Register

<< First910111213
Author Topic:
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: KEEP: Time Warp in Wales
on: January 07, 2006 10:00
Cir reached for Falmiel's hand, bending his head to place a kiss on the back of it. "I'm glad you are with me, love, though you know I would have preferred you remain where it is safe. If we can all return alive and well, I will feel much better." He smiled his love to her, then asked, "It's not too late, are you certain you will not return to Imladris?"
For a moment Falmiel had to struggle for control. Would he be asking her this question for the rest of the journey. She had thought it all through and she had not left Imladris lightly. Yet even Elrond had admitted that the call had been too strong to be ignored. She sighed, then said gently, looking Cir deep into the eyes, "Don't ask that question anymore. I have made a choice and I will not revise it. The only way I will return to Imladris is with you, melamin. So think of the journey and the task ahead and do not trouble yourself with trying to send me away. And," she smiled at him, " even though you might not believe it, I can very well defend myself."

They rode along in silence until Ceindra rode up to them, suggesting to look for a place to stop. Cir sent her and the boy Thad to look for a suitable place.

After a short ride, they came upon Ceindra and Thad, next to a small trickling spring which was just off the road, where Thad was collecting small bits and pieces of wood for the fire. The group dismounted and began to set up a campsite. Cir walked over to Curulindel, speaking quietly with him. Falmiel felt rather lost without him - all those people she had been introduced to, but did not know. She turned around to walk over to the one called Naru, who looked as lost as herself, but after she had taken a few steps Naru joined the two rangers and Falmiel felt that it would not be a good idea to have too many people in one spot.

Then she noticed Thad looking up. She smiled at him," Can I help you?" she asked.
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2006 02:59
Ceindra sat at the edge of the stream, staring into it's deep waters absent-mindedly. She had removed her light Elven boots and her foot was dangling in the cool pristine water, while her chin was resting on her delicte hand.

As the others began to get the things ready for 'lunch', the young elven maid did not look up, and indeed, she seemed to be completley oblivious to the world around her. She sighed, her thoughts filled with images of Val. She knew that her constant day dreaming was reaching the brink of being ridiculous, but she coudln't help herself. Finally, and luckily, she was pulled out of her deep thoughts by someone calling her name from nearby.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 04:17
"hungry already, my valiant Lady? Have some Lembas and you will have no more need of food." his voice carried a hint of teasing. Because even though Lembas did not taste bad, and was also very filling and long lasting...he also could think of a few other things he'd prefer to feed himself on. "I will second the Lady Ranger..." he replied with a smiled. He was truly interested in hearing her story and getting acquainted

Freond grinned at Erkenwine’s comment, feeling an almost non-existent blush come to her cheeks at being called a ‘lady’ since she obviously was anything but lady-like. She could only smirk as he mentioned lembas, though- she’d had them many times, but she preferred ‘real food’, as she called it to herself…

And then, "Cleaning kills is one thing I do have knowledge of..." the elleth offered, and while she waited for the ellon's reply, Naru glanced forward at the two rangers... and wondered if they'd realized that - although she was unfamiliar with traveling, she wasn't completely 'useless' as a member of this group...

Freond caught Naru’s words but didn’t say anything as Val answered, thinking that she’d caught a bit of ‘pointedness’ in the elleth’s voice. She disregarded it, however, realizing that she had spoken to Naru as if the she-elf had never traveled at all…

Glancing at Thad, he told him to stay with Ceindra and both of them were to stay there until the group caught up with them, but not to go too far ahead. "Stay within shouting distance." He sent both of them on their way and called back to the group, "Ceindra and Thad are going to find a good location for a break. We'll stop for a quick meal and a short rest."

“A quick one is fine by me,” Freond commented, mainly to Erkenwine, “Though I doubt we’ll be as ‘speedy’ as Cir would like… and it can’t be held at anyone’s fault.”

Before long they came to the chosen ‘spot’, and Freond pitched in to set up their temporary resting-area. Very soon she settled down next to Erkenwine with a bite to eat. She offered him some, then, “Tell me something of yourself, Erkenwine. Were you born into ‘ranging’?”

Rather 'uncertain', Naru gazed around the group, and finally settled on Freond - sitting with her fellow ranger, as a good choice.

"Mind if I sit with you?" she asked, sending one last glance towards Valandil before returning her attention to the rangers...

“Not at all!” Freond replied with a smile, “Please, have a seat."
She ate a bit more then looked to the elleth.
"You said that you were from Edhellond, yes? I must admit that I’ve never been there… I have been to Dol Amroth on various occasions, though. The sea-vessels there are quite ‘impressive’… but I’ve never set foot on any water-craft, save an elf-made boat for traversing small waters. What about you, Naruiel? Have you sailed much?”

Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 07:05
Erkenwine grinned watching Freond's reactions to his little teasing remark. With surprise he noticed something in her behaviour that seemed to resemble a little bit of embarrassment, possibly in a good way. They had come to a stop though and everyone had slipped off their horses and started to prepare the campsite. "well" he glanced at Freond, when got off his horse. "you might be right there, I cannot see a group like ours resting for just a moment and then carrying on. If Ceindra and Thad are sent out to look for a place to stay...I wonder, if we'll not even stay the night. Because...what is wrong with right here, where we are? for a small rest, it should do." he finally sat down next to Freond who unpacked some of her food which she offered him. "oh, I am grateful you carry other things than just Lembas..." he said it quietly and leaning over towards her, as not to insult the elves. "nothing against Lembas, it is indeed like a friend in need, but sometimes, I do prefer a meal a bit heartier."

Freond was asking him, how he grew up and if he was born into ranging. Yet just as he wanted to open his mind a female elf sat down next to Freond starting conversations with her. Erkenwine thus sat there and ate the food he'd been given. He raised a hand and waved it about to Cir and the male members of the group. "does anyone need any help with things? Should we go hunting for some meat?" He was not sure how keen Elves were on meet, but a small hare or bird might do.

Curulindel rode on in silence listening to the conversations that went on between some members of their little group. But Curulindel did not think he had any thoughts to offer on the subject of this conversation. They had been riding for hours in this way when it was decided to have a rest and set up camp. Curulindel was the last one to get to site and therefore only slid off his horse when the others already seemed busy getting wood for the fire and setting up the campsite. He took off his bow and quiver and reached for the pack on his horses' back to unroll a blanket.It was then Ciryacáno approached him, discussing their further path. He seemed concerned for those in their group not used to travelling in that manner, and crossing the moutains so high in deep snow. And indeed, they had not reached the High Pass yet that would lead them across the other side of the mountain range to the Old Ford Road in the valley that would turn into the Old Forest Road cutting right through the middle of Mirkwood.

Curulindel listened carefully to Cir's concern. "you are right, Ciryacáno. It may well be saver and faster to cut through Mirkwood along the Old Forest Road, passing by the Mirkwood mountains. To branch out into the thicket of the forest to get to the north-eastern corner of mirkwood where King Thranduils caves ly may be strenuous and as we all know, troublesome for the giant spiders. Nevertheless it would be of use to stay at King Thranduil's caves for a day, he might have knowledge of what has been going on so far up in the north and north east of Middle Earth. The best way though might be to cut right through Mirkwood along the Old Forest Road and then move north again along the edge of the forest following Celduin (a river) up which will lead us straight to the Wood elves." Curulindel raised his brows. "there we'd be out in the open, and I do not know if there's any dangers out this far north in the shape of Orcs and similar. I do not know which trouble would be easier to handle for our group: to fight the Giant spiders in the darkness of the Forest, or other dangers out in the brightness of the day, unprotected. I might add here though, that if we go off the road through the forest to King Thranduils caves, we might meet Wood elves of his kingdoms that might be of assistants to us there."

[Edited on 11/5/2006 by Elebridith]
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 12:55
The riders caught up with Ceindra and Thad who had found the ideal place for a break. The small spring gave them water, the trees overhanging the soft grass sheltered them from the heat of the midday and there was plenty of old wood for a fire. Thad was already gathering enough to get the fire started. As the others seemed to settle themselves, he noticed Falmiel standing alone. He was curious about this elf maiden as it seemed his 'Sir Cir' had developed some strong feelings for her. He walked to her side, where he stood gazing up at her. She was really a beautiful maiden, he thought, and could understand why Cir would be interested in her. She appeared to notice him, smiling down at him and asking, "Can I help you?"

"No, ma'am, we have the fire goin' strong now and water is a'boiling. Would you like some tea? I can make some. Erkenwine and Cir have showed how to do it? I can make a pretty good cup now." He grinned at her, thinking her smile was just dazzling. "And I can take care of your horse, too. I have to make sure Jordy's alright and Cir has put me in charge of the other horses too." He walked with her to the fire, pulling a blanket from the pack on Jordy's back, laying it on the ground. "Here, ma'am, you just sit right here and I'll take care of you." He bustled about making her a cup of tea and then raced off to see to Jordy and her horse.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gelmir reached the camp site alongside Talindra, and he jumped down from his horse quickly and went to her side to help her dismount. He knew she didn't need the help but his heart and body were suddenly feeling very young again and he wanted to be the gentlemen to this peach-cheeked, slender elf. As he gripped her waist, lifting her down to the ground, he held onto her waist for a long moment, gazing into her beautiful eyes which were on a level with his own. He reached up to pull a twig from her hair, which was blowing in tendrils around her fair face. Only then did he reluctantly release her waist and step back. He had had the unexpected urge to kiss her and found himself slightly embarrassed by the thought. "Perhaps we should find something to eat, my lady." He turned and walked away from her, leaving her with her own reddened cheeks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ciryacáno stood at Curulindel's side, listening to his thoughts about the route they should take.

"you are right, Ciryacáno. It may well be saver and faster to cut through Mirkwood along the Old Forest Road, passing by the Mirkwood mountains. To branch out into the thicket of the forest to get to the north-eastern corner of mirkwood where King Thranduils caves ly may be strenuous and as we all know, troublesome for the giant spiders. Nevertheless it would be of use to stay at King Thranduil's caves for a day, he might have knowledge of what has been going on so far up in the north and north east of Middle Earth. The best way though might be to cut right through Mirkwood along the Old Forest Road and then move north again along the edge of the forest following Celduin (a river) up which will lead us straight to the Wood elves." Curulindel raised his brows. "there we'd be out in the open, and I do not know if there's any dangers out this far north in the shape of Orcs and similar. I do not know which trouble would be easier to handle for our group: to fight the Giant spiders in the darkness of the Forest, or other dangers out in the brightness of the day, unprotected. I might add here though, that if we go off the road through the forest to King Thranduils caves, we might meet Wood elves of his kingdoms that might be of assistants to us there."

Cir nodded his agreement at much of Curulindel's ideas, noting that they were well thought out. He had never personally seen the great spiders of the forest though Elrond had advised him of the potential danger should they confront them. But he agreed with Curulindel that Thranduil would have better knowledge even than Elrond of what was in and around the borders of his realm.

"I think perhaps we should follow the Old Forest Road to the eastern edge and then head north to Thranduil's realm for a day or two. Maybe by staying close to the edge of the forest, we can avoid being totally exposed in the open lands while staying away from a direct confrontation with the spiders at the same time. Besides, it will be approaching winter by the time we reach the eastern edge, so the trees along the border of the forest will offer us some shelter as well."

Cir wondered how he would bring his group through this journey safely. He had lived his life in the Gray Havens and knew well the perils of the ocean, but he had never traveled across Middle Earth before and knew little of the pitfalls that could befall his companions.

"Thank you for your council, Curulindel. Know that I am glad you are travelling with me." He looked across the small clearing at his fellow travelers, which had gathered in small groups eating or just resting, and his eyes espied Ceindra, sitting at the side of the stream, her boots laying beside her, her feet in the stream. He remembered her need to speak with him and so smiling at Curulindel, and clapping his shoulder, he called out.

"Ceindra!" He walked towards her, sitting on a log next to her. "What troubles you, dear child?"
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 01:15
Ceindra looked up at Cir, and sighed. "It's nothing really. Just....it's Val." She fell silent for a moment, trying to gather her thoughts about her. It seemed there was no way of tip-toeing around the situation.

"You see......the thing is.....I'm finding it...." She took a deep breath, and tried again. "I'm finding it hard to see him with Naru." She frowned. "Lately, over the past few weeks, my feelings of friendship for him have become stronger. Well, not really friendship. They've become more than that." She stopped so that he could take it all in so far.

"Cir?" She looked up at him, her eyes showing her vulnerability. "I love him. I know it's hard for you to understand, as we've all been friends for so long, and Val and I have always had our little squabbles...but there it is. I do love him, and there's nothing I can do about it."

She knew that her words must make little sense to Cir as he sat there watching her. Indeed, she couldn't figure them out herself, she was just talking a bunch of nonsense, inbetween the sentances that meant something. She was trying to hide her words. "Cir, what can I do? He's falling for her, I can see it. I couldn't stand it if she took him away from me..."
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 09:30
“Not at all!” Freond replied with a smile, “Please, have a seat."

Smiling back, Naruiel sank gracefully to the ground, and though hungry, she wasn't *quite * ready to eat.
She ate a bit more then looked to the elleth.
"You said that you were from Edhellond, yes? I must admit that I’ve never been there… I have been to Dol Amroth on various occasions, though. The sea-vessels there are quite ‘impressive’… but I’ve never set foot on any water-craft, save an elf-made boat for traversing small waters. What about you, Naruiel? Have you sailed much?”

"Some," Naru answered, but flicking her eyes at Erkenwine, the elleth got the distinct 'impression' he'd have preferred she not join the two rangers.
He raised a hand and waved it about to Cir and the male members of the group. "does anyone need any help with things? Should we go hunting for some meat?" He was not sure how keen Elves were on meet, but a small hare or bird might do.

"Meat for the evening meal sounds wonderful," Naruiel commented, and glanced around at the others of her fellow-travelers. She'd like to talk with Falmiel… not really having a 'chance' to yet… but the other red-haired elleth was talking with Thad. So, seeing that Valandil appeared to be by himself… and that Ciendra was speaking intently to Ciryacáno, the elleth politely excused herself, and rose to (a bit hesitantly) approach him.

Thinking once again that she liked Val's 'lazy' smile, and that she enjoyed his company, "Do you join the hunters?" she asked, and as he answered, took a bite of the Lembas-share she'd been given. And, more to pass the time than anything else, Naruiel continued chatting with Valandil, asking his opinion of their 'quest', and (occasionally) coming out with a 'witty' comment that seemed to amuse the handsome elf she was sitting with…

[Edited on 17/1/2006 by gwendeth]
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 11:59
"No, ma'am, we have the fire goin' strong now and water is a'boiling. Would you like some tea? I can make some. Erkenwine and Cir have showed how to do it? I can make a pretty good cup now." He grinned at her, thinking her smile was just dazzling. "And I can take care of your horse, too. I have to make sure Jordy's alright and Cir has put me in charge of the other horses too." He walked with her to the fire, pulling a blanket from the pack on Jordy's back, laying it on the ground. "Here, ma'am, you just sit right here and I'll take care of you." He bustled about making her a cup of tea and then raced off to see to Jordy and her horse.

Falmiel was stunned - she liked the boy, but she was not used to being made so much fuss about and she felt rather odd about it. Still, she let Thad take her to the fire, sit her down and hand her a cup of tea, it all happened rather quickly and she could only stammer a "Thank you" before Thad was already gone, tending to the horses.

Left alone again Falmiel looked around her, trying to find Cir. When her eyes did, she observed him for a little while. He was very sure in his position as the leader of their group and assumed that post naturally - as if he had been born to it. Falmiel admired him for that. She could lead if it was necessary - if someone was hurt, she took over, but around people she did not know she was rather shy. The way all this had happened was very unusual for her - never before had she acted like that.

She sighed, realizing that she would have to share Cir and therefore she needed other company - someone to talk to. She looked around, everyone was kind of busy, talking and getting acquainted. She noticed Naruiel attempting to get to know the others as well, but as soon as Falmiel had decided to go over to talk to her, the elleth had sat down with Val and was chatting quite nicely with him it seemed - until Falmiel noticed that Val was not exactly responsive, staring instead at Ceindra who was talking to Cir.

Falmiel swallowed the last of her tea, which had been very good and took a deep breath. Slowly she went over to where Naruiel and Val were sitting. Rather shyly she said, "Do you mind if I join you?", but kept on standing, waiting for an answer.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 19, 2006 01:46
Rather shyly she said, "Do you mind if I join you?", but kept on standing, waiting for an answer.

Looking up from her conversation with Valandil, Naruiel smiled. "Please! Sit down!" she replied, and patted the ground beside her.

"Things have happened rather 'fast' the past few days, haven't they?" the elleth commented, and then, "We've not had the chance to chat, yet, have we?" she went on. "Call me 'Naru' - it's my nickname," the elleth grinned, hoping to make Falmiel feel a bit more 'comfortable'.

Scooting back from her place just a bit, to include Val (so he might not feel 'left out' of the conversation), Naru tilted her head at Falmiel questioningly. "I understand you're a healer?" she inquired. "Perhaps, you could teach me a bit of your herb-lore," Naruiel suggested. "I don't have any healing 'talent' at all - but it never hurts to learn something 'new'."

And, throwing a smile at the ellon, "I hope we ellith won't bore you, hîr Valandil," Naru said, somewhat apologetically. "I 'do' tend to 'run on', sometimes!" she chuckled, and then turned back to - she further hoped - a new friend...
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 12:12
When Cir had finished a worthy conversation with Curulindel, he had remembered Ceindra's request and gone to sit with her, asking what was troubling her. She burbled about her feelings towards Val, while he had to struggle to keep from laughing. It was only when she spoke her heart that he realized this was a serious matter to her.

"Cir?" She looked up at him, her eyes showing her vulnerability. "I love him. I know it's hard for you to understand, as we've all been friends for so long, and Val and I have always had our little squabbles...but there it is. I do love him, and there's nothing I can do about it."

"No, Ceindra, it is not hard for me to understand. I have watched this growing for a long time now. But I don't see any problem in that. Do you?"

"Cir, what can I do? He's falling for her, I can see it. I couldn't stand it if she took him away from me..."

He looked at her with puzzled eyes? "Falling for whom? There is only you who has been in his life. Who else is there?" His eyes followed hers to where Val was sitting with Falmiel and Naruiel. Well, she certainly couldn't be talking about Falmiel. All knew of his attachment to the red headed healer and hers to him. That left Naruiel. But she and Val had barely met, barely spoken to one another, even on the way to this spot. In fact, all he could recall them speaking about was his bow, hardly romantic, unless one could consider Val's adoration of this bow to be romantic.

He smiled gently at Ceindra, saying exactly what had just been in his thoughts. "Ceindra, he has known you all your life and has had his own feelings for you, though I think he was waiting to see if they were returned by you. You must admit, you haven't been very forthcoming. And you know he talks freely to almost anyone, as he is now doing with Naruiel and Falmiel. I think you read too much into a general conversation between people." Patting her hand, he added, "But then, you have kept him on tenterhooks for a very long time. You would only have yourself to blame if he is tired of waiting and turns his eye...and his heart to another. However, I doubt that this is case at the moment. As I said, they barely know each other. It's up to you what you do with the knowledge of your feelings that you have so recently discovered..completely up to you." He rose and left her by the stream to think of what he had said and went to the fireside, finding a mug and making some tea. Carrying the mug, he joined Val, Naruiel, and his beloved Falmiel, sitting at her side. Reaching across to her, he picked up her hand to kiss her fingertips.

"How are you faring, my love? I'm sorry to be drawn away from you but ... well, nevermind, I'm here now." He bent over and kissed her gently, relishing even this small taste of her lips.

Turning to Val, he shared the conversation he had had with Curulindel. "The first obstacle is going to be crossing the mountains. It will take time and the weather will be growing colder, particularly near the peaks. We must move quickly to get beyond the pass before snow flies. I think I'll go and speak to Erkenwine and Freond about that. They have done this before, I am certain, and may give us some good advice. Will you join me?" Kissing Falmiel on the cheek, he grinned at her. "My work is never done," he mockingly moaned.

He wandered over to where Erkenwine and Freond were cheerfully conversing and he thought to himself, 'now here's a welcome pair.' Plopping down next to them, he said, "I need your advice and thoughts." He repeated his and Curulindel's conversation and then his conversation with Val. "Have either of you been through the pass before at this time of year? Do you know the quickest....and safest....route through? We need to get through before the weather changes." He waited for either one of them to reply.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 12:56
Naruiel smiled. "Please! Sit down!" she replied, and patted the ground beside her. Thankful Falmiel nodded and sat down in the place Naru had indicated. She was hardly sitting when Naru continued.

"Things have happened rather 'fast' the past few days, haven't they?" the elleth commented, and then, "We've not had the chance to chat, yet, have we?" she went on. "Call me 'Naru' - it's my nickname," the elleth grinned, hoping to make Falmiel feel a bit more 'comfortable'. Falmiel grinned at Naru, "Certainly," she smiled, "If you call me - wait, I never really had a nickname," she had to laugh at that point, "but you can call me Fal, if you want to, or," she hastened to add, "you can invent a nickname for me..." Oh Valar, Falmiel thought, I sound stupid.

Scooting back from her place just a bit, to include Val (so he might not feel 'left out' of the conversation), Naru tilted her head at Falmiel questioningly. "I understand you're a healer?" she inquired. "Perhaps, you could teach me a bit of your herb-lore," Naruiel suggested. "I don't have any healing 'talent' at all - but it never hurts to learn something 'new'." Falmiel was glad; this at least was a topic she could really talk about without sounding like a fool. "Of course," Falmiel said, "and you do not need a special talent for most things, unless it's the really complicated cases, you'll just have to know what to do - and I'll be glad to teach you anything you want to know." Again she smiled at Naru. Falmiel was finally beginning to feel more comfortable and really hoped that Naru felt the same way. With Cir always being busy leading the group, she was desperately in need of a friend.

After some time of pleasant conversation, which mostly passed between Naru and Falmiel, the elleth noticed Cir standing behind her. She felt him reaching for her hand and gently kissing her fingertips. When his lips touched her skin a pleasant tingling passed through her and she smiled up at him, her love shining in her eyes.
"How are you faring, my love? I'm sorry to be drawn away from you but ... well, never mind, I'm here now." He bent over and kissed her gently, she wanted to hold that kiss forever, to have him so close to her forever, to taste him forever - for a short moment everything around her had vanished and there was only Cir. Reluctantly she let him go when the kiss was finished and listened as he was talking to Val.

"The first obstacle is going to be crossing the mountains. It will take time and the weather will be growing colder, particularly near the peaks. We must move quickly to get beyond the pass before snow flies. I think I'll go and speak to Erkenwine and Freond about that. They have done this before, I am certain, and may give us some good advice. Will you join me?" Kissing Falmiel on the cheek, he grinned at her. "My work is never done," he mockingly moaned.

For a moment Cir's presence stayed with her, the magic of his kiss not quite releasing her yet. But when he had gone, she turned back to Naru, her face aglow with the love and the warmth she felt. "I am sorry," she started, "I did not want to interrupt our conversation. This is not like me, but from the moment I saw him, there has been magic in the air," she smiled shyly,"but I hope you don't mind - I do want to get to know you better, you know, it has been long since I had a friend to talk to...."

Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2006 07:57
Valandil was in a rather good mood as he sat with the others and ate. Naruiel was witty and someone Val could cross mental swords with in a playful nature - none of the confusion he encountered when with Ciendra.

When Falmiel sat down the two elleth began to chat amiably. He listened with half an ear until Cir came and stole the healer away. Val grinned to himself mostly; once he got Cir alone, the elf was going to hear an earful.

He turned to Naru and stood. "Well, I have to confess, I think I am interested in seeing how well you can shoot. We have have a few moments I think before we bed down for the night." His polite smile turned to a grin. "Unless the dim light will hinder you in any way."
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 24, 2006 03:48
Falmiel grinned at Naru, "Certainly," she smiled, "If you call me - wait, I never really had a nickname," she had to laugh at that point, "but you can call me Fal, if you want to, or," she hastened to add, "you can invent a nickname for me..."

"Ah!" Naruiel shook her head, "'Nicknames' are *not* one of my gifts!" she chuckled. "I'd be more likely to insult you - without intending to - if I tried to come up with something!" the elleth added, but then listened keenly as Falmiel spoke of her gift.

"Of course," Falmiel said, "and you do not need a special talent for most things, unless it's the really complicated cases, you'll just have to know what to do - and I'll be glad to teach you anything you want to know." Again she smiled at Naru.

"So," Naru commented after they'd chatted, "It's more knowing which herb is most useful at a given time or occasion. That I could learn. While we're traveling, if you could point the various plants out and explain how they're used, I promise to be a 'good student!" and included Val with a teasing wink in her offer.

After some time of pleasant conversation, which mostly passed between Naru and Falmiel, the elleth noticed Cir standing behind her. She felt him reaching for her hand and gently kissing her fingertips. When his lips touched her skin a pleasant tingling passed through her and she smiled up at him, her love shining in her eyes.
"How are you faring, my love? I'm sorry to be drawn away from you but ... well, never mind, I'm here now." He bent over and kissed her gently, she wanted to hold that kiss forever, to have him so close to her forever, to taste him forever - for a short moment everything around her had vanished and there was only Cir. Reluctantly she let him go when the kiss was finished and listened as he was talking to Val.

"The first obstacle is going to be crossing the mountains. It will take time and the weather will be growing colder, particularly near the peaks. We must move quickly to get beyond the pass before snow flies. I think I'll go and speak to Erkenwine and Freond about that. They have done this before, I am certain, and may give us some good advice. Will you join me?" Kissing Falmiel on the cheek, he grinned at her. "My work is never done," he mockingly moaned.

when he had gone, she turned back to Naru, her face aglow with the love and the warmth she felt. "I am sorry," she started, "I did not want to interrupt our conversation. This is not like me, but from the moment I saw him, there has been magic in the air," she smiled shyly,"but I hope you don't mind - I do want to get to know you better, you know, it has been long since I had a friend to talk to...."

Smiling to herself, Naruiel had been watching Falmiel, and Cir. Shaking her head again, "What is love compared to herb-lore?" she replied. - And, following the other elleth's gaze after her love, Naru's green eyes twinkled. "From what I've gathered," Naru then said, "We've many days on this journey, and plenty of time to continue our chat. Go on, my friend," and she shoved Falmiel's shoulder gently in the elf's direction. "He *did* as you to join him - didn't he?" she grinned.

Watching the elleth join Cir - still talking to the two rangers, Naruiel smiled to see Cir then take his love's arm and head off into the forest. Strange, she mused inwardly, how love 'worked', though no ellon had ever been particularly 'interested' in herself. But then, the elleth returned to chatting about archery with Valandil… and grinned when he rose.

"Well, I have to confess, I think I am interested in seeing how well you can shoot. We have have a few moments I think before we bed down for the night." His polite smile turned to a grin. "Unless the dim light will hinder you in any way."

"Ai, hîr Valandil!" Naru laughed at his grinning comment. "The 'light' isn't what will 'hinder' me - not at all!" and gracefully got to her feet. "Whether my 'aim' will match what my eyes tell me the target is, is something else entirely!"

She waited while the elf retrieved his bow, glancing over the others of their company, and then giving Val a bright smile upon his return. Falling in step with the ellon, "How far should we go?" Naruiel inquired. "I mean - I certainly don't want to miss the target and hit one of our company by mistake…"

A little way from the group, the two elves stopped, and Naru bit her lip as she looked for something… 'reasonable' to aim at. "Perhaps that tree trunk?" she asked, raising her eyebrow questioningly, "between the lowest limb and the first notch?" It was, perhaps, twenty-five yards away… well within elven-warrior's skill (the elleth was quite sure). - Yet, a 'decent' test distance for herself. Politely thanking Valandil when the elf handed her his weapon, Naruiel set an arrow to the string, and drew back - or rather, she got it part way.

"I think you're a bit stronger than I am!" she told him, and taking a deep breath, tried again. - And, although when she let the bowstring loose, the arrow *did* strike the tree… it sank in deeply at a point near the plant's roots… far lower than where Naru had been aiming at. "Well… I think I've confirmed my own 'suspicion'," she laughed merrily. "I DO need 'practice'! - Now - can you tell me what I'm doing 'wrong'?"
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 24, 2006 07:33
"Some," Naru answered, but flicking her eyes at Erkenwine, the elleth got the distinct 'impression' he'd have preferred she not join the two rangers.

Freond noticed that Naru acted as though she didn’t really want to be sitting with them…and she also noticed that Erkenwine had fallen silent, even offered to get up and leave. Were her social skills that terrible? She wondered… and sighed as she returned to her food, and Naru left. She looked at Erkenwine again.

”You never did answer me,” she said, smiling at him, “About how you became a ranger. I was born into it… I suppose you could say. My mother never really approved… but when she saw that she’d never make me a ‘lady’ like she wanted she finally gave in. My father trained me. My story isn’t a remarkable one- but I’m interested in yours.”

They sat and talked for a while longer as Erkenwine finally said a little about himself. Soon, however, their talking was interrupted again.

He wandered over to where Erkenwine and Freond were cheerfully conversing and he thought to himself, 'now here's a welcome pair.' Plopping down next to them, he said, "I need your advice and thoughts." He repeated his and Curulindel's conversation and then his conversation with Val. "Have either of you been through the pass before at this time of year? Do you know the quickest....and safest....route through? We need to get through before the weather changes." He waited for either one of them to reply.

Freond listened carefully and then was thoughtful for a moment, trying to recall her last trip this way. After a few minutes she nodded.
“I agree with you… following the Old Road to the eastern edge, then going north. I don’t think we should chance braving the thick of the forest if we can avoid it for any amount of time, but being out in the wide-open isn’t smart either. Your idea sounds best to me… but like I’ve told Erkenwine, its been a long time since I came this way. Things might have changed. I do know the lands fairly well, though… I’ll be happy to be a ‘guide’ more or less, if you need me to be.”

(ooc: el, left it open so you could fill in erkenwine's response. hope thats ok)
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2006 10:09
Curulindel nodded to Ciryacáno, who seemed unlike himself, to prefer to travel out in the open to get to King Thranduils Caves. "I understand what you mean, Ciryacáno. So we take the Old Forest Road, pass by the moutains and then move along the edge of the forest, stay within the shadows of the trees." Curulindel bowed at Ciryacáno's kind words on his accompanying the group. Then, while Ciryacáno, as the leader of the group, tried to attend to all the problems and sorrows of all the members of the fellowship by letting Ceindra pour out her heart to him, Curulindel discreetly moved away to see to his horse giving it some water (either from a river nearby if there is one, or from a water bottle. sorry, can't remember).

Erkenwine was surprised to see Naruiel suddenly getting up when he was about to tell her that he had been to Edhelond. He was wondering if he'd behaved badly to the female elf, being rather a roughish kind of young ranger. Erkenwine leaned over to Freond and quietly spoke to her. "Did I chase the female elf away? I did not know I had such a negative influence on her. Normally my charme works on all the females." he grinned. "I actually have been to Edhelond and it would have be interesting to...oh, well...so, you were talking about sailing? Sailing? have you been sailing much? I can't remember when I was on a boat the last time. At least a boat larger than the ordinary rowing boats on the rivers. I've never sailed out on the ocean..have you?" he bit into the bit of dried meat he'd carried with him. "Would you like to taste this? I have dried it myself, flavoured it with some herbs, its delicious." That's when he noticed Ciryacáno coming over to see them.

Cir told them about the path they would take to King Thranduil's caves, which did not seem too much of a trouble. But Erkenwine noticed Cir's worry when he talked about the Hithaeglir moutains they were about to climb. "the pass is easiely followed in spring and summer, but now, autums gone, winter's already at our door, it will have snowed heavily in the higher regions of the pass. What do you think Freond? I do know a small path. It's narrow for some part of the way then it passed through a dark tunnel through one of the mountain peaks. When we come out the other side we will still have to cross deep snow. Its cold and windy up there, but if we take this path, the snow we have to pass through is covering a plateau. It's slow but easier travelling the the much higher pass, that stays narrow most of the time."

OOC: Gwendeth, I do hope you did not misunderstand my last post! I did not mean at all for Erkenwine to be bothered by Naru's presence. he's not the type that would be bothered by many females. I only wanted to give a reason for not answering Freonds questions to him. It wouldn't have fitted, if I answered her questions which might have needed answers from her again. So I thought it would be a good reason, that at this point Naru joined, so the conversation went another way.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 29, 2006 09:07
Cir and Falmiel wandered down the stream away from the group to a small clearing, where they found a fallen log to sit on. "Falmiel, how are you doing? This must be so different from what you are used to, yet I cannot say that I am unhappy that you have come with me. You, I believe, are what gives me the strength to see this through. Yet, it is hardly the way I would have liked to court you," he said, smiling at this touch of humor. They spent long moments alone in the quiet of the woods, he taking the time to hold her closely, planting small kisses on her cheek, her neck and finally a passionate one on her rosy lips. It was with a sigh that he stood at last, pulling her to her feet and wrapping his arms around her waist, holding her close for one last kiss, one final look into those sea green eyes that had captured his heart. "It is time, love. We must move on," he said, leading her back to the group.

Cir noted that everyone seemed to be finished with their lunch break and he called them to gather their belongings and mount up. Thad had fed, watered and brushed all the horses and saddled them up and he and Jordy were standing next to Cir's and Falmiel's horses.

Naru and Val tied their bows and quivers on their back, having amused themselves with target practice. Freond and Erkenwine rose from the place where they had been talking and chewing on dried meats. Ceindra put her boots on and left the side of the stream. Curulindel, who had been quietly contemplating, strolled over to join the group with the reins of his horse in hand to wait for the others to ready themselves.

Gelmir had taken a moment to catch Cir alone. "Cir, I truly do not think it would be wise for Talindra to take this journey. She is a scholar, and from what you say we will be soon addressing, snow and cold and spiders and all, I think she should go back while she can. She is not meant for this kind of journey. I can go with her," he said, his look a mixture of wistfulness, disappointment and yet relief.

Cir smiled at his old mentor and said, "I would agree, but would she?" Gelmir smiled, a distant look in his eyes, "Were I to accompany her back, yes, I think she would." He focussed on Cir and added, "I will leave the most pertinent documents with you. You know who you are seeking and the documents will help you find them....as far as the written word goes, that is. We have already established that the Blue Wizards have not been seen in many many years now, so how much value these parchments will be is questionable, but it is all we have to go on."

Cir watched sadly as Gelmir and Talindra rode off in the opposite direction, sorry to lose the company of his mentor but realizing that Gelmir was probably correct once again. The fragile female scholar would be hard put to keep up with the group and was really our of her element here in the wild. Turning when they were out of sight, he rejoined the remaining group, announcing the loss of the two scholars to them.

He packed the documents left behind by Gelmir into his pack and stepped to Falmiel's side. "My love, are you ready? We have a long way to go before we stop for the night."

When they were all astride their horses, Cir led them back to the eastbound road and they headed for the mighty mountains before them. Through the afternoon they rode, the road beginning to climb ever higher into the foothills, the wind carrying the chill of a knife edge, cutting through their clothes, the clouds forming high in the peaks as a warning of the snow to come not long from now.

Cir twisted around on his saddle, his eyes searching for Erkenwine and Freond. He waited until they had caught up with him, and pointed to the western sky. "The sun will be setting within the next hour and I would like to have us settled somewhere for the night by then if it is possible. May I rely on the two of you to ride ahead and find a suitable campsight for us?" he asked the two Rangers.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2006 12:42
Cir and Falmiel wandered down the stream away from the group to a small clearing, where they found a fallen log to sit on. "Falmiel, how are you doing? This must be so different from what you are used to, yet I cannot say that I am unhappy that you have come with me. You, I believe, are what gives me the strength to see this through. Yet, it is hardly the way I would have liked to court you," he said, smiling at this touch of humor. Falmiel smiled back, she was glad to have a moment alone with her love. The situation was so new and yet so familiar that Falmiel did not feel like
she needed any courting. The only thing she wanted was to be close to Cir. “Mela en’coiamin (love of my life),” she started and enjoyed saying those words to the fullest, “ Stop worrying. At your side is the only place I want to be, no matter if this is different to what I am used to or not; as long as you are near, I do not wish to be anywhere else in the world. Besides,” she again gave him one of her most beautiful smiles, “I do not think that with what we have, courting is really necessary, I already feel as if you had always been at my side and to imagine you gone is just as hard as to imagine missing a limb…”

They spent long moments alone in the quiet of the woods, he taking the time to hold her closely, planting small kisses on her cheek, her neck and finally a passionate one on her rosy lips; she responding to each and every touch, her hands feeling his face, his neck and the part of his chest, which was not covered with clothing and finally loosing herself in his passionate kiss on her lips. It was with a sigh that he stood at last, pulling her to her feet and wrapping his arms around her waist, holding her close for one last kiss, one final look into those sea green eyes that had captured his heart. "It is time, love. We must move on," he said, leading her back to the group. She nodded, and without protest, but not without regret, she followed him.

Back with the rest of their companions, Falmiel stood by as Glemir explained the reasons for his leaving. She closely observed Cir and could sense his emotions on letting his mentor leave. While Cir watched sadly as Gelmir and Talindra rode off in the opposite direction, sorry to lose the company of his mentor but realizing that Gelmir was probably correct once again, she reached for his hand and held it, watching with him as the two figures became smaller and smaller in the distance She also stayed close when he announced the departure of the two scolars to the group. He packed the documents left behind by Gelmir into his pack and stepped to Falmiel's side. "My love, are you ready? We have a long way to go before we stop for the night." Smiling at him she said, “I am always ready when you are, a’mealamin.”

Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2006 05:17
Curulindel looked up from what he was doing when he noticed Gelmir and Talindra getting ready to leave. He had not heard what was spoken between them and Ciryácano and it hadn't been his business to know anyway. But now that they were leaving and it looked as if they were riding back, he just thought that whatever the reason was, it would be the right thing to do. That was his elven nature. Whatever decision was taken was done for a good reason, that would should itself later. He mounted his horse when he realized that they were moving on. He glanced over at Erkenwine who nodded to him, and Curulindel smiled.

Erkenwine mounted his horse and rode next to Freond. "So, what do you think, Freond? should we not rather pass through the lower path and make our way through the tunnel? we can thus cross one of the peaks in relative savety and the plateau once we reach the other side will be fairly flat, even though snowy and still rather windy. But the normal pass will be dangerous to follow the higher we get..." he turned his head towards Ciryácano. "Ciryácano, have you dedided which way you want us to take? then I am sure me and Freond won't have any trouble to find us a suitable campsite along the way." it was all up to him, he was the leader of this group and Erkenwine knew that the lower path that eventually lead through one of the mountain peeks would make their journey a little longer, but half as dangerous in the beginning of winter.

((since Curulindel is kinda...erm..lonely, would you allow him to find a wolf cub? at least he would have something to do to care for it..))
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 06, 2006 04:19
Cir twisted around on his saddle, his eyes searching for Erkenwine and Freond. He waited until they had caught up with him, and pointed to the western sky. "The sun will be setting within the next hour and I would like to have us settled somewhere for the night by then if it is possible. May I rely on the two of you to ride ahead and find a suitable campsight for us?" he asked the two Rangers.

“Of course,” Freond answered, then glanced at the other ranger as if to confirm her answer. She wouldn’t mind getting some ‘space’ from the rest of the group. It was nothing against them… but the woman was used to being alone, or with only one or two others.
She noticed Gelmir and Talindra leaving, but didn’t say anything about it… it was probably wise of them.

Erkenwine mounted his horse and rode next to Freond. "So, what do you think, Freond? should we not rather pass through the lower path and make our way through the tunnel? we can thus cross one of the peaks in relative savety and the plateau once we reach the other side will be fairly flat, even though snowy and still rather windy. But the normal pass will be dangerous to follow the higher we get..." he turned his head towards Ciryácano. "Ciryácano, have you dedided which way you want us to take? then I am sure me and Freond won't have any trouble to find us a suitable campsite along the way." it was all up to him, he was the leader of this group and Erkenwine knew that the lower path that eventually lead through one of the mountain peeks would make their journey a little longer, but half as dangerous in the beginning of winter

Freond quietly waited for the elf’s answer. She was thinking that she agreed with Erkenwine- she’d been contemplating the same thing. After getting Cir’s answer- which was in agreement with her thoughts- she turned her horse and rode on ahead with the other ranger, peering carefully this way and that for a suitable campsite. They didn’t do much talking as they rode, except to mention aspects of places they noticed- but the young woman was finding that she liked his company. There was a ‘charm’ to Erkenwine that was intriguing, and amusing- something she’d never seen in the other rangers she’d had to travel with.

After a while a place that looked like it would do came into view… it was off the ‘main path’ a small way, but well sheltered by trees. The nearest source of water was within walking distance, not too close but close enough.
Dismounting, she walked around a bit, looking at the ground to see if anyone or anything had been in the area recently, and just to get a better look…. And found no sings of the place being inhabited.
“Do you think this will do?” she asked Erkenwine, standing and waving a hand around them, “This is where I would stay, were I alone… and since Cir trusts our judgment enough to send us ahead, I guess this is where we’ll be sleeping tonight.”

She grinned at him and gave him a friendly jab as she passed to get to her horse.
“We’d best hurry back… I’m sure everyone else is eager for our victorious return.”
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2006 07:08
Ai, hîr Valandil!" Naru laughed at his grinning comment. "The 'light' isn't what will 'hinder' me - not at all!" and gracefully got to her feet. "Whether my 'aim' will match what my eyes tell me the target is, is something else entirely!"

Valandil chuckled to himself, retriveing his own bow and quiver. He walked over to her and returned her bright smile with a quieter, almost sly one of his own.

"How far should we go?" Naruiel inquired as she fell in step next to him. "I mean - I certainly don't want to miss the target and hit one of our company by mistake…"

"Well, if you think you are in that much danger of it..." Val let the sentance trail off and did not pause in his stride until they were a little ways away from the rest.

"Perhaps that tree trunk?" Naru asked, raising her eyebrow questioningly, "between the lowest limb and the first notch?"

Valandil considered then nodded. "Very well." He beckoned gracefully for her to go first, handing her his bow.

Politely thanking Valandil when the elf handed her his weapon, Naruiel set an arrow to the string, and drew back - or rather, she got it part way.

"I think you're a bit stronger than I am!" she told him, and taking a deep breath, tried again. - And, although when she let the bowstring loose, the arrow *did* strike the tree… it sank in deeply at a point near the plant's roots… far lower than where Naru had been aiming at. "Well… I think I've confirmed my own 'suspicion'," she laughed merrily. "I DO need 'practice'! - Now - can you tell me what I'm doing 'wrong'?"

"You need a bow that suits you." He said seriously, although his blue eyes had a merry twinkle. "I fear mine is a tad too heavy for you." He took it back. "Perhaps a lighter wood; and a smaller size."

He smiled again and this time it was almost gentle.

BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 07, 2006 02:59
Ciryacáno listened closely as Erkenwine discussed the alternate routes they could take and when Freond agreed with the other Ranger, thought carefully about them.

"It strikes me that for the group's comfort, it might be best to go through this tunnel that you mention. However, my question would be, how long is the tunnel and are we likely to run afoul of Orcs or other dangers? If you recommend it from past usage, then I will agree that that is the best way to go. Let us wait until we see how the weather is the farther we climb. It may not be necessary to take that path if the weather holds." The two had nodded and ridden ahead to find a shelter for the group for the night.

Ciryacáno's mind was full of the difficulties ahead and wondering if he would be able to lead this group safely through them, when he heard Freond call out. Apparently she and Erkenwine had been successful in finding the proper shelter for the group for the night ahead, which already held the chill of winter. Riding behind them, with Falmiel at his side and Thad right behind them, they came to the spot.

Large spruces stood in a circle, creating a natural shelter under their branches, and a small stream flowed not too far away. Ciryacáno lifted the branches, which almost touched the ground, and walked under them, finding that although the ground around them had been damp, here it was dry and the wind was cut off by the trees themselves. Lowering his head, he stepped out into the open, smiling at the two Rangers.

"It will do very well, I think. Let's get our horses unsaddled and our packs under the trees." He turned and caught Falmiel as she slid from her horse, dropping her against his chest so that she was face to face with him. Gazing into her eyes for a long moment, he covered her mouth with his own, holding her in a long kiss. Then he let her fall the rest of the way to the ground, not losing the connection with her eyes. "It is the color of your eyes, my love, that will sustain me, you know. Everytime I look into them, I see the ocean and it carries me one more step." Kissing her gently again, he released her and reached for her pack, beginning to untie it from her saddle. Handing it to her, he shooed her to the trees as he untied his own.

"Thad! Come here, son," Cir called and when the boy reached his side, Cir gave him the responsibility of the horses. "They will all need to be watered and fed. The water is easy as the stream is nearby but you may have to search behind these trees for grass. I want to save the grain feed we are carrying as long as possible for the time when there is no grass." Ruffling the boys hair, he took his pack under the trees, where Curulindel and the two Rangers were already gathering dried branches for a fire. Naru, Falmiel and Ceindra were searching their packs for food supplies and Ciryacáno threw his own down next to the massive trunk of one of the trees. opening it and removing a pot for water, which he quickly left the shelter of the spruces to find.

The group seemed to work well together and before long, they had all partaken of a warm meal and a hot drink, their bedrolls laid out near the bases of the trees. Ciryacáno sat with his back against the trunk of one, his legs spread out and Falmiel's back against his chest, his arms around her waist. He was feeling sleepy but there were still things to discuss. Curulindel, Val and the two rangers were nearby and he thought to talk to them when Thad came prancing by, swinging his new sword around in circles, his feet bouncing and dancing side steps. When he accidently slammed the blade of the sword into a nearby tree trunk, Cir called out to him.

"Thad, if you must play with your sword, take it out from under the trees into the open. You will behead one of us at the rate you are going."

"I'm not playin', Sir Cir. I'm killing Orcs and such."

"Well, kill them out in the open then." Cir sighed and rolled his eyes. Glancing at Curulindel, he grinned. "Curulindel, I think perhaps it is not enough that you have so beautifully crafted a sword for the lad, but you must also teach him how to use it, I think."

His eyes surveyed the group. Naru was sitting near Ceindra but neither of them seemed to be talking to one another. He thought of what Ceindra's words had been earlier about her feelings for Val, and then thought of the target practice that Naru and Val had played at and understood why Ceindra was quiet. "Naru, Ceindra, come and join us. I think we need to hear the wisdom that Curulindel and our two rangers have to offer us. Erkenwine and Freond have suggested another path, through a tunnel, which will bring us through the mountains more quickly and at a lower height than the main pass," glancing at the rangers, he asked, "Am I right in my understanding? What do you all think of that route? Curulindel, have you traveled this route before?"

He listened as the men and the woman argued the pluses and minuses of either route and felt their voices drifting away, as his eyes closed. He had to shake his head to bring himself back and pay attention until they had agreed on the route.

"So the final answer is as I thought. We can climb until we reach the fork where we must decide whether to continue climbing to the upper pass or choose the tunnel pass...which decision rests on the weather when we get there." Falmiel stirred slightly within his arms and he kissed the top of her head, realizing that she had indeed given over to the elven form of sleep. "Alright then, let us rest and see what the morning has to bring."

Just then, Thad burst through the cover of the branches. "I've slain an army of Orcs, Sir Cir," he shouted, startling all whose minds were already drifting into sleep.

"Good, Thad, now put your blade away and lay down. We will be leaving early in the morning and we all need as much rest as we can get."

They all slept soundly under their blankets and when Ciryacáno opened his eyes in the morning, he dreaded climbing out from under the shelter of his warm blanket, made even warmer by the covered body of Falmiel who had bedded down right next to him. But rise he did, throwing his cloak over his shoulders to fend off the chill and parting the branches, he saw what he had least wanted to see......the first snowfalling. It would seem that the decision as to what route they were to take had been made for them.

(OOC: El, we have 8 other people you can interract with (incl. Thad to teach sword skills to). We are finally, after 13 pages, where I wanted this thread to be...searching for the Blue Wizards. I'd rather not add more delay to the thread, if you don't mind, so, no, no wolf, please. Try to have Curulindel interract with the other players instead.)

[Edited on 8/2/2006 by BerethEdhellen]
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2006 08:41
Observing Ciryacáno closely while they rode side by side, Falmiel could see that he was troubled about what lay ahead. The worry clearly showed in his face and to give him a little assurance, she reached out for his hand and gave it a loving squeeze. They did not ride long before they reached the spot the rangers had selected to spend the night in. Large spruces stood in a circle, creating a natural shelter under their branches, and a small stream flowed not too far away.

"It will do very well, I think. Let's get our horses unsaddled and our packs under the trees." He turned and caught Falmiel as she slid from her horse, dropping her against his chest so that she was face to face with him. Gazing into her eyes for a long moment, he covered her mouth with his own, holding her in a long kiss. Gladly Falmiel gave herself up to him, feeling every second of his long kiss and wishing this closeness would never end. But it was not meant to be and after the kiss was over, Cir let her fall the rest of the way to the ground, not losing the connection with her eyes. "It is the color of your eyes, my love, that will sustain me, you know. Everytime I look into them, I see the ocean and it carries me one more step." Falmiel smiled at him and said softly, “ Those eyes will always be there when you need them.” Kissing her gently again, Cir released her and reached for her pack, beginning to untie it from her saddle. Handing it to her, he shooed her to the trees as he untied his own.

When Falmiel reached the trees, she began to make a little bed for herself and Cir close to the fire, then started looking for food to prepare. Smiling she saw that Naru and Ceidra were doing the same. Having found what she wanted, she went over to Naru and Ceindra. Smiling she said, “Well, how about we make a nice and tasty meal for everyone tonight?” The three of them got busy, and soon the smell of a hot meal and hot drink was all around them and before long, they had all partaken of a warm meal and a hot drink, their bedrolls laid out near the bases of the trees. Ciryacáno sat with his back against the trunk of one, his legs spread out and Falmiel's back against his chest, his arms around her waist Falmiel loved to be so close to Cir, to feel him breathe, to hear him talk, to feel his skin, to know that his arms were around her, all those things made her feel save and loved. She was lost in thought, imagining how their little adventure would go on, when Thad came prancing by, swinging his new sword around in circles, his feet bouncing and dancing side steps. When he accidently slammed the blade of the sword into a nearby tree trunk, Cir called out to him.

"Thad, if you must play with your sword, take it out from under the trees into the open. You will behead one of us at the rate you are going." "I'm not playin', Sir Cir. I'm killing Orcs and such." "Well, kill them out in the open then." Cir sighed and rolled his eyes. Falmiel listened to Cir, talking to several people, she was feeling drowsy, but not yet tired enough to really sleep.

Nonetheless, the voices around her grew faint and the actual conversation did not reach her ears anymore. There was a comfortable and pleasant mumble around her, and combined with Cir’s regular breathing, she soon drifted off into ‘sleep’. Distantly she felt her head being kissed and shifted slightly in Cir’s arms.

Falmiel slept soundly and did not even notice when Cir gently lay her down next to him and covered her with a blanket. She was not used to riding all day long and it tired her greatly. She was so deep in that state the elves call sleep, that she did not even notice when Cir got up. When he was gone, though she did notice the cold around her and drew the blankets closer to her body.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 08, 2006 01:32
"You need a bow that suits you." He said seriously, although his blue eyes had a merry twinkle. "I fear mine is a tad too heavy for you." He took it back. "Perhaps a lighter wood; and a smaller size."

He smiled again and this time it was almost gentle.

Appreciating the ellon's assessment, Naruiel nodded, and thanked him - and once more, the elleth discovered she very much liked Val's smile. But, to answer him, "I've naught but one I 'borrowed' from someone in Imladris," she said, and quickly fetching it, handed the weapon to hîr Valandil to check.

And, to the elleth's inner grumblings, after watching her with it, it was discovered that *that* one was actually too 'light'. "Well," Naru commented, after they noticed the group beginning to reassemble to move on, "I suppose it will have to 'do'. - At least, I can practice with it," she grinned, trying to be 'practical' about it.

The ride the rest of the afternoon was long, and quiet… and clouds were beginning to gather overhead… along with a 'chill' that Naruiel was quite unused to. When Freond and Erkenwine rode ahead to locate a good camping-place for the night, returning shortly with the news that they'd found one she greeted the news with a tired smile. - And, Naru found herself quite ready to stop when they all reached it.
Large spruces stood in a circle, creating a natural shelter under their branches, and a small stream flowed not too far away. Ciryacáno lifted the branches, which almost touched the ground, and walked under them, finding that although the ground around them had been damp, here it was dry and the wind was cut off by the trees themselves. Lowering his head, he stepped out into the open, smiling at the two Rangers.

"It will do very well, I think. Let's get our horses unsaddled and our packs under the trees."

Gratefully sliding to the ground, she then proceeded to unload her packs and tend to her mount's needs. - But, when Thad came up - saying he'd been 'assigned' to take care of the horses, Naruiel smiled, and handed Maidhiel's reins to the boy… and with a wink, told the mare to "be nice to him, now!"

After which, the elleth, along with Falmiel and Ciendra began setting out food for their evening meal.

She then settled near the fire… not too far away from Ciendra, and though Naruiel made a few attempts at conversation, the other elleth said very little.

With a sigh, Naru wondered if she'd 'offended' Ciendra somehow… and not for the first time that day. After most everyone had seemed to settle down for the night, however, the elleth found that sleep was far away.

So, hoping it wouldn't 'disturb' those already slumbering, Naruiel drew out her small lap-harp, and ran a quiet scale along the strings.

Smiling that the instrument was still 'in tune, the elleth's fingers plucked out a gentle melody. - And, very softly, she began to sing…

"Losto maethor dithen,
Losto mae, losto mae!
bo haust voe o thâr,
i laiss besseg lín,
i ithil-galad goll lín, losto mae!
O menil doer, i ngiliath Thoniel,
le tirithar a tegithar
bo foen 'lyss o elei.
le tirithar a tegithar
bo foen 'lyss o elei.

Losto maethor dithen,
Holo hin lín, holo hin lín,
a revio buin rovail
O theryn a dú-filig,
a laer-hýl voe, losto mae.
le tirithar a tegithar
bo foen 'lyss o elei.
le tirithar a tegithar
bo foen 'lyss o elei.
Losto maethor dithen,
Losto mae, losto mae! "

When she'd finished the lullaby, Naru finally lay back and was quickly lost in slumber.

In the morning, she rose… feeling rather 'stiff', and definitely 'uncomfortable' from sleeping on the hard ground. But, since she'd 'chosen' this path, Naruiel forebore to 'complain'. She was neither the first, nor the last one to wake, but as she peeked out through the branches forming their 'shelter', the elleth's green eyes were wide as she gazed at the landscape without. Everything was covered with a dusting of white… and 'sparkles' and 'glints' were everywhere… and soft, feathery flakes were falling down from the sky.

"OH!" she breathed, and ventured to reach out a hand to try and catch them in her palm... and to her curiousity, laughed with delight when they instantly melted.

- And, at the amused looks from some in their grou, Naru's cheeks colored slightly. "You'll have to forgive me," she apologized, "but, I've never seen snow before…"

(( OOC: * "Sleep little warrior,
Sleep well, sleep well!
On a soft bed of grass,
the leaves are your pillow,
the moonlight your cloak; sleep well!
From high in the heavens, the Kindler's stars,
will guard you and guide you on white clouds of dreams.

Sleep little warrior,
Close your eyes, close your eyes!
and fly on the wings
Of eagles and night-birds,
and soft summer winds; sleep well!
From high in the heavens, the Kindler's stars
will guard you and guide you
on white clouds of dreams.
Sleep little warrior!
Sleep well, sleep well!

© 2004 by gwendeth ))
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2006 02:51
Erkenwine smiled cheerfully to see that Freond was enjoying their discussion. They would follow the lower path through the tunnel of the highest mountain peak, rather through it than around it, he felt, at this time of year. He raised his brows when Freond urged her horse to charge off ahead. He watched her long hair flutter in the wind behind her. With the way she was dressed it gave her a touch of wildness but also strength, coupled with the softness of womanhood. It was delightful. As beautiful as elven maiden were, Erkenwine always felt they lacked the wildness of nature in them. And maybe they were even too perfect looking. As much as he admired them and as often as his eyes took in their beauty, his preferance lay in the wildness of nature.

He'd never really met a female ranger on his journey. It was a pleasure to see her free spirit reigning in all the movements and actions she committed. "come Glórmalen, let us catch her." he soon charged after her and together were looking for an ideal shelter to set up camp. Soon he followed her off the road to an area set with many trees. Erkenwine slid off his horse and wandered around between the trees. There was a group of them standing large and close together, with a lot of bushes along one side. The place looked as if newly made by the gods, untouched. It was amazing. He knelt down when he saw some bend grass, but soon realized that it might have been a rabbit curling up in his temporary bed of this long grass. "yes, it appears perfect, far enough from the main road, and trees keeping it hidden from sight." He glanced up into the air to look at some birds flying by peacefully. "Yes, let's lead them here, Freond. You are truely a good ranger...I never thought it possible of a woman.." he said with a youthfull smirk, softening the meaning of his words. He mounted Glórmalen and started to ride back to the group. "can you smell it in the air?" he said as they rode along. "the snow, it will soon fall, in the higher region. We should be save at our new shelter."

The group seemed to have seen them coming and joined up with them again to follow them back to the shelter between the trees. As soon as they arrived there, everyone was busy to get himself comfortable. Erkenwine glanced at Freond. "Let me take your horse to drink at the river. What is it you call him?"

Curulindel had helped to gather branches for the fire, and soon the day had passed in preparing their beds, having some food and drink. The young boy Thad had enjoyed himself very much practising with his sword and while the rest of the group had lay down to get some sleep, Thad still seemed full of energy. Curulindel smiled at him and then lay down for the night. "Fuin vaer! Elei velui.." he said as he looked over at Erkenwine, who lay closeby near Freond. "And for you too, mellon nín." Erkenwine winked. Curulindel stared up at the sky before he dropped off into a short elven sleep.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 16, 2006 09:04
"Yes, let's lead them here, Freond. You are truely a good ranger...I never thought it possible of a woman.." he said with a youthfull smirk, softening the meaning of his words. He mounted Glórmalen and started to ride back to the group. "can you smell it in the air?" he said as they rode along. "the snow, it will soon fall, in the higher region. We should be save at our new shelter."

“And you are truly a good ranger as well, at least for a man,” Freond shot back teasingly, then looked up at the sky. “Yes, I smell it. I hope it isn’t too deep when we are to set out… snow is beautiful, but it makes travel difficult.”

The group seemed to have seen them coming and joined up with them again to follow them back to the shelter between the trees. As soon as they arrived there, everyone was busy to get himself comfortable. Erkenwine glanced at Freond. "Let me take your horse to drink at the river. What is it you call him?"

“It’s Sirn,” Freond replied with a smile, “And thank-you… I’d be very grateful, and so would he.”

As he guided the horse away Freond looked after him, thinking that he really was very charismatic- and she rather enjoyed his company.
It wasn’t long before everyone was settled down for sleep. The woman ranger didn’t mind when Erkenwine laid out his bedroll near hers- she actually smiled to herself before bidding him goodnight. She was swiftly asleep, and even as she drifted into slumber she was aware of the chill in the air…

And she woke up to find the chill even more prevalent. Sitting up, she saw Naru over by the trees, looking out.

"OH!" she breathed, and ventured to reach out a hand to try and catch them in her palm... and to her curiousity, laughed with delight when they instantly melted.

- And, at the amused looks from some in their grou, Naru's cheeks colored slightly. "You'll have to forgive me," she apologized, "but, I've never seen snow before…"

Freond grinned as she got to her feet and stretched, looking about at the others. Erkenwine was still asleep, and she nudged him with her boot and then kneeled over him as he opened his eyes, smiling down at him.
“You were right,” she said, “Snow! It’s still falling, too…”

She walked over to join the elleth. The landscape *was* beautiful- something out of an elvlish tale, she thought- but she guessed that the snow would continue, and maybe worsen, as the day drew on.
“It’s lovely, isn’t it?” She asked Naru, “No jeweler could make diamonds like those, I suspect. The only downfall is that they don’t last.”
With the same smile she turned to Ciryacáno, and voiced his thoughts.
“The decision about which path to take is no longer a difficult one, I think. Should we get breakfast started so that we can get underway? There’s enough dry wood and kindling around us to have a small fire…”

BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 17, 2006 09:54
Ciryacáno looked at the snow, dismayed that it had begun so soon. There was already an inch or so on the ground and it did not look as though it was going to stop soon.

“The decision about which path to take is no longer a difficult one, I think. Should we get breakfast started so that we can get underway? There’s enough dry wood and kindling around us to have a small fire…”

When he heard Freond's voice behind him, he turned and smiled, "Yes, the decision has been made. We must get everyone up and moving as I want to get far enough to find shelter in the mountains for the night. This does not look like it is going to stop anytime soon."

He slid under the shelter of the trees, and woke Thad first. "Thad, please take care of the horses while we get breakfast ready. Be sure they are all watered and," he sighed, concerned about their long term supplies, "I think a bit of the oats might be given them. They will have a difficult climb ahead of them." Patting the young boy on the shoulder, he finished by saying, "and then come back and eat something yourself. It will be a long day."

Walking over to Falmiel's side, he knelt, touching her cheek and softly calling her name. When her eyes opened to meet his, he bent and kissed her forehead. "Time to get up, love. We have snow falling and it is going to be a long cold ride today, I fear." He stroked her cheek, thinking how lovely she looked in the morning...but then she was lovely at any time, he chuckled. Kissing her once more, feeling the warmth of passion run through his veins, he stood and began the process of gathering kindling and branches, quickly beginning a fire.

He went out with a pot in hand to get water from the stream and found Naru standing with her hand out, catching snowflakes and watching them melt. There was delight in her eyes, like a child experiencing some new exciting event for the first time. She confirmed that when she said,

"You'll have to forgive me," she apologized, "but, I've never seen snow before…"

"Really? You've never seen snow before?" Cir asked. Laughing with her, he pointed to the heavens. "I am afraid you will see more than you ever wanted before this day ends," noting that the wind was picking up quickly and the snow was blowing sideways now. "Why not go in and see what you can do about finding food. I'm going to get some water so we will all have at least a warm drink before we head out." He continued to the stream, filling the pot with water and returning to the shelter of the trees, putting the pot on the fire to heat the water it held. When the water was heated, he dug into his bag and pulled out herbs to add to it, making a hot beverage for everyone. Pouring a small mug full, he took it to Falmiel, placing it into her cold hands, his hands over hers, smiling happily at her.

"Here, my love, drink this. You'll feel much more energy than you do now," he said grinning, noticing how she seemed to want to stay under her blankets. Rising to his feet, he walked over and squatted down next to Curulindel.

"I wasn't expecting the change of weather this soon." He surveyed the small group around him and shrugged his shoulders. "I know it will be difficult for many of this group. Naru, for example, has never even seen snow before, and though it amuses her now, by the end of the day she will be feeling its weight on her shoulders. Freond and Erkenwine I do not worry for...they have become used to this and know how to handle it. And you also have experienced traveling under these conditions. I must admit though, I have seen snow before, but never have I ever traveled in it. I will be glad of your presence. Keep an eye on Thad especially, as will I. His little pony may find it more difficult even than our horses if it gets too deep. He's a brave lad, but I fear he will overestimate his abilities."

When the breakfast was over and the fire buried in some of the snow, the group collected their horses, which Thad had carefully fed and watered and had already saddled for the group, and they all mounted. Cir called to Erkenwine, Freond and Curulindel.

"Take the lead, my friends. Our welfare is in your hands. We will ride as long as we can and then we must find shelter for the night so as the day wanes, keep an eye out for a suitable place."

With that, the group began heading further and further into the mountains, the snow falling harder, the wind blowing stronger.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2006 04:14
(OOC: I apologize to everyone for holding this rp up. Life has just become very difficult recently due to my health and other things. So, Val will be leaving the group for now. Hopefully, once I have some more control over things, he may return.)

The snow had gotten quite thick and Valandil found himself shooting more and more looks at Ciendra. The maiden seemed to be struggling - although Val knew from experience that she would never say so aloud.

Prompting his horse to trot further, he came alongside with Cir.

"Cir." he said. "I do believe something is wrong with Ciendra; gravely wrong. I do not like the look of her."

His mouth tasted almost bitter with the next words. "I think I should take her back to Rivendell."

Leaving his friend's side was the last thing that the elf wanted. However, Ciendra had oft been in his care when she was a small child and he still felt that need to protect and care for her.

And Cir would have a great deal of help. Perhaps Val would be able to rejoin them again.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 23, 2006 04:51
Cir was keeping an eye on his group carefully, while Erkenwine, Freond and Curulindel led the way ahead. It was early afternoon and the snow was getting deeper; Cir had just called out to the three in front and asked them to find some shelter so they could stop for a quick meal and a rest, when Val rode up next to him.

"Cir." he said. "I do believe something is wrong with Ciendra; gravely wrong. I do not like the look of her."

His mouth tasted almost bitter with the next words. "I think I should take her back to Rivendell."

Cir glanced back at Ceindra and noted how pale she looked, her brow furrowed and her body wrapped closely in her cloak. Looking into Val's eyes, Cir noticed the bitterness and pain in his eyes. He reached across the gap between the horses and gripped Val's arm. "Valandil, yes, you must take her back for she surely cannot go herself. No, no, don't look as though you are betraying me for I know that you would never do that, my friend. Go now, I'll tell the others when we stop. Are you sure you would not like to stop with us first? Or will you head back for the trees for shelter? You should at least have something hot to drink and eat, for her sake if not your own."

When Val shook his head, telling Cir he'd find a place on the way back to stop for Ceindra, Cir leaned across and gripped both of Val's shoulders. "Nai aïstale Vala hilye le, meldol. ** I will carry you both with me in my heart."

Sadly, Cir watched as Valandil rode back to Ceindra's side, leaning over and talking to her. Her head rose and she looked across at Cir, smiling with pain in her eyes. Cir put his hand over his heart, bowing at his waist to her, never losing the look they shared. With a small wave, Ceindra turned her horse around and began to head back. Val and Cir shared a look and then both bowed their heads, and Val turned after Ceindra and they were soon lost in the falling snow.

Cir sat astride his horse, suddenly feeling a warm hand over his. Turning, he saw Falmiel sitting next to him. He had forgotten she was there but apparently she had heard the exchange and was comforting him. He looked ruefully at her, leaning over to kiss her soft lips, but his heart was momentarily bleeding at the loss of his oldest and dearest friend.

"I'll be alright, love...it's just such a .. such a loss to me. We have gone everywhere together since we were elflings." He looked back over his shoulder and noticed that the snow had already filled in the steps of his two friends from home.
'
**May the blessing of the Valar be with you, friend.

[Edited on 24/2/2006 by BerethEdhellen]
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2006 12:11
When Falmiel heard that Val and Ceindra were leaving the group, she felt sad, although she had not even known them for a long time. She knew that Val was Cir's best friend and she felt for her love, because she knew what a loss it must be to him. She also regretted not having had a chance to get to know Val a little better.

Sadly she observed Cir, in whose face she could clearly see the pain of losing yet another friend, considering that his mentor had left not too long ago. Suddenly Falmiel became afraid. Would they still be enough for the mission. Would they be strong enough?

Falmiel watched as Cir put his hand over his heart, bowing at his waist to Ceindra, never losing the look they shared. With a small wave, Ceindra turned her horse around and began to head back. Val and Cir shared a look and then both bowed their heads, and Val turned after Ceindra and they were soon lost in the falling snow.

Silently Falmiel urged her horse forward until she was side by side with Cir and without speaking lay a hand over his. He looked ruefully at her, leaning over to kiss her soft lips. But she could feel that his thoughts were elsewhere now and just remained close to him

"I'll be alright, love...it's just such a .. such a loss to me. We have gone everywhere together since we were elflings." She squeezed his hand to reassure him, then said softly, "I know - but you will see him again." She stopped abruptly. Was this true, would he see his friend again, would they all return to Imladris some day. She looked at the falling snow and shivered. Under her breath a small prayer escaped her lips. It was meant as well for Val and Ceindra's safety as their own.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 26, 2006 12:11
Really? You've never seen snow before?" Cir asked. Laughing with her, he pointed to the heavens. "I am afraid you will see more than you ever wanted before this day ends," noting that the wind was picking up quickly and the snow was blowing sideways now. "Why not go in and see what you can do about finding food. I'm going to get some water so we will all have at least a warm drink before we head out."

Rather thinking the ellon was 'right', Naruiel nodded and headed back to help with breakfast.

Before long, though, the group was again on their way... Erkenwine, Freond and Curulindel now in the lead. She was behind them... Cir, Thad, Valandil, and Ciendra bringing up the rear of their small party. Pulling her cloak more securely around her, Naru glanced doubtfully up at the sky. No... there was no sign of the snowstorm letting up... though she was determined to go on without complaint.

And then, she heard the Archer talking quietly with Cir.

"I think I should take her back to Rivendell."

"Valandil, yes, you must take her back for she surely cannot go herself. No, no, don't look as though you are betraying me for I know that you would never do that, my friend. Go now, I'll tell the others when we stop. Are you sure you would not like to stop with us first? Or will you head back for the trees for shelter? You should at least have something hot to drink and eat, for her sake if not your own."

When Val shook his head, telling Cir he'd find a place on the way back to stop for Ceindra, Cir leaned across and gripped both of Val's shoulders. "Nai aïstale Vala hilye le, meldol. ** I will carry you both with me in my heart."

Glancing backwards to see the two elves departing, Naruiel sighed inwardly. Four less that now made... and she was particularly sorry to see the ellon disappearing through the swirling snow. She'd enjoyed practicing with him... and talking with him, but in hearing Valandil's concern for his friend, the elleth understood.

Slowing her mare slightly, Naru waited for Cir and Falmiel to catch up with her, nodding politely at Thad.

"Hîr nín," she said to their group's leader, "I see what you mean about the snow," she grinned, not letting the lacy flakes bother her at all, then smiled at Falmiel, thinking she still wanted to become better friends with all who were remaining, and promising herself to talk with everyone when they should stop for a short rest.

And so, bringing her mount next to the other elleth's, Naru chuckled. "It seems you and I are the 'beginners' here, doesn't it?" she asked of Falmiel. "Have you been much in snow before?"

Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2006 01:45
Erkenwine opend his eyes suddenly and sat up in an instant when he felt the shove of a boot looking straight at Freond's face. He was awake instantly. That was the way he lived. Especially when he was travelling alone, his sleep was terribly light,like that of a cat, but in company it felt safer. He got up and stretched. "snow?" he had heard Freond mention it and indeed a snowflake settled on his nose. it was indeed beautiful and looking beautifully too, but for a a large travelling group who wanted to cross Hithaeglir, it wasn't good news.

Curulindel had been awake a long time. Elves didn't have need for a lot of sleep and when Ciryácano walked past and expressing his worries about the sudden snow fall he nodded. "no, it is not good, that it has started so early. I had hoped we had more time to cross." Curulindel got up and started to collect his things. "yes, I have seen snow before, very high up on the mountains. many elves of Imladris are aquainted with it, we live very close to snowy regions. Nevertheless, we do not make a habit of travelling in it. I shall do my best to keep an eye on Thad, and of course anyone else as best I can." He rolled a small blanket together, then sat down with the others for breakfast.

Soon after the group was up on their horses again. Erkenwine was riding at the front with Freond, while Curulindel rode just slightly behind them. He turned his head once, when the words of Cir and Val reached his sensitive elven ears. "so Val and Ceindra will leave us. Our group is shrinking fast." Erkenwine turned his head as well. "I fear it is not good news, that Val is returning to imladris. But better now than when we have gone up to the top." he turned to look at Freond, his charming company. "I think we should be reaching the tunnel soon. Maybe we can set up camp in front of it to discuss the path through it. Its very dark in there, and the passage will be long and boring..."
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 26, 2006 02:53
When he heard Freond's voice behind him, he turned and smiled, "Yes, the decision has been made. We must get everyone up and moving as I want to get far enough to find shelter in the mountains for the night. This does not look like it is going to stop anytime soon."

Freond nodded and saw to the business of starting a fire and breakfast. Although it was a rather hasty affair they were still moving too slow for *her* liking- she thought they should move on as soon as possible, what with the snow falling.

When the breakfast was over and the fire buried in some of the snow, the group collected their horses, which Thad had carefully fed and watered and had already saddled for the group, and they all mounted. Cir called to Erkenwine, Freond and Curulindel.

"Take the lead, my friends. Our welfare is in your hands. We will ride as long as we can and then we must find shelter for the night so as the day wanes, keep an eye out for a suitable place."

With that, the group began heading further and further into the mountains, the snow falling harder, the wind blowing stronger.

Erkenwine was riding at the front with Freond, while Curulindel rode just slightly behind them. He turned his head once, when the words of Cir and Val reached his sensitive elven ears. "so Val and Ceindra will leave us. Our group is shrinking fast." Erkenwine turned his head as well. "I fear it is not good news, that Val is returning to imladris. But better now than when we have gone up to the top." he turned to look at Freond, his charming company. "I think we should be reaching the tunnel soon. Maybe we can set up camp in front of it to discuss the path through it. Its very dark in there, and the passage will be long and boring..."

Freond glanced over her shoulder but didn’t really turn in the saddle. There group was shrinking- and that would probably make travel easier, but lonlier… and she suspected that Cir was taking the loss hard from the look on his face. She nodded in response to the ranger’s words.
“I think so- and depending on how hard the snow is coming down by the time we reach it, we may need to set up camp just inside. Cramped it would be, but better than trying to sleep in the snow- for some of us, at least. And I don’t doubt the passage will be long, and dark… we’ll need torches… but I somehow cannot foresee it as being boring.”
A small smile touched the woman’s lips, though she was feeling anything but mirthful. The air was cold and the path was under snow. As they moved on she kept careful vigilance, asking Erkenwine about the direction at certain points, half-wishing she could think of something to converse about… but with the ‘loss’ of two of their company there seemed to be a general joylessness hovering over them like the heavy snow-clouds..
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 28, 2006 03:30
Cir was extremely depressed with the loss of Valandil, but he plodded on behind the two Rangers and Erkenwine. He constantly turned back to be sure that Naruiel and Thad were keeping up with them and was pleased to see the elf who had never seen snow was doing very well. Thad was of greater concern to him, however. His small pony, Jordy, was rapidly finding tracking through the snow, which was growing deeper and deeper, more difficult. It would soon be up to its belly and Cir wondered how long it could travel under those conditions.

Turning to Falmiel, he told her to just keep riding, he'd be right back. Then he rode up next to Curulindel, close enough to speak to the two Rangers directly ahead. "The hour grows late, darkened even more by the clouds overhead. If you think we can make the entrance to the tunnel before nightfall, we will continue. If however, you don't see that as a possibility, we must soon find shelter where we can. I leave it to you to make that decision but it is one or the other and we must very soon make it." Turning to Curulindel, he lowered his voice, wishing to keep this conversation between the two of them.

"Curulindel, I think it is going to become very important that we team up for protection sake. Erkenwine and Freond are comfortable together and of course Falmiel will ride with me. I can protect Thad as well, but Naruiel is alone, and very unfamiliar with this environment. She is from much further south and though I cannot fault her bravery, it is her knowledge of how to survive that concerns. Would you mind very much keeping an eye on her? Ride near her and tell her what to expect and how best to deal with it. Without Val, I am at a loss to keep everyone covered."

Riding back to Falmiel, he was able to take a good look at Thad and Naruiel. Both looked frozen and both their cloaks were encrusted with snow. Jordy was trudging along bravely but slipping now and then. Cir reached out and patted Falmiel's reddened frosty cheek as he rode past her but he had made a decision. As he reached Naruiel and Thad, he gave Naruiel the order to ride up to Curulindel and stay near him behind the two Rangers, where she could lead her horse in their footsteps. To Thad, he smiled, saying how well Jordy had been doing up to know but that he needed some relief.

"Thad, your weight, light as it is, is burdening him right now. I want you to climb up behind me and we'll just lead Jordy behind us. I think he'll find it easier going that way." Thad nodded, knowing his brave little pony had indeed been struggling.

"Jordy, you have to stand very still now, boy, while I climb up on your back. But it will just be for a minute then you can just walk next to me, okay?" Thad patted his pony on the neck and then very carefully he crawled to his feet on the saddle and stretched his arm to Cir, who caught it and swung the lad over to the back of his own horse. Leaning down, he caught Jordy's reins in his hand and handed them back to Thad to hold. The young boy wrapped his arms around Cir's waist, hanging on doggedly to the reins, and Cir began to catch up with the rest of the group.

When he reached Falmiel's side, he smiled warmly, asking how she was doing. "I know this must be difficult for you, love, but it won't be much longer until we stop for the night." Reaching across the gap between their horses he found her hand, buried under her cloak. It was sooo cold but then all of them were cold, but he hated to see his beloved suffering. Calling ahead to Erkenwine and Freond, he asked, "How much further do you think this tunnel of yours is. We must yet make a camp and the darkness is falling quickly."
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 06, 2006 08:27
Freond was well aware of everything that happened behind them… but her attention was mainly on the path ahead. She was becoming anxious to find the tunnel, not wanting to be caught out in the open, under the heavy snow, at night. For herself, she could have managed… she’d spent nights out in the cold… but there was Thad to worry about, and the others… she consulted Erkenwine about her concerns.

Calling ahead to Erkenwine and Freond, he asked, "How much further do you think this tunnel of yours is. We must yet make a camp and the darkness is falling quickly

“Not far,” Freond called back, “We should be coming up on it soon!”

And – Thankfully- only about half-an hour more did they have to travel before the tunnel came into view. It looked dark and foreboding, a gaping opening without any light… but to the travelers eager to leave the snow behind, it was welcome. Even so, Freond suggested that she and Erkenwine take a torch and check just inside the tunnel to make sure it was safe. She had a single torch in her things, and since they wouldn’t find any dry wood, she had to use it.

Upon inspection of the tunnel she found it cold and uncomfortable, but snowless and dry a small distance from the opening. It looked well-traveled, which would have been cause for concern, except that it seemed it hadnt been used in quite some time. The way wasn’t very wide at all, and it looked like they would have to lead their horses in single-file-- but they would be able to lie down, if they had to lie side-by-side and in a row. The ceiling, at least, was high enough. After finding agreement with her companion they went out and shared their findings with the others.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: March 06, 2006 10:28
Shivering, and trying to keep her cloak as close to herself as possible, Naruiel kept her mare plodding onwards. Elves aren't *supposed* to 'feel' the cold! the elleth griped inwardly... but then, she'd never experienced this KIND of 'cold' before.

She noticed, dully, when Cir went past her to speak to the Smith, but Naru's concentration was on keeping Maidhiel from stumbling into the drifts as she and Thad followed behind the two rangers and Curulindel, and so heard nothing of their converstation. - And then, the leader of their group turned back to rejoin Falmiel.

As he reached Naruiel and Thad, he gave Naruiel the order to ride up to Curulindel and stay near him behind the two Rangers, where she could lead her horse in their footsteps.

Biting her lip, Naru nodded, and obediently urged her mare into place. Glancing at the elf, and more to keep her teeth from chattering than anything else, "Have you been on this path before, hîr nín?" she inquired curiously, wondering if the ellon could give her any insight into what was coming next.

Before long, the two rangers reported the tunnel's entrance was near, and had gone inside with torches to make sure it was safe.

Sitting on her horse, Naruiel hoped inwardly it wouldn't take too long... inwardly only wanting to rest and get out of the snowy weather for just a little while.

Yet, not one word of 'complaint' would she let escape her lips. Instead, broached a subject she thought all of them would be interested in.

"Do you think we'll be able to find enough wood for a fire, hîr Curulindel?" she asked hopefully.
<< First910111213
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email