Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Jewel of Valinor
on: August 08, 2005 10:45
=_= I think we've got some kind of summer slug disease...is our thread one of only a few that've got it?

At any rate I hope we'll be back sometime soon. (I would post something, but I can't think of anything that wouldn't be repetitive...-_-)
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 09, 2005 03:31
(( A number of threads I'm in have slowed down alot.. because some people go away, or can't access the net, or anything like that. ... I think that we'll managed to keep this one going though.... live live live live live!! ))
Macilie~Undomiel
Númenor Obsessed
Send Message
on: August 09, 2005 03:38
(*big sigh of relief* sorry guys, but I just moved into my new college and I've been busy! I just got internet access today...so here I am!)

Macilie also gave her own sigh of relief and sat down for a moment to rub her ankle. It wasn't pain she couldn't deal with, but it was not pain she liked in any way. She looked up at Rowan and shrugged nonchalantly. "I would like to enjoy the fresh air for a few moments actually," she smiled and looked at the group questioningly.

(I really hate short posts...but I really don't know what else to say)
LarienLindorenan
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2005 03:03
(OOC: I apologize greatly for neglecting this thread. Nobody is a curse, it's actually a cool thread. I agree that it is the summer. Here's my post. I really hope it sparks creativity in somebody. I'm going to be a bit bold here.)

(IC)

Almarea was silent throughout the trip through Moria. She never liked the darkness, not a single bit. The darkness reminded her of the darkening of Valinor, another one of her terrible memories.

She was reluctant to lay down the first night. She wrapped herself in her blanket and cloak and pressed herself against the wall of the cave, away from her new companions. She did not sleep at all in the night. She simply lay in the dark, staring up at the blackness. Her heart pounded and she sweat profusely but dared not remove the blankets.

When the group rose to travel again, Almarea felt emotionally and physically tired despite the many ears she had traveled less rest. She felt cold and wrapped an extra cloak around her. She walked a ways behind her companions, trembling and looking around nervously.

Had a light been shone on her, she would have been abnormally pale and sheeny from sweat. She felt cold and yet she sweat as well. She generally avoided dark enclosed spaces for this was how she always felt traveling in such conditions. She said nothing to her companions however.

The second night, she did fall asleep but not peacefully. She awoke in her dreams to find herself in a burning city at night.

...About her was angry red fires and shadows that seemed to want to jump from between the flames and smother her. She ran. Around her elves died and white stones were stained with blood.

I am in Gondolin She thought with a jolt.

This was the falling of Gondolin. She had been there. It was a memory she tried to forget but it was there. Out of the corner of her eye, she caught a glimpse of golden hair. How could she have lived there and not remembered Glorfindel?

She felt herself drop to her knees and close her eyes. When she opened them again, she was in total darkness. Stunned, she realized she was in Idril's passage out of the city. She was not the only one there. Women and children were crying around her. All was chaos in the tunnel. Darkness was pressing in on all sides.

In a whirl, she was out of the tunnel and faced with orcs, dragons and...a black fire, burning with all the evil of Morgoth. A balrog! Before the Balrog was an elf with golden hair, who at the time of his death, she had not known the identity of. Now she knew who it was. It was Glorfindel...

Almarea woke up trembling and crying but making not a sound. She hardly noticed when the group began to move again. As they traveled toward the exit. She was lost in her mind, traveling down Idril's tunnel again.

When they came out into the sunlight, it was as though she were watching from somewhere outside herself. She heard Rowan exclaim how much he had missed being outside in the sun and fresh air and half her mind agreed with him while the other half was lost in thought. She was split in two.

It was something that had happened to her before. She had many memories that she had lost only to recover them in nightmares. It was unusual for an elda yet she suffered from it. For many hours after she would be torn in two, trying to fight her way back to reality.

She heard Macilie say she would like to rest and enjoy the fresh air and the other half of her realized that she was out of the darkness. She did not know what came over her but she fell down on the grass, trembling, weeping and sweating at the same time.
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2005 01:37
Sorry I was away for so long...I do this every year! I think I'm going to have more time to post and go online over the summer, but instead I'm busier than ever and stuck without internet. I believe by at least next Wednesday or Thursday I shall have my high-speed internet restored to me (*does a fast Hawaiian hula*), and meanwhile I am swamped with doing my summer reading hw (Jane Eyre) last minute...at any rate , Macilie, good luck in college! and Larien, your long post is very cool !!

I'm catching up and will be brainstorming a post sometime soon...(my school is getting rebuilt and half of it is literally demolished... I pray tht has no effect on how fast they can get the internet up lol )
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2005 09:56
((Hiiiiii! I would post some reply for Glorfindel…but I have writer’s block…I can’t think of anything intelligent for him to say or do =_= Anyway here is a post for Alcar…This might be a bit dramatic, but I think it might help move things along…I think is now is about the time that Watcher is coming in?))

The first night out of the caves of Moria was the first that Alcarinque was able to sleep without waking up intermittently. The feeling of having miles of stone around her had seemed to clog her senses, making her feel dull. Once out, the fresh air, the grass, and the moonlight were enough to revive her reasonably well. All throughout their evening meal as they sat around the low-burning fire and the others talked quietly, Alcarinque was silent. Her mind was elsewhere, yet at the same time it was nowhere at all. When Macilie nudged her gently to remind her that it was time to get some sleep, she had no idea what she had been thinking about. She blinked and looked up to see Nimaethor, a ghost of a smile flitting across his face before he turned and disappeared into the darkness among the tress. Her last memory was of staring up at the slivers at moon that filtered through the leaves, and then she had drifted to the strange shores of her dreams. She was lying in some cool place, feeling something incredibly smooth against her skin. This must be the usual dream, she thought. A cool hand, the bright light. Then it would be over, and she would awaken to find herself back in the real world. But instead, the cool hand tapped at her impatiently. Irritably she opened her eyes…the first time she had ever done so in this dream. Before her was the source of the light she had always seen. A feminine form, seemingly draped in grey and white. She could not see her face, but something in the voice that spoke told her she was smiling.
You have traveled far already…but your journey has only just begun. The path continues before you, my child. You will meet soon with a guide…though if you opened your eyes fully, unlocked your memories, you would find that the guide is but a guide – one that will only show you the way.”
The voice spoke, but when she had ended, it’s echo never seemed to end, and soon Alcarinque began to think she had never been present when it had begun…

((Alrighty, that’s all I can be creative with for now…if things get real desperate, I shall start pmming people…))
Macilie~Undomiel
Númenor Obsessed
Send Message
on: September 15, 2005 12:43
Macilie sighed and chewed on her food silently. She was just as quiet as Alcar, though unlike her friend she was listening to the quiet conversations nearby her. It was nice to feel the fresh air, she thought to herself, agreeing to something someone else said. The conversation continued and Macilie finally drifted into her own thoughts.

She had hated Moria, perhaps more than she hated fighting. Caves were deep, dark, evil places that Macilie would avoid at almost any cost. Had she been by herself on this trek, she would rather travel for days outside in the cold than the darkness of Moria. Sighing, she looked over at Alcar and nudged her, reminding her it was probably best to go to sleep. Her friend nodded and Macilie looked at her strangely, but said nothing. She as well wished to go to sleep, especially since she knew her ankle would be fully healed by morning. Wrapping her cloak around her slim frame, Macilie fell to a deep sleep, enjoying the nature around her.
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2005 02:15
((Hiiiiii! I would post some reply for Glorfindel…but I have writer’s block…I can’t think of anything intelligent for him to say or do =_= Anyway here is a post for Alcar…This might be a bit dramatic, but I think it might help move things along…I think is now is about the time that Watcher is coming in?))

(occ: And your wish is my command! I feel I owe you all a VERY big apology for my VERY extended absence. Many thanks also from keeping Glorfindel Ingold going, I afraid that you had phased him out, and just to clear up a few points, Glorfindel has got DARK blonde hair, almost a mousey brown, just throught I'd clear up a little question! Also, I'll try to fit back in, but if there is a problem with one of my posts I will of course edit it straight away. And finally, nice to see you all again! Now I gather that we have just camped on the first night out of Moria so without further ado, here I go!)

The night was deep and cool, almost like the great caverns of Moria, except that no jewelsmith of the dwarves could ever hope to match the raidiant brilliance of the star that glistened overhead. So brilliant, so true, they stirred up deep feelings of....of......memory. Memory, now there was something he could do without. For most memories were something to delight in recalling, even those whose lives were torched in some way could recall at least moment of pure happiness. For Glorfindel were none.

Since the group had left Moria he had been quiet, speaking only when spoken to, otherwise travelling in silence, every now and again stealing a glance at Almarea.

(Ok, from here, and reading past posts I have an idea for Glofindel. I gather that so far the group imagines him to be none other than Lord Glorfindel of the Golden Flower, that renowned hero who fought with the Balrog, to buy Tuor and the Gondolin survivors some time as they fled the siege. Now of course he fell to his death, and LarienLindorenan I gather that Almarea has trouble recalling him from the battle. What I propose is that what if he is not actually Glorfindel of the Golden Flower, but a pretender, someone who has assumed the identity of that particular individual for reasons that, well, read the following flash back and see what you think.)

Seated on the edge of the group, outside of the circle of firelight, not looking or speaking to the others. His eyes were trained upwards to the blazing heaven of stars, and slowly, very slowly he sank deep into memory.

The chamber was dark and quiet, outside the window the night air was quiet, the sound the peaceful sound of the sea washing calmly againist the base of cliffs below. A faint breeze stirred the drapes, which rustled slightly then fell back into place.
Decorations, grand and proud were just visible in the flickering light of the firelight in the grate, but they were strangley distorted into grosteque forms by a combination of the lowering shadows and the distorted light. In the middle of the chamber was a large hearth rug, laid before the great fireplace, and on which was positioned a large oasken table and two large, highbacked chairs. The table was was almost completely covered in an odd assortment of strange maps and parchments, but there was also a silver platter and an empty goblet, the remains of an evening meal.
And in one of the highbacked chairs sat an elf. He was of a strong and powerful build, a mane of dark hair cascaded down to his shoulders, and his piercing blue eyes were fixed on the fireplace. His face pocessed fine chiselled features and was set in an expression of intesne concerntration. About his forehead he wore a circlet of silver, entwined in vine trace and being fruits of pure white gems, which blazed brightly in the half gloom.
He neither moved nor stirred, just stared straight into the fire. Neither did he move or stir when the sound of hurrying feet broke the silence of the chamber. The steps grew louder and louder, until finally the door at the other end of the chamber swung open and a grey cloaked figure strode in, his hood up so his features were lost to darkness. His attire was simple, only green and brown, and it was clear that he had been travelling, for both these, his boots and his cloak were were scuffed with dust and dried mud.
Still the figure in the chair made no move or sign to acknowledge this new arrival, until the figure had reached the centre of the room and stood about ten feet from the back of his chair.

"You are late, Glorfindel," his voice was low and yet it held some presence it which seemed to silence all other noises in the room, even the sea outside.

The cloaked figure bowed and pulled back his hood, "Pray pardon my lateness sire," he replied, his head still bowed, "There were affairs that commanded my attention."

"I guessed," the first continued, "What news from the front?"

Glorfindel, still bowed, answered, "Bad sire, Sauron's forces are gaining ground, forcing us further and further back, I fear that we will not be able to hold the line of the Lune. Elrond and Celeborn......"

"I am not interested in reports of Lords Elrond and Celeborn," the figure interupted, "We have recieved reports ere you came that they had been cut off by the second force, it matters not now, we must now look to their own affairs. Sit down Glorfindel."

"Thank you sire."

Glorfindel crossed the room obidently and took the other seat next to the fire. For a moment he cast his eyes over the wide assortment of papers that obscured the table in front of him, before he redirected his full attention back to the other. Still he had not shifted his gaze from the fire, nor had he looked at his companian since his arrival. Silence now hung again over the room, a deep and awkward silence. For a few minutes both sat like this, listoning to the crackle of the flames and the beating their own hearts. Until the first broke the verbal statement.

"Are you going to say it then?"

Glorfindel started guiltitly out of his own thoughts, "I'm....I beg.....I'm sorry sire, I don't quite understand."

The first speaker drew a long, deep breath, pressed his forefingers together, before continuing, "Why did you ask to see me? Why have you left the front line? What need has pressed you to here?"

"Well sire....it's.....I.....may I speak frankly sire," these last words came out in a torrent, little more than a gabbled mess, but Gil-galad smiled and nodded.

"Of couse Glorfindel, I always prefer it when you do," he added with a small smile.

"Sire, it is my elves, my soliders, they....they....they are losing their heart. It's this war, we are losing Gil-galad," and at this use of his name the other elf finally broke his gaze away from the fire, "The casulties, they are unacceptable, we are losing too many men and wasting too many resources. After we lost the line of Branduin they, they've lost the will to fight."

"That is indeed a great problem," the High King pondered, leaning foward onto the table, chin in hands, "What is your assessement of the troops' general moral?"

"Honestly, it's bad, very bad, they think the ends near," here Glorfindel paused, "And to be honest Gil-galad, so do I. Sauron's forces have us out numbered 2:1, we have no reserves, no reinforcements, Imladris is cut off, and Numenor...."

"We have been over this Lord Glorfindel," that was the signal that they were back in the realm of formality, "And I will not evacuate the havens and pullout, Sauron will enter Lindon over my dead body."

"But, sire, they have no fighting spirit left, no hope," Glorfindel insisted, he had to make Gil-galad see, "They....

"I think," Gil-galad's voice rose and echoed in the chamber, "That is time for the Balrog Slayer to deliver one of his famous speeches, to raise that moral back to what it should be."

"No, no," Glorfindel whispered, "Gil-galad, this is beyond a joke now. I am....

"A symbol of hope and energy for your people, a great and impressive warrior and leader, who....."

"NO! It's wrong, I am NOT Glorfindel of the Golden Flower, I NEVER went to Gondolin, I have never even FOUGHT a Balrog let alone bested one! There is...."

"If you could have seen how much you look like him, aside from your hair, I see your mother's Sindarian side came in there. But...."

"He was a cousin of my father's! So course I look like him, THAT'S WHY I WAS NAMED AFTER HIM! BUT YOU, IN SOME DELUDED SENSE SEEM TO THINK THAT I AM HIM!"

"Sit down," Gil-galad's voice was now hard and cold as steel, "Yes Glorfindel we have been over this before, and I will not repeat myself again. YES, you are an impressive leader, YES you are a good solider, but we need more than that these days. You said it yourself we are losing this war, and leaders and soliders are almost spent. We NEED a symbol, someone who can prove that the enemy can be hurt, and if the the people.....

"It's a lie though," Glorfindel's voice was almost distraught, "It's not right Gil, not right at all. Why should I get praise for the deeds of one great warrior just because I share his name and look a little bit like him?"

Gil-galad's expression softened as he looked at the elf opposite.

"I know it is hard, but please think here. You have seen how they react when they see you, how people look at you, they part for you in the street. I would even hazard that they at times pay more attention to you than to me. You give them hope Glorfindel, and like you said, that is exactly what we need now. Are you really willing to take that away from those wives and children who have to watch their husbands and father's go off to war, and just await their return? You and I have both been there, and you remember what is was like? To know that they may never return, but if there is a figure there, one who you KNOW can hurt the enemy, one who CAN make a difference? What if that one warrior can make sure your father or husband or brother, comes home, that they make it out alive?"

Placing his head in his hands, Glorfindel said nothing, but merely nodded very slowly in reply.

"Please don't take that away from them Glorfindel," Gil-galad continued, "Look, I know that you want to make your name, make your own way in the word, and of course I did promise to help you find the Elves with murdered your mother. However if there is no Lindon, no Elves, no Gil-galad how can you? How can you find them and......?"

"I understand," words so strained, so forced that they sounded almost bitter, came from Glorfindel's mouth, "I understand. Now if you'll excuse me sire, my page awaits me."

"Of course," Gil-galad looked slightly surprised by this sudden mention of depature, "Safe travels ."

"Thank you, sire," without looking up, Glorfindel bowed once more and crossed the room to his door. But here he paused and looked back.

"I wonder sire," he said, his jaw clenched, "If our positions were reversed what I would have said to you, if you were being compared to the likes of him," and he waved his hand towards the statue of Fingolfin on the wall above Gil-galad's head.

Gil-galad turned and spent a few moments staring at the statue, again not moving or speaking, until he finally turned back to Glorfindel.

"Who says I haven't?" he smiled grimly, and waved Glorfinde out of the room.

Once the door had clicked shut and the footsteps echoed away down the corridor he turned back to statue of his grand father.

"Who says I haven't?"

The memory was gone, and Glorfindel was back in the clearing of low woodland, eyes fixed upon the heavens. Lies, decit, his reputation, all were connected. There was nothing worse than pretending to be something you are not, and even worse when you have continued to do so, long after said event has passed.
Glorfindel found his gaze wondering, out accross the clearing, and finally his gaze fell on Almarea. Slowly he rose and made his way around to where she lay, and pausing a short distance away, he chanced to hail her.

"Almarea?"
Elessar_2
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 09:08
(OoC: OK, I got that PM. Don't worry, I have every intention of staying with this thread. It's just hard to RP with oneself. I may end up running off and meeting up with someone, just so I'm not alone. That,or if daedraugh *cough, cough* lol wan't to wake up from his nap...)

Lastamo picked up the clothes that she had hung out in the morning and brought them in. She was folding them when she heard a noise from the back. She smiled--it sounded like her guest was moving about again.
LarienLindorenan
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 02:41
(OMG. My apologies Alcar...)

(Loremaster, Almarea didn't have trouble remembering Glorfindel, she had trouble remembering the battle. I know elves are said toi have great memories but there is ths reflex in humans that causes us to sometimes forget our most traumatic experiences. Almarea's memory has blocked out certain scenes from her past that desturbed her most. She remembers being at Gondolin but she doesn't remember specific people from it.

For everyone else, just know that Almarea is not psycho. All the stuff that happened in the past greatly affected her and she has had no help in getting over it. She's deathly afraid of the dark.)

Almarea heard her name called as though from a distance. She was frozen through, shivering and sweating at the same time. The air outside was warm but it didn't touch her. She pulled her cloaks tight about her and sat still as stone, weeping.

She thought someone knelt beside her but she was not sure. She wanted to pull out of the darkness but she could not see the lgiht. It was like she was experiencing the darkness of the first age all over again.

Her eyes were glassy as her mind ran the dark, blood and tragedy before her again and again. Memories that she could not forget. Every night, she dreamed of these things but now she was seeing them in her waking hours. Years of Hell she had face.

How would she pull back from the darkness?

Almarea tried to shake herself. She couldn't let that happen. Hope was always to be found. Yet that black abyss was always before her and only her ability to find small hopes in each day kept her from falling over the edge on which she teetered.

"No..." she breathed.
featari_telcontar
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2005 12:10
[Sorry it took so long for me to arrive- many problems w/ computer, passwords, homework... Anyway, I'll try to post something intelligent!]

A short distance away from the entrance to Moria, a woman sat on her steed. The mare was very dark, and hard to see at night. She had no harness, no bridle, and no saddle. All she had was her rider- the woman whom she had been given to by Nienna. The mare didn't even have a name- she had never needed one. Whenever her rider needed her, she knew it. It was what she had been made for.

Her rider, on the other hand, had an unusual name- one that was impossible to guess if you didn't know it, and hard to forget if you did. Unfortunately, that was all she had. That, and a mission. A mission that she barely knew anything about.

The name of the woman was actually known only to her and the Valier. She was simply called the Watcher by others. She had been sent to Middle-earth to guide the party after the Jewel. Her mistress, Fui Nienna, had instructed her that when the time came, she would be given signs that would show her the way of the thieves. She would then show the way to the searchers, so that they would rescue the Jewel. If she succeeded, she would return to Valinor as a princess among elves and Maiar, and glory would be hers. She had not been told the consequences if she failed. In short, this was her last test.This was what she had left MIddle-earth for.

And now she was back. And ready to fufill her mission- and perhaps her destiny.

Go on, she thought to her mare, Go to them.
~~~~
About 30 minutes later, the Watcher was very near to the searchers. I think I shall let them find me, she thought, To test their abilities.

So she waited.

[Edited on 23/11/2005 by featari_telcontar]
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2005 02:28
Alcarinque woke with a start on the first morning after the group emerged from Moria. There was something cold on her cheek, and she felt wide awake. She sat up, wiping the drop of dew from her face. She sat for a few moments simply gazing up at the dark trees above. The dream she had had was still vivid in her mind. Who was the guide Nienna had sent? Were they man, elf, or beast? And what within her memory was she failing to remember? The group began to awaken gradually, and words were exchanged softly. Nimaethor brought her a skin of water, and she accepted it with a smile. "How did you sleep?" he asked, sitting beside her. "As well as possible, under the circumstances." she said with a wry smile. Alcarinque felt uneasy. She felt as though she could see a dark shadow out of the corner of her eye, but when she looked, she saw nothing. Something in her blood churned. She thought wistfully that having Arcuied with her would have been useful. The strange cat being sent her by her mother was most likely sleeping comfortably at Rivendell, as immovable as ever. A rustle moved through the leaves that was not the wind, and then the onslaught of crude daggers followed. It was all Alcarinque could do to draw her sword with a loud ringing noise and knock a few of them aside. "Bandits!" Glorfindel said softly. Alcarinque could see the rough outlines of the crudely camoflauged attackers, but the dark shadow in the corner of her eye remained...

(Um, um, that's ok, right? o_o featari, Arcuied can mysteriously appear along with Watcher if you want, coz they were sent by the same person...)
featari_telcontar
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2006 09:59
[OCC: Excellent! Yes, it would make sense for Alc to find the Watcher. Have at it!]

The Watcher waited by the camp. She could see that one of the searchers, a woman, could sense her. Blood calls to blood, after all. They served and loved the same mistress, and perhaps shared the same destiny. It is good that she can sense me, thought the Watcher. But can she find me? Loosening her knives and swords, the Watcher waited for her sister-in-service.

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email