Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Rochellon
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Child's Destiny
on: March 30, 2005 03:23
OOC: Dolenaglar asked me to write something to bring the introduction closer to an ending so that we can do the time-jump, so that's what I'm doing. If I've disturbed anyone's plans, please tell me!

They were all ready. Lessien and Rachel on Emmy, Naurind and Elana on their horses. Elana had the baby with her. Gil-Taur mounted his own black horse, Gwaeroch.

"Please, do lead the way!" Naurind said. Gil-Taur nodded, then looked at Lessien and Elana. "You two are only responsible for those you have with you. If we're attacked, flee! It's not cowardice, you have taken the duty to protect them, and only them."

Seeing that Naurind had gone to the back of the group, he went to the front and gave Gwaeroch the signal to trot fast. "Come on!"

He looked carefully to the front and the sides and avoided leading the group close to any things an enemy might be hiding in. Gil-Taur was riding as fast as possible in the dark and without tiring the horses too much. They didn't speak because any word could lead enemies to them. After roughly one hour, they reached a little river, fast, but not deep. "If they try to track us, this will give them some problems.", he told the others riding into the water and following it's way.

A few minutes later, the group came to a place where the other shore was stony. There they left the river, riding slowly to avoid hooveprints. Riding up a little slope, they came into the forest again, but here it was not as dark as before. There was less undergrowth and mainly beeches. The ground was soft and covered with dry leaves. "Do you think we can dare to gallop?" Gil-Taur asked the others. Naurind and Elana nodded. "Not too fast, or I won't be able to hold Rachel.", Lessien said.
A soft movement of Gil-Taur's legs made Gwaeroch accelerating a little and then shifting to gallop. The others followed. After galloping two miles, they had to slow down again. All of the horses had been ridden over long distances this day and had not had any sleep, like their riders, and were tired. But still they went on. The woods ended, they came to grassland with a few bushes, and the night became cold. Still they were riding on, Elana's raven following them.

At last they reached another river, bigger and deeper then the first one. Following it upwards, they soon came to a wooden bridge. By crossing it, the company arrived in a small village. At the same time, the sun rose in the east. They had been riding all night and even Gil-Taur, being an elf, felt tired. But before sleeping, they had to get help. He rode towards the first house and dismounted. His right hand at his sword's hilt, he knocked at the front door. At the same moment he saw a young woman coming out of another building, a stable full of cows to guess from the smell, with a bucket.

"Hello!", Gil-Taur called, "is there any healer near here or a least a place where a wounded woman can rest?"
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2005 03:56
((Thanks Rochellon; that's exactly what I meant))

With a pitied glance at Rachel, the girl nodded and led them through the city to a small hut. There was the cheery glow of candlelight in the windows, and the pace smelled fresh.

The girl knocked ont he door, then opened it and disappeared inside. Seconds later, she came out with an elderly man close behind her.

He didn't introduce himself, nor did he even so much as glance at the companions. Instead, he gently took Rachel in his arms and went back inside, beckoning them in.

He laid her on a bed, and looked her over briefly. Then he turned to her friends. A tear slid silently down his cheek.

"Welcome travellers," he said. "My name is Fluglafel, the Healer."

Some of them began to stammer out thanks for his care, but he silenced them with a hand.

"Your friend has been poisoned," he said "and I am afraid it is too late for her. I am sorry." Looking at their dismayed and tired faces, he added, "I can give her an herb so she can speak to you again and make her wishes known. Just know that she does not have much time left, so think of what you wsh to say."

He hurried over to a shelf and unstoppered a jar. He took out a silver leaf and crushed it in water, then bather her forehead in it. She moaned, and her eyes opened, obvioulsy in pain but also aware.

"This is where I leave you," said Fluglafel, and silently left the room.

((Sorry, I was going to end with this post but I thought I"d give everyone else a chance to say something before she dies.))
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2005 12:21
So it all wa in vain? Naurind thought in dismay. He was tired from the long ride, but he did realise that Lessien and Elana would be even more exhausted. They were the ones that were holding Rachel and her babe...

"Let me..." he said to Elana, took the baby from her and put his other arm around the girl's shoulders to support her a little. The infant was asleep, his tiny face careless and yet unformed features mild. It was a strange feeling - to hold a child... Naurind had not had many a chance to be around children, but he thought he might even like it... in time.

As Elana was the only one of the group Rachel really knew (or so he assumed), Naurind softly pushed her forward to the dying woman's bed, following her himself with the baby. Rachel's eyes seemed to see nobody but her child. She made a barely noticable movement with her hands, and Naurind hurried to put the baby in them. They were weak, so he had to wrap Rachel's hands around the infant for her, and to hold her like that. Elana sat down at the bed-side, while he remained standing, unable to say a single word. The others stood where they were - at the door.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Rochellon
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2005 12:35
OOC: Timpenin asked me to post also for Lessien.

Lessien stood in the narrow door, her arms too weak to raise even to brush away the hair fallen in her eyes, and bit her lip as the healer told them that the woman she had just held for the past few hours, the woman she had kept from falling as they sped down towards a healer, the woman she had supported and tried to spare every jolt possible far past the time when her arms burned from the strain - now she was told that this woman, her baby just born, would die?

Fluglafel gave her some herbs and then left, leaving them alone with Rachel, who was beginning to stir as the herbs took effect. Naurind and Elana moved to her side, placing the baby in her arms, helping her weak hands to hold him. Lessien wasn't even sure if Rachel realized others were there, for her eyes never moved from her child, and she smiled slighty as he stirred against her chest, apparantly not noticing that it was not her own strength keeping him there.

Gil-Taur stood next to Lessien, feeling terribly helpless. He had seen people die in battle, he had himself been rescued in the very last moment and had rescued others, but this was different. Even the fastest and most powerful attack would not rescue Rachel, and he was not a healer like Lord Elrond or King Elessar. He could do nothing. Tears started to roll down his cheeks and he made no attempt to hide them. But there was one thing he had to ask Rachel before the end, although he did not like to disturb and to worry her.

Lessien knew she could not simply remain in the door like this, watching as someone, even a someone she had only known for a few short hours, lay dying. She moved closer to the bed as Gil-Taur did the same, until she stood behind Elana; Naurind gave her an unreadable glance as she came beside him, but quickly turned his attention back to Rachel as she murmured something under her breath.

Gil-Taur threw a quick glance at Lessien, then knelt down beside the bed and looked into Rachel's face. "Your child", he said in a soft voice, "What is his name? What do you want us to do with him?"
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2005 08:59
Rachel suddenly was aware. She could see her companions clearly by her, but they seemed now to be far away, like a distant memory instead of the now.

"Your child," said Gil-Taur. "What is his name? What do you want us to do with him?"

Rachel tried to focus, knowing it was important. It was for her child. "Take care of him for me," she whispered. "His destiny now lies in your hands. Don't fail him, or you fail the world." She paused, gasping for breath, then struggled on. "I name him my..."

A fit of coughing overtook her, and a bloody froth rose to her mouth as the poison took over. She went rigind in agony, her mouth opening in a silent scream. Then her last breath went out, and the hands around the chid fell limp.

The company stood silent, tears streaming down their faces. Finally Elana, who had grabbed the babe during the convulsions lest he fall, looked at the tiny face. The eyes were open, and they gazed into hers with a seriousness that was unnatural. The baby hiccuped with a few tears too, though he could not truly know what had just happened.

"Well," said Elana. "I will take him as my own now, and be a mother to him."

That day the others vowed to care for the child as well, as family would.

So a destiny was wrought, and little did they all know what was truly in store for the crying babe they held.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Firnion sat atop his favorite hill, overlooking the village and gazing to Minas Tirith. He always liked to imagine the grand people who lived in such a beautiful city, and what they must be like. Surely nothing like the solid humble people he dwelt with. King Elessar probably knew nothing of working for a living or anything like that. He just got to sit up there in his fineries and tell other people what to do.

It must be nice.

Suddenly his eye caught on a figure walking up the path towards the village. Halfway up, she stood to wait for an elf coming from the other direction. Upon meeting, they embraced and continued on.

As they got closer he could see their features, and suddenly leapt up and ran down the hill to meet them. "Lessien! Gil-Taur!" he shouted. "You came! Naurind is already here with mother. Did you know that I am fifteen today?"

((Just a reminder- he thinks Elana is his mother, does not speak Elvish, and knows nothing of the truth.))
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2005 10:44
"Very quiet here," Naurind said looking out of the kitchen window to the green plains that seemed to stretch as far as the chain of small hills that blocked the view of the White City.

He wasn't really expecting an answer and turned his back onthe sight. The kitchen was filled with wonderfull smells. This felt like home. One could feel a woman's hand here. And there was a woman. Naurind stood for a moment watching the beautiful young woman that he had once long ago met as a girl, barely out of her childhood. Elana was busy with something thet should in the end look like a cake, but Naurind wouldn't bet on that. He had never been too good at guessing what a meal should look like in the end. He took five plates out of kitchen shelf and took them to the living room next to te kitchen. It felt awkward somehow, to be serving the table in his parade uniform of a Captain of the King's cavalry, but he knew the boy would be happy to see him wearing it.

"So," he said returning to the kitchen, "how have you been lately? I haven't seen you in a month... Both of you," he corrected himself.

(OOC: I thouoght it obvious that a meal would be being prepared for the party, so I took the iniciative to open the post likt this. If any of you had something different on mind and have me correct this post - feel free to tell me so!)
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Rochellon
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2005 08:56
Gil-Taur slowly walked up the path leading towards the village Elana and Firnion lived in, followed by Gwaeroch, who sometimes left the path to eat and then galloped to catch up. The village was build in the lower parts of the mountains, but you still had to go a good bit of way upwards to reach it. Gil-Taur had chosen a way that was steep, but beautiful. There were some trees on the hills and many flowers all around, and Gwaeroch seemed to like some of them especially.
Looking upwards, Gil-Taur noticed Lessien standing at the point where the small path joined the main way. She was obviously waiting for him. Walking faster, Gil-Taur soon reached her.

Shading her eyes against the sun, Lessien watched as an indistinct figure followed by a horse drew closer to where she stood at the crossroads leading up to a small house. She knew he would look not a hair different from the night she had met him, fifteen years ago; she just wished she could say the same of herself. Long miles of road lay under her feet--well, Emerwen's hooves, really. Her hair was the same brown, but here and there a silver thread shined in the sunlight, and there were fine lines around her eyes and mouth that spoke of wrinkles to come in another few years. She almost reached out a hand to pat Emerwen, then remembered that she had left her in village at the inn where she was staying, preferring to use her own legs on such a fine day. The mare was getting old too, Lessien thought sadly, she hadn't truly wanted to gallop in years and Lessien knew that soon she would have to leave her at her family's farm to live out her last days. As she drew her hand back in, she looked at it absently, turning it over and flexing the fingers. Her hands were the only thing that looked much the same as they had when she had been younger, joints still flexible from daily use and skin supple from the cream she used--it was expensive, but her hands were her life.

"Mae govannen!", he said, embracing her. "Good to meet you again!", Lessien replied.

~~*~~

"Any new exciting adventures from our intrepid minstrel?" he asked jokingly as they began walking together towards the house. Lessien answered and they talked back and forth about their journeys. She and the elf had been friends since that eventful night, though it had started simply enough. With Elana raising the child, the others had been free to continue their lives once the decision had been made to raise him near Minas Tirith, under the protection of Naurind, and sheltered by the strong hand of King Elessar.

Though all had helped to settle the new family down, Gil-Taur had invited Lessien to come with him back to Rivendell to learn of Elvish music, which she had gladly accepted. She had stayed there, almost entranced by the beautiful Elven style, drinking it up with Gil-Taur's help. When she had finally left, they had become fast friends--he had even come with her on her large rounds through the county occasionally, joining her wherever she played and leaving after a few days. They both continued to make Minas Tirith a regular stop, checking in at least once a year as young Firnion grew.

~~*~~

Lessien glanced at Gil-Taur with a puzzled look, "But I don't understand, wha--"
Suddenly, a tall young man lept into her arms, greeting them with youthful excitement and making sure that neither of them had forgotten his birthday.

"Lessien! Gil-Taur!" he shouted. "You came! Naurind is already here with mother. Did you know that I am fifteen today?"

"Why do you think we are here, silly?" Lessien said, and reached out to ruffle his hair as he jerked away quickly. He hadn't let her actually get away with it since he was 11, but it still remained an ongoing joke between them.

"Of course we could not forget your birthday!" Gil-Taur said, "You've grown really fast." He thought of how he had met Firnion and his real mother at night and how she had died: I just hope he will not end like that!

Turning his thoughts away from sorrow, he said, "Come on! I'm sure your mother is waiting for us." Gil-Taur smiled at Lessien as he saw how happy the boy was. She smiled back. Together, the three of them walked on. After a short time Gwaeroch approached, circled them and then galloped towards Elana's house.

As Naurind looked out of the kitchen window once more, he saw the black horse he had seen the first time in a night 15 years ago standing outside. Elana had also noticed it. "They will be here soon", she said and was right about it: Less then five minutes later, there was a knock at the door.

[Edited on 5/4/2005 by Rochellon]
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2005 06:48
Firnion rushed into Lessien's arms, happy to see his aunt and uncle. Not even noticing the shadow that passed momentarily across Gil-Taur's face, he turned back around. "Race you up the hill!" he said, and dashed off ahead of them.

The table was set when he got there, and he rushed inside. "Mother, it's wonderful!" he said. He stood politely and waited for his guests to finish puffing up the hill and seat themselves.

While he was waiting his mind drifted back to a dream he had had the night before. Come to think of it, many other nights as well. It always involved the same woman. She was strikingly beautiful, with violet eyes and reddish curls. Her curls were very like his own, in fact. But the main thing he noticed was her ears.

"Mother," he blurted. "Why are your ears pointed? Uncle Gil-Taur's are as well, but Lessien's aren't and neither are mine. Why is that?"

An akward silence suddenly struck the room, and he cringed inside, fearing he had somehow hurt the one woman who had shown him such love his whole life.
Stridlas
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2005 04:43
((Sorry I've been MIA latley, alittle busy, I have an english project due monday and am finishing it this afternoon, that may free up my time a little.I'm not sure if this is right, let me know if something is wrong.))

"My ears?"Elana said sounding a little surprised. She knew the questions would come one day. After all, her dad would die soon and she would have to assume place as rightful queen of gondor but, she was not prepared just yet. She looked around at Lessien and Gil-Taur. "Well, I'm half elven." She said not lieing. Just because she was half elven doesn't mean Firnon would have pointed ears. She thought it was best to consult Lessien and Gil-Taur before telling the child he was not acctually her son. "Lunch is served" Elana brought the meal she had prepared to the table."Eat up." after they were finished eating, Elana said,"Why don't you run along and play while I talk with you aunt and uncle."
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2005 07:43
Firnion opened his mouth to ask more questions, but seeing the expressions around him changed his mind and walked outdoors. Wandering down the path, he let his mind wander as well, pondering. Why had his mom never told him she was half-elven? It made sense his ears might not be like hers.

Confused, he sat down on a rock and stared out listlessly. There was Minas Tirith in the distance, magnificent and royal. Far below he could see the dust tracks of a horseman, riding hard.

Suddleny a rustle nearby made him turn. He squinted and peered into the bushes, trying to discern what kind of animal had made the noise.
Stridlas
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2005 01:31
"When can we tell him?" Elana asked after she saw that Firnon had made a safe distance away."It's not like I can stay like this forever, My dad is old. Mortals will not live forever and I will need to assume the throne when he dies." Elana looked conserened at her old friends.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2005 07:10
Naurind put his both elbows on the table and rested his chin in his hands. This was his usual pose when he was thinking about something hard.

"It would be easier for him not to be striken with all the information, along with the inevitable changes in his life and surroundings when the time comes to move to the White City..." the Captain was thinking aloud. "On the other hand - the boy wouldn't accept to be told just a part of the story."

He stood up and walked to the window. Firnion's slender frame disappeared around the corner.

"What worries me more," he turned to his friends, "is what we don't know about him. The old man that urged me to follow Rachel and save her and the boy looked like he knew something of a great importance. Unfortunately he had already deceased when I went to see the man again, and I couldn't get my answers. WHy was he so important and what did Rachel fail to say to us? He looks so much like her... And still - so different...."
In the Realm of Ulmo
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2005 08:34
((I hope you don't mind this Dolen. If you do, I will of course edit or delete the post. ))

Grak had watched from the bush as everyone went inside for the party. Firnion seemed to be just another normal human child, but Grak knew better. He was anointed for darker purposes. Grak dared to get closer. He wanted to hear what was going on inside, but before he could move, Firnion came rushing outside.

He seemed to be disturbed by something. He was deep in thought. He walked down the path right past the bush where Grak hid. Grak turned slowly to better see him as he sat on a rock and looked out into the distance. Firnion froze and turned as the bush betrayed Grak noisily.

The boy looked at the bush and got up from the rock to come closer. Grak trying his best to make his voice sound less orkish whispered to him from the bush, "Hello my dear boy..."

Firnion jumped at the voice, but did not run or even appear afraid. Instead, he was very curious. "Who are you?"

"I am a friend, but only to you. If you tell anyone else I am here, I will leave." Grak was hoping to appeal to the boy's sheltered sense of curiosity. "Do you promise to keep my presence a secret?"
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2005 09:42
((That works evilly perfect.))

Firnion thought about this. The person could be dangerous, but he did want a friend. If his new friend was shy, what could it do? Elana had never let him mix with the village children, so he was used to no comanionship outsides the adults in his "family."

Besides, this person intrigued him. He decided to play his game.

"Of course. I am good with secrets."

At that moment, the sound of hooves became strong around the bend of the road. A herald on a strong horse rode up and stopped in front of Firnion, who was quickly back on his feet.

"Where is the Lady Elana?" The herald asked, urgently. Firnion pointed back to the cottage, and the herald spurred his horse in the direction and was gone.

"What a birthday," Firnion muttered. "Well friend," he said. "I have to go now. Will I hear from you again?"
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2005 01:51
Grak shrunk back even further as he heard the hooves approaching. "Will I hear from you again?"

"Yes. You will, but remember not to tell anyone. You know how your mother doesn't like for you to meet new people. She worries about you too much..." Grak waited to see if he had stepped over the line with that last comment.

Firnion's face seemed to indicate he had hit a nerve, but the boy didn't protest. He knew there was truth in it. Grak continued, "I hope you have a good birthday... Will you meet me here after everyone has gone to sleep?"
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2005 03:05
"Of course. But I have to go now, friend." Firnion looked back to the cottage, and wihout a further word turned and ran, his curiosity afire.

He approached the door, then paused. He did not like to eavesdrop, but he liked even less to burst in when he didn't know what was happening. Through the door, he could hear the herald speaking.

"King Aragorn has died," he said. 'Lady, Elana, you must come to Minas Tirith at once. No delay."

Firnion, wondering, took a deep breath and stepped through the door.
Rochellon
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2005 02:39
Lessien watched worriedly as Firnion went out the door; she hoped the way all the adults around him had suddenly gone silent would more or less slip above his head. The boy was smart, he could deduce more from something than most others his age--he had quick fingers on the lute as well, Lessien thought approvingly--but she devoutly hoped he would think no more of it than any other time elders went silent around children. Lessien wished, though, that this had occurred on some other day than his birthday.

As soon as Firnion was out of earshot, the others began discussing what to do next; Lessien absently picked up her own lute, sitting close by and began plucking it softly while she listened.

"What worries me more," Naurind said "is what we don't know about him. The old man that urged me to follow Rachel and save her and the boy looked like he knew something of a great importance. Unfortunately he had already deceased when I went to see the man again, and I couldn't get my answers. Why was he so important and what did Rachel fail to say to us? He looks so much like her... And still - so different...."

Lessien thought for a minute, fingers moving over the polished wood of her instrument--it was a song, but her mind was too preoccupied to decide which it was. "It is true that we cannot hope to learn what Rachel and this man knew any longer, but...." She turned to Elana, "As you and Naurind have said, Firnion cannot stay here forever, and you yourself will have duties to assume as well. But could not your parents help us, at least until we know more? Surely somewhere in Minas Tirith there will be someone or something to help us." She looked around at the others in the room as they thought over what she had said. "It is only one suggestion; I am sure there are many other paths we can take as well."

Gil-Taur had been mostly silent this afternoon, but now he spoke, calm, but it could be heard that what he said was important to him. "You all know it makes no sense to hide his secret forever. Elana, think of your father! He was told his secret when he was a little older then Firnion is today. I know what all of you think now. Aragorn's secret was known. But the only possibility to find Firnion's is he himself. I think it's the right time to tell him who he is. It might even be dangerous to further hide the secret: He will find more and more things that do not fit to him being Elana's son and us his relations. Can you tell what he will do to find the truth? Tell him the truth or he will loose trust in you. If we tell him the truth now, he will understand we could not do so earlier because of his age. This way he'll continue to trust us, so that we can still protect him. Remember what Rachel told us: 'His destiny now lies in your hands. Don't fail him, or you fail the world.' I have brought him a special present for his birthday and will give it to him as soon as he returns, if you have no serious objections: A fine sword, forged this year for him in Rivendell by a friend of mine. He is old enough for that, I think, and for the truth as well."
Stridlas
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2005 07:58
When the herald had knocked on the door it was Elana who had let him in."King Aragorn has died.Lady elana you must come to Minas Tirith at once." Shelooked at them."When Firnon comes back you bring him to Minas Tirith and meet me at the castle, we will tell him then." Elana grbbed her sword and left with the herald.
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2005 03:44
Firnion was almost knoced over by Elana and the hearld leaving the cottage. Elana barely seemed to even notice him as she swept by, a terrible look on her face. He dashed into the hut, finding the others waiting for him.

He felt cheated. Nobody looked happy. This was not how birthdays were supposed to go.

"Where is mother going?" he frantically asked.
Rochellon
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2005 10:53
When he had heard that King Elessar had died, Gil-Taur had stood silent. He had known that this would happen soon, but he had not realized what it really meant. Now he was both shocked and yet calm, not knowing what to do. He remembered what his grandfather had told him of Beor the Old, the chief of the first humans in the west: "When he died, we saw for the first time the quick fading of human life, and it seemed strange to us." Now Firnion stood in front of them, wondering what was going on.

"Where is mother going?" Firnion looked utterly confused and close to crying. Lessien put her lute down and gave him a hug--he was nearly as tall as she now, she noticed again, amazed as always--she wished yet again that this had not happened on his birthday. And soon there would be more to tell him... Setting him at arm's length from her, she tried to make her voice as smooth and calm as possible.

"Elana has gone to Minas Tirith, there have been... events that she must attend to. I'm sorry she left without saying goodbye to you, but she asked that you meet here there." Firnion's eyes lit up when she mentioned the White City. "Now how is that for a birthday treat?" There was no use in mentioning the very serious reason for Elana's abrupt departure, not now, when such explanation would surely raise more questions then it laid to rest. "Now, how quickly do you think you can be ready, hmm? You don't want to miss a minute in the City, I shoudn't think!" Firnion grinned, a mere shadow of his distress still lingering in his eyes. Lessien was sure he knew that there was something deeper, but she hoped he had at least taken the worry off of his mind for now, however short "now" was.

"I'll be ready in five minutes," he called, running into his room. Lessien looked around at the others still in the room, their expressions varied, but worry tinged them all and she was sure it did her own as well.

Gil-Taur felt relieved that he had not had to explain everything to Firnion. But at least he now knew what to do: He went over to his bag which he had left in a corner. Out of it he took what looked like folded cloth but was in fact a short sword, sharp at both edges, made of elven steel and in a beautiful sheat. The sheat was black, with silver and green leaf-like ornaments and silver runes, saying "Edraith bragol, sword of Firnion, son of Rachel" for those who could read them. The hilt was made of black wood and the same steel as the blade. To protect it from damage, everything was wrapped in black cloth.

Gil-Taur unwrapped it and put the cloth into his bag. Then he put on his cloak, took the bag on his back and waited for Firnion to come back.

OOC: "Edraith bragol" means "sudden rescue" - I thought that might fit to Firnion's life. At least he was rescued.
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2005 12:56
Firnion came back in a very short amount of time, puffing. He did not say what he had heard at the door, because he (ironically) did not want to distress his guardians. He had very few possesions, and carried them over his back.

"The White City!" he shouted. "I'm off to see marvelous people and noble lords and ladies. What a birthday!'

With that he skittered out the door and stood ready.

-------------------------------------------------------------

It was a short journey, but long to poor Firnion. By the end of the day, his sense of adventure had wandered off with the feeling in his rump, and he was ready to stop riding and sit on solid ground.

At last they were there, and his eyes opened in awe and wonder at the Great City before him.
Rochellon
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2005 09:39
Firnion came back in a very short amount of time, puffing. He had very few possessions, and carried them over his back. "The White City!" he shouted. "I'm off to see marvelous people and noble lords and ladies. What a birthday!" With that he skittered out the door and stood ready.

"As soon as we are in the city with Elana, you will be told an important secret", Gil-Taur said, holding the sword in it's sheath out to him. "Take this as a sign that you are old enough now to learn the secret. I will teach you how to use it when we have the time." He helped Firnion to fasten the sheath with the sword at his girdle. "Do not worry! Have some patience and remember: We will help you whenever you need us", he added, noticing a flash of worry on Firnion's face.

Lessien and Naurind had used the time to get some provisions and their own bags. They locked the door, fetched the horses and off they went.

~~*~~

They reached Minas Tirith at sunrise. Trumpets sounded, the gate was opened and everything was bright, but Gil-Taur felt that the people in the city were sad. The King's banner was veiled with black cloth. Firnion looked as if he could not believe that anything could be as big and beautiful as the White City was. Gil-Taur said to him "I hope you will enjoy your stay here!" as they rode through the gate. And I am afraid he will be shocked soon, he thought, thinking of what they would have to tell Firnion.

[Edited on 19/4/2005 by Rochellon]
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2005 10:09
Grak watched as the herald and the half elven rode away. Then minutes later the rest of the group rode off. Grak hurriedly followed. Though they were on horses, Grak kept up quite nicely. An ork could run on for hours without tiring or rather without caring about being tired. He watched for some way to get the boy away from the group, but there was none.

Grak stopped following just before the first watchtower of the White City - that wretched site. From what he could see, the city was in mourning! So that is why the horseflesh heir rode off so quickly. The king was dead! Grak could hardly contain his delight. The one who had ruthlessly killed so many of his own kind was dead.

Then a horrible thought crossed Grak's evil mind. They were going to tell the boy. At least if they ever planned on telling him, they would have to do it now. Elana would take the throne. They would at least have to tell him why. Then for practical reasons, they would have to explain why he was not the next heir to the throne...

Grak had to find some way to get to the boy before he found out... He quickly back-tracked his steps and went to find someone who could help him...
Rochellon
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2005 09:26
For Lessien, the ride to the city had allowed her time to think, and absorb the news that she had thought would somehow never come. King Elessar and Queen Arwen were the only rulers of Gondor she had ever known, and neither her parents nor even her grandparents had known any differently. Her grandfather told her stories told by his grandfather of days when Gondor had no King, when the now near-legendary Eomer was banished, and when the alliance between Rohan and Gondor had been weak. Her teacher had sung them to her, as she now sang them; indeed, many were of King Elessar. And now this great man was dead.

Gil-Taur had similar thoughts. He had seen how Elessar had been brought to Rivendell as a child. He had not known him as well as Elrond had known him, but he had sometimes followed little groups of elves and rangers led by him and the sons of Elrond. He had not been involved in the War of the Ring, but he had visited Gondor several times and seen the White Tree. Now Elessar, the greatest man of this age of the world, had died. Another thought came into his mind: What does Arwen feel like now? Thinking of her, he remembered the songs he had heard and sung about Lúthien and how she had chosen mortality to be with Beren. Their grand-daughter, Elwing, wife of Eärendil and mother of Elrond and Elros, had chosen the life of the Eldar, as well as her husband and Elrond. Elros had chosen the life of a king of men. When he had died, he was 900 years old. Which way will Aragorn's and Arwen's children choose? The kingdom of men, with all it's glory, or immortality? He started to sing the song of Beren and Lúthien with low voice.

~~*~~

Lessien bowed her head as they rode up the long winding road to the highest peak of the city, passing through each gate in turn until they came to the entrance of the tunnel that led to the courtyard. Glancing around, she saw Firnion sitting in wide-eyed amazement, leaning slightly forward on his horse. A guard came forward from his post, everything shined and in place, but with the same air of melancholy that was almost palpable around all of the city's inhabitants.

"What business do you have here in this time of grief, travellers? Think not to come with petitions for--for King Elessar, for he...." The man gestured to the banner swathed in black and turned his head aside. Naurind booted his horse forward and dismounted to stand in front of the man, who looked up and saluted, recognizing the uniform and marks of rank.

"We seek Lady Elana, soon to be Queen. We are her companions and were asked to follow after her with all speed." He placed a hand on the guard's shoulder, saying in a voice thick with his own sadness, "The best thing now is for you to honor your post and your King to the utmost of your ability. I am no less affected than you."

The guard pointed towards a door near the tunnel entrance. "Go there and someone shall find you rooms, and I shall find someone to stable your horses. Lady Elana will be informed of you arrival."

"Thank you," Naurind replied, motioning to the others to dismount, "I shall remember you, soldier."

"Thank you, Captain." The man saluted sharply, then took the reins of their horses and began to lead them away as Lessien and the others followed Naurind through the door.
"Follow him to the stables! I shall see you later", Gil-Taur told Gwaeroch before going away.

Behind the door was a room for the guards. Naurind talked to their captain, and he told one of them to lead them through the tunnel and into the citadel. As they left the tunnel, Lessien gasped in awe. She had been to Minas Tirith many times, but never here, and there, directly in the center of the courtyard, stood the White Tree in all its glory, pale branches seeming near to golden in the morning light.

OOC: I hope it's OK that I go this much ahead.
Stridlas
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2005 04:08
When Elana had arrived in the white city so had her older brother and younger sisters. They were being talked to now by Arwen and Elrond. They were being told that they now had a choice to make."You now have to choose to become immortal or the life of men. The first will be you, Being the oldest." Elrond told her older brother which meant, she was second to choose."Imortallity." Was all her brother said, he sounded greif stricken. "I would rather be queen of gondor then be an elf." She had not meant for it to sound the way it came out but, Elrond and Arwen overlooked her lapse in thinking on acount of her father's death. They knew that Elana had been the closest of the children to her father. Her younger sisters chimed "Imortality," after she had chosen the life of men.
As soon as they had been dismissed Elana was summoned again to go to meet her friends. She had not relized howlong the meeting had taken and her friends had already arrived and were waiting for her. She met them in a room. "Good morro" Elana was unsure what time of day it was."Did you have a good journey Firnon?" She looked at the boy."I'm going to be queen of gondor because my dad, King Aragorn has just died. I will answer any question you might have." Elana did not want to tell him anything he didn't want to know.
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2005 07:32
((Dolen, I hope this is okay...))

Grak found the closest thing he called a friend. It was a crow called Dreima. He told his plot to him and the bird flew as fast as he could to the White City. He saw the boy with the others just as Grak had described. They were taken into a room.

Dreima waited to see when the boy would walk away from the others so he could tell him Grak's message. However, only a short while later a tall woman went into the room. Dreima perched on the roof just above the window to hear what was going on...

The woman said, "I'm going to be queen of Gondor because my dad, King Aragorn has just died. I will answer any question you might have."

Dreima realized that the boy could learn the truth at any moment. He seemed ready to pose a question, but Dreima began to squak noisely. Firnion became distracted by the loud bird flying just outside the window. Then he flew in and around the room once. As Dreima flew next to Firnion, he looked straight into his eyes and whispered only loud enough for him to hear, "Follow..."
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2005 11:11
Firnion was intrigued by the big bird, but thinking that it might me his new "friend" trying to find him, he felt it wise not to do anything too suspicious.

Turning to Elana, he said, "I have much to think about from everything. I ask only a little time (glancing at the other two) by myself. I promise I will not stray far."

And without waiting for permission, he turned on his heel and walked out after the bird.

((Perfect, Peony)
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2005 07:34
Dreima heard the boy's promise not to stray far. He hoped he wouldn't mind breaking that promise. Dreima's message was to ask him to meet Grak outside the city.

Dreima flew down the road and kept looking down to make sure the boy was keeping up with him. He flew over an alley and perched on a low wall at the end of it. Dreima waited until Firnion had come around the corner and approached him. "I am Dreima. I carry a message for you from a friend. Will you hear it, boy?"

Firnion straightened his back at being called 'boy.' "My name is Firnion and yes, I will hear your message."

Dreima motioned with his wing for Firnion to come closer. Dreima spoke softly, "A friend of yours, I imagine you know of whom I am speaking, wishes you to meet him outside the city gate tonight after your traveling companions have gone to sleep.

He asks that you tell no one of the meeting and that you make sure you are not followed. This is very important. Do you understand? As a token of trust, he has asked me to give you his name. It is Grakion. You may call him Grak. What say you? Shall I tell him you will come?"

[Edited on 21/4/2005 by peonyfoxburr]
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2005 08:17
Firnion thought a moment, and then said, "Yes." He thought that Grak was a very odd name, but he did not say so out loud.

The bird appeared satisfied with his message, and winged his was silently away. Firnion returned to his caretakers, thinking hard. They were waiting anxiously when he came back, but he did not know what questions Elana had wished him to ask. Was there something more she was keeping from him?

Seeing her, he ran up and gave her a big hug. "I am sorry about your father. I don't know why you never told me about who he was, but I wish you long and peaceful reign while you sit in his place." He then turned from her and sat in a corner, lost in thought.

The others seemed grey and grief-stricken, too, but he felt no mourning in his heart. King Elessar was said to be a great ruler, but Firnion had never known anything of his greatness. To him he was just another distant noble, a legend.

He still did not wish to intrude upon the other's grief with foolish questions. He wished night would fall wuickly so he could go confide in his new friend.
Rochellon
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2005 02:28
They had met Elana in a little room. "I'm going to be queen of Gondor because my dad, King Aragorn has just died. I will answer any question you might have", she said to Firnion. In this moment a crow came in through the window, and Firnion followed it outside.

"Elana, that is not right! We have to tell Firnion the whole truth!" Gil-Taur said angrily, "How can he ask properly if he does not now what to start with?" Lessien nodded and looked up. "This bird is making me nervous", she said. Gil-Taur agreed. "I did not feel well in it's presence."

He went to a table, took a piece of paper and a pen out of his bag and started to draw on it. Lessien looked at the paper and immediately recognized the face Gil-Taur was drawing: It was Rachel's.

~~*~~

After some time, Firnion came back. He hugged Elana and sat down in a corner. Gil-Taur asked him to come over to the table at which he and Lessien were sitting. Firnion came, although he did not seem very interested.

Gil-Taur asked Firnion to sit down. Standing in front of him, Gil-Taur placed one hand on Firnion's shoulder. Firnion looked up in surprise. Gil-Taur's face was calm but serious. Then he started to tell what he had to. "It will be a shock for you to hear this. I wanted Elana to tell you, but it is very difficult for her, so I have to", he said. Then he carefully pronounced every word: "Elana is not you mother. Your real mother died few hours after you had been born, and we took care of you as well as we could."

Firnion looked as if he could not believe this. His whole body trembled. "But..." He could not say more. Lessien hurried over to him and put her arm around him. "I'm so sorry for you! But we had to tell you."
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2005 06:37
Lessien tried to put her arm around him in comfort, but Firnion wanted none of it. He stood up, backing away from them.

"You lied to me! How could you do that? You should have told me." He pointed a trembling finger at Elana. "Calling yourself my mother! Couldn't you have said caretaker or something?" He stared around him in horror. "I'm not related to any of you, am I?"

They stood speechless, but the looks on their faces confirmed it. Firnion felt an inexplicable rage growing in him, as well as a sudden sense of loss. Suddenly he saw the picture Gil-Taur had drawn.

"How do you know her?" he demanded. "Who is she?" It was the same woman he had seen so many times in his dreams.

((Yes, I know he's a bit overdramatic. He's fifteen and overwhelmed.))
Rochellon
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2005 08:59
"This is your real mother", Gil-Taur replied, "I have drawn this for you."
He picked up the paper and handed it to Firnion, bowing slightly.
"Her name was Rachel. Elana, you have been in all of it. Please tell him!"

OOC: Sorry, I haven't time for more now.

[Edited on 22/4/2005 by Rochellon]
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2005 04:20
Dreima flew swiftly to Grak. He perched just above his head in a tree. Grak moved his gaze from the city. "What did he say?"

"The boy will meet you if he can, and I hope he can... if he is who you say he is." Dreima moved out on a branch next to Grak. "Do you realize your part in this? If he is to become who we hope he will, you will have to guide him."

The hooded ork looked up at him. "I need you to make sure he can get here. Fly to him and see what is going on. If there is trouble, help him find me."

Without a word, Dreima flew off at once. He flew fast and silent over the city so as not to bring attention to himself. He perched above the same window as before. Dreima had come just in time to hear Firnion's outburst. "You lied to me!... I'm not related to any of you, am I?... Who is she?"

"This is your real mother... Her name was Rachel." Dreima was disappointed. Grak had told him of his plans to tell the boy himself. Those plans would have to be changed, but judging from the boy's reaction to the news. Perhaps this change wasn't so bad...

Dreima waited to hear what happened next...
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2005 05:06
Firnion had gone very pale. His hand shook as he held up the drawing. Visions passed through his head of the beatiful face, the one he had seen so many times in his dreams. He could almost hear her voice, saying, "My dear son..."

He shook his head, and the vision faded. "Please leave me alone," he said quietly. "I thank you for what you have done. But leave me alone for now, I beg you."

The others stood silent for a minute, and then silently they left. Firnion sat with his head bowed, and slowly the sun sank down and out of sight.

There were no sounds of movement around him, when he slowly looked up. He saw the same bird on the sill, and remembered his promise to his "friend." He stood up with sudden hope in his face. He could tell his friend about it, and his friend would not be in on any secrets about himself. That was what he would do. And then he could make up with Elana and feel better.

"Well," he said to the waiting bird. "Where am I to go?"
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2005 01:25
((I hope you don't mind me playing your character a little, Dolen to get him to the meeting...))

Dreima waited till the others left. Then he rested on the window sill and watched the boy with his head down for what seemed like a very long time. Whatever was happening within Firnion was important. Dreima imagined a lot of questions were being asked and with each new questions about his past and his supposed 'family,' Dreima also imagined his heart hardened a little towards them.

Dreima was not as cold-hearted as an ork. He had children of his own and so this hurt him a little, but he distanced himself from it because he knew it was an important step in the young boy's destiny. Firnion slowly lifted his head and looked at Dreima for a moment. Then said, "Well, where am I to go?"

Dreima simply instructed him, "Follow me." He waited until Firnion was outside then winged his way down streets slowly at first, but then faster until the boy was running. He stopped suddenly perched on a bench next to the outside wall.

"Firnion, follow this wall until you get to the gate. When you get there wait until you see me. Then, you'll have to try to go through without being seen by anyone. After that, you will not have me as a guide... I will fly ahead of you to let Grak know you are on your way. He will be about a ten minute's walk directly in front of the gate."

Without asking if Firnion understood, Dreima quickly shot upward and flew away. Firnion made his way to the gate and waited. He didn't have to wait long. He saw Dreima fly toward the guard on duty. The bird nearly knocked the soldier from his post. He flew around him distracting him even more until Firnion was through the gate. After he saw that Firnion was out of sight, he flew off quickly leaving the guard thoroughly confused.

He headed straight for Grak and even saw Firnion on his way there. He had to hurry; the boy was making quicker time than he had thought. When he reached the same tree as earlier, Grak was there waiting for him seemingly unmoved from his previous spot. Grak asked, "Is he on his way?"

"Yes, he is, but there is something I have to tell you. They already told him about his mother. They did not tell him any details, but I found out her name was Rachel. Judging from his reaction, he's pretty angry with them all right now."

"That works out perfectly," Grak said with a crude smile across his face. Dreima grimaced a little when he saw the smile, if you could call it that. Wanting no more to do with this 'meeting,' he said, "Call for me when you are finished. I will be close by. Until then, I leave you to your 'friend.' Here he comes."

Grak turned to look and saw Firnion coming from a distance. He put his hood over his head covering his face and waited. When he approached, Firnion stayed in the moonlight away from the tree. He paused with his hands on his knees to catch his breath. Then he looked up. Grak offered a greeting, "Hello friend! I am glad you could meet me here. How is your trip going so far to the Great City?"

[Edited on 22/4/2005 by peonyfoxburr]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email