Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: KEEP: Time Warp in Wales
on: February 23, 2005 07:43
Madlen stood up. " I'll come with you. I can't trust you to go somewhere and not get hurt." She smiled. " Besides, you may need me, after all, I'm the only one who comes from Wales."
She turned to Andy. " Will you be coming? I might get bored with Ian and need someone intresting to talk to." She winked at him, then turned away quickly, although she didn't know why. She just felt weird all of a sudden. " So, when are we leaving?" She asked.

[Edited on 24/2/2005 by Aneras]
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2005 01:12
*introducing Nick MacGregor/Curulindel, the Imladris Elf*

((search for it further down )

[Edited on 25/2/2005 by Elebridith]
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2005 04:30
Thomas had listened to everything with utter interest. Although he was undisputedly a rational man, who put more trust in his intellect then in his intuition, he was intriegued by the story Ian had just told them. There was a lot of passion in his words, something with which Thomas was easily won over.
For a short moment Thomas sat with hardly any emotion showing in his face, as usually was the case when he was absorbed in an intellectual problem.
Finally admitting his defeat for the present- he was still unable to find a logical explanaition for all of this, other then assuming that Ian was either playing a childish trick on them or seriously ill- he drew up his eyebrows and rose from his desk. "Well, as I said before, I would indeed like to accompany you to Anglessey. If you don't mind."
As there were no objections uttered, Thomas started around the study, grabbing things from shelves that he thought he might be needing. Stowing it all- books mainly, Tolkiens works and essays about him and his work- in his old sailor's kitbag he looked back up to the other's. "Well, I think I'm ready." He stated with a satisfied smile upon his face. "What are we waiting for?"
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: February 24, 2005 07:32
Ian had asked if anyone would come with him and unsurprisingly, his childhood pal, Madlen, was the first to agree to go. Granted, she had to make a joke of it but he knew she truly cared about his welfare. O'Connor, after sitting thoughtfully for a while, had climbed to his feet and began grabbing books, folders of manuscripts and miscellaneous papers, and stuffing them into an old sailor's kitbag, then asked, "What are we waiting for?"

Andy, watching all this with his legs still sprawled out, began to move slowly pulling his legs under his tall frame and rising to his feet. As he had already suggested they should return to Anglesey, he was wondering what had taken everyone so long.

Liz stared up at Ian, an anxious look on her face. "Ian, I can't. I have finals this week....I must....I have to study and then be here to take them. Could I meet up with you at the end of the week?" She wanted so to go with him but her degree was at stake. Ian touched her cheek softly and bent to kiss her on the forehead. "Liz dear, you must stay here, much as I would love to have you come with me but I know what finals are. You can't leave now. It was enough that you took time to come all the way to Wales to see me in hospital. Study for your exams, take them and then meet us in Caernarfon." Turning to look at Andy, he asked, "You do have your ever-present cell phone with you, do you not, old chap?" When Andy nodded, Ian turned back to Liz. "See, you can call ahead when you're ready to leave here. Andy has his cell phone, but then, when does he not?" (Little did he realize that where he was going, the cell phone would be useless.) He grinned at her, then took her hand in his and squeezed it gently. "I'll look forward to your coming. I'll miss you in the meantime as to tell you the truth," he bent close to her ear and whispered, "I'm a tad frightened by all this.

Standing up again without letting go of Liz's hand, he pulled her to her feet. "Dr. O'Connor, are you sure you have everything you'll need? Perhaps a toothbrush and a change of clothes might come in handy, don't you think? I'd like to stop at our flat and pick up a few things myself before we leave. What say we all meet at the cafe next to the hospital in an hour. Will you walk over to the flat with me, Liz?" His eyes, one of which was turning slightly purple around the edge, pleaded with her.

When she nodded, he turned to his friends. "Andy, are you going to come too? You need some better shoes to hike around in." Andy gave his head a negative shake, knowing that Ian needed a few moments alone with Liz. "Oh, isn't there a Renaissance Fair across from the Hospital?" He laughed when Andy's eyes lit up. "Just don't get lost over there if you are not coming with us. Mad, why don't you go with Andy and keep an eye on him." Ian strolled towards the door, pulling it open and standing back, waving everyone through. "We'll meet in an hour then." As he closed the door behind him, he had a sudden feeling he was leaving the life he had known behind. He shook the thought from his head and followed the group down the stairs and out into the grounds of Oxford University.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2005 10:20
Andy sighed to himself; about time everyone had agreed to come along. Slowly, he pushed his lanky frame upwards, and stood, slightly slouched with his hands in his pockets.

The blonde smirked slightly as Ian mentioned his cell phone but it dissapeared when Ian asked Andy if he wanted to go back to the flat to get some things.

"Nah." he said nonchanatly. "You can get my stuff; no point in both of us going."

He knew that Liz needed to be alone with Ian; goodness knows she probably felt guilty about not being able to go to Anglesey. But finals were finals.

"Oh, isn't there a Renaissance Fair across from the Hospital?" Ian continued. Andy's head snapped up and Ian laughed.

"Just don't get lost over there if you are not coming with us." he continued. "Mad, why don't you go with Andy and keep an eye on him." Ian strolled towards the door, pulling it open and standing back, waving everyone through. "We'll meet in an hour then."

Andy decided not to protest about Madlen "babysitting" him, but merely lounged out. Pulling out his cell phone, he quickly dialed a number. "Hey, Sav. What's up?"

"About time you called." The petulant tone of his fourteen year old cousin met his ear. "Andy, please tell me you are coming home this weekend. It's been terribly dull with out you and Robert is such a bore." Savannah sighed dramatically. "Why was I cursed with such a horrid brother?"

"Robby's not that bad." Andy admonished, although he was grinning. To be honest, he and Robert didn't get along much. "Look, I'll try, but some things have come up down here and-"

"Andy..." Savannah wheedled. Andy could see her pouting, green eyes full of pleading. He really did spoil her, but it was terribly hard to say no...

"I can't; a friend needs help. What happened to your friends?"

"Nat's gone off with his new girlfriend and Gary has some family thing." Savannah answered. "Iva has cheerleading competitions somewhere." She paused. "Seamus broke up with me yesterday."

'Good riddiance.' was on the tip of Andy's tongue but he swallowed it. "Sorry kiddo. Did he say why?"

"No, he just left. If I hadn't tracked him down to the train station, he wouldn't have even said good bye." Savannah answered. Andy closed his eyes and mentally shook his head.

"I'm sorry, Sav. Look, I'll try and get down there. Then you and I'll go out on the town, okay, love?"

"Thanks, Andy." The cheer returned to Savannah's voice and Andy smiled.

"No prob, kiddo. Say hi to your parents for me. Catch ya later." Andy said and then hung up, then dialed again. He grimaced as an answering machine came on. He hated those things. "Hey, Meg, it's Andy. You called me twice-"

"Andy!" Meg abruptly answered the phone. "Took you long enough to call me back."

"Sorry sis." Andy apologized. "What's up?"

"Nothing; just my usual check in. Are you busy?"

"A little; can I catch you later? Mom left six messages."

Meg chuckled wamly. "You can't blame her. You are her baby."

Andy made a face and Meg laughed, as if she knew exactly what he was doing. "I'll talk to you later, hon." she said fondly. Andy bid her good bye and hung up, then sighed and dialed one last number.

"Hello?"

"Hi Mom."

"Andy!" Bethan William's cheery voice exclaimed. "Oh, I was hoping you would call."

"Yes." he answered. "I'm guessing that by the six messages you left."

"Six? Indeed. My goodness, I must have lost count." Bethan stated. "Oh bother, now I can't remember what it was I needed to speak to you about..."

Andy bit back a laugh as he heard his father's laughter in the background. Bethan quickly scolded her husband and Andy grinned. He loved his parents; Bethan with all her quirkyness and cheer had been a good match for his reserved, quiet humored father.

"Any way...what was I saying dear?"

"You couldn't remember why I called." Andy said patiently.

"Oh yes!" Bethan exclaimed. "I was wondering if you were coming home for spring break. Your grandmother is visiting and she misses you terribly."

"I don't know if I can get away, Mom." Andy answered. "I'll try."

"All right. Well, I must go; your father is pestering me. Oh and do take care of yourself, dear. Have you eaten today?"

"Yes, mother."

"And you are wearing warm enough clothing?"

"Yes mother."

"And you- Sean, stop! I'm just making sure..."

Andy grinned as his mother's voice faded and his father's calm baritone met his ear. "Have a good weekend son. I have to get your mother upstairs or we'll be late."

"Okay." Andy said. Chances were his parents were off to dinner with friends. "I'll talk to you later."

"Alright. Take care of yourself." Sean said then hung up. Andy shut his phone, shaking his head. His insane, happy family...he turned to see Madlen nearby, then walked up to her and tugged her blonde hair.

"We going or not?"

(Gah, sorry it was so long. Okay, off to bed now. ^__^)
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2005 03:15
((*still a wee bit further doon*))

Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2005 03:48
Thomas O'Conner was not stupid, it only lacked him of what might be called practical intelligence. He often forgot things he needed (especially on trains), but he knew a fitting quote to most every situation and had an amazing memory for well formulated passages.
When Ian pointed out to him that he might be needing some more things then his books and the pipe, he had to admit that he should have thought of that before. Tilting his head he raised his eyebrows and nodded.
Once alone in his rooms he grabbed a few things, spread them out on his bed, stood back a little and considered what else he might need. Repeating this proceedure a few times he stood back again. Well. Maybe this would prove a little too much. Starting to shift the things back and forth on the bed spread, he did his best to figure out what he might leave behind after all. Feeling a bit lost he sighed.
Finally he had come to a decision that seemed to make sense. He was just starting to stuff the additional things into his bag, then hesitated. He would start going through the writings he posessed about "The Lord of the Rings" as soon as they were in the car. So he pulled out his books and manuscrips to put them on top of the rest. Finally satisfied with the result he made his way to the café, where they would meet.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 25, 2005 06:42
El....go to OOC thread.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2005 09:32
Madlen pushed Andy away. " Hey! Get off my hair!" She laughed. " I'll come with you now, I just need to get changed. Come to my house, you can wait in the lounge."

Her house was only a few minutes' walk from the university. Because her family was rich, the house was quite large, and she lived there with her best friend, Madison. She walked in through the door with Andy following, and threw her jacket onto the counter in the kitchen. " Hey Madison. Can you get Andy something to eat or drink? I'll be back now."

She left Andy in Madison's capable hands, and went up to her room. 10 minutes later, and after several changes of clothing, she finally went back down to the kitchen. She was quite vain, but was happy with the final result. She entered the kitchen and twirled around for Madison to judge her outfit.

She wore light blue jeans, distressed in colour, and a tight fitting black top, with her new black FCUK jacket over it. Madison smiled, and nodded her head in approval. " Alright then Andy, let's go." She left the house, slamming the door behind them, and the walked together to the fair that Ian had mentioned.

Normally, she would have been extremely bored at these kind of things, but Andy managed to make it interesting, or at least slightly interesting. Her mind still occasionally wandered to the move they had recently learned in cheerleading practice or the hairstyle she had seen the day before. " So what's this?" She asked, picking up some sort of armour, and passing it to Andy. A strand of her ash blonde hair wafted across her tanned face, and she brushed it out of her eyes as she looked at the thing she had picked up.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2005 11:28
Nick MacGregor was ready to leave for Oxford. There was a medieval fair on today and he'd heard of another Blacksmith who was selling his roman replica swords there. Roman swords! Would you believe it! He said to himself. It took a long time just to forge one sword and for now he was specializing mainly on celtic, renaissance and well-known fantasy swords. After all, he hadn't been in business for a long time yet. It hadn't even been a year now, since he moved to Duffryn, the small town between Port Talbot and Neath. After finishing Art-school in London he had decided to study metal and wood-crafts as well for another one and a half year. It was then, at the age of 25, that he decided to move to Wales to find a cottage in the countryside. Although he was, like most scots, very proud of his own heritage, for which he had a great passion, he couldn't say what exactly had drawn him to Wales.

Nick was a very enthusiastic person, though in a quieter way than one would think, but his passion had always been swords, dagger and bow and arrows, even though his craftman's skill extened to making silver jewelery and also metal and wooden decorative items of all sorts. Since hildhood he had loved his mother to read him ancient tales of Scotland, Wales and Irland. His interest in history grew with him and in present days he could be found on medieval or renaissance fairs all around Britain. He had already set up a stand in the medieval fairs in Swansea twice, which took place 4 times a year, to exhibit and sometimes sell one of his swords, his work was perfect and done with love and lots of details. Additionally he had set up a marvellous website of his work to advertise his skills and arts.

Nick walked out of his cottage door and got into his old darkblue beetle. The car was about 8 years old and he'd only driven it himself for the last 2. The motor started with the exhaust making a loud explosive noise before it slowly took off the gravel road heading for the north. He suddenly had the idea to ask his cousin Madlen to come along with him to the fair, she might enjoy a bit of medieval atmosphere and a glass of hot Mead. With difficulty he picked up his mobile, dialed and squeezed it between his ear and shoulder. "Hi, Auntie, thess es Nick, can ye hand me over tae Madlen?" he waited a moment, then stepped onto the break when a car suddenly crossed his path from the left without looking. "Bleedn' Sunday-drivers!!! Bletheringskate!!! ... nae, no' ye, Auntie, wha'? Madlen's en Oxford? tae do wha'? -- --- ye dinna ken? aye, right...thanks. Aye..see ye Auntie...Aye, I will, dinna worry yeself...Aye...I will -- see yer, right?...Auntie...I said, see ye.." he put down the mobile grinning and shaking his head. Mothers, Aunts, women...they cared too much, but he was grateful that they did.

About an hour later Nick parked his car in a side-road of Oxford close to the fair. He still had to walk down the long Woodstock-Road at the end of which were the grounds the fair was held on. With brightening spirits and a kilt in the red and green MacGregor Tartan swinging around his thighs, he marched off down the Lane. He was very proud to be a scot and at the same time he was much into nature and lose traditions. His white old-highland shirt and the black jacobite waist-coat over it, followed by a plaid across his chest he finally entered the market. A long scottish broadsword was attached to a belt around his waist. On markets as such, he always wore his greatest pride, because he had forged this sword himself. It was busy on the market already. Many stalls and lots of people in all sort of historic clothes, he fitted in perfectly. He was wondering if he should have rang up Ronny Tucker, a guy he had met during his studies in London, and who'd become a close friend of his. Their personalities and lives seemed to be so diffrent at first, and yet their common interest in history and swords had drawn them together he soon spotted a stand with swords, totally forgetting that he had wanted to look out for Madlen.

Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2005 12:41
Andy blinked at the piece of armor that had uncerimounisously been shoved at him by Madlen, then took it.

"Eh...I think it may be a buckler." Andy answered. He wasn't very good with Medival armor; more with the style of life and the writings of the time. He let his eyes trail the stalls and put the buckler down, then grabbed Madlen's hand. "There are swords over here!"

He dragged her over, moving quickly for once; Andy loved swords. And daggers...well, anything sharp and pointy really. Sean often said that was the reason he and Bethan had more than a few gray hairs; they always had to watch out for him around scissors even.

Andy abrutply dropped her hand and reached out to inspect one of the blades, hardly noticing the other young man also enraptured by the weapons. The quip about Madlen's cheerleading he had just thought up died on his tongue and he beckoned Madlen forward.

"Look at this; see the work on the hilt?" he pointed to the area of the sword he was mentioning; knowing that Madlen would probably not know. "Gah, makes me wish I hadn't spent my money on books."

All of Andy's extra money usually went to books or period daggers and swords, much to his mother's despair. She couldn't understand why he would be perfectly happy to go about in threadbare clothing if he had a new "baby" - as Meg had dubbed them - to take up his attention.

(lol, like poor Andy, I too am enthralled with "sharp and pointy" objects; there were so many lovely daggers and swords at the convention! But I had so little money...*cries* I would have given a lot for the Ancient Egyptian daggers they were selling, plus there were some beautiful katanas and broadswords as well.)
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2005 04:30
Nick was reaching out to grab the Roman replica sword his eyes had spotted. The hilt and grip with a pommel was all engraved, even on the blade itself close to the hilt there was a beautiful small engraving. This most definitely was a replica of a roman paladin sword, if he wasn't mistaken. As he grabbed it and pulled it over, his arm got locked with that of another person, who had joined to look at swords. "oh, 'cuse me, sory! I didna see ye..." he smiled at Andy and reached for the intended sword with the other hand withdrawing the one that had gotten into Andy's way. That was the moment he noticed the girl standing next to the guy. "Madlen!" his mouth was half open with surprise. Indeed, he had known she'd be somewhere in Oxfort, but he hadn't expected her on the fair.

"I was lookin' frae ye, ye Mum told me, tha' ye ceme up he' tae see some friends." his mouth now closed and showed off a cheerful smile. His eyes then returned to Andy, nodding to him and went back to Madlen's. "thess ye boy-friend then?" he signaled with his head at Andy. Trying to turn towards them a little more got his own sword, that hung from a belt to which also his sporran was attached, hooked to the metal set-up of the stalls. "oops...sometimes, a wee bet impractical tae carry a sword, I guess." he shrug his shoulders, still holding the roman sword in his hands. "ye keen on swords I see, aye?" he said looking at Andy. "an' how didye meke Madlen come tae see et wi' ye?" he winked at the guy and smirked at Madlen. It was nothing but a soft tease.
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2005 04:43
Madlen blushed. " No, he's not my boyfriend." She said, with an awkward laugh. " He's Ian's friend. You remember Ian right?"
Nick nodded. He and Ian had gotten along really well, letting Madlen escape from him for a little. Although she dearly loved her cousin, sometimes he was a little broing, just like Ian. She smiled. " Andy, this is my cousin Nick. He's scottish. Nick, this is Andy." She took a look at her cell. " Andy, we have to get to the cafe. Unless you haven't forgotten, we were supposed to meet them 15 minutes ago."
Andy blushed. He had obviously forgotten. " Come on, let's go." She started to walk out of the fair. " Nick, seeing as you're here, so you want to come with us?" She asked. " But if you do, we have to hurry. They're going to be really mad at us."
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2005 06:49
Andy couldn't help but grin when Madlen blushed, but he wasn't given a chance to say hi before Madlen pointed out that they needed to be a the cafe 15 minutes ago. He found himself uncharateristically blushing; that was odd.

He lazily started to follow her, then paushed as she turned to invite Nick.

"Yeah, you might as well." Andy drawled. The bright, slightly intense look the swords had brought was now gone; his eyes were now back to their half-lidded look and his face was expressionless.

While Nick considered, Andy idily began thinking up an excuse, while he dug around his large pant pockets for his mystery book. Finding it, he flipped it open.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 26, 2005 07:39
At his flat, Ian began digging through his drawers and closet, searching for his hiking clothes, tossing them on the day bed/sofa. Liz went to the small efficiency kitchenette and put the pot on for some tea. As he packed his findings into a hiker's backpack, she pulled two cups from the shelf, set out the sugar cubes and spoons, then poured some of the boiling water in the tea pot, swirled it around and poured it out. Into the pot she spooned the tea, letting it brew while Ian packed. Neither of them had said very much, both knowing how much Liz regretted the fact that she could not join them on this journey.

"Liz, don't feel badly, love. It's only for a week. You can finish your finals and join us next Saturday. Undoubtedly, we'll still be combing the caves and beaches for explanations." Ian grinned. "I could see the gleam in O'Connor's eyes."

"I know, Ian, but I so wanted to go with all of you nooowww," she wailed, bursting into tears. "I don't want to see you again as I did this morning....in a hospital bed with your head wrapped in bandages, rambling on and on about some weird people and weird places. I was so scared." She wiped the tears from her cheeks and reached for a tissue to blow her nose, which was quite pink now. Liz was not one of those miraculous women who looked beautiful in tears.

Ian always thought she looked beautiful, however, in tears or not, and wrapped his arms around her, holding her close to his shoulder. "What can happen, love? I will have half a legion at my side. Do you think Andy, Madlen and O'Connor are going to let anything happen to me? They will fight dragons for me, you know that." He tilted her chin up and kissed her gently. "You just concentrate on your exams and then come meet up with us on Saturday, alright?"

Liz smiled through her tears and nodded her head. "Alright. But you must promise me not to separate from any of them for a minute. Okay?" Then laughing lightly, she said, "Actually, from what I heard this morning, that is exactly what I am afraid of....that you all WILL be fighting dragons or something." Ian burst out laughing and gave her a hug.

"Let's clean up the tea cups and get going. We have to meet everyone in ten minutes." He began to put the cups and spoons in the sink and turned the water on to wash them. Liz turned the water off, looking up at him affectionately.

"You go on, I'll stay and clean this up. I can lock up when I go. Don't be late...go on." She gave him a push away from the sink.

"Are you sure, dear?" He seemed to hesitate, torn between his excitement to meet the group and head out for Wales and leaving Liz behind. "Do you not want to see us off?"

"I've seen off the one I wanted to, sweetheart. Now go." She handed him his pack and shoved him toward the door. Ian gave her a quick kiss and a hug, turned to leave and turned back for one more kiss. Then off he went, waving to her where she stood at the window, watching him leave.

Ian was excited, indeed. He so wanted an explanation for the strange events that had occurred and was hoping his friends and the great medieval specialist, O'Connor, could help him find one. Up ahead was the cafe where they were to meet and he could see Andy and Madlen only just arriving from the opposite direction, accompanied by, of all things, someone in full Scottish kilts, tartan, sword and sporran. Wondering who this vision was, he stepped up his pace, waving to the group, trying to catch their eyes.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2005 12:56
((hang on! whats this Aneras, Nick knows Ian? so Bereth' if you want Nick and Ian to know each other, let me know, cause I wasn't aware of it, I thought Nick knows nobody. Just so we do not muddle infos)

Nick grinned broadly when he noticed Madlen's blush. The girl liked this guy, no doubt. He had kinda caught her in the 'act' or more likely in the 'emotion'. Madlen introduced the sword-interested guy as Andy. "nice tae ken ye, Andy." he nodded his head in greetings and was just about to ask Andy about his particular interest in swords or rather the type of swords he was keen on or the area of history that really interested him when Madlen hurried him up to go to some cafe. "I thenk tha..." he stopped speaking when Andy equally hurried decided to follow Madlen's request rather speedily and in walking off they kinda invited him to come along. Though it seemed to Nick that the invitation had been somewhat half-hearted. He was about to decline, when...he didn't know what it was...some feeling of excitement at the second mention of the cafe made him put back the roman sword and just follow the two shrugging.

Whatever! Why not a café? he could do with a nice strong one, or for that matter a strong Earl Grey. Only when they nearly reached the café he came to his senses wondering why the heck he followed them to a café. Hadn't he come here particulary to learn about these roman swords? Metals used and the was the metal was folded and forged? had he not been waiting for this for weeks and now he stood in front of a bleeding..... café. As he looked up at the name of the Café he heared hurrying footsteps approaching their little group.
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2005 12:57
Madlen checked her watch as the saw the others arrive. " Come on! We're late, let's go!" She said.
Ian laughed. " Since when have you been on time to anything?" He teased. " And besides, O'Connor hasn't arrived yet. Not only that, you haven't told Nick what we're doing or why. I think you need to slow down a little Madlen."
Madlen groaned. " How come I never remember the important things?" She said. She sat down at a table. " Well, we might as well get something to drink."
A waitress walked over to them. " Uh, I'll have a mineral water, still." She said. Everyone ordered their drinks.
" Right then Nick, introductions first. This is Ian. I think you've met him before, but I guess you didn't spend a lot of time together." Ian and Nick shook hands. " We're headed for the North of Wales, to Anglessey, Sir Fon in Welsh. I don't quite understand why, but Ian does, so I'll let him explain." Madlen sat back, and took a sip of her water when it arrived.

(I hope this post doesn't get everyone up in arms like the last one)

[Edited on 28/2/2005 by Aneras]
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2005 02:57
((Aneras, Bereth', Jaid, please quickly check OOC before posting and talk to me there, thanks ))

[Edited on 27/2/2005 by Elebridith]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 27, 2005 07:42
*With a stern look on her face, Berethedhellen glowers at her band of travelers* Everyone march in single file to the OOC thread, NOW!

*giggles* Just kidding, but I do wish you all to read my last post in OOC, pleeeeeeeze.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 28, 2005 07:30
Ian remembered meeting Nick on one of the many family gatherings of Madlen's huge family and had liked him immediately. He had often wondered why as they had little in common. Nick was a gifted smithy who created exquisite antique swords and other armament and Ian had such a business mind. He had always thought Nick and Andy would get along famously, given Andy's love of medieval weapons. Still, he and Nick had found much to talk about and had spent several hours totally at ease with one another. Nevertheless, he was glad that Nick and Andy were finally meeting. Ian looked around and asked, "Hasn't O'Connor arrived yet?" One of the group said they hadn't seen him. "Then let's have a brew while I try to explain to Nick why we're going to Wales. But, Nick, are you sure you want to hear all this."

Nick nodded, still wondering why he had had the urge to follow Madlen and Andy when they had hurried to the cafe. Ian shook his head. "I would have thought you'd prefer to be at the Fair as they have so many stalls with the kind of stuff you like. Oh well, I don't know where to begin. I was hiking in Anglesey and the strangest thing happened." He went on to explain the events of the past two days. He noticed amusingly that he even had Madlen's attention for a change.

"So that's it. We came to Oxford to talk to Andy's mentor, Dr. O'Connor, who pretty much insisted that he wanted to come with us when Andy and Madlen said they would take me back to see if we could piece together what actually happened. We are just waiting for him to arrive now. Oh, and Liz wishes us well and will try and join us Saturday when her finals are over, assuming we're still there at the end of the week." Glancing at Nick, he added, "Liz and I have been seeing each other for a while now. I'm rather serious about her, I must say." A momentary look of loss and disappointment crossed his face, knowing it would be a week before he saw her again but then he smiled with amusement. "So, that is great story that has us all crossing the length of England twice in the same day. I say, will we be able to put all of us AND our packs in Madlen's little runabout?"

Looking out the window for a second, Ian thought he caught a glimpse of the professor. "Oh, I do believe that's O'Connor, isn't it?" He waited while the rest of the group searched the holiday crowd outside, all seemingly heading for the Fair.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2005 08:04
Andy listened quietly to the voices and then turned as Ian pointed out O'Conner. He stood lazily and held out a hand. "Yo, over here."

He grinned as O'Conner shook his head at Andy's loud, casual greeting. Andy sank back into his chair and picked up the hot chocolate he'd ordered. He had felt like something sweet today.
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2005 04:13
When Thomas O'Connor finally arrived at the café he found the rest of the group already gathered there. He was casually greeted by Andy, as the young man often did, causing Thomas to raise an eyebrow and shake his head.
"Well, I see you're all here already." Turning over to Ian he added "So Liz is not coming to see us off? Maybe it's better that way, women cry too much at these things. And who is that? He asked noticing Nick at the table, and soon they were introduced by Madlen.
As Ian and the others were still dicussing, how all of them were to get to Anglessey, Thomas took the liberty to order a whiskey for himself. He would have offered a car, had he owned one, but he had never bought another one after his first car had been stolen many years ago. So placing his glass back down on the table, he only asked: "So does anybody else have his car here, or will we have to rent one?" The others seemed a little surprised at the idea, as they had seemingly forgotten that he, with his regular income had the means to easily afford something like that.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2005 04:45
Once Nick and his group reached the door, Ian had done so as well, and seeing him closer Nick remembered the guy as one of his cousin's friends, who he had come to meet once in a while when family gathered down south. Nick followed everyone inside. They were all excited about something especially Madlen, who was telling him a thing or two to raise his curiosity. He finally sat down at a table with them all greeting Ian. "Its bin a lang time we've seen each other." he said grinning to Ian. "an' ye mighta heard tha' I moved doon tae Wales meself after I feneshed me studied in London." he smiled at Ian, who was looking around for someone else he called O'Connor. "Wha' tha' heel is goin' on then? wha' ye all so excited aboot?" Nick still looked blankly at everybody.

Finally Ian told him a little story, about having gone over to Anglesey the lovely mystic island, renowned for old historic stories. So at first he just nodded as Ian spoke not thinking much about it. But when he started to talk about having long hair, blowing in the wind, and long gowns..and all that, he simply raised his left brow sharply. A ship? well why not, there were a lot of ships at the coast of Scotland too, and once in a while you would see some modern sailor keen on steering of old ships. He really thought Ian was kidding and just telling them a story he read somewhere making himself the hero of it. He had to give it to him though, he could invent very interesting names for the people in it. Finally Nick grinned when Ian was done with the story. It all sounded awfully much like Tolkien. "right, I'm scottish, ye ken? we are verra familiar wi' ancient tales, so, nice one...Ian." He nodded still smirking. Surely Ian was trying to pull Nick's leg and the whole group was in on it.

"Aye, ye waiting frae the Professor tae come back tae Anglesey and slip intae ye new adventure. Sure...can I come?" his voice was full of humorous sarcasmn. "weel, which way will we teke then? Worm-hole or mebe a Stargate?" his said seemingly straight-faced. Besides, Ian was already talking about his girl-friend so the tease was over now. But then the door opened and a man entered who Ian pointed out as the mentioned Mr. O'Connor. Nick wrinkled his brows and nudged Ian with his elbow to get his attention. "Seriously noow, ye all wanna go frae a day-trip tae Anglesey? tae look for some ancient stuff, aye? and Mr. O'Connor..." Nick stood up for a moment and bowed his head to the man then sat back down again. He always had this odd habit since his child-hood. His parents had been teasing him about 'respectfully head-bowing'. "...Mr. O'Connor, I'm sure, ye will be tha' one tae teel me tha' truth, thess lot is up tae teke the mick of me, talking aboot time-travelling intae wha' sounds like Tolkien's werld. Really, a bonnie idea , but seriously, might ye enlighten me as tae what kinda expedition thess really ess?...I'm Nick MacGregor by the way, nice tae meet ye." he grabbed Thomas' hand and when the barman brought him a whiskey Nick raised his finger as well. "can ye meke thess a Glen Grant (scottish whiskey) frae me?"
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2005 05:04
LONDON - in the afternoon

A young tall blond haired sunny-boy was walking non-chalantly down Shaftesbury Road in London, heading for Picadilly Circus. He was dressed in a pair of black leather pants and a white sleeveless T-shirt showing off his muscles. It was obvious that he enjoyed the showing off. By the looks of him, he wasn't just handsome, but unfortunately seemed to know it very well, too. He stopped at a corner-shop to buy himself a piece of Pizza at a Pizza-Take-away. Ronny Tucker was used to his somewhat unstable life. He had worked as a police officer for Scotland Yard during his apprenticeship and then got a job in their criminal office. But Ronny was just too independend and adventurous by nature to keep him stuck to a chair in an office. So he had set up his own office working as a freelanced private investigator, taking on all kind of things from helping Scotland Yard to find a murderer to the simple survaillance of a husbands or wifes out for some extra marital escapades.

His work got him up and down the country. He even had trailed a man via France to Italy. He could never tell where he would end up next and he loved it just the more. Ronny's nature was restless, cheerfull, humorous and helpfull to everyone esp. when he wasn't on a job, but his outspokenness and super self-confidence sometimes made him appear awfully arrogant. Maybe he even was in a way. His family was well off and grew up getting everything he ever wanted. He was very generous though and well-meaning to people. Ronny loved his job and was really good at it, he had a knack for spotting details, signs, hints, foot-steps and any other ways to track down people.

He glanced at his watch. Maybe it was time to leave now. He walked back up Shaftesbury Road and down Charing Cross, where in a side road he had parked his red Porsche. He was going to drive up to Aberystwyth to talk to this woman, who seemed involved in a case that had taken place in London a few weeks ago, on which he worked. He started the motor and got himself on a long way to get out of London's heavy traffic. He would at least waste 2 hours trying to get out of London. Never mind. The country roads of England were fantastic to step on the gas a bit more than allowed. What did he have his Porsche for after all. He reached into the small compartment opposit the front passenger seat and pulled out his sun-glasses put them one and rolled down the window, to lean on his elbow while he was slowly rolling down the road. He eyed up a few girls and winked at them. "wanna come for a ride, Baby?" he chuckled not expecting any answer.

(((This is to introduce Ronny Tucker/Erkenwine the Ranger of North Ithilien and to get him on his way to be drawn into the story. You need not mention him, I will just let him appear when the moment seems perfect, is that ok with you Bereth?)))
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2005 08:53
Madlen stood up. " Welly, seeing as my car is a Jaguar convertible, I can only fit four people in it, and the ones in the back are going to be pretty squashed. So I think we will need another car." It was a hot day, and she took off her jacket. Reching into her bag, she put on a pair of expensive Chanel sunglasses, and brushed her hair back into a ponytail. " But whatever way we go, I'd like to get moving. London isn't the same as Cardiff, and I'd like to get back there soon."
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2005 02:08
Nick was still waiting for an answer from O'Connor and Ian, but he picked up the general talk about cars and just raised his fingers. "I ha' an old Beetle..." he grinned lopsided. Why not? he could easily take along 3 more people besides him, if need be. He grinned at Madlen then returned his attention to O'Connor and Ian. He wanted to know what they wanted to do in Anglesey, cause he still believed the whole story to be a little tease and joke on him. Of course he had also read the well-known Tolkien books, eagerly at that, but what had those books to do with Anglesey? He'd been to the Island before and it never reminded him of Middle Earth before, so he was curious about the true reason they were going there. Nick though didn't mind to make quick decisions, he was spontaneous enough, with a friend like Ronny Tucker, he never knew where he'd end up anyway.

[Edited on 11/5/2006 by Elebridith]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 01, 2005 06:52
Ian had ordered a Guiness Stout and was sipping it as Nick teased the group, especially himself, about the time traveling nature of this entire episode. He reached up and scratched at the bandage still on his forehead, then quickly pulled his hand down, almost afraid to look down at his arm. The feeling that he might once again, here and now, in this very place, see a change to the clothing he had on swirled around him. Carefully feeling his sleeve with the fingers of his other hand, he felt only the normal denim of his jacket and sighed in relief. But the words Nick had used stayed in his mind. Time traveling? Worm holes? Stargate? Is that what this was about?

Suddenly, he felt anger flowing through him. It was not something to laugh at. It HAD happened, though how was a question. It was the WHY that bothered Ian, however. Looking Nick in the eye, he sternly said, "This is not a joke of some kind that I have told my friends for their amusement. Andy and Madlen were at the hospital. They saw my confusion first hand. And this bandage," touching the edge of it, "is not something I would have done just to make sure they got the punchline." He sat back and took a deep breath. It was so unlike him to lose his temper this way. "I'm sorry, Nick....still a little jumpy, I think. I don't know whether this was a...what did you call it...a worm hole?...a matter of time travel? All I know is that it happened. I was there and my name was Ciryacáno. Andy was there but his name was Valandil. I spoke in another language, fluently, I might add, but I have no knowledge of what that language was." Turning towards O'Connor, he asked, "What was it you called it? High Elvish?" Looking back at Nick, he pointed out that not one of this group doubted that something had happened but... "That is why we are going back, to see if we can determine the how, the why, the what. We will be returning to the cave where whatever happened to me...happened, and we'll....I'll....all of us....well, I don't know. We'll just see when we get there, I guess." His voice wavered and drifted into silence. He sighed again.

He listened to the discussion about whose car everyone was going to travel in and thought, I don't care what car we use. I just wish we could get this over with. He looked up at the group and blurted out, "I just bought a Land Rover. It's parked at the flat. We could all fit into that comfortably. Oh, Madlen, your car is here, too, isn't it? Well, perhaps Andy could ride back with you and keep you company. Professor, you could ride with me as there are many questions I'd like to ask you before we get there." Glancing sideways at Nick, he asked, "If you wouldn't find this a total bore, we'd love to have you join us if you wish." He genuinely meant it as he truly did like Nick and couldn't blame him for his amusement over the outlandish situation.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2005 07:18
Nick still smirked at Professor O'Connor when suddenly Ian turned to him yelling at him, with, what was unmistakable, an angry voice, if not worse. It took Nick completely by surprise, that he jumped on his seat, his eyes widened and his mouth slightly open, staring at Ian as if he had a fit or something. He noticed that Ian had been offended by his sarcasmn, while he had thought the joke was on himself. He listened to the strange descriptions of what apparently happened to Ian. He pointed out the others in the group, but they obviously had not had the same experience. They only heard about it from Ian when they met him at the Hospital. Hospital....! Nick dared to make his brows twitch for an instant, unintentionally. Was Ian confused? Was it a physical problem? he had helped out in the hospital as a volunteer for a while a few years ago and there were people talking to others in the room that weren't even there, but when you adressed them personally, they were all clear in the mind again.

Nick narrowed his eyes and stared at Ian. The guy was very sure though of what he seemed to have experienced. Nick couldn't believe it. It must have been a trick of the mind. Maybe the cave in Anglesey had strong magnetic fields that affected people diffrently or maybe...maybe... He followed Ian's glance over to Thomas O'Connor. This Professor was believing in something Ian said, obvioulsy interested enough to come along for himself. Nick wasn't the kind of guy who was strictly down to earth, just the opposit. He had always dreamed of diffrent worlds on other planets, and of time-travelling into the past and other odd things, that he never talked to anyone about. But he hardly dared to believe that something like that really existed because he was worried to lose his own grip on reality, being much too excited to doubt it. Deep inside, the whole story that Ian told was something he was dying to experience himself, but he had never dared to believe it could be true. "Enter Tolkien's werld...?" he finally said, still staring disbelievingly at Ian. "I'm sorry if I upset ye Laddie, bu' I thought ye were tekin' tha Mick of me...I most definitely follow ye..." His car war parked close enough. Nick got up from his seat. "alright ...shall we go then?" He was really eager now to see for himself. He wanted to know what it was about this cave, he was dying to see if he would feel diffrently as well or whatever, heck, was going to happen there. He marched over to the door, his kilt swaying with each step, the sword hanging from his belt stuck out to the back. At the door he stopped and looked back at the rest of them.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 02, 2005 09:09
Ian watched as Nick enthusiastically got up from the table and swaggered off towards the door. Smiling, he turned to rest of the group at the table and said, "Well, ladies and gentlemen, what say you? Shall we begin this adventure?" He was feeling much better than he had that morning. His head no longer ached and he was firmly planted here in the present, the mists of the morning having drifted away. At the moment, he was looking at the situation much as Nick had, as something not to take seriously. Yet, there was still that occasional whiff of ... something ... that made this journey anything but a joke.

Standing, he began to pick up his pack and then, suddenly, dropped it and stood up straight, staring off into the distance. He slapped the palm of his hand against his forehead, yelping slightly as his hit the sore spot that was still there. Staring at O'Connor, he said, "I think we should make a quick stop before we leave Oxford." Moans and groans came from Andy and Madlen. "No, listen for a minute. I think we should stop at Aunt Penny's," he noticed with amusement that Andy perked up at once. There was great affection between the two of them. "I know you know her, do you not, Professor? I believe she has assisted you in your medieval language studies." He noticed O'Connor nodding and smiling. "So you do see, don't you, that she might be familiar with whatever language I was speaking. And she was always fascinated with Tolkien's languages. I believe she even took a class or two with him when she was doing her under-graduate work. She would know. And I remember much of what I heard....and said," his voice slowly drifting into silence, as he became lost in though for a moment.

Nick stood by the door, wondering what was going to happen next. He found out immediately as Ian stooped down and picked up his pack, gazing at each of the group, fixing his eye on Madlen. "Madlen, drive us to my flat so I can pick up the Land Rover, then follow me to Aunt Penny's." Madlen waved an okay. "Nick, you can follow Madlen. Andy, you remember where she lives, don't you? Right off High Street?" When Andy nodded, he continued, " Professor, I'd like you to ride with me once I pick up my car, if you don't mind. I'd like to go over some things with you before we get to Aunt Penny's." O'Connor nodded his agreement and Ian finished, "Then let's go. Andy, can I borrow your phone so I can call ahead. She may love me dearly but I really don't want to arrive on her doorstep unexpectedly with a mob in tow." Andy handed Ian his phone, Ian tapped in the number, listening to the ringing on the other end. "Oh Aunt Penny, please be home," he thought, and then the phone was picked up.

"Hello."

[Edited on 4/3/2005 by berethedhellen]
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2005 09:30
In a small yellow house with an abundance of rose bushes about the front. Inside, a sleek, plump white and black cat meowed and rubbed the legs of his owner.

She was a tall, rather stocky woman, with graying hair and hazel eyes with thick rimmed glasses.

"Meow!"

"Alright, alright." the woman, affectionally known as Aunt Penny to Ian and Andy, said. "Goodness, Clyde, you do complain so."

She knelt and gave the cat his dinner. She stood again and pushed her glasses up on her nose as she inspected a cookbook. The phone rang and Penny started, then turned and answered it. "Hello?"

"Aunt Penny, you are home."

Penny blinked. "Ian? Of course I'm home; the dean practically kicked me out of Oxford-" she cut off with a hacking cough. "Excuse me dear." she said, then cleared her throat. "At any rate, why are you calling? Just to say hello? I'd rather you just come in person if you can; I do hate phone conversations..."

Penny cut off her rambling; she should let Ian have a word.

BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 02, 2005 10:24
"But that is precisely what I want to do, Aunt Penny. I want to come and see you. But I must admit, this is not exactly a social visit. I need your help. And I'd like to bring some friends."

He listened as for a moment and then said, "Well, I'm bringing Andy. Yes, yes, I know, but I'm bringing Madlen, too. And Madlen's cousin, Nick. No, you've never met him." There were some more words from Aunt Penny until Ian interrupted and said, "Aunt Penny, I know, and I am so sorry you are not feeling well but this is important. Oh, I'm also bringing Professor O'Connor. Yes, O'Connor."

More chattering from Aunt Penny and Ian answered, "I told you, Aunt Penny, this is not just a visit. We need your help. No, no, I'll tell you when we get there. It's a little complicated. Are you sure you won't mind our crashing in on you with such short notice?"

With a few more words from Penny, Ian let out a sigh of relief. "Alright, dear, we are picking up my car and then we will be right there. No, no, I'm not hiking. I'm here in Oxford right now so it won't be more than 10 or 15 minutes. Oh, thank you, Aunt Penny. You don't know how grateful I am. Yes, we'll all be there shortly. See you then."

Hanging up the phone and handing it back to Andy, he said to the group, "She's a little confused but she is waiting for us to arrive. I guess we'd best get moving."

The group left enough money on the table for the waitress and made there way for the door.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2005 12:04
Nick patiently waited at the door, his mind went back to the story Ian had revealed. It sounded fantastic, crazy too. He wanted to believe it was all real and true. Because it would be like a dreamworld coming true. Secretly he had often had dreams like that, when reading historic novels, or even fantasy ones for that matter, but particulary Tolkien's Middle Earth world had always fascinated him most, because it was so close to reality. So close, and therefore so easy to imagine, and believe in. He was getting very curious to find out what would be behind all this and deep in his heart he was scared to be dissappointed again, by some everyday-like-explanation, like a trick of the mind, having been asleep, or any other stuff. Hopefully Ian hadn't taken a joint or something to get such... no, no. It couldn't be true. The way Ian had told about it, dead serious, even upset when he thought it was a joke on him. there was something mysterious about it, there was something for sure.

His train of thoughts were interrupted when he heard Ian's voice call everyone to leave and stop at some Aunt Polly's house...Or Ponny...AH Penny. He wondered who that was. It seemed that everyone seemed familiar with that woman. His ears perked and he focused his attention on the content of Ian's following comments to that Professor. Medieval Language Studies? this woman must be clever at old tongues. This really fascinated him a lot, because he himself was a bit of a private hobby linguist. He had studied into all sorts of diffrent languages, hungarian, spanish, swedish, german, norwegian, japanese, even asian indian. He was fascinated by the diffrent grammar and the similarities. He was very interested to meet this woman, they just called Auntie Penny. When Ian adressed him to give him directions on how to get to the mentioned Lady Nick just nodded and hummed a little "Aye" in agreement. He started to play with the hilt of his sword, re-arranging his belt and finally just ran his fingers through his short dark hair. His deep blue eyes looked across the group, taking them in closer. Ian, he hadn't seen him for a long time, the boy had grown up into a very self-confident man. He was interested to hear what he was doing nowadays. Madlen was much more familiar to him, being his cousin, they had met often at the diffrent family gatherings either up in Inverness or down in Wales.

Andy he could hardly remember, but when he'd seen him standing at the stall, he had felt very familiar with the Lad. And it wasn't only due to their common interest in swords. His eyes fell on the Professor. He didn't know the man, nor did he know Aunt Penny. But it seemed, that all these people were drawn to this common cause. A cause, a happening, a mystery, that even he himself seemed to have been drawn in, too. It couldn't be a coincidence. It couldn't. He opened the door when Ian finished his call with Auntie and announced that they were leaving. Nick went outside but left the door open for Ian who seemed to be right behind him. WHile he waited for the rest of them to exit, his eyes looked down the road. There was a turning just a few steps ahead of them, which was, where his old mangled Beetle was parked. He reached into his sporran to get the key. "Madlen!...I'll jiss follow ye...where 'ye parked?"

[Edited on 4/3/2005 by Elebridith]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 04, 2005 06:56
When they left the cafe, Ian and O'Connor joined Andy and crammed into Madlen's car, which was parked just a bit down the road. "How did you get so lucky, Mad?" Ian asked. "With the Fair in town, it's a wonder you didn't have to park out of town in a field."

They headed off to Ian's flat, where they all had to double park for a moment so Ian and O'Connor could pull their packs from Mad's car and transfer them to Ian's Land Rover. As soon as he and the Professor were settled in his vehicle, he started the car and pulled out in front of Mad's car. The cars formed a caravan as they headed for High Street and Aunt Penny's house. Along the way, Ian and O'Connor discussed the possibilities that had created this phenomenon and how the sights Ian had seen matched the scenes as described in the books. Could this have been something formed by his memories of the books themselves? But he and O'Connor, who knew the books by heart, agreed that many of the scenes and the linguistic conversations he described had NOT appeared in the book, so where had they come from?

Before they finished their discussion, however, they all arrived, still together, no one having gotten lost, and easily found parking places, as Aunt Penny lived on a quiet street which had no pass through traffic. The group all tread up the path, past Penny's well-trimmed roses to the old oak front door, where Ian knocked twice, then with impatience, pulled on the cat-shaped knocker and banged it down on the door again.

He thought he heard someone saying 'alright, alright, I'm coming' when suddenly the door swung open. There stood his beloved Aunt Penny, a woman only inches shorter than his 6' 4" with graying hair but the clearest, brightest, most intelligent hazel eyes, rimmed with glasses. Her nose was a tad red and her voice had been hoarse and coughing on the phone.. which is why the dean had put her on temporary leave, as she had told him. Still, she smiled her warm, welcoming smile and Ian leaned forward giving her a bear hug, kissing her on her forehead.

"Aunt Penny, you look a lot better than you sound," he laughed. Then his voice got very serious. "How much do you remember of Tolkien's languages," he asked, seemingly from out of left field. Aunt Penny blinked, wondering, he was sure, where that question came from.

"Come, invite us in and we will explain all," he said, as she looked past him at the people who were piled up behind him, all watching at her.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2005 08:13
Penny smiled. "Of course, come in, all of you!" she quickly stepped aside and waved them in. "Don't mind the mess, dears-Clyde!" she bent down and picked up the cat who meowed louldy in protest. "He really is so very spoiled."

She led the way to the parlor; it was a comfy room with old furniture and a fire place. "Make yourselves at home." she invited. "Now...how much do I remember about Tolkien's languages...half a moment." She walked out, putting Clyde down.

The cat walked to Andy and began rubbing against his long legs. The young man chuckled and then picked up the cat and scratched behind Clyde's ears. The cat purred in contentment.

Penny came back, lugging several notebooks and stacks of loose papers; all rather dusty and worn. "Had to find my notes." she said, sitting down on the sofa and putting the material on the coffee table. "What exactly do you need to know, my dear?" she asked, looking at Ian.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2005 08:32
Nick got into his beaten Beetle and started the motor and a moment later was driving down the road following Madlen's care packed with people. He smiled to himself and without thinking started the cd-player, the only new item that Nick had built into his Beetle not too long ago. Without realising it he was humming to the melodies of beautiful music. He didn't even notice, that the last CD he had listened to was the soundtrack of the great movie of Tolkien's Trilogy. The themes of Gondor, the Shire, Rohan, all so easily detectable but when the theme of Rivendell was reaching his ears, he chilled deep in side. A chill of excitement and love and longing. He had always put it down to his love of music and gathered that gentle choir-y melodies just touched one's heart deeper than others. Still, he never noticed, that he didn't feel the very same feeling when the Lórien theme was heard.

It didn't take long when Madlen's car stopped in front of a house. Once he had parked his car and got out of it getting stuck in the door and seat with his sword he had forgotten to take off during the ride, all the others were already assembled at the door, which opened to an enormously tall woman. Nick shut the door and his mouth as he followed the group to greet, which turned out to be, Aunt Penny. "nice tae meet ye Madam.." he said to her nodding his head when the woman invited them all in. He walked past the cat making a meow-sound to Clyde into a cosy room with a lovely old fashioned fire-place, just the kind of thing he loved. It didn't really suit his cottage though.

He turned and twisted his neck as he looked around the place and finally sat down on a chair trying to make sure his bits and pieces were covered when seated. After all, it was commonly known what a true Scot wore under his kilt. Aunt Penny seemed like a very sociable and friendly woman, and...incredibly tall for one. He noticed again when she left the room and returned again with a heap of note. 'Tolkien's languages' he heard her say. He had always been fascinated by Tolkien's invented languages. Though he hadn't really had the time to study any of them ..yet. Since he still felt a bit of a stranger to this particular exploration tour, not knowing in detail what it was all about, he just kept quiet and listened to what was being said.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email