Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
Post RE: KEEP: Time Warp in Wales
on: March 05, 2005 11:11
As the group trooped in behind Penny, she led them to her front parlor, a typical English one containing well-worn furniture of indiscriminate age, a fire place with a small fire to take off the slight chill of the late afternoon and a mulitude of framed pictures covering most of the flat surfaces in the room. She invited them to make themselves at home and then asked the question her eyes had asked at the front door. "Now...how much do I remember about Tolkien's languages...half a moment." Ian smiled, recognizing in that one question all that he had always loved about his aunt. Never had she questioned his motives, never had she made judgements about whatever those motives might be, she simply accepted him as he was. She had not even commented on the remains of the bandage on his forehead, though he caught her eye looking at it with curiosity every now and then. Even now, when he had barely greeted her before asking her an odd question, when he had not even acknowledge the group with him, she asked him no questions, just welcomed him and this band of strangers to her home. Putting Clyde on the floor, she left the room and returned a several moments later, carting a stack of ragged edged papers and notebooks. Setting them on the coffee table, she plunked down on the sofa asking, "What exactly do you need to know, my dear?"

"Aunt Penny, I have been horribly rude. I know you know this chap," he said, pointing at Andy, whose lap was totally hidden by Clyde, who appeared to be ready to stay there for the rest of the day. "And you've known Maddie since she was, what, six years old or so. And Professor O'Connor needs no introduction either. But we do have here a total stranger to you. This wild-looking highlander is Maddie's cousin, Nick. He had arrived today to attend the Rennaisance Fair but has decided to come with us instead." Knowing his Aunt, he could see she was thinking about, not the highlander, but just where it was they all were going and what in heaven's name did this have to do with Tolkien's languages, however she nodded politely in Nick's direction, her warm smile a greeting in its own right.

"But, to get to your question, I must begin long before it became a question." Her puzzled look made him laugh. "It won't take long. I promise. And before you ask, no, we don't need a cup of tea or biscuits. We just left a cafe where we all had something to drink. But thank you for the thought. Now......." Ian commenced once again to explain what had occurred that morning (was it only this morning that he woke in hospital in Wales??? It seemed so long ago.) He was finding the more he told this story, the more it was resembling what Nick had first thought of it...a fun tale to wile away the day. Yet there was still that little bit of the reality swirling around it. While he spoke, he watched as varying emotions crossed Penny's face, but he kept going, refusing to respond to them until he had finished his tale. Then he spent a moment telling her about the reason for his original question, giving her examples of the words he had spoken and heard, finishing with, "I remember calling Liz...only she wasn't Liz, her name was Celuien....melmenya." Aunt Penny had been perusing her notebooks as he spoke, looking over her old notes.

"Now, Professor O'Connor seemed to feel that the words I was using was in something called High Elvish." The word slipped through her lips in little more than a sigh, so that he wondered if he had actually heard it.

"Quenya."

The word hung in the air for a moment then Ian blurted out. "Quenya? How can one tell whether it was Quenya or something else?" Ian asked. His mind went back to the books as he and O'Connor had discussed them while driving from his flat to Aunt Penny's. "I thought the language of Middle Earth was Sindarin." He stopped for a minute, his mind analyzing what he had learned, not only from reading the books but from his crash course in the car from the Professor. "But the some of the older elves from Valinor, Lorien and the Grey Havens did still speak the ancient language, didn't they? And Ciryacáno is from Mithlond. Don't ask me how I know that but....." His voice drifted off as he puzzled over this.

There was a pregnant silence in the room for a short while, then Ian stood up, pulling the papers from Aunt Penny's lap and dumping them unceremoniously on the table, then pulling her to her feet. He gave her another bear hug and then held her by her shoulders, gazing into her soft but oh so intelligent eyes. "I love you, Aunt Penny. Thank you so much. And I do hate to seem rude, but now we must be off." This was not just a tale, a story, he suddenly realized. The reality of it had entered his mind and he was anxious to find the reason for just why he had been chosen to be a part of it.

Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2005 11:57
Nick had again nodded friendly towards Aunt Penny, when Ian pointed him out again as a highlander. He was very proud of this particular label. But Aunt Penny seemed in a world of her own at this very moment. Nick glanced over at Ian, when he continued to converse with his aunt. It was clear now, that it was Ian's aunt, and she was talking to his nephew about elvish. Nick furrowed his brows over this. Elvish, Tolkien. It just wasn't real. It was a fantasy novel. He heard Ian mention what the Professor had talked to him about in the car, about High elves and now...the words 'Quenya' and 'Sindarin' filled the room. Geez! they were talking about Tolkiens works as if it was real. Mentioning historical facts that weren't real but in TOlkiens mind. They all acted as if this was reality. As if it was all true.

Without realizing it, Nick was shaking with nervosity and thrill. He felt fidgety on his chair. Dammit! he wanted to go and see and feel and ...whatever...He wanted to know if this was real. What was he thinking? This all couldn't be real. He was really getting carried away. Maybe Ian had found something resembling Avalon, thinking it had to do with elves, being as much a Tolkien fan as he was himself. His lips pressed firmly together under the tension. What was going on? all this Tolkien talks. Ian had gotten up ready to leave. Nick blinked. His thoughts were going wild in his mind. Quenya, Sindarin, elvish, High Elves...Mithlond! Tolkien! Middle Earth! "...IMLAAADRISSSSS!!.." he suddenly yelled out aloud and jumped up from his chair. Then gasping, having scared himself. His hand shot up to his mouth to hold it shut.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2005 12:28
LONDON TO ABERYSTWYTH, WALES

Ronny put on the radio in his porsche when he finally got out of London and was already on the A40 via Oxford to Cheltenham then Worchester. He risked a quick glance at the map lying open on the passenger seat. Ah, yes, then he had to take the A44 straight to Aberystwyth. Great! It would take a couple of hours now. Mrs. Schmidt, yes, thats the woman he had to see about the case he was working on. A young girl was missing. And Mrs. Schmidt somehow must have gotten to know the girl while she was staying in her London flat. The porter at the reception of the large house containing many flats like this had told him, after he had flashed his Private Investigators ID at him, that Mrs. Schmidt had a house at the edge of the cliffs north of Aberystwyth. The woman knew something. German name. Ronny managed to reach into his jacket lying on the backseat of his car to pull out his packet of cigarettes. He lit one and started to inhale with glee. His head was nodding to the music on the radio. " I don't wanna rock...DJ!!.." he started to sing along with the rythmic song.

After about 4 hours drive he was entering Wales at Tewkesbury. The countryside started to get from soft hills to slightly higher hillocks and mountains in the distance. Maybe he should stop somewhere for a coffee and to relief a physical need. The newsreporter talked on the radio. "...the historic Penmon Priory an Abbey in Anglesey, has opened today its newest hall of weaponry. Today and tomorrow they are celebrating the National Trusts anniversary with an Open Day, entry free, under the heading of 'Anglesey through the Ages'..." Ronny listened intendly. Weaponry, wow, through the ages. Anglesey was well know for being a very ancient site. There were a hell of a lot of megaliths on that island. Maybe he could drive up there to have a look. After all, he would soon be close enough, and who knew when he would get there next. Putting his cigarette to his lips he was inhaling deeply. Damn! he really should get up this dreadful habit.

[Edited on 11/5/2006 by Elebridith]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 05, 2005 05:34
Pushing everyone out in front of him, first taking Clyde from Andy's arms and handing him over to Aunt Penny, then bending down slightly to give her a kiss on her forehead, Ian thanked her again and promised to come and visit with her as soon as he returned from Wales (assuming he ever did, he thought hilariously). Meeting with the others as they waited by their cars, he reached into the Rover and yanked a map out of the glove compartment. Spreading it out on the hood of the vehicle, he told them the route he was going to take, which mirrowed the one he had taken before all this began.

"I went M40 up towards Birmingham and then I whisked off onto M54 to Shrewsbury. From there it was a pretty straight shot on A5 to Anglesey, except I took an offshoot on B4422 and A 4080 to Aberffraw. That's where I began my hike, along the coast. I think if I'm going to try and recapture...whatever it was.....well, anyway, that's the way I'm going to go. Mad, are you going to go on home from here or are your going with Andy, the Professor and I? I can't thank you enough for all the help you've been to me but if you really want to go home and see your mum, I'll understand. I'd love to have you come with us, though. And Nick....what of you? Are you staying for the Fair? We've already wasted an entire afternoon of your time. Surely you can't want to give up any more time on what you have made rather clear you think is a great jest on my part. Or do you? Have we enticed you enough to tag along on our little adventure?"

"If so, would you like to leave your car parked here and ride in the Rover with the Professor and I? Or perhaps with Madlen." Not yet having a decision from Madlen, he didn't know with whom Andy would travel. If Madlen was coming with them, it would probably be better that either Andy,... or Nick... ride with her. She had been doing all the driving all day and was surely tired by this time. It was still another 338 kilometers from here, at least 4 and a half hours drive to get back to Anglesey, and she could perhaps use someone else to take over the drive for a while.

He began to make sure his things were all stuffed in the back along side O'Connor's as he waited for the three of them to sort out who was going along, and who was going to go with whom?
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2005 06:16
Madlen ran a hand through her straight ash blonde hair. " Nick should drive with you Ian. He needs to know more about what's going on, and you can fill him in better than we can." She was talking about her and Andy. " Besides, I don't trust him with my car. With his weird sense of humour, he might think it's funny to drive into a tree or something." She smiled. They had arrived beside the cars again, and Madlen leaned on hers with one hand. " So are we decided yet?" She asked. Pressing a button on the keys, the roof of the car slid down, revealing black leather seats. " But whatever we decided, we'd better get going. We want to get there before it's dark right? My dad has called ahead and booked us a place in a hotel that's near the coast. But if you don't want to stay there, I guess we could stay in," She wrinkled her nose in disgust. " Tents!"
In truth, she had been quite spoilt while being brought up. Her parents had plenty of money to spend on her, and did just that, buying her whatever she wanted. She had never stayed in a tent, or even stayed in a campsite of any kind. She stayed strictly in five star hotels only, and hated the thought of sleeping in a tent.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2005 08:49
Nick was glad that nobody found his IMLADIRS outburts surprising. Obviously, it all seemed to fit in with they daydreaming about Anglesey and the mysterious happenings there. He said his good bye to Aunt Penny when Ian was suddenly in a rush to leave. The boy was eager, very eager indeed and Nick couldn't help feeling rather thrilled to find out more himself. He therefore eagerly followed Ian, Andy and Madlen outside. Nick blinked when Ian kinda wondered if he wanted to go back to the fair or come with them. "Wha'? bu' I thought ye already asked me tae come along in tha Pub, an' thess es why I am he', Ian. Ye jiss wanted tae teke a short-cut via ye Auntie before we all wanted tae go on tae explore whatever et ess tha' ha' happened tae ye...So really, I was under tha impression tha' I was invited tae come along, unless of course, ye'd prefere tae only teke along those tha' know more about yer experience there." He felt a little unsure now, if he should say 'yes, I want to come along' because he felt as if Ian didn't really want him to come along.

Madlen then mentioned about who they should be driving with. She mentioned about someone finding it funny to drive the car on a tree. He raised a brow at Madlen. "Maddy, I hope ye didna talk aboot me, wi' tha' comment. I'm no' a wild driver...though mebe..." he grinned. "..a fast one.." he put an arm around Madlen's shoulder giving her a friendly squeeze. "Weel, I thenk me old Beetle is weel tekin care off at yer Auntie's, Ian, so if ye dinna mind havin' me in ye wee exploration party...then I dinna mind who I drive wi'." he really didn't mind who he joined. And he didn't mind driving the car for a few hours, after all the way up to Anglesey was still rather a long one. He walked over to his Beetle to get his leather-satchel with stuff in it that he might need, and through a plaid over his shoulders. Locking his car he returned to the group and adressed Ian. "so...I'm ready if ye are..."
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2005 11:43
"I'll go with Madlen, then." Andy stated. "Ian, why don't you drive with Nick and O'Conner can decide who he wants to go with." Andy glanced at his mentor. "Whaddya say doc?"

He wouldn't mind going with Ian or Madlen; however, he hoped that O'Conner would go with Ian and Nick, since Ian still seem pretrubed and Andy wasn't sure if Nick was the best company at the moment. As friendly as the Scotsman was, Ian would probably do better with someone quieter.

Besides, teasing Madlen was such fun. Andy was bored, his entire day had been pretty much shot and Madlen's wrinkled nose when she had said the word "tents" was way too good to pass up.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 07, 2005 06:10
As Ian made certain everything he and the Professor had decided to bring was stashed in the back of the Rover, he listened to the others discuss who should drive with whom. At Nick's doubtful comment, Ian looked up at him in surprise. "No, no, Nick. Of course we'd like to have you come along. I merely thought that since you had come all the way here to attend the Fair, you would prefer to stay. Aside, of course, from the fact that you have hardly taken all this seriously." He grinned at the Scotsman. "If you are coming with us, then I tend to agree with Andy. He should ride with Madlen and you and the Professor can ride with me. I will be talking more to him en route and you can listen in ... perhaps, I hope, removing some of your scepticism." He held out his hand towards Nick. "Here, give me your bag and I'll tuck it in with ours. And....um....you might be a bit more comfortable if you put your sword in here as well." Ian chuckled as he took Nick's bag, putting it in with O'Connor's and his, waiting for Nick to unsheathe the sword.

Before they all climbed into one of the two vehicles, Ian smiled at Madlen. "Woman, you are incorrigable. A hotel booked to receive us?? No doubt a 5 star one if there is such a thing in Aberffraw. Well, after all, it might be a blessing. My head is beginning to ache a tad again and we still have over 4 hours driving ahead of us before this day ends. We have all been through a lot already today so a soft bed at the end of our drive might well be a welcome thing. When next you speak with your father, thank him for us...but remember, no driving while talking on the cell phone." He knew his friend too well. He sometimes thought she had been born with a phone attached to one ear or the other. "I don't know about the rest of you, but I will probably need to eat something in a couple of hours at the most. There is a great inn just past Shrewsbury. Let us stop there for a good hot meal and then finish the journey well fed and at least with a temporary break to rest us all." He closed the boot of the Rover and went around to the driver's door. Turning and smiling at his friends, he said, "I'm ready...I think. But before I change my mind, let's go." He climbed into the driver's seat and put the key in the ignition and revved up the Rover.

They left Oxford and took the route that Ian had taken less than a week earlier for as he had said, he wanted to follow the same track he had taken to see if he could duplicate the events that had occurred. He led the way, stopping at the "The Swan", the inn he had mentioned, where they all ate a delicious meal but in much more haste than it deserved, and then were on the road again, arriving in Aberffraw at about 10:00 P.M. They were grateful to Madlen for her foresight, for the hotel where they were to spend the night turned out to be a charming inn over 400 years old. It's antiquity seemed to put them all in the right mood for the next day's adventures.
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2005 10:42
Madlen got changed quickly when she arrived at the hotel, and went downstairs. Looking around her, a smile lit up her face. " Hi." She said happily, and walked towards the doors. Standing there was young man. He had dark hair spiked up, and perfect blue eyes. She hugged him. It was her boyfriend, Kristian. They were going out on the town that night, after being apart for so long. She had asked the concierge to give them a list of bars, which they would pick from later. " Wait a minute, I just want to go see if one of my friends want to come." She said. It would be nice for them to meet her boyfriend, seeing as he didn't go to Oxford. He was studying in a rugby academy in Cardiff. Taking his hand, she went first to Andy's room, and knocked on the door. He opened it quickly. " Hey Andy. Me and Kristian are just heading out to a couple of bars, want to come?" She asked, with Kristian's arm around her shoulders.
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2005 01:26
((Apologies again for not having posted for so long.))
Thomas had listened to all Ian had mentioned, and their discussions during the ride had made it clear to the professor that something really had happened. He had always been fascinated by the possibility of paralell universes and such theories. At times he regretted that he had not studied physics instead, but when he thought about all the math he would have had to do then, this -admittedly strange- thought was soon put aside again.
After they had stopped at "the Swan" he had gotten a few books and manuscripts out of his pack, to look up different things while Ian and he tried to find out more about what had happened. Even now in his room in the charming inn, where they would spend the night, he had no eyes for his surroundings, still researching in his papers.
Ciryacáno. Thomas had tried to find that name mentioned somewhere in the works of Tolkien. But he had failed so far. He sighed. So far he could only draw basic conclusions. As the language Ian had spoken had been Quenya Ciryacános heritage was likely to be Calaquendi and that his ancestors had returned to Middle Earth either with the host of Feanor or with that of Fingolfin. Again he sighed, closing some of his books. Walking over to the bed he hoped the next day would bring new informations to fill the many gaps in the story.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2005 08:23
Nick raised his brows at Ian's reply, his shoulders hunched and his palms turned up. "Its no, tha' I'm scepticle, Ian, but ye should understand, I jiss came he' tae vesset a fair no't thenkin' of anything more, jiss swords an' me crafts, then Madlen, Andy an' yeself come along teelin' me a far oot story...I'm sure anybody else confronted wi' a story like yours oot of the blue would wonder, if ye've not been smokin' something...if ye git me drift. Besides, I only thought ye wanted tae ked me...Madlen always takes the pess of me." He handed over his leather-satchel to Ian. "Besides, tha' story es intriguing...an' I'd be the last person no' wanting tae follow it up tae see if mebe some magic could be behind it..." He didn't unsheath his sword, cause it was very sharp, on both sides, but he unbuckled his belt and handed the whole bundle to Ian. "watch oot wi' me sword."

Finally he got into the car. "I'm verra prone tae want tae believe in time-travel, Ian, an' anytheng of the likes, but how often ha' it haappend tae ye in ye life? probably tha firsht time, right? So jiss gi' me the chance tae find oot for meself, ye can be sure, that I want ye story tae be true..cause ets a dream I harbour meself..ye see?" Finally they drove off and the PRofessor and Ian were talking about the elven language again as if it was the most natural thing. It did really sound very crazy if you thought about it with the mind of the every-day-like person, the common normal human. But Nick loved unusual things, and had secretly wished he would fall into a time-slip and find himself in another time. They stopped to eat at some place, but it all went on really fast and before he knew it, they were on the road again heading north. "ye ken, Ian, I once read aboot people experiencing time-slips of the most amazing type. If ye interested tae here, I'll teel ye aboot it."

Yet, there was no time to talk about anything, cause they arrived in Anglesey, in a place called Aberffraw where everyone hastily headed for a Hotel to stay the night. Nick went up to his room and lay in bed reading. He always carried a book or two around with him. For a moment he glanced into thin air. He wished he had been able to talk to the group a little more, but for the moment he felt rather like an invisible bystander, who might have been a visitor from another time just come to watch. With such odd feelings he fell asleep.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2005 08:54
Ronny finally arrived in Aberystwyth in the late afternoon. It turned out, that the place Mrs. Schmidt lived was in a smaller place a little north of Aberystwyth, a few miles up the A487. Ronny was lucky the woman was home who told him a few very strange things indeed about the missing girl. She told him, the girl had wanted to go up to Anglesey so desperately. She had told Mrs. Schmidt a few rather odd things the girl had experienced there before, if Mrs. Schmidt could be believed, the young girl was possibly off her rocker, in his opinion, cause she had told her something about wanting to meet that guy again who apparently came from another planet, probably the Pleiades. Ronny had observed Mrs. Schmidt closeley and at the end of their talk he was sure, that if anyone was off their rocker it was the young girl.

Ronny then decided to drive up to Anglesey to a place near the coast that the girl had mentioned to Mrs. Schmidt. Apparently she had only left her house yesterday, so if he hurried and drove all night, he might probably catch up with her. Someone would have seen her and people would remember her, cause she would still be fresh on their minds. Besides, if she kept on telling odd stories like meeting people from other planet, there was nobody that would forget her in a hurry. Ronny got into his car immediately and started to drive up north, to Anglesey.

[Edited on 9/3/2005 by Elebridith]
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2005 07:29
Andy blinked. He hadn't been aware Madlen had a boyfriend -although he did tend to space out when she and Ian had a conversation going, so it was entirely possible he had missed it.

"No." Andy said after only a moment. His face revealed nothing of his surprise. "I'd rather just turn in; all that driving has me worn out. 'Night Mads." He nodded to her boyfriend and then closed the door.

Andy should have expected Madlen would have a boyfriend; he wondered why he was so surprised with that fact. Shrugging it off, he laid down on the bed and pulled out his book again.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 09, 2005 08:04
The morning sun poured through the open curtains in Ian's room. He had been up for an hour already, dressing in his hiking clothes (including the denim jacket he had worn in the cave) and packing his gear in his backpack. Carrying the pack with him, he descended the stairs of the inn to the main hall, stopping at the front desk to ask the direction of the dining room. When the clerk pointed it out, Ian requested that wake-up calls be made to his companions and then he headed down the hall to the front of the building, where the dining room was placed to give the best views of the ocean. Finding a large enough table to seat the five of them, he dropped his pack and plunked down on a chair that gave allowed him an open view of the huge bay outside. He watched the fishing boats trolling offshore and closer in, the sail boats tacking against the cool late autumn wind. His eyes were searching, though for what he could not tell.

One by one, his companions arrived; Madlen tossled and sleepy-eyed, Andy smiling his lazy smile, Nick bright-eyed, and O'Connor, lost in thought. Ian suggested they order a hefty meal as he had no idea when they would next eat. He helped himself from the buffet to kidneys, tomatoes, eggs and toast. A glass of juice and a cup of tea rounded out his meal. His mind was racing as he munched on his meal, his eyes looking at his companions but hardly seeing them. Except one, whose garb caught his attention.

"Madlen, you cannot hike the beaches with us in those shoes and that tank top. The going is rough and the air is cold. Have you nothing else you can wear?" Ian was feeling very irritable and anxious this morning. He felt as though he must prove something to his friends yet how could he be sure that would even be possible? How could he know what had set off the events of the days before and how could he create that same event now? Maybe they were all right....maybe he had just fallen and hit his head, thus dreaming about what he thought had happened. Maybe it never had. But then, where had he come up with the names and languages he recalled, that O'Connor and Aunt Penny had recognized immediately as belonging to Middle Earth, yet not in any version of the books? He had removed the bandage from his head and now he scratched the slim cut on his forehead. He had finished cleaning his plate and pushing it away from him, he stood abruptly. His friends were languidly enjoying their delicious meal and looked up at him in surprise.

"I can't do this! Yet I must.." he dropped back onto his chair, his head between his hands. Someone patted him on the shoulder, someone said "It's okay, it's okay" and someone suggested that maybe the best thing to do was just to get moving and let the day bring what it would bring. ((OOC: I leave it up to you guys to decide who does which...LOL))

The group left the dining room, each picking up some form of gear from the lobby where they had left it, and headed out into the crisp, cool air of autumn. Ian headed directly for the beach and upon reaching the sandy, rock strewn strand, turned south and began to follow the line of the cliffs to his left. The ocean opened up to his right and waves fell quietly along the shore. He trudged along as though driven...someone called out for him to slow down, just a bit. He turned and looked back at his friends, all struggling to keep up with his pace and took a deep breath, exhaling slowly. They were right, of course, though not for the reason they had called to him. When he had first taken this hike, he had been in no hurry and had been enjoying the beautiful day, as it was now. He began to hike at a slower pace, looking ever towards the cliffs for the cave in which he had taken his rest. How would he be able to find it, he wondered, as the cliffs were pockmarked with caves? Which one was his?

They had hiked for several miles (Madlen was not enjoying this), when a light fog began to roll in off the water, chilling the air. Just when the group had had about enough of plodding along, chilled and damp, Ian spotted it....the cave in which he had begun his adventure. "There! There it is! Let's climb up to it." Looking back at the shivering group, he smiled. "It will be warmer for all of us inside. We could even light a fire. I remember there was some hunks of driftwood someone had put in there, piled in the corner." He turned, looked up and began to grip the jutting pieces of rock, climbing quickly up the side of the cliff face and landing on the floor of the cave under the overhanging cliff shelf. "Come on, it's not far...an easy climb. And what a view!" He stood looking out through the thin veil of fog at the ocean, waiting for his companions to join him. He noticed, though, that the fog was thickening even as they climbed and he wondered how long they would have to stay in the cave. It would be difficult to hike if it got much worse.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2005 11:48
Nick stretched himself long in his bed, when he woke up the next morning. A streak of light was passing through the gap of the curtains and teased his nose to a sneeze. A moment later the room-phone was ringing, which turned out to be just a wake-up call. Nick suddenly remembered where he was and why. He instantly jumped out of bed, put on his shirt and kilt, socks and firm shoes and went to wash and shave. He was very excited about todays explorations. Ian would take them to the place where Magic seemed to come true. Ruffling his short black hair with his fingers, Nick stepped over to the table to pack up his bits and pieces, putting them into his leather satchel and strapped his sword to his back, with a diffrent kind of belt. It wasn't really the best way to draw a sword, if in danger, but Nick didn't expect any danger, and he wouldn't leave his sword behind, so on his back it was easy to carry without getting in the way.

Feeling all fresh and ready for anything, Nick appeared in the dining room for breakfast a moment later. Ian appeared worried, or thoughtful, at least in Nick's opinion. When he heard Ian express his doubtfullness in going ahead as planned Nick patted the guy's back. "come on, Laddie, ye ken ye want tae meke sure ets all real, wha' ye experienced before, an' so do I. Etts excitin'. So...if ye feneshed eatn'..lets go..yer no' alone thess time roound." Nick tried to be encouraging. With an energetical swaying kilt he followed Ian and the rest of the group out of the Inn. They went by foot, hiking several miles. Nick was somewhat glad he was wearing his kilt still, it was comfortable to wear and especially climbs were easier, cause his legs were free to move. His shoes were sturdy and gribbed well on the rockier ground. Being a highlander he was used to the fresh and moist air of the morning. Finally Ian stopped to point out a cave which seemed to be situated somewhere above them under the cliffs.

Nick looked up as Ian started to climb up the cliff side and followed, holding on to edges of rock and small bushy plants to haul himself up to the plateau. Soon he stood on the shelf following Ian's glance towards the ocean. "verra foggy, aye? we git a lo' of tha' in Scotland...it'll git worse.." for a moment Nick had the feeling of dizziness, he felt as if he would faint any moment now, and for a split second the sight before his eyes vanished and he head strange sounds in the air, but then all was as it should be again. He glanced at Ian. "Thess sure is a strange place. I mean tae say..there's unusual energies aroond he'..." he turned his head to glance at the cave. "are we goin' en then?" oh yes he was eager. Was this cave the entrance to this other world Ian had experienced? was it indeed like a stargate... a time-gate... or anything of the sort?
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2005 12:17
Thomas had soon gone to bed after he had admitted his present defeat to himself. There was just not much more he could find out.
Thus he woke up early the next morning. He went straight to the bathroom as he usually did to get ready for the day, then sat down over another volume of Tolkiens works. He was startled out of his thoughts when the phone on the desk in front of him rang. After the wake-up call he put in the rest of the books and papers into his pack that lay around all over the room and then headed downstairs.
The breakfast was delicious, but Ian seemed not able to enjoy it. The young man was tense, and finally his doubts burst out of him. Thomas looked up at the other's worriedly and out of some fatherly instinct reached out patting Ian's shoulder.
Soon after, the group was heading out, all following Ian. They hiked for a few miles, and though Thomas was quite fit for his age, the young man did move along a bit faster then him. Doing what he could to keep up Thomas murmered: "Well these books just are damn heavy! The others don't have to carry such weights!" Looking up again he saw Madlen, who looked at him smiling. "Well, it's true!" Thomas added and went on.
He was already very exhausted, when Ian finally found the cave they had been looking for. The weather had turned wet and cold and when Ian mentioned the possibility of a fire, the thought encouraged Thomas enough to head on to the cave that unfortunately was placed above them. Though the climb didn't prove as easy as Ian had said even Thomas finally reached the mouth of the cave. He was only just in time to hear Nicks last words and after only a short look out on the ocean, he turned and stepped into the cave.
After only a few moments his eyes adjusted to the dim light that shone in from the entrance. In one corner he could see the mentioned wood, all piled up quite neatly. When he turned he could see the others shilouetted black against the light ouside, one after the other stepping in after him.
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2005 08:54
Madlen groaned. She would much rather be shopping in Cardiff or at cheerleading practice. Kristian had gone to rugby training, they had a game the next day, which was why he had been up in the North. Madlen would be going to the game, her cheerleading squad, of which she was co-captain, would be performing there. She knew that Ian had been bent on finding out what was going on, but it was really important, and she figured that the rest of the group wouldn't mind watching the game, they could always go look for clues later in the day.
Looking up at the cliff face, she got easily to the cave. Sitting down on a rock, she rested her chin on a delicate hand. " What now?" She asked as she saw a cloud of mist rolling in from the Sea. " I don't know about the rest of you guys, but that cloud doesn't exactly look good."
She looked out worried at the fog. She then noticed Andy sitting next to her. " What happened to you last night? I would have thought that you of all people would want to spend a night out. You looked a little funny, sort of surprised..." She said, looking at him.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 10, 2005 07:37
When everyone had made it to the floor of the cave, Ian noticed that the Professor looked a bit peaked. Reaching for the pack O'Connor had been carrying, he almost dropped it. Grinning, he looked at O'Connor, shaking his head. "Good Lord, man, what do you have in this.....bricks? No wonder you look like you're about to fall over. Here, sir, sit here on this little shelf and rest. I'll light a fire." Looking out the mouth of the cave, he was wary of the fog and the quickness with which it was rolling in. "I don't like the looks of that any better than you do, Mad," he said, responding to her off-handed comment.

Everyone began settling their packs on the floor of the cave, catching their breath. "Andy, Nick, don't get too comfortable yet. Bring some of that wood over here and lets get a fire started first. The fog is making it bloody chilly. And Mad, check my pack. I had the inn pack lunch for us. You should find some bread, cheese, meat and pickles and a few bottles of ale."

As Ian built the fire, everyone else went about the business of laying out the food and drink and sitting around the fire, which was warming the cave up nicely. O'Connor was digging in his bag, pulling out books and papers, laying them around the floor of the cave as he read pages over and over. Mad was looking bored, Andy had pulled out one of his ubiquitous books and Nick was ... well, being Nick. Ian gazed out over the edge of the ledge and watched the fog. As the cave grew warmer and the food settled his grumbling stomach, Ian began to doze off, his back against the wall of the cave.

*************************************************************************************************************

His eyes opened when a sudden breeze blew the damp foggy air past him, blowing his hair across his face. He reached up and brushed it behind his ear and looked around at his friends. Valandil and Ceindra were chattering to each other like a pair of magpies. Gelmir, the old loremaster was doing what he always did....unrolling parchments and reading the beautiful Elven script. He could just make out the form of Curulindel in the deep shadows of the cave. He had been recovering from his fall the night before and the healer, Silindriel, had recommended some fresh air. He was anxious because he and Val were supposed to have left for Imladris this very morning but there was no way they could have left at that time. He was only now beginning to feel strong enough to try again....perhaps tomorrow morning would be a good time to leave.

His close friends had insisted that what he needed was a good long walk in the sunshine. They had been walking along the coast when the fog began to roll in and chill the air. Cir had used this cave many times before and had led them inside its sheltering walls where they had built a fire with driftwood he had stacked along the back wall, safe from rain and wind. He had unrolled a large piece of cloth where he had been carrying fruit, cheese and wine that he had brought from his mother's kitchen. The group had enjoyed a lovely repast while warming themselves by the fire. Ciryacáno had been quite content and had fallen into a quiet restful state of mind...until the chilly air had awakened him.

"I think I see a break in the fog, my friends." He could see the setting sun shimmering red through the clouds and the fog blowing swiftly into the east. "We should be able to leave for home in a short while. But thank you, my dear friends. I do believe this day has been good for me. I am no longer as anxious as I was this morning. The walk was a good idea." Smiling, he called to Valandil. "Val, I think we can leave on the morrow, as my head no longer aches, although the scar itches terribly," he said, as his nails tried to scratch around the edges without pulling the clotted skin loose.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2005 05:30
Nick had entered the cave last. He had enjoyed the view from the ledge, across the mountains and valleys down to the coast and the sea. It was wonderful. He could feel the chilling breeze on his nose and turned to enter the cave. Ian was already gathering logs of wood to make a fire, and so did the others. The cave wasn't really very warm, but at least it would't rain in here and the warmth of a fire would stay and warm their bodies. He sat down on a jutting out flat rock and looked into the fire, wondering, about Ian's next step. How would he find out, what had happened to him? How would he figure out, if an entry existed and where? What could they do to understand how it could be done? or was it all just a dream??

****************************************************************************************************
Curulindel was staring into the fire. Was it just a dream? No, it wasn't a dream. He hadn't been far from Imladris, his home, for a long time. But he had come to see Ceindra, Ciryácano and Valandil. It was Ceindra he was related to, in through her, he had first met the others. He had been eager to see Mithlond again and walk around its beautiful harbour and look out through the gate to the sea, to where Valinor lay far away in the West. He had spent several days with them, walking along the coast, then Ciryácano had fallen. It had been a nasty unexpected fall and nobody had been near enough to Ciryácano to stop the fall. But Silindriel had taken good care of him. They had all accompanied him for another walk along the coast when he felt better.

Curulindel looked up and noticed Gelmir, the loremaster fiddling with scrolls, it made him smile. Curulindel was very attached to his kin and their ways. Most of his life he had spent in Imladris learning the craft of sword-making and wood-carving, and had become a master of his trade. He had ventured to Mirkwood only once, but his fathers brother lived in Lórien which wasn't all to far from his home. But Curulindel loved the dwellings of Imladris, high up on the glades, and the loud bubbling sound of the Bruinen. He often stood at the bridge to look down into the gush of water.

Curulindel heard Ciryácano's voice. He was telling his friend Valandil that they would leave for home soon. And maybe tomorrow they would go back to his own home: IMLADRIS. He was looking forward to this, even though it had been beautiful to be here again after such a long time. The last time he had travelled here was with his father, who was killed by Orcs in a battled, when Curulindel was still very young. Curulindel lowered his eyes at the painful thought of that. He looked at the others around him to see if they would be leaving for Ciryácano's home now.

Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2005 06:01
MODERN LIFE:

Ronny Tucker finally arrived in Anglesey. He had stayed in a bed and breakfast for the night. Unfortunately he had slept right through the morning having to catch up on sleep that he was lacking due to his unsteady life-style. It was close to noon when he stepped out into a chilly day. Mrs. Schmidt had given him an adress of a man, she thought that the girl would get in touch with. So Ronny decided to head straight there to talk to the man. Luckily the man was in and friendly enough to invide him in for a strong cup of tea and some biscuits. Soon he learned that the man was into spiritual stuff. He had one of those occult shops that sold spiritual books of all kinds, crystals, chimes, goblets, inscense and what not. So there was a connection with the girl who was obviously drawn to such thing. The man soon told him, that the girl that Ronny was to find had been a member of a wiccan circle.

When Ronny left about an hour later, he had been given a map of the island with a spot marked with a red felt tip pen near the coast where some wiccan coven's performed their rituals. That was where Ronny was heading for now. he walked out for the small town and straight into nature. THough he was a guy of good things, house and car, and the likes, he was, unknown to many people who knew him, very close to nature. As a kid he had constantly been wandering about hills and valley trying to find paths made by diffrent animals of humans, by searching for signs of passage. He had been able to make out the smallest piece of broken and bent grass where someone ventured. This being part of his nature he wanted to check around the place of ritual to see if there were any signs, that the girl or anyone at all had been hidden away somewhere in the area. Maybe locked or tied up in a cave. One never knew what those weirdo's would do. Maybe they needed a human sacrifice for some of their gods, or maybe it wasn't a wiccan coven, maybe she had, unknowingly ended up in a satanic circle. Ronny was having the wildest thought when he reached the spot marked on the map. He started to look for signs.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 12, 2005 05:40
((OOC: Before anyone makes any additional posts here, check my message in the OOC first. If anyone has any questions, we can discuss it there. Thank you.))
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2005 02:30
Madlen sat on a rock, looking out towards the mist. Her good mood had dropped quickly, she hated bad weather. She frowned moodily, and rested her chin on her hand. " Uh, Ian...have you thought about what we're going to do if we get stuck here, or can't find our way back. I've been up here before, but I don't exactly pay attention to the scenery, so I won't be able to find our way back! And I don't have a signal on my phone." She looked back into the cave, where Ian was standing. He shrugged, and she turned back round. She closed her eyes for a second.

When she opened them again, the scenery looked the same. But her clothes felt different. She looked down at her sleeve. Her eyes widened at what she saw. Draping her wrist was a pale green wide sleeve. As she lifted her arm to take a closer look, it hung down like a giant curtain. She shook her head, and closed her eyes, hoping that when she opened them, everything would be back to normal. But when she did, nothing had changed. She stood up, and took a closer look at her clothes. She was wearing a floor length pale green dress. Although it wasn't the height figure look good. Her long ash-blonde hair was pulled back into a complicated riding style. She heard people moving behind her, and she turned around. It appeared that her friends had all changed to. She looked at each of them in turn, but she looked at Andy for longer than the rest. He looked good with long hair, which surprised her. She normally hated guys with long her. " What's happened?" She asked, confused. But the language that flowed from her lips was not English. It was something else, but to her surprise, she understood every word.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2005 03:48
Only when Madlen cried out suddenly, wondering what had happend, Nick was hit with the realisation that he was wearing a long dark-green leather vest without sleeves and...He got up and looked down on him. A pale green tunica underneath it with long sleeves, and dark leggins, feet stuck in soft leather-shoes that reminded him awfully of Ballerina-footwear. There was a brown leather belt around his waste with a leather pouch attacked to it, and a cross-chest leatherstrap with something heavy attached to it on his back. His hands reached backwards feeling a quiver and something long, that he instantly remembered to be his elven swords. Elven swords!!! His eyes noticed a bow leaning against the wall of the cave. His bow. He even made it himself. He remembed. Rememberd? Remembered what?

He glanced at Ian. His eyes were silently telling him, he now believed every word he had told him before, even though he still couldn't understand what was happening here. But he knew exactly why he had come to Mithlond. Lord Elrond had sent him to see the Elders there, to sent off a representative for the council in Imladris. He remembered now, that the matter was urgent. He glanced back at Ian, but then shifted them back to Madlen. "Ceindra, you are...looking...very beautiful.." he said without a trace of scottish, but in another tongue than his Teleri friend. Curulindel's language was that of Sindarin. He wasn't fluent at Quenya, but had learned enough to understand those who still spoke it. It his him now, he had called Madlen, Ceindra...was he mad? His name was Curulindel...not Nick..or was it? It was.."Curulindel..." he said audibly to himself. "Ciryácano...pennich pîth dîr, mellon nín " he simply said.

Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2005 04:16
Ronny checked the blades of grass. Oh yes they were very bent indeed. "oh yessss.." he said speaking aloud to himself. "this was not just one young girl but a few people walking right up the slope to..." he followed the path of signs and climbed some rock until he finally reached a shelf. "woah! a cave! of course!" That must be the hiding place, or he'd be damned. What Ronny didn't know at the moment was, that the signs of passage he had studied were those of a totally diffrent group, of which at least one of them was very familiar to him. Ronny grinned to himself over his own expertise and walked up to the cave looking into it. It seemed dark, but there, deeper inside was a small flickering light. Like the light of a fire. "Gotcha.." was probably the last thing that Ronny said in english when he entered the cave and suddenly stumbled over something that appeared to be some kind of travellers pack.

((Ronny Tucker))
http://www.tuggerine-cats.de/images/Ronny-leather.jpg

****************************************************************************************************

Erkenwine was able to stop his fall by waving his arms about in the air. In the dimness, that his eyes tried to adjust themselves to, he noticed a few figures sitting around a fire. As far as he could make out at this very moments, this group was most definitely some weird sect. He could tell by the long hair and odd clothing that started to become clearer and clearer before his eyes. He realized that he might have just walked into a trap, into his downfall maybe, as they might attack him instantly once they realized he was a stranger after the missing girl they kept prisoner. At least that was what Ronny was thinking. His hand swiftly reached for the hilt of his sword and drew it holding it up in front of him ready to pare. Ronny suddenly became aware of what he was holding. The shiny blade reflected the fire making it blink. "Thats a swooord...!" he called out in shock. Where the heck was his gun? he never brought any of his hobby-weapons along on a job and most definitely not attached to his belt ready for use.

Erkenwine stared at the sword and then at the people around the fire. Their faces were fair and gracefull. "I'll be dammmmed.." he said shaking his head and feeling his long hair tickling his neck. Tickling his..? His hair was short, last time he checked in the mirror and that was just an hour ago. He still stood there with spread legs and the sword held with both hands in front of him against the possible danger. When he realized nothing happened, he lowered it and suddenly stared into Nick's face, who had gotten up from his seat. "Curulindel!!" Erkenwine exclaimed. No no no, what was he saying? the man's name was.. erm...was...it was.."Curulindel? what the ...!" Erkenwine's thoughts muddled. He felt rather confused. He knew his name was Erkenwine. He knew his name was Ronny Tucker. He knew that was Nick! no, Curulindel...and he looked...like an ELF! "My good elves, excuse my sudden entry.." he heard himself say in an odd posh sounding voice. what flowery words were those? He was in Wales and he was a private investigator. The hand not holding on to the lowered sword felt the velvety material that covered his chest. He looked at what he was wearing. Yes, sure, he was a Ranger and he had come to see...Curulindel to...warn them....of... "Orcs...!" he squeezed out in shock.

((Erkenwine)
http://www.tuggerine-cats.de/images/Ronny-Ranger.jpg
http://www.tuggerine-cats.de/images/Ronny-Erkenwine.jpg
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2005 11:33
Thomas was relieved when he could hand his pack on to Ian and find a spot to sit. That the floor wasn't exactly comfortable did not matter much. After a few minutes of simply resting, Thomas reached for his pack, spreading papers and books on the floor around him. Again he reached into the pack, pulling out his glasses and putting them on. Reading through the same pages again and again he sighed. Slowly he doubted if he could extract any more valid information from his books, but he would not give up yet. Reaching underneath his glasses he rubbed his tired eyes in frustration.

~~~~~~~~~

Pulling his hand back he ignored the glasses that he wore, and trying to stop them from shattering on the rocky floor Thomas tried to catch them. Only that there were no glasses, he realised in mid novement. Staring at his arms that were still reaching out for nothing his jaw dropped. His sleeves were hanging down wide and were of the finest brocade he had ever seen. On the cuffs there could be seen a wonderful velvet, matching the dark blue of the brocade perfectly, being only the slightest nuance lighter. A wide, richly embroided velvet belt was wrapped around his waist. Slowly he lowered his arms and looked back at his books. No scrolls. And then Gelmir remembered what he had been looking for, continuing his search. For a split second he hesitated. The scrolls with the Elven script before him he would surely not be able to read. Then shaking his head a laugh left his mouth and he was only half surprised about it's rolling, melodic sound. Surely he could read the parchments! Why else would he join Ciryácano, Curulindel and the others on their way to Imladris? To read the scrolls in the renowned library of the valley refuge! Again he shook his head and continued reading.
After a short while Ciryácano remarked on the receeding fog, and indeed when he looked up he could see much further already then an houre ago. Gelmir was just about to roll up his scrolls again when a ranger entered the cave. The man needed a short moment to adjust to the semi darkness in the cave and lowered his sword only when he saw Curulindel. Obviously the two knew each other. Then the man uttered a word that made Gelmir's blood freeze in his veins: Orcs!
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 17, 2005 07:11
"Curulindel! " The word startled Cir, who turned immediately to see that a ranger had entered the cave. Although none of the group was armed, Ciryacáno was not concerned with the newcomer's presence, even though he held a sword unsheathed in his hands. A ranger would bring them no harm but he was puzzled nonetheless. He walked between the ranger and Madlen, taking a rather doubtful protective position, given that he was without his weapons. The ranger was doing nothing hostile...in fact, he seemed to be completely lost. Cir continued speaking quietly while trying to determine who and why the ranger was there.

"Good day, sir. Welcome, though we were just about to leave. Now that the fog has cleared, we are planning to leave for my home. I have been called by Lord Elrond to a council that is being held in Imladris. Valandil," he swept his hand in Val's direction, "and I were meant to leave this morning but as you can see, I was injured last night in a fall and was unable to do so. We have been walking to allow my head time to heal. Did my mother send you here?"

He began to assist Gelmir in rolling the parchments while signalling to Val and Curulindel, who had yet to respond to his name being called out by this ranger, to put out the fire. The ranger had lowered his sword and was standing staring around at the group in complete bewilderment. Suddenly he blurted out, "Orcs!"

Ciryacáno glanced up at him, now completely curious about this man. "Orcs? Here, in the Grey Havens?" Cir asked in a dubious tone of voice. "Surely, you can not be serious. And forgive me, but may I ask how you happened upon us." He turned his gaze towards Curulindel, waiting for his response to the ranger. He wondered if the rest of his friends were thinking what he was....had this ranger lost his mind? He looked strong and well fed. He had no visible signs of injuries. His voice was clear, at least the two words he had spoken were, though one word had nothing to do with the other. Cir shook his head and looked back and forth between the ranger and Curulindel, wondering what would happen next.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2005 07:07
Erkenwine glanced at Ciryácano when the elf adressed him and came up closer to him. Had he just said 'Orcs'? yes he had, and slowly his Ranger-mind took over again and things became very clear again. Curulindel reached out in an attempt to calm Erkenwine, who seemed to be totally beside himself. He had never seen Erkenwine that lost and muddled. He wondered, what had happened to him. It couldn't be the sighting of Orcs or anything, Erkenwine was a courageous and fearless fighter. "Erkenwine..." Curulindel said just when Ciryácano adressed his friend. Erkenwine turned to Curulindel than back to Ciryácano to answer his question. "Yes, yes indeed," he nodded his head. "...I had known, that my friend Curulindel was sent to Mithlond to convey you a message of Lord Elrond, I came part the way with him." he shortly glanced back at Curulindel. "then our path parted. I went off to look for a hobbit in Bree. there are stories...bad stories. I wanted to know more."

Erkenwine sheathed his sword now totally contained and his old self-confident self again. With expressive hands and mimics he carried on his account of what had happened on his way. "I wanted to find Curulindel after I talked to that hobbit, cause on the way I found signs of Orcs, you can believe me that, the stench is smelled a mile off. I came here to warn you all that there are several groups distrbuted between Mithlond and Imladris." He stopped speaking looking around at the others. Curulindel knew he could trust his friend who had the eyes of a hawk, but he was very surprised to hear of Orcs so far west. "Orcs? what is going on? why have these creatures come so far west of Hithaeglir? I heard there were many causing trouble in Mirkwood, but Mithlond? the shire? and...Rohan?" His eyes looked thoughtfull and he turned to Ciryácano. "it is good we hear of this before we leave." Erkenwine raised both brows. "I was surprised myself, my friends, because of that, I had to let you know. I knew you would be on your way to Imladris. There is worse coming though..." he added quietly watching the elves. "I saw a large shadow flying over the Forest if Fangorn....I believe it is a Nazgul."
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2005 09:25
Andy had sprawled out his long limbs as they came to a pause. He was glad for the rest, although he wouldn't have admitted it. He briefly considered teasing Madlen, who looked altogether far too prim as she sat on a rock, her nose wrinkled slightly. The young man chuckled to himself and leaned his head back against the cave wall, closing his eyes briefly.

He listened to the sounds of the others quietly talking and the sparks of the fire when the sounds seemed to subtlely change. He frowned and opened his eyes again.

Val blinked sleepily and was glad as Cir suggested a break. He didn't like fogs; they made him feel lethargic. The cave they found themselves in was dry and didn't have any animals in it at present. Val was beginning to help set up a fire and such when a ranger broke in upon them.

Val watched with vague amusement as Cir and Curulindel spoke to the man, but the amusement dissapeared with the mention of the Nazgul. How was that possible?
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 19, 2005 06:06
Hearing Curulindel call the ranger by name, Ciryacáno turned to him. "Erkenwine, is it? Allow me to introduce you to my friends. You obviously know Curulindel well but this is Valandil, who will be accompanying me to Imladris." Waving his hand toward the old loremaster, he gave his name to the ranger. "This is Gelmir, who will also be traveling with us as he desires to explore Lord Elrond's library. And this is Ceindra, my childhood friend, who I believe wants to come with us as she has never been to Imladris, though I am doubtful that she would enjoy the hazards and discomforts of such a journey." He smiled at the elf-maiden who appeared to be insulted by his comment.

"But....Nazgul, you say. Where was the sighting of this? Over Fangorn? Fortunately, we need not travel near the old Forest but that is yet not good news." With his hand on Val's shoulder, his expression troubled, he asserted, "Val, I believe we must leave at once. We cannot wait until the morrow. I know not why Elrond has called this council but I would guess that he too has heard of this sighting and knows it's meaning. The parchment he sent the Eldars here stated that the council would include many races of this land. This does not bode well. Yes, we must head for home and gather our belongings at once."

Gazing out over the sea, he felt a foreboding wind blow across his face. The fog had rolled inland and the ocean was sparkling under the now cloud free sky. His world appeared as it always had, beautiful beyond belief, but he was now concerned as to how long it would remain that way. Orcs running freely over the land? Nazgul sighted near the old Forest? What omens were these creatures? And how would they affect their safe passage to Rivendell?

"Gelmir, you did say you were ready, did you not? That your horse and pack were ready to travel with Val and me? I do hope this is not a burden to you but we must go now. Curulindel, you of course will be returning with us as well, I know, but you, Erkenwine," he turned toward the ranger, "will you also be traveling with us? I do wish this to be so, as I feel we will need your service at our side if we are to make it to Imladris alive and well."

Ciryacáno assisted Gelmir in tying his parchments into a cloth and lifting it for Gelmir to tie to his back. He held out his hand to Ceindra, pulling her to her feet, then assuring himself that the fire was out and all signs of their repast had been disposed of, he strode to the entrance of the cave, where a set of stairs had been cut into the side of the cliff to the top of the hill. Turning and looking back into the cave, he exhaled sharply. "My friends, it is time." With that, he began to climb to the top of the cliff and to head for home.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2005 12:37
Erkenwine brought his right hand over his heart in an elven greeting, to which he was very accustomed in the time he had stayed, on and off, in Imladris. He thus bowed his head to everyone that was introduced to him. He spared an exceptional smile for Ceindra, the only elven Lady present. Erkenwine nodded when Ciryácano was surprised to hear about the Nazgul. "Nazgul indeed. Near Fangorn, it was only one and soon vanished again, towards the southeast. But still it worries me, to see them appear so close to home." his chosen home for the time was Imladris, but his family lived in North Ithilien and he hadn't been there for a while, he wasn't sure if the Nazgul had come from there. But anyway, it all seemed much too close.

Curulindel walked over to Erkenwine to greet him, but as was Erkenwines human custom he embraced Curulindel heartily, though the elf seemed slightly uncomfortable. "Its good to see you Erkenwine, I am glad you found me, but I always you your a good pathfinder." Ciryácano urged them on to leave. Indeed, these news were not of a favorable nature. Curulindel picked up his leather bag and strapped all his belongings to his back. Erkenwine turned to Ciryácano when he asked him a question. "I will, Hír nín accompany you, if you do not mind." he came a little closer to him. "I must tell you, that I have seen something amongst the Orcs, close to Orthanc, that looked much fiercer and larger than what we've known before. I saw just one in a large hord of Orcs. I cannot say, why there are so many...Orcs, I mean." Curulindel heard him. "The rumours that Lord Elrond has heard must be true then, Ciryácano, the ring might have been found. Do you think Sauron will rise again?" It was not really a question, but more of a thought that needed no answer.

When Ciryácano walked out of the cave Curulindel and Erkenwine followed, whereas Erkenwine tried to help the elven lady, who followed Ciryácano up the cliff.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 25, 2005 08:36
As Ciryacáno led the group from the cave and began to climb to the top of the cliff, he overheard Erkenwine's last statements to Curulindel, causing him to stop and look back at the ranger. "The ring? Mean you the one ring, Erkenwine?" He was stunned. That would certainly explain the reason for Lord Elrond to call a council of the races of Middle Earth. The earlier feeling of foreboding washed over him again and he shook his head, trying to clear the sensations from his head. "All the more reason for us to make haste, my friends." His long legs quickly climbed to the top of the cliff and carried him toward home. He waited for no one but hurried as though he had forgotten them entirely.

When he reached the lovely stone house at the upper reaches of the harbour, he strode into the back entry and into his room. His head was aching slightly and he called to his mother to pack some healing herbs for him while he gathered his belongings together in readiness. By the time the rest of the group had reached his home, he was already in the stable, attaching his pack to the back of his elvin saddle. His sword, Urúvetirno , was already sheathed under the blanket covering the steed's back and he was leading him out of the stall.

"Who of you will come with me, my friends? Val, I know you will, as you have always been at my side and my closest friend. And Curulindel and Erkenwine, you have already spoken that you will be returning to Imladris. Gelmir? You wished to visit the libraries of Elrond. Do you still wish this? And Ceindra...can you still want to make this journey, knowing what we all have heard? It could be dangerous." The moment he said those words, he feared he would have enticed the fair maiden rather than frightened her. She had always been one who wished for excitement and the threat of danger would only encourage her. He sighed, hoping she would refuse to come, yet knowing in his heart, she would not.

He continued making his preparations as he awaited there answers.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2005 07:49
(OOC: I'm sorry granny about not posting sooner. please forgive me. :cry: I will be continuing tho. I'm determined to see this through. :angel: )

"Of course I'll come with you, Cir." Val smiled. "After all, I was originally your companion to begin with." The blonde elf shot Ciendra a piercing look. He feared the same thing that Cir did; that the maid would insist on coming along.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: April 01, 2005 12:49
((OOC: Just to keep us on the first page. LOL))

As he had packed most of what he felt he needed for the journey before he had fallen and suffered his injury, he had little left to prepare for. His horse was ready, he was ready...and anxious to begin his travels. Turning to his companions once again, he said once again, "My friends, we cannot linger. Val, I know you are ready to leave and," glancing at Curulindel and Erkenwine, "I imagine you two have not even had time to unpack so you too should be ready to leave as well. Gelmir, Ceindra, I know you wished to accompany us but we cannot wait any longer. I will leave now with Curulindel and Erkenwine. If you can prepare quickly, you can catch up with us before we reach the Shire. We will be traveling the East-West Road. Perhaps Val could wait for you and travel with you if you still desire to come with us. But you must tell us now if this is your wish. Val, if they answer yes, will you wait and travel with them?" He looked closely at his friend, searching his eyes for his thoughts. He knew that Val would not wish for Ceindra to travel alone and unprotected, should she decide to catch up with them. But he also knew Val wanted only to ride at his side. He waited briefly for his friends to decide, his agitation at this delay obvious to all.
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2005 03:28
Ceindra smiled. " Of course I'm going to come with you! Do you really think that I would stay home when there are much more interesting things somewhere else?" Her eyes flitted across Curulindel, and Gelmir. Her gaze rested a little longer on Erkenwine, and on Val. " Besides, I can't leave all of you Ellyn to have all the fun can I? You're going to need someone to keep you in line." She flashed a smile to Erkenwine, and then went to the door.

" It's alright, Val doesn't have to wait for us. I can catch up on my own, it isn't like i haven't traveled before." Although Ceindra hadn't had any training in fighting, she knew that she could do it. She had a knack for doing the right thing when it came down to dangerous situations. She had a good friend who was an immense fighter, the Captain of Mirkwood's army. She had watched her closely, and knew enough to be able to protect herself. Besides, she wasn't about to let some filthy creature touch her, she would get germs or something. Nodding to Val, she turned back around. " I don't need some Ellyn to look after me..." She called over her shoulder.

As soon as she got back to her own home, a large house on shoreline, overlooking the bay, she went to her room. She was one of the nobility of the Grey Havens, and so had the best gear and clothing. She chose a riding dress that her father had had made for her. It was dark blue and grey, and matched her black boots perfectly. Looking through her cloaks, she picked a dark grey one, which set off the grey in her eyes. She might be travelling, but that didn't mean she couldn't look good. Braiding her black hair into a riding style quickly, she ran towards the Stables, and mounted her white horse, bred from a line of high-blooded horses. She stroked his neck, and nudged him into a canter towards Ciryacano's house. Although she had told them that she didn't need someone to protect her, she doubted that Ciryacano and Val would have let her travel alone. They were both strangely protective of her, and it wasn't like she was complaining. It was nice to have two handsome males hanging around her.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: April 04, 2005 08:37
" Of course I'm going to come with you!" Ciryacáno shook his head and rolled his eyes as Ceindra assertively insisted that she would travel with them. He watched her as she ran for home to gather her belongings together for the journey. Turning to the two elves and the ranger, he suggested, "Let us be certain we have packed all we shall need and then we may as well take some moments to eat something before we set out. If I know Ceindra, it will be at least an hour before she returns as she will need to take time to decide exactly what a young elven maiden should wear on such a journey." He looked at Val and they both grinned at each other, recognizing that this was typical behavior for their young friend.
Gelmir had long since wandered off to his home, rolls of parchments tucked under his arms, quills poking out of his braided hair, totally distracted by his own thoughts. Cir wondered if the old loremaster had even heard the urgency in his voice as he said they must leave soon. He sighed and looked up at the sky, noting that the sun had reached midday already. At the speed they were going, the council would be over by the time they ever reached Imladris.
When he was sure all that he would need was tied to the back of his saddle, he opened the stall and led his horse to the front of his home, where the others had already gathered with their mounts. They tied the horses and entered Cir's house, where his mother had laid out a simple meal for the four of them. Sitting around the table, they tucked in to it, Cir all the while thinking how he would miss his mother's food, his home and his peaceful life. Still, if he must travel so far from here, he felt relieved that he would be traveling with friends. Now all they had to wait for was Ceindra, who he was certain would take her time, knowing that neither he nor Val would leave her to travel alone on the open road.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email