Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Aylaleia
Council Member
Send Message
Post You Know You're A Roleplaying Addict - Reloaded
on: May 26, 2005 05:52
Wah!! In a spring cleaning effort, the original version of this thread was deleted, but I've permission to restart it! Thank you, CarolP!!

So, here we go again! I'll kick us off....

You Know You're A RolePlaying Addict When (henceforth abbreviated as YKYARPA)...

...you can stay up for 40 hours straight RPing and no one is surprised.

Next!!

NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
Post RE: You Know You're A Roleplaying Addict - Reloaded
on: May 26, 2005 05:59
YKYARPA when even if your characters aren't writing you're willing to watch others write (we're known as FotW's, or Fly on the Wall), a lot of the unslept 40 hours! :hug:
DFK6498
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2005 05:25
YKYARPA when you are sad that you're going on holiday where there is no computer and you can't get on to RP.

cheerz!
arwyn
Faero
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2005 07:11
YKYARPA when you turn down invitations from friends for a night out; just to keep up with an RP.
Naurmaethor
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2005 08:58
When the death/end of a RP thread brings tears to your eyes.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate: and though I oft have passed them by, a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
the_ruler_of_all_serpents
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2005 10:29
YKYARPA when you thow a party for every new thread that you start or join.
Nessa_Telemnar_of_Doriath
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2005 10:30
When you check the RP in the morning but you don't have time to post, so you spend all day thinking about what you're going to post and worrying whether someone's going to get there first and spoil the plot, or you're panicking about what's going on when you're not there...

Also, when you try to read feloow RP er's mind... :s
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: May 27, 2005 11:46
YKYARPA when you need a timeline to keep straight the 100+ years you're writing in because you aren't writing the 100+ years chronologically...

My head hurts from updating the last revision...
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: May 27, 2005 12:06
When you actually can read a fellow RPer's mind...
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2005 04:04
YKYARPA when you have actually taken root in front of the computer screen.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: May 27, 2005 06:46
YKYARPA when you have to write something sad about your character, and you cry while you write it... :sob:
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 06:37
Or another take on that one, gwen, when you have to write something sad, knowing that you are going to cry, so you put it off as long as possible.

Let's see, I should have written Claur's death six months ago at least... :cry:
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 07:10
Or a third take, when you know you're going to cry when you write something so you save it for a day when you need a good cry.

You also kyarpa when writing about unfortunate things happening to your characters has the anger-relieving effect of using your most hated relative/colleague/aquaintance as a punchbag, and when it has probably saved you a good deal of grief and possibly criminal charges
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 10:42
YKYARPAW...

1. You know your fellow RP'ers by their character's name(s)
2. You can tell someone who's never Rp'ed with you before exactly how your character(s) look, act, do things, etc. without having to look in the DB for any backup.
3. Your character(s)'s life history is five pages long in Microsoft Word, single spaced size 12.
4. You sometimes sign your PMs with your character's name.
5. You can get into fights with people because of something their characted did to yours
6. Whenever someone wants to talk to you, they always come straight to the computer room and totally freak out if you aren't in front of the computer.
7. (applies to kids) Your parents have to set your bedtime an hour early because you keep begging for 10 more minutes and they don't have the heart to say 'no'.
8. You can come up with more than ten YKYARPAW's in a thread like this.
9. To add on to number eight... And they all apply to you.
10. You've learned how to type quickly and accurately with one hand so you can handle little things that come up during a live RP session that have to be taken care of at that moment--no putting it off.
11. You get into the mindset of your character so well that you could actually go around being that character for days at a time--nevermind the fact your best bud is weireded out by the sudden passion for swordfighting.

I think it's a bit obvious I'm a Roleplaying-Addict.
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 03:15
(this applies to video games) YKYARPA when your character is at such a high level he doesn't need you anymore.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 07:00
YKYARPA...
you get on the computer several times a day hoping that someone else has posted even though you know they probably havn't

you have dreams about your characters 0-o

you put off doing lots of important things because you're too busy checking in on your thread (litter box...eh) XD

everything you draw has to do with one rp or the other that you're involved in

everything you *doll* has to do with rpgs

you're writing a story that has no connection to an rpg and you accidently type either your characters name or the names of other characters in the thread

yes, I'm addicted. addicted and happy

Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2005 10:03
YKYARPAW...

You stopped posting the links to the RP's in your character's lookup. You know them all by heart anyway.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 30, 2005 06:06
YKYARPAW...

your family members come up behind you at the computer and say in an exhasperated voice: "Are you at that LOTR website AGAIN?!"

you apply just about every song you hear to your rpg in some way

your heart aches for your character when her husband/lover has to leave her and go to nearly certain death

You get infuriated when other characters tell your char to go home to mother *rawr, how dare you!*

[Edited on 6/6/2005 by dreamdancer]
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2005 08:14
Lol, is it me or should we have RPers anonomoys (Or however you spell the damn thing!)

YKYARPAW you have to fight to stop putting IC before the main body of your post

YKYARPAW you stary wincing when people write all in captials as it is too loud.

YKYARPAW you uses your spare paper to write a plot bunny in the middle of an RS mock exam.

YKYARPAW you imagine your characters running in off the sports field and carrying you away from the boredom of a real English exam. (guilty this afternoon! lol)

Okies, that's my lot
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: June 11, 2005 12:30
You know those dreams that everyone says they have, things like turning up at school/work naked, or failing all your exams? YKYARPA when you start having those dreams from your character's point of view...
Lady~Shay
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2005 06:17
(*crackin up over some of the stuff that i've done and see that others do as well* )

YKYARPAW you congradulate yourself on an recent excellent post by yourself in a thread (or you think its an excellent post)

....when you do the above all day

....when you think about how a chara would relate to a situation you were just in, and how the other charas would react to that (basically, continuing an imaginary RPG in your head, complete with the exact attitudes of the other characters, while your physical form continues to move as if nothing is going on)

fun stuff

[Edited on 7/7/2005 by Lady~Shay]
East_Emnet
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2005 03:59
YKYARPAW you hold a funeral for a "dead" thread

... you try to resurrect that thread

[Edited on 16/6/2005 by East_Emnet]
adabler
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2005 01:37
YKYARPGAW you have read this entire thread, laughing and nodding throughout (as I have)
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2005 12:02
YKYARPA when you post in a YKYARPA thread.
aelin~uial
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2005 04:20
5. You can get into fights with people because of something their characted did to yours

OMG soooooo guilty! I'm still not on civilly speaking terms with either atalante_star or Bonevene. (Both of whom, if reading this, will go, 'Just because of that?')

Anyhoo, YKYARPA when you start dreaming, not of your crush, but of your RPG characters crushes

You get extremely depressed and angry when no one posts in a certain thread/ a certain thread dies, because that's your thread and you had the whole story planned out! (Guilty, Of Elven Halls: Shield of Imladris, I cried for an hour, then was mad for a week)

You'd rather RP then spend time with friends.

You drag all your friends into RPing with you.

You have long conversations with those friends about what your RPG characters did today.

You hear a song, love it, and decide to base an RP thread on it so you can relate to that song. (Also Of Elven Halls, the end was supposed to be something dreadfully sad, so My Immortal could be it's song)
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2005 04:28
YKYARPA when you get into fights with Mods because you don't like the way they run things and you think that you could do better. (Guilty)
aelin~uial
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2005 06:19
YKYARPA when someone asks you who you like or who your best friend is, and you say a RPG characters name. (Guilty, a friend asked me who I liked, and 'Elnass' automatically popped out of my mouth before I remebered I'm not really Meridda!)
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2005 11:11
*dies laughing*

I am guilty of * a lot* of things here.

YKYARPAW...

1. Your chinese (or insert whatever language you're not good at) marks have gone up because you RP in that language.

2. Your english standard has improved too (esp. for creative writing!)

3. Your friends all know about your characters and if you're depressed the first thing they will ask is what happened in you RP thread.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2005 04:32
YKYARPAW...

You speak your character's language better than your own. (i.e. Elvish charrie--Sindarian/Quenya) *very guilty of this*

You don't understand why everyone around you thinks you need counciling.

You have friends from RP's that you know better than friends in real life.
Nevaeh__Elenath
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2005 09:32
YKYARPAW:

You know what each of your characters eat for breakfast.

You've created and alter-ego for yourself that is based on one of your charas.

You find yourself acting out your charas best moments.

You wish some of your Charas were real so you could become friends with them, or fall in love with them. (guilty)
Lady~Shay
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2005 02:57
LOL! these are so funny....

YKYARPAW...

....you say aloud what your RPG chara is 'saying' at the time you are typing it

...you act out what is happening to give you an even better idea of what's going on (as if your own vivid imagination isn't enough)

....you bug ppl who where in a thread that died until they either come back and 'resurrect' the thread, or let it lie and let you know that its just gonna stay that way *those ppl must be removed Mr. Anderson* (sorry, random moment)

....your entire day is made better by someone who made posted or is keeping the emotion going

*all my YKYARPAW's are from personal experience...i have no ideas otherwise *
Nevaeh__Elenath
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2005 04:28
Sorry for the second post, but I just experienced this one:

YKYARPAW...

It breaks your heart when you have to delete a chara you've only used once.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 24, 2005 06:41
YKYARPAW...

you obsessive-compulsivly doll all the characters in your thread.. yours and everyone elses, and you can't help yourself

You think about what may happen in your threads as you try to go to sleep, therefore keeping yourself awake because you can't fall asleep when your mind is occupied with battles and possible romances...

you have dreams about your rpgs-- this I have mentioned, but you have dreams that help you with the plot, and/or nightmares in which your character is killed. aack! yes, had one of those last night! woke up quite depressed...

it takes all your will power to keep yourself from getting online every little while to see if anyone has posted

you actually write stories about your characters and the characters they meet, just because you don't get enough of them in the rp forum

you read this list and realize you're an addict. 0.o eep!
Horatia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2005 04:04
YKYARPAW...

You go to your rp thread everyday (or twice a day even) and your heart breaks because no one has continued the story since your last post.
you obsessive-compulsivly doll all the characters in your thread.. yours and everyone elses, and you can't help yourself

DameMercure says she does that now! Only, its mostly just hers and mine. She only do other people's if they ask her. Lol!

[Edited on 25/6/2005 by Horatia]
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: June 25, 2005 09:14
I'm not sure I've seen this one (I could be wrong, though...):

YKYARPAW when you keep checking the Member's List to see if people in your RPG's are online - and pray they're online to post in the RP!
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email