Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
Post Child's Destiny
on: January 28, 2005 07:38
((Okay, this story has a beginning, but I am leaving it completely up to to writers who my characters are and where and what and why they are doing things. I will be playing Rachel and anyone else is free to enter as whoever they wish. Anyone is welcome, and me only rule is no 1-liners.))

The lights shone softly over the little seaside town. Faint songs of rejoicing could be heard off in the distance. In a hut near the outskirts of the village, the babe had been born. The long wait was over.

Rachel bent over her child, examining his tiny features. His intense blue eyes gazed calmly into her dark violet ones. Suddenly there was a loud knock on the door.
_cherbear_
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Child's Destiny
on: January 28, 2005 09:13
((Hi, Dolenaglar! I hope you don't mind if I join in! I am Adualphiel, a female ranger. I have a question- where is the setting of the story?))

"Where is he!? Where is he!?" Adualphiel exclaimed as she pushed her way through the room towards Rachel. Her big green eyes began to glisten with big watery tears as she gazed at the baby now resting in his mother's arms. He was so tiny, so beautiful, so perfect. She remembered the date and a concerned look crossed her face. March 25- the anniversary of the fall of Sauron. Oh, she was not going to let something so trivial ruin the moment she found herself in. Adualphiel smiled at Rachel as she sat down next to her friend on the bed.

"Oh, Rach, he's lovely...just lovely." She looked into Rachel's eyes and saw the fear that rested behind them and knew exactly what she was thinking. Just as she was about to congratulate her friend once more, the door swung open fiercly and was followed by a loud scream...
Stridlas
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2005 02:51
((Hiya, I think this sound exciting.))
Elana had swung open the door. She was about to enter to but, something had grbbed at her head making her scream loudly. She swirled around and saw a couple of orcs running down the road. She drew her bow and quickly shot them both dead."Thank you Redjet." She said to her raven as she entered. Redjet stayed perched on the roof. Elana had said thank you because she knew that what had grabed at her head had been the bird, warning her of the orcs so she wouldn't get another arrow in her arm. She was going to fix it but first she had to congradulate her old friend. "Congradulations Rachel, what is his name." Elana asked as she sat on a stool next to Rachel's bed.
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2005 06:34
((Welcome Adualphial and Elana. I hnave not yet decided on the setting, just near the sea. If you wish to add the name of the location, it's up to you. I'm trying to let everyone have as much say in the story as me.))

Ignoring Elana's question, Rachel glanced fearfully around the room. "Are they here already?" She stood frozen for a moment, then suddenly luched out of her seat and began to shove some belongings into a bag. It was apparent by the way her hands shook how much she was frightened.

Her eyes looked pleading at her friend's, begging for help. "Are we surrounded yet?" she asked, clutching the whimpering baby to her breast.
_cherbear_
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2005 03:36
Adualphiel rose from the bed and inched her way towards the window. Peeping outside, she saw a band of orcs slowly making their way around the front of the hut. Adualphiel moved away from the window and began to help Rachel pack. "Rachel, we must make haste- out the back. That is our only chance." She grabbed the overstuffed bag and proceeded to the kitchen where she picked up some loaves of bread and placed them in a seperate bag. It wasn't much, but it was something to get them going. She met up with Rachel and they slowly made their way out the back. "Rachel, I apologize for being such a nagging commander, but we must make haste." She must still be sore from the labor, Addy, be kind she said to herself. Addy closed the back door quietly and just as she turned to leave, she heard a loud bang and knew that the orcs had made their way inside. She no longer tried to keep quiet. "RUN, Rachel!" She ran and caught up with Rachel and helped her move more quickly.

They continued to run for what seemed like forever. Being a ranger helped right now, because Adualphiel knew the forest like the back of her hand. She grew up wandering these woods and so with the privilege of the moonlight fading and the thickness of the trees increasing, Adualphiel could still lead Rachel and the baby. The festivities could no longer be heard in the distance. from the moon. They finally slowed down. Adualphiel turned and looked back to make sure that no one was following them. Hearing footsteps she stopped the party and listened more intently. Just then someone walked out from behind a tree. Adualphiel froze. "Who goes there?"
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2005 08:15
Rachel stood fearfully in the shadows, listening to the exchange. At the second metion of orcs, the looked half fearfully around. The baby, sensing something from her, begain to scream piteously. Rachel blanched so she looked not so much among the living, and frantically tried to calm him. Nothing would work. Soon there was another rustling in the trees.
Stridlas
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2005 11:22
Elana had not followed her firends right away, she tried to hold off the orcs as long as possible but, she was quickly being surpressed. At the edge of the wood she killed as many as she could hiding in the trees. There was a lot of them.She was sure it was safe to now retreat, she would n't be seen and she could find them. As she aproached, hidden from every one, someone else did too.She walked right in front of them "Shh.We have to go,the orcs have defiantly reached the edge of the forest, I tried to hold them off but, there were too many of them." Elana was sure that if they stayed here much longer, they would not be able to escape."Need for a rush."
the_second_twin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2005 12:54
((Hope you don't mind if I join! Tehran is half elf and half man, but he was raised by elves.))
Tehran ran through the forest with swift speed. He didn't usually run from an enemy, but he had just enough common sense to know this was not a danger he could fight alone. He planned to get to the next village, about a three days hike away, as soon as he could to warn them of the oncoming orcs.
As he ran, he whistled loudly for his stallion, Gaeron, who he had left in the forest when he had attempted to evaluate how large the orc army was. He saw a glimpse of something moving to the right of him. He ran to it, thinking it was Gaeron, but instead ran right into a group of three women.
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2005 07:40
A fair man burst out of the trees, staring in surprise at the three women. Rachel clapped a hand over the babe's mouth to stifle the crying. She knew it was unhealthy, but less unhealthy than being seen. Gently lifting her hand back off the mouth, she raised the child to feed in the hopes it would not start cyring again. It worked, and she tried to melt into the shadows and let her friends deal with the intruder. Much more was at stake if the babe died than a few lives. This, at least, she knew.

((Just to let you guys know, I will be here tomorrow (Thursday) morning, and then you will not hear from me again until late Saturday or Sunday, as I will be out of town. By all means, please post as much as you wish in my absence)).

[Edited on 2/3/2005 by Dolenaglar]
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2005 03:18
((Hope you don't mind me joining. I'm new at this... My character is an ork named Grak. So, if you don't want me around just kill me off. If, however, you think it might be interesting to have an enemy character... :evil: ))

Grak and his band of orcs had been hunting for the pregnant human woman for days. They finally tortured the right person, a most delightful activity to be sure. As a reward for the man's betrayal, they killed his family before beheading him. His divulgence led the orcs to a little town by the sea. When they reached the town, a rather tall woman who was very skilled with a bow killed Grak's two scouts. Grak had sent them ahead because they were idiots and Grak wanted to see if there would be any trouble. Guess he found out.

The orc band moved in slowly and found the hut easy enough, but as they entered, they found that their prey was already on the move. "RUN, Rachel!" Fools. Grak followed the voice and found the place where the baby had lain. Grak grabbed a cloth that had been used to clean the thing just before he sent out his best fighters to follow them. He knew the cloth would be handy later if he needed wargs to hunt, but wargs would be a last resort. He needed the baby alive - at least at first.

Grak could hear from outside the hut many of his most dreadful orcs were being killed. So Grak retreated. He is not a coward, but orcs with a leader are bad enough - without a leader they would kill each other. Obviously, his plan to overtake the woman and the baby with sheer numbers didn't work. She had friends, and one of them, as Grak observed out the window, seemed to be a very skilled elf with a raven. That raven might prove just as troublesome as his elf-friend was.

Grak needed a plan. He decided to send most of his band ahead to another town to make it seem as if they were off the trail. Then he hand-picked two of his best trackers and the three terrible orcs set off to follow the woman and her friends.
Stridlas
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2005 10:14
((Hi, I think it would be cool. Welcome peonyfoxburr. Welcome the_second_twin))

Elana looked at the intruder. She did not like the look of him but, he may prove useful, as sacrifice if nothing else. She was just begining to think this as Redjet swooped in almost decapittating the intruder on the spot,"Redjet, Why?" Elana laughed at the bird, good thing the fair faced man had enough sense to duck uner Redjet.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2005 02:49
(Suilad! I hope you have a place for one more man! Look him up in the DB.)

Now this was strange, Naurind thought as he examined the heavy footprints on the soft ground. What would a group of orcs be doing so far from any hills?
The young soldier mounted his grey mare and urged her along the track. Soon a village came into the view. Worried people were running around, weapons in their hands. Naurind's eyes noted two orcs laying on the ground by a small house. The young soldier partly drew his sword, but none of the foul creatures seemed to be near. Teh villagers noticed him but recognized the armour of Minas Tirith and hurried towards him.
Suddenly he jumped as somebody grasped his hand. An old man with a scar across his forehead was staring in Naurind's dark grey eyes:
"Find her! You must find her before the orcs! And the baby, save him! Whatever the cost!"
Naurind stared at the man.
"I am sorry, but I have my duties and..."
"No, you don't understand. The baby MUST survive!"
Naurind still was not persuaded.
"But I cannot stand alone against a whole group of orcs!"
"You won't be alone... Now go! She went that way. Hurry, boy!" there was something in the old man's eyes that made Naurind spur his mare into a gallop after that woman he even didn't know in face. He still was wondering about his strange actions when he neared the forest and made his mount halt, listening.
Silence.
Then there was a distant laugh. Naurind dismounted, threw the reigns over the mare's head and stepped in the darkness, his sword at ready. The horse would stand still untill he called her.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Stridlas
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2005 05:14
Now Elana was used to Redjet coming and going so she made no complaint when redjet left after attacking the intruder, who she was no asking,"What is your name and why are you here?" However, Redjet ussually never came back less then five minutes after he leaves so when Redjet just landed on her shoulder, she was alittle worried. Redjet told her that there was a man in the woods. Redjet was unsure if he was friend or foe, Redjet reads auras and he had an arua that could be either. "Umm," She started to say, she was talking toRchel's other friend."You take care of him, I have to check something out. When you hae finished with him, take her two miles that way. You'll come upon a cabin. Go inside and wait there, it is safer there then anywhere else. Trust me, I know the importance of his and her safty." With that Elana Followed Redjet to the man he had found.
"Hello," Elana said from the shadows," Who are you and why have you entered this wood, there is a being here that is both protected and sacride, so if you are this being's foe, you'd be advised to leave now or face me and Redjet. If you are his friend, you will state your name and purpose."
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2005 11:43
Naurind barely could catch the real meaning of the strange words taht suddenly came out of the thickest shadows. He hadn't even known there was somebody at all!

"Eme... I... I am Naurind... a soldier from Minas Tirith. I am here to..." Why in Middle-Earth should he be telling now abut his purposes here? "Well, I came by and saw the village had been attacked by orks, and... An old man told me that somebody was in peril here, and... Is it you, mam? The one in peril. Do you need help?"

The young man's eyes pierced the shadows to notice a dark female frame in the wood, but he could not see anybody she called Redjet. Maybe that was a companion of hers that was hiding and redy to attack at any moment? Naurind half drew his sword, ready to face an attack if there came one.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2005 05:03
Rachel crouched down in the shadows, fearfully wondering why so many people were present and if they would be able to make an escape.

Every rustling held the threat of footstep, and capture.

Stridlas
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2005 10:36
"You are friend." Elana said. She stepped into the light and put her hands out in a gesture of peace."This is Redjet." Elana said, she noticed he looked a little perplexed."He is a Raven.He was unsure if you were Friend or foe by your Aura, he is not a normal Raven if you couldn't tell.Anyway I need you to come with me." Elana lead Naurind to where Rachel and friend awaited. They were still at the small clearing."You, Go!" Elana told the inturder,"Come back at a future date for you seem not to want to answer my questions. You come!" She Lead Rachels friend away as well as Naurind to were Rachel stood."Come Rachel. I know a place we can stay for tonight. He is friend, for now." Elana said to Rachel's glance at the newcomer.
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2005 06:30
((I just put Grak in the character database. He's not really that developed yet though...))

Grak was quite a distance away, and couldn't hear what was being said, but he could see the two women and a man in the clearing and the woman with the raven was talking to another man. Grak and his two trackers, Kurbag and Sorg, could not get too close with that raven nearby.

After a few minutes talking with the man, the tall woman walked to the man first and he walked away from the rest of them. The rest of the group started walking away from the clearing. Sorg wanted to follow at first, Grak stopped him. The one who was walking away might be useful. He sent Sorg after him to get as much information as possible before killing him. He would make a good evening meal.

Grak and Kurbag set off to follow the group. He hoped they would stop soon to rest. He also began wondering which of his trackers was more expendable. Whichever it was, he had a special task for that one soon...

[Edited on 17/3/2005 by peonyfoxburr]
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2005 06:01
((Just so you know Dolenaglar gave me permission to do this with her character while she is away to move the story along, and I pretty much told her all that I am putting in this post save the details.))

Grak and Kurbag followed the group to a shabby looking cabin. It seemed to have been abandoned for a while. Grak knew that they would post a watch so he still maintained his distance. However, as they slept inside, some evil voice entered his mind and he began to chant a dark verse. He had never before heard this verse, but knew it's spirit well. He heard a thud from inside the cabin and knew that whoever had been keeping watch, was no longer aware of the waking world.

He whispered the order to move forward. He still wanted to be cautious. Just then, he stopped suddenly moving back behind a tree. A woman was coming out the door! How could her heart have resisted the sleeping verse? Grak thought to himself in disgust, She must have been protected by the innocence of the baby she held.

The baby was crying softly and she must have come outside to not wake the others. Grak smirked as he mused that with the encantation on them, she and the baby could have been screaming and they would not have disturbed the others. That fact may now prove useful...

Grak was not sure if Kurbag was the more expendable one, but Sorg had not yet come back so he was the more available one. "Kurbag, go. Bring her to me." Kurbag went and to Grak's surprise came back easily with the woman. He had knocked her unconcious.

Grak reprimanded his stupid insubordinate for putting the baby in harm, but Grak looked at the woman, shocked, as he saw that her arms still protected the baby even in her unconcious state. Grak had heard of the old prophecies that the mother's heart would always be bound to the child, but hopefully this ceremony would rip that away.

Grak called on the same spirit that had given him the verse before and Kurbag looked on in dread and delight as Grak began the ritual. Grak took the side-knife he carried with him and plunged it into the woman's side. She did not move. The blood that spilled on the ground was left there, but he stuck his finger in her side and with the blood that was on his finger, Grak annointed the baby boy. As Grak looked into the prophecied child's eyes with his mother's blood smeared above them. He said, "This had better work." Looking up at Kurbag who was grinning impatiently, not realizing what he had just witnessed, Grak said, "Take her and the child back and lay her where you found her."

"What?! I'm hungry. I know we can't eat the little one, but what about her?"

"No! It has to be this way. He needs her milk for a few more days! Then we will be free of her and so will he ..." Grak looked around and thought he had heard a noise, but dismissed it as he ordered Kurbag again to take her back. Grak really just wanted Kurbag to be his distraction. As Kurbag dragged the woman off, Grak slowly back-tracked through the forest so that he would not be discovered. Then as he heard that the sleeping verse had worn off and poor stupid Kurbag was being slain, he began to run, and nearly ran right into Sorg.

Sorg was also running . (Apparantly, he had heard the noise too.) He had blood all over his face indicating that he had found Tehran the halfelven. Grak decided to ask him how the interrogation had went later...

[Edited on 18/3/2005 by peonyfoxburr]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2005 09:30
The strange verse slowly faded away, and the dizzied Naurind was recovering his senses. He realized he was sitting on ground, his sword fallen out of his hand and right beside it.

A hiss, a snap, something breaking... Naurind's head was so heavy! For a moment he stared at the scene before his eyes, not really understanding...

Then it came to him! An orc was in the cabin, killing its inhabitants! With a deep growl of anger the young soldier grasped his sword and pulled himselt to his feet. The orc seemed startled as it prepared to parry the blow of Naurind's sword. The weapons clashed, then again. Naurind made a step forward, forcing his opponent to lift his weapon, leaving his defences open. A strong blow in the orc's stomack, and the creature lost its breath for a moment. That was all Naurind needed. He brought his blade down on the orc's shoulder making a deep cut, then finished him by cutting off his head.

A quick glane around. The mother and the baby were not there! Terrified, Naurind hurried outside. There she was, pale as the death itself, the crying baby stil in her arms. Naurind looked around for more enemies, but there was none. He kneeled beside the unconscious woman. Naurind was at a loss. The baby was crying, and he had no idea whatsoever what to do with the kid. The baby's face was marked with blood. Naurind froze. Blood! Where in the... Then he noticed that the woman was bleeding.

"Oh my!" he exclaimed. She had to be bandaged. And the baby... It was quite a difficult task to get the screaming bundle out of his mother's arms. Naurind carefully put the baby down, but the tiny thing was weaping so heartily that he just couldn't leave him like that. The baby founf his place in Naurind's lap where it seemed to calm down, leaving the young soldier to the difficult task of trying to figure out how to bandage the wounded woman.
In the Realm of Ulmo
Stridlas
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2005 10:45
"Hey, wht is going on?" Elana looked at Redjet."Redjet, What happened?" She asked the Raven. In the raven's tounge Redjet said,"Urikai, This way," And Redjet flew out the door."I'll be back." Elana shouted as she followed the Raven. The bird apparently had not been affected by the enchantment. Elana Followed the bird with her sword in hand, she had the shealth around her waist."Redjet," She called growing weary."We'll find them later, come on." Elana said and they wentback to the cabin. When she entered, Rachel had been bandaged up and they were ready to go."We have to leave As soon as possible, can she walk do you think? If she can't I'll call Ella. If she can we need to go now." Here Elana started Speaking to redjet in her tounge,"You need to follow the orcs, go I know you'll get there faster then me, when you find stuff out, let me know. Don't woory about us, we'll protect her. Oh, and don't get caught you hear?" Redjet went. "We now have a spy."Elana smiled. hoping they man would understand what she meant.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2005 12:42
Naurind shook his head.

"No, she can't walk. Not in this condition," he looked at the pale woman he had just carefully put in the shabby bed. He was holding the baby, though he felt awkwardly enough. He had no idea how exactly to hold the tiny thing! So small, so fragile... So easy to damage... He moistered his sleeve in water that was already red with Rachel's blood and cleaned the baby's face.

"There. Now you look much bette," Naurind smiled at the child. Then he looked up at the woman speaking to her raven using strange sounds. It really looked like she and the bird understood each other.

"A spy? Where? ... Oh, you mean - you sent him after the attackers?"

She nodded. Naurind looked again at Rachel.

"Please, do call for Ella. We must take her away. I'll call my own horse," he stood up. Looking at the bundle in his arms, he asked Elana:
"Can you please hold him?" then handed the baby over to her without even waiting for her reply. The young soldier exited the cabin and whistled, listened to the sounds of the forest, and whistled again. Soon there was a rustling sound in the bushes, and his gray mare stepped in the clearing. She seemed happy to meet her master again. Then he returned to the cabin.
"Elana, do you know a place we could take her? A safe place, and with healing houses. I would prefer to take her to Minas Tirith, but it is too far away and I'm afraid she won't make it."
In the Realm of Ulmo
Timpenin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 18, 2005 07:39
((Hello! Hope you don't mind another character, though should you, she's a traveler anyway and can easily pass right on by. Lessien's in the DB but, basically, she's a young, Rohirric minstrel. Last time the time was mentioned, it seemed like it was getting on toward night, so I hope I got it right!))

She really should have stopped at the last good campsite she found, or any of the twelve before that, but somehow...it had to be the night, Lessien decided, it was too beautiful to sleep through. So she hadn't. Besides, Emerwen was doing more work than she was, traveling off the road as they were, and she wasn't complaining yet. It truly was beautiful tonight, clear and crisp, the faint smell of the sea tickling her nose, and the stars and moon overhead bright, unveiled. It was quiet too; Lessien, normally prone to singing softly wherever she was, had stopped hours before, lulled by the softness that seemed to settle around everything, even Emmy's hooves as they hit the ground.

Minutes crept by as Lessien slowly became aware that the silence was not as perfect as it had been before; somewhere, voices rose and fell--a woman's, one man, maybe two. A raven cawed. She nudged Emmy to a faster walk, listening closely as they drew closer to the sound of the voices.

"....spy." the woman said in tones of satisfaction.

"Please....Ella....call my...." The man said just a few sconds later. Lessien paused, briefly, wondering if she should continue. She was already much closer, now able to hear almost every word.

"Elana, do you know a place...take her? .....place, and with healing houses. I would prefer....Minas Tirith, but it is too far away and I'm afraid she won't make it."

Whatever it was, it was no business of hers and Lessien almost turned Emerwen around. No, she told herself, You can't just leave, there must be someone hurt badly and you'd leave them? You're Lessien Tasartir of Rohan, not a coward! She kneed Emmy forward, into a small clearing. An old cabin stood in the middle and light pouring out the open door despite the hour, showing up the gray mare standing off to one side. As she rode up, twigs cracking under Emmy's hooves, a woman and a man came quickly out the door, the man holding a sword covered in black blood. Orc blood! What are such as they doing here? Lessien wondered what in all the heavens could have happened to these people as the woman's voice broke into her rushing thoughts.

"Who are you? What do you want with us?" The man raised his sword.

She stopped Emmy a few yards away, holding her arms out from her body to show she meant no harm. "I simply heard voices, friend, I came to see if all was well," she said formally, unsure of how to proceed. "Is there any way that I can be of service?"
Yavannildi and proud!
Rochellon
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2005 02:30
OOC: Hello! I'm also bringing in another character... Hope I'm allowed to. He is in the DB.

"It must be here", Gil-Taur thought, "but I can't see any danger! Well, let's look a bit closer!"

He had made his black horse Gwaeroch gallopping in this direction for hours now, feeling that someone was in terrible danger around here. Riding through the wood, he migth have been a frightening view: A dark shadow in a dark wood. But anyone who saw his face could not be mistaken: A high-elf, young in the terms of his people, fair skinned and dark haired.

Gil-Taur dismounted at the edge of the wood and crept over towards the cabin, his hand at his sword's hilt, so that he could draw it out immediately if needed. Gwaeroch followed, his hooves making not even the tiniest noise, like his master's feet. When Gil-Taur looked round an edge, he saw a door. It was open! A man with a sword and a woman stood in the doorframe, in front of them stood a horse and mouted on it was a young woman. Both horse and rider where obviously from Rohan, and the man with the sword was wearing a gondorian armour. "This looks strange", he thought.

Stepping forward, Gil-Taur pushed back his grey-green elven cloak, uncovering his armour, which gave a pale silvery shine even in the night.
"Mae govannen! I'm Gil-Taur of Rivendell. I can feel someone is in danger around here, so I've come as fast as possible. What's going on?" he asked.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2005 09:35
[OOC: it is up to Dolenaglar to decide, but I don't think she'll object ]

Naurind jumped as cracking twigs advised him about an approaching somebody. He quicky drew his sword that still wasn't cleaned of the orc blood. Whoever the stranger was, the soldier was prepared to face the possibe attack.

A rider appeared from the darkness. It was a girl, who held her hands up with their palms towards him as if trying to convince him that she meant no threat.

"Who are you? What do you want with us?" Elaina asked, tense.

"I simply heard voices, friend, I came to see if all was well," she said formally, unsure of how to proceed. "Is there any way that I can be of service?"

Naurind was about to refuse any service she could possibly offer when he jumped around at another voice comig from behind. He hadn't eve heard the man approaching!

No, it was an elf, or so it seemed... Naurind had only once really seen an elf, and that was from afar....

"Mae govannen! I'm Gil-Taur of Rivendell. I can feel someone is in danger around here, so I've come as fast as possible. What's going on?" he asked.

Naurind was not quick to trust strangers, especially after the recent events. He was not sure which was the moment he had taken it to be his duty to protect the woman and her child, but it was the reality now.

"I suggest you both better find some proof that you are to be trusted, otherwise...." he didn't finish. A soft painful moan came from Rachel, and Naurind rushed to her side. It took one glance to know she was getting worse.

"All right, does anybody of you know a safe place where a wounded woman can be healed?" he asked the two newcomers.
"She won't last long," Naurind explained to Elaina, who had a worried look on her face.
In the Realm of Ulmo
Timpenin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 20, 2005 07:36
((What time period would this be set in? 3rd Age, 4th?))

The two in the door were obviously suspicious. Lessien really couldn't blame them. Suddenly, she started as an elf melted into the light beside her; she had seen elves many times in her travels but it never ceased to give her the shivers when one crept up silently like they always seemed to do.

The two in the door looked at each other, then quickly back at Lessien and...Gil-Taur she thought he had said his name was, as if afraid they would attack.

"I suggest you both better find some proof that you are to be trusted, otherwise...." The man's voice was low and menacing--his sword had not lowered a fraction--but he suddenly cut off at a moan from inside. He rushed inside and Lessien shifted her horse slightly under the disapproving glare of the woman until she could see through the door. She could not see much, except that a woman was lying down, but if there was a wound, Lessien could not see it from this angle nor through the man, who was bent over her.

The man turned with a sigh, "All right, do any of you know a safe place where a wounded woman can be healed?" He did not sound happy about asking their help, and neither did the woman by the worried look she gave him. "She won't last long," he explained and the woman nodded and relaxed--slightly.

"I have not traveled by the road tonight," Lessien replied, gesturing to the forest matter clinging to her clothing, "as I'm sure you can tell, but I know there is a village not too far ahead. That is what I planned to make by dawn."

"Seaside?" the woman asked and when Lessien nodded, shook her head, "that is where we have come from, I do not know if it is safe to return."

"The last village I stayed at is a long ways back, if she is as hurt as it seems, she will never make it. Unless....Gil-Taur?" Lessien turned her head to look at the elf. "I posses only rudimentary healing skills; I am sure you must have more knowledge of such things than I. Perhaps you might be able to keep this woman alive until we reach the village. Or do you know of anywhere closer?" She looked back at the two in the door. "I know you do not trust me, nor should you, but when we ride, Emmy can bear the woman inside. She is Rohirrim bred and will bear her more smoothly and surely than any other horse I know." They looked even more suspicious "Please! I will do my best to help her!" Lessien realized she had not even introduced herself, small wonder they did not trust someone who did not even trust them with her name! "Please," she repeated mroe softly, "my name is Lessien Tasartir and I am a simple minstrel from a small village in Rohan. I do not wish to cause any of you harm."
Yavannildi and proud!
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2005 08:02
((Question: Am I to understand that Adualphial has been killed off by my sub-character, Kurbag? Dolen had said that that would be okay since they haven't been on in a while...))

Grak and Sorg stopped running after a few minutes realizing they were not being followed. Grak was concerned at this and was hesitant to linger after all that had just happened. He thought quickly and realized that they must be too worried about the woman to follow him.

He decided to rest a minute then to ask Sorg about his inquiry of the half-elven snack he had just had. "Sorg, tell me everything the creature knew."

A look of fear flashed across Sorg's blood-stained face. "Uuuhhh... I told him to tell me what he knew of their plans and he said he had only just met them..."

From the way the tall woman had talked to the half-elf, Grak knew this was probably true, but he wasn't going to appear soft. Grabbing Sorg by the throat, he yelled, "You idiot! How long after those words fell from his mouth did you taste his flesh?"

"No! I told him I didn't believe him! He put up a fight. So, I fought with him and won. Then afterwards realized that I had dealt a death-blow... I most unfortunate accident. I felt that all that fresh meat shouldn't go to waste..."

Grak knew, for the most part, Sorg was making this bit up. Grak had figured the half-elf would put up a fight, but Sorg was a better tracker than he was a fighter. He probably shot him in the back with an arrow as he was running away.

Well, that did not help any except that his tracker was well fed and now had no reason to complain about the long night's journey ahead. They needed to keep watch over this thing until it's mother died at least. They needed to make sure she died...

Grak figured since they had not tried to follow him, they would try to get the child's mother to a safe place to be healed. Grak smirked as he thought to himself that it would not work. He had used his side-knife which was poisoned. The poison was special. It would slowly kill all but the special one - the prophesied child. However, the child would still need to nurse for the next few days or he would die. He will carry this poison from his mother's milk with him for the rest of his life and even Grak was unsure how it would effect him.

Deep in thought, Grak did not hear the noise above, but Sorg jumped and brought Grak out of his deep thought back to the present situation. "I heard something," Sorg whispered pointing up. Then, suddenly, Grak thought... the raven!
Rochellon
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2005 06:30
The man turned with a sigh, "All right, do any of you know a safe place where a wounded woman can be healed?" He did not sound happy about asking their help, and neither did the woman by the worried look she gave him. "She won't last long," he explained and the woman nodded and relaxed slightly.
"I have not traveled by the road tonight," the young woman replied, gesturing to the forest matter clinging to her clothing, "as I'm sure you can tell, but I know there is a village not too far ahead. That is what I planned to make by dawn."
"Seaside?" the other woman asked and when the rider nodded, shook her head, "that is where we have come from, I do not know if it is safe to return."

"I suppose it was an orcish attack", Gil-Taur thought as he noticed the black blood on the man's sword, "So she was hurt by orcs... even a poisoned blade perhaps - that would explain why she survived until now but her condition is still getting worse."

"The last village I stayed at is a long ways back, if she is as hurt as it seems, she will never make it. Unless....Gil-Taur?" The young woman turned her head to look at him. "I posses only rudimentary healing skills; I am sure you must have more knowledge of such things than I. Perhaps you might be able to keep this woman alive until we reach the village. Or do you know of anywhere closer?"

"I'm none of the great healers of my people, but I have had some education in healing", Gil-Taur replied, "Sadly I do not know any nearer village which is not at the seaside. But this is not the time for many words. I have got something with me that should help at least for some time."

The young woman looked back at the two who were standing in the doorframe. "I know you do not trust me, nor should you, but when we ride, Emmy can bear the woman inside. She is Rohirrim bred and will bear her more smoothly and surely than any other horse I know", she said. They looked even more suspicious. "Please! I will do my best to help her! Please," she repeated more softly, "my name is Lessien Tasartir and I am a simple minstrel from a small village in Rohan. I do not wish to cause any of you harm."

Stepping forward into the light which came from the doorframe, Gil-Taur took a tiny bottle, made of a silvery metal and covered in leather, out of a little bag which hung at his girdle.
"This is miruvor", he explained, "Elrond himself made it. It will not heal bad wounds, but it gives strength to the weak, warmth to those who feel cold and takes away pain and despair. Will you allow me to give her a little of it?"

Both the man and the woman did not seem to like the thought of allowing a stanger to give their wounded friend something to drink of which they had no evidence except his own words what it was.
"I also know that you should not trust everyone in a situation like this, but if your friend is hurt as badly as you say, one second may decide between life or death", Gil-Taur tried to convience them to let him in, "Please trust me!"
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2005 12:38
"Miruvor..." Naurind repeated looking at the liquid in the bottle. "I have heard of it, though I have never really seen one. Or tasted it." How coud he be sure it was what the elf claimed it to be? What if it was a poison?

But there was no room for doubt. Rachel's life was on stake. And Naurind decided to put his trust in the elf. He seemed reliable, and Naurind's father always said the one can tell from the first look at a person whether he or she is an honest one.

"Please," the young soldier stepped back to let the elf pass in. With a worried look he stood in the doorway, then motioned Elaina to follow the elf. Then he tirned towards the Rohir maid.

"I thank you for the offer, and I might just accept it. My own mare is a trustworthy mount, but I am not sure about her pace to be steady enough to bear a wounded person."
In the Realm of Ulmo
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2005 01:58
Sorg wheeled around petrified looking into the sky. He hated birds! They were so tricky... especially ravens. There didn't seem to be anything there... I was dark; he couldn't see any movement in the sky or hear anything, but that fact did not calm him. It only made him more paranoid.

There was a whisper from behind him, "Get down, you idiot!"

Sorg turned startled to see his commander Grak. "Oh. I thought you had abandoned me!"

"No. I didn't abandon you. You really need to learn when to duck. Do you see anything?"

"No... but I feel something." He shuddered under the threat of watchful eyes that he could not find. Sorg was a good tracker, but he also had great intuition.

Grak also knew that there was something watching them. Whether it was the raven or not, he couldn't tell, but whatever it was, it had passed or at least wasn't going to harm them - only watch. "Sorg, do you think you could still track them if the trail was a day or two cold?"

Sorg, thought for a moment. Then realizing what Grak was going to do, he said with a foolish grin, "Yes."

"Good. Let's make camp then... No fire. That wouldn't be very smart."

Sorg still smiling said, "No, not very smart at all."

Sorg and Grak made camp which didn't take very long considering that orcs don't require comfort. Then they lay down to sleep... no need for a watch tonight; they already had someone or something watching over them.
Timpenin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 23, 2005 06:20
When Lessien stepped through the door of the cabin, having dismounted and led Emerwen to the side of the house, the other three were already gathered around the injured woman, carefully easing her up just enough that Gil-Taur could pour a few small drops of miruvor into her mouth. As Lessien moved closer, she saw the huge gash in the woman's stomach, blood soaking the cloth around the wound, and a worrying slackness in the woman's limbs that spoke of near-unconciousness.

"Be careful," the man said, his voice tight with worry as Gil-Taur opened the woman's slack mouth.

"If the injury is not too serious, then this will only help her, and if it is too grave for even this to aid, well...." He trailed off into silence and concentrated on his patient.

The woman groaned feebly as she was laid down again, as the other woman, the one who's name Lessien realized in slight surprise that she did not know, stroked her throat until she swallowed the miruvor convulsively.

"How soon may we move her?" the man asked Gil-Taur

"Now. The sooner the better. Even miruvor will not hold off orc poison, if poison it is, forever."

"Shall I ready Emmy?" Lessien asked. "I can adjust the saddle a little to make it more comfortable for her, but she will still have to sit up. If you will trust me a little more, I can ride behind her; it will be better for her than being tied in the saddle."
Yavannildi and proud!
Rochellon
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2005 01:54
OOC: Timpenin, you have already done what would have been my next step... It's OK, but I'll re-write a little of it. I hope no-one minds if I include a bit of telling the newcomers what has happened (if you do: PM me).

Inside the cabin, Gil-Taur knelt next to the the wounded woman. The other woman who's name he also did not know carefully lifted her head so that he could open her mouth and give her a few drops of miruvor.
"This should give her enough strength to be carried to a better place. If not, well..." Although he did not finish the sentence, the meaning was very clear. Even the baby seemed to understand the danger his mother was in. It started to cry, not loud, but a sad whimper.

As soon as the injured woman had swallowed the miruvor, the other woman went over to the child, took him into her arms and tried to calm him.

"How soon may we move her?" the man asked Gil-Taur.
"Now. The sooner the better", he replied, "Even miruvor will not hold off orc poison, if poison it is, forever."

"Shall I ready Emmy?" Lessien asked. "I can adjust the saddle a little to make it more comfortable for her, but she will still have to sit up. If you will trust me a little more, I can ride behind her; it will be better for her than being tied in the saddle."

Gil-Taur looked at her, a deep look straight into her eyes. There was no lie in them. "Do so", he said, "if our friend from Minas Tirith has no objections to it. I will take a closer look at the wound while you're busy." He turned to the man who was standing next to him. He seemed not to have any objections but nodded as if to say "I have no choice."

~~*~~

"Maybe you can tell me your name and the names of these ladys and what has happened to all of you?", Gil-Taur asked him while Lessien went out.
"I'm Naurind", he replied. Before he could continue, the woman, looking up from the child in her arms, said "I'm Elana, and this is Rachel. Rachel had just born her child, when the orcs attacked her village at the seaside. We had to flee to the woods. There is something special about this baby, but I don't know yet what it is."
Then Naurind continued telling his tale. "I came into the village a bit later and found it all in excitement. An old man told me something of a mother and her baby who must survive. I was confused, but went into the direction he showed me - and met these ladys. We reached this cabin. Something strange happened, I don't know why, but we all went asleep. When I woke up, an orc was inside. I killed the orc. Then we found Rachel outside, wounded. A few moments later, we heard noises. It was Lessien, and then you appeared."

~~*~~

While they had been telling, Gil-Taur had examined Rachel's wound. It had been made by a knife and was deep, but the knife had not hit an important organ. A finger must have been put into the wound afterwards. Rachel had obviously lost an amount of blood that was worth to be mentioned, but not enough to explain all of her weakness. After examining the wound, he had bandaged it with a piece of clean cloth from his girdle-bag.
"Now I'm sure the blade was poisoned. We must quickly get to a place where she can be healed", he said.
In that very moment Lessien came back and said, "Emmy is ready."

OOC: Timpenin, I did not mean to exclude Lessien from hearing the tale by letting her go out. She could have heard it through the open door. And Gil-Taur has not everything he just needs in his bag - see the DB, I've put it in there.

[Edited on 24/3/2005 by Rochellon]
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2005 08:06
((Hey all- I'm back. Welcome to our two new players, and thanks to all for continuing in my absence. Just a memo/reminder- we will be doing a time jump into the future of about 15 years soon, so I hope this works for all your characters.))

Rachel had wandered outside hoping to quiet the child, and the events that followed blurred together in her memory. She had dim recollection of horror, and terror, and throughout it all blinding pain. Hallucinations and reality danced in a nauseating circle. She saw faces: elf, human, orc, but not all were familiar and not all were there.

A thought passed, and it was important. Her mind reached for it, but it eluded her. Suddlenly it struck her. The child. She needed her child.

Suddenly she felt hands grabbing her, pulling her somewhere. She tried to struggle, but her limbs would not obey. Through the smell of blood she smelt horse, but didn't now whose or whence it came.

She needed her child.

With every ounce of her effort, she opened her eyes again and looked around. The child was there, in Elana's arms. Rachel strained to open her arms, hoping they would know what she meant. Spots swam in front of her eyes then, and she fell back into evil dreams.
Stridlas
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2005 02:14
Elana placed the child in Rachel's arms."Maybe, it would help, worst comes to worst we can take the child and get it out of here." Elana, dispite her young age, was very good with children. Elana watched everything, awaiting Redjets swift return, Soon, she would have a solid location of the emimies.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2005 12:30
Naurind leaped forward to catch the baby that was slipping out of Rachel's weak hands. He handed it again to Elana, turning to Lessien:

"Good, let us get going then."

The young soldier took the wounded woman on his arms very carefully, then followed Lessien to her horse that was standing patiently near the cabin. The Rohir girl mounted and he handed Rachel over to her. Elana was ready to follow in a moment. Naurind turned to the elf and asked him:

"Please, do lead the way!"

Naurind himself dropped behind to keep guard over the small company. There could be another attack.
A thought crossed his mind - he was expected back, in Minas Tirith. His father would not be pleased about hime being late. But Naurind couldn't leave the mother and the child like this.

(OK, let's make it so that Naurind is only 18 now. I think it works any way. So he's just a boy, a soldier, and not a Captain nor anything. He'll be one later)
In the Realm of Ulmo
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2005 01:01
Grak had planned for Sorg and himself to lay awake quietly until who or whatever was watching came to them, but it never did... This made the orc commander so nervous that he made Sorg pack up camp and move on without him. He would catch up to him later - much later...

Sorg was to rejoin the ranks of the orcs Grak had sent to terrorize the other towns and give them a message -- Their commander was dead and Sorg was their new commander.

In the meant time, Grak decided not to follow the rag-tag group. He would just wander alone gathering the needed materials and men until such time he heard of the boy again. If indeed this was the prophecied child, he didn't need to worry about how to find the boy. The boy would find him...

((I don't plan to post again until the jump ahead in time. I don't really think that my character is needed right now. However, I will continue reading and I'll post when I see a place where my character could come back in.))
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email