Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
kaazebrabeads
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: 'Approaching the Great End'!!--OOC
on: June 01, 2004 04:19
Ok...... I know this is probably driving everyone crazy....... but THIS IS MY FINAL CHARACTER LIST! Really......... and I have a post thought of now........

Saer DuSigil: Archivist...... and has a natural talent with Languages... Sedhas his wife (Faervara)

Kale Brightblade:Soldier Saers Twin

Keliastral Glaew-DuSigil: Saer's daughter, healer
Krys Glaew-DuSigil: Keli's husband, Soldier.... ability to speak to birds and Horses (animals) He's half-elven

They have 3 sets of twins..... Rin/Celin (girls and eldest).... I'll let you know about the others......... as they come into the story.....

They are all apart of the group/family that are Faer's and Gwens characters....

I decided after some real hard thinking to go with the original characters I had planned to use.......... I had changed my mind to work with Nif and her character Mallen...whom I RP with Keli as her partner......

I had also thought to make new charactes.... but decided against it.....

So As soon as I get my mind back on track! I'll post...........

Keli,Krys,Kale,Saer are all in the database.....
Faervara
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 12:01
I wondered how we are to solve the problem of the different languages, especially since neither Germans nor Americans would speak Elvish, and the Elves neither German nor English... So I came up with the following idea, especially for the Germans - it's quite far-fetched and complicated, but the only link I could make out: we know that Rohirric is more or less Old English. So we could have a German officer who has been a student of English (the officers were mostly very well educated, and Old English was a required part of the curriculum then - still is at some universities *shudder*) so this officer would know his Beowulf and Old English very well. This would enable him to at least understand a few pieces of Rohirric - and perhaps one of the Elves they are to encounter speaks the language of Rohan? My character, Caran, surely does - and Saer, too. This could be the link that enables the Germans to learn Elvish - via Rohirric/Old English...

Does that makes any sense?
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 12:23
Erm... I must admit I don't know a word in the Old English! Faer, you will have to be that officer who speaks Old English (Rohirric).

Well, I am still thinking about the characters I'll come in with... I'll let you know as soon as I have them ready in my head. But one of them will be a Nazi, for sure!

Nif*
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Faervara
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 02:33
That would be ok, Nif - I could handle the Old English.
YAY - a fellow Nazi! *evil laughter*

[Edited on 2/6/2004 by Faervara]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 02:58
Yay!

BTW, your Kaleun was striking! A perfect Nazi commander!
And named after your boss! I'll have to name somebody really nasty after mine!

Nif*
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 06:47
WOOOO HOOOO!!! All great ideas everyone!!

:disco: Yaaaaaaaay!! I'm soooo happy you could join us, Mae!! :disco:

It was a GREAT post! And I love your character. The only inconsistency that I caught is that it took the ship hours to make it through the thick wall of fog, and they emerged at evening. It IS feasible that Will would be part of a boarding party with his interpretation abilities.... I'll post later to try to get their recon group ashore. I figure they'd look around then go and report back. Then, in the morning Brêg and the rest of the Elven sailors would see the large ship (as well as its accompanying frigates) off-shore.

I absolutely LOVE how this is coming along!! :love:

Addendum: As an afterthought, I wanted to recap some of the events in case it is confusing to anyone.

I figure that the sub must have been far less damaged than the crew of the Nichols thought. And, seeing as they were at depth of 500 feet, the U-boat would not have been dealing with the rough seas and the thick fog of the Daer Mithram that slowed the Nichols down. Because of this, the sub obviously made landfall earlier in the day before the Navy ships even broke through the Daer Mithram.

I wasn't sure if this had confused anyone, my friend here read it and got a bit baffled, so I thought I'd clear that up.

ALSO... The linguist characters should keep in mind that there are TWO Elven languages being spoken on the island: Sindarin & Quenya. I really would prefer to have some of the Elven characters use Quenya in their posts, but unfortunately, I don't think I know any of the Quendi speakers! If anyone has any ideas, let me know!

[Edited on 2/6/2004 by Faenauliel]
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 11:06
Sorry, sweetie. All fixed. *slaps forehead* I hadn't realised how thick the fog really was.

Um, are we using the actual USS Nichols? If so, the Nichols was one of the smaller ships that accompany the carriers, one of the smaller battleships, but we could pretend it was the lead boat in the convoy, I mean it's not like we have to go exactly by the book. (Yes I have done a bit of research and even managed to find a pic Let's see if I can get it to work )

hehehe, the helicopter's even there and everything!
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 11:43
I was wondering how my character would get the germans to understand that he'd like to do some metalworking for them. A translator would really help.
Is This a suitable U-boat for use in this RP? I noticed that thencaptains wquarters had wood trim and panelling and mentioned that in my last post.

[Edited on 2/6/2004 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 01:25
HAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!! That is HILARIOUS Mae!

I had called our ship the Nichols as a tribute to HerGimli! But, yes I knew that it would have been one of the smaller ships. It is a Battleship (they LIVE for hunting subs! ). We have 2 smaller frigates along with us as well as the Destroyer that had dropped the depth charges. We must have 'lost' the Destroyer in the Daer Mithram ((OOPS! :blush: )). The Commanding Officer of the Destroyer would be in command of the 'fleet' as it were. But since the Battleship is there for defense and support of the Destroyer, they (we) would be the ones chasing the sub.

I sooooo love that pic! HerGimli is gonna have a field-day with that one! Especially since it has the helo in it as well!

[Edited on 2/6/2004 by Faenauliel]
Faervara
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 01:53
I have posted a profile for Kaleun Hansen in the database - it's still only the bare bones, but I think it will be further fleshed out soon...

Great U-Boot pic, PB! I think it fits perfectly...
PB: just one thing - I don't think that the Nazi's would have invited the smith to some kind of drink - if they had it on board at all, alcohol would be strictly rationed - and I guess they would be quite harsh toward the smith and force him (as soon as they have understood that he can do such things) to help them repair their boat... Hansen especially is rather cold and calculating, and not very humane...
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 02:36
*Blushes deeply* I thought you were using the real ship... :blush:

Now don't I feel sheepish yet again... Oh well, glad you like the pic though

Oh and Faervara, I love your characters, very much like I would have suspected them. And yes, PB that is exactly what I would suspect the Uboat to look like!

Oh and to give some sort of atmosphere to the Uboat people (Since I have been on a sub many times, my brother is in Nuclear subs in the Navy ) They are extremely cramped. The bunks are squeezed wherever they can find room... ie. between boilers, over crank shafts etc... and they are very small, not even big enough to roll over in without paying attention not to fall out. I don't have any further pics to add to PBs wonderful ones, since it's against US Navel policy to take pics inside the nuclear subs.... Also, they echo something fierce, every clank of metal resounds throughout the hull, though the engines are quite loud, if it is a diesel, which I suspect it would be. Anyhow, hope that helps

As for the Nichols, my dad was first class naval intelligence, I think he was on the USS Jamestown during the Vietnam conflict. But through his stories, I think I have a good feel for what went on on those ships, from a crewman's point of view. And since baseball was coming into its prime around the time-frame of our story, I thought it would be fun to introduce my character as I did... wow, I am rambling.... enough *zips mouth shut* or rather *sows fingers together*

Looking forward to continuing with all of you!
:love: :heart::love: :heart: :love: :heart:
kaazebrabeads
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 05:07
My first post is up! Finally........

And I love all the work thats going into this thread! I can't wait to see what happens!

Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 05:09
Great to have you here Kaazebrabeads!! And your post was wonderful as well!!

Just keep in mind, everyone, that the Nazi U-boat must have made landfall someplace other than the harbor. The Navy is at the harbor and we want to have a little bit of a line drawn in the sand between the USN and the Nazis!

OK... I posted the Navy's 'first meeting' with the Elves at the Harbor.

Is this thread reading alright? Or has it gotten too confused and out of sequence with the daytime Nazi encounter and the later-that-night USN encounter with them? :twitch: My best friend ((and worst critic, apparently)) says she is 'confused by the flow of the time-frame'? *Faen shruggs* Does anyone else agree? And, if so, any ideas on how to fix it? :feedback:

ALSO...... Never take my Sindarin into account. It shall be corrected by Gwen soon enough! And, Gwen, just PM the corrections to me and I'll change it accordingly! :angel:

[Edited on 3/6/2004 by Faenauliel]
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 05:50
I'll just edit my post to take care of the time - how's that?
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: June 03, 2004 04:01
Okay, my Old English is only slightly better than my Elvish. :blush:

Faervara, if you see anything wrong, please feel free to PM me with any corrections that might be necessary. Oh and I should state for the record that I did like the story of Beowulf, and also that the epic did affect Tolkien's writings.

Oh also, I did purposely make Will screw up his translation a bit, thought I should add a bit of humor, this scene is far too tense. And since my Old English is semi-atrocious, it aughta fit perfectly with Will's slight knowledge of the language.

*tosses the ball back to Faen* It's your turn sweetie. :disco:

[Edited on 3/6/2004 by maeghin]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: June 03, 2004 05:38
I'm thinking that Bell is rather big and intimidating and the offer of a drink was a way to show not being intimidated by him. As there are also Americans in the vicinity it would be desirable not to alienate the natives.
I figured that once he is accompanied back to his forge and shows some of what he can do, Bel will be "urged " to help repair the sub. Perhaps it would be better if he is shown some of the damage so that he can start to work on patches right away. Bel doesn't think that these people are any threat to him; he just wants to make something more immediately useful that the things he's been making ever since they came to this Island.
( I'm assuming that elves can use 'other powers' in their smithing and that is part of whay they can make things that are beyond the abilities of mere men. I just hope that my assessment of these abilities doesn't come too close to godmoding)

[Edited on 3/6/2004 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: June 03, 2004 09:53
Hahahaha!! YOU... Godmodding?!?.... NEVER, Pb!! I thought it was great! And Tolkien's Elves were more 'in-tune' with the things they created, so I think it fits well.

OK, Mae.... I left the hard part to you! My Old English abilities are NON-existant... So if you find any flaws, Faer, feel free to give me the corrections and I shall change them!

**Faen does another Elven Booty-Dance in celebration of the amazing writers on this thread! :disco: **
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2004 08:08
You guys are absolutely fabulous! You never cease to amaze me. You all are so talanted writers!

I am currently reading The Silmarillion, and I reached the place where the elves are returning to Valinor after the defeat of Morgoth (Melkor). And you know what I found? The elves of Beleriand didn't sail as far as Valinor, they remained on Tol Eressëa instead... I haven't read any further, so I don't know what happens next, but this is the fact I found. What do you say about it?

Nif*
In the Realm of Ulmo
kaazebrabeads
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2004 02:55
Ok....... I think heres the 'stupid question that no one wants to ask..."

What has happened to JRRT's characters in our thread? I mean Celeborn, Elrond and the others? What happened to them? I sort of figured that when the Valar left, Gandalf being Maia went with them.... but what happened to everyone else....

I just sort of want to know............ :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2004 03:03
This question had crossed my mind, but I didn't pay too much attention to it... The hobbits would be dead already by that time, wouldn't they? They can't live forever like elves... Or am I wrong?

Another thought from my part - referring to my previous post: maybe the Sindar coming from ME were too many, and they were having children... So, their numbers increased, and the isle of Tol Eressëa became too small for them. So, a part of them moved to Valinor, what angered the "local" Quendi, who considered themselves purer (taking into account the half-elven), especially those who had never left Valinor. And, if their half-human or half-dwarven mates came along to Valinor, it could have been considered as a blasphemy, couldn't it?
In the Realm of Ulmo
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: June 04, 2004 01:36
Well Nif... I guess with the Wars and whatnot, perhaps they could have gotten killed? Or perhaps they are still there? Maybe we shall encounter them eventually? I guess that is up to the thread master....

Speaking of my little Wolfy.... Faen, I posted Will's profile in the DB... That pic is especially for you!! :naughty:

How can Mir turn down those eyes???

:drool: :blush: :love:
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: June 04, 2004 04:33
Hahahha!!! NOPE! NO complaints from Mír whatsoever!! :love: :love: :love:

And as to your point, Nif... Yes, the Elves of Beleriand did stop at Tôl Eressëa... But that was after the defeat of Melkor. However, at the end of the Third Age, when the last of the Elves were leaving Ennorath, Tolkien explicitly says that they sail for Valinor. I think that perhaps the Elves of Beleriand were the only ones who decided to end the journey at Tôl Eressëa.

Also.... I never mentioned the 'celebrities' of Tolkien (i.e. Elrond, Celeborn, etc.) simply because I tend to shy away from having any one specific person 'play' any of Tolkien's characters.... It always ends up a bit 'god-moddy'. However, I don't mind (and even encourage) people to play around with placing such characters into their posts in sort-of cameos. As long as they don't become 'main' characters themselves, I think it can really help to carry the story! Feel free!

Keep in mind though, that the Elves spent at least two thousand years in a horrible Civil War (which ended at least a thousand years before the present). So, not ALL of Tolkien's characters could have survived. The Elves' numbers dwindled and they are just now feeling comfortable enough to start rebuilding their communities.

Which brings me to something that I was thinking.... Eventually one of the Edain are going to want to know how long the Elves have been there. For example: how long since they left Ennorath? how long they were at war.... how old they are individually (which I thought was something that Will would eventually get around to asking Mír, seeing as how he's too curious for his own good! ) So we need to come to a logical consensus as to how long ago they left Middle-earth. I'm figuring it must have been about 5 thousand years. Or does that sound like too much time? :feedback: .... AGAIN!
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 04, 2004 04:49
Another thought from my part - referring to my previous post: maybe the Sindar coming from ME were too many, and they were having children... So, their numbers increased, and the isle of Tol Eressëa became too small for them. So, a part of them moved to Valinor, what angered the "local" Quendi, who considered themselves purer (taking into account the half-elven), especially those who had never left Valinor. And, if their half-human or half-dwarven mates came along to Valinor, it could have been considered as a blasphemy, couldn't it?

Nif... Faen has already posted the 'reason(s)' for the breech and hostilities in the Intro.

Who did or did not Sail to Valinor is a little besides the point, I think. And... if you consider it... the same 'blasphemy' would have applied to Elrond... and it did not. So... who we have for characters shouldn't matter, I think, without a whole lot of questions.

Edit: I think about 5,000 years sounds good!

[Edited on 5/6/2004 by gwendeth]
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: June 04, 2004 10:54
Ok! All my profiles are now up! There are even profiles for Duffy and Malone. I'm not sure if or how Duffy is going to continue to play a role in all this, but I thought I'd make a profile for him anyway.

I made a profile for Malone because I think he's going to end up being my 'Elf-hater' Lemme know whatcha think!

And thanks for your opinion on the time frame, Gwen!
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 04:39
I've posted a brief bio for Belrustan and altered it and my posts so that he was born more than 5000 years ago;, before these elves returned to earth.

I'm not certain what he should do next. My intentions were for him to return to his forge, with some of the Germans, to gather tools and materials for the repair of the sub, but with the Americans already staying the night, do we want their paths to cross this soon? . I guess that it is possible that the forge of Belrustan is closer to where the sub is than to where the Americans are being housed so we could avoid a meeting for a while. perhas the elves will deliberately keep the two factions separated

The elves will be aware that there are two different groups of men, but Bel will be so caught up in this chance to use his abilities that he won't worry about that at all. I expect him to be able to use his mind to be able to sense what is needed to repair the patterns in the sub and won't go into details of the actual repairs.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 09:17
Ok - I have entered Captain Mark Andrews profile into the Database, and also updated Maedon's and Nirithil's.

And... again, Maedon and Thaidvain are cousins, along with Saer, Keli, and Kale. lol, quite a family there, heehee!

[Edited on 5/6/2004 by gwendeth]
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 10:43
OK, Mae! You're up!!.... I figure that someone on the security team that stayed behind is going to insist on setting up a watch for the night. Other than that, I can't think of anything else.... You always know what to write anyway!

Also... I would be great if someone could get started on the big 'town meeting'. Feel free to add Brêg in a bit, if you want. I'll add on to it later if I need to.

Also... NIF!! **Huge hugwiggles** Thank you soooo much for adding in some Quendi characters!! I can't wait to see how it goes when they have to interact with their Sindar counterparts again!!

I absolutely LOVE the new profiles!! This story is comming along sooooo beautifully!! :love:
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 06, 2004 03:28
WONDERFUL post Faen!

Now... lol... a quick question for you and Garrison... has he forgotten or ignored his direct order to call Capt. Andrews when the RHIB's return? Or can/should I make it an 'understood' thing that he did? HELP! *puppy eyes*

Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: June 06, 2004 10:04
Knowing Garrison there was probably just a 'slight delay in finding someone to go fetch the Captain'. He would never ignore a direct order, but he is the kind of guy who would want to look good by finding out as much as he can before the Captain was able to make it on deck! I'll just edit my post slightly to take care of it!
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 06, 2004 10:18
:blush: I didn't think that Garrison would, not consiously anyway! I was thinking about just 'assuming' that SOMEONE would let the Captain know, anyway, heehee! Le hannon, Faen!
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 06, 2004 01:23
(( Sorry for the double-post! ))

Faen... if I need to make any changes/edits to "Duffy's" comments/conversation with Capt. Andrews, just let me know ok? *puppy eyes*
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 05:10
Dear Faen, I am always there for you, you know that! If you need Edain warriors, you have them, if you need a couple of Quendi - there you go!

Look, I'm sorry for my previous comments, I was just playing with ideas... I never intended to really change your story!

Guys, could you consider deciding, during the council, to warn the Quendi about the strangers? Just a short message of info. Then a couple of messenger could be sent to find out what is going on... It doesn't have to be a person, maybe just a bird? Anyway, the decision is up to you!

Nif*
In the Realm of Ulmo
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 11:06
:love: *hugs to all* :heart:

I'm going to try and post tonight if I can (pretty hectic here with the nice weather beckoning me to come outside and do my yardwork )

To answer PB's question... I get the general feeling that this island is fairly large... Indeed it must be to have been large enough to support all the Elves that left Middle Earth... Anyhow, since the wounds of the War are still fresh, wouldn't it be feasible that the Elves are on 'speaking' terms? That is to say that they tolerate each other, but by no means are overly 'friendly'. This could cause different factions (which I believe were listed previously) and these factions would tend to isolate themselves from each other. Perhaps those that found the 'shelob followers' would not tell those who found the Americans, and vise versa, due a lack of trust or respect or whatnot, at least until they have decided what is to be done with them?

Anyhow, that's my general understanding for things. If I am wrong, I would be grateful for being told thusly . If I am correct, perhaps some of you others could elaborate? (hint hint Faen)

:heart: :heart:
Faervara
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 02:21
Hi guys,

I'm sorry - I have not posted for more than a week... I was away on a conference... I hope Captain Hansen's absence did not mess up anything.

Maegin your Old English is awesome! Keep on posting!! And just for the record, I am not an expert on the language - I have taken Old English in my Master's degree, but that's some time ago.... But I will try my best, promise!

maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 05:29
Thanks Faer, that is very flattering seeing as how I am teaching myself Old English as we go... I know a bit about word stems and origins and conjugations from learning other languages, enough to get by.

My Sweetest Faen!!! I hope I did okay in my last post, I would assume that Mir's family would lecture her about her actions toward the 'Rohir'. I wasn't sure who had gone to the meeting, I assumed that the men had. If not, I can always edit... Sooo, now it's your turn I believe... Show Will what you think Mir would be inclined to, then he would have to return to the library, we wouldn't want the men to be tooooo worried about him right? Also, what should happen when they meet the transport in the morning? Should they all go back? Only some of them? Or will some of the Elves go to the Nichols? Also, when do the germans learn of the Americans and ViseVersa?????? :dizzy: too many questions......
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email