Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LizzyB
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: You Know You're A Roleplaying Addict - Reloaded
on: August 11, 2005 04:49
YKYARPAW . . . . You're friend invites you to go sword-buying with her and you decide to make the outfit of one of your charries

You spend hours trying to find the right material for said outfit and when you finally find it you do a dance in the middle of the fabric store

You forgo a zipper on said outfit because it would be 'historically inacurate'

You really haven't done this yet because you're not going sword shopping until December but you have planned it all out . . . . except for the fabric part
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2005 04:52
You end up getting so agitated over something mysterious/ cliff hanger-y that those you live with notice and send you online to try and calm you down.

Eheheh... very guilty. (I wonder why *pokes Purplefluffychainsaw*)

YKYARPAW . . . .

You can spend half the day walking around feeling and acting like a character... in school/work. And said character is OOC for you.

Your friends know about your characters, even if they don't RP, and you can get them so caught up they end up helping you plan posts.

You spend hours and hours thinking about your next post, or what others in your thread might be thinking, or how it might look.

Instead of doing that all-important graded art project, you waste time and materials on bringing a scene of your thread to life.
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 13, 2005 05:13
(Hey, don't blame me! *Points acusing finger at LMM*)

You spend a whole day working out costumes, sketching scenes and generally working on your characters, and then you take a break by coming online and RPing...

Said pictures/costumes include other peoples characters from one+ RPs you're doing

You're half way through working a RP into novel format/you edit most of the RPs you're in into novel format

You contemplate dyeing your hair so it matches the colour of your favourite character, but then you remember it's already the colour of another character, so that's okay.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: August 14, 2005 05:05
YKYARPAW:

You draw the floor plans of the major places (coughG&P'sroomscough, coughhomeinthemeadowcough) in the story you're co-writing...

And, one of my co-writers has drawn the inside of the Imladris Library and Imladris Valley itself, with all of the important places noted.

You choose a set of rooms for your newly-wed character and her husband before anyone else makes a choice.

Before you can begin writing the letters from your character to another (rather than writing them in Live RP like we usually do, we are sending via email,to make them more *lettery*... ) you have to find just the right font for your character's handwriting... And you're not very pleased when Outlook Express doesn't have all the pretty hand-writing type fonts that Word does, so you have to *settle* for something *close* to her scrawl. (I chose Papyrus - it was at least legible and *looked* most like it was written with quill and ink.)

Urf... :wave: Addict Am I...
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: August 14, 2005 06:15
YKYARPAW characters in your rp start sending each other cards through the mail ....

Ele says thanks again for her card, Master Smith
legolas_luvr
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2005 12:15
YKYARPA when you begin hating your rl because it interfers with your roleplay life to much :angry: (guilty)

(for those with with dial-up connections) No one can get through your phoneline (guilty)

You're one of your characters for Halloween (tempting...)

You consider your roleplay life your 'real life' (guilty)
ranger_girl
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2005 03:20
-You have gotten all of your friends addicted to RPG and don't even bother to bring lunch to school because for lunch period all you do is sit around and Roleplay

-Your afore-mentioned friends all will go by the names of any of their characters

-you friends feel offended whenever you kill off a character and won't talk to you for a week

- Even your friends who don't understand RPG still consider "Mary-Sue" one of the worst insults of all time

-You all have started slipping Elvish into every-day speech
"Ohhh, look at that wilwarin"
"that's a moth, mellon."

- You feel sad when your characters won't fit into certain threads you like
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 28, 2005 12:09
- You draw a map depicting the world you're RPing in

- You constantly update said map

- You go on holiday, and spend the whole time wondering around with said map, looking for places were the landscape matches

- If you find somewhere you spend a good hour nancing, a silly grin on your face

- You then realise when you leave that you should have taken a picture and end up like, "nuuuuuu!", scaring the people you're on holiday

- You make a mug of your RP characters with yourself in the middle, and luff it no matter how badly it came out, just because it's *them* and *you* within an inch of each other. :love:
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 01, 2005 02:17
--When you have to get on CoE in the morning before work/school, because if you don't get your daily dose of rping (mainly just seeing if anyone has posted, which they usually have not at this point) you'll be a total crab for the rest of the day

---When you imagine your rp character engaged in ruthless battle in the front of your college classroom, paying more attention to them and their fight than to what your instructor is saying (and getting stange looks for staring into space)

-- When you start observing people, thinking of what their names would be, where they would live and what they would do should they inhabit Middle-Earth. (I see a lot of hobbits..)

LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2005 04:20
(Hey, don't blame me! *Points acusing finger at LMM*)

Ok, I have a VERY big confession to make here. Dreamdancer, Purplefluffychainsaw, and Sirithos are all addicts because of me! :cry: I have dragged them all down into this world of continuous roleplaying, through my own thread at the End of All Things (ATEOAT for short.) Instead of keeping to a quiet story line, I have put the characters through dire situations back to back, THEY HAVEN'T SLEPT A STRAIGHT NIGHT SO FAR! AND TO ADD INSULT TO INJURY, I HAVE BEEN POSTING TO REGULARLY THAT THEY TOO HAVE BEEN DRAWN INTO THIS COMPULSION TO CHECK THIS WONDERFUL SITE ALMOST TWICE A DAY!
I KNOW I am a roleplaying addict, because I have found myself actually starting to relate towards the characters in that thread, and so far I have been unable to leave Glorfindel's (my long suffering Noldor) wife alone, and I know what killing him off would do the others!

SO, you KNOW when you are a roleplaying addict when you drag yourself and all those around you in such a deep and immersing storyline, that I find myself so compelled to keep going because they have done such a damn good job! But then again, what do I have to be ashamed of? I mean, I love roleplaying with Legolas2, Aneras, PFC, dreamdancer, Liswen, and Sirithos, and I hope that after the thread finished that we can all continue to rp together!

Well I've completely lost the direction of this post, and probavly successfully confused the rest of you as well. But I just had to say that maybe being an addict to roleplaying isn't such a bad thing.
Wait, scrap, the 'maybe.'
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 05, 2005 11:39
yes. its partially your fault! I blame you!!! *points*
and yes, the threads are complete addictions o_o

but also:
YKYARPAW

when you get on the computer to do homework for college but end up rping instead

when all of your craft projects have to do with the rp world (*ahem* circlet*)

when you begin to associate even rock songs with your rp characters (my brother plays KISS while I rp.. cant help it )
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2005 04:20
Hello Purple, Dreamdancer, and LMM. Felt it was time to make my presence known here.

YKYARPAW:

Before you post you walk around and act out the actions to see if they're good enough.

You copy all of the threads posts and try to novalize them.

You keep inserting more of your RP characters into each and every thread you're in because you can't stand playing only one at a time.

I am very guilty of ALL of these.
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2005 09:31
*glares at LMM and picks up big glaive, which, in reality, is but a bamboo washing pole painted over with a rusty chopper stuck on at one end. Er... scrap the rusty chopper.*

YKYARPAW:

You *allow* people like *ahem* LMM to drag you around like that. (and enjoy it to some extent, except when *some* evil plot twists give you hypertension)

You haven't slept a straight night since the Great Plot Twist began. And exams are looming up.

You devoted a 50+ page sketchbook (double-sided) to ONE thread alone. (guess which.)

You don't really care about being addicted.
Aylaleia
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2005 05:09
YKYARPA when you fo your charrie's horoscope...and plan birthday parties...

Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 05:12
YKYARPAW:

You get mad and lash out at other people when no one posts in your threads all weekend.

*glares at Aneras*
Aylaleia
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2005 09:48
YKYARPA...

... when your charrie starts pointing things out that would make great holiday/birthday gifts for their love interest.

...when you actually buy the item and send it to the other charrie's player, with a note from your charrie.

*sigh* Welcome to the holiday season. It's going to be a RIOT!!!
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 02:22
YKYARPAW..

You call a collective "meeting" of all your rp characters to decide who's getting the boot out of the db.

You can *REALLY* blame your rp characters for your not getting your homework done... its THEIR fault, THEY made me spend two hours rping!...

You and another person work out the histories of your two characters together months before they even meet...
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 04:36
YKYARPAW...

A post you wrote brings one of your co-writer's, who claims she NEVER EVER CRIES, to tears. You knew it would affect her because YOU were crying while you were writing it (pffft - yes, I'm a sap...), but you never thought SHE would cry!!!

I have managed to achieve the impossible with my writing!

My work here is done... :love:
Aylaleia
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 06:22
(I had something in my eye...and I was hormonally and chemically imbalanced. And it was full moon. And I have more "excellent reasons." Nothing at all to do with your postie. Not a thing. Nope. Nope nope nope...I do *not* cry! :love: )

YKYARPA when (as above) your charries move you to tears yelling at their loved ones. (Yeah, this happens more than I'll ever admit to. I only admitted it this ONE TIME to prove that I am indeed Human at the cellular level....:evil: )

YKYARPA when you & your co-writers give yourselves awards for character behavior... (i.e. Longest Post Award, Dead Charrie Award, Longest/Shortest Response award (for live RP))...and *you* have most of them....

YKYARPA when you think of something that *so* classifies you as an addict and then go "Hmm. I'll have to put that in the YKYARPA thread...."

:heart: "Yes, I'm an addict. But I don't have a problem." - Gregory House, M.D. :evil:

[Edited on 10/20/2005 by Aylaleia]

[Edited on 10/20/2005 by Aylaleia]
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: October 21, 2005 09:58
YKYARPA when seeing the man who inspired one of the characters in your RP leads to days of squeeeing by all concerned and hours of comparison between said actor and the charrie involved. And declarations of undying love for the actor. Etc.

You know who are are ... :naughty:
atheniel_
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 08:01
YKYARPA when you are so inspired by the character you've made that you wish you could meet them

... when you go somewhere and suddenly recognise a setting strongly resembling somewhere you've created in a roleplay.

... You're convinced your character's your other half

... You start to speak and act like your character would.

...You get emotionally attached to your character :cry:
ReedsportDE
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 06:41
YKYARPA when,

(this has probably been done before)

You approach every situation by saying, "Now what would my RP character do?"
Aylaleia
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2005 04:56
YKYARPA when you look up counseling advice sites for one (or more) of your charries to help them cope with something.

YKYARPA when you don't want to post this sign of addiction, but do so anyway at the ribbing of your fellow addicts.

Is someone going to start that 12-Step Program any time soon? I mean, since I'm seeking counseling for my charries, I might as well seek some for myself....:love:
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2005 03:17
YKYARPAW:

- You create tons of AU's (Alternate Universes) with you own stories from about five points in your RPs.

- You write a post that winds up bing 5 pages long tat you're not going to be able to use for months...

- To start to spend less time with your girlfriend, friends, doing homework, studying for SATs, being a decent person, bathing, practicing personal hygeine... okay joking about the last three...

dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 29, 2005 06:53
YKYARPAW-

You have a long list of deadlines- exe: article for school newspaper, research essay for english, homework for psychology, plus a big art thing you promised you'd do, plus getting your wares ready for a booth at an annual holiday event that's only four days away-- but you still only want to sit on your tail and spend all your time rping.

You've mistreated your computer chair so much during your roleplaying escapades, that one day you're leaning back and the back of it just falls off, nearly dumping you onto the floor. Yup, happened to me...
Nyamh_Cresent
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2005 06:52
YKYARPAW- When you've been rping the same one for 8 years straight!
Aylaleia
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 03:38
YKYARPA...

...when people leave your messages/important mail on your keyboard, as they know that's where you're most likely to see it.

...when you keep your morning and evening things (medicine, hairbrush, purse, other regularly used stuff) at your computer desk because that's where you're always at.

one_more_addiction
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 07:33
YKARPA when you're best friend who has never read lotr can read and write in Tengwar and knows some basic Quenya, and it's all your fault.

...that same friend refused to continue a txt convo with you when you informed her that you were "maybe 2 leagues south of Auckland, as the crows of Saruman fly"

...you rewrote everything on the front of every exam paper you did in Tengwar letters.

....you have given your school, yourself, and all your freinds elvish names. (the schools name is Goralquagurth)

...and halfway through reading this thread you couldn't go on because you just HAD to go rp.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: January 15, 2006 05:59
YKYARPA when:

Your main female character misses her husband (channeled by another writer) so much (when his channeler is away) that she insists I send text messages of her undying love to his channeler's cell phone for her to relay to him...

*wonders if it's time to get them their *own* cell phones...*

URF!!! Our charries WILL be the death of us all!!! :love:
Aylaleia
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 07:35
YKYARPA when...

...you get just as excited when your charrie opens presents as they do, even when you already know what it is.

...you can attribute anything random (the color of the sunset, a pen, a hot bath, anything at all) to one or more of your own or your friend's charries.

...you wander around a store for way longer than you intend to because your charrie insists "there's something here for ___!", and they make you stay there until you find it. Then they make you buy it. They don't care how much it costs. Just buy it. Now.

And you do.

...your charrie is constantly oogling people looking for characteristics that resemble their love interest. (i.e. hair, eyes, hands, height, build.) This is especially fun in large groups with lots of people. And by fun I mean annoying. :evil:
silverdragon
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2006 04:49
YKYARPA when........
once you are done writing the battles your character faces, (wargs, orcs, anything else) you suddenly feel very tires, as though you fought those things yourself (done this on many occasions )
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: January 18, 2006 11:41
YKYARPA when...

You realize you will never have a vacation from your charries, no matter how much you might need one... :cry: :cry: :cry:
East_Emnet
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2006 02:54
YKYARPA..

..when you check for responces to your posts so much that you don't relize you are doing that when are not a part of any rp.
Aylaleia
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2006 09:45
YKYARPA...

...when you call "meetings" with your RP friends to discuss which charrie is going to date another charrie.

...when you refer to yourself as "we" during said meeting, because you're speaking for not only yourself, but more than one character.

...when you eject certain characters from said meeting for not being serious about the issue.

...when your character makes you miserable being sent off on an errand he doesn't want to go on because he'll miss his boyfriend.

...when you futilely try and convince your charrie (Gelir) that another charrie (Ro) is not *really* a boyfriend, but more of a "friendly friend", because "boyfriend" implies "commitment", and that's not what either of them want or are capable of. {Gel: But MOOOM! I *love* him! And he loves me! He said so! Mom: Darling, no. You can't commit and neither can he. He didn't mean it "like that". You can be friends, that's all. Gel: But but but *cries*...}

...when you can't wait to meet with your RP friends IRL (again!) so you can write more LiveRP in the same room drinking tea and laughing at your charries.

...when it's so close to the time to meet your RP friends that you postpone any further writing with them so you can paint and clean the house, buy all new furniture and do your laundry so they have a place to sleep when they get here (and so you can have a place to write some more).

...when you realize you probably won't get all that much writing done when they do get here because you'll be too busy laughing to write.
Aylaleia
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2006 05:24
YKYARPA...

...when you watch select scenes in the LOTR films because "your character was there!" (i.e. Helm's Deep, Pelennor, Muster of Rohan)

(Sorry for the double post, but I just thought of this one and didn't feel like editing!)
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email