Register

<< First56789Last >>
Author Topic:
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: KEEP: Time Warp in Wales
on: August 29, 2005 06:18
Val had recieved a bath and then changed into the garments he had brought. He walked out of his rooms, hair still a bit damp, and was told by a passing maiden where his friends where. He thanked her with a charming smile and then made way to the hall.

He quickly spotted Cir and walked towards his friend, the grinned widely as he saw Thad. He knelt so he could see the boy eye to eye. "Well, you look very fine." Val said approvingly. Standing, he looked at Cir.

"Where is are the others? I am ready to eat everything on this table by myself." Val laughed.

In the library, a slender elven woman was carrying a load of books to a table. She set them down and then sighed, dusting her hands off.

She was a pretty elf woman, with hair so fair it was nearly white and sparkling green eyes. She was very tall; at least as tall as most of the male elves in Rivendell.

"Talindra?"

The woman turned. "Yes, Celebwen, what is it?"

The other elf smiled. "You are wanted in the hall; some guests arrived earlier and I believe Lord Elrond wished you to meet one of them. A scholar by the name of Gelmir, I believe."

"Right now?" Talindra looked askance at her forest green dress and then tugged her blonde braid nervously. Celebwen laughed merrily.

"You should go down. No one will notice if you are a bit dusty or that your braid is a bit mussed." she teased. "Besides, I hear this Gelmir is as lost among his scrolls as you are. Now go, shoo!"

The younger elf shooed Talindra out of the library and then shook her head.

Talindra peeked around the edge of the wall and timidly entered the hall with the other elves. She tended to spend time alone a good deal of the time and was shy around company. Looking about, she wondered who the new strangers were.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: September 01, 2005 08:06
Thad trotted along behind Cir on their way to the Great Hall. He was feeling .. not uncomfortable but certainly strange. The elven clothing he had on was soft, silks and velvets that touched his skin softly. His hair, when he reached up to touch it, was full of curls and did not feel matted and course anymore. And, he thought, smiling to himself, he had never been so clean. He looked up at Cir, who was dressed in a deep blue tunic which was trimmed in silver and covered his leggings almost to his knees where it met the tops of his leather boots, and laughed with pure joy. "Sir Cir, do you think anyone will be surprised to see me? Will they think I'm an elf?" He was grinning from ear to ear.

Cir patted him on the head, chuckling. "Well, they may not recognize you at all, but an elf? Your ears are too round and your hair is too short, lad, to be mistaken for an elf." Cir had seen some of their group at a table near arched windows that overlooked the gardens and led Thad in that direction. When they reached the table, Val was the first to greet the young stable boy.

"Well, you look very fine." Val said approvingly.

Thad preened a bit and then blurted out, "Sir Cir is going to teach me to read. How's that for something special?" His eyes glowed with happiness.

Val stood and asked Cir where everyone else was. Cir shrugged his shoulders. "I would imagine Curulindel has gone to see friends and family and has probably taken Erkenwine with him. As for Gelmir, I thought I saw him heading for the library but I might be wrong." Cir's eyes suddenly widened and a smile caught the corners of his mouth. "And here is Ceindra now. Now I wonder who the ellon is that she has in tow." He glanced at Val out of the corner of his eye to see what his reaction was going to be.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2005 11:45
Val turned and looked, then blinked. His face darkened a bit and he looked away. "I suppose it would be like her to find good company quickly." he stated, a bit stiffly. Looking at Thad, the elf smiled.

"Come Thad; we should go start eating. And you can tell me what else Cir has promised to teach you besides reading. Archery perhaps?"
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2005 02:52
Ceindra stopped beside Cir. She nodded to him in greeting. "Cir, this is Cirlon. Cirlon, this is Ciryacano, one of my closest friends." She smiled. Running a hand through her blond hair, her gaze settled on Val. He seemed a little uncomfortable. She left Cirlon talking to Cir and went to him. "What do you think of Rivendell so far?" She asked him in an attempt to strike up a conversation.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 06, 2005 11:13
When Ceindra arrived with a tall and very handsome male elf, Cir wondered how Val would react. One look at Val's face told Cir all he wanted to know, as he chuckled inwardly. "Are you doing this intentionally, my little Ceindra, to get Val's goat or is it just you...being you?" he asked himself. "Because it's working, you mischievous imp." Val turned away from Ceindra and smiled his charming smile at Thad.

"Come Thad; we should go start eating. And you can tell me what else Cir has promised to teach you besides reading. Archery perhaps?" Ceindra had left the side of Cirlon and walked over to Val's side, asking, "What do you think of Rivendell so far?"

Before he could answer, Thad grabbed Val's arm and dragged him to the table, where they sat side by side, filling their plates. Thad's first question was, "Archery? Could I? Learn archery, I mean?" He looked around at the many elves and took note of their bows, which were stacked against the walls around the Hall. His high excited voice dropped as he asked, "Are there bows small enough for such as me? All of these bows," he said, waving his hand around the room, "are bigger than me. Well, they must have smaller bows. How else would they teach the young elves?"

When Cirlon had spoken for a while with Cir, he excused himself and went to join some other elves. Cir joined Val and Thad at the table, sitting on the other side of Thad. "Sir Cir! Guess what? Val wants to know if you're going to teach me to shoot arrows after my reading lessons?" Cir glanced a Val over the top of Thad's head, his eyebrow rose and the corner of his lips fought to keep from curling into a grin.

"I think I will let Val teach you, my boy. He is by far the greater archer of the two of us." His mouth lost the battle and he burst into laughter at the expression on Val's face.

All three looked up as they noticed Gelmir standing in the doorway of the Hall, quills poking out from his braids, his tunic slightly stained with ink, a distracted look on his face as usual as he looked for them. Cir waved his hand and called out, "Gelmir! Over here."

(OOC: ~Len....I pray you don't mind my taking over Gelmir. We need him so much and we have no idea when or if you are coming back. Feel free to scold me royally if I've made you angry with this usurption of a char.)

Gelmir had been only too glad to see the buildings of Imladris in front of him. He was unused to riding long distances, being more likely to be found in his library at home surrounded by his various books and parchments, being a scholar, a historian and a loremaster. When they arrived at the great hall, an ellon had taken their group upstairs and opened doors to various rooms. He found himself sharing a room with Val, which pleased him well. Val was always good company when one wanted good company and quiet when one didn't. Gelmir went to one of the beds and dumped his bag on it, half a dozen parchments falling out, onto the covers and the floor. Picking them up, he turned to Val, saying, "What I want most is to rid myself of the dust and dirt of our travels. Then I want some well prepared food....I am so very tired of dried nuts and meats." He stood for a moment, lost in thought. "I want to go to the library as well. I wish to begin my research as soon as possible." Without waiting for a response from Val, he immediately unpacked his bag and pulled out a fresh robe and leggings, laying them out on the bed. Grabbing a cloth from the rail near a fountain similar to the one in Cir's room, he began to strip his dusty clothing from his body, washing himself with the fresh cloth as he did so. When he had cleaned and dried himself, he slipped into his clean clothes, brushing the wrinkles from his robe, only slightly noticing the small ink stain on it, and tied a band around his waist. He clipped a pouch to this band and filled it with quills and ink. The larger quills did not fit and these he slid into the braids of his hair. Taking a deep breath, he turned to tell Val he was finally ready, only to find himself alone in the room.....Val had left without a word, or at least one that Gelmir had heard.

He hurried down the stairs and stood by the doorway, searching for his friends. He heard Cir's voice calling out to him. He located the table where Cir, Val and Thad were already seated with Ceindra standing near by and quickly moved towards them....colliding with an elf maiden. She was tall, almost as tall as he was, slender, fair haired and with eyes that almost matched her green gown, which had patches of dust on it. His arms caught hers and he stared into those green eyes for a long moment before he began to apologize profusely. "My lady, forgive me, I wasn't watching where I was going. Are you hurt? Are you alright?"
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2005 09:08
Val frowned at Cir as the other elf began to laugh. It really wasn't amusing in the least. Ciendra was prancing about with that...Val scowled harder and turned away to talk to the boy. Apparently the human child was the only sensible person to talk too at the moment.

"I would be happy to teach you archery, Thad." he said, his face becoming lighter. Val loved archery with something of a passion, which explained in part his talent in the area. The idea of having a student greatly appealed to him.

"Y-yes." Talindra stuttered, feeling her cheeks flush deeply. How embarrassing!! She stepped away from the elf and quickly brushed her gown, self concious all over again. "I am sorry, sir. I did not watch where I was going..."

She cocked her head to the side; there were quills in the elf's hair. It was a technique that Talindra had once used herself, until she began to accidently place inked quills in her long braid and went about with black splotches in her hair for weeks afterward.

"Uh....excuse me." she said hurriedly, after realizing she was staring and promptly walked away, unknowingly exiting the room. A moment later, she walked back in, face redder than ever.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 08, 2005 08:07
Thad did not know why Cir was laughing but he was well pleased when Val said, "I would be happy to teach you archery, Thad." The boy's face shone and his smile split his face in half. "Can we start after dinner? I'm almost done eating. So are you. We can go right away, can't we?" Thad was already jumping up to leave the Great Hall when Cir grabbed his shoulder and forced him to sit once again.

"Lad, we have only barely arrived after a long journey. We have need of time to rest and speak with friends and acquaintences. In fact, coming now is one with whom I must meet," he said as he nodded his head in the direction of the entrance. "Come with me now and meet the Lord Elrond and then head for the stable and be sure that our horses are all being cared for." At the mention of Elrond's name, Thad turned pale and he sunk further on the seat until he heard the end of Cir's sentence. The stables? Oh yes, he could do that....and was already wondering whether the elves had taken care of his little pony when there were such royal steeds to care for first. So concerned was he with Jordy's welfare, he hardly realized he was crossing the room until Cir's voice once again entered his conscious mind.

"And this young fellow is named Thad, my Lord. He is the most honored of our party as he has had the full responsibility of being certain our horses were well cared for. Thad, I'd like to introduce you to Lord Elrond." Thad looked up...and up..at the tall, dark haired, grey eyed elf lord, whose face was fair and handsome and in whose eyes, the wisdom of the ages gleamed.

"Welcome to Imladris, master Thad," the soft spoken elf greeted the young stable boy. Thad stood silent, his mouth hanging open, his eyes staring in wonder and awe. Cir tapped his shoulder gently, reminding him of his manners. "Th..tha...thank you, m'lord. It sure is a pretty place," was all he could think of to say. Elrond smiled and Cir requested that Thad be excused as he had business to attend to. "Business to attend to?," thought Thad. "It makes me sound so important." This boost to his esteem lifted his jaw and straightened his back and he looked straight into the eyes of Elrond. "Yes sir, I must see to our horses. 'Twas nice to meet you but I must be off." With that, he reached out and grabbed Elrond's hand, and shook it violently (raising Elrond's eyebrows as his mouth fought not to laugh), then took off at a run towards the stable.

"Ciryacáno, you are still rescuing strays, much as you did in your childhood, I see." Elrond finally smiled and put his hand on Cir's shoulder, leading him to a window bench, where they both sat together. "You have arrived, though I fear the days you lost for travel while you healed have caused you to only just miss the leave taking of the Fellowship. Let me fill you in on what has transpired." Elrond explained the past few months, the formation of the Fellowship and the destination of the one ring. "It may seem a doubtful journey but it is the only answer to the rising of the evil shadow now spreading from Mordor."

"I would say my journey then has been in vain but for one thing. Gelmir has some thought that the two Istari who went into the far east may play a part in the outcome as well. He would like the liberty to spend time in your library as he feels part of the answer may be there. With your permission, he would like to begin at once. And knowing Gelmir when he is on the trail of some search, probably tonight." Cir laughed with Elrond as they both knew how the loremaster's mind worked.

No sooner had he mentioned Gelmir's name when they both looked up to see the old elf weaving his way through the Hall to their side. "Gelmir, I was just telling Lord Elrond of your mystery." Elrond stood and grasped arms with Gelmir, saying that his library was certainly open to him anytime he wanted. Then Elrond's eyes lit up.

"In fact, mellon, there is the very person I would like you to meet, coming this way. Talindra! Come. I would have you meet one who is even older and wiser than you when it comes to the lore of Middle Earth." Reaching out to take her arm, he brought her to the front of Gelmir. "Gelmir, I am pleased to have you meet Talindra, my most ardent scholar. Talindra, a dear friend of my youth, Gelmir." Both Cir and Elrond wondered briefly at the reddening of Talindra's and Gelmir's faces as they bowed their heads to each other in greeting.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2005 04:52
Val chuckled as Thad left the room. Elrond took Cir aside to speak to him and Val was left alone for a moment. He glanced over to where Ciendra was and noted with surprise that the elvin maid was alone for the moment. After a slight hesitation, Val approached her.

"It seems you are enjoying yourself." he stated, forcing his tone to be light.

Talindra raised her head out of the bow, feeling her cheeks flush. So she had made an idiot of herself again and in front of Lord Elrond's company too! Oh how she wished to run back to the library to stay among her books and scrolls.

"I am pleased to meet you, Sir." she said to Gelmir. Her voice was rather timid and inwardly she winced. Forcing herself to raise her chin and look at least a little dignified, she looked at Cir and nodded her head again.

"I think I remember you as well. Ciryacano, was it not?" she asked, then allowed a friendly smile creep across her face.
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2005 09:17
Ceindra was glad to see Val approaching her. She'd had the feeling that he was avoiding her, but she must have been imagining it. "Yes, it's lovely here." she replied, although she didn't sound very convining.
The girl missed Mithlond: the salty smell on the breeze; the sound of crashing waves at night;the cries of the gulls...she missed them all. She sighed as she thought of her beautiful home. "Would you join me for a walk?" She asked Val, her voice rather quiet. "I feel stifled inside all the time.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2005 02:23
((sorry to have been away so long, but my Mum has died a little sudden and it took me some time to cope with it..

Curulindel had looked down onto Thad, the boy and nodded with a rare smile on his face. "but of course I can show you how to forge your own sword, we will make one together, just for you to weald." the conversation slowed down somewhat when they reached the realms of Imladris. The loud splashing noise of the river Bruinen echoed all around the glades and mountains. Curulindel's eyes lit up. This was home, a most beautiful home, nicely hidden up on the glades and partially forest. Erkenwine gave Thad a wink when they all along with Ciryacáno rode down the mountain pass towards the bridge across the Bruinen in the valley. "Is it not a most amazing sight, mellon nín?" Curulindel asked Erkenwine as they crossed the bridge looking at the strength and force of the cascading water of the Bruinen coming down from the top of the mountain. "indeed, I can not deny it, dear friend." Erkenwine agreed as they started to ride up a small narrow path towards the gate to the Imladris dwellings.

As they entered through the gates many elves had already come to meet them, Curulindel, who's home it was, was greated warmly by many of the elves and even Erkenwine, that most of them knew as a frequent visitor received his fair share of welcome. Their horses were taken care of in the Imladris stables fed and given water, while Erkenwine followed their party into Elrond's house where he was shown a room to store their belongings. Curulindel had drifted off to a house adjacent to Elronds. This was his own house that belonged to him and his mother Gîlwen. As he entered their house his mother was seated at the table smiling at him. "Mae Govannen ion nín." Curulindel smiled and bowed to her. "glassen gen achened, naneth nín." he responded then as he stored his belongings in his room, walking to and fro he had a little quiet conversation with his mother. A few minutes later he left again to join the party in Lord Elrond's house.

Erkenwine had already left his room to wander Elrond's house and garden. At present he was strolling around in the garden. This was where Curulindel found him. "Mellon nín, should we not be inside meeting with the others? I felt that Circyacáno and Gelmir had urgent business with Lord Elrond and if I remember correctly, his library? come along now, Erkenwine and let us meet the others to find out, if there is something we can do." "oh, indeed so, my elven friend, I was merely waiting for you, after I have stored my things safely in my room. The others are all over the place. I have indeed seen Gelmir walk towards the library. I do not know where the others are, but if there is going to be a little feast...I would most definitely want to attend..." he rubbed his tummy. "I am...a little starved..I feel, and wouldn't mind something else than..Lembas.." Curulindel chuckled when he saw the face his friend pulled. Together they re-entered Elrond's house and walked through the corridors until they found the room, where Cirycacáno, Thad, Val, Ceindra and some other Imladris Elves were talking to Lord Elrond. "mae govannen Elrond hîr nín " Curulindel bowed his head to him with his hand crossing his heart. " Glassen le achened! "
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 17, 2005 10:01
Just as Thad was running off to the stables, he noticed Curulindel and Erkenwine were just entering the Great Hall. He waved cheerfully at them both but did not stop as he was concerned about his pony. Entering the stable at full speed, he ran right into a tall elf, who had an armload of bridles and reins in his hand. Almost knocking the elf over and having the gear raining down on his head, Thad tried to apologize. "Sorry, sir, didn't mean to knock you over. But I need to see Jordy. How is he? Has he been fed and watered? Is he happy here? Does he have enough hay? Where is he?" The elf had begun to pick up the gear he had dropped on impact with the young stable boy, all the while struggling to understand what the boy was saying. The elf was himself a young one and had only some knowledge of the Common Tongue. As he determined finally that the boy was asking about the small pony that had only recently arrived, he pointed towards a stall halfway down the stable. Thad took off at top speed once again, yanking the stall door open and staring at his pony. Jordy was a magnificent sight. He had been washed, brushed, curried and even his mane had been braided. His nose was in a silver bucket when the door slammed open and he turned his head, munching happily on the feed from the bucket. He whinnied softly at Thad and then padded over to rub a (very sweet smelling) nose on Thad's shoulder. Thad began to laugh...and he laughed and laughed until his stomach hurt. "Jordy, you old bugger." He snorted, "look at you. You look as good as I do. We are true elven princes, we are."

Elrond, Cir, Gelmir and the young maiden, Talindra were still standing side by side when Cir noticed Curulindel and Erkenwine entering the Hall. He saw that they had also spied them and were on their way to the group's side. Curulindel and Elrond greeted each other while Cir greeted Erkenwine. "Where did you get yourself off to, Erkenwine? I knocked on your door on our way down but you had already left. Val and Ceindra are still by the table over there and most of us have eaten already. You, however, look like you are in great need of a hefty meal." he said, grinning. "Ah, and you have not yet met Talindra." Elrond was walking away at that moment so Cir called to Curulindel. "Curulindel, come. Let me introduce you and Erkenwine to Talindra, who is going to be Gelmir's right hand in his search." As the group gathered around Gelmir and Talindra, Cir made introductions all around. Once again, color came and went in Talindra's face and Cir thought he had never met anyone so shy before. In order to relieve her of the pressure of social exchange, which obviously troubled her, he turned to Curulindel. "I have just said that Erkenwine is beginning to drool over the smells of the food surrounding him. What say we leave the two loremasters to their work and go find this ranger something to eat." Smiling over his shoulder at Gelmir, who was still standing next to Talindra, Cir asked, "Would you like us to bring a tray to the library, Gelmir? I suspect you are more interested in your mystery than in food right now, yes? You go on, we will see that food is brought to you. And Talindra, it was my pleasure to have met you," he said, nodding his head towards her. With that, he walked off with Curulindel and Erkenwine towards the table where Val and Ceindra appeared to be headed for the garden door.

Gelmir was left standing alone next to Talindra. "Well, I....um....what I mean to say is.....well...." He stifled a deep sigh at his inadequacy at being able to find words to say to the fair maiden before him. He tried again, "Lord Elrond says you are quite a scholar. I am in need of a fellow scholar. Perhaps you would be willing to help me in a bit of a search." His eyes stared at the floor, he pulled out one quill from his unruly braid and stuck it back in another, he shuffled his feet for a moment, all the while waiting for her answer. When there was none, he looked up at her. For some reason, she reminded him of a deer caught in the light of a torch, an arrow pointed directly at her heart. What had he said, he thought, to give her that look, scrambling in his mind to think of what his last words were? Trying to save an awkward situation, he struggled to ease her mind by saying, "It is not totally necessary, but I could use the aid of a good scholar. The languages, you know. I need help in translating the older ones." All that seemed to do was send a wash of red over her cheeks. He was not getting anywhere and felt helpless. "Well, I shall head for the library. I imagine you have other important things you must be doing. I just thought I would ask, but it is alright. I'll manage." With that he began to aimlessly head for the great library of the Lord Elrond, without even saying a parting word to Talindra. He was totally distracted and had simply forgotten to.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2005 06:43
Val blinked. Ciendra seemed suddenly very subdued.

"Very well." the elf answered and offered her his arm. Val smiled at her cheerily but inwardly he was a little concerned. A gathering such as this should have had Ciendra at her absolute best.

As Gelmir walked away, something seemed to switch on in Talindra's brain and she turned, jogging after him.

"My Lord Gelmir-oh!" Talindra crossly tugged her green skirt as she nearly tripped over the hem. Looking up, she saw that the older elf had paused and looked back at her.

Blood filled her face again; why was it she made such a fool of herself?

"I would be most happy to help you." she stated quickly, before she lost her nerve. "Lord Elrond speaks highly of you and I must admit to have been....eager to meet you. I mean, er..." Best to drop that line of conversation. "I can show you where everything is and I am well versed in translation; I daresay I might have what you want already done." Did that sound boastful? "Not to boast, m'lord, um..."

Talindra quickly smiled as best she could. "Let us go to the library. They will send us something later, I am sure." she dripped her skirts, brushing them out as she began to lead the way.

After a moment she paused, cheeks red again as she realized it was not very ladylike to practically run away from one's guest. She turned back to Gelmir and offered a shaky smile and then carefully slowed her steps so she would not trip again.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 07:54
Cir waved at Val and Ceindra as the left for the gardens and then sat beside Curulindel and Erkenwine. An elf came to the table, asking what the two newcomers wished to eat. Waiting for them to respond, Cir looked up and asked for only a goblet of wine, as he had eaten with Val earlier. While they waited for the food to arrive, Cir filled them in on what Lord Elrond had told him.

"Elrond says that we missed the leaving of the Fellowship only yesterday. Which is fine with me. I have been troubled by visions that I think Gelmir will find the answer for here in Imladris. I know it has something to do with the two Istari that came with Sauraman, Gandalf and Radagast. They disappeared into the east many years ago and my visions tell me that they have a part to play in what is surely to become a great war. Sauruman has betrayed us and I have a bad feeling about the two missing Istari as well. Should we have to battle Sauron and Sauruman, I would not like to have to battle two other wizards as well. We must find them and see what devilry they are involved in. When Gelmir finds what we are looking for, I would welcome your company on our search, though I would understand if you could not join us. I know, Curulindel, how long you have been away from your home and that you may wish to stay for a while but I would welcome your company if you found it within you to come along." His expression was earnest and intense as he waited for the elf and the ranger to speak their thoughts.
**********************************************************************************************

Gelmir waited for Talindra to catch up with him.

"I would be most happy to help you." she stated quickly. When she spoke of translations she had already done, his ears pricked and he began to feel excited. When she suggested they go to the library, he was happy to follow on her heels. When she suddenly stopped, he almost ran into her.....again. She gave him a shaky smile, blushing again as she did so, and then walked at his side the rest of the way.

When they reached Elrond's great library, Gelmir's eyes were full of joy. Here, he was in his element, a place he normally felt most comfortable. The only fly in the ointment, so to speak, was the presence of the fair ellath, Talindra. For some reason, his heart seemed not to function at its normal speed when she was near him. He tried to ignore her by wandering around the many shelves, fingering this book or that parchment scroll. Turning to Talindra, he asked if Lord Elrond had told her what they were searching for. Before she had a chance to answer, he blurted out the same information Cir had just shared with Curulindel and Erkenwine. When he finished, having noticed a few times that she may have tried to interject a thought or a question that he conveniently ignored, he stared at the great table in the center of the room which was covered with assorted documents, books and parchments in a topsy turvey manner. He had a moment's thought that it reminded him of his table at home and wondered who had been working here. Whoever it was, he worked just like Gelmir himself. "Now that's the person I should be given as an assistant," he thought, as he waited for Talindra to comment on what he had just finished sharing with her.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 12:17
Erkenwine and Curulindel bowed their heads nearly at the same time in greeting of Lord Elrond and the rest of the group standing there. When Ciryacáno adressed him Erkenwine nodded. "Oh, after I had deposited my belongings in my room I had ventured out in Lord Elronds beautiful garden, while Curulindel went to his home." he glanced at the table as Ciryacáno mentioned the meal they already head. "If you don't mind, I will just pick myself a few things on the way." A new elven lady was mentioned and Curulindel came closer to meet Talindra. Curulindel bowed his head to her. "Mae Govannen, Híril nín Im Curulindel e Imladris Glassen le govaded " Curulindel smiled at the female elf. Erkenwine bowed his head as well. "I'm Erkenwine a Ranger of North-Ithilien, and its my pleasure to meet you, fair lady." There was not much more he could ask about her studies and interest in books because Ciryacáno mentioned food again.

"Oh yes, I would not try to stop you from showing me the way to fill my empty stomach. So there's nothing left on the table over there?" Erkenwine said smiling. He was too easy-going to find anything at all a problem. "we can take you to naneth's house, she'll gladly offer you food." Curulindel said. (naneth = mother) but Circycáno led them over to the table. "oh, so there is something left...well, you two, sit down, join me in a little feast. It was after all a long journey." Erkenwine already sat down and looked at an elven maiden who had come to the table to ask what he wanted. "Whatever you have, that is meaty and cooked. I thank thee, he nodded his head then turned to Cir. "So, my dear Ciryacáno, what will be happening now that we are here? I gather this is where you wanted to come and my path with you stops right here then, and Curulindel's home as well. Unless...you need my services longer, I shall be at your command." Curulindel just grinned over his lively young friend and looked at the elven maiden. "a glass of elderberry dew and anything you have." he fully trusted in the elven gourmet of Imladris.

When Ciryacáno told them the news of Elrond, Erkenwine's mouth opened slightly in question. "a fellowship?" he had not known that any fellowships should form to go after the ring but when he looked at Curulindel, he realised that he must have had an idea, because he didn't look surprised. Then there was that talk of Istari. Erkenwine had met some of them but not those mentioned. But Curulindel nodded remembering the Istari. He was after all much older than Erkenwine, even though amongst elves he was a very young man, not unlike Erkenwine himself. "a battle with Sauron and Saruman?" Erkenwine looked surprised. "But isn't Saruman the leader in the istari order? It cannot be." Curulindel sighed. "I half expected it, the way Elrond had been hinting things." Of course being an Imladris elf, he and his fellow elves had shared many of Elronds thoughts."Is Gandalf not back?" Curulindel now asked. "I heard he was on the way to Imladris, the Council." Erkenwine took up Cir's next remark. "Gelmir is looking for what in the library? looking for something we then have to go and find?" he raised a brow mischievously. "this sounds like a mysterious adventure, Ciryacáno, I am sure a Ranger would be a great help in a search like this." he smiled and glanced at Curulindel. "He'll make up his mind as well to follow when the time comes." Erkenwine answered for his friend and looked up at the elven maiden who arrived with the food.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 05:18
"Ceindra," Val began as they entered the gardens. "Are you alright?"

He was concerned about her; mainly because he preferred her to smile.

Talindra took a moment to process the information and took a deep breath. "Oh..."

She turned to the table and blinked, realizing for the first time how messy her desk was. "Uh...you can use this place to work if you wish. I apologize for the mess; I tend to clump things togehter and well, I am certain there are some writings on the Istari about, er.." she turned and pointed. "The higher shelves up there. We will have to get the ladder."

She started to walk forward, only to hit her thigh into the table. Talindra caught herself and knocked a bottle of ink over. She grabbed it and set it up right barely in time. Her leg was stinging and she felt the urge to spout off some words she really had no business knowing.

"The ladder should be over here." Talindra said, drawing herself up a little stiffly. She was sure to have a bruise later.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 08:46
Cir sat with Erkenwine and Curulindel while the ranger and elf ate the food brought by the elf maiden. He himself had a small glass of some of the finest of elven liquors, which he sipped while talking to the other two.

"Gandalf indeed returned here to Imladris and has, according to Lord Elrond, become a member of the Fellowship, which consists of Legolas of Mirkwood, Gimli, son of the dwarf Gloin, and oddly enough Boromir, the eldest son of Denethor of Minas Tirith. An unusual addition to the group is Aragorn, son of Arathorn...Isildur's heir...which should make some problems for Boromir, I would think." Glancing at Erkenwine, he smiled slightly. "I would guess he is well known to you, Ranger." He went on, "The remaining members of the Fellowship are surprisingly enough four halflings, Hobbits of the Shire, a forgotten race." Cir shook his head in wonder at this. "It is one of the Hobbits, Frodo Baggins, who is the ring bearer. They head for Morder and Mt. Doom to destroy the ring and end the evil, even as we sit here calmly eating our meal. The future of Middle Earth rests on their success. It is difficult to imagine that success is a word we can use here. However, that may not be the only difficulty.

"You're right, Erkenwine. The two remaining Istari may also have a part to play here. Lord Elrond has heard from Gandalf directly of Sauruman's betrayal. He has joined with Sauron, with the help of one of the Palantiri, and is developing an army of his own at Isengard. But it is Alatar and his friend Pallando that most concern me now...and what Gelmir is searching for." He leaned forward, his hands fisted tightly so that his knuckles were white, such was his intensity. "There may be a possibility that when they went into the east with Sauruman originally and failed to return, they may have themselves become turned from the light. There are rumors that they they have founded or begun secret cults and traditions of magic that may outlast even the fall of Sauron, should that come to pass. (The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, No. 211). We none of us know as no one has seen or heard of them in ages. But my visions lead me to believe that the two may be bent to the same evil as Sauruman. Thus Gelmir is searching for the information of the last place they were seen or heard of. When he has found this, he, Val and I are determined to attempt to search for them to see for ourselves what we all may have to deal with beyond the already prevalent danger of Sauron and Sauruman."

He held out his hands, palms turned upwards. "We would welcome your presence at our side....both of you. Curulindel, I have known you for an age. I know you are a brave warrior when the situation calls for it. And Erkenwine, your reputation precedes you. I would rest my own life in your hands, were it called for. Would you both be willing to journey with us?"
Looking at the cluttered library table, Gelmir had just thought to himself, "Now that's the person I should be given as an assistant," when Talindra began apologizing for the state of the mess he was seeing. So SHE was the one who studied the way he himself liked to study??? Would wonders never cease. He stared at her from a completely different viewpoint. Hmmm, perhaps she would fit the bill, he thought. At least they worked in the same state of happy disarray, he smiled to himself.

As she continued awkwardly trying to explain where the parchments containing information about the Istari's passings through Middle Earth were stored, she was walking towards him and somehow managed to bang into the table...which loosened a bottle of ink that she caught in mid-drop and replaced on the table top. The thump of her upper leg against the table made Gelmir wince in empathetic pain. How often did he himself do the same thing and he knew the bruise it would leave.

"The ladder should be over here." Talindra said, drawing herself up a little stiffly. Yes indeed, there would be a huge bruise, he thought, and suddenly feeling much in common with this shy, awkward elf maiden, he resolved to put her at ease. He lowered his eyes, realizing his staring at her could not make her feel any better. Softly he spoke to her.

"M'lady Talindra, I fear we may have gotten off on the wrong foot. I have not come to take over your library...or your work. I am merely here to do some research and would very much appreciate your most worthy assistance. I search for two of the Istari in particular. Alatar and Pallando. I need to know where they were last seen or heard of. As it has been many an age since that may have taken place, I feel the records may be in old Qenya or Noldorin. They would not be recent records, nor would they be in Sindarin. I am less than knowledgable in those ancient languages than I would like but Lord Elrond tells me that that is your milieu, your favorite course of study. Will you help me, please?"
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 05:15
By the time Gelmir stopped speaking Talindra was bright red again. She was not used to compliments and when they were given she hardly knew how to react.

"L-lord Elrond is very kind." she said. "But yes, I do love the old languages."

The woman turned away. "I know that there is one or two volumes over here. I will retrive them and then we can start our search there."

She glanced over her shoulder and smiled. "I will be most happy to let you work here. It has been a long time since I had a fellow colleauge to share this place with."
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 23, 2005 05:53
Ceindra graciously took Val's arm, and walked with him outside. She appeared silent and reserved, most unusal for an elf as bubble as her. They were silent for a few minutes, as Ceindra pondered over her thoughts, and took in the sound of the singing birds. There were no such creatures in Mithlond, only gulls. And yet, instead of enchanting her, it only made her miss the harsh cries of the birds of her home.

Sighing, she let go of Val's arm, and looked towards the West. Her friend's behaviour a few minutes ago entered her mind. He had been acting strangely, there was no doubt about it, but was there anything more to it? An idea wriggled it's way into her thoughts. But no...he couldn't have been jealous of Cirlon. Why would he? He had no reason to! Swiftly, she tried to rid herself of it. But, even then, it still lingered.
Again, she sighed. Val was getting increasingly worried by now. She decided to say something. "Do you miss home?" She asked. He looked bewildered. She fell silent again. Then suddenly, words just spilled out of her mouth, although she didn't know where they came from, except from the heart. "You didn't have to worry, because it's you I....um.....never mind." She blushed slightly, and turned away from him, running her hand through her long blonde hair as she did.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 26, 2005 05:54
While Cir sat and talked with Curulindel and Erkenwine, his eyes followed Val and Ceindra as they strolled in the gardens. Neither of them looked particularly happy and Cir shook his head. He wondered if either of them would ever get around to showing their feelings to the other. In his visions, he had seen them together, at a time in future...with children at their side. But visions were not necessarily that which was to be. The individuals involved in any vision had to make it happen....or not. He hoped it would for them, though.

*********************************************************************************

Gelmir was pleased that she would work with him. He needed the help, and the material from Lord Elrond's library....and, smiling once again at the fair maiden, he was aware that he wanted her to be at his side. The thought made him simultaneously happy...and uncomfortable. He had never wanted to work at the side of anyone before, least of all a female elf, and he did not understand his feelings.

Reaching up to scratch his head, he found three quills in his way. Tugging them out, he dropped them into the pouch at his waist, then ran his fingers through his hair, attempting to straighten it out.

"Ahem," he cleared his throat, "the pleasure is mine, m'lady. Now, where are those volumes you mentioned?"
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 12:35
Curulindel just nodded softly when Ciryacáno told him that Gandalf went along with this interesting assortment of nations. Erkenwine listened in amazement and gave Curulindel an odd look. "my dear friend, it seems that nothing can ever impress you." he had a smile on his face nevertheless. Even Curulindel had to smile over his words. "we do live diffrently here in Imladris, mellon nín, you know that well." he looked at Ciryacáno now. "Aragorn.." he said quietly. "he grew up here in Imladris. I did not think he would go into the battle for the ring. It was always his wish to stay unknown. But he cannot evade his fate, for this it a fate." he said wisely. At the mention of Hobbits even Curulindel look slightly surprised. "Hobbits indeed? How curious." "hobbits? what will those little fellows do on a journey such as this. They have not the mind for such matters." Erkenwine replied thoughtfully.

Erkenwine jumped up from his chair. "Saruman betrayed the order of the istari? For Sauron and the ring?...this is unbelievable. Middle Earth has truthly changed, I have seen a large shadow near Mirkwood when I sat out on my way to Imladris. It darkens people's minds." he was feeling rather serious all of a sudden which was not natural to him. Curulindel though was more concerned about the palantir. "Saruman...has a Palantir? we have never been able to retrieve them all." Curulindel's face became pale if that was possible at all in his fair complexion. "and..Alatar and his friend Pallando? turning from the light?" he shook his head. Both Erkenwine and Curulindel nodded when Ciryacáno asked them to join them on their journey to find Alatar and Pallando. "Gladly I shall give my services to you, hîr nín " Erkenwine said. "And so shall I." Curulindel answered. "and I guess that Gelmir is now in the study of Lord Elrond to read the scriptures and old scrolls. Is there anything to do for us, or shall we rest? where is the young boy gone Ciryacáno?" He suddenly remembered not having see the young human boy anywhere.

[Edited on 11/5/2006 by Elebridith]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 02, 2005 06:58
Curulindel's musings about Aragorn brought Cir's attention back from watching Val and Ceindra to the conversation at hand. "I don't know what his future will bring but on this journey, he has given his promise to assist one of the Hobbits in his task, which is as ringbearer. You wonder what the Hobbits will be doing? According to Lord Elrond, it is the Hobbit Frodo Baggins who has agreed to carry the ring to Mordor, a mighty task for one so small. The other three are friends and relations of his from the Shire who wished to travel with him." He shook his head as he thought of the perils facing the Fellowship, particularly with Saruman's treachery. But at the mention of Alatar and Pallando, his head jerked around to face Curulindel.

"Nay, it is not known whether the two Istari have joined with Saruman and Sauron. Rumors, is all. That is what we are trying to determine as a certainty. Gelmir will search for the last location attested to both and we will trek out to find them, as secretly as possible until we know where they are and what they are doing. My greatest fear is that if we find them and discover they have indeed turned to the dark side, it may be our task to find a way to stop both of them. I dread facing one treacherous Istar, let alone two of them. However, luck may be on our side. The rumors are that Alatar's friend, Pallando, has been in contact with Saruman and may be playing with fire but that Alatar is himself still true to what is good and pure....that he and Pallando are at odds with one another. Thus, we may have at least one of the Istari on our side."

Glancing at Curulindel, he remarked, "But that may account for one of the missing seeing stones." His eyebrow raised and his lips curled in a troubled smile. "It pleases me however that you would both be willing to travel with Val, Gelmir and me. I think I would prefer that Ceindra not hear of this, though, for I fear she will insist on joining us. Her parents would never allow me to return to Mithlond should she come to harm." He sighed at the thought of trying to stop Ceindra from doing anything she had made up her mind to do.

Suddenly, Curulindel asked about Thad. Ciryacáno laughed jovially. "Ah but there is a transition worthy of seeing for yourself. He was cleaned and dressed in elven clothing, his hair washed and brushed, and he has been prancing about like an elven princeling ever since. He has convinced me to teach him to read, not just the Common language but ours as well. Val he has practically ordered to teach him to use a bow and arrow. And of course you, Cur, have already promised him to aid him in the creation of a sword and how to use it. He will be a mighty warrior before Gelmir's work is done and we are ready to travel on if he has anything to say of it." For a moment, he sat as humorous thoughts passed through his mind. "He went to stable to check on his pony, I'm sure worried that Jordy would not be treated with the same care as our own steeds. He has not returned as yet which makes me wonder exactly what has become of him. I think I will take a walk to the stable and see if I can find him. Would you care to join me?"

When he arrived at the stable, he caught the arm of one of the elves passing by with an armload of hay, asking for any information on the whereabouts of the young human. Smiling, the elf jerked his head in the direction of a small stall at the other end of the stable. When he had strolled down to the stall and looked in, his eyes opened wide and he chuckled with amusement. Jordy, looking for all the world totally proud of himself now that he was buffed and polished, his mane and tail braid elvish style, lay on the floor of the stall gazing up at Cir. Whinnying softly, he nudged his nose against Thad, who lay sound asleep between Jordy's legs with his head on Jordy's belly, a little less prince-like than he had been earlier, as he now had straw in his hair and dust on his velvet tunic. Cir smiled and decided to leave the lad sleep for a while and wandered out of the stable.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2005 11:50
Curulindel, Imladris elf and Erkenwine, Ranger

Curulindel listened with interest to what Ciryacáno was telling him about Aragorn and the tasks that had been bestowed on the Hobbit called Frodo. He was amazed about such a heavy burden being handed on to such an unlikey creature. "it is unusual to chose a Hobbit for this task, but I know that Lord Elrond always knows why such a choice had to be made. he is so visionary." Erkenwine just leaned back in the high chair listening and stuffing bits of meat into his hungry mouth. THe food kept his mouth shut for a while, which wasn't always a bad thing.

Curulindel's face changed slightly when Ciryacáno mentioned those two istari and what was needed to be done if they found their whereabouts. THough Curulindel was a good elven archer, and swordsman, he still shivered at the thought of it and he could tell that Cir wasn't all too happy about the task at hand himself. Erkenwine's mouth was too full to comment on that, even though he had a few things sitting there in the tip of his tongue, presently co-occupied by some cooked vegetable that he could not name. "and you think that Alatar and Pallando have a Palantir? this is indeed very worrying." Curulindel forgot to eat and drink and lowered his eyes in thought.

On the mention of Ceindra both the elf and the ranger nodded in silence and understanding. The subject then went on to lighter things: the boy Thad. Erkenwine nearly choked on his food when he suddenly had to burst out laughing at the change a good bath and elven clothes could do to a human child. Finally he chuckled and said. "This will indeed be a great change, and I should know, it has happened to me." Curulindel smiled at this remembering the times when Erkenwine had first come to Imladris, having had run into a group of Orcs unexpectantly. He had most definitely needed a bath and new clothes, and looked like a new man afterwards.

Curulindel and Erkenwine rose from the table and followed Cir into the stable. Erkenwine still had a chicken-leg in his hand on which he gnawed. At least he thought it might be something like a chicken. The sight of the sleeping human boy in the straw was rather touching. Erkenwine chuckled quietly as they walked out of the stable again. "well, I see he is quickly returning to being himself again, rather than an elf, hahaaa.." refering to the straw in the boys hair and the way he had rested on his pony. "he loves his pony much." said Curulindel. "if a child loves their animals that much, they must have missed out on a loving family. Tell me a bit about the boy, Ciryacáno."
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2005 06:10
Val's face softened and he gently took her arm. "Ciendra, I...well, that is..." he felt his cheeks redden. "You have grown up, quite a bit."

The elf smiled somewhat depreciatingly. "I must confess that I have always thought of you as the tiny elf child who followed me about. I realize I have been mistaken. On this journey, you have proved to be a noble lady." He took her hand and kissed it gently. "I am proud to be your friend."

Talindra couldn't help but hide a smile behind a long hand as he discovered the quills in his hair and quickly strove to remedy it.

"Ahem," he cleared his throat, "the pleasure is mine, m'lady. Now, where are those volumes you mentioned?"

"This way." she said softly and led the way to one of the wall shelves at the other end of the room. Luckily, Celebwen had not put the ladder away. The younger elf was forever trying to straighten up Talindra's work space. She appreciated Celebwen's help, but sometimes it vexed her horribly.

She gathered her skirts in one hand and nimbly climbed the ladder belying her previous clumsiness. She selected a heavy volume and tucked it under the arm that held her skirts. She climbed down slowly and then walked to the table.

"This is a start." she stated. "I believe there is some passages on the Istari here and there; we will have to search for them."

BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 05, 2005 04:08
Cir shook his head at Curulindel's comment regarding the Hobbit, Frodo Baggins. "You are mistaken, Curulindel. It was the Hobbit himself who said he would take the ring to Mordor. Aragorn and the rest simply agreed to accompany him. The fact that Elrond agreed is strange though." At this point, Cir nudged Curulindel, jerking his head in Erkenwine's direction. "One would think he had not eaten in an age," he said laughingly.

They continued talking until Curulindel asked, "and you think that Alatar and Pallando have a Palantir? this is indeed very worrying." Curulindel forgot to eat and drink and lowered his eyes in thought.

"It is a great possibility that they do," Cir answered. "You yourself pointed out that not all the seeing stones had been accounted for. And we now know that Saruman is in possession of one of them. What is to say that the Blue Wizards did not accept one from the traitor, who has used it to seduce them to the dark side. Gandalf himself said no one has seen or heard from them in hundreds of years. We have no idea what they are doing....and much as I fear such a journey, I must attempt to find that information. I ask you not to join me as I cannot know what we would discover, but your company would be most welcome."

As Erkenwine finished eating the elves out of house and home, the three began to leave talk of the darkness behind and turned to the subject of the foundling, Thad. Traveling to the stable, the three gazed down at the sleeping child, Cir with great affection. "he loves his pony much." said Curulindel. "if a child loves their animals that much, they must have missed out on a loving family. Tell me a bit about the boy, Ciryacáno."

Cir walked away from the stall before he began to speak so as not to wake the boy. "I asked about his background in Bree. He was orphaned as an infant and sold at age four to the stablemaster as an apprentice. You must recall the stablemaster...a beast of a man. Thad was beaten daily and his only shelter was a pile of hay in the back of the stable. He is little educated but he is bright, and learns quickly. I have already taught him some letters and he is anxious to learn more." Glancing sideways at Curulindel, he continued, "You must keep your word to the boy to aid him in the creation of his sword and how to use it. I would leave him behind but I know he will follow nonetheless. I'd rather he be prepared for whatever evil we encounter."

Suddenly a thought crossed his mind. "My friends, I must excuse myself. It has suddenly occurred to me that Gelmir, in his anxiousness to find the Library, has not eaten. I had promised to bring him a tray." Cir nodded his farewell at the two and went immediately to the great hall, where he found what he needed.

When he reached the Library, he stood for a moment in the shadows, watching Gelmir and Talindra standing side by side at a large table, their heads together, engrossed in the pages of a book. The table was a ruin of tumbled documents, parchment scrolls and ancient books.

"Gelmir! Talindra! I have brought some edibles for you both," he said as he walked to the edge of the table, pushing aside a tome so he could lay the tray down. Gelmir handed him the book the two had been perusing. "Read this," he said, and Cir looked at the words that were written in the ancient language. Morinehtar..Darkness-slayer. Rómestámo..East-helper. He struggled with the words until he had translated the short passage.

"What are these names? I thought they were named Alatar and Pallando." Gelmir explained that these were also their names. "Just read, Cir." Cir read aloud the words before his eyes.

"This says their task was to circumvent Sauron, that they were to help the men of the East that had rebelled against Melkor-worship and stir up a rebellion, and after his first fall to find him, but they failed. They don't sound as though they were erring in their ways then," Cir said, and then continued, "They were a great influence during the Second and Third Ages by weakening and disarraying the dark forces of the East. This gives us no indication that they have turned to Sauruman. The were helping the peoples of Middle Earth well into this Age." He stood with a stunned look on his face. "Then why do my visions give impressions of evil? Could they have changed? Gelmir, keep looking. There must be more recent evidence that you have not yet seen. My visions are so clear...." With a troubled look on his face, he turned and left the Library, leaving Gelmir and Talindra with puzzled looks on their faces.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 05:23
Cir wandered through Rivendell as the night waned, his mind lost in thought. The two wizards, Alatar and Pallando, or as they were also called Morinehtar..Darkness-slayer and Rómestámo..East-helper, had been listed in recorded history as well-doers, aiding the elves and men of Middle Earth in their battle against Sauron. Then why did his visions show them as.....as what? He had seen the palantir in the hands of one of them....but which one? And what had the one holding the seeing stone...been watching? He shook his head, trying to regain the vision but it was gone now, drifting from his mind like fog over the sea. Nothing was clear now. All he knew was that he had to find them, and soon.

He was sitting on a stone bench as the sun began to rise over the hills to the east when there was a rustling in the bushes nearby. His head came up and he waited to see what would appear. When nothing rose from the bushes, he called out, "Who's there?" A curly head popped up and a voice responded, "Good morning, Sir Cir. I wondered when you were going to wake up." Thad pushed his way through the brush to the pathway and sat next to Cir. "I was afeared you were going to sleep all day."

"I wasn't sleeping, Thad, just thinking," Cir said. "How long have you been hiding in the bushes? The last I saw you, you were sound asleep yourself in the stable with Jordy." He smiled, brushing his hand through the curly mop that was Thad's hair.

"Sir Cir, I have been here for hours. And you haven't moved in all of those hours. Not a muscle. If you weren't sleeping, what were you doing?" Thad glanced up a Cir, waiting for an answer. Cir looked around him and realized that indeed the night was gone and the light of day was filtering though the trees. He had no idea where his mind had been all those hours, for indeed it had been hours. He remembered reading the book that Gelmir had shoved into his hands, he recalled leaving the library......but where had he been the rest of the night? Puzzled, he looked at Thad, staring at him for long moments. He finally let out a deep breath he had no idea he had been holding. Standing, he reached for Thad's hand, pulling him to his feet.

"Do you know what I think, young man? I think I am hungry. How about you? Shall we go see if we can find something to eat in the great hall?" Looking Thad over from head to toe, he smiled, saying, "Though I do believe a little cleaning up might be in order before we face the rest of Elvendom." He picked a few pieces of straw from Thad's hair and brushed more off his shoulder. Leading the way, he headed back to their room, teaching Thad a few more words of the elven language used here in Imladris.

"And how do you thank someone politely, Thad?" he asked. "Hannon le!" Thad shouted, proud of his new words.
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2005 06:34
Ceindra sighed. Val would never get it. "Thank you." she said politely, but without real meaning. "It seems you all have misjudged me. Even I am guilty of that." Exhaling, she began to walk again, leaving Val behind. Now, even more than ever, she missed her home. Although it was perfect here, the young elf knew it wasn't right for her. Smiling slightly when she remembered the sound of waves crashing on the shore, she turned back to Val. "Come on!" she called to him.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2005 01:17
Curulindel was still contemplating all that Ciryacáno had said about the Hobbit Frodo volunteering to carry the ring. He was amazed at everyone joining in on this quest, but then again, Elrond had often enough said that all the nations of Middle Earth would have to unite in order to destroy the darkness. And Elrond had always been able to foresee what the future held. So for the Lord agreeing on such a quest was the only part that Curulindel believed instantly.

As they returned to the house Cir talked about the Palantir that might be in possession of the two unaccounted Istari. "I can see what you are saying, mellon nín, but it is as good a sign as it is a bad one, if they should indeed keep another Palantir as Saruman does. If we find them to have joined the dark side, they will have great power in knowing and are able to communicate with Saruman whereever he is or they are." Erkenwine looked over at Curulindel, when he spoke thus. Erkenwine's brows furrowed as he listened to the conversation taking it all in.

Finally they learned about the human boy Thad. As Curulindel had thought, the boy had not been raised by the love of his parents, but was an orphan. Curulindel's face changed in disbelief about the cruelties the boy had suffered in the place where he had been forced to work hard being a mere child. He softly shook his head. "It is sometimes very hard to believe for us that humans are capable of such cruelty to their young, though we have seen it a lot through the ages. I will most definitely keep my word and show the boy how to force a sword he may be able to weald." Curulindels features softened again and a small smile appeared. "And I shall teach him how to read the signs of the forest and land, that every living thing leaves behind as it passes through the world." Erkenwine added licking a finger. Before Erkenwine could add anymore Cir had excused himself hastily and left them to themselves. "It seems to be rather a pressing matter." Erkenwine said grinning.

Both of them did not see anybody else any more that evening, so Erkenwine retired to his room at Lord Elronds house and Curulindel wandered through his garden in the moonlight, thoughtful. He then retired to his mothers house for the rest of the night.

Erkenwine was still fast asleep when the sun rose. He obviously had been in great need of catching up. Curulindel had come over to Elrond's house to call on him. But hearing not a sound from his room refrained from waking him and instead went off to find Ciryacáno, Gelmir, Val and the young elven maiden. he soon heard the cheerfull voice of the young human boy.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2005 02:32
Val looked after Ciendra helplessly. Now what had he said? He had given her a compliment, hadn't he?! Shaking his head, he followed and escorted her back to her room.

He went to his own and lied on the soft bed. He didn't understand her at all. One minute she was a child, the next a lady, then she seemed to like him and then she went about with some other oaf.

He would talk to Cir in the morning. Perhaps that would help him clear his head.

The next morning dawned bright and early. Talindra was in the library when the sun was just peeking over the horizon, making more notes of what she and Gelmir had found and re-organizing the ones that they had made last night.

Celebwen had another of her cleaning fits, so Talindra could of course find nothing in all the neatness. By the time Gelmir came in, she was still trying to replicate the usual comforting mess she could work in.

Val wandered about that morning, in search of Cir. He spotted Erkenwine and immediately hailed the ranger.

"Have you seen Cir or Ciendra this morning?" the elf asked, after inquiring how the ranger had slept.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 09:16
Ciryacáno and Thad had reached the Hall and had found a table once again near the windows to the garden. Thad was cheerfully chattering, asking question after question, none of them seemingly related, while Cir ordered some breakfast for the two of them.

"Sir Cir," Thad began. "Not Sir, just Cir," Cir interjected once again, rolling his eyes. Thad sighed and continued, "The elves really made Jordy something, didn't they? Did you see his mane and tail? I told him the two of us were Elven princelings now. What do you think? And what's the word for breakfast? Do you elves have a word for that? That's my favorite meal of the day, usually...." He hesitated, "but you don't serve bacon. Why not? I love bacon. You have a lot of fruits here, don't you? Do they grow their own fruits? I haven't seen any fruit trees or bushes yet. Where do they hide them? Am I going to learn how to shoot arrows with Val today? Or am I going to make my sword with Curulindel? You all have weird names, you know that? Who names you? Where do they come up with these names?"

Cir's ears were deluged with the non-stop sound issuing from his young protegé and he was more than happy when, through the window he caught site of Val and Curulindel. Calling out to them, he invited them to join Thad and him at the table. Turning back to Thad, he said, "Just before we parted last night, Erkenwine also made an offer that I think you would most enjoy. He suggested that he would be happy to teach you the ways of the woodlands, or as he put it, 'And I shall teach him how to read the signs of the forest and land, that every living thing leaves behind as it passes through the world.' Just what every good Ranger needs to know, do you not think? Perhaps you will not be able to grow up as an elvin princeling but you are certainly bright enough to become a Ranger, should you like. What think you of that?"

At that point, both Val and Curulindel arrived at their table. "Good morning, my friends. Curulindel, I have been teaching our young lad some of our language yet all he seems to worry about is why we do not have bacon here in Imladris." Cir laughed and poked Thad on the shoulder. "Am I right, young man?" Thad grinned back at him.

At that moment Erkenwine strode up to the table, greeting them in a lively manner. Cir said, "I was just telling Thad that you would be willing to teach him the ways of a Ranger. You arrived before he had a chance to respond." Turning to Thad, he waited for the boy to speak his thoughts.

Thad looked at the tall, blonde Ranger and smiled gleefully. "I would enjoy that very much, sir, and," his eyes gleamed as he shouted, "and hannon le." He sat looking very smugly at Erkenwine.

Laughing, Cir asked, "He is practicing his language skills this morning," he said, grinning. "And Ceindra, where is she? She never was one to arise early though, so I'm sure she's still abed. Knowing Gelmir, he is already in the library. Val, you know how he is....once on a search, he will not be seen for days, less we search him out." He smiled at that thought. Gelmir did tend to be a bit obsessive when he was engrossed in his tomes.

Indeed, Gelmir had barely rested through the night and had given up and risen long before the sun had. He made his way to the library in his loose night robes, walking in a pair of silken slippers highly embossed with silver and gold flowers and vines. He had found a far corner in the shadows, where he sat in a carved wooden chair padded with soft cushions. Lighting a candle on the table next to him, he went back to the main table and rummaged through the parchments and books until he found two he thought might help him. Tucking them under his arm, he found his way back to the comfortable chair and plunked himself down, opening the first of the two books and laying it across his lap. By candlelight, he read the ancient texts, pulling a quill from his hair, dipping it into a small inkwell on the table by the candle, and making notes on a scrap of blank parchment he had brought with him.
At some point, his tired eyes closed and whatever noise had been made by Celebwen was never heard as he drifted in a dream state. If she had noticed him, she left him alone and went on about her business of making an organized pile of the mess left the night before. No, it was not Celebwen's banging and dropping of books that woke him, but rather Talindra's almost soundless footsteps. His eyes popped open and he listened as she tossed books around, wondering what she was doing. More importantly to him, however, was why he was so aware of what she was doing, why her lightest step could bring him to such awareness of her presence. Shaking his head, he stood, noting that the candle had burned itself out, and picking up the books he had brought back into his hidden corner, made his way to the great center of the library.

Standing in his night clothes, looking terribly vulnerable but entirely unaware of that fact, he spoke. "Good morning, Talindra. What seems to be troubling you, my dear?", he asked, as he watched her moving books and parchments from one end of the table to the other.

[Edited on 18/10/2005 by berethedhellen]
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 01:10
((haha, no! its not Erkenwine in Elrond's halls, its Curulindel! Erkenwine is still fast asleep! ) - so how do I go around that?))

Curulindel turned his head when he heard footsteps and finally noticed Val appear behind him. "Aur vaer mellon nín." he greeted the other elf. "and no, I have not seen Ciryacáno yet, nor the young maiden. I had only just walked in here to check on Erkenwine, who seems not quite ready for our early meals." He then followed Val along the corridor and soon entered the Hall with tables for breakfast. Curulindel bowed his head towards Cir and walked over to the table to take an empty seat. "And good morrow to you my young friend." Curulindel smiled at Thad who seemed to be showering Cir with questions which the elf was now trying to answer. The boy seemed very lively, with rosy cheeks. It seemed that the Imladris air and elven care was doing him very good.

When Ciryacáno mentioned Erkenwine Curulindel was about to open his mouth to explain, that the Ranger in question still had great need for sleep, but was stopped by the very man entering the hall brightly. "A good morrow to all of you!" he said rather cheerfully and came walking over with bouncing strides as if he had been awake for hours. Curulindel glanced at him in surprise and closed his mouth again, smirking. "And how's our young fellow here?" he ruffled the boys hair, a habit of his he couldn't drop. Erkenwine sat down and looked from elf to elf to the boy and finally glanced at what was offered on the table. He rubbed his hands while he decided what to have to fill his stomach. Cir was then asking him about his offer to show the boy the ways of a Ranger. "but of course, I will gladly show you, my young friend. If your keen." Erkenwine laughed brightly when the boy answered excitedly and thanked him in Sindarin. "Mae carnen!" Erkenwine answered the boy back. "that means 'well done' meaning your progress of the elven language. your are an alert boy, and thats a trait very important to a good Ranger." he praised the boy with a broad smile.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 01:45
Oops! How did I miss that? I've edited my post to follow yours, El. Any small errors beyond that we'll just ignore and move on, okay? Good to see you, by the way.

Ber
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 08:45
Thad's chest puffed up with Erkenwine's compliment. Grinning at the elves surrounding him, he had never felt so cared for or happy in his short life. A small part of his mind sometimes asked if this was only a dream as he had never known such kindness before. His brow furrowed as he thought about the stablemaster who had been his master for as long as he could recall. He didn't want to ever see him again, or anyone like him, at least not until he was big enough and strong enough to knock him off his feet. His eyes looked over the three elves and the ranger and thought to himself, each of them offers willingly to teach me a skill. Which one should I know first? I like the sound of their words but that will not help me if I meet a bad man. Besides, I can learn that as I go along. Curulindel will help me craft a sword and teach me how to use it. Val will help me find a bow my size and teach me how to use that. And Erkenwine will show me the ways of the rangers, how to track and how to understand the natural things around me. I can choose anyone I want. Which one do I want to do first? As all young boys, his mind was full of battles, fighting off the orcs (though he had only heard of them and never seen a single one in his life). He thought back to the fight with the ruffians and thugs they had met on their way to Rivendell and was ashamed that he had not been able to help, that he had been tucked under the rocks to keep him safe. Never again, he thought. I want to fight next time, he determined. That's it. I will get my sword first. Having decided, he listened to the soft voices of the big men who sat at the table with him. When finally there was a short break in the conversation, his young voice rang out.

"Curulindel, I want a sword! I want to know how to use it, too. Can we do that today, please, sir?"

Cir smiled at the other elves and the ranger. "I think our lad has made his choice as to which weapon or skill he most wants to learn. Curulindel, may I leave him with you today? I myself need to speak with Gelmir and would be content to know that Thad is in good hands."

When the morning meal was over, knowing that Thad was cared for for the day, Cir headed for the Library. He wandered first through the gardens, enjoying the early morning breeze and the leaf-filtered sunlight falling through the trees. Suddenly, unexpectedly, a shot of pain sliced through his head. So bad was it that he could no longer see nor walk. Finding himself next to a bench, his hands felt his way down to a sitting position and his hands wrapped around his head. A slight moan slipped though his lips. His mind wavered and he could see before him a battle scene....orcs and wargs, Curulindel, Erkenwine, Val battling against them, and on a slight rise, a hooded figure, standing, watching. He knew the shadowy figure was smiling, an evil smile. Behind the figure was a second one, tugging at the sleeve of the first. Who they were, Cir could only guess. Then the vision faded and left only pain in his head. He didn't move, couldn't move, the pain was so intense. Finally, even the pain began to lessen and he lifted his head, gazing around the well known grounds of Imladris once again.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 09:19
Falmiel had woken up early, as was her custom and went to the halls of the sick like every morning. Also like every morning she checked on her patients, soothing fevered brows, changing dressings and talking to those who needed it. Sometimes she could not believe how fast the years had gone by since she had come to study the healing arts with Lord Elrond. Now that her training was as good as finished she was responsible for ten patients and Lord Elrond only occasionally looked in on them and discussed treatments with her. There was one patient who was particularly troubling her. His skin showed all the symptoms of a severe burn, but he did not respond to the usual burn treatment. She had meant to try out a new herb combination today and this was why she headed for the gardens. Instead of going straight to where the herbs grew, Falmiel took the opportunity to walk in the gardens for a while.

This was an extraordinarily fine day and she enjoyed the fresh air and the slight wind. Her copper hair, braided in elven fashion seemed to have a life of its own. Annoyed she tried to stuff it into the neck of her dress, but did not succeed and decided to leave it for now. This early in the morning the garden was still quite empty. Imladris was just waking up. She always enjoyed these moments of silence when she could hear and feel all of her surroundings. In a distance she could see a handsome male elf, apparently also enjoying the gardens this splendid morning.

Then, suddenly, unexpectedly, she could see him double over as if in great pain. The healer in her immediately responded to a fellow being in need. While she was already running towards him, she could observe how he more or less collapsed in the bench that was close to him. When she reached him a slight moan slipped though his lips. "Are you all right," she asked breathlessly, but there was the tone of a healer in her voice. "Sit up - don't cramp - breath easy..." With skilled hands she started to examine him, looking into his eyes, feeling for any wounds or old scars around the head and neck area. Then, as suddenly as the attack had set on, it was over.

The elf gazed rather unbelievingly at her, as if he had just returned from a distant place and was only slowly comprehending where he was and why he was here. Falmiel looked him deep in the eyes and asked again, still in her healer voice. "Are you all right, sir? I am a healer, can I help you in any way?"

[Edited on 26/10/2005 by Liswen]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 10:15
Cir's head was clearing rapidly when a soft voice spoke to him. "Are you all right," she asked breathlessly, but there was the tone of a healer in her voice. "Sit up - don't cramp - breath easy..."

He felt her gentle hands running over his head and neck, searching for .. what? He did not know as he was only now recalling where he was. He looked up....blue eyes meeting eyes the color of the seas of home, gray-green and soft with concern.

"Are you all right, sir? I am a healer, can I help you in any way?"

He found himself gazing at one of the most beautiful elven maidens he thought he had ever seen. Her red hair was blowing in tendrils around her fair face but it was her eyes he loved instantly. There was intelligence, yes, but there was also compassion, understanding and great strength as well. He could not tear his eyes away from them. Finding his voice at last, he assured her he was fine. And suddenly he knew he was. Whatever was to come, this moment would stay with him forever, carry him forward.

Reaching up to his head with both hands, he ran his fingers through his long blond hair, rubbing his skull, wiping the remaining trails of pain away. "Truly, I am fine. A momentary flash of some pain. It is gone now. Where did you come from? I thought I was alone in the gardens this morning?" Realizing how abrupt he must be sounding, he continued, "I am so sorry. How rude of me. My name is Ciryácano from Mithlond, most usually called Cir by my friends. And yours......?

While he waited for her to respond, he was thinking how much he wanted her to be a ... friend.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 11:01
After what seemed to be ages the elf finally responded. "Truly, I am fine. A momentary flash of some pain. It is gone now. Where did you come from? I thought I was alone in the gardens this morning?" Realizing how abrupt he must be sounding, he continued, "I am so sorry. How rude of me. My name is Ciryácano from Mithlond, most usually called Cir by my friends. And yours......?

Despite herself Falmiel had to laugh. A bright, merry laugh, like soft bells ringing on a summer morning. Then she looked closer at the ellon before her. He indeed was very handsome with his blond hair and blue eyes. Falmiel had never paid attention to the opposite sex before, although she was conscious of the effect she had on most of them but this was different. His looks, his voice - they sounded so familiar, she knew she wanted him to be a ... friend.

"You were not rude," she started her response. "Are you sure you are all right. If you would follow me to the halls of healing, I could have a closer look at you and maybe we could find some cause for this... Forgive me - now it is me who is rude. Mae govannen Cir. My name is Falmiel, I guess I should say of Lothlorien for that is where I lived most of my life. I am a student of the healing arts in the house of Elrond. And I happen to like early morning walks in these gardens, if this answers your question."

She felt silly. Why had she taken the liberty to call him Cir from the start. Maybe he did not consider her a friend yet and then the response would have been really rude.

She tried to find the right words to make up for her mistake, but instead she could only sit there and look at the handsome stranger.
<< First56789Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email