Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
Post OOC: Eyes of Thorongil - Semi-scripted (KEEP)
on: June 01, 2005 06:01
Eyes of Thorongil

Quote from Elrond's Encyclopedia:
In TA 2979 Aragorn, using the alias Thorongil, led a force from Gondor that managed to the destroy almost the entire fleet of the Corsairs at the Havens of Umbar.

Plotline:

Date: TA 2978 (41 years before the War of the Ring)
Place: The Havens of Umbar

Aragorn, under the name of Thorongil, is preparing for an assault on the Corsairs. In order to try and gain information that might be advantageous to his cause, Thorongil is attempting to 'infiltrate' the Corsair City with some of his own men. Their purpose is to spy, return information, and - if possible - to take over at least one Corsair ship to be used in the assault.

To that end, a ranger has been sent to Dol Amroth, in search of someone with seafaring knowledge who might be willing to help. They... are the 'Eyes of Thorongil'...

The parts of the seafarer and the ranger have been cast, but there is room for both bad guys and good guys. Some examples of parts might be messenger(s), the captain and a few crew members of the Corsair(s) to be overtaken, people (perhaps) who are willing to help the intrepid infiltrators, people who are suspicious, etc.

Thorongil (Aragorn), isn't really going to be a 'part', specifically, except in passing - and/or at the very end when the assault takes place, since he (of course) leads it.

My character is Gareth Silverlake, his profile is here.

This RPG is 'semi-scripted', since it will culminate with a 'known' event - the near-destruction of the Corsair Fleet. What happens up to that point, however, is where the fun is. Ideas for plot twists and turns, intrigues, etc., are welcome, and can be discussed here in the OOC.

I'd like to keep this somewhat compact, and would prefer RP'ers who are going to post regularly. RL is totally understood, but I'd like to keep it moving.

Also, I would prefer RP'ers to write decent-length posts - no 'one-liners', please. :angel:

I should have an 'intro' post done before long - I'm hoping it will be in TT, but if our wonderful RP Mods prefer - I'll start it in TR. Either way, I'd like this to be as close to TT as possible.

If you're interested, please either post here, or PM me, gwendeth.

[Edited on 2/10/2010 by BerethEdhellen]
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: OOC: Eyes of Thorongil - Semi-scripted (KEEP)
on: June 01, 2005 07:13
ahoy! I'm playing Naden, the (tall) appointed ranger. His profile can be seen here>> http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=RPG&file=index&action=viewcharacter&rpgid=5052

[Edited on 2/6/2005 by dreamdancer]
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 04:49
Mind if I join? I think Daerhil would work nicely. His profile is here: http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=RPG&file=index&action=viewcharacter&rpgid=4420
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 05:16
:hello: Hi, Salkiethia! Daerhil seems like a cool character! What kind of part would you like?
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 08:45
One spy, reporting for duty.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 09:02
Sal! welcome aboard!
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 09:13
Why thank you, DD. I do believe you meant that quite literally, if I'm not mistaken.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 09:14
Absolutely!! Ahoy, fellow spy!
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 09:58
'I spy with my little eye....'
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 11:43
Hey hey Gwen....you know I'd love to be a part of this. Are most of the chars men (as in no elves, orcs, etc.) or what is the scope of players? I will have to make up a char because, as you know, I hate seeing my same char being used in 15 different plotlines....makes no sense to me. So let me know what kind of players you need and I'll create a body to fill the need.

Bereth
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 12:09
Hey there!!

Well - we do have one elf (Salkiethia's char) and one half-elf (mine). I'd think the rest really ought to be men, though, you're right about that.

So far (or when we get it going as of this point) we have 3 spies. We will (I think) as I mentioned in the first post, probably need some 'sympathizers' to the spies 'cause' - as well as some bad guys (the/a Corsair captain, and possibly some crew) - perhaps even the leader of Corsair City?

Note - so far there aren't any female characters - I don't have any problem with whether any character is male/female, with the exception that neither elf nor female would be an official 'Ranger' as defined by JRRT's writings. They could be a ranger-type if that helps.

There will also be the dangerous job of messenger(s). Somehow, the info gathered has to be taken back to Thorongil (Aragorn) so he's got a 'clue' as to what's going on in Corsair City... and to help coordinate the attack from without with the 'infiltrators' inside.

Does that help any? I don't want to be too 'restrictive', but yet keep it within the TT guidelines.

We'd be glad to have you, beretheldhellen!
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 03:45
Hey, Gwen. I've added my first post to the main thread. Check out Dauron in the DB. He may not care about much other than fishing, family, friends and ale, but there's some bad history in his family with the Corsairs. He may be inspired to take up his father's cause and thus be a great help to the cause of Thorongil at the same time. Whaddya think?

Bereth
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
adriel_aroura
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 04:28
Hi everyone! I read the thread and it looks interesting, and I'd very much like to join. I'm thinking, that if allowed, I will play a bad guy (perhaps he/she will turn good later, but of course it's up to you^.~) I've never played a bad guy before, and for some reason the idea struck me as I read your thread and now I'm filled with ideas! I will, of course, make up the char... I've got no chars right now that are evil and particularly sea-loving...^.^

I'm thinking this, if I'm allowed to post: I may play the role of the daughter of the Corsair captain (is that allowed? :dizzy: ) There will have been some trickle of a rumor that Aragorn is planning to ambush the Corsairs, and instead of taking chances, the Captain will send out his clever daughter to see if the rumor is true, and to do something about it if it is. So thus I'll be going about the port, and then slipping in the bar for a drink- and overhearing some bit of the talk going on. Not enough to prove anything, of course, but just to make me suspicious of you guys- and then I'll do something devilish to try and stop you before you guys can go on further. ::muahahaha:: :evil:

About turning good perhaps later- I meant that, as of course I will be on the ships, fighting, etc. etc. I am either helped by one of you and some sort of friendship happens- or maybe I even see Aragorn and fall in love with him? :twitch: 0.o.... and then I'll be tormented enough~! To help my friends or my father?

hmm...I think that should add some "plot twists and turns" to the thread! ^.~ ....So lol, would that be alright then?

~addie

[Edited on 3/6/2005 by adriel_aroura]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 05:51
Awesome, berethed!!! - And, welcome, adriel_aroura! Those sound like neat ideas!

It will take the 'infiltrators' a little time to get down to Umbar... but perhaps getting some 'background' in Corsair City would be good... Just one thing though, no one knows that Aragorn is Thorongil - it's an 'assumed' name, so Aragorn as himself wouldn't be under suspicion. - In fact (though I may be 'wrong' here), I think the only one that actually knows 'who' Aragorn is, would be Elrond [if not Arwen] ("historically speaking") - lol, and he's not talking!

It also might be that the first 'whisper' of this is an accidental 'slip' by one of the spies. (?)

Thoughts, folks?
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 06:25
Naden knows that aragorn is really aragorn, right?
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 06:27
Reading Adriel's post, I had an immediate reaction. Let me toss it to both her and you. Dauron's DB post says he's a handsome guy who likes the ladies but none enough to make it permanent. He's looking for his soulmate. How about if the Corsair's daughter is in the tavern where Gareth, Dauron and the ranger are sitting and talking about .. whatever. She catches Dauron's eye and he catches hers. She arranges to run into him, they meet, they become attracted to each other (much to the chagrin of the Corsair's daughter) then ... when Dauron has become smitten, he finds out who she is and is not only heartbroken but also feels, for the first time in his life, his father's fury at the Corsairs. She in turn does not want to lose him and tries to undo what she has started and become an honest woman. LOL How about it, Adriel? Does that appeal to you? Man, this one theme could carry on for pages during the plotline. I'm willing if you are.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 07:42
heehee!! *rubs hands* See what I mean? Plenty of room for twists/turns/subplots and lots of fun!! *waits patiently for Adriel's answer... :angel:
Naden knows that aragorn is really aragorn, right?

This is what Elrond's Encyclopedia has to say about Thorongil:
Thorongil, the 'Eagle of the Star', was an alias taken by Aragorn in his youth, when he left Imladris after learning his true lineage.

As Thorongil he served both Thengel of Rohan, Théoden’s father, and Ecthelion II, the current Steward of Gondor and Denethor's father. He came to be called Thorongil by the men of Gondor "for he was swift and keen-eyed, and wore a silver star upon his cloak...". He was accounted a great captain of Men.

Thorongil became a trusted counsellor to Ecthelion II, who was known to love Thorongil above all others of his Men.

He was also an essential part of the overthrow of the Haven of the Rebels in Umbar. After the defeat of the rebels, Thorongil did not return to Minas Tirith. All of the Men who lived there were saddened and felt it a great loss.

There's nothing really, to say that Thorongil was 'known' by any other name by anyone exept the elves of Rivendell.

Again, this is taking place 41 years before the War of the Ring. There is (at 'this time') not any reason for anyone to think (or 'know') that Thorongil is really Aragorn son of Arathorn if you take my meaning.

However - lol, and I have no problem with it - if you would like to have Naden know 'who' Thorongil really is, that's fine with me.

But, whether Naden 'knows' that Thorongil is Aragorn (or not) wouldn't have any bearing on the assault of the Corsair Fleet, or in persuading anyone to help them. If he does, it is not something Naden would tell anyone at all, and probably, would have been sworn to secrecy by Aragorn.

Ai! heh - a very rambling way to say if you want him to - go ahead, but it wouldn't be written anywhere unless it is in Naden's private thoughts... and I'm hoping this answer doesn't sound 'overbearing' or 'controlling' or anything - It's certainly not meant to. As I've mentioned, I'd just like to keep this TT.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 03, 2005 01:21
well of course, if my guy did know, he wouldn't tell anyone I"ll ponder it for a little while. if it ever is mentioned, then Naden will only be thinking it to himself, so I don't know if it would have any large impact on the whole story.

twisty plot ideas! *yay*
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 03, 2005 03:37
Two things... first, I went back and edited to correct the name of Gareth's fishing-boat... it's the Elanor V... (duh!). Obviously, I couldn't count... :rolling:

Second, Flash has PM'd me with interest on joining us, too.

So... we'll see what happens... more possible plot twisties! :evil:

Now... *waits patiently for Salkie to post so I can again* :angel:

[Edited on 3/6/2005 by gwendeth]
Eärnil_Captain_Of_Gondor
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 03, 2005 07:59
I hope there's still place for an able-bodied seafarer from Lamedon? I'll be Eäthor, if that's okay.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 03, 2005 09:13
ARgh!! Stupid computer! I had this all ready to post, and then lost it - twice!! :killcomp:

Ok... hopefully, I'm 'remembering' everything here, and the third time's the 'charm'!!

But - welcome, Eärnil! What are your thoughts about Eäthor? A good guy, or a bad guy? We will need sea-farers, that's certain. Do you have a profile up yet?

Are you thinking of a/the Corsair captain? Or is Eäthor one who might help with taking over a/the Corsair? Or, lol, is he/she perhaps a member of either Gareth's crew or Dauron's?

Lots of questions, I know! Let me know your thoughts on this!

One thing: I'm proposing that the 'infiltrators' travel to Umbar on Gareth's fishing boat. It's large enough to accomodate 'passengers', but yet, small enough not to attract 'undue notice'. I didn't think of it before... but the Captain of the Elanor V might be an idea for someone...

:feedback:
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 03, 2005 01:37
I know the feeling my computer has evil tendancies as well...
I have no ideas at the moment. if all else fails I can play two characters.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: June 03, 2005 01:50
I thought Gareth WAS the Captain of Elanor V...aren't you playing Gareth? I'm sooooo confooozled. And where is the love of my life...who is going to betray me? LOL
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 03, 2005 02:22
lol!! Gareth is the owner of the Elanor V. heehee! He can captain it, but doesn't.

We haven't heard back yet from her - or from Eärnil... if she's not interested, we'll figure out something/someone! :evil:
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: June 03, 2005 02:29
No reason why Dauron can't 'Captain' the Elanor....he is a Captain of his own ship but it's one of a fleet of his father's...his first mate could take over guiding the Flying Gull if Dauron needs to be somewhere else....like on an adventure of his own. *smiling*
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 03, 2005 02:36
Hmmm - that's a thought. heh he'd just need to remember that Gareth's 'top dog' as the owner. :evil:

Usually, Gareth leaves the crew to their own business - they know he's got a sharp eye on them anyway, and would step in if he saw them doing something he didn't like. He's got a good crew that way. Gareth is just as likely to be helping haul up the nets or in the masts or whatever to help them out, and they know it. It's a fine line between 'interfering' and 'not', if you take my meaning.

eeks - am I making any sense? :twitch:
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: June 03, 2005 02:46
As I said in my PM, Dauron could offer his vessel and Gareth and the unnamed elf (and whoever else happens to join) could sail as passengers (as a cover for Dauron's reason to be anywhere in the southern areas on the Flying Gull). Gareth and 'elf' could be traveling as ostensibly trade ministers or something. I'm not writing clearly as I'm tired but hope y'all know what I mean.

Bereth
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2005 03:20
I think I'm following this. Um, berethedhellen, could you provide a trans for the Elvish? I'm not that adept... :cry:
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 03, 2005 03:36
I didn't see berethedhellen online...

"Man eneth lín, mellon nin?" just means "What is your name, my friend?"
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: June 03, 2005 04:47
Oops, sorry, Sal...I forgot to put the translation in my post. Thank you, Gwen, for adding it here but I also edited my post to include it for anyone else who didn't know. Told you I'm tired today....making stupid errors. I'll try to be good in the future. LOL
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2005 10:22
Thanks, berethedhellen.
adriel_aroura
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2005 07:11
hi! hi! Oh, I'm so sorry that I didn't post yesterday and all... I had a big test all day today and I had to study for it all day yest... So I couldn't get online. Sorry again!

lol, if you get what I'm trying to say

~~~~
ok, Bereth... sounds great! Then I shall make my charrie Rielle "catch your eye" soon... so srry for the delay!

Rielle's bio shall go up soon- I made her up just for this...

k, then; dramatic twists coming up!

~addie

btw, you guys sure post fast! ^.~

[Edited on 5/6/2005 by adriel_aroura]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 05, 2005 03:54
Glad to know you're still with us, adriel!

Hmmm... I think we're just trying to get things 'set up'... :blush:

Now... I think we need to get some 'reactions' from some chars... and it looks like we need to get down to the dock!

adriel - do you know 'when'/'where' you'll bring your char in? :angel:
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: June 05, 2005 06:29
While I don't want to hang out in a bar forever (LOL), I think that would be the logical place for Rielle to cross paths (or eyes) with Dauron for the first time. So if Adriel can post soon, then we can finish our conversation and move on down to the docks. I suspect that's where we will somehow meet up with Earnil as well, yes?
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 05, 2005 08:31
That sounds logical to me. And that's what I'm thinking also... heh, perhaps Eäthos is overhearing a 'friendly discussion' between Gareth and Dauron over 'whose' ship they should take. (??) :evil:
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email