Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
Post RE: OOC- Approaching the Great End- restart
on: September 27, 2004 06:11
Faen, PB, anyone. Would it be possible to ....
1. Find the map that Maeghan (was it?) created
2. Update it to include the Telerin community (I think we agreed they would be on the bay between area 6 & 7 but don't recall for certain)
3. Put it here in OOC for us to view and be sure that it is re-upped once a week or so so we can look at it frequently.

I think it would be such a help to the newbies as well as the original players. It gives us all a sense of perspective on who is where in relationship to all the others.

Thanks.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: September 28, 2004 03:15
Sure thing, no problem. I'll try to edit, though the Hardrive I had it saved on is now corrupted. I think I can get the image from my journal, though I will not be able to edit any of the graphics (unless I start from scratch) because the program I used to generate it needs the original that was saved on the old hardrive... *fhew*

Also, I see that PB has taken us well into the story. Oh and Faen, I am waiting for your next post so I put up my reply. We are closing on our house today, so I am afraid that now really starts the busy period for me. I have a lot of things packed already, but I really hate moving, especially when I am not allowed to lift anything over 25 pounds... I feel kinda useless :S ah well, Here's that map again...

1: Sindar
2. Island center? (where the meeting hall is, they would need some common ground?)
4.Bel's Forge (also a 'settlement' of one of the races, not sure which Bel is associated with)
7. Quendi
8. Island of the peacemakers (those who refused to take part in the kin-wars)
9. German landing site
10. American landing site
11. Teleri

[Edited on 28/9/2004 by maeghin]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 28, 2004 04:09
Maeghin

Thanks for the speedy delivery of my request.

I hate to nit pick but could you edge the 11 for the Teleri up and to the right just a tad. See the backward L above the Quendi that surrounds the bay with the small island in the middle. I love that bay and the farthest northeast corner looks like it would hold the perfect promontory that my gal has been standing on to look down on the harbour. Could ya do it, please, please.

And what are 3 and 6? They appear on the map but not on your list.

I know moving is a drag...time consuming and tiring...so no hurry. I'm happy to be on the map at all and can wait for a slight adjustment (assuming it's possible to make one). And why can't you pick up more than 25 lbs, girl? Need a hand? I'll be right there. Well, in spirit anyway. *smile*
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
musicalgal123
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 28, 2004 08:43
Ok, I'll post an intro to my character, but he (my german guy) isn't gonna be off the sub yet. I'm kinda still getting my bearings strait. But, I promise that when I do get my bearings strait, I will do a little more than just "Read a letter from a close friend of the characters" or what have you.

Oh yea, and I said I'd play a german for you. His name is Carl von Struben. (I hope that is german enough and that no one has a similar name, let me know if you guys do and I'll edit my post.) I'll put him into the character profiles when I can

[Edited on 28/9/2004 by musicalgal123]
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: September 28, 2004 10:46
LOL, berethedhellen, thanks for the offer of help Oh and I am around 4-5 months pregnant, that's why I can't do any heavy lifting, sorry I guess I figured everyone knew by now

As far as changing the map, already done. Is that what you had in mind? And 3 and 6 were open in case we needed them. They may just be random cities that we can use later on, but they are there (better safe than sorry, it's always easy to ignore a place on a map than it is to add a new one)

Update, we just got back from the bank, and we now are the owners of our very own house! :disco: Now the real 'fun' begins.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: September 28, 2004 01:03
Congrats meaghin , and thanks for the incredible map!!
Bel is now on his way to the beached U-boat( I'll asume that the river he speaks of is too small to show on the map) . In a day ortwo I"ll post about his first meeting with the Germans, especially if someone wants to take the role of the leader of the shore party and confront him on the beach.
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: September 28, 2004 05:07
Actually, Mae.... My post was already up and waiting for your reply. However, I noticed that the next post from you would need to have the part with the 'hounds' edited out. If you need me to, I can re-post it for you. Just lemme know!

Congrats on the new house! I remember that feeling... it's the best!!

I'll check back tomorrow to see what I can do!
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 28, 2004 05:08
Ah, Maeghin, that's perfect!! It's as though my twins are both standing there together. Okay, okay, I'm tired so a bit slap-happy. But that's exactly where I wanted the Teleri to be. Thank you.

And no, I didn't know you were with child but I am so happy to hear it. And a new house of your own on top of that. Phew! I am exhausted just thinking about it. I really do wish I could come and help...sounds like you could use all you can get. But good luck and may the blessings of the elves be yours.

Potbelly, you go, guy! Maybe MusicalGal's character can get off the boat to give you someone to meet.

MusicalGal, I don't recall anyone using Carl von Struben (was that correct?...*scratches her head*) but it's a very solid German name so go for it. Why not post now with him coming on shore and then running into PB's char? Doesn't have to be a long post, just enough to get him started. PB will take it from there. Good way to get your feet in the water (pun intended)

Right, PB?

By the way, where is the gal who started all this lunacy? Faen, where you be, girl? We miss you and your input. Hope all is well with you.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 28, 2004 05:13
FAEN!?!? How did you sneak in before me that quickly? Glad to see you though.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2004 11:57
*tiptoes in* Hello? Probably don't remember me. *sweatdrop* I was gone for so long.

Anyway, I'd love to still be in this, especially if it's restarting. I'd like for Penny to do something. ^__^ That is, if you'll still have me.
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: October 04, 2004 03:54
Okay, posted my german's first post. If you can't tell, he's kinda lost it. I guess not everyone can live in a tin can deep beneath the ocean and remain sane. Karl is also very strong, large arms and a huge barrel chest. Blonde hair, greyish blue eyes. Kinda scary when he glares...

Is Aqua okay for you guys for german? Sorry, I don't know any german, so, um, yeah, I need the colors for that one too. :blush:

Anyhow, off to hunt some... well whatever he finds. If someone playing an elf would like to have Karl take a shot or two at them, (or even hit them) go for it. He pretty much doesn't care what he shoots, he just wants to kill something... :evil: Besides, we could use the shots later on, kinda in key with the original we had going, only Karl doesn't get killed please... :angel:
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: October 05, 2004 06:05
VERY nice work, everyone!!!

It has been horribly crazy at work.... not to mention that missing W has made sleep a bit difficult lately..... Sorry for the delay.

Also, Berethedhelen..... I think that in your last post, one of your characters ((Brilliant that you made her Brêg's cousin, btw.... as Brêg's father had believed that his infant brother had perished during the sinking of the Isle of Balar.... I LOVE the historical implications of THAT!! )) BUT... I think that the timeline is looking a bit iffy.... I'm wondering if maybe I should go back and add in a small scene where Brêg hear's his cousin's 'message' while he is sitting near the fire that first night before the USN arrived on the island.

I think that would get the times on both MY character's story-line and YOUR character's story-line in sync..... BUT keep in mind that--while Brêg is perfectly capable of receiving such a message..... he has no ability to 'send' her a message back. Maybe she could 'sense' that he received it or something. Whatcha think?

I really LOVE the way this is going!

OH!!! And I almost forgot.... I'm happy to see you back with us Jaid! I'm happy to see that Penny is continuing with us on this little adventure! As I said in my PM:

Get together with Mae or post in the OOC and see if the 2 of you can work out exactly how Penny should come into the story this time.

I know that last time she was going to be Will's Auntie and a Linguistics Professor.... I think that would still work.... I was thinking that Will could contact her to try to get her help with decifering the various Elven languages that he's gonna be dealing with on the island...

Whatcha think, Mae?

[Edited on 6/10/2004 by Faenauliel]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 06, 2004 05:36
Faen...not sure why the time is out of sync but I'll take your word for it. But you've answered a question I had just PM'd you about...the ability to "mind meld" so to speak. If he can't talk to her, then I will have to send someone south to talk to him in person. That was what I needed to know in order to continue. Thanks. I'll begin developing my next contribution to the thread.

And Mae, I am just soooooo happy every time I look at that map. :heart: I am just where I wanted to be. Thanks again.
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: October 08, 2004 06:47
OH MY VALAR!!! Muinthellen you soooooo ROCK!!!!

It never ceases to amaze me how brilliant you are! I can just imagine the look on Gelladar's face when he realizes those are the coordinates for Töl Eresëa!!

This whole story-line is turning out even better than I thought it would! Thanks everyone!! :hug: !!!

[Edited on 9/10/2004 by Faenauliel]
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2004 02:20
LOL stop it, muinthell, you're making me blush :blush: :love: I'm sorry about W being gone, I know that has to be so very hard I'm always here if you need me! Gerich velleth nin, always!

I'm trying to do my research for the posts, but I'm really a geographical idiot and my history isn't much better Any advice or corrections is most welcome! You guys ROCK!!:heart:
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 12, 2004 05:45
Okay troops....somebody SPEAK! We've fallen to the second page and are getting harder to find.

I've got people to move and nowhere to move them. Who's next? I miss everyone's posts as well. I've re-read what's there 100 times already (btw Faen..noticed the addition of Tara's connection to Breg..nice addition and makes sense that way).

So, come on, kidlets. Write write write.
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: October 13, 2004 11:45
Hahaha... Sorry, Bereth! I saw you post a few days ago and have been trying to find the time to write here in the OOC how incredibly brilliant it was!! I can't believe you were EVER not sure that your writing would be 'up to par'. You are absolutely AMAZING!

And, considering your OOC post above, I am officially making YOU the threads Morale Officer!

I actually wanted to post again, but can't do so until Mae posts Will's answer to the last one that I put up.... But I'm not sure if she is off the net for a little while or not! She never let me know if I was supposed to go ahead and re-post for Will or not..... If she doesn't post in the next couple of days, I'll go ahead and re-post hers then add my post as well... OR if someone else knows if she has gone on hiatus yet or not, let me know and I'll do it sooner (any ideas Pb? )

:heart: :love: I LOVE this story!! :love: :heart:

[Edited on 13/10/2004 by Faenauliel]
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: October 13, 2004 03:48
Ai! I am still here, only vewy vewy busy... I'll try to keep up better though. oh and yes, I have to agree with Faen, Bereth you are awesome! As are all of you in this thread! :love: Yippee! I can't wait to see what happens. My uh... psycho german will probably take pop shots at anything that moves, he's not all there you know. I should be posting for him shortly. If anyone wants to come in contact with him and his little group, feel free!
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 13, 2004 06:10
Ladies, ladies....please. You are embarrassing me. :blush: Personally, I find when I read the entire thread, it reads like one ongoing story by the same gifted writer so a pat on the back for all of us. But I am glad that I can contribute and am enjoying myself as much as all of you. Faen, I too think this was a wonderful idea from the beginning and still do at the restart. WE ARE GREAT, aren't we? (Thus spake the Morale Officer)

Maeghin...a thought. I know you have been itching to give your maniacal German a chance to "prove his dis-quality" (to mis-use a quote from LOTR *giggle*) and I think I have an idea. My two Telerins must head south west thru the unlabeled territory marked #6 on the map, then south thru the forested area along the west coast before they can turn south east to get to Breg (check the map for the path I'm describing). It is conceivably possible that they could have a run-in with Karl somewhere along the way. I know you don't want him killed but how about a little wound? nudge nudge.

I'm already including such a meeting in my draft for the next post so if you agree, I'll continue with it. If not, let me know soon. Thanks.

Okay, kidlets, I'm busy writing writing writing....everyone keep up now. :cheers:

Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: October 14, 2004 04:42
Ok! I re-submitted the appropriate post with some changes as some of the characters formerly involved are no longer with us....

Bereth--our ever-jovial Morale Officer --and I have worked out some ideas for the upcoming arrival of the twins.... But first there will be the whole run-in between the Gwanun and the Germans! I'm on the edge of my seat Mae and Bereth!! I can't wait!

I tried my best to talk HerGimli into writing for the Captain, and--much as he assured me that he'd really like to --he is going to be uber-busy with training for the next 2 months, then it's off to the USS Prebble! So, I guess I'm gonna end up writing for the Captain as well... Unless anyone else can recruit someone who'd make a good go at it? :feedback:

ALSO!!!...... I plan to add a little blurb--perhaps to this last post OR to my next one--that has to do with the Navy sending in a search detail.... I mean, I doubt that a whole Destroyer team could go missing for long without being noticed. Yeah, yeah :banghead: .....YET another 'civilian mistake' that needs to be addressed! Any ideas/input to help me figure that one out will be greatly appreciated! *Looks in Pb's direction questioningly *

C'mon, c'mon, Muinthellen!!!! What's next for Gelladar/Gerhardt?!?!?!?! :disco:
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2004 07:23
Hi everyone! Um, I need some help. Anybody have a suggestion for brining in Penny? :feedback:

Also, Maeghin, did you get my pm? I'm afraid my comp is being stupid again.... :killcomp:
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: October 15, 2004 09:20
oh sorry Jaid! I meant to respond, and I thought I had :blush: at any rate. I think the idea of having Penny be Will's Aunt is still a good idea. As for entering the story, I have an idea. Will could send a letter to his aunt (or rather a telegram, as a letter would have to physically be sent and would take a long time to get there) with some samples of Sindarin in them, for her to study. You can take it from there, though I doubt the navy would give out the whereabouts of the island to a civilian, you will have to find a way around that dilema :evil:
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2004 04:22
Hey kiddos You all amaze me- such talent! :heart:

C'mon, c'mon, Muinthellen!!!! What's next for Gelladar/Gerhardt?!?!?!?!

Actually, I'm looking for a bit of input in that department. :blush: I have my next post planned, a "departure" post for 'Gellahard' . But after that, I don't want him to arrive in Valinor TOO quickly. Any suggestions for possible delays?

Also, dear muinthellen, I know we had talked about my writing for one of your characters, possibly Lhoss. Did you still want me to take her on for you? Just let me know! :love: And your last post was AMAZING, as always! I nearly bawled when you mentioned Sulfalas' death! :cry: I LOVE him!

[Edited on 16/10/2004 by Rudhwethiel]
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: October 16, 2004 03:10
What about a storm sweetie? and perhaps the fact that the equipment would start to glitch when they neared the coordinates? Those would delay you at least a few days. Also, would they be sending another sub to the rescue? Or a destroyer?
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 16, 2004 06:24
Rudh & Jaid...I think I can safely say that the time for travel across the open waters of the Atlantic during WWII was not as if they were flying in an SR71 Blackbird. It took days, sometimes weeks, due to the need to avoid the enemy. E.G. if Gerhard/Gelladar was assigned to travel via U-boat, first he'd have to get to Bremerhaven to meet up with one, then the sub would have to go through preparations for the trip, then, when they left the harbour, they would have to elude the British and American frigates, destroyers, etc. who would be searching the waters for any such travel. That means the U-boat would be criss-crossing and zig-zagging all over the ocean, or just sitting dead in the water, to avoid being spotted. Same thing for Penny, if a civilian could even be assigned to a frigate to travel at this time. So neither of you have to concern yourselves with either of your characters arriving too awfully soon.

Maeghin and PB....I am about to enter the area on the western shore near where PB's forge is located. Now is the time! Either I run into Karl, Bel/and his guards, or I don't. Still waiting to hear from you, Mae, if this is okay with you. I'll post what I have so far so you can all see my intentions. If this is not the direction either of you had planned, pleeeeze let me know.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2004 09:20
Thanks for the info bereth! I figured Penny wouldn't arrive too soon at the island, but I did want her to show up in London first - that's where she lives.

Mae, that sounds good! So Will will be the son of Penny's younger brother Thomas, who I suppose we'll say married an American lady and raised a family in the US. You can make up anything else about Thomas you want. ^__^

So, I'll make my first appearence some time after Will sends the letter.
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: October 16, 2004 09:47
Sounds fine with me! Perfect set-up for my post... Only, wouldn't they have to go South and East to get to the forge? Not West?

Okay, so to clearify a few things, Karl and his men managed to get far enough North while the twins still headed southeast, and came across their tracks. It's the only way I could think of to have Karl and his men find the twins.

Also... In 1945, the technology available for their weapons would make a 70 yard shot a pretty long shot, almost like a sniper shot, but I'm sure a sniper back then could shoot well over 100 yards and be accurate (which would be about 200 yards or more nowadays). And Elves could probably only shoot around 50-60 yards realistically, to be accurate, and that's giving them an advantage. (A normal person today, 50-60 yards with a high-end compound bow is a pretty long shot... yeah I do a bit of archery too ) So that would explain why the twins were unable to solidly hit Karl.

Also Bereth, I left it open as to whether one of your characters were hit or not. That is up to you

If there is anything amiss with my post, please let me know :blush:
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 16, 2004 05:59
AAARGH!!!! Maeghin, you are sooo right. Put it down to dislexic vision. I just looked at the map and can't imagine what I was thinking. :banghead: I've edited my post to send the twins east instead. And since Bel is further north, near the landing site, and Karl has headed into the woods at about the same point, I think if I send them southeast they should run into each other somehow. As to who gets wounded, I'm still in too much shock at my idiocy to think about that yet. I'm sort of thinking Karl might get an arrow in his arm (yes I know I know, arrows don't go as far as bullets but elves come up on someone more silently and get closer before they're discovered than whomping stomping men ). But whether either of the kids get wounded...let me think on it for a while, okay?

Pooh, the Morale Officer needs a morale boost. :cry:

Okay, time to go read the updated posts and see what's going on.
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2004 01:55
Mae & Bereth- Thank you both so much for the suggestions! You gave me a lot to think about and work with! I'll try to get another post up this afternoon. Good stuff, thanks again! :love:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: October 18, 2004 11:01
my next post will be as the leader of the group hanging with Bel. (My second attempt at a second character) I'll name him Lieutenat Frederick Ludschweite. He'll decide to camp out at Bel's cottage and forge but a party will be sent off when they hear the shots from the hunting party. I'll wait to see if anyone gets hit before I post.
(I made a post here a day or two ago but i guess i forgot to send it after I previewed it- oh well)
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 18, 2004 08:25
Rudh and Jaid...I am getting so excited to see what the entry of these two new characters will offer to the scriptline. Better get them started on their respective journeys as it will take them twenty posts each to get to Tol Eressëa.

PB...the twins are on their way to you. Do you wish to be saved from Frederick and go with them to Brêgalagos' side of the island or ... what?

Maeghin...looks like we've both been scratched up a bit yet both will live to fight another day.

Faen...what's going on at Brêg's? Your designated "morale officer" is speaking....on your feet, everyone. There's a battle to be fought and won.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2004 07:35
Twenty posts? Wow.. lol. I have to wait for Will's letter to Penny though.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: October 19, 2004 11:24
I think that Bel will end up accompanying Frederick and the others back to the ship. (I guess that the twins COULD also come along as they aren't as trusting as Bel and know of his naivety) The germans will be so impressed with Bel's abilities (Eventually) that they'l try to take him onboard. As to the twins; perhaps we'll have a somewhat friendly encounter while Frederick weighs out what to do next. I can see the twins helping Bel feed the Germans but staying cautious. bel's main motivation is that he just wants to do something useful with his craft. I'll try to make Frederick's posteither tonight before I go to work, or in the morning when I return, with the post finishing just before the arrival of the twins.
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 11:43
At Brêg's place? hahaha.... Let's see.... Mae is due to repost Will's reaction to Mír's mention of 'the war'.

I'm not sure if you want to go forward with reposting the old posts, Mae.... But I read your post that is set to come next and it actually would fit in perfectly as Will and Mír end up hearing that 'gunshot' and going to investigtate.... Lemme know if you want to change that, and I'll go ahead and write another post.

It's all looking absolutely great! And, thanks, MO Bereth.... I needed that swift kick to get me into gear!
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 02:59
Aha! It is posted, sorry for the delay. I guess with Karl Van Psycho running amuck, I almost forgot it was my turn to post again :blush:

On another note, wouldn't it be interesting if Mir and Will were to come across Karl? Hehehe, I just love my German character, he can twist the plot in so many ways :evil: What I was getting at, is that the Elves will see that Mir is gone, but the Americans will also know that Will is gone missing as well... Though Mir and Will can flee and not be caught, they just can't get back just yet... Anyhow, that would give some more tension between the Americans and the Elves, that is, until they find out that the Germans are on the island as well, then we could go from there, just don't let Nori kill anyone

As for Will and Mir, perhaps one of them is injured and my third character (the half-Uruk) finds them and takes them to her island to heal? Though it should probably be Mir that is injured as Elves do heal faster than humans. Mayhap she is just knocked out? And then, Will would have no choice but to trust my other character. (Haven't found a name yet... what would 'born of the Earth' be in sindarin?)

Anyhow, let me know what you think, I'm kinda tired right now :sleepy: , so I'm probably rambling... but there may be a usable idea or two in here somewhere.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email