Register

<< First89101112Last >>
Author Topic:
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: KEEP: Time Warp in Wales
on: December 05, 2005 02:49
Ceindra smiled, and went to Cir's side. "I'm surprised you even have to ask. I would follow you to the ends of the Earth if you wanted me to." She watched her old friend for only a few moments more before turning to Val. She didn't want to leave him behind.
"And what of you, Val? What will you do?" Her eyes were fixed upon his. "Will you leave us?" Her words meant more than they appeared.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: December 06, 2005 04:38
(OOC: Please check the OOC for TW before your next post)

Ciryácano looked at his friends and new acquaintances, and felt a great sense of relief in his heart. "My friends, you cannot know how much your support means to this mission. I would suggest that we rest ourselves and make the necessary preparations to begin this journey on the morrow. Let us meet here for the morning meal"

Rising from the table, he smiled down at Falmiel, who rose next to him at once. Together they left the Halls of Fire and wandered off into the gardens. Finding a small wooden bench, he led her to it, and they both sat down side by side and very close together. He leaned over and kissed her gently, then sat back and looked at her sternly.

"Falmiel, my dearest one, this trek is not one for the faint of heart," and held up his palm when she looked as though she was about to argue, and continued, "not that I think that of you. I know, though how I cannot imagine, I know your heart is brave and strong, but there are dangers we cannot begin to foresee. I have finally found the one that I love and I would not wish anything to happen to you. Will you not stay here, where I know you will be safe?"

When she had given him the answer he knew she would, he suggested that they part now as there was much he needed to prepare for before the morning came. Walking her to her doorstep, he held her close to his heart, his head resting on the top of hers. Leaning down, he kissed her passionately, then stepped back. "I would never leave you if there were a way I could stay, my love. But you must sleep alone for now, as must I." He turned to leave then turned back, catching her up in his arms, kissing her one more time. Breathless, he set her down, and turned abruptly, striding down the path to his own lodgings.

As he reached his room in the Homely House, he opened the door, and was immediately attacked by a small, mop haired boy. "Where have you been, Sir Cir? I was busy all day, making my sword with Curulindel. It's almost finished and not a moment too soon, huh? We're going on a trip, I heard." His eyes were wide with excitement as he clung to Cir's arm.

"Thad, you cannot come with us, my child. This journey will lead us to places unknown and I cannot in good conscience lead you into danger. I want you to stay here with Elrond and learn to read and use the weapons you will make while we're gone." He rubbed his hand across Thad's head, pushing the curls back from his forehead and looking into his eyes with seriousness in his own eyes. "You may come on our next trip when you have mastered some skills."

Thad stared at him, tears forming and dripping down his cheeks. "No, Sir Cir. I will not stay. You can teach me whatever I need to know while we travel. If you leave me, I will follow you. You are the only one who has ever cared about me, and I love you like a big brother. I will not be left behind, do you hear me, Sir Cir? I will not stay here without you." His voice was full of emotion and it was obvious to Cir that he meant every word. Kneeling down so that they could be eye to eye, Cir gazed at Thad for long moments. Finally, he succumbed to the boys pleas.

"Alright, Thad, you may come, but......." and he pointed his finger at Thad, "you must obey me at all times. If I tell you to hide, you will hide. If I tell you to run, you will run. You will not disobey me no matter what you see or fear. Are we in agreement?" Thad's head nodded up and down rapidly, and the tears disappeared immediately. "Alright, then, the first thing we must do is pack what we will need. Let's get started."

The next morning, after a night of tossing and turning, Cir woke Thad and together they walked to the Hall of Fire to meet with the others.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2005 07:37
"My friends,” Cir said,” you cannot know how much your support means to this mission. I would suggest that we rest ourselves and make the necessary preparations to begin this journey on the morrow. Let us meet here for the morning meal"

Rising from the table, he smiled down at Falmiel, who rose next to him at once. Together they left the Halls of Fire and wandered off into the gardens. Finding a small wooden bench, he led her to it, and they both sat down side by side and very close together. He leaned over and kissed her gently, then sat back and looked at her sternly. Falmiel could see his expression and somehow knew what was coming. In her mind she rolled her eyes, not daring to do so openly as not to offend him.

"Falmiel, my dearest one, this trek is not one for the faint of heart," and held up his palm when she wanted to say something that would stop this at once, and continued, "not that I think that of you. I know, though how I cannot imagine, I know your heart is brave and strong, but there are dangers we cannot begin to foresee. I have finally found the one that I love and I would not wish anything to happen to you. Will you not stay here, where I know you will be safe?"

Falmiel just looked at him for a moment, then she said “Cir, these are dangerous times – and for all you know, Imladris could be overrun by Sauron’s armies tomorrow. I would rather be in danger at your side, then wonder all the time what happened to you. If you leave without me, we might never see each other again.” She stopped, took a deep breath and then continued. “Please, do not ask me to go form your side again. You have to understand…”

After she had finished, he suggested that they part now as there was much he needed to prepare for before the morning came. Walking her to her doorstep, he held her close to his heart, his head resting on the top of hers. Leaning down, he kissed her passionately, then stepped back. "I would never leave you if there were a way I could stay, my love. But you must sleep alone for now, as must I." He turned to leave then turned back, catching her up in his arms, kissing her one more time. Breathless, he set her down, and turned abruptly, striding down the path to his own lodgings.

With regret Falmiel watched him go towards his own rooms. His kisses still on her lips, tasting sweet and dear. With a sigh she turned around – she still had to see Lord Elrond to let him know about her definite decision. When that task was done, she returned to her room and packed what she deemed necessary. She would travel light. Her weapons, a cloak, which could also be used as a blanket, a change of clothes and of course her pouch of herbs, carefully selected for the needs they might have. The rest of her things she packed into a huge wooden chest, which she looked. She placed the key on the table – a servant would give it to Lord Elrond – in that way the room could be used for guests.

The next morning, Falmiel was up very early. She immediately went to the hall of fire, waiting for Cir and the others to arrive.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2005 08:31
"And what of you, Val? What will you do?" Ciendra's eyes were fixed upon his. "Will you leave us?"

"Of course not." Val answered softly. "Cir knows better than that. He and I are brothers in all terms save for blood."

"My friends, you cannot know how much your support means to this mission. I would suggest that we rest ourselves and make the necessary preparations to begin this journey on the morrow. Let us meet here for the morning meal" Cir stood then. Val watched him, slighlty concered, but the other elf seemed just fine.

Val pushed away from the wall and smiled at Ciendra. "I suppose we should all get some rest. Especially you, little one." He was teasing her; it was wrong, but it was so much fun.

However, he did not wait for her to rebutt it. With a nod, the elven scout walked back to his apartments and quickly fell asleep.

The next morning, he awoke early and packed his belongings, before heading to the Hall to see the others.

Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2005 09:26
Laughing softly, Ceindra turned and made her way to her own room. Although she'd never admit it to Val, she was indeed exhausted, and couldn't wait to go to sleep. There would be need for a lot of energy the next day...

Ceindra's dreams that night were anything but pleasant. They were filled with death and destruction, as everyone who ment anything to her were slaughtered before her eyes, Cir last of all. His murder tore her apart, causing her to scream. Suddenly, her eyes snapped open, and she sa up swiftly. She was breathing heavily, and was drenched in cold sweat.
She sighed roughly. It was only a dream...just a dream...She fell asleep again, only to wake a few hours later, not exactly rested, but ready for the hard day ahead.

Ceindra descended early, and arrived in the Hall when only a few elves were about. She rubbed her eyes to try and wake herself up a bit more, and walked over to Val, who seemed to be the only one of their company up yet. "Ready?" she asked playfully. "Sure you haven't forgotten anything? You know as well as I do that you're a bit of a scatter-brain..."
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: December 08, 2005 01:49
"My friends,” Cir said,” you cannot know how much your support means to this mission. I would suggest that we rest ourselves and make the necessary preparations to begin this journey on the morrow. Let us meet here for the morning meal"

With a nod of agreement, Naruiel rose and slipped out of the Hall of Fire, heading for her own rooms. It didn't take the elleth long to pack, since she'd barely unpacked only a few days earlier.

Her wish to retire early, however, was foiled by the (expected) arguments Naru's older brother threw at her... and, indeed, he got quite 'heated' in his efforts to keep his sister there in Imladris. - Yet, Naruiel was determined, and stayed steadfast in her decision to go along, and by well after dark, knew she'd won her case.

Despite the lack of as much sleep as she wanted, Naruiel was up and ready to depart when Cir should order it... and deposited her packs and sword by the door for when that time came.

Coming back to the Hall, Naruiel saw that Valandil and Ceindra were the only others of their group yet there... and just as the latter was saying something to the former.

"Sure you haven't forgotten anything? You know as well as I do that you're a bit of a scatter-brain..."

"Good morning!" Naruiel smiled to them, and added a polite bow. "I certainly could use a cup of tea!" she went on, and "Would either of you like some?" the elleth inquired, and motioned to one of the servants to bring enough for their whole group - if such be later wished for...

"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 09, 2005 06:14
Ciryácano looked at his friends and new acquaintances, and felt a great sense of relief in his heart. "My friends, you cannot know how much your support means to this mission. I would suggest that we rest ourselves and make the necessary preparations to begin this journey on the morrow. Let us meet here for the morning meal"

Freond was only too happy to agree and, rising, bade a soft good-night to those that still remained in the hall- giving a smile to the ranger who's accompanied her earlier- then went to the room that had been prepared for her. Packing she didn't need to do, except for some things that had been cleaned. The woman was exhausted; only moments after climbing into the bed- thinking how heavenly it was to actually be in a proper bed- she was deep in sleep, though it was still rather early and others were still stirring without.

She didn't wake at all during the night, and it was with reluctance that she rose the next morning. The sun streamed in and pooled on the floor in places, looking much like a rippling puddle with the shadows of leaves fluttering before the window. Keeping true to her ways, she was dressed and had taken her things to the stable to be laden on the horse when the time came for departure, even before going to the morning meal. Three elves only were present, and Freond thought breifly that she could have slept a little longer, since everyone else seemed to be getting a late start- but dismissed the thought quickly and approached the table. A servant was just bringing in some tea.
"Good morning," Freond said to the elves with a nod and a small smile, "It looks like we'll have a good day for traveling."

Very soon she had some tea of her own. It was very good and refreshing, better than cold spring water or stale ale. After the first sip she gave a long sigh and sat down, wondering how soon they'd set out. She'd never traveled with a large group before- never more than two or three, anyway- and that was hard enough. Keeping hidden and going with stealth was difficult enough alone... but, it was not really her concern. She would not be leading the company- she was merely a last-minute addition, though she'd had something to do with it all along, fetching information on the wizard for Elrond. A hard lonely trek that had been... and setting out again after one night of real rest in safety? Freond chuckled to herself over the tea.

Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2005 08:18
"Ready?" Ciendra asked playfully. "Sure you haven't forgotten anything? You know as well as I do that you're a bit of a scatter-brain..."

Val looked up and smiled at her. "Oh, I think I have everything prepared." he said. "And what about you? Are you sure you have everything you need?"

"Good morning!" Val looked over as Naruiel smiled to him and Ciendra, as she added a polite bow. "I certainly could use a cup of tea!" she went on. "Would either of you like some?"

"No, I am fine." Val said, equally polite. He had stood when she entered and returned her polite bow. He was about to sit again, when another elleth entered.

"Good morning," Freond said to the elves with a nod and a small smile, "It looks like we'll have a good day for traveling."

"Indeed." Val smiled back at her politely. "A good sign."

Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2005 10:10
OOC: you didn't reply to my pm. so..I'll just post, I can still change my charries minds to make it fit with your decision, Bereth'.

After the pledges had been made Curulindel had returned to smithery and spent most of the night to finish off Thad's sword adding the carvings on the blade and fixing a hilt to it. Only then had he gone to his mother's house for the rest of the early morning, to wash and pack. He also prepared the sword for Thad to hand it over to him when they all met for the morning meal in Lord Elrond's house. Finally the time had come and Curulindel too the sword wrapped in a thin layer of fine leather to avoid it being scratched or notched before it's first battle...or use, in this case. Curulindel didn't really think that Thad would be going with Cir. He quietly entered the hall where most of the others had already assembled. He was in fact the last one to arrive. Or nearly the last. Erkenwine hadn't arrived as yet. Curulindel's eyes searched for the boy to hand him his sword.

Erkenwine had gone to bed soon after everyone had told Ciryacáno of their plans to go with him or part. His sleep had been deep and peaceful without any disturbances as usually when he stayed in Rivendell. There was no need to be watchful in your sleep when you stayed in these soft and delightful beds, with the outside air so calm and peaceful. When he had gotten up and gathered his few things for the journey, he had gone down towards the bridge to watch the river Bruinen roar at its loudest. Then he had found a well to wash his face and finally arrived in the hall at Elrond's house where everyone was already assembled. "Good morrow to you all." he said brightly on entering. His eyes having found Freond, the pretty ranger woman who was drinking some tea. "I hope this is Imladris' most famous elderberry blossom tea you are drinking there? And would you be so helpful as to direct me to a cup of it?" he said with a cheerfull smile and a friendly tone of voice.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: December 13, 2005 12:33
(( OOC: I'm not sure who else bereth may have had time to contact, but I had a brief PM from her today that she's asked me to pass on [she sneaked on for a few minutes at work].

She's got serious computer problems - her brand new comp had to be completely wiped, and the techies have found multiple viruses, trojans, and worms that her virus checker missed. She'll not have either comp back until [probably] the 19th. ))

After Valandil politely refused an offer of tea, Naruiel accepted a cup for herself, and after inhaling the aroma, took a grateful sip. She was just heading for a seat by the window, when the woman ranger, Freond came in.

"Indeed." Val smiled back at her politely. "A good sign."

"So it should be," Naru agreed, and noticed that Freond, too, was enjoying the hot warming drink, and the elleth sat back to just watch for the others of their group to come in.

Not long after, the Smith entered, carrying a sword carefully wrapped in leather, and he seemed to be searching for someone not yet arrived. Since he appeared preoccupied, Naruiel merely nodded a polite 'good morning', and returned her gaze to the door - in time to see the other Human of their party, Erkenwine, just closing it behind him.

"Good morrow to you all." he said brightly on entering. His eyes having found Freond, the pretty ranger woman who was drinking some tea. "I hope this is Imladris' most famous elderberry blossom tea you are drinking there? And would you be so helpful as to direct me to a cup of it?" he said with a cheerfull smile and a friendly tone of voice.

Once more murmuring a greeting Naru smiled to herself to see the ranger immediately addressing Freond. - It would be an... interesting trip, this, the elleth thought... in more ways than one.

The door to the kitchen then opened, and the delicious aromas of breakfast wafted into the Dining Hall of Imladris.

"It seems they're giving us a hearty send-off!" Naruiel commented aloud, sending another smile around the room...
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2005 07:42
"Indeed!" Ceindra laughed. "The hospitality of the Imladris Elves is fabled as the best in the world!" She breathed in the wonderful smell of cooking food. She was hungrier than she had thought...

Taking her seat at the table, Ceindra waited for the others to sit down. She now couldn't wait for the food to be served. Naruiel took the seat on her right. Ceindra turned to her with a smile. "Have you always live here in Rivendell?" she asked her.

BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 11:45
Cir and Thad arrived at the dining hall and noticed that Val, Ceindra, Freond, Naruiel, Erkenwine, Gelmir and Curulindel were already there and seated, as the elves served a warming meal to break their fast. Talindra had not yet arrived, and Falmiel was also absent, and for a moment, Cir's heart fell like a stone. Had she decided not to come after all? Although he would prefer that she remained where she would be safe, yet still did he want her by his side. His heart was torn in half. Nevertheless, he greeted everyone cheerfully.

"I see you have all risen early. I must admit, I am going to welcome the morning meal. I stopped at the stables and the kitchen on my way here and have made all the necessary arrangements for provisions to be added to our packs. We should leave as soon as we are finished here." He sat at the table with the rest when suddenly Thad yelped aloud.

"Curulindel! Is that my sword? Did you finish it? Oh good, not a moment too soon as I will certainly need it on this journey." He ran to Curulindel's side, stroking the leather covered length of the sword which had been forged to match his size. "May I see it, please?" Those at the table were amused by the young lad's excitement but it could be said some may have questioned the wisdom of bringing him along. They none of them knew of the conversation that had taken place between Cir and the boy so they could be allowed their concerns.

"Gelmir, have you and Talindra come up with the route which we must travel?" Cir asked the elderly scholar. "And does she plan to accompany us?"

"Yes, Cir, we have. I have mapped out our journey to where the Blue Wizards were last seen." He lowered his head for a moment, then raised it again to look at the group at the table. "We must travel through the Forest of Mirkwood into the east towards the Orocarni Mountains. We will be traversing a wilderness south of the Lonely Mountain yet north of the Sea of Rhûn. Little is known of this area except that there are dangers for certain." Looking at Cir, he asked, "Are you sure there is no other way to accomplish what you wish to know?" Glancing around the table at friends, both old and new, he felt a sense of desolation filling his heart. How many would return from such a perilous journey into the unknown?

Cir knew how his old mentor felt for he also felt the same peril ahead, perhaps even more so than Gelmir. He had had his visions and none of them were pleasant. "Gelmir, you needn't journey with us, my old friend," Cir said gently and compassionately. "Why not stay here? Study and read...and wait for our return here in Imladris."

Gelmir glared at Cir for a long moment. Recognizing Cir's generous heart, he realized that his pupil was giving him a way out of this dangerous path. Patting Cir's hand, he smiled. "You would leave me out of all the fun. Never!"

Just then, Falmiel joined them and Gelmir moved from Cir's side enough to allow the young elf maiden to sit between them. Cir stood and took Falmiel's hand, guiding her to her seat. "Good morning, which is now complete with your presence." His eyes glowed with his new found feelings and he sat next to her, not releasing her hand from his.

The group finished their meal and all arose at the same time. Cir looked around the table. "My friends, now is the time to take one last thought. I shall not say that I do not wish for all of you to accompany me but I know the perils we will be facing. If you are all certain about your own decisions, then I say now is the time to begin our journey." He waited for a moment, gazing at each one of them individually, then turned and headed for the stables.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
gwendeth
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 02:43
"Indeed!" Ceindra laughed. "The hospitality of the Imladris Elves is fabled as the best in the world!" She breathed in the wonderful smell of cooking food. She was hungrier than she had thought...

Taking her seat at the table, Ceindra waited for the others to sit down. She now couldn't wait for the food to be served. Naruiel took the seat on her right. Ceindra turned to her with a smile. "Have you always live here in Rivendell?" she asked her.

Answering Ciendra's smile, and sending one to Valandil, Naru shook her head. As breakfast (which *did* smell absolutely delicious) was brought out, "I'm from Edhellond," the elleth replied, "And, this is my first time to visit here... or, really, anywhere. That's why I'm looking forward to this Journey - to see more of Middle Earth..."

Cir and Thad then arrived, and looking around as she ate, Naruiel could see that all but two of their group was now assembled, and the elf made a bright greeting to everyone there.

"I see you have all risen early. I must admit, I am going to welcome the morning meal. I stopped at the stables and the kitchen on my way here and have made all the necessary arrangements for provisions to be added to our packs. We should leave as soon as we are finished here."

With eagerness for them to be on their way (lest her brother make an appearance and renew his protests), Naruiel had to keep from 'wolfing' down her food, and listened with inner amusement to the boy's enthusiastic comments to the elven-smith.

What caught the elleth's attention the most, however, was the discussion of their party's route. Through Mirkwood? Repressing a shudder at thinking of that dark forest, Naru was still determined to join them... and was very glad she'd not known this before - otherwise, her overly-cautious older sibling would probably have thrown his sister bodily onto his horse in front of him, and taken Naruiel straight home...

Whether her own 'resolve' showed on her fair face, the elleth didn't know, but then smiled to herself when Falmiel then came in, and Cir's eyes visibly brightened.

Glancing at Freond on the other side of the table, Naru winked. "Definately some 'attraction' there - don't you think?" she asked the woman ranger.

The group finished their meal and all arose at the same time. Cir looked around the table. "My friends, now is the time to take one last thought. I shall not say that I do not wish for all of you to accompany me but I know the perils we will be facing. If you are all certain about your own decisions, then I say now is the time to begin our journey." He waited for a moment, gazing at each one of them individually, then turned and headed for the stables.

Nearly at once, Naruiel began following, and as they went through the doors and into the fresh morning air, the elleth found herself walking next to Ciendra and Val. Curiously, she looked at the two elves. "Have either of you ever been through Mirkwood?" Naru inquired.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 08:01
Falmiel had been waiting for the others for a while, when she realized that she had not brought any weapons. She left her pack in front of the fireplace and hurried off to get her sword and bow.

Upon returning, she saw that everyone had gathered in the hall. In Cir's eyes she could read relief. Had he thought she had changed her mind? Falmiel felt sad and a little guilty, she had not meant to cause her new love any distress. After she had put her weapons with her pack, Falmiel returned to take her seat next to Cir. Cir stood and took Falmiel's hand, guiding her to her seat. "Good morning, which is now complete with your presence." His eyes glowed with his new found feelings and he sat next to her, not releasing her hand from his. This felt very reassuring and for the first time since she had gotten up she felt herself calm down. So far, everything had been a rather hurried succession of things. And this morning meal and Cir were her first calm moments.

Falmiel followed, her pack and her weapons slung over her shoulder. When they reached the stable, Cir helped her secure her things on the horse and then turned towards his own mount. Sitting on top of her horse, Falmiel looked around at the place which had been her home for some time. She sighed, well aware that she might never see this place again, then turned her attention back to Cir, ready to start at his command.
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 06:09
Ceindra brushed a lock of hair out of her eyes. "No, I have not. But one of my best friends is the Princess there. She's very tough, maybe she had to form her personality because of the hardships there."

She paused for a second, not wanting to scare Naru. "But of course, I might be wrong. And if she's around at all, there would be no need to worry. It seems she think it's her sole task to protect her Kingdom and anyone who steps within her borders. I think we'll be safe there, or at least moderatley safe..."

She smiled rather impishly, wondering if this girl could handle it. If she never had travelled before, there wasn't much chance that she would be ready for the hardships ahead. But then again, she hadn't travelled before either when she had left Mithlond, and so far, she thought that she had done quite well. "Do you know how to fight?" she asked Naru. "You'll better know how. If not, then my dear Valandil here is a very talented warrior." She smiled softly at Val, doing her best to hide her feelings from him, but not doing very well.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 01:29
Curulindel, the elf - Erkenwine the young Ranger

Curulindel nodded to everyone who greeted him and then smiled when Thad, the human boy, stormed forward to meet him. "yes, indeed, it is your sword and it is finished. I was working on it during the night. Here you are, now take good care of it." He handed over the sword to Thad. "the best way to care for it is to oil it well. Never use a sheath on it or it will rust as swift as the running of the River Bruinen. But keep it in dry places and it shall serve you long." Curulindel smiled cheerfully. Erkenwine watched the proud boy being given his own sword. "Now you are a man, young Esquire." Erkenwine patted THad's shoulder. Then both him and Curulindel listened to Cir's account of where their path would all lead them next. "Mirkwood..." Erkenwine repeated and nodded. He knew Mirkwood well and even Curulindel had been to see King Thranduil in his youth. The wilderness south of Lonely mountains. Neither Curulindel nor Erkenwine had ever been that far north, though Erkenwine had been to Rhûn, travelling north from North-Ithilien his home. Yet, he had not stayed long in Rhûn, it had appeared to him like a forgotten place. There wasn't much of the life there, that they knew in Gondor and Rohan. Neither Erkenwine nor Curulindel needed to re-think the choice they had already made when Cir gave them another chance to change their minds. A moment later they followed him out of the house. Erkenwine's eyes were searching for the female Ranger.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 07:52
"Have either of you ever been through Mirkwood?" Naru inquired.

Val shook his head, a small, secretive smile on his face while Ciendra spoke freely to answer.

The male elf did not pay too much attention to their chatter, at least until Ciendra stated, "Do you know how to fight? You'll better know how. If not, then my dear Valandil here is a very talented warrior."

Valandil blinked, but then saw Ciendra's soft smile. He smiled back out of reflex. There she went, confusing him all over again.

He looked over her head at Naru. "Then I assume you are from Mirkwood yourself?" he asked as they walked towards the stables. "Or at the very least, you have been there before."
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: December 22, 2005 01:33
Everyone gathered at the stable except Talindra. Cir turned to Gelmir. "Is Talindra not going to join us then, Gelmir? Perhaps it is just as well. She is a scholar, not a warrior, though I suspect we will miss her presence," he glanced slyly at Gelmir, who blushed, confirming what Cir had already suspected. His old mentor had developed an 'interest' in the fair maiden whose gowns were always as covered with ink and dust as his own.

The group began the process of saddling their steeds, hooking their packs onto the horses' backs, and checking their weapons. Thad pulled Jordy to Cir's side and watched carefully to see how Cir attached his sword to the side of the saddle, then tried to tie his own shining new sword the same way, failing miserably, of course. Thad had received his precious weapon from Curulindel at the breakfast table, amusing (and frightening) the elves and rangers in attendance as he pretended to battle an imaginary orc, waving the sword in the air...and close to the heads and arms of all there. It had taken Cir's warnings and suggestion to take his weapon to the garden to practice his swing before everyone felt safe again. Now here he was, trying to mimic his mentor Cir in attaching his sword to his horse. Cir watched in amusement before finally taking pity on the young boy and showing him how it was done.

"You must always attach it in such a way that you can pull it free as quickly as it is needed. Orcs give little time for such to happen so you must always be ready." Patting Thad on the head, he took the reins off his horse and walked to Falmiel's side, checking to be certain all was in order with her packing. He was astonished to find that the healer had arranged her packs and bags like an experienced warrior.

"My fair healer, who taught you to prepare for a journey in such an efficient way?" He bent his head to kiss her forehead. "You will never cease to amaze me, I feel. How will I keep up with you? It took me many tries to be as good as you are at packing your saddle." He helped her mount and then mounted his own horse, nudging it forward until it had left the stable and entered the open courtyard. There he waited for his companions to join him.

As he sat astride his horse, he thought about what faced them in the days ahead. They would be traveling through territory seldom if ever seen by elves or men...a land full of Sauron's evil minions. All in the interests of searching for two wizards who had disappeared from sight. Were his visions, his nightmares, his dreams valid enough to put so many good people in danger and peril?

He looked at each one of them, one at a time. Curulindel, tall, elegant, yet a sound fighter when called upon.

Valandil, his oldest friend, charismatic, with a lazy charm, yet one who could wield a bow and arrow as well as any elf Cir knew.

Gelmir, a scholar, one who spent his days lost in old parchments and books. He could handle a weapon but was hardly a warrior.

Erkenwine, a ranger who from years of experience could hold his own in any battle.

Thad, naught but a child, with no skills at all except with his ability to handle any horse or mule or pony within range of his gentle touch.

Then there were the ellaths and the young ranger. Freond, who would have been trained like Erkenwine and could handle whatever battle she might encounter.

But then there was Naruiel, unknown to Cir before the past few days. Yet Curulindel had mentioned in passing the evidence of use on her sword. So she had fought somewhere along the way to Imladris.

Ceindra, barely more than a child even now. Yet he had seen her bravery and courage on their trip to Imladris. She could handle a dagger, a sword with ease. But so young was she.

Talindra, who he had yet to determine would join them. Gelmir had not answered him and Talindra had not appeared as yet either. But she was not a skilled fighter, was she? She had spent her years at Imladris in Lord Elrond's library, not in battle with orcs.

And Falmiel....the other half of his heart. How had that happened, he wondered? It was as though he had lived all his life with only part of himself alive and now he had suddenly met the one who had filled the missing part of his life. She was a healer. But was she skilled with a weapon? And how could he endanger her life with this witless search?

Other than Curulindel, Erkenwine and possibly Freond, who among them were well versed in warfare? Why was he even considering taking this innocent group with him into the wilderness?

His depressed thoughts were interrupted as his companions gathered around him, all of them mounted and all of them ready to follow him into the unknown. Shaking his head, he nudged his horse and began to move forward to the road that led from the haven of Imladris on the first stage of their journey....to Mirkwood Forest.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: December 22, 2005 01:40
Ceindra brushed a lock of hair out of her eyes. "No, I have not. But one of my best friends is the Princess there. She's very tough, maybe she had to form her personality because of the hardships there."

She paused for a second, not wanting to scare Naru. "But of course, I might be wrong. And if she's around at all, there would be no need to worry. It seems she think it's her sole task to protect her Kingdom and anyone who steps within her borders. I think we'll be safe there, or at least moderatley safe..."

She smiled rather impishly, "Do you know how to fight?" she asked Naru. "You'll better know how. If not, then my dear Valandil here is a very talented warrior."

Since she was walking on one side of Ciendra, and the ellon on the other, Naruiel didn't see the smile the elleth sent him, though she *did * see that Valandil had sent the shorter she-elf a smile. Rather a 'nice' smile he had, Naru thought, but then the elf asked a question of his own.

He looked over her head at Naru. "Then I assume you are from Mirkwood yourself?" he asked as they walked towards the stables. "Or at the very least, you have been there before."

"I can fight," Naruiel replied modestly, answering Ciendra's inquiry first. "But I'm not a 'warrior'," she then explained. "My brother and I were set upon by orcs on our way to Imladris. He taught me how to use my sword, though Edhellond - where I'm from - is quite peaceful. But, since we got here 'intact'," and the elleth grinned, "I suppose I learned my lessons fairly well. - And the Smith," Naru went on, meaning Curulindel, "was kind enough to repair my blade yesterday, so I have no worries about *that*."

Continuing on, and now addressing Valandil's comment, Naruiel shook her head. "No, hîr nín*," she said, "I've never been to Mirkwood. - I've never been anywhere - except for 'here'."

They arrived at the Stable, and a soft 'snort' greeted Naru as she went to fetch her horse. "Ai! Good morning, Maidhiel!" she chuckled at her cream-colored mare, and patted her neck. "Ready for some 'adventure?" Naruiel asked, and as quickly as she could, the elleth had her mount ready to go.

As she led Maidhiel out past the stalls, the elleth paused. And then, since she'd not been 'present' when things were actually being planned and researched in the Great Library of Elrond, Naruiel asked the two, "How long will it take for us to get to Mirkwood?"

* my lord

Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2005 02:45
Ceindra frowned slightly as she watched Naru paying a lot of attention to Val. But instantly, she hid her expression and went to the horse whom she prided so much. "Galadrin." she whispered softly, smoothing his proud head. "Are you ready?"

After making sure that Galadrin was ready, Ceindra mounted him, and began to ride after Cir, although making sure that she was near the back of the company. She felt rather lost among the group of noble Elves that they had gathered as companions. "From here?" she asked, in answer to Naruiel's question. "I'm not sure. Bu.t it will take a very long time. Might be even a few months.." But I doubt it... she added silently. She only wanted to scare the girl.

Ceinda dreaded to think how she would be able to handle a few months with this stranger hanging onto Valandil's every word. She was not used to jealousy, but she was getting used to it very fast...

[Edited on 26/12/2005 by Aneras]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 23, 2005 08:39
Whether her own 'resolve' showed on her fair face, the elleth didn't know, but then smiled to herself when Falmiel then came in, and Cir's eyes visibly brightened.

Glancing at Freond on the other side of the table, Naru winked. "Definately some 'attraction' there - don't you think?" she asked the woman ranger.

“I’d have to agree,” Freond replied with a slight grin, “It will be interesting to see how that unfolds as we travel.”

Freond kept to herself after that, listening to the general chatter among her companions and following wordlessly when they rose and headed for the stables. She felt a little anxious about the journey to Mirkwood. It wouldn’t have been an easy journey alone- through the Misty Mountains, anyway- and it seemed that over half the people in their group had no experience in ‘traveling’- though she guessed that they’d muddle through somehow. In her own opinion she thought it foolish to bring along a mere child- but again, she kept it to herself.

As they headed for the stables she found herself walking beside Erkenwine. She smiled at him.
“Always a good feeling to be setting out again,” she said, “Though I must confess I’ve never traveled with so many people at once- and that I wonder how easy it will be.”

She half-listened to the banter between the elves as they made their way into the stables- and she greeted Sirn with a smile and a loving stroke to his nose.
“I know it’s only been one night,” she said apologetically, “But you’re used to it, aren’t you old friend?”

Before much longer she was mounted and pushing the horse close behind Cir, and (again) finding herself riding next to Erkenwine. Slowly the group began to move out, and Freond made herself comfortable in the saddle, wondering how long they’d be riding on this day.

Naruiel asked the two, "How long will it take for us to get to Mirkwood?"

"From here?" she asked, in answer to Naruiel's question. "I'm not sure. But it will take a very long time. Might be even a few months..."

Freond had heard that, and she raised an eyebrow at Erkenwine. She’d traveled to Mirkwood once- and it had been no short journey, about a month in fact- but not more than that. The ranger wondered if Ceindra wanted to frighten Naru, or if she’d simply heard about the distance from someone else.
“I have been to Mirkwood,” she said, turning in the saddle slightly to speak to the elleths, “And my journeying only took a month- of course, I was traveling to take a message to the elves there, and the lands between Rivendell and that forest may have changed much since I went that way… but even with our numbers I don’t suspect the journey will take more than a month- maybe a month and a half… but of course, I’m not exactly sure of the course we’re taking.”

She then smiled at Naruiel.
“And traveling over a month isn’t all that terrible- I’ve done it many times- as I’m sure this ranger here has.”
She gave Erkenwine a friendly jab to the arm, then nodded at Naru, Val and Ciendra, “The only problems may be provisions and shelter- but I think we’ll manage.”

Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2005 05:44
(OOC: Oops! Sorry, granny. I wasn't sure if Talindra would be allowed to join...I would have asked you the other day but well...)

Val quickly retrieved his horse and then walked Cerebil to stand with Cir. He capped his hand on elf's shoulder.

"Well," he stated. "Here we go." And then he shot his good friend a bright smile before moving away to mount Cerebil. The horse snorted and Val grinned.

"What? You expected to be able to stay here and grow fat in Elrond's stables?" he said. Cerebil shook his his head and neighed disdainfully.

Talindra's feet pounded the ground as she ran through the front courtyard, dodging elves and furniture with awkward grace. A heavy leather bag and a cloak that had not seen the outdoors for some time trailed erractically behind her.

She ran up just as everyone was mounting and stopped short, her cheeks brilliantly red. "I...I apologize...er, I won't be a moment!" With that she dashed into the stables.

One of the stable hands walked up, leading a docile white mare. "She is all ready. You have a safe trip."

"Thank you, Calensen." Talindra said hurriedly as he helped her mount up and got her situated. The older elf's eyes softened and he patted her knee in a brotherly fashion.

"May the light of Eru shine on you." He said quietly.

"And you." Talindra sent him a bright smile, trying to stop looking so flustered and then trotted out to the others. She quietly led her mare next to Gelmir's mount.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: December 24, 2005 06:19
"From here?" she asked, in answer to Naruiel's question. "I'm not sure. But it will take a very long time. Might be even a few months..."

“I have been to Mirkwood,” she said, turning in the saddle slightly to speak to the elleths, “And my journeying only took a month- of course, I was traveling to take a message to the elves there, and the lands between Rivendell and that forest may have changed much since I went that way… but even with our numbers I don’t suspect the journey will take more than a month- maybe a month and a half… but of course, I’m not exactly sure of the course we’re taking.”

She then smiled at Naruiel.
“And traveling over a month isn’t all that terrible- I’ve done it many times- as I’m sure this ranger here has.”
She gave Erkenwine a friendly jab to the arm, then nodded at Naru, Val and Ciendra, “The only problems may be provisions and shelter- but I think we’ll manage.”

Looking from Ciendra to Freond and back again, Naruiel digested the answers she'd received. A glance thrown at the ellon on the other side of Ciendra for 'confirmation' seemed to 'upset' the other elleth... though for what reason, Naru couldn't comprehend.

Yes, she'd sent the inquiry to both Ciendra and Valandil... but so far, it had been the former who 'jumped in' with every reply. Did the elleth not want Val to answer? - If not - why? What 'harm' was there in conversing with him? - Though, he'd not said much to anyone at all... not really. Perhaps, Naruiel thought, 'quietness' was just in Valandil's nature. - After all, *she* yet knew very little of any in this party of journeyers...

Shrugging inwardly, however, Naruiel answered the woman ranger. "Of course we'll 'manage'," and sent Freond a wan smile, "I may not have traveled much, but I do believe I can handle whatever hardships we might encounter."

But then, Naruiel really 'noticed' how the group had seemed to be 'pairing off' as their horses climbed the steep path leading into (and out of) Imladris... and suddenly felt 'awkward' riding three-abreast with Ciendra and Val. Since they were obviously friends of some little acquaintance, Naru (with a deep sigh) figured they'd wish to chat between themselves, and considered dropping her mare back to follow in their wake...

(( Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year to all! - If I can 'sneak' online next week, I'll check in and maybe snag in a small post. ))
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2005 03:04
Erkenwine glanced at Freond who suddenly appeared beside him as they approached the stable. He nodded with a cheerfull smile. "and how very right you are. It always is a thrill to start off on a journey again, it feeds my restless spirit. Though I love it very much to come to Imladris to meet my good friend Curulindel and usually I stay a while, in peace, if this is possible." His forest green eyes sparkled and glanced down into hers. "I do agree, I also usually travel alone, though I'm not feeling pressed by the largeness of this group. A Ranger best travels alone, but often there are those that need our help to lead their way." This is where they parted to mount their horses. Erkenwine stopped for a moment.

Curulindel waited at the stable since the whole group was trying to enter and get their horses. Once everyone else was riding out of it he went inside to get his black and white steed called Melethcar as well asl the wilder brown one with the pale mane and tail called Glórmalen for Erkenwine. "I think Glórmalen will do you justice, mellon nín." Curulindel smiled at his friend, who smiled in return and started packing the spirited horse. It wasn't too easy to keep him steady, but the steed soon noticed that his rider was cast of the same mold as himself. When all packs and weapons were attached to the horses' backs, both of them rode to the rest of the group.

Erkenwine couldn't help trying to find Freond's company. He was intrigued by the female Ranger, such as he had never met before. "I also have been visiting Mirkwood." he agreed to what Freond was telling them now. "I hardly took 2 weeks when I went last, though it depends which part of Mirkwood you are heading for from Imladris. Mirkwood is a vast and dark forest with bothersome creatures to hinder your path." He followed Freond's glance over to Naruiel. "yes, she speaks truth. I have been travelling for months myself. It is a Ranger's lot. And Middle Earth is vaster than we think." he brushed the neck of Glórmalen who was stomping its legs restlessly.

Curulindel followed the group last. Sitting quietly on Melethcar lost in thought.

[Edited on 11/5/2006 by Elebridith]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: December 29, 2005 10:22
Cir waited at the head of the group watching and listening as his companions tied packs to the backs of their horses and then began mounting. When they were all mounted and ready to leave, he suddenly noticed an ellath running toward the stable, her hair breaking loose from her braids and blowing around her face, a pack and a cloak clutched in her arms though close to being dropped at any moment. Cir smiled when Talindra finally emerged from the stable, all her gear in place, her cloak neatly tied to the back of the saddle and she herself well seated on the saddle. Interestingly, as awkward as she appeared to be on the ground, her seat on a horse was the epitome of grace. She was as one with her steed and this slightly amazed Cir. As they started off, his thoughts were still depressed but there was a shot of excitement that passed through him at the thought of the adventure ahead of them.

He listened as the others discussed the time it would take to get to Mirkwood and finally intervened. "My friends, I spoke with Elrond about this very issue. He has advised me that it is roughly 200 miles from here to the Old Forest Road that enters Mirkwood and another 100 or so to cross through the Forest itself. Depending on how well we travel, how the weather holds up as we cross the mountains and what obstacles we may run into along the way, it will take a few weeks to reach the Old Forest road where we will enter the Forest and another two weeks at the very least to cross through to the other side. Let us hope we find few obstacles," he smiled at them.

Thad raced up on Jordy's back to ride right behind Cir, who had Falmiel at his side. Freond and Erkenwine rode behind them. Gelmir, whose eyes had opened wide in surprise at the arrival of Talindra, rode next to her, a smile of somewhat smug satisfaction on his face. Val and Ceindra rode side by side and Naruiel dropped behind them, to end up just slightly ahead of Curulindel, who brought up the rear of the group. The left through the archway that was the entrance to Rivendell, turning toward the mountains. The weather was mild as yet, though the leaves were falling and the evenings already had a nip in the air. But in a few weeks, the weather would be turning colder as winter approached. Cir wanted to be in the forest when that time came, as the trees would shelter them from the coldest of the winds that would begin to blow as the coldest time of the year came upon them. What would they do, however, when they had passed out of the forest into the eastern wilderness? There was little protection there from what the weather would bring upon them. His mood dropped again until he felt the touch of Falmiel's hand on his. As he looked at her, his heart lifted as it always did in her company. If anything was going to get him through this journey, he knew it would be the love he received from this green eyed ellath.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 02, 2006 12:27
As the sun rose in the sky and the chill of the morning left the air, Naruiel threw keen glances around her - taking in the 'newness' of the landscape. Occasionally, she saw small animals scurrying into the brush, and smiled inwardly. Yet, seeing Valandil's bow slung over his shoulder, and those carried by others in the group, Naru wished she had better skills with that particular weapon.

But, the bow the ellon bore was magnificent, and nothing like the ones Naruiel had seen in Edhellond. Hoping for a bit of conversation with both him and Ciendra, the elleth looked at the elf questioningly, "Hîr Valandil, I was wondering... did you craft your bow yourself? - I've not seen the like of it before. - Have you, Ciendra?"

[Edited on 2/1/2006 by gwendeth]
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2006 12:49
Thad raced up on Jordy's back to ride right behind Cir, who had Falmiel at his side. They left through the archway that was the entrance to Rivendell, turning toward the mountains. The weather was mild as yet, though the leaves were falling and the evenings already had a nip in the air. But in a few weeks, the weather would be turning colder as winter approached.

Falmiel had noticed the boy who was never far away from Cir ride up behind them. She had met so many new people in the past days - of course she would have enough time to get to know them, but she still felt rather lost.

Looking at Cir she noticed how deep in thought he was and she could see his concern. She vowed to herself that she would stand by him, no matter what would happen. She led her horse closer to his and took his hand, squeezing it lightly to reassure him. She hoped she could give him strength whenever he needed it. When he turned his eyes towards her and they looked at each other she was certain that he knew she would always be there for him if he needed her.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2006 08:05
"I did." Val answered, the slightest bit of pride showing in his blue eyes. The elf's skill with his chosen weapon was dwarfed by his passion for archery. It was the only thing that could get Val in a state of excitement, leaving off his lazy, quiet facade.

Talindra was silent as she rode next to Gelmir. The older elf seemed happy she was there, but niether of them had spoken.

She unconciously adjusted the skirt of her sea foam colored dress. Why couldn't she speak? She felt so in awe of him...surely he must think her as a child. Good for help in the library, but for nothing else.

Yes, if she held onto that thought, she would be much happier and at ease. Talindra looked up and opened her mouth to speak.

Gelmir smiled at her. Words left her mind and her cheeks flushed deeply.

She looked down at her horse's mane. 'I am a child. A silly child...'
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 05, 2006 08:25
(bereth, I’m glossing over some time in this post… just getting them to high noon, and a possible stop for lunch. If you want me to edit just give the word  )

Shrugging inwardly, however, Naruiel answered the woman ranger. "Of course we'll 'manage'," and sent Freond a wan smile, "I may not have traveled much, but I do believe I can handle whatever hardships we might encounter."

“I am sure you can,” Freond replied with a reassuring grin, “And if you feel daunted by anything, you’ve got your choice of people to ask for help- but I’m sure you won’t need to ask.”

Erkenwine couldn't help trying to find Freond's company. He was intrigued by the female Ranger, such as he had never met before. "I also have been visiting Mirkwood." he agreed to what Freond was telling them now. "I hardly took 2 weeks when I went last, though it depends which part of Mirkwood you are heading for from Imladris. Mirkwood is a vast and dark forest with bothersome creatures to hinder your path." He followed Freond's glance over to Naruiel. "yes, she speaks truth. I have been travelling for months myself. It is a Ranger's lot. And Middle Earth is vaster than we think."

“Much vaster,” Freond agreed with a solemn nod, “And there are places that no one dares to go. Even experienced travelers don’t have all the answers.”

"My friends, I spoke with Elrond about this very issue. He has advised me that it is roughly 200 miles from here to the Old Forest Road that enters Mirkwood and another 100 or so to cross through the Forest itself. Depending on how well we travel, how the weather holds up as we cross the mountains and what obstacles we may run into along the way, it will take a few weeks to reach the Old Forest road where we will enter the Forest and another two weeks at the very least to cross through to the other side. Let us hope we find few obstacles," he smiled at them.

Freond accepted his words with another nod, seeing the sense in them, then fell into silence brooding over her own thoughts as they made their way out of Imladris and in the general direction of the Road that Cir had mentioned. The woman was thinking of the possible dangers that awaited them, and trying to recall all that she knew of the path they were taking. It had been some time since she’d come this way, though, and it was true that things had probably gotten worse since then. But how much worse? It seemed (to her) that all roads had grown more dangerous in the last year… and that was why she felt doubtful about the ‘unseasoned’ travelers riding with the company. It would have been wrong to tell them they couldn’t come, though… if anyone wanted to do what they could against evil, it was only right that they be allowed to do their part.

It was these sorts of musings that kept Freond silent as they rode on through the morning hours, and she forgot about attempting to make conversation with the handsome ranger at her side, though she caught his glance from time to time and gave him a smile. When she finally decided it was too early to be brooding over dark things the sun had already risen high. They had covered a ‘good’ distance- not nearly as much as she’d have covered had she been alone- but that was to be expected. She wasn't tired- but she wondered if those unused to travel were, and guessed they'd appreciate a halt, since it was only the first day...

“Ciryacáno, “ she called, “Do we stop for lunch this day? I think we could use a short rest…”

And she turned to Erkenwine and gave him a wink, keeping the next comment for all those near to her, “and I’m quite over breakfast, and ready for another meal.”
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2006 10:14
Curulindel listened the Cir's words and then the journey started. Curulindel rode silently behind Naruiel who then rode ahead to converse with Ciendra and Val. Curulindel stroke the neck of Melethcar and glanced back at the arch of Imladris when they left making their way towards the mountains. He was wondering what lay before them. He had not ventured to Mirkwood in a long time, and not much further for that matter. Would they find those they were seeking? Curulindel glanced up towards the snow covered mountains. They would have to go through the snow if they went along the mountain pass to get to the Old Forest Road. He inhaled the air of the morning.

Erkenwine had been riding unusually silently nect to the female Ranger. It didn't seem as if Freond felt much like talking. Even though he glanced over at her once in a while. She seemed to be deep in thought, too deep to be disturbed. He gathered if she wanted his company she would approach him herself. Erkenwine did not worry too much about what lay before them. He would take things at a stride as always. He was well aquainted with unexpected situations and even fights. Orcs could appear from anywhere, and there were others too, that liked to obstruct one's way. But Erkenwine decided it was better to just stay as attentive as possible, without overdoing it, his weapon for easy reach and if Danger stroke, react to it and do your best. More was not to be done by no man or elf. Life was too beautiful to worry. At least in Erkenwine's philosophy. Once or twice he noticed a little smile on Freonds face and he returned it with one of his own.

It was then Freond who broke the silence suddenly. So suddenly that Erkenwine instantly reached for his sword and whipped his head around to check their surrounding. But that time the word 'lunch' had reached his brains as well and he relaxed again. "hungry already, my valiant Lady? have some Lembas and you will have no more need of food." his voice carried a hint of teasing. Because even though Lembas did not taste bad, and was also very filling and long lasting...he also could think of a few other things he'd prefer to feed himself on. "I will second the Lady Ranger..." he replied with a smiled. He was truely interested in hearing her story and getting aquainted.

[Edited on 11/5/2006 by Elebridith]
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2006 10:38
Ceindra smiled to herself as she saw the light shine in Valandil's eyes. He did honestly love his bow. Maybe he loved it so much that he didn't have room for someone else in his heart...

Ceindra sighed. She had to stop thinking that way. But her feelings were getting too much for her. She'd have to talk to someone. She decided to ask Cir about it as soon as they stopped for lunch. She wasn't hungry herself, but she knew she would be in a couple of hours, so she nodded when Freond suggested some food.

She then turned her head so that she could see Naruiel. She decided to answer her earlier question. "No, I haven't seen a bow as fine as Val's before. He taked great pride in it. A word of warning. Never come between Val and his bow. It'll be the last thing you do!" She winked slyly at Val, and then nudged the side of her horse so that he sped up until he reached Cir.

"Uh..." Ceindra breathed in to calm her nerves. She hadn't mentioned her love for Val to anyonr yet. "Cir, when we stop, can I talk to you about something?"
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 05, 2006 11:50
"I did." Val answered, the slightest bit of pride showing in his blue eyes.

Naruiel smiled, and nodded at the 'spark' that lit up the ellon's eyes.
Ceindra sighed.

She then turned her head so that she could see Naruiel. She decided to answer her earlier question. "No, I haven't seen a bow as fine as Val's before. He taked great pride in it. A word of warning. Never come between Val and his bow. It'll be the last thing you do!" She winked slyly at Val, and then nudged the side of her horse so that he sped up until he reached Cir.

Rather puzzled, a slight frown came to Naru's brow, and she stared after the other elleth as Ciendra went forward to ride next to Cir.

Was that a 'threat', or a 'warning', as she'd stated? - And, why would Naruiel even *think* of 'coming between' the elf and his weapon?

Turning back to the ellon, "You must love archery a great deal to take the time to fashion your own weapon," she comment commented, and sighed herself. "I'm afraid I've not much skill in it, myself... but mostly from lack of 'needing' to. My brother has always kept us well-fed... and living by the sea in Edhellond, fish are a common meal."

Smiling again at Valandil, "Perhaps you could show me a bit of your skill when it comes time to hunt?" she asked, the mention of 'lunch' by Freond being a welcome one to the red-haired elleth.

And then, "Cleaning kills is one thing I do have knowledge of..." the elleth offered, and while she waited for the ellon's reply, Naru glanced forward at the two rangers... and wondered if they'd realized that - although she was unfamiliar with traveling, she wasn't completely 'useless' as a member of this group...

[Edited on 5/1/2006 by gwendeth]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 05, 2006 06:24
Cir rode beside Falmiel, the talk soft between them, as they shared their love of the natural wonders around them. The autumn was well underway and the leaves were multi-colored and glorious in their shades of red, rust and yellow. The green of the pines and spruce set them off beautifully and they both chuckled at the squirrels running with their cheeks puffed out full of nuts and other food for their winter storage. Thad rode right behind them, little Jordy keeping stride with them easily as the forward movement of the group was at a fairly slow pace as yet. Still, Cir, like Curulindel, glanced up now and then at the snow capped mountains ahead of them, feeling in the as yet mild breeze a brief whiff of the cold to come. He reached for Falmiel's hand, bending his head to place a kiss on the back of it. "I'm glad you are with me, love, though you know I would have preferred you remain where it is safe. If we can all return alive and well, I will feel much better." He smiled his love to her, then asked, "It's not too late, are you certain you will not return to Imladris?"

Gelmir rode silently along side an equally silent Talindra. Yet he was very content. Never much of a social being, he felt at peace with his companion, not feeling the necessity to involve either of them in incessant chatter. He caught a turn of her head and looked back at her, smiling happily. She had looked as though she was going to speak but instead she blushed and her eyes dropped to the neck of her horse. His ears heard her whispering to herself... 'I am a child. A silly child...'

"Hardly that, my dear," Gelmir commented. "Perhaps younger than I but certainly not a child. I find you to be ....quite charming, dear." He went back to riding along, completely unaware of the affect his short speech had had on the shy young scholar.

Except for a random word here and there, the group seemed to be feeling the seriousness of this journey. There was very little chatter or conversation. That is until Freond, the female Ranger made her words heard to Cir at the head of the riders.

“Ciryacáno, “ she called, “Do we stop for lunch this day? I think we could use a short rest…”

Cir chuckled when Erkenwine responded. "hungry already, my valiant Lady? have some Lembas and you will have no more need of food." his voice carried a hint of teasing. "I will second the Lady Ranger..." he replied with a smile.

The most conversational of the group seemed to be between Naruiel, Ceindra and Val. Drifts of their conversation reached Cir now and then...it seemed they were talking about Val's bow, his prized possession. Cir thought back to the time before this journey had ever begun, back to the time when Val had been creating this bow. They had spent hours in the woods, searching for just the right wood. "Val, we've been at this for hours and passed on at least 40 trees. Surely you must have seen at least one that would do," Cir had complained, sitting on a log and resting his feet. He remembered Val's passionate response, that it took the right wood or it wasn't worth making. When Val had finally found the perfect wood, it was not the end. He spent days carving the piece he had chosen, oiling it, wiping it down, oiling it again, letting it rest, carving some more, and then oiling it again. Weeks had passed when he finally reached the point where he began the intricate carving of runes and leaves on it's length. Another oiling, another rubbing and finally it was complete. Cir had had to admit it was one of the finest weapons he had ever handled. He remembered how smug Val had looked at his admission.

His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a horse galloping up from behind him. Turning his head, he saw Ceindra slowing to a trot just behind him and next to Jordy. "Cir, when we stop, can I talk to you about something?" Cir looked at her closely. Her breathing was fast and she was taking deep breaths to calm it. "Of course, Ceindra," wondering what was troubling her, for something surely was. "Why not ride ahead with Thad and see if you can find a good spot for a small fire and with access to water if possible." Glancing at Thad, he told him to stay with Ceindra and both of them were to stay there until the group caught up with them, but not to go too far ahead. "Stay within shouting distance." He sent both of them on their way and called back to the group, "Ceindra and Thad are going to find a good location for a break. We'll stop for a quick meal and a short rest."

After a short ride, they came upon Ceindra and Thad, next to a small trickling spring which was just off the road, where Thad was collecting small bits and pieces of wood for the fire. The group dismounted and began to set up a campsite. Cir walked over to Curulindel, speaking quietly. "Curulindel, we will soon be going through the mountains. The breeze is mild now but it will become much colder. I worry. We have so many with us who have never traveled under these conditions. They will slow our progress so that it may take longer than Lord Elrond estimated it should take. Not only that, but I have heard of strange sightings in Mirkwood. Should we try for a stop for rest at the realm of Thranduil or just try to get through the forest along the Old Forest Road as quickly as possible? What are you thoughts on this?"
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2006 07:51
"Cleaning kills is one thing I do have knowledge of..." Naru offered. Val looked away from Ciendra's back.

"Well, that is good." Val gave her a slightly lazy grin. "That is not a job I favor."

Mentally, he made a note to ask Cir about Ciendra. The younger elleth had been acting so strangely.

Talindra went brilliantly red and continued to stare at her horse's mane. She couldn't beleive he'd heard that; she hadn't even been aware of speaking aloud.

gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 07, 2006 08:18
"Well, that is good." Val gave her a slightly lazy grin. "That is not a job I favor."

Noticing that the elf hadn't answered her question, Naruiel shrugged inwardly. - Though, she did inquire further about the archery that seemed to be Valandil's passion.

After a short ride, they came upon Ceindra and Thad, next to a small trickling spring which was just off the road, where Thad was collecting small bits and pieces of wood for the fire. The group dismounted and began to set up a campsite. Cir walked over to Curulindel, speaking quietly.

Rather 'uncertain', Naru gazed around the group, and finally settled on Freond - sitting with her fellow ranger, as a good choice.

"Mind if I sit with you?" she asked, sending one last glance towards Valandil before returning her attention to the rangers...
<< First89101112Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email