Register

Author Topic:
Rik
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Favorite quote of FOTR?
on: December 08, 2002 04:38
Here are my favourites.
"One does not simply walk into Mordor. It's black gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the great eye is ever watchful. It is a baron wasteland, riddled with fire, ash and dust. The very air you brethe is a poisonous fume. Not with 10,000 men could you do this, it is folly." - Boromir

"I would have followed you my brother, my captain, my King":cry: - Boromir

"Oh that's nice, ash on my tomatoes!" - Pippin

"You cannot pass! I am the servant of the secret fire, weilder of the flame of Arnor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Údun! Go back to the shadows, YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" - Gandalf

"In the place of a dark lord you would have a QUEEN! Not dark but beautiful, TERRIBLE AS THE DAWN, TREACHEROUS AS THE SEA! STRONGER THAN THE FOUNDATIONS OF THE EARTH! ALL SHALL LOVE ME AND DESPAIR!" - Galadriel

"(Pulls an arrow out of a Dwarf skeleton) Goblins!" - Legolas

"...And they call it a mine, A MINE!" - Gimli

"Here's one Dwarf she won't ensnare so easily, I have the eyes of a Hawk and ears of a fox!" - Gimli

"The Dwarf breathes so loud we could have shot him in the dark" - Haldir

and here's some from The Two Towers

"I would cut off your head, Dwarf, if it stood but a little further from the ground" - Éomer
then in reply to that
"(pulls out bow and arrow and aims it at Éomer) You would die before your stroke fell!" - Legolas

"I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide" - Gandalf

"It can not be!" - Aragorn

There's mine!
Gypsy
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2002 05:01
I can't believe no-one has mentioned;

Sam: Trust a Branbybuck and a Took!
Merry: Nonsense. That was just a detour...a shortcut.
Sam: Shortcut to WHAT?
Pippin: MUSHROOMS!!

Also on the extended version, I really like the extra Sam and Frodo scene. (approximated, haven't seen it for a bit)
Sam: You haven't eaten all day.
Frodo: I'm not hungry.
Sam: Are you sure you won't eat? I promised Mr Gandalf I'd look after you...I promised I'd help you...
Frodo: You can't help me, Sam......Not this time.

:cry: :cry: :cry: Poor Frodo!

Oh, and also;

(From the book) "Butterbur they call him. If this delay is his fault I will melt all the butter in him. I will roast the old fool over a slow fire" - Gandalf

[Edited on 8/12/2002 by Gypsy]
Arwen_The_Elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2002 01:41
Aragorn: Gentlemen, we do not stop till nightfall.
Pippin: What about breakfast?
Aragorn: You've already had it.
Pippin: We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast?
Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?
Merry: I wouldn't count on it.

hehehe....that's so totally me. i [b]LOVE[/b][i][/i] EATING! eating is good.

N-nothing important. That is, I heard a good deal about a ring, and a dark lord, and something about the end of the world, but please, Mr. Gandalf, sir, don't hurt me. Don't turn me into anything...unnatural.

Pippin: Anyways, you need people of intelligence on this sort of... mission... quest... thing.
Merry: Well, that rules you out, Pip.

I'm Pippin all the way. i'm just not as clumsy. i'm an Elf.:evil:

Throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity.

I would have followed youto the end....my brother....my captian.....my king.....

Men? Men are weak.

ok. i'm done.

TheMedicineMan
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2003 10:49
you do not know fear,you do not know pain,you will taste manflesh
Alaere_Dûnhilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2003 12:05
The whole script, no, the whole trilogy is my favorite quote.
Alaere_Dûnhilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2003 11:43
Okay, after thinking about it, I have come up with some....

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.

I don't know half of you as well I should like, and I like less than half of you as well as you deserve.

If, by my life OR death, I can protect you, I will.

Gentlemen, we're not stopping before nightfall.
And what about breakfast?
You already had it!
We've had ONE yes, what about second breakfast?
The look on Aragorn's face after this one, is sublime!!!

Nobody tosses a Dwarf!

Well, she won't ensnare this Dwarf so easily! I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox. Ooh
The Dwarf breathes so loud, we could have shot him in the dark.

Nine rings were given to Men, who, above all, desire power (I especially like the sneer in her voice when she says this).
.... for the hearts of Men are easily corrupted, and a Ring of power has a mind of its own.

Anyway, you need people of intelligence on this "mession".... quest.... thing....
Oh great, that rules you out Pippin (when he nods, I roll over the ground laughing!)
Nine companions, you will be the Fellowship of the Ring.
Great! Now, where are we going?

Can you protect me from yourself?
I would have followed you into the very fires of Mordor.

It's mine, my own, my love, my prrrreciousssss.....

We will not abandon Pippin and Merry to torment and death. Leave all that can be spared behind. Let's hunt some orc.

Give up the halfling, she-elf!
If you want him, come and claim him!

Okay, I could go on and on, so I'll force myself to an ending here.

Love,
Alaere
Lintelómiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2003 10:41
Ohh, this is hard...this is very hard. I like the entire script! I guess I'll have to narrow it down. Hmm...Hah! I'll guess I'll categorize them by character!

Frodo: "NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" (yeah, I know he says so much more, but this really moved me! Like when he yells "Gandalf!" after being stabbed)
Sam: "Let him go! Or I'll have you, Longshanks!"
Pippin: "That's nice! Ash on my tomatoes!"
Merry: "Yes, Pippin. My point is, he's clearly overreacting!"
Gandalf: "Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo’s hand. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo?"
Aragorn: "I can avoid being seen if I wish, but to disappear entirely...that is a rare gift." :drool:
Boromir: "Have you ever seen it, Aragorn? The White Tower of Ecthelion... glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver...its banners caught high in the morning breeze."
Legolas: "A lament for Gandalf...I have not the heart to tell you. For me the grief is still too near." :drool:
Gimli: "Aragorn! These woods are perilous! We should go back!"
Haldir: "The dwarf breathes so loud, we could have shot him in the dark." (that arrogance! magnificent!)
Galadriel: "Darkness crept back into the forest of the world. Rumour grew of a Shadow in the East, whispers of a nameless fear."
Saruman: "The hour is later than you think. The nine have left Minas Morgul. They crossed the river Isen on midsummer’s eve, disguised as riders in black. They will find the Ring. And kill the one who carries it."

But as I said, this is only a selection. I like the entire movie!

[Edited on 21/5/2003 by Lintelómiel]
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2003 11:39
That talk that Gandalf and Frodo had in Moria. (See my signature)

"I wish that the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide..."
WoodlandGuard
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2003 12:10
IsilDUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meneandúnêiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2003 04:24
How about - "This is no mere Ranger. This is Aragorn, son of Arathorn, you owe him your alligence."

Very powerful moment as everyone realizes who he is, and it solidifies Legolas as loyal to Aragorn.
Karin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2003 02:58

"One of the halflings carries something of great value.
Bring them to me alive and unspoiled...KILL the others!"

Saruman
ShyHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2003 05:57
Wow...you guys have done all the good ones, several times

*sigh* the whole movie, but one thing that really gets me is the conversation between Boromir and Aragorn in Lorien.

"One day, our paths will lead us there. And the tower guard shall take up the call, for the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

So sad Because you know he's never going to return. :cry:
Danni-elle
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2003 06:16
My fav part would be when Legolas said to Gimli "Should i describe it to you or would you like me to find a box"And Gimli just laughs there are lots of other parts but that will take ages and ages to write
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: March 08, 2003 08:15
"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world Frodo besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring, in which case you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought." Gandalf

"This is no mere Ranger. This is Aragorn, son of Arathorn, you owe him your alligence." Legolas

"What you see I cannot tell, for the mirror shows many things. Things that were...things that are...and some things that have not yet come to pass." Galadriel

Those are my favourites
Becki
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 03:48
My favourites are these,(in no partictley order!):

Elrond: So be it, you shalll be the Fellowship of the Ring!
Pippin: Great! Where we going?
Pippin: Anyway, you need people of intellence of this misson, quest, thing!
Merry: Well that rules you out Pip!
Gandlaf: What did you hear?
Sam: Nothing inportant, well, that is I heard something about a ring and a dark lord and something about the end of the world!
Aragorn: Getlemen, we don't stop until nightfall.
Pippin: What about breakfast?
Aragorn: We've already had it!
Pippin: We've had one yes,what about second breakfast?
Aragorn walks off
Merry: Don't think he knows about second breakfast Pip.
Pippin: What about elevensees? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn’t he?
Merry: I wouldn't count on it.

Well, that's some of mine, I'll get a few more some hopefully! As you've guessed, most of mine have Merry and Pippin involed in them somehow!

~Becki

AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 10:06
So many!
Funniest? "They have a cave troll?" Boromir in Balin's tomb and "Where are we going?" Pippin at the Council of Elrond.
Saddest? "I would have followed you my brother, my captain, my king." :cry: :cry:
Greatest from book to film? Undoubdly any of Gandalf and Frodo's heart to heart's, eg,
[/b]Frodo: It's a shame Bilbo didn't kill him when he had the chance.
[b]
Gandalf: Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. . . Many that live deserve death some that die deserve life. Do not be too eager too deal out death and judgement even the very wise can not see all ends." :cry::cry: Get's me everytime.

[Edited on 23/5/2003 by AEvenstar]
Frodo_007
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2003 09:02
i have soooooooo many but some are:

"What must i do?"

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future"

"You need people with intelligence on this sort of mission...quest...thing.Well that rules you out then Pippin"

"I know what i must do, its just, im afraid to do it"

ok, im not gonna go on otherwise ill get kicked out for over posting
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 29, 2003 03:23
If, by my life or death, I can protect you, I will.
This one really shows how Aragorn is, cause when he first took Frodo into his room on "The prancing pony" at least I was a bit worried, though I hadn't read the book then.
charmedArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2003 04:53
my favorite quote is by Sam, after Strider had discoverd Frodo and the ring at the Prancing Pony
"Let him go. or I'll have you longshanks!!" something like that.
and Pippen at the council of elrond, "you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission, quest, thing!". There are a lot more but I'm through for now.
Orofâniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2003 08:51
I got sooooo many!!!!!

But I think Pippin is very funny when he says:" What about second breakfast?" lol :drool:

I also like when Arwen says the Bruinen spell:

NÎn o Chithaeglir
lasto beth daer;
Rimmo nîn Bruinen
dan in Ulaer!
AlatarielofRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2003 04:36
How about the whole movie?? Ok...

~But where our heaerts truly ie is in peace, quiet, and good tilled earth~(EE)

~Today of all days it comes home to me that it is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life~

~I wish it had never come to me--So do all who live to see these times, but that is not for them to decide. All we can decide is what to do with the time given us~

~A pity Bilbo didn't kill him when he had the chance--Pity? it was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be to eager to deal out death and judgement~

~Yet hope remains while the company is true~

~My point is, he's clearly overreacting!~

~I would have gone with you to the end, to the very fires of Mordor~

~This is no mere Ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Aragorn. You owe him your alleigance~

~I would have followed you, my brother...my captain...my king~

~Even the smallest person can change the cource of the future~

~I'm glad your with me, Sam~

~I don't know why I took you in after your Mothe and Father died...I think it was because out of all my numerous relations, you were the one Baggins who showed real spirit~

~I think in his heart Frodo is still in love with the Shire..the woods...the fields...little rivers~

~I spent all my childhood pretending I was away with you on one of your adventures. My own adventure turned out to be quite different~

~Where's he taking us?--To Rivendell Master Gamgee--Rivendell! You here that? We're going to see the Elves!~(EE)

~There is only one Lord of the Ring...and he does not share power~

~Hey! Hey you, over here!--It's working--I know it's working..run!!~

~If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword~

~Nine companions, so be it. You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring--Great!....where are we going?~

~Besides, you need people of intelligence on this mission...quest...thing--Well that rules you out Pip~

~You are Isildur's heir, not Isildur himself.--The same blood flows through my veins, the same weakness~

~You will face this same evil and you will defeat it~

~It cannot be destroyed, Gimli son of Gloin, by any craft that we here posess~

Ok, that's a few of my favorites And like I said before...the whole movie:0
ElvenKing_32
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2003 04:12
Some I cannot trust, and those I can trust are too dear to me...

Frodo decides to go alone to Mordor near the end of FOTR.

If by my life or death I can protect you, I will.

Definitely Aragorn's best point.

[Edited on 16/6/2003 by ElvenKing_32]
Arwen-Elf-Princess
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2003 04:00
my fav is galadriel~"May it be a light when all others go out."
eowynshue
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 22, 2003 05:51
ooo i love the whole thing! but a few of my fave quotes are:

~ i made a promise mr frodo, a promise! "don't you leave him samwise gamgee", and i don't mean to,*sniff* i don't mean to ~ sam :love: :cry: :love: (this is my favourite part of the film! so sweet!)

~ Anyway you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission, quest... thing ~ pippin (typical pippin intellect)

~ Farewell, Frodo Baggins. I give you the light of Ërendil, our most beloved star. May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out. ~ galadriel (actually i like all her lines, i do a great impression of them too! lol)

~ it is not the eastern shore that worries me. a shadow and a threat has been growing in my mind ~ legolas :love: (and since reading the VSDs i find this extremely funny)

~ A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to. ~ gandalf (i suppose i'm a wizard then... )

~ I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve ~ bilbo (still have no idea of the meaning of this!)

~ We must join with him, Gandalf ~ saruman (only because it sounds so much like chris lee's line in star wars epII )

~ I can avoid being seen if I wish. But to disappear entirely, that is a rare gift ~ strider (the way he says this and pulls off his hood :drool: )

~ It must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came ~ elrond (the delivery of this, like most of his lines, is so awesome!)
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 22, 2003 09:34
Yep, I think all the ones I had in mind have been stated already....I agree that the whole movie is just one big string of fantastic quotes - as is TTT: every week in my diary this year I write at least 2 TTT movie quotes, I think I've got the whole movie in there now!
But nonetheless I will restate some of my favourites:
"What about second breakfast?"

"We will not abandon Merry and Pippin to torment and death. Leave all that can be spared behind; we travel light. Let's hunt some orc!"

"Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee, and I don't mean to, I don't mean to."

"I do not know what strength is in my blood, but I swear to you I will not let the White City fall, nor our people fail."

"They will look for his coming from the White Tower, but he will not return." (EE)

I won't keep going, though I could..
QueenArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2003 07:56
"If you want him, come and claim him!"

Elrond: Nine companions, so be it. You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring.
Pippin: Great! Where are we going?

I love this one! Pippin is so funny!

And.....
Pippin: what's that?
Merry: This, my friend, is a pint.
Pippin: It comes in pints?
Pippin: I'm getting one.

[Edited on 23/6/2003 by QueenArwen]
Eothain
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2003 09:15
Several:

"If you want him, come and claim him!"- Arwen Evenstar

"I am a servant of the secret fire, weilder of the flame of Anor the dark shadow shall not avail you, flame of Udun! YOU... SHALL NOT PASS!"- Gandalf the Grey

"Let them come, there is one dwarf left in Moria who still draws breath!"- Gimli

"I would have followed you, my captain, my brother, my king.."- Boromir.

Great lines, all of them.
QueenArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2003 02:28
Let's not forgot,"What are you doing?" "Eating Breakfast" "You've already had breakfast." "We've had one yes. What about second breakfast?" *Aragorn gives Pippin a quizical look* "I don't think he knows about second breakfast Pip" "What about elevensies? Lunchen? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper?" "I wouldn't count on it" *Aragorn thorws an apple to Merry,Merry catches it.* *Aragorn throws an apple to Pippin and hits him in the face*

LOL i love that part of the movie!
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2003 02:07
I don't know if this really counts as a quote but:

My favorite quote is when Aragorn sees Frodo at Amon Hen

A: Frodo?
F:It has taken Boromir
A:Where is the ring?
F:Stay Away!
A:Frodo? I swore to protect you.
F:Can you protect me from yourself? Would you destroy it?
Now after getting that set up
I like it when Frodo holds out the ring and it wispers
Aragorn Aragorn Elessar
The look on his face just makes me fell like he realizes that the Ring of Power is in his grasp but he resists the ultimate temptation.

P.S. If you can hear the ring speak play the vloume up. You can hear a hissing sound but it's not very clear. Closed captioning also helps.
ElvenKing_32
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2003 03:02
From the ElvenKing Thranduil-
To Legolas2

Was that in the Extended DVD Version? Because that's not in the book and I don't remember it in the movie...
pippinsscarf
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2003 07:54
ok here we go.........

What about second breakfast?

What do they eat when they cant get hobbit?!?!

Your supposed to stick it in the ground! It is. OUTSIDE!!

I made a promise Mr.Frodo a promise! Dont you loose him Samwise Gamgee! And I dont mean to I dont mean to!!!:cry::cry: gets me every time!!!

Will you look into the mirrow? What will I see.
Even the wisest cannot tell. For the mirrow shows many things!

Well you need people of intellegence on this short of mission......quest............thing! Well that rules you out Pip!

I dont know half of you half as well as i should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!

I see you!

Confounded old samwise gamgee!! Have you've been evesdroppin?? I havent been dropping no eves sir honest!!

Whats that? this my friend is a pint! It comes in pints?!?! mmm.. Im getting one! You've had a whole half already!!!
Well thats all for now!
Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
on: June 26, 2003 08:51
Ah so many quotes, I have many favorites.

In addition to the ones already mentioned ...

"What is this new devilry?" - Boromir
*~elven_princess~*
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2003 10:50
My favorite is Legolas' last lines "Hurry Frodo and sam have reached the easteren shore" And, " you mean not to follow them?":drool::love: That one is my ultimate favorite
Elanessa
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2003 02:27
Hmm..

"Fool of a Took! Throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity!"

*Pippin* "It's working!" *merry* "I know its working! Run!"

And of course

"What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them doesn't he?"

*giggles* Can you tell I like Pippin?
Ember_Stryder
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2003 09:20
All of Aragorn's lines and all of Boromir's lines!

Especially that scene in Lothlorien where they're talking about Gondor,it's one of my favourite scenes!

Though the one that forever I will like is:"It is a strange thing that we should suffer so much fear and doubt,over so small a thing,such a little thing"

and ever sine I saw the movie for the first time the line "It could have been mine,it should be mine,give it to me!" has stayed firmly in my mind!

And,of course "If by my life or death I can protect you,I will"
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email