, that one experiences are merely parts of one's own mind.
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2005 03:34
I'm still agnostic; I'm think there's a God, but don't necesarily proclaim that the Judeo-Christian one is how he is, and I look at the Bible as a moral guide and historical record mixed with some metaphors and myths. I know that a man named Eashoa (Jesus in Aramaic) existed and was a spiritual leader of great moral fiber, but don't see any evidence other than word-of-mouth on his divinity. Certainly he was crucified, but only his followers claim he was resurrected. I'd be willing to listen to some reasons (over PM) if you have any on what proves Jesus was the Messiah other than the word of a book. I certainly believe that the historical events and such of the Bible happened, but believe some of the tales in the Bible are parables meant to provide a point, not actual events. I believe in evolution and other scientific processes, and that the Bible was written by man and is therefore inaccurate at times, such as when it claimed pi = 3.
The other reason I'm hesitant to be a Christian is because I believe you actually have to try to follow all the rules set forth in the Bible and try to prevent yourself from sinning; I'm not one of those people who thinks "Ok, I said I believe in Jesus, therefore I'm saved and I can now go sin in any way I please and feel no guilt at all." Just to be clear, though, only a handful of Christians I know act that way, and I am certainly not saying that is the norm for Christians! So, because of that belief of mine, it would pain me very much to follow some of the rules in the Bible, enough to make me miserable each and every day. And then I'd just be so depressed that I'd probably forget to pray and be a good Christian and such... I'd shut down.

I just realized I was sort of ranting... :blush: Sorry. Hope nothing I said has offended anyone.

One: An agnostic is someone who isn't sure if god exists, but it open to the possibility. A deist is someone who believes that God exists, but that it didn't give us a specific religion to follow.

Two: I have never been a believer in sin, that we're tainted or that if we don't follow the rules of a book 2000+ years we're all going to hell. As far as I am concerned, the laws listed in the Bible made sense in first century Judea, but were by no means meant to be carried on to the modern age, and its silly to cling to them.

Note: Laws don't equal ethics. Ethics are things that can be readily agreed upon, regardless of religious affiliation. Like killing. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a religion that says killing is ok.

Personally, in addition to being a heathen, a spiritist and a pantheist, I am also a deist.
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2006 08:53

Two: I have never been a believer in sin, that we're tainted or that if we don't follow the rules of a book 2000+ years we're all going to hell. As far as I am concerned, the laws listed in the Bible made sense in first century Judea, but were by no means meant to be carried on to the modern age, and its silly to cling to them.

Note: Laws don't equal ethics. Ethics are things that can be readily agreed upon, regardless of religious affiliation. Like killing. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a religion that says killing is ok.

Personally, in addition to being a heathen, a spiritist and a pantheist, I am also a deist.

Hmmm... you don't believe in sin? Sin is the bad things we do. We aren't perfect. And I resent that you say it's silly to cling to them. I'll give you plenty of reasons...

And I don't want to offend anyone at all, but doesn't the Koran say something about killing Americans or Jews or something?
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2006 10:30

Hmmm... you don't believe in sin? Sin is the bad things we do. We aren't perfect. And I resent that you say it's silly to cling to them. I'll give you plenty of reasons...

The sins I am talking about are stuff like homosexuality, not broad ethical rules like, don't kill people.

And I don't want to offend anyone at all, but doesn't the Koran say something about killing Americans or Jews or something?

Um, no. One, there was no US when the Koran was written. I haven't read it yet, my sister has, she says there's nothing actually in there about killing Jews. That's just propaganda.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: February 05, 2006 12:34
Let's be careful about this thread. It's jut a place to say what path you follow. No bashing of anyone, regardless of who does it to who. This has been hovering on the brink now for a bit. Let's keep it to just posting what *you* believe. That's very personal and should be up to choice. Opinions are just that. If one does not wish to follow the path of Christianity, that's fine. If one chooses to do so, that's fine, too. This thread was never intended to be a soapbox, so let's not make it one. And let's keep negative stuff about others' religions out of it, if you please. Thanks!
StrangertotheRain
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2006 02:00

No offense to you or to anyone else, but that is probably one of the most ignorant comments I've ever heard.
Nowhere in the Koran does it say anything about the deaths of Americans or Jews. It's like vaya said. America was nowhere around.
Just to let you know, I have Muslim/Arabic friends. But I guess since their Koran says something about killing Americans, I can no longer be friends with them, right? :nono: I hope you know what I'm trying to say here. Learn something from this.
It's no wonder why the "Journals" got shut down.

***My apologies to the moderators, but I just really had to get that off of my chest.

***And just one more thing: not everyone who is religious is good. Not everyone who are atheists are bad.
Just to let folks know, religion isn't a bad thing; it's the extremists in the religion that are brain-washed to do cowardly things just for greed and a lust for a power. Religion is used as an excuse to get stuff like that. THAT is why religion is frowned upon. I mean come on:
Christianity-Love/Forgiveness
Islam-Peace

Does that sound like something to hate? No, if you must dislike something, don't dislike the religion, dislike the cowardly extremists who use religon as an excuse.

I'm sorry if I sound "preachy," but this is the truth in my opinion. Don't attack me for something I believe in.

[Edited on 7/5/2006 by StrangertotheRain]
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2006 03:01
I follow the religon of Steve-ism. Basically you use your own heart to judge what is right and wrong. You try to be as good-hearted as possible, and respect everyone else's beliefs and opinions, even if you don't agree with them. There's no worshipping or praying, or other people telling you what to do. The only 'guidelines' we follow are 7 of the 10 commandments, as a basic outline of a good life.

So why is my religon so unpopular?
j/k i know why
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2006 01:13
Who's Steve?
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2006 01:26
that's me sorry top confuse
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2006 01:29
harharhar. I get it now.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2006 06:14
I'm Wiccan :rolling:
Rhysenn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2006 08:28
In regards to what was said earlier about the Koran, my understanding is that it isn't as extreme as some people believe, with the terrorism and everything that has been happening recently, but that there are passages in it in which Muhammed advocates the use of violence.

Me, personally though, i probably posted earlier and forgot, but i am pantheist/atheist. I have interest in world religions, especially eastern religions, but more for philosophical value than spiritual as i don't believe in anything supernatural or metaphysical per se.
MelannenBrennilAelwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 26, 2007 10:56
Very active Latter-Day Saint here...otherwise known as a 'Mormon'; however, we prefer to be called by our official name which is a 'Latter-Day Saint'.
PrincessPana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2008 11:35
I'm Jewish :love:

I believe in God :rolling: Am I alone ??
Christian_arwen7
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2008 04:06
i am a Christian and i was raised that way but i was never forced to believe, but i believe because i love GOD and JESUS with all my heart because i could never repay what JESUS did for me on the cross and then raise form the dead to save me. i also do not like the term religious as the negative conotation that some would like to tack on to it, like it is something for only the elite, but no JESUS is the Way and HE is love and HE is more than religion, HE is life eternal, forever and ever amen. so am i religious, no, but i am a born again, BIBLE believeing, trying-my-best to follow JESUS CHRIST Christian.

JESUS loves you all and so do i <3

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.

Psalm 62:1
Wizards_Pupil
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2008 04:26
No Pana, you are totally not alone, i believe in God, however i also believe in his son, Jesus, i am a born again believer, i also am not religious, because that is a term i used for what i was before i found God... I also have been raised that way Arwen :hug: there is a Christian forum in the prancing pony and a Christian club, you should check them out
Alatáriël_Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2008 07:18
As for me, I am a Muslim albeit not a good one, I have to admit.
I don't pray five times a day as required and I don't wear a headscarf (hibab) but I don't eat pork and I fast as required.

Why do I have the feeling I'm the only Muslim here? xD

Naera
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2008 08:25
I am not good at saying things without offending people, so please, please, please forgive me if I say anything offensive or otherwise irritating.

I am a Christian... but I am open to other religions. I am not totally a good girl, I have bad streaks... and sometimes, I forget to pray and sometimes I skip church, but I still feel good about myself. I believe that God sent Jesus to save me from my sins, and that He loves each and every one of us, no matter what we've done. :heart:

I have led a few prayer groups at my school, been threatened with violence and murder by some extreme-aetheists, and gone to a christian youth camp. But I am by no means prejudiced against any other religion. I have learned about the Koran (is that how it is spelled?) and quite a few different religions, not thouroughly, but I feel that I am in the right church.

I am not imposing my beliefs on others, I am just stating what I believe! Thank you for listening!
Nimthiriel_Lissesul
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2008 05:36
One: An agnostic is someone who isn't sure if god exists, but it open to the possibility. A deist is someone who believes that God exists, but that it didn't give us a specific religion to follow.

Just wanted to throw this out: I agree with agnostic up to a point...

Agnostics, another definition is, someone who believes in a higher power, but believes that the human mind is incapable of understanding what that higher power is.

And with that - I'm a soft-polytheist Pagan/Heathen. (Yeah, that's one to explain!)

Hail Odin (and Gaea)! :twitch:
Lady_Tiriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2008 07:39
Christian here...to be precise, Cradle Catholic Christian. I:heart: Jesus! *dances*
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email