Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: 'Approaching the Great End'!!--OOC
on: May 05, 2004 03:12
More people is probably a good thing (I shouldn't speak for Fae though)...But I can't wait to get this started...I'm excited about it, it seems like most people are really serious about it. Yay!
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: May 05, 2004 04:11
Yes - I agree - on both! :disco: And... :angel: ... waiting patiently... heehee!! :love:
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 08:50
OK! The stupid server let me post a 'testing' message... And hopefully THIS message!! But for some reason, it won't take my actual post message!!! :killcomp: I have to go do errands for a while, then I'll try again when I get back! :rolleyes:
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: May 09, 2004 02:18
I don't mean to intrude but I have been reading all the posts related to this potential plotline. Just wanted to offer a few thoughts that have crossed my mine.

RE: Humans/elves being able to understand one another. Didn't the elves spend thousands of years in Middle Earth and there they spoke English? Surely they would still be able to recall the language, though more formal than is now spoken. And a char could be created that "might have been" a close friend/colleague of Tolkien who would delight in "learning" their language, thus allowing incorporation of Sindarin/Quenya into the plotline ( a great place for some of us to practice )

RE: Finding Valinor. If in the Atlantic (as was suggested [shades of Atlantis....*chuckle*]) U-boats ran rampant off the coast of North and South Carolina. The northern edge of the Bermuda Triangle reaches that far. Perhaps a U-boat accidently ... well, you can guess.

RE: Axis vs Allies in discovery. Whoever discovers them, at least one or more should find their way into Axis Germany's hands. Wouldn't Dr. Mengeles have a ball with them?

RE: Civil war between the elves. Since the end of the 3rd age, they have been hidden from mortals. But they have probably been watching the battles of man for centuries. The Greeks/Trojans. France/Russia (Napoleanic) France/Great Britain. Great Britain/America. American Civil War. They have remained uninvolved thru the centuries. But those centuries could have created a schism between those elves who inhabited Middle Earth for the Ages and shared alliances with Mankind.. and those who retained a distance from Man and remained in Valinor. Seems feasible to me that there would be great arguments about should they/should they not get involved.

Sorry if I'm poking my nose in where I am unknown but I am really interested in the concept...might even like to join if possible.

Le hannon for your patience and for my intrusion.
(nickname) Falas_Brennil
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: May 09, 2004 06:20
Welcome Berethedhellen!

Well... in regards to your first point. Anyone who has been forced to memorize ANYthing in Old English ((as I was forced to do in High School. *Faen shudders at the memories of "the Lord's Prayer" *)) knows that, although it was the language from which our modern English evolved, it was NOTHING like modern English. Since this was the last kind of English the Elves would have encoutered (as Rohirric) it would still take them a bit of time to be able to understand Modern English. I was thinking that the linguist character may have to first figure out that the Elves had been exposed to Rohirric, then use it as a translator between both Elven tounges and Modern English. Whatcha think, Gwen?

And, yes, the part that I have written already does involve a U-boat as well as the area of the Bermuda Triangle. So it's good to know that what I was thinking makes sense!

I tried to post once before to celebrate the fact that Rudhwethiel, my beloved Muinthel wants to join us, but the server wouldn't take my post for some reason! :killcomp:

Rudh soooooo rocks! She is my Muse! So this it turning out MUCH better than I had even hoped!

So, I will get together with her and we shall do our conspiring, then I will hopefully get the finished intro up by the end of next week! I can't wait to get this up and running!
Faervara
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2004 11:36
Lol - I have taken old English in college - Beowulf!! 'Thaer at hyde stod, isig ond utfus, hringedstefna, aethelinges faer'... (sorrry, coulnd't resist :blush
Yes, Doktor Mengele would definitely try to get his hands on an Elf for some research and testing... Just a note of warning: I would not like to go into the details here, that's just too horrible. If you have seen pictures of how people looked after he and his minions had been finished with them you know what I mean.
I am really looking forward to how this develops!!
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 11:41
Ooh, I like the idea of the Bermuda Triangle... Anyways, I'm still waiting for a little more of the intro to create a character...But this looks great, we've really got some holocaust experts (which I'm not...But I know some stuff).
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 12:09
There is also something else that might be considered... Thiadvain and Caran (Faervara's character) are married. One of the 'big' things that the Nazi's did was to take children away to 'raise' them in their own 'ideal'.

If a few elven children were taken... (reluctantly Faer and I will 'volunteer' theirs)... that might be another 'impetus' to rally the elves against the Nazis... elven children are rare and precious...

Opinions? *hiding*
kaazebrabeads
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 04:10
Hi! and I can't wait.......... this is going to be great!

However..... just to come back up to speed with everyone.........

I have four characters.....

Saer Dusigil
Kale Brightblade

-twin brothers........ elven

Kelastral Nightblade
Krsy Ravenswood

- Keli is Saers Daughter..... full elf
-Krys is half-elf half human and Married to Keli.......
-they may have children with them.....

there......

the whole blamed family is here.... and I mean everyone......

Faervara, Gwendeth and I RP with each other alot.........

All of our characters are related! You guys have a whole family to deal with here! Should be interesting....

[Edited on 14/5/2004 by kaazebrabeads]
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 05:03
:blush: Ok.... this is quite embarrasing! I'm the one with the bloody idea... the one who's writing the into and background.... And I never even considered what character to use!!! :blush:

If anyone wants to go through my Character Profiles ( My Characters ) and give me some suggestions, any and all would be GREATLY appreciated!

If you read this, Muinthellen.... HEEEEEEELLLLP!!!! :banghead:

[Edited on 14/5/2004 by Faenauliel]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 14, 2004 02:49
Hmmm... lol! Ai, Faen! :hug:

Well... unless you want to create a 'new' character... what about either Annúniel or Brêgalagos?

And, heehee... yes... 'family'! In case you haven't checked bios (which have been updated BTW) Thiadvain and Saer are cousins... which makes Keli his cousin, too.

And... though not 'here' yet... Thiadvain and Caran have 3 children: Eirieneth and twins Elharnon and Elthoron... we can make them 'young' enough to be of 'interest' to the Nazi's...

Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2004 04:24
Faen, I thought you had sailed into the West and left me *Hugwiggles muinthellen muchly!* I just got back from a week and a half of vacation,so I'm a bit out of things. :dizzy: You know I LOVE Breg, so he's the first who came to mind when I thought of your characters. What do you think of my using Gelladar? That way if you wanted to use Breg perhaps the two could meet sometime, since Breg has never met Gelladar but is sure to have heard of him. Or do you think another, perhaps original, character would be better? Just let me know what I can do to help!! We need to schedule a chat or something! This RP is gonna be soooooooo cool!!!
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: May 26, 2004 09:52
OK!!! >Ahem!<

I have the intro completed and my first post {which is also important for the intro} written. I'm just having my beta-reader go over it for technical flaws in the military language and whatnot...

One thing I need to know is this:

I went along just assigning random last names to the certain Navy crewmembers along with their jobs just to make the story flow better. If any of you have specific last names and/or chosen tasks/jobs for your characters already, let me know if I should try to work that in. You are welcome to take on any of the guys as your character. They are not developed or anything, I just needed a way to refer to them as they interacted with each other during the operation where they find Valinor. Also, you are free to make your character be someone that I have not yet mentioned. There will be quite a few US Sailors decending upon our poor Elves!

You can either PM me or just post it here if you need to know more or want me to be sure to add anything to my post.

The thread will be up and running by Saturday for sure!

Sorry it has taken WAY longer than I expected.... hopefully, it will be worth the wait.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 04:28
DEFINATELY, this is worth the wait!!! And don't worry... we're all being very, very patient! :rolling: :love: :angel:
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 10:36
Yes, it's worth the wait all the way...Yei! I'm excited. But I still need a character... :blush: Erm, I think I was thinking of being a soldier of sorts, and an anti-elf character. Since I haven't thought of a name yet, I'd take one of the names you already used in the intro...Erm, let's think about this a bit now...
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 11:48
kk!~

The thread is up {in Tolkien Related} and ready to go... As I said before, none of the Sailors I mentioned has much of a background. They were just random names I added in to go with the faces in my head.

Now the Navy is going to send out a security team on RHIBs (Rigid Hulled Inflatable Boats) to do some recon. They would board a ship if they thought it was a threat, but as all the ships are moored up for the night there isn't one to board.

My plan is that the Elves will see this small fleet sitting off-shore in the morning and send some ships out to investigate... I imagine that it will really 'hit the fan' then!

OOH! Also... I know that I only mentioned Brêg and his kids... but there would have been at least 3 or 4 more crew for his ship as well, if anyone wants to include themselves in that. Otherwise, I'm sure there would be quite a few Elven ships sailing about the island for various reasons.

Well... feel free to have at it! I can't wait to see what you guys come up with! :love:

[Edited on 27/5/2004 by Faenauliel]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 12:14
Suilad!

Wonderful ideas, guys! Well, I think everybody here already knows: when Faen writes something, it's something absolutely FABULOUS!

Just a voice from somewhere outside: why don't you consider Valinor becoming a battle-ground of both Allies and Axis? The war line moving as one of them win or loose... Both sides occupying the lands they rule, tryong to control the peaceful elves that live there, even making them fight for the opposite forces... And, I don't believe the elves would have given up their land so freely. What about an elven militia?

This would create quite a confusing situation in Valinor. Nobody would know who is the enemy and who is the "protector" today, even less tomorrow!

I know this, because Latvia was a similar battleground between the Germans and the Russians for decades. And the people forget their quarrels to hold against any foreign force that comes to their homeland - for all of them claim to be friends, protectors, liberators... Being nothing else as occupants.

This is just my humble opinion... I don't want to make any pressure on you!

Nif*
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
kaazebrabeads
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 04:35
Ok.....still coming in on this thread..........

I still have Saer DuSigil and Keliastral Nightblade and Kale Brightblade.........

However...... I have a change in the fact that Krys Ravenswood is NOT going to be in this one...............

so I'm currently down to three..... I'm not sure about Morwen Sideslider......... I don't think he fits!

Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 04:54
Heeheee! Right! Mallen is NOT letting Keli go anywhere without him!

Faen, may I join, too? As this one will be moving slowly, I can even expect to keep up with it!

*puppy eyes*

Nif*
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 06:11
Of course Nif!! You are ALWAYS welcome in my threads--you know that!!

I think you'd be great at writing for at least one of the Sailors!!

I hadn't planned on the Elves 'giving up their lands easily'... As I said before, I expect all hell to break loose! But your idea IS great!! We could start out with the Allied and Axis forces splitting the island and then when the Allies win the war, the Elves feel betrayed because the US claims the island as a Military outpost or something.... hmmmmm *Faen's mental gears start whirling at the speed of light*

Thanks guys :blush: I'm very flattered! I'm just glad that you liked the intro and my first post! HerGimli helped me out with the Navy-speak (he's in Hawaii and finally on his way home!) So, if you guys ever need some technical advice about Navy schtuff let me know and I'll e-mail him with the question. Also.... I've been watching LOTS of the History Channel lately and that seemed to help immensely!

RUUUUUUUUDH!!!! Where the HECK ARE you, Naeg!?!
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 06:54
Thanks Faen! *happy dance*

Well, I'll have to think about that sailor thing, but I am more than sure that Mallen (Caimallen Holm-Oak, as you can find him in the DB) will definately volunteer to command the militia...

Ahhh! I'm in! Feels SO good!

Nif*
In the Realm of Ulmo
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 07:15
AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOM, Faen!!! :love:

If you need/me to 'play' someone else too, just let me know, ok? Thiadvain is agitating....
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 08:21
OOH! OOH! Nif and/or Gwen! Seeing as how you are doing SUCH a great job with the Numenoreans in 'Dartho'... Would either of you like to play Commander Garrison and the (as yet unnamed) Captain? :angel:

Aaaaannnnnd.... I thought that maybe Faervara would be great as some sort of Nazi Commander.

OOH! OOH! The Captain of the damaged U-boat!!! Whatcha think?!

[Edited on 28/5/2004 by Faenauliel]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 29, 2004 03:12
I would love to 'do' the Captain... Do you mind if I think up/find a name?

Trying to work up my first post!!! heehee :evil: :angel:
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: May 29, 2004 07:42
No, no! I don't mind at all! I can't wait to 'meet' your Captain! Hahaha I already hate Commander Garrison.... I hope the Captain is able to control him! :evil:
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 29, 2004 10:56
Heehee... yes, indeed... Well, I've got a 'start'... but I'm having to figure the Captain (whose name is Mark Andrews) out some, lol!... hopefully my first post is ok! I can edit/change if needed...
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: May 29, 2004 11:54
Great post, Gwen!! I love 'your' Captain!!

I'm trying to come up with a good way to establish that this is most likely the opposite end of the island.... or at least severaly miles up the beach. That way the USN and the German U-boat will take at least a few days before they get wind of one another. If anyone can figure a good way to do that, please feel free!!

This is turning out sooooo good already!! I can't wait to see where it goes! :love:

Addendum:

I just wanted to make sure that everyone keeps in mind the whole 'history' in the story. From Brêg's point of view, it is:

When Brêg and Faen finally left Middle-earth for Valinor, Míreneryn was (I'm gonna say....) 10 years old. When they arrived in Valinor, the relationship between the different factions of Elves was already tense. By the time Mír was a few hundred (?) years old, full-scale warring had broken out. At the point in the story when the Navy/U-boat show up, the Valar would have left some thousand or so years before.

I was thinking that we should be careful to keep in mind that the warring would probably have decimated the Elves of all the 'groups'. After all, none of them would be thinking of begetting children when there was war going on. I think it is perfect that Gwen's character has younger children because that would show that the Elves had finally had time to see life as 'getting back to normal' after the leave-taking of the Valar and the 'grudging truce'. So they would have begun to recognize that their numbers had grown far too small due to the war, and are now beginning to increase their population again.

This would also explain why Brêg's children (or at least Nóruion and Lhoss have not yet married as their choices of mates would be very limited). I'm going to establish that Mír had married, but lost her husband in the wars. I figure that Nórui and Lhoss must have been born during the few hundred years between when Brêg and Faen reached Valinor and the outbreak of the wars--during the tense times.

Just a few points that I wanted everyone to keep in mind about the effect the 'Civil' warring would have had on the Elves.

I'd like to get a consensus on exactly how long it should have been since the leave-taking of the Valar. Since I've established that Faen has been dead for 'more than a thousand years', it should be at least that much time. :feedback:

[Edited on 30/5/2004 by Faenauliel]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 30, 2004 08:10
I would thing that at least 1,000 years for the departure of the Valar would be right.

And... actually, the opposite 'end' of the island would be good. I'd think the elves would be scattered around it quite sparsely, in fact, due to their reduced numbers. And yes... perhaps enough time has gone past for them to feel 'comfortable' with starting families again. I'm sure Thiadvain and Caran aren't the only ones with children.
Faervara
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2004 02:15
I nearly forgot: we'll have another character, a she-elf called Sedhadriel - she is Saer's wife. They don't have children, though -and won't have any. I'll post her profile in the database as soon as I can...
Faervara
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2004 02:59
Just FYI: If you want to see how the flag our characters have spotted looked, go here:
http://www.flaggenlexikon.de/fdtlhi3r.htm
It would be the sixth from above.
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: May 31, 2004 03:40
Hey there!! I used this site to research my first post. Then I lost the url..... which drove me freeky-deaky nuts!! BUT I found it again and thought that you guys might find it useful.

It has timelines for just about every phase of WWII, as well as pictures and maps! It rocks! Hope it helps!

WWII info site
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: June 01, 2004 05:06
I've introduced my character , belrustan the Smith, and had him immediately appear useful to the Germans. I don't where this is going, but it looks like the ride will be fun.

[Edited on 1/6/2004 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Faervara
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2004 10:48
I am sorry that I did not read this thread closely enough.. I missed that I was to play the U-Boot commander - but I have tried to do so now, in response of PBHF's post - I hope it's ok...
His name is Olaf Hansen (lol - named after my current boss... but boss is much nicer ), he's a carreer officer who had gotten up the ladder under the Nazi regime, he's loyal to his Führer and not only an officer but also a party member. He's cold, calculatiing, intelligent, a brilliant seaman.... that's all I know about him right now...
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: June 01, 2004 12:42
Wooo hoooooo!! Pb and Faer, you guys are INcredible!! Both the Metal-smith AND the German Lt. Capt. sooooo ROCK!!

And, Jaid, don't worry... your intro of Penny was great!! I like her already!

I'll try to sit down and write another post later this evening! GAH! Works been horrid! Last month we had 83 births!! (Not bad considering we have only 10 birth rooms and one for triage!) Over the weekend we had to divert 4 patients to another hospital and we've even had people birthing in our triage room! :dizzy: My head's still spinning!

[Edited on 1/6/2004 by Faenauliel]
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: June 01, 2004 02:03
:love: Faen, Love! :heart: of course I shall join! I even have a wicked idea in mind as well!

It has been made apparent to me that the three factions involved speak completely different languages (german, English, and Elvish). I would propose that my character be a sailor on the USS Nichols. The twist.... *drumroll please* I shall be an interpretor. With a vast knowledge in logistics and whatnot. (more of a scholar than a sailor) This way, he could fairly-easily learn the Elvish language, while already knowing both English and German. What say you?

Oh and something about your second post just brought into mind... Bermuda Triangle... for some strange reason.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email