Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Child's Destiny
on: April 22, 2005 06:04
During the breathless trek outside the city, Firnion discover a new emotion inside him. He couldn't quite put a name to it; it was a sadness, a tearing, a regret, a fire, a comfort all at once. He found tears running down his cheeks and hastily brushed them away so that his friend would not see.

"Hello friend! I am glad you could meet me here. How is your trip going so far to the Great City?"

Finally he was there. He stopped in his tracks, and raised a hand in greeting to his friend.

"The city is very beautiful," he said cautiously. He did not want to burden his new friend with his own troubles, but he could not get the picture of his beautiful mother's face out of his mind.

Perhaps his friend sensed he was troubled, for he asked Firnion, "Is that all?" Firnion thought there was something odd about this friend of his but he shrugged the thought away. So far he seemed to be the only one who hadn't lied to him.

Firnion couldn't help it. He was too overwhelmed. He broke down, and told his friend about the terrible ordeals of the day, and what happened after his birthday. He did not mention the vision of his mother in his head, but he told about his anger at the others who had raised them, but at the same time he felt ashamed after their kind raising of him.

Grak listened in sympathetic silence until Firnion was done. When Firnion was finished, he lifted his head, ready to set out his own traps for the poor boy.
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2005 09:59
Grak felt this was the time to let Firnion in on a secret of his own... to let the boy know he trusted him. "Firnion, my friend, you have been through a terrible ordeal today. I can see you have no time for those who would keep secrets from you and so I will not. What I am about to reveal to you might be both frightening and loathsome. I hope that you will not discard our friendship because of it."

Grak paused to measure the curiosity on Firnion's face. "I want to be your friend and wish you no harm. I say this to you now because when you find out who I am, you may want to run..." Grak could see the boy take a step back confused by this information, but he paused holding his ground. Grak thought he saw the boy stand straighter making himself appear brave.

Grak continued, "I was in an army. I was an enemy to this land, these people... Firnion, I hope you will not judge me by this... I am an ork." Grak stepped forward into the moonlight and pulled back his hood. He and the boy stood staring at each other for only a few moments, but it seemed like hours to Grak. He awaited the boy's response.

[Edited on 23/4/2005 by peonyfoxburr]
Rochellon
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2005 11:59
OOC: I'm really wondering how Firnion wants to get back into the city unnoticed. The gate is closed at sunset and will not be opened until sunrise. (@Grak)

It was night. The stars shone brightly and the moon had risen. The White Tree seemed to give a pale silvery light.

Gil-Taur and Lessien were sitting on the wall of the citadel. They both enjoyed music, so they had fetched their instruments to play and sing under the stars. Lessien was playing her flute and Gil-Taur had a harp made of grey wood with silver strings. They had taught each other many songs of their people and were sometimes singing of the great Noldor of the First Age and sometimes of the glorious past of Rohan.

Perhaps one hour before midnight, they stopped playing as if they both had the same thought.
"What do you think of it?", Gil-Taur asked, "Firnion looked as if he was up to something when he asked us to leave."
Lessien nodded. "I feel the same. It's just a feeling, you know, and maybe just the shock. If I was in his place, I think also would want to be alone - at least for some time. But still I'm worried."
"I wish Elrond had not gone to the West!" Gil-Taur sighted. "He could tell us what to do! I also have this feeling, and I am as well wondering if it is just worry or something serious. A bit of foresight."
"Let's wait until tomorrow", Lessien said. "If he seems to feel better and there is nothing really strange we've been worried because of nothing. But if he behaves strangely, we should watch him carefully. Of cause we should try not to worry him."
Gil-Taur nodded. "You are right, but you should go to bed now. I can see you're tired!"
Lessien gave him a soft knock with her elbow and smiled. "It's always the same! You tell me to go to bed and then you watch the stars. But still you're right."
"I will also go to bed now. I want to get up very early in the morning and watch the sunrise from the rock's edge." Gil-Taur pointed to the bastion on the high cliff that divided the city, except the first ring, into two parts. "If you like, I can wake you."
"Just knock at the door", she replied and stood up.

Together they walked to the house in which rooms had been made ready for Elana's guests. In the hall they wished each other "Good night" and parted. Then each of them went to his or her room.

[Edited on 23/4/2005 by Rochellon]
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2005 08:30
Firnion stepped back a step at the fearful apparition the appeared before him. But then he stopped. Grak had not given any sign of even wanting to harm him yet, so why break his trust just now?

But he had to be sure. Trying to appear brave, he said, "Why are you helping me now then? Why do you wish to be my friend?" He had heard nothing good of orcs, but was trying very hard to be open minded.

It was harder than he thought.
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2005 10:16
Grak thought for a moment how best to answer these questions. He could tell the boy the truth - at least part of it. He decided to answer simply. "You and I have some things in common. I too never knew my true parents. Orks aren't raised in affectionate homes as humans are. Also, I felt that you were in need of a friend. Well, I am too."

Grak thought this would do for now, but then another thought entered his mind, I will have to tell him. If I do not tell him now, he will not trust me as he does not trust those who raised him.

"Firnion, there is something else I need to tell you, but I am afraid that you are not ready to hear it. You have already been through too much tonight." Grak inwardly praised himself for this feigned sympathy. "I want you to know this information, but would you rather hear it later... after you are calmer?"
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2005 08:48
Firnion, trying not to sound anoyed, said, "I am calm now. Whatever you have to tell me you should now, because I can't stand to wait any longer for everyone to tell me what they should have before. Tell me."

Actaully he was not very calm, but he tried to hide it. His heart beat like a drum, waiting to know what it was that was so important.
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 26, 2005 08:33
((I apologize for the amount of time it took me to reply... Papers, end of semester... You get the idea. Sorry this is so long.))

"I'm sorry you have had to go through so much in your short lifetime. I know that you need to know this and I also know that your so-called family doesn't want you to know. They probably think you are too fragile or something." Grak had no idea what they thought really, but he figured this had some amount of truth to it...

"I know how your mother died..." Grak paused for a moment waiting for the boy to cry or otherwise have an outburst, but though his eyes teared up, he did not interrupt. "I am sorry they did not tell you. I'll tell you how I came to know of you and your mother."

Grak knew he couldn't tell the boy the whole truth. Firnion would hate him. He couldn't tell the boy that he had killed his mother, but he could tell him of his assignment to find him... "As I told you before, I was in an army. All orks are... We are bred to kill." Grak looked down at the ground faking remorse. "I was sent on an assignment to find your mother and you and to kill you both." Grak looked up at Firnion. The boy seemed to be getting more and more tense.

Grak decided not to tell Firnion about the prophecy - not just yet anyway... "I found the little village by the sea where your mother was staying. She and her friends had fled. She had just had you maybe only a couple of hours earlier. Firnion, I followed your mother and her friends to a cabin in the woods and waited for my moment. I was with two other orks at the time. Two of us were scouts and the other ork was our commander."

Grak thought Firnion shouldn't know he was the one in charge either. "We were to wait there until everyone fell asleep, then kill everyone. Once we thought everyone was asleep, my commander ordered us forward, but then your mother came outside carrying you. She was trying to get you quiet without waking the others..."

Firnion was listening more intently now. "The other scout that was with us was ordered to go and get you and your mother and bring her back quietly. He knocked her out and brought her. Then, my commander revealed to us that our real orders were to kill your mother and perform a ritual, then kill you..."

Grak watched as the confusion and hurt flashed across Firnion's face. "Firnion, I know this is hard to understand. I don't know why that is what we were told to do, but when you are in an army you follow orders. Besides I'm an ork. I just didn't have any compassion... So, my commander stabbed your mother in the side... I'm sorry Firnion. He took some of her blood and put it on your forehead. Then he told me to take the same knife and kill you."

"I was told to pick you up and stab you. I didn't see anything wrong with it. You were, after all, just a human. So I picked you up. I was about to stab you, but then I looked at your face. There was something there that I hadn't seen in another human's face. I can't explain it Firnion, but that was the first time I had ever felt anything like that."

Grak actually did notice something in Firnion's face as he talked that he had not noticed before. It was familiar... "My commander asked me what I was waiting for. Without thinking, I stabbed him. Then the other ork went to attack me, but I stopped him. I didn't kill him, because in an ork army, if you kill your commander, then you take his place and I needed him to do something for me."

"I knew I couldn't take care of you and I had to get you back to the cabin. I knew your mother wasn't dead either. So I placed you into her arms and ordered the other ork to take you back to the cabin."

"Your mother's friends, of course, killed him, but they found you. That is all that matters. They tried to help your mother, Rachel, but she didn't make it. Firnion, I'm sorry for whatever part I had in her death."

"I have been keeping tabs on you since then. I wanted to make sure they were taking good care of you. I realized recently that they weren't though. They weren't telling you anything of your past. Firnion, I know you have a lot of questions for me. You might even hate me, but I want to give you a choice."

"I am willing to take you with me for the next few years. I travel alone now and I am part of no army. I don't associate with other orks... These people are not your family and they don't even tell you about your real family. If you would let me, I would travel with you and we would find out together more about your past. I realize that this is overwhelming. So you should go back and take time to think about it..."
Stridlas
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2005 10:20
Wishing she could have told Firnon more, Elana was upset. She had always planed on telling him everything when He was eighteen. Fifteen years ago she had lost one of her best friends, now she lost her dad. She also was slowly loosing Firnon. She wished he would come to her and give her some questions to answer because she was not sure what exactly she was supossed to tell her.
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2005 11:09
((Okay, PB)) ((sorry this meeting is taking so long guys. I'll try and finish it up so Firnion can get back to you and you can interact a little bit more.))

The offer Grak extended to Firnion stretche dout into silence. Firnion could hardly believe what he was hearing. Finally, he said, "You... saved my life?"

The orc nodded.

"Then you are as much family as they are. Maybe more, since only you saw fit to tell me the truth! I should go with you now. I don't know how I'd get past the gates anyhow. They are closed for the night."

Grak seemed to face some internal struggle, and then spoke again.
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2005 12:48
((I hope playing your char a little was okay Dolen... tell me if you want me to change it.))

"Is there nothing you want to bring with you? I can see that you brought nothing with you at all."

Firnion thought for a moment and responded, "There is one thing, but..."

"What is it?"

"Its a sword that one of them got me. Its beautiful, but I don't even know how to use it..."

Grak thought for only a moment. Then he answered the boy, "Well, you said yourself you don't even know how to use it. I'm sure they will keep it safe for you if you ever want to come back and get it... Besides swords are difficult to learn how to use. If you want a weapon, you'd better get something that is more practical."

With that, Grak pulled a side knife from under his cloak. Firnion seemed to get nervous, but Grak was holding the knife out to him with two hands. "This is a more practical weapon." Firnion took the handle and examined the knife.

The handle was black leather and plain except the tip. The tip was red and had some writing on it that Firnion had never seen before. The blade had serrated edges and a double tip. The knife's entire length was about two and half times as large as Firnion's hand.

Grak saw that Firnion looked confused. "I know orks don't usually carry such weapons, but this one was given to me... I have kept it only to give it to you."

Firnion looked up at him. "I can have this?"

"Yes. Firnion, this knife was used to kill your mother. I was to use it to kill you, but I didn't and now it is yours to do with it what you will."

Firnion stood staring at the knife in his hands with tears starting to form, but he choked them back. Grak whistled and Dreima was seen above them in the distance. "Let's go then... if your ready."
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2005 01:09
Firnion looked at the knife in wonderment and then tuched it into his belt. Something felt wrong about it, but he thought it was only that his mother had been killed with it.

Trying to appear brave, Firnion followed Grak out. He did not know where they were going, but he felt anywhere was better than here. Away from the people who lied to him.

They followed no road, and the going was rough. While Firnion had had an active childhood, he was not used to the sort of exertion. Grak seemed not to tire, but just loped endlessly ahead.

Finally Firnion's stumblings caught the orc's attention. Grak called to a halt, and then cast himself on the ground. Firnion collapsed, breathless and bruised. In seconds he was asleep, tears leaking from under his eyelids. Unheeded, the sun crept slowly up into view.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Firnion first slept fitfully, regrets and confusion swimming around him. And then She was there. His mother's face swam into view, and he could feel her arms around him. Her hair was a soft perfume, and suddenly he felt safe.

"My dear child," she said. "What has happened? Even your name is not your own. I wish I were there to guide you..."

Her form faded, and Firnion reached out to her. "Mother!" he cried.

---------------------------------------------------------

Suddenly he was awake. Grak was standing over him, looking at him in an odd sort of way.
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2005 01:40
((Hey everyone else... Feel free to follow us if you dare... heh heh heh))

Grak awake to the boy's screams. He thought the others had discovered Firnion was gone and found them already, but the boy was yelling for his mother. Firnion awoke just as Grak reached him. He jumped at the sight of the ork over him.

Grak said, "I'll get you something to eat. It's not yet light, but we need to move soon. They will be coming after you soon." He went off into the woods for a few minutes and came back with some apples and a type of flower.

"The flower will wake you up, give you energy. It doesn't taste good, though, I'm told." Firnion ate as Grak got their things ready to go. He gave Firnion the sheath for the knife. He had forgotten about it before. The blade was so sharp it had torn his clothes.

After a while, Dreima came to them. He had been off getting his own breakfast. "They haven't left the city yet, but it just morning. We should move on now." Grak nodded and they were off again. Dreima flew up ahead and back behind them now and again to see if they were being followed.

After about two hours, Dreima flew swiftly to them from behind. He landed on a rock just in front of them. "They have left the city... They are spreading out in every direction..."

Grak gritted his teeth. It has started. "Dreima, who has left the city? How many?"

"Hundreds... soldiers and his family... The queen ordered a search party. They searched the city first..." The poor bird was out of breath. Firnion looked as if he was having second thoughts.

Grak looked at him. Then he said, "Firnion, I will not keep you here with me if you don't want to stay with me, but think! Friend, will they help you to find the answers? Will they tell you the truth just because you ran away? It is more likely that they will shelter you more. Now, they have gone out in every direction. They will find your trail soon. So we will follow the river. I have boats waiting near here. We are almost there. Will you stay with me?"
Rochellon
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 03:03
When Gil-Taur got up, it was around one and an half hour before sunrise. It was dark in his room except the moonlight that crept in through the window. Gil-Taur took a look outside. The city was dark and quiet, the stars were shining. He turned back and put on his usual day-clothes after washing himself. He wore a light-blue tunic, light-gray trousers and soft shoes made of black leather. As always, his sword hung at his girdle. Silently Gil-Taur left the room.

Lessien woke up as light from the sinking moon touched her face. She was about to close the curtains when there was a knock at the door. Lessien remebered: That must be Gil-Taur. "I'll be ready in a minute!" she called. Lessien washed herself quickly, put on her clothes and opened the door.

~~*~~

Lessien and Gil-Taur were sitting at the farest east point of the citadel: The wall on the cliff that divided the city. Far beneath them, they could see the main gate in the soft light of dawn just before sunrise. Everything was silent. Looking east to the Ephel Duath they saw the light grow stronger. And then Anar rose in all it's might and beauty. The wide valley that the Anduin had formed between the Mountains of Shadow and the Ered Nimrais became bright, the White City gleamed like snow, the River Anduin like liquid silver. Trumpets sounded and the gate was opened. The city got awake.

~~*~~

After some time, Lessien and Gil-Taur left their place and walked over to the house in which they would eat their breakfast together with the others. They had expected to find Firnion there, but in fact no-one was there. They went to his room, knocked at the door and told him to wake up. After some minutes they gave up knocking and opened the door. Firnion's bed obviously had never be touched!

Gil-Taur was the first to speak. "So our worry was not without reason", he said at low voice.

"We have to tell Elana and to search him!" Lessien shouted, "Quick!"

~~*~~

OOC: Sorry I do not continue, but I have a very special idea and wait for Dolen to allow me to use it.

To all who do not know the elvish names I used:

Ephel Duath: Mountains of Shadow
Anar: the Sun
Ered Nimrais: White Mountais
See the map for details!
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 12:12
Firnion awoke blearily with an orc standing over him. He jumped, and then remembered the previous night. This orc meant him no harm.

Grak went off to get some food, and Firnion sat up, shivering. The flower Grak brought back did taste horrible, but it also delivered the promised energy.

Grak looked at him. Then he said, "Firnion, I will not keep you here with me if you don't want to stay with me, but think! Friend, will they help you to find the answers? Will they tell you the truth just because you ran away? It is more likely that they will shelter you more. Now, they have gone out in every direction. They will find your trail soon. So we will follow the river. I have boats waiting near here. We are almost there. Will you stay with me?"

Firnion looked up at the orc, feeling wretched. "There's no turning back now," he said. "I've gone to far." Dimly in his mind he could see a sad form of his mother's face. 'Where are were headed?" he asked. "You must have some direction where I can find my answers."
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 01:29
"Where are we headed?" Firnion asked. "You must have some direction where I can find my answers."

"Do you trust me?" Grak waited a moment and just as Firnion was about to answer, Grak interrupted, "Wait. Don't answer that. Not yet."

Grak looked up at Dreima and nodded. The bird flew off. Grak continued, "I am taking you to... a friend. He can tell us more about why we were ordered to find you so many years ago. Firnion, I'm taking you to see another ork. I can assure you, he won't harm you once he sees you are with me."

Grak started to move on and gestured to Firnion to do the same. "I have sent Dreima on ahead to inform him that we willing be arriving by nightfall." In fact, he sent Dreima on to tell this 'friend' who Firnion was so he wouldn't hurt him. As soon as Risar heard that Firnion was the prophesied child, he would be more than happy to see him.

Risar had been the one above Grak in command... He had told Grak all he knew about the prophecy. He would now tell Firnion.

[Edited on 1/5/2005 by peonyfoxburr]
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 06:43
This was a promising mention, this friend. Someone who actually had answers. Firnion had learned nothing good about orcs from Elana, but he had also learned from an orc that she had lied to him. Left to his own devices, he was now lost on where to turn. However, he now had only one real choice, so the decision was easy.

He would stay with Grak.

Once again they stayed off the roads, assumingly for the orc. Firnion did not know it was to hide him as well. The going was hard, and added to the fatigues of the day before, Firnion felt sore with every step and tried hard not to gasp for breath. Soon he fell into a dazed step, forcing his feet to follow after Grak in an endless pattern. He dared not ask for rest, not only to appear brave, but also because he felt if he stopped he could never move again. He only wished for nightfall to come so he could have his answers and then know what to do and where to go.

At last the sun began, almost imperceptibly, to sink down into dusk.
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 08:43
Grak was impressed at how well the boy kept up with him. His dogged perseverance was not all that surprising though considering who he was.

As the sun set, they reached a clearing and an opening in the ground. Dreima was perched on a tree near the opening. "Risar is waiting." With that, the crow flew off into the night sky.

Grak turned to Firnion to tell him to go in first, but one look at the boy and he realized just how hard he had pushed him. He took Firnion's arm and put it around his neck for support. They reached the opening and went down the dark stairs. A large stone was rolled over the opening behind them.

Risar had helped Grak after he told his subordinate to tell the others he was dead. After the fall of Sauron, the dark armies disbanded and, for a while, were scattered. Then it was said that those who knew the prophecies waited for the day. They gathered together those who would help and waited.

Risar was one of those orks. As far as anyone was concerned, he was the leader of the reorganized ork army. (If you could call any ork army organized...) Grak thought to himself, Just think! The boy doesn't even realize he is being prepared for the day when he will take Risar's place...

Grak helped Firnion inside a damp, dark room made of stone. Risar greeted them, "Hello Grak. Hello Firnion." He offered them a seat. Then he sat across from Firnion and looked at him in evil delight. "Grak? This is how you treat the boy? Get him some food!"

Grak had gotten used to not taking orders for a while, but when Risar commanded, no one could disobey. Grak got up and went into another room. He came back with a plateful of meat and other assortments. While Firnion ate, the two orks talked quietly in the other room. Grak told him all the things he had told Firnion and all his plans.

Risar and Grak came back after a while just as Firnion was finishing. Risar said to him, "Firnion, I know you have many questions for me, but it is late and I know you are tired." Firnion was about to protest, but Grak, who was standing behind Risar, raised his hand and shook his head to dissuade him from doing so.

After Risar had left them, Grak took Firnion to a room where he could rest. This room had obviously been furnished for such a guest. The bed was soft and there was a basin for washing.

These were not things that were normally found in an ork's dwelling. This room had been specially prepared for Firnion. Grak told him just before leaving him, "I will see you first thing in the morning. Get some rest. You'll need it." Grak left him and went outside. He couldn't stand to sleep inside.

[Edited on 2/5/2005 by peonyfoxburr]
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2005 03:39
Firnion stood in the room, feeling farther than comfort than he had ever felt before. Despite the fact that Grak had thus far been kind to him, this Risar set him more on edge than Grak ever did. Firnion could see the fierceness there, and only hoped that no harm would come to him.

He needed his answers.

He paced the room restlessly for a bit, and then washed his face and arms in the basin. The cool water soothed a few of his hurts and bruises, and he felt slightly better.

he did not want to leave the room and there was not much else to do, so he crawled into the soft bed, promising himself he would not close his eyes even once. As is the way of such promises, he was asleep in minutes.

--------------------------------------------------------

The dream came, at least it was like a dream. He was asleep, and then he saw his mother standing before him. Even though he would have felt too old had she been alive, she came and gathered him into his arms. Even in the dream he could tell her hair smelled good.

"My poor child," she said. "Why have you gone this way? There are lies down this path as well."

He turned to look at her, and saw tears on her cheeks. Touching the tears, he said, "Mother, why did you have to go? This would not have happened otherwise. I would know who I am."

"You will still find it, my child," she replied. "I only wish I could help you on this path you were set upon."

The dream began to fade, and reaching out, he sat up in the bed and awoke. Grak was standing over him, and he wondered whether it was the dream or Grak that had awakened him.
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2005 08:07
Grak awoke suddenly just before dawn. Something was wrong. He heard that same voice in his head as before...

It was the one that had come to him that night so many years ago. He had told Risar of it after he had killed Firnion's mother and performed the ritual. The old ork told him that he had been chosen as Firnion's mentor. He would be the one to befriend him and the boy would trust him when he trusted no one else. Grak was amazed at how much Risar had said had actually come to pass. He wondered how much the old ork would tell Firnion of the prophecy.

The voice that came to him many times, always in connection with Firnion, told Grak to go to the boy now and wake him. There was an urgency about the command that made Grak run. He burst into the room and for all the noise he made, the boy still did not awaken.

Grak felt for the first time since that first night he had heard the voice a strange feeling coming over him. He again began to chant some strange words he had never before heard and the boy's hand lifted and he sat up and awoke.

Grak knew the strange feeling was the voice overtaking him, but there was another feeling there too. He wasn't sure what it was. It too seemed familiar, but the ork disliked it. It felt warm to him.

Firnion was looking at him strangely. Grak merely said, "I will get you some food." Then he left the room. He went to get some food and thought, No one else will be up for a little while. This will give me some time to show the boy how to use his new weapon.

He came back with some dried out bread and a strange prickly fruit that tasted bitter. Grak had some meat and shared it with Firnion. He rarely ate anything else but meat. As they ate, Grak asked the boy how he felt. He thought to himself that he really didn't care, but he thought the boy would think it was a nice gesture.

Firnion answered that he felt better and left it at that. Grak thought now was a good time. "Would you like me to show you how to use your knife?"

[Edited on 3/5/2005 by peonyfoxburr]
Rochellon
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2005 09:50
OOC: This is very long... I have to fill a whole day!
@peonyfoxburr: I guessed from your description of the way Firnion and Grak took that this orcish "home" is somewhere in the Ephel Duath (the mountains east of the Anduin). I hope that's OK.
@Stridlas: I don't know what plans Elana has, so I left that open.

Quickly, Lessien turned and rushed out of the room, Gil-Taur just a pace behind her. Hiking her skirt up so she could move faster, she rounded a corner without looking and skidded to a stop before she ran over a servant scrubbing the floor. "Where is Lady Elana? Tell us, quickly, now! Is she still at breakfast?"

"No, she will be in the tower now. If you would like me to--" Lessien never heard the rest of the girl's response as she set off full-speed towards where she thought he tower was. Once, Gil-Taur corrected her as she made a wrong turning, but shortly they were at the arched door that opened onto a spiraling flight of stairs. By halfway up, she was already puffing, and Gil-Taur swiftly caught her up. She motioned him to go on ahead of her and without a hint of tiredness he sprinted by. She continued on at her fastest and could hear Gil-Taur's voice echoing down to her.

"Elana! Firnion cannot be found, I fear he has left the city altogether."

"Firnion? How? He can't have left the city, surely he would have been noticed!" Their voices grew clearer as Lessien neared to top, and as she entered the door, Elana was standing by a window, hands clutching hard until they are almost as white as the stone itself.

"I fear he left as soon as our backs were turned yesterday," Lessien said, "who knows where he may be now. We must institute a search outside the walls immediately." Elana turned, worry creasing her face and held up a hand.

"Wait, what makes you so sure he has left the city? Or even these few acres? He could just as well have sought solitude in one of the gardens."

Gil-Taur stepped forward, "Elana, I believe that he has left, but maybe there is a way to know for sure." When she gave him a curious look, he merely gestured to the pedestal that stood in the center of the room.

The top of the pedestal was covered with black cloth but showed the shape of something round. "I am sure your father told you what this is", he said, "The Palantir he brought from Isengard. None of the seeing stones is is evil hands now, so that I think I can dare to use it, if you allow me to." Elana nodded. "Do you know how to use it?" she asked. "The Palantiri were made by the Noldor, my people", Gil-Taur answered, "I never had the opportunity to use one, but I have read about them."

He uncovered the stone. It was black, but soon moving pictures could be seen, beneath it's surface it seemed. Gil-Taur tried to remember what he had read a long time ago. Keep your face at least one foot away from the stone and look through it into the direction you want to! But - where do I want to look to?

Going around the stone, he saw many things: A cave entrance in the White Mountains, the Golden Hall in Edoras and the northern gate of the Pelennor where some things of which he knew what they were. Looking west, he saw the gate of Minas Tirith. Suddenly he had a thought: He must have gone through the gate! The Palantiri were said to be able to show the past. Every thought of his tried to force the stone to show the time when Firnion had left the city. When has that been? Must have been short before sunset. The time seemed to pass backwards. The stone became dark, stars could be seen, the walls were pale. Then the sun seemed to raise in the west. This is yesterday evening. Gil-Taur tried to see the people who were leaving. That's Firnion! Where is he going? Firnion walked to some bushes which were perhaps a half mile from the city. Inside the bushes he disappeared from view. After a while, it was deep night, two figures left. Who is the other one? Gil-Taur's view followed them. The time passed much faster then real. Sunrise came, the two rested and then got up. Gil-Taur knew that this happened now. He could see what happened, but not what came afterwards. He allowed the stone to show a larger area to get an overview. At least he turned his view from the stone.

"I know where they are!" he shouted. Suddenly great tiredness struck him. I might have known. They said forcing a Palantir to show exactly what you want makes exhausted.

Gil-Taur realized that Lessien and Elana were looking at him and waited for a bit more details. "They are going east, towards the river" he said, "I can show you on a map. But first I need my breakfast. This thing needs very much concentration to use it properly. I am really tired, and that in the morning!"

"Could you tell us at a bit more? At least who is 'they'?" Lessien asked. Elana seemed puzzled. "Why should he go to the river? He has never been there!"

Gil-Taur sighted. "I can tell you a little while we're going down." He went to the door. "But the stone only shows things. It gives no explanations."

They went down all the stairs from the top of the tower. Gil-Taur told them what he had seen in as many words as necessary but not one more. When they finally reached their breakfast table, he ate and drunk quickly and much more than usually. After half an hour he seemed to have recovered. Elana had a map of the area within a day's travel from Minas Tirith be fetched and sent out a search party. Gil-Taur showed them the way Firnion and the unknown person had used.

"It seemed that they wanted to avoid being seen", he said, "They kept away from roads and houses and often went through some wood or bushland."
"And what should we do now?" Lessien asked, "To search should be obvious, but how?"
"I have already given orders to encircle the area where they must have been, except at the river. If they are not found, they must have crossed it", Elana said.
"I am nearly sure they want to cross it. In this direction there is nothing else." Gil-Taur showed them the area on the map. "I think we should go as fast as possible. With every hour it will become more difficult to find them."
Lessien nodded. "Elana, please let everything be prepared! I'm just wondering what to do when we find him", she said.
"I do not know either", Gil-Taur replied, "Firnion did not seem as if he was forced to follow, but everyone who wants good would not need to come in secret. We will have to decide what to do when we meet him."
Lessien and Elana nodded. Elana said, "You're right. I will give orders now. Prepare yourselves to go, and don't forget your weapons!"

Lessien and Gil-Taur went to their rooms. Lessien put on her travel-clothing. It was worn out and not really beautiful, but very comfortable and robust. She put everything in her bag she would need: a blanket, rope, other clothes and some smaller items.
Gil-Taur's preparations were similar. He also put on travel-clothing and took similar things with him, but he had more weapons and put on his light armour: A coat of mail and leather protection for his arms and legs. His cloak would make him nearly invisible on distance. I should also take a helmet, he thought, and get some armour for Lessien!

When they met each other again, Gil-Taur said "I am afraid we might have to fight. You'd better go and get some light armour, while I take another look at the Palantir. Please bring a helmet for me!"
"You might be right." Lessien sighted. "I wish this had not happened!"
Gil-Taur nodded. "I hope I will be back soon, but I have to know where they are before we go." He walked towards the tower at quick pace.

Lessien went to the magazine. The soldier there seemed a bit confused that a woman from Rohan wanted to fetch armour here, but he knew that she was one of Elana's guests and helped her to get what she needed. She got an armour much like Gil-Taur's: a coat of mail, leather protection for arms and legs, a leather helmet and a short sword. She did not have much fighting experience and none with a sword, but the soldier told her it was better to carry a sword and to learn by doing if necessary then not to have one.

Lessien met Gil-Taur on the way to the stables. They left the citadel through the tunnel. She handed him the helmet she had brought for him.
"They are crossing the river by boat a few miles north of Osgiliath", Gil-Taur told her. "We will have to ride quickly."

Elana had ordered five horsemen to ride with them and to support them. They all carried provisions with them. Gwaeroch and Emerwen were already waiting. Lessien and Gil-Taur put their own provisions in their bags and mounted their horses.
Elana gave them a map of the area they wanted to go to. "I have some things to do here", she said, "Maybe I will follow you later. Farewell!"
"I hope we will bring back Firnion safely", Lessien replied, "Farewell!"
"Namarie!" Gil-Taur said in his language.

Gil-Taur, who's father was an officer, gave the orders. The group to rode down through the city and left it. They used the riding way beside the road to Osgiliath and reached the old city at lunchtime. After a short rest and a quick meal they crossed the river and rode on east. In the evening they reached the great crossroad and made camp in a village north of it.

[Edited on 3/5/2005 by Rochellon]

[Edited on 4/5/2005 by Rochellon]
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2005 06:11
Firnion, sitting on his bed, looked up at Grak. There was something strange or different about the manner of the orc, but Firnion could not quite name what it was.

He pulled the knife out of its sheath and looked at it.

"Yes, please," he said. "Gil-Taur taught me how to fight with a straight sword, like the one he gave me." Here he touched the one at his other side. "But this one is an odd shape. It would be nice to know how to use it."

He stood off the bed, and looked the orc straight in the eye. "But should I use the same weeapon that killed my mother?"
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2005 08:58
((Rochellon, Ephel Duath is okay. I didn't really have a place mind.))

"Should I use the same weapon that killed my mother?" Grak didn't hesitate when answering, because he thought this question might come up and already had a response for it.

"Firnion, I know that having this knife with you and using it may seem strange. Think of it as redeeming part of that awful night. I wouldn't have given it to you if I had not thought it might help you heal somehow. Also, perhaps you may be able to redeem the knife too."

Grak told Firnion to meet him outside and closed the door on his way out. He went up stairs and talked to Risar, who had just come out of his own room. After he showed the boy a few moves, Grak, Risar, and Firnion would sit down and talk.

Grak went outside and a few minutes later, Firnion followed him. The ork spent about a half an hour teaching Firnion different moves with his new weapon before Dreima came flying to them swiftly.

Firnion saw him first. "Is that Dreima?" he said pointing to the sky.

Grak looked behind him. As he squinted into the sky, he thought to himself that the boy has very good eyesight. "Yes. It looks like he has news. He's flying very fast."

Firnion and Grak both sheathed their weapons and waited only a few moments for Dreima to arrive. Dreima perched on Grak's outstretched hand. He didn't even wait to catch his breath. "They're coming... They camped in the village... north of the... crossroads... They started moving... just a half an hour ago... We have to get going... They are headed... right for us..."

Grak thought to himself, How do they know to come this way?! Then the he thanked the crow and ran inside leaving Firnion outside. "Risar!" he yelled as he went down the stairs. Risar would know what to do. He found him in the common room where he was before. He had just finished breakfast.

The old ork stood at the sound of Grak tramping sown the stairs. "Risar! Dreima brought news that they are headed right for us. They were camped in the village by the crossroads and they left just a half and hour ago..." Grak awaited his commander's orders.

Risar paced a moment in deep thought. Then he stopped and smiled. "Grak get the boy and your things. Tell him to get his things from his room. We will take the tunnels. Make sure you make it look like there was no one near the rock, but leave the place where your campfire was undisturbed."

Risar hurriedly left Grak and Grak went outside again. He told Firnion to gather his things from his room. Before he left Grak gave him his sack and told him to put some food in it. Risar would give him some. Then Firnion was to follow Risar. Grak would be there in a few minutes. Dreima flew off quickly.

Two orks came up just before Firnion went down. Grak then busied himself with sweeping the footprints away from the entrance to the hole. The two orks that had come up were to be the decoys. One was uncomfortably wearing shoes much like Firnion's. Grak told them to go up over the mountains and to go into the caves. They knew which ones he ones talking about.

Then he went down the hole. The two orks rolled the big rock in place and cleaned their footprints away. They made it look like the rock had always been there undisturbed. They left the campsite and went up the mountain hoping that they would be followed by the humans from the white city.

Grak went down the stairs and into the common room. Everything looked just as it had a little while ago except that it was a little messier and there was no one there. Grak gathered a few useful things like food and warm clothes - just a few things that Risar may not have thought of for the boy.

Then he went to the hidden entrance to the tunnels. Even the ork with his thick skin was colder here. He knew Firnion must be freezing. He put on one of the warm cloaks he had brought and ran to catch up to the others. He found them just a little way into the tunnel. They were walking!

"What are you doing?! They will be here within the hour!"

Risar turned and glared at him. The others turned too - Firnion and two more orks. Risar growled at Grak, "We do not need to hurry. IF they find the entrance to the hole. Then they will have to search it. That will take a long time. It is very deep. Then IF they find the entrance to the tunnel they will have to get past the other orks I left behind."

"What do you mean the other orks?" Grak had thought it was strange there were only two other orks with them.

"I left forty-five of my finest orks in there to clean up and make it look like no one had been there for a while. That will only take them a few minutes. Then they are to come into the tunnels and wait for three days. If no one follows in after them. They are to leave the tunnels. Besides even if the humans get past my orks, they will have to find us in the maze of the tunnels. You greatly underestimate my ability to lead."

There was an awkward silence. Then Grak gritted his teeth and apologized. If it hadn't been for Firnion, Grak would have killed the old ork for humiliating him. In the old army, commanders were killed when they became less than worthy of the post or weak like the old ork was now.

Whoever killed them took their place. Grak could be the leader of the entire ork force, but for Firnion's sake, he didn't kill Risar. For one it might hurt him. Humans were emotionally unstable, and Firnion still needed to hear the prophecy from him.

They reached the first split in the tunnels after about an hour. There were two different paths. Risar stopped. "It doesn't really matter which way we go. Firnion, you choose." Grak looked up in surprise. Risar saw this and said, "He will be a leader soon enough..." Risar looked at the boy who had heard what he had said. "Either way you choose, we will reach a resting place after a bit. Then I will tell you everything... Go ahead. Choose."
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2005 07:13
Firnion felt rushed in a whirlwind of escape, but for now he had no choice but the go along with it. He almost felt that suddenly his life was out of his control. They all seemed to give him choices, but all the same...

The walked down the tunnels. Firnion felt jumpy. He had never been in a cave before, and the pressing darkness frightened him. He also realised he loved Elana and Gil-Taur and Lessien, and while he was angry with them he certainly didn't want them to die. And he was also sure that that was what would happen if they found him now.

He sighed and plodded on in cold misery.

They reached the first split in the tunnels after about an hour. There were two different paths. Risar stopped. "It doesn't really matter which way we go. Firnion, you choose." Grak looked up in surprise. Risar saw this and said, "He will be a leader soon enough..." Risar looked at the boy who had heard what he had said. "Either way you choose, we will reach a resting place after a bit. Then I will tell you everything... Go ahead. Choose."

Firnion paused. He didn't know which way was right, nor why they suddenly expected him to be a leader. He was about to say as much, but the orc frightened him. Swallowing hard, he pointed at the right-hand passageway.

What leader? He wondered. He knew Risar did not like questions, however, and he decided it was best to wait until answers were more forthcoming.
Rochellon
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2005 07:21
The sun rose over the village in Ithilien. The company was ready to continue the search. They had just mounted when a messenger from Osgiliath reached them. He rode towards Lessien and Gil-Taur. "I was ordered to bring this letter to an elf and a lady from Rohan, named Gil-Taur and Lessien", he said, "I suppose this is you." He handed Gil-Taur a sealed envelope. "Thank you", Gil-Taur said and looked at the seal which was Elana's without doubt. Carefully he opened the envelope, breaking the seal. Lessien made Emerwen stand close to Gwaeroch, so that she could also read the message which was not very long.

"I write this roughly one hour before sunset after using the Palantir myself. I did not have the strength to track them for a long time, but I know that Firnion and the unknown person have gone into some kind of cave hidden in the Mountains of Shadow. I'm sure this will safe you much time in tracking them.
Elana"

Under the text was a sketch of a map which roughly showed the location of the cave.
"This is really useful!" Gil-Taur said and speaking to the messenger added, "Again I thank you. We will have to go fast. Please send the Queen my thanks after you have rested!"

They left the village. The first miles the followed the road, then they went a bit west to the last known resting place which was perhaps one mile away from the road. "Who do you think is this stranger?" Gil-Taur asked Lessien as they rode along. "I don't know more then you do," she replied, "But I think it has got something to do with whatever is special about him. But I'm sure you think this as well!" Gil-Taur nodded. "You guessed it. It's just that I have no idea what it might be." He sighted.

When they arrived at the place where Firnion and the stranger had rested, Gil-Taur dismounted and looked at the ground. The grass was high, but the ground was soft so that he had no difficulties in tracking, especially knowing the basic direction. When he was sure, he mounted again. "There is something strange about these tracks," he told Lessien while riding east again, "One of them is Firnion's for sure, but I cannot figure out who made the other one. He seems to wear heavy shoes of not very good quality. He must be very poor or-" "Or what?" Lessien asked. Gil-Taur's voice was only a whisper as he responded. "I do not like the thought, but the only ones to wear such shoes often are orcs."
Both of them were silent for some time.

~~*~~

Before lunchtime they were very near to the steep slopes of the Ephel Duath. The ground became dry and tracking difficult.
Suddenly Gil-Taur stopped. "Now this is strange!" he shouted. "What is it?" everyone asked. "The track seems to turn west again, but it does not look as it should. Look!" He unmounted and pointed at the things he talked about. "The track leads east, as it did all the time. Then another track of the same steps seems to come back and leads north-west, If you do not look close, you might think that whoever made them changed his mind. But it is not so. The track leads on perhaps two feet and seems to end in nothing. I guess someone tried to hide them. I don't really know what we should do: Maybe they came back and wanted to hide where they have been. But that does not make sense: They should be happy about any delay and longer way we have."
"Maybe there is someone else to distract us?" Lessien asked.
"This could be true!" Huor, a young soldier, said. "If I had someone to send away, I would do so it if someone tried to track me."
"So we should go on. Unmount!" Gil-Taur ordered. "One to guard the horses, everyone else search the surrounding for a cave in pairs! Be careful, the enemy might be near!"

~~*~~

It was Huor who found the entrance. He and another soldier were the last to come back while the others already had lunch. "We've found it!" they shouted as they came back. "We did not go inside, but there is a small entrance to a huge cave hidden behind a large rock."
"At last! Eat you lunch, you two, then we go on!" Gil-Taur said. "Is there anything else of importance?" - "Nothing."

Ten minutes later they stood at the entrance. One of the soldiers stayed outside to take care of the horses, the others lit torches and carefully went inside. No noise was to be heard, no motion to be seen. The cave was long. Some yards inside the mountain rooms opened to the sides. They contained uncomfortable beds, ruined tables and food that was to old to guess what it had once been. "This looks terribly much like a deserted orc-hole! This stranger is an orc, I am afraid." Gil-Taur said. Quite a long time they searched for a sign of Firnion. They found nothing, until one of the soldiers called, "There are stairs over here!" They went down the stairs, but downstairs there was no motion as well, only more rooms. Again they searched everything.

Oh, Firnion, Lessien thought, how could you possibly have come here of your own will? She desperately wanted him safe back with Elana and all of them; privately, she had shied away from the notion that he had willingly come here, almost preferring to believe that he was a prisoner...a prisoner of orcs. Perhaps she had best not think on the subject at all. The fine wrinkles around her eyes tightened with worry and she jumped when one of the men with them tapped her on the shoulder. "Lady Lessien, will you help?"

By luck they had found what they were looking for: Behind a heap of dirt, she saw the top edge of a door, the others were already digging it away. Kneeling beside the others, the quickly cleared the dirt away and backed off as Gil-Taur took the handle and pulled it open. Suddenly he hesitated. Then the others heard why: Voices drifted out of the door, hard as Caradhras and with murder sliding off of their cruel edge.

Gil-Taur pushed the door to close with a loud bang. "Back to the stairs!" he shouted, "Draw your swords! There are many orcs!" He took is bow in one hand and an arrow in the other while running. As they had reached the stairs, the orcs came out of their hole. The first one fell dead immediately: Gil-Taur's arrow had hit his left eye. The others did not hesitate.

Now Gil-Taur drew his own sword and gave orders. "Lessien, flee and fetch help! The others: We have to stop them at least for some time, so that they will not follow immediately. Defend the stairs!" He stood on the lowest stair, Huor next to him, the others behind them. Lessien ran up the stairs.
Gil-Taur had one second to look at his blade before the attack came. It gave a pale blueish light. His thoughts flashed to what he had heard of the fair city of Tirion, the most beautiful of all cities of the world, were it had been forged by his grandfather's grandfather. He was old in the terms of men, but this blade was older than he could imagine.

Thoughts passed through Lessien's mind as she she sprinted up the stairs. If Firnion is in there, how can I leave? No, if he was there, he would be dead rather than consort with orcs who would kill us, that's sure. If he is dead, I will kill every last one myself!

Then Gil-Taur had to parry the first blow aimed for him. The counter-attack hit the orc's shield, which broke and the orc's arm as well. A second blow killed the orc. Huor's shield was hit by a spear, but the young soldier stood straight and killed his enemy. The battle was fierce. Hour was hurt, but could be rescued and another soldier took his place. After a dozen orcs were dead, the survivors retreated to their hole.

Gil-Taur wept the sweat from his forehead. "Don't give them time to change their mind! Get out of here!" They ran up the stairs and out of the cave. They mounted their horses quickly and rode of, back to the village.

~~*~~

Lessien rushed out of the hole. "We are attacked by orcs!" she shouted, "Wait here for the others, I will fetch help." She jumped on Emerwen's back and let her gallop back to the road. There, she let Emmy slow down to a quick trot, because else she would become tired too soon.

[Edited on 16/5/2005 by Rochellon]

[Edited on 18/5/2005 by Rochellon]
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2005 10:04
((I'm really excited about finishing this story, Dolen and Rochellon. My very long absence is regretable and unexplainable. I apologize. I will post a short passage for now. Let's see where this goes...))

The young frightened boy slowly raised his arm and pointed towards the right-hand tunnel. Grak could see his confusion and remained angry with Risar for the duration of the trek deeper into the earth. However, he soon became distracted at the strange writing on the walls. There were scattered places where there was ancient writing that he had never before encountered.

At first the writing was scrawled, as if written hurredly or by a child. Then as they went along, the writings became more sophisticated, more ornate. These words did not look like an ork had written them. The more they saw this mystery language, the more Grak hated the sight of it. Risar and the few other orks also seemed to be getting more and more nervous at the sight of this ancient, beautiful text.

Yet, Firnion seemed to be getting more calm. Whatever worries or nervousness he had before were leaving him. The old script seemed to have the opposite effect on his species than on the orks. Grak thought to himself that he was glad the boy was calmer, but all the same he did not want to see one more word of the strange writing on the wall.

Suddenly and right next to a large open room with the most writing Grak had seen yet, Risar stopped the small band. "We will rest here!" The old ork slowly sat on a nearby rock and motioned for Grak to come closer. As he did, Firnion slowly approached the script on the outer wall of the opening.

((Dolen if this next part isn't okay, let me know so I can edit it.))

Grak walked closer to Risar and the old ork motioned to Firnion. He whispered, "Watch him..." The boy walked toward the wall as if it were the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. He slowly reached out his hand to touch one of the letters in the inscription. When his fingers reached the dent, he jumped as if it had startled him. He spoke without turning to no one in particular, "The writing - it's warm." The inscribed letters seemed to glow faintly in response to his touch.

Grak flinched as Firnion touched the wall. The other orks didn't seem to be having as much difficulty as he was. Grak wanted this strange torture to end. He turned to Risar. "It's time."

"Yes. It is time... Firnion, come sit with me."
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2005 10:54
((It's good to be back on this. Let's get this show on the road!))

Firnion walked along, lost in his thoughts. The very cold seemed to seep into his bones, as well as a chill in his soul. The faces of those who had raised him for fifteen years whirled in his head, but his face and eyes felt too frozen for tears. He felt alone, even with the orcs. What did Grak have in mind? Him, a leader? He knew nothing of such things, and yet...

As he walked he noticed shimmers out of the corner of his eye, scrawling on the walls and cieling. He glanced up and saw writing. Although he did not understand it, the simple beauty of it warmed his heart (if not his body) and gave him calm. He could feel his mother's love residing in his soul.

At last they reached a room with a resting place, but Firnion barely noticed. He was entranced by the writing. Slowly he reached out, following some urge he did not understand, and touched one of the words. He jumped, feeling it warm to the touch, although it did not burn him.

Suddenly he was aware of the tenseness of his "friends" and the eerie glow of the room. Someone had said something to him. It was Risar. He shook his head and walked over to the orcs.

"What is this place?" He asked.
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2005 09:15
Risar answered Firnion, “This place is ancient and its origin is unknown. It was found by orcs long ago who were looking for a dark hiding place. If it had been found by someone different, it might have been held as sacred. Of course, orcs hardly hold anything sacred.”

“The writing on the walls took some twenty years to properly translate. No one now living knows how to read it, but the tradition of what is written has been passed down many generations. There are other rooms that tell of many things – all prophesies that have come true to some extent or another… This room is especially important to us…”

The old orc tried to discern if Firnion comprehended any of what was being said. Risar nodded to Grak. Grak knelt in front of the boy and looked up into his eyes. “Firnion, we believe this room tells of a great leader who is to come. I know this may be hard for you to understand, but we believe that leader is you.” Before the boy could object, Grak continued… “I know what you are thinking… How could I be a leader? What makes them think that could be me? I think if you listen to the prophecy, you will better understand why we believe this prophecy to be speaking about you. Firnion, allow us to finally, once and for all, tell you the truth about yourself – at least as far as we know it.”

Firnion, barely grasping what was being said to him, muttered, “Alright, tell it to me.” Grak rose from his bended knee and turned the boy around to face the wall with the written prophecy on it as Risar began to recite it.

Look! The woman will conceive a child, but the father will never see it. She will give birth on the anniversary of the great leader’s death. The child, a boy, will call a stranger mother, for his true mother will die the night of his birth and the infant will be anointed in her blood. As he grows, he will call strangers his family and the one who murdered his mother—his friend.

Risar noticed the strange look on the boy’s face. “This, of course, means that an orc killed your mother and you have an orc as a friend. Not that any of us were the one that did the awful deed…” Hoping this would convince the boy, he quickly continued reading…

As he reaches adulthood, the boy will learn of the truth, but only a glimmer. For the past is unchangeable and uncertain, but his future is clear. The one who killed his mother will be at his side and will help him rise in power.

Risar stopped to explain. He easily lied to Firnion, “This we think means the weapon that Grak gave you. It was used to kill your mother and you will use it to defeat your enemies…” Risar thought to himself that it was becoming harder to explain certain things… Perhaps he should skip some parts – such as the part about his father and the part that claims his mother will come back to him. Risar didn’t like those parts anyway… He continued his recitation.

The anointed one will lead a people that is not his own. Though not an heir to any throne, he will unite the people of this land under one throne and will bring peace. He will break the chains of those who are oppressed and never again will the earth be stained by blood in war. The reign of his throne will never end and his kingdom will never be destroyed! Look! A king will die and the anointed one will begin his journey at the dawn of a new reign. Those who are trusted by him must help him, for if they do not, he will fall to the ruin of all. This is the child’s destiny.

Risar slowly walked around to face Firnion. He gave the boy a short time to think about all that was said, but he didn't want to give him too much time. "I know you must have many questions..." His voice faded as the boy interrupted...

((I borrowed some language from biblical prophecies for this one. I wanted it to sound ancient like that. So if it sounds kind of strange, that’s why… Dolen if you can think of anything I forgot to include in the prophecy, please let me know and I will edit it or maybe even keep it for a new post. I deliberately left out parts of the prophecy, because I believe that’s what an orc would do! Also, the ‘future’ part is really general specifically because this is an unscripted thread and I wasn’t sure about how to write a prophecy without turning it into a script!))

[Edited on 7/11/2005 by peonyfoxburr]
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2005 09:32
((sounds great, Peony.))

Firnion stared at the writing as the old orc began to recite. It all seemed so impossible, and yet...

Sivers ran down his spine as he realised what the orcs wanted of him. A leader? But he knew of no one else who would fit the prophecy. He ttok the knife out of the sheath and looked at it. A friend? How could it be? He vowed silently in his heart that he would see the blade cleansed,a nd brought to good in his mother's name.

His mother? A stranger? No, the woman in his dreams. It may have been a trick of his imagination, but he could see her in waking now, like an image in the corner of his eye or a dream when he closed his eyes. Her beautiful face was still sad, but strangely triumphant as she looked at... Grak? No, it was his silly imagination again. He shook his head sharply and turned back to the orc.

"I know you must have many questions..."

"What do you need me to lead for?" Firnion interrupted. "This prophecy may be true, as you say, (and in his heart he knew it was) but I know nothing of leadership. I am no great lord, or king (at this he remembered "heir to no throne") but I do wish for peace. But what orc ever wished for peace? nd even if you wish to support me, how can I end war hiding in a cave from my loved ones?"

He suddenly felt very ashamed, for the others had raised him, where else he would have died. And he repaid them with this. He promised to make it up for them. He would stop war and create peace for them, if no one else at least.

"I will lead you," he said after a pause. "But even the prophecy says I need help from those I trust. Very well, I trust you. What must I do?"
Rochellon
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2005 01:16
Tears still glistened on her cheeks when Lessien saw the riders in the distance. It had been near to an hour since she had left and she feared for her friend's lives, and most of all that of Firnion. Riding through the village, she had told them as fast as she could, and a few young men had left to help, but not enough and the village was too small to send more - after all, who knew where the orcs would strike next? Scrubbing her face, she kneed Emerwen to a canter, while trying to not look a madwoman. She saw the metal glistening and as she drew closer, her guess that these were the King's - Queen's now, she reminded herself - soldiers was confirmed. They are all alright, they survived the battle, she repeated to herself in a litany. Firnion!

"Soldiers," she said sitting straighter, "you must come with me! There has been an orc attack and my friends are outnumbered, if any have survived to this point, they will need aid, and medical assistance."

The commander of the group rode to face her, horse dancing as he pulled up. There was something familiar about him, Lessien thought. "Where, Lady? If it has been long, your friends, I fear...may no longer be with us."

"I know. But there is a child, too. They are good fighters, I believe they may have held out or been able to retreat. Will you follow me?"

He nodded, "Orcs are ever Gondor's enemies, as with the rest of the free peoples. It will be our duty and pleasure to rid the vicinity of a few more. Take us to them, my Lady."

Lessien recognized him now, he was the guard they had first seen on entering the White City and the palace at it's peak. Apparantly he knew how to do more than stand guard or he would not be here. So much the better, Lessien thought, to have someone with them she knew at least by sight. They set off back for the cave, at as fast a trot as the horses could maintain. Firnion...

~~*~~

Gil-Taur and the horsemen had nearly reached the village when they saw that riders were coming towards them. They recognized Lessien and the soldiers of Gondor.

"Mae govannen!" Gil-Taur greeted them.
"We are gald to see you alive. What has happened?" asked the captain.
Gil-Taur roughly explained the facts: "I suppose you know that we were searching for Firnion, adopted son of the queen. In a cave, which obviously had been inhabited by orcs, we were attacked by a group of them. They were waiting behind a secret door, so I think that they were ordered to block the way on. Your unit should be strong enough to defeat them, but I don't know if that will help us to find Firnion. If we want to find him, we don't have the time to search a whole maze of tunnels."
"I consider it to be my duty to destroy the gang of orcs. If you could tell me where to find them and how many they are..."
"Two of us are wounded, and all of us need rest. Please come to the village with us, there we can discuss everything."

The captain nodded and they rode on to the village. There they rested, it was taken care of the wounds and Gil-Taur, the captain and Lessien held council. They agreed that the orcs had to be fought to make sure that they won't become a threat to the people of the area.
"But I don't think that that is what I should do now", Gil-Taur said. "I have to find Firnion. I think it would be the best if you went on to fight the orcs, while Lessien and I go back to Minas Tirith. If we can find something that will help us, we will find it there."

~~*~~

Gil-Taur, Lessien and the two wounded soldiers had decided to stay in the village for the night and to return to the city the next day. In the evening Gil-Taur and Lessien were sitting in the garden of the inn they were staying at.

It could have been such a beautiful day, he thought as he watched the sunset, if we would not have these troubles! He thought his ideas over again. He tried to remember every detail of the night fifteen years ago. The man Naurind had met, his own feelings, and especially Rachel's last words: "Take care of him for me," she had whispered. "His destiny now lies in your hands. Don't fail him, or you fail the world." She had paused, gasping for breath, then had struggled on. "I name him my..." Then she had died before she could finish her sentence.

"Lessien, maybe we can find out what is special about Firnion", he said, "Some people seemed to know something like a prophecy about him. You know that an old man told Naurind that Firnion's survival was important, and Rachel seemed to know something as well. Usually prophecies are written down, although it might later be forgetten that they were. I hope to find something that can tell us about Firnion in the royal library of Minas Tirith."
Lessien sighted. "I hope you're right", she replied, "but I don't know what else we could do. It's just that I don't want to give up now, you know."
"I don't see any other hope. If we try to track orcs and Firnion through the maze of tunnels I expect behind the cave, it would be much more then luck to find him." He smiled as much as he could with these thoughts. "I also don't want to give up search, but I think we will more likely find him by reading the right books then by searching the Ephel Duath. If we have a hint in what he will be involved, we might be able to find him after he left the caves and tunnels."
"I this case I'll better go to bed now", Lessien said, "so that we can travel early tomorrow. Good night!" She stood up.
"Good night! May no dream of our troubles disturb your rest!" Gil-Taur answered. After Lessien had left, he watched the stars coming out, but soon we went to bed, too.
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2005 08:23
"How can I end war hiding in a cave from my loved ones?

Risar and Grak cringed at these words. The boy still had attachments to those he ran from... Grak would have to see to it that those attachments were broken or at least forgotten.

"I will lead you, but even the prophecy says I need help from those I trust. Very well, I trust you. What must I do?"

Firnion seemed to be resolute in his descision, but Grak was unsure how much the boy really trusted them. He questioned Firnion, "Do you really trust us? If you do, we can help you, but if not, it will be the ruin of us all." Firnion only looked at him more resolutely than before and Grak had his answer.

The ork nodded to Firnion, "All right. We will need to send word to the scattered orcs in this area. When they meet us, we won't have to prvoe that you are the one in the prophecy. They will know by your knife and because I will stand beside you." Grak glanced up at Risar. The old orc looked away. There was another sign that would be given in the crowd's sight. Then the old orc would no longer be in charge. Power would then fall to Firnion. Grak didn't mention this yet though...

He continued, "You needn't worry about what to do until then... You will know."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Garmak and Radak stood a distance away from the other three. Garmak seemed to listen with intensity and delight. However, Radak listened to all of it, the prophecy and all that followed, with contempt. He had wanted to kill the human since he had first seen it. Why were they trying to protect it and even stick their necks out for it?! They were going through a lot of trouble just to get this human child from his people and for what? That they should then follow it!

Radak thought to himself that if he had met this thing out in the wilderness he would have killed it and tasted its flesh... The thought of having this human in leadership above him made him sick. He had formulated a plan. He would volunteer to be the one to go to the orcs in the North. He knew once his friends heard what the others were planning, they would march with him and destroy the human thing and any orcs who were loyal to it...

His divisive thoughts were interrupted by Grak's words, "I will stand beside you." Radak felt sick again becuase Grak actually believed this human to be his leader... The boy began to walk around as Grak continued. Radak thought he saw the boy look at him. What was he doing? As he slowly walked toward Radak and Garmak, Radak began to feel very uneasy...
Timpenin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 24, 2005 09:10
Dawn sunlight slanted onto Lessien's face, making her scrunch her eyes and turn to the side before springing wide awake as memories of the previous day returned in a flood. Straightening her clothes, rather wrinkled from being slept in, she walked out into the main room, and found Gil-Taur already awake and most of the way packed.

"Here," he said, tossing her an apple and a piece of bread, "eat some breakfast before we head out. All that's left is getting our horses ready."

Lessien blushed a little at having made Gil-Taur do everything by sleeping so long. "All right, I'll grab the saddles."

Within half an hour, they were heading towards Minas Tirith again, cantering and then leading their horses at a trot by turns. "Why would orcs have a use for a human besides in a cookpot, do you think?" Lessien asked thoughtfully as the sun rose towards midday. "And if the orcs want him for some reason, how are we ever going to find that reason in the White City of all places? Be better to look among the ruins of Barad-Dur, I think." she finished sourly.

((OOC: sorry for the short post, have to start cooking for Thanksgiving dinner tonight))
Yavannildi and proud!
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2005 03:11
Firnion listened to the old orc, but suddenly his thoughts wandered and he saw his mother's beautiful face in his mind once again. Her face was grave, and still a little sad, but there was something more resolute now too.

"My child, my blessed one," she said. "I'm sorry I ever bore you for such a hard path. But, you are strong. I am with you."

Firnion had never felt so safe, so secure. He knew this was his destiny, and that meant he could do it.

"The knife you hold, my son, bears my own blood. The orc who killed me annointed you with my blood, for some evil purpose I do not understand. Whatever he meant, he did not intend to bond us in this way. You must never tell anyone of this, for surely they will kill you if they know. Now listen carefully. These foul beings will follow you, and be loyal. But they are an evil race, and not all mean well for you. As I protected you with my blood in life, still my blood of the knife will protect you after my death. Listen, and it will guide you. Do not fail, my son."

Her face faded, and Firnion knew it would be long, if ever, until he heard her sweet voice again.

Suddenly the knife in his hand gave a small tug. It was so slight that it might not have even been, but he knew it had. Looking down at the knife, he saw a small ray of light shoot from the unadorned handle. Looking around, he realised that none of the orcs could see it. Foloowing the light with his eyes, he saw that it landed on an orc near the back.

The orc was standing with a companion, but he did not seem to share in the same thoughts as the tohers. Firnion began to walk closer to get a closer look. Yes, there was definitely somehting in his eyes, the way he looked at the boy.

Before he fully realised what he was doing, he was almost level with the orc. Almost as on his own accord, the knife tilted up and slid smoothly into the chest of the orc, like a fish sliding through water. The orc's eyes widened in surprise, and then he stiffened and died.

Firnion backed up a couple steps, horror struck. He had never killed anything in his life, and he did not know why he did this time. At the same time, he felt a strange satisfaction, and a growing sense of safety and power.

He suddnely looked up to see Grak and Risar watching, an odd expression on their faces.
Rochellon
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 01:57
"Why would orcs have a use for a human besides in a cookpot, do you think?" Lessien asked thoughtfully as the sun rose towards midday. "And if the orcs want him for some reason, how are we ever going to find that reason in the White City of all places? Be better to look among the ruins of Barad-dûr, I think." she finished sourly.

Gil-Taur thought some time before he answered. "The answer to your first question is that I don't know it. And that's the reason that I want to go Minas Tirith: It's the only place where I hope to find something that may tell us. Do you remember what Rachel told us before she died? 'Don't fail him, or you fail the world', that's what she said. There were a lot of hints that Firnion will be someone special, and I heard that there is a prophecy about him. I hope to find this in the library. I don't know why I did not look it up earlier. Maybe then there would not be these troubles." He sighted. "But I we don't find anything, we can be faster at any place in Mordor then them. We do not have to hide."
Stridlas
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2005 07:32
((help! whats going on now? I am so sorry I was gone forever! when was the last time I posted? Can someone please tell me whats going on?))
Timpenin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 24, 2005 06:35
((Yay! Welcome back Basically, Firnion's gone with the orcs to a cave system and begun telling him lots of things about how he's important and so on that we don't know absolutely are true or not. He might be getting a power trip, he currently has the knife that killed Rachel, and he just killed an orc. As for the rest, we went in pursuit, thanks to Gil-Taur's use of the palantir, however ran into orcs at the caves and had to withdraw. We are now on our way back to Minas Tirith to see if we can find anything out about Firnion.

Is that about everything, guys?))
Yavannildi and proud!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email