Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: You Know You're A Roleplaying Addict - Reloaded
on: June 29, 2005 12:09
YKYARPAW you have a friend who is also a member and instead of phoning you or e-mailing you to arrange to meet up, she PM's you because she knows that you'll cet it as you are never doing anything else but RPing and generally surfing CoE!
Lady~Shay
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2005 05:03
YKYARPAW...

...you practically (or for some, are) crying when THE *perfect* ending comes along in your RPG...and you know its time to make it end because ppl are slowly dwindling and you're so desperately afraid of watching it fizzle out and die...

...you immediately plan a sequel

Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2005 08:03
OMG I had to post. This happened to me about an hour or so ago... ><

YKYARPAW your chinese (yes, chinese!) essay is about one of the RPGs you're in. Characters, place-names, and all. (Translated. Which was really hard on my dictionary and what was left of my sanity, but...)

(It wasn't supposed to happen, I swear! We had some surprise essay test and I was clean out of ideas after my math test and well... Like I said, I'm addicted.)
merry07ushs
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2005 06:15
YKYARPAW when you talk to other people as if the characters are real and your friends and it all really happened.
Iceman331
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2005 06:23
YKYARPAW you go to page 30 of the forum and try to ressurect a thred from 2 years back.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 02, 2005 01:02
YKYARPAW you go to the rp index here on CoE, and you have made the most recent posts in the TT, TR and OOC forums... and it stays that way for a while. 0-o yup, this just happened to me. aag!
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2005 03:23
YKYARPAW you go to a well dressing at a prak near you and, with all the flowers and nightlights about you can't help but think of Elves... and Hobbits with the music... and the pool in TTT when Gollum nearly gets shot just cause it looks so much like it.
Man, I saw that and knew that i really need help! lmao!
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 04, 2005 07:58
YKYARPAW...
you accidently refer to the people in your thread by the names of their characters
Tajien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2005 03:32
YKYARPAW:

....you boost one of your younger characters and a character around the same age of a friend's a few years and write a short story of how they fall in love, even if it's not worked its way onto paper yet ^_^

....you find that when you see some poor random person on the street, you say to them, "hey, my character's got hair like you...."

....you brag about your characters to other people until they tell you to shut up or exit out of msn just to get away from you ^_^
Tajien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2005 05:56
sorry to post twice but I just thought of another one!

YKYARPAW:

....you start using words like "broth" for soup and other such things.

....someone asks you where a person went and you answer without thinking, "oh, he had to battle some orcs" or "thought he'd go for an ale at the inn down the road," when neither of which are true.

[Edited on 5/7/2005 by Tajien]
Aylaleia
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2005 07:40
Wheee!! Glad to see so many peeps having fun with this thread!!

YKYARPA...

...when you've been too busy to post in the YKYARPA thread that *you* started, because you're busy RPing.

...when you alter your sleep habits dramatically so you can RP with people overseas or in different timezones.

...when the first thing people ask when they call you on the phone is "Are you writing??" ("Writing" is a term I use to hide my addiction...did someone mention a "RP Anon" meeting??? I totally need 12-Steps here...)

...when you have things timelined to months...then weeks...then days...then hours...just so you can keep your charries on the straight and narrow.

...when even a Random Character (i.e. messenger, bartender) wants his/her own timeline/pic/DB entry/backstory/more page time....

...when a little idea turns into a major plot point...and you have to alter the timeline/move worlds to get it to work because it's so awesome.

...when you respond just as well to your charrie's name as you do to your own. (Sad for me on this one...even my Hubby is starting to call me by my charrie's name....)

...when you find yourself looking at people going "OMG! That is *so* ____!" And wishing you had a camera to take their pic...and wishing they wouldn't think you're a dork for taking said pic....

...when you keep paper and pen hand for Evil Ideas/YKYARPA thoughts everywhere...especially the bathroom.

...when you and your RP buddies have an entire Word doc full of acronyms you all made up, and can have entire conversations in three-to-five letters.

...when your charrie rants at you all day and you finally have to write whatever they tell you to down, even if you'll never use it because they "just need to vent!"

Okay...that's enough. I'm sure there are more that will come up eventually...you can't keep a good addict down.

"Hi, I'm Ayla, and I'm an RP addict. I started using about 2 years ago, in a thread called 'The New Dragonbreath Inn"...."

Cheers,
Aylaleia - Goddess of Justice and Vengeance
(and RP addict)
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: July 05, 2005 06:37
"Hi, I'm, um *insert RP charrie name* and I'm not an RP addict, no way, never, I do NOT need help I can stop at any time!!!" :love:

YKYARPA...

... when you make out your grocery list and forget it because you were thinking about a new charrie... Arrrrrrrgggghhh!!!

[Edited on 8/7/2005 by NenyaGold]
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: July 05, 2005 06:43
YKYARPA...

... when your avi is a South Park version of one of your charries and every time you see it you can't help but burst into giggles
Tajien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2005 01:25
YKYARPAW:
(to add on to a previous one)
....you reply more often to your character's name than your own, or maybe it's that you don't reply to your real name at all.
whitegoldgoddess15
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2005 03:24
You know you're addicted to role play when...

You have severe mood swings and people think you're bipolar, but you're just upset because you've been forcefully dragged away from your computer and can't role play right that second...

You reread and reread and reread your entry, because you feel it should be perfect so your character doesn't get embarassed because you can't spell...

You wake up and check the forum (and your email) before you eat breakfast, or even get dressed...

You wish your character was real so you could go play tennis, but then are glad they aren't because you know they would whoop you sooo bad...

Everytime you do something stupid, you are glad that your character isn't real, so they wouuldn't see you making a fool of yourself...

You fall asleep imagining different ways for your thread to end and wake up and continue them, just because the were so much fun...

Your friends have stopped calling you because all you talk about is role playing...

And your parents have noticed a steady decline in your health because all you do is sit in the basement, in front of the computer, and then when they say anything, yuo reply in Elvish about how that isn't nice, you were just in a great battle, etc...

Guilty on some but not all, and this thread is hilarious!! Luv it!:love:
Fearinox
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2005 01:17
Your addicted when...
you add in bits of elvish when speaking without even realising it,using words like 'ada' and 'mellon' etc just like your character

Im guilty heh..

[Edited on 6/7/2005 by Fearinox]
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: July 06, 2005 06:47
YKYARPAW when - just as you are booting your computer first thing in the morning - your power goes out - and there's nothing you can do but pace the house aimlessly until it comes back on. - And, when it does come back on - four hours later, you scurry online, and are quite disappointed that not *one* of your RPG's has a new post. :cry::cry:
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 06, 2005 07:38
YKYARPA...

...You have one or more folders designated to *each* of your RP characters on your computer and all the RP's they've been in are copied there, as well as their bio which you are constantly working on and several pictures

... You have a line from an RP as your MSN name :blush:

...It isn't even a line you used.

...50% or more of your contacts on MSN are RPers

...You have your own RPing site...

...And you sob and plug it when no one posts on it. *Ahemsigahem*

...You start things just because your RP does them

...You make a costume of your RP characters clothes and wear them most of the time

...When you met your b/friend RPing :love:

And yes I am guilty of all these and about 90% of the ones that you guys have posted.

[Edited on 6/7/2005 by purplefluffychainsaw]
Lady~Shay
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2005 01:50
YKYARPAW...

...you are *still* checking back on a thread that FINISHED, thinking that someone might have posted

...you are spending countless late nights cutting, pasting, editing, spell-checking, fixing sentances, and properly ordering paragraphs of a Microsoft Word copy of your RPG so that you can give it to others

...you consider the above Microsoft Word copy of the RPG part of your English hw because its 'Creative Writing'

(once again, guilty of all )

lol @ several of the last few comments....these are great!
Antanel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2005 02:10
YKYARPAW...

You speak about yourself in the third person and commentate on everything you do in a dramatic manner.

You complain to your friends who barely know what an RPG is about how the thread you started has died. And they just shake their heads at you. *guilty*

You made your first CoE friend by posting in an RPG. *guilty...it's all Shay's fault! *

You sit in front of the computer and refresh the Roleplaying thread page for five minutes straight, just in case someone has posted...then repeat after five minutes of idling. *so guilty, it's not funny*

Nel :love:
Tajien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2005 04:05
(I do that all the time, Ayl! that last one you said! lol!)
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2005 10:22
YKYARPA (or at least an LOTRA) when you find a nice little cordial thing with honey and nice things in it and mentally name it miruvor.

That cordial then gives you much needed inspiration for a post that has eluded you for a few days and has been making you feel guilty.
LizzyB
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2005 02:51
YKYARPA

When your kittens name is Elvish (Stephen stop pulling Dunen's tail!!)

Most of your pms consist of Joint posts in the making

You get hyper over said joint posts

Your best friend who has never rp'ed know ; what a Mary-Sue is, which of your 40 different characters are in use currently, and who their love interests are and why

You drag your brother/friend/whomever into rping and live to regret it

You hook up with someone on two (or more) different rps on two (or more) different sites. (subtle wink at Gwen)
Lady~Shay
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2005 03:42
You made your first CoE friend by posting in an RPG. *guilty...it's all Shay's fault! *

hey, i could so say the same for you!

YKYARPAW...

...you are *still* thinking in the mindset of your chara for a very long time after you have finished posting...or are finished with the thread...

...you judge the author based on the chara they play, and wonder if that is at all what they are like in life

...your fave chara is one who is somehow like yourself, but has everything you have ever wanted (i.e. pointed ears, dif. colour eyes, ability to shoot/fight)

...you spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to find the perfect name for your chara

...you are *still* searching for a pic of a chara you have used, and are finished with because none of them look quite right (helpful hint for others: decide on a pic BEFORE you get to know your chara...it really helps!)

guilty of the above
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 20, 2005 12:34
YKYARPAW...

you can't handle the suspense of a certain thread, so you go ahead and write a story of what *could* happen, only to erase it afterwards so it doesnt really interfere with your rping.

you spend lots of time thinking about the past and future of your characters- and when you started thinking about their death, you got such a look on your face that someone asked what was wrong
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2005 11:45
Fairly obvious I know but YKYARPAW the prospect of being computerless for a week, no matter how fun the reason, has the power to cause you physical pain.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 25, 2005 08:51
YKYARPAW..

You get online and no one has posted (DARNIT!) so you go back and read the entire thread, or just your own posts, hoping that someone will get online and post while you're reading.

You are ashamed of your characters when they do something bad.
whitegoldgoddess15
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2005 02:24
You know you're addicted when you base all of your characters off of your friends/family/self, just so that you can pretend that you are all really said characters and all of you are on a big adventure to destroy/return the one-size-too-small shirt to Mount Abercrombie

*Guilty!*
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 29, 2005 07:21
YKYARPAW...

...you have a routine of websites to go through when you log on and the first four out of six are RPing websites, or sites you RP on.

...you watch films/listen to music because it's the kind of thing that you can see your RPcharacter watching/listening to.

...you catch your self talking to your RP characters. :blush:
LizzyB
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2005 04:49
YKYARPAW . . . . You return from a week away and have to hold back tears when you log onto your various rp sites . . . . guilty

You enter a storytelling contest with telling the history of one of your chars . . . . Guilty again

You walk up to a random person and say "You look just like (fill in the name of chara)

But Joel REALLY did look like Aaron I swear!!!! The resemblance was remarkable
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 06, 2005 12:49
When your character does something evil, you actually do an evil laugh... even though no one is around to hear it. 0_o

you spend hours online, posting and waiting/hoping someone else will post

you've learned what time of day the others in your thread post, so you know when to check... but of course, you check all the time anyway, 'just in case'

Your mood starts changing depending on what happens in your rp... exe. someone dies, you go around all sad, something happens that causes unbelievable suspense, you walk around in shock... XD

you're embarassed for your character when he/she does something silly, even though you made him/her do it 0_o
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 07, 2005 09:01
You end up getting so agitated over something mysterious/ cliff hanger-y that those you live with notice and send you online to try and calm you down.
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2005 11:13
Just something I think I ought to bring to the attention of people who can, and I quote, "Stay up for 40 hours straight Roleplaying."
A chap in, I think, Korea died after internet gaming for 50 hours straight. He stopped for odd cat-naps and loo breaks but it is thought that minutes after he finished he suffered a heart attack stemming from exhaustion.
So there you go all RPA's, our passion comews with a health warning!
Scary!
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: August 10, 2005 11:26
YKYARPAW:

When you're having one of those 'absolutely horrible, no-good, very bad' days - and what gets you through them is your RPG's. :rolling:

Except that you're waiting for someone else to post in almost all of them, and you can't! :cry:
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 10, 2005 06:44
YKYARPAW...

You're expecting a certain situation to come up in the thread, where you'll have to write a post with intense emotions or acrions exe sadness, joy, anger, battle scene, death scene... and you write and re-write the post in your mind weeks before you actually get the chance to post it

when said situation arrives, you sit and stare at the computer screen, actually do a little stretching, getting yourself 'prepared' for the 'big post'.

you get fidgety if you can't check your thread within 10 hours
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email