Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
Post RE: Eyes of Thorongil (Semi-scripted - please see OOC) [KEEP]
on: July 16, 2005 03:17
Dauron watched as Calwyn climbed the stairs to her room, feeling an immediate sense of loss, an empty space in his heart. He sighed and stepped out of the Inn, staring up and down the street wondering what he should do first. It was only mid-morning and he had the day before him and many errands to run before nightfall. Yet all he could think of was that it was an entire day without Calwyn. Shaking off these thoughts, he began to focus on the things he needed to do. He set off with long strides up the hill into the upper class residential area of town, and eventually entered through a tall set of beautifully crafted iron gates, following the way to an elegant house that sat on the top of the hill overlooking the ocean. His cousin, Berethion, threw the front door open and ran down to meet Dauron, clasping both of the sea captain's shoulders in his long-fingered, graceful hands.

"Cousin, I expected you yesterday. Are you alright? Is all well with you?" Berethion grabbed Dauron's arm and led him towards the house and then through the intricately carved oak double door into the cool interior. Dauron looked around at his surroundings, pleased with what he saw. His Aunt and Uncle, his mother's sister and brother-in-law, were his favorite relatives and Berethion and he had grown up together so he had spent much time in the lovely house. For Dauron, it was a home away from home and he, rather than his cousin, led the way to the back of the house and into the cooking area, where he grabbed some fruit and cheese from the table.

"How are your mother and father, Reth? I have come to invite them to my parents anniversary party. You, of course, must come as well. My sister has the most beautiful new friend that I think you would like to meet." They both grinned at each other...it was an ongoing joke with them, always teasing each other about finding the perfect mate. Berethion asked the obvious question.

"If she is so beautiful, why have you not acted upon it? What's wrong with her that you're not telling me? She is beautiful but....what? She is not terribly bright and has difficulty recognizing a potato from an apple? She has a voice like a harridan? What?" He was laughing until he noticed Dauron was not. His red-headed cousin was staring into space, a soft smile on his face. "Dauron?" he said, shaking his arm. Dauron's eyes snapped back to normal and he grinned happily.

"Reth, I have found that perfect woman we neither of us ever thought we'd find. I want you to meet her before we leave."

"Leave? Where are you going? You just docked....and I thought we would have time together." Berethion suddenly caught it, "Wait a minute...who is this ' we' you're talking about?"

Dauron pulled his cousin out the back door to a shaded stone patio where they both sat upon the stone benches placed under the trees. He told Berethion about Naden and the joint agreement between Naden, Gareth, Daerhil and himself to do some...research.. in the Umbar region to determine whether there was any plan on the part of the Corsairs to attack Minas Tirith. He was serious during this explanation but then his eyes brightened and his lips curled upward.

"The best news is that I can bring Calwyn with us. Gareth said it would be alright if I kept her blind to our true reason for sailing but that should not be a problem. This is her first time on the open sea so I'm certain that will be her only interest. Can you imagine how exciting it will be for her...and for me, to be able to show her this and share it with her?" His eyes were gleaming with an inner joy. Berethion watched his cousin closely, questioning this change in his playboy cousin. The more he thought about it, the less he liked it. It was as though this woman had weaved a spell around Dauron and it made him uncomfortable. He made up his mind at once.

"Dauron, I am coming with you. Both our families were cursed by the Corsairs in times past and I want to help with this venture." He hid his true reason which was to guard his cousin from disaster. Dauron looked at Berethion and grinned.

"Why not, cousin? Another wild adventure for the pair of us, right? Let's go down to the pier and talk to Gareth....right now. Oh, you have only returned from a mission. What will Aunt and Uncle think? Well, nevermind, we'll worry about that later." Looking at the sky, he judged the time and pointed out to Berethion. "I think we'll find Gareth at his favorite eatery...The Sea Wing." Jumping to his feet, he pulled Berethion to his. They both headed for town and when they reached the Sea Wing, Dauron entered first, his eyes searching the other diners, finally catching sight of Gareth....and Naden....at a table in the far corner. Tugging Berethion along, he found himself at the side of the table, smiling down at the pair.

"We have another volunteer."
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 16, 2005 04:03
"Well?" Gareth asked, watching Naden 'dive in' to his food. "Was I right?"

Naden looked up with a grin, and appeared quite humerous since his mouth was full of food. He had a full plate of potatos, some kind of roasted bird, greens, and a bowl of soup, along with several peices of bread. An iced pastry sat there as well, for desert.
After swallowing the mouthful, he nodded.
"Yes, quite right. I've been in many taverns in many places, and I assure you that this meal is high ranking."
He took another bite, just as Daeron showed up, hauling someone else beside him.

Naden just looked at them, chewing silently, and waited for Gareth to reply.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: July 17, 2005 04:57
Tugging Berethion along, he found himself at the side of the table, smiling down at the pair.

Gareth looked up at Dauron... and, "Berethion!" he exclaimed, and a wide smile spread on his face. Jumping up, he clasped arms with the newcomer in the way of elven-warriors. "You are well come, indeed!" Gareth went on, and waved them both to seats.

Turning to the Ranger, the half-elven fisherman made the introductions. "Naden - this is Berethion, Dauron's rascally cousin - Ber... Naden - and..." he gazed at the Flying Gull's Captain, "I'm assuming then, you've 'told' him?" and recieved a nod in reply.

"Naden," Gareth leaned towards the Ranger, "he'll be a good addition - I'll vouch for Berethion as much as Dauron will. Now... Ber... we're leaving at four in the morning tomorrow - so we'll spend the night on the Elanor..."
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 20, 2005 09:59
"Naden," Gareth leaned towards the Ranger, "he'll be a good addition - I'll vouch for Berethion as much as Dauron will. Now... Ber... we're leaving at four in the morning tomorrow - so we'll spend the night on the Elanor..."

Naden nodded and returned to his meal-- if Gareth trusted this newcomer on his ship, then the ranger would as well. They needed the extra help either way.

After a while longer, Naden sat back in the chair, smiling from over an empty plate. He was quite satisfied- he hardly ever got the chance to dine in places such as this- his meals were usually prepared in the wild by his own hands-- this was an exquisite change.
"You have wonderful taste," he said to Gareth, wiping at his mouth with a napkin. "Where to now? Back to the ship, or do you have other business to see to?"\

(a nothing post... heeeelp! )
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: July 21, 2005 04:15
Dauron was glad Gareth welcomed Berethion to sail with them. He was feeling more and more ..... what? .... uncomfortable? .... about being but a passenger on a ship. He had captained his own ships for his entire adult life and he was concerned he'd feel the urge to call out to the men when he saw something in need of doing...overriding the rights of Gareth. Having Berethion at his side would keep him in line, of that he had no doubt. For a split second, he realized he had been looking forward to the camaradarie of his boyhood friends and the bonding of the men, and had completely forgotten about Calwyn.

He sat at the table, listening to Gareth and Ber discussing some story of a ship that had sunk off the reef on the western shores, and watching Naden quietly watching while devouring his meal. He noticed that Naden seemed particularly fond of the potatoes and smiled, leaning closer to comment to the Ranger about how difficult it was to get potatoes here on the southern coast.

"Perhaps we should stock a bushel of these before we leave. I am particularly fond them myself." He was getting excited about leaving and glanced at Gareth.

"What time do you look to be pulling anchor in the morning, Gareth? I have a few more tasks to tend to before we leave and Ber!, don't you need to pack a few things? Why don't we leave and attend to our business and leave these good men to finish their meal?"

When they had all their questions answered, they both rose from the table and left the restaurant. Outside, Ber grinned at him and punched his arm, getting his attention at once.

"Did you not notice the serving girl, my dear cousin? I do believe it must truly be love of Calwyn as that's the first time in history your eyes passed right over a lovely wench. I cannot wait to meet this paragon."

And you will, Ber, you will. I am having dinner with her tonight. Why don't you join us?" Dauron named the Inn and they agreed to meet at a given hour, earlier than normal for dinner but they would have to rise very early the next morning in order to meet the tide that would carry them from the harbour and out to sea. Ber went off on his own chores and Dauron went into the middle of town, stopping at various small stores to make his purchases. He was finished in time to head for the Inn and arrange for a room for the night, or at least that part of it he would have left to rest before heading for the piers.

((OOC: Sorry so short and unimaginative....long day, I'm tired)
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
gwendeth
Send Message
on: July 22, 2005 03:39
After telling Dauron and Ber they'd be setting sail at 4 in the morning, the two left, and Gareth turned back to Naden. The Ranger looked well-pleased with his meal.
"You have wonderful taste," he said to Gareth, wiping at his mouth with a napkin. "Where to now? Back to the ship, or do you have other business to see to?"

The half-elf grinned. "Back to the ship. I've got to send Allon off for that bushel of potatoes, for one thing. - But also, I always check the ship thoroughly before sailing... even if we did just dock day before yesterday. You're welcome to join me - or," Gareth grinned, "take a nap if you'd like. There's nothing like being 'rocked' to sleep by gentle waves..."

With that said, the two rose, and headed back to the Elanor. The afternoon passed quickly, and by dusk, all was in readiness. The answer to 'where' they'd be eating dinner was well-noticable by the tempting aromas wafting from the ship's galley... for the crewman who doubled as cook had not some small talent with cooking pots.

When Naden looked at Gareth questioningly, the Elanor's Captain grinned mischievously. "He was trained at the 'Sea Wing'," Gareth explained, "but had too great a love of sailing to stay land-bound. I was just lucky enough to be in port when he came around looking for work. We'll eat well on this trip, my friend - very, very well..."
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: July 23, 2005 05:39
When Dauron had established a room for himself, having remembered to collect his bag, he bathed and dressed quickly for the evening ahead. He had just completed his ablutions when there was a knock on the door. Opening it, he greeted his cousin, who was looking as elegant as only an elf could look.

"Well, Dauron, let us go and meet this fair maiden. We must finish our meal early and catch some rest if we are all to be on board at 4 in the morning."

Dauron smiled, as he was looking forward not only to introducing Berethion to Calwyn but also to introducing Calwyn to travel aboard a sea-going vessel. All in all, he was feeling pretty good about his life at this moment. The both strolled down the hallways of the Inn until they reached Calwyn's door. Dauron gave three sharp raps to the door, standing back and grinning at Ber, as he waited for Calwyn to answer his knocks. When there was no response, he knocked again and waited. And waited. He frowned slightly and knocked one more time.

"Calwyn, it's me...it's Dauron." Glancing at Ber, his cousin's eyebrow lifted and there was a question in his eyes. Dauron was becoming annoyed...and somewhat embarressed. Once more, he knocked.

"Calwyn?"
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 24, 2005 10:04
When Naden looked at Gareth questioningly, the Elanor's Captain grinned mischievously. "He was trained at the 'Sea Wing'," Gareth explained, "but had too great a love of sailing to stay land-bound. I was just lucky enough to be in port when he came around looking for work. We'll eat well on this trip, my friend - very, very well..."

"That's good news indeed!" Naden replied. He gladly accepted dinner on-board, and was quite happy to have a second wonderful meal for the day. While they ate, he and Gareth discussed this and that-- how long the trip should take, some of the risks... The reality was setting in- they were going to make this journey. The Ranger grew silent and wondered where Aragorn-- or Thorongil-- was, and what he was doing in the way of 'making plans'. Or was he simply waiting? The man had incredible patience... Naden, on the other hand, might have gone crazy by now with wondering if he were in that position.

When they were done eating, Naden retreated to his ;quarters' with a quick goodnight and thankyou to the half-elf. This time making sure not to bump his head on the door frame. He still felt befuddled about having to get up at four- he wanted to get as much sleep as possible.
------

Across the wide waters, Nell sat in the small room that had served as her home for the last two years. It was cramped, with no furniture save the bed and one table. She had lockedt the door and, as on every night, had removed her uncomfortable bindings and changed into a plain night-shirt. Sighing, she pushed open the window and stood at it, looking out. She could see the docks from there, although half of her view was blocked by the next building over. Gingerly rubbing at her bruised face, the young woman thought about the sword under the matress, as she often did. It would take one motion, one simple movement and a few moments of pain, to end this miserable existance. And why not? There was little hope of ever getting away from this wretched place, except by death.
Nell even turned and went for the bed, but in the end only climbed under the blankets to fall into a restless sleep. She still had her pride- and she wouldn't succumb to despair by ending her own life. That much of her father was still in her.

[Edited on 24/7/2005 by dreamdancer]
adriel_aroura
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2005 09:08
Calwyn had fallen asleep by her window while she sat, waiting for evening to come. She was lying rather lopsidely in her chair, having slipped down it slightly, and her mouth was slightly open. However, a sudden knocking roused her out of her slumber; she sat upright, and turned her head wearily towards the door, still half-asleep.

A second sharp knocking cleared her senses; immediately she jumped out her chair and looked out her window; why, it was very late already! It must be Dauron at the door... panicking, she quickly straightened out her dress and checked her hair, all the while wondering at how she had just fallen asleep like that. God, she must have been tired!

By the time Dauron knocked a third time, she was already at the door. Wrenching it open and panting slightly, she looked out and did her best to smile and look unfazed. "Oh, hello, Dauron," she said, rather sheepishly, "I'm sorry; I fell asleep." Then her eyes fell on the man beside him. Great, she was in no mood for visitors now... Nevertheless, she quickly pushed back a strand of dangling brown hair and said, "And who may your new friend be?"
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: July 25, 2005 01:05
The door opened and before him stood his lovely Calwyn, looking vaguely rumpled with her hair loose and tangled. Although he was relieved to see her, he was puzzled, glancing over her shoulder into her room.

"Oh, hello, Dauron," she said, rather sheepishly, "I'm sorry; I fell asleep."

"Uh...oh....then you forgot we were to meet for dinner?" It was a question, his voice clearly stating he was not thrilled by this answer. When she asked, her voice carrying an edge of disapproval, "And who may your new friend be?", his brows furrowed with a touch of annoyance.

"Calwyn, I'd like you to meet my cousin, Berethion. He will be coming to dinner with us and....he'll be onboard the ship with us as well," Dauron said acerbically. An emotion flashed in her eyes for a moment. Berethion, who had taken her hand to place a kiss of greeting on it, was watching her face at that moment. It looked to him like a glint of fear but then perhaps it was just a moment of annoyance at not having Dauron to herself. He bent his head, kissed her the back of her hand and stood back up. Dauron was tall, Berethion was a full inch taller and looked every inch his elven heritage. He was extraordinarily handsome but cooler, more self-contained than his more voluble cousin.

"I am most happy to meet you, my lady. Dauron has told me only good things of you and I have been looking forward to this evening..... and to our trip as well." His voice was almost musical and he was determined to charm the maiden. He wanted to know who this woman was who had entwined his playboy cousin's heart. His first reaction was ... questionable ... but he was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt until they had had the opportunity to get to know each other.

The descended the stairs to the dining hall where Dauron and Calwyn had met for their first meal .. was it only the night before? .. and once again, the formally dressed manager led them down the back hallway to a private room, this time set for three, Dauron having arranged this upon his earlier return to the Inn. The three sat in the candlelight, warmed by the small fire in the fireplace and enjoying the well cooked meal. When the meal was coming to an end, Dauron reminded Calwyn that they would be leaving at 4:00 AM and, as the hour was so early, the streets still dark, he and Berethion would meet her at her door and walk with her to the dock.

"Get a good night's rest, my dear, and be sure your bags are ready. We must meet the tide and cannot be late." With Berethion standing at his side, he gave Calwyn a chaste kiss on her cheek, though he longed to embrace her, to feel her slender waist which his hands could span, to feel her lips on his. Berethion once again kissed her hand, and they left Calwyn entering her room, the door closing behind her. As the two cousins walked to Dauron's room, which Berethion was going to share for the few hours left before they must rise, Berethion slapped Dauron's shoulder.

"Not only is she as beautiful as you said she was, but she is also charming and very intelligent." 'Almost too intelligent', Ber thought silently, his initial reaction to her still in the 'questionable' state. What was it about her that bothered him? She was well spoken, she was charming, needless to say, she was beautiful. He should be happy his cousin had settled on such a well rounded woman but he remained....unsettled. Ah, well, he thought, perhaps he was just jealous that someone had become closer to his favorite cousin than he was, taking something away from their life long relationship as friends. No more bantering, no more evenings flirting with wenches, no more hunting and fishing trips, no more sailing together for the fun of it. A woman in Dauron's life would change all that. Yes, that was probably what was bothering him so he said nothing of these thoughts to his obviously happy cousin.

The two quickly settled on their respective beds and were up at 3:00 am, packing the rest of their belongings in their travel bags and heading for Calwyn's room, where they received an immediate answer to their knocking this time. They reached the dock before 4, which gave them time to board and sort out where their cabins were and settle in before the anchor was raised.

((OOC: Adriel, feel free to fill in more conversational exchanges in your next post if you want))
gwendeth
Send Message
on: July 25, 2005 05:46
Unlike Naden, Gareth remained awake for quite some time... half-wondering if Dauron and Berethion would be slumbering on board. As the hour grew later, though, the half-elf shook his head, and took himself off to bed.

And, as he 'told' himself too, the Captain/owner of the Elanor V was awake well before the appointed hour for sailing. Voices carrying over the water told their own tale as crews from other ships besides his own made their final preparations. Gareth, however, ignored them all... for as much as he'd set sail during his thousand-year-old life... this time - it was 'different'.

As he was checking on a last detail, Allon came up behind him, and murmured that the last three of their guests had arrived. Thanking him, Gareth hurried to smilingly wave Ber, Dauron, and Calwyn up the gangplank... but it was Dauron's First Mate who took the three below to get settled.

And, as the tide began turn, the Elanor's bells joined in the echoes of a dozen others. Sails white as snow were unfurled, and instantly filled by the sea-breeze with a quiet 'snap'.

"Cast off!" Gareth called, and nodded as one of his crew caught the land-line, and two others raised the anchor. Paying no attention to who of the other travelers were elsewhere on deck, and with an expert turn of the wheel, the half-elven fisherman had his ship away from the dock. In only a few moments they were swallowed in the darkness of the pre-dawn morning. The Elanor V had set sail...

[Edited on 26/7/2005 by gwendeth]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 26, 2005 03:55
Naden had been sleeping deeply-- it had been a good nights rest on a full belly, something he hadnt experienced in a long time.

Sadly, his dreams were brutally interupted when the Elanor V met a particularly large wave, a signal of the slowly approaching storm. When the impact came, the peacefully sleeping Ranger was rolled completely off the bed! He hit the floor with a thud, taking the blanket with him and banging his head in the process.

He cursed loudly and scrambled to his feet, clearly picking up on the creaking of the ship and the sounds of the sea outside. Naden was quite annoyed and disoriented, having been pulled from a deep sleep- and as he made for the place where he had left his clothes, another wave said hello to the Elanor, and the man was tossed forward, running into the wall and unsuccuessfully grabbing for his clothes before falling back sqaurely on his rump.

A string of curses, then another attempt to get dressed. This time he managed without falling- but when he turned to trudge out of the room he forgot about the low-hanging door frame and whacked his forhead on the beam. Stumbling back with a curse louder than ever, and his hands on his head, the Ranger stood and seethed for a few moments before ducking and going up on deck.

Once there, he regretted leaving the room. The motion of the ship was already nearly too much for him-- and when he saw that Gareth was clearly enjoying it, he became even more annoyed. He gradually made his way over to where the half-elf stood, at the great wheel. The ranger didn't speak-- his glowering look said it all.
adriel_aroura
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2005 07:35
(sure thing)

Rielle rose early the next morning... She was ready. Waking up at 4 was really no big deal for her, as there had been times when she couldn't even sleep a wink on her father's ship. Quickly gathering her two small bags of possessions, she met Dauron and his cousin and then set off for the Elanor together.

Berethion was a handsome man, she thought, like his cousin. However, unlike Dauron, Berethion wasn't as friendly to her- she could've sworn that during last night's dinner, there were moments when Berethion's smiles and words were merely pretense.

However, as soon as she was onboard the Elanor, all such thoughts vanished. Even when the man Dauron introduced as his First Mate gave her a few strange glances, she didn't think about it twice. For the Elanor was a very beautiful ship; it was undoubtedly easy to tell. It was much larger, cleaner, and better-furnished then many of the Corsair ships, and Rielle was delighted. Well, the trip would be more comfortable than she could have hoped for.

And when she went to go see her cabin, it was not disappointing either. Some may have still called it small, but compared to what she had traveled in before, it was perfect. She even turned to look up at Dauron, who had accompanied her to her room, to smile and say, "Well, your friend's ship is very beautiful. It is by far, more beautiful than my-"

Then she froze in mid-sentence. She had been about to say "my father's ship", and so quickly, seeing Dauron's still expectant gaze, she changed it. "I mean, more beautiful by far than what I had ever dreamed of." And then she went in to put down her things, smiling like she had not just almost let slip her identity.

Later, Rielle went around the ship, pretending to be just taking a walk, but really taking in as much as she could about the boat. That way, if the time ever came, she could know where was what, and also perhaps be able to tell her Father some important things about location. On her way, she also saw Naden and Gareth, standing together at the wheel. Quickly walking away, so that she wouldn't have to speak to them, she went to where she saw Dauron standing alone, gazing out at the ocean.

There was one thought that had passed her mind while she was circling the boat that was making her feel suddenly quilty- for a fleeting moment, she had been thinking of the praise she would get from her Father when he overtook the boat and congratulated her on not only doing such a good job, but also for bringing him such a beauty too. But then she had instantly felt horrible for thinking of such things, and so just let the cool morning breeze clear and soothe her troubled mind of everything.

Coming up behind Dauron, she slipped her hand gently in his. "Thanks, Dauron." she whispered.

[Edited on 28/7/2005 by adriel_aroura]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: July 30, 2005 02:51
Dauron, Calwyn and Berethion arrived at the bottom of the gangplank to see Gareth smiling down at them and waving them aboard. After sharing a few early morning words with him, the three were led by Bernor to their quarters. Calwyn had been given the second mate's room and though small, seemed to please her.

She even turned to look up at Dauron, who had accompanied her to her room, to smile and say, "Well, your friend's ship is very beautiful. It is by far, more beautiful than my-"

He waited expectantly for her to complete her sentence. When she finished her thought with, "I mean, more beautiful by far than what I had ever dreamed of," he smiled happily. "Yes, I believe many of our vessels would have that effect on the landlubbers. Have you noticed how efficiently every inch of space is used? You'll be amazed, I'm sure, the more you see." Dauron was happy and excused himself to go to his own quarters. As he turned, he bumped into Bernor, who was staring at Calwyn, a puzzled look on his face.

"Bernor, move it along, man. We need to be ready to lift anchor soon." As they walked to his quarters, Dauron asked quietly, "Bernor, it is not the first time I have seen you watching Calwyn, always with troubled eyes. What is it, old friend, that troubles you about her?" They had reached Dauron's quarters, where he tossed his bag on the bunk and turned to look at Bernor. His First Mate closed the door and stood for a moment, staring into space as though searching for the answer somewhere out there. His eyes focussed on Dauron finally and he answered, "I don't know, sir. I've seen her before but I just can't recall where." At the question in Dauron's eyes, he shook his head. "It's nothing, sir, I'm sure. It must have been on the street or in a market here in town." Smiling, he shook his bosses hand. "I will say though, she's a looker, Dauron. You netted yourself quite a catch." His head was bobbing up and down and he grinned from ear to ear.

Dauron clapped his First Mate on the shoulder and grinned back. " That I have, Bernor, that I have. I do believe that I will be asking her to be my wife before this trip is over." Bernor's grin grew broader still and he punched Dauron on the arm. "That I'll want to see, sir...the day you settle for one woman. Alright, I'm going to give Allon a hand. They need someone to show them how to run a boat like this," he said, laughing as he opened the door and disappeared down the hallway.

Dauron unpacked his bag and stored everything away, then left to go up on deck. As he stood there watching the sky, wondering how long it would take for the storm to hit them fully, the waves were already rocking the boat. It was going to be one mother of gale, he thought, thinking about how Naden and Calwyn, the two landlubbers, would weather it. Suddenly, a small hand slipped into his. He smiled even before he turned to look down upon the beautiful face of Calwyn. Hearing her softly spoken, "Thanks, Dauron," he touched her cheek.

"For what, my love? I fear you will be cursing me before too long. Look at those storm clouds. I am surprised you have been able to make it across the deck. It takes a real seaman to walk on deck when the seas are running like this." He held her hand and smiled happily, just having her by his side, never thinking how true his statement had been and what it foretold for him and the mission in which he and his friends were involved.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: July 30, 2005 03:58
Standing easily at the Wheel of his Ship, Gareth was reveling at the feel of being at sea again. It mattered not that they'd only docked a few days ago, here he felt 'at home'.

The stiffening breeze caught his shoulder-length blond hair, since the half-elven fisherman had neglected to tie it back when he rose... and in response to the gathering storm-clouds, his eyes now appeared to be a dark grey.

The deck heaved, and expertly, Gareth spun the Wheel again, feeling the rudder 'bite' into the water. The Elanor V 'met' the wave, rose again, and then splashed down into to greet another huge roller at a speed that almost left one's heart in their throat. With a delighted laugh, he watched eagerly for the next one...
The motion of the ship was already nearly too much for him-- and when he saw that Gareth was clearly enjoying it, he became even more annoyed. He gradually made his way over to where the half-elf stood, at the great wheel. The ranger didn't speak-- his glowering look said it all.

"Good morning!" Gareth chuckled, not at all 'put off' by Naden's glare. "It'll get worse!" he said cheerfully, and the Ranger just groaned.

"The fire's been put out in the galley," the Elanor's Captain told him, "But I think there's some tea that's still warm if you want some. And, there's a bit of breakfast left as well," Gareth added, and then staggered - but only because Naden had been (quite literally) 'flung' into the half-elf's way by the ship's actions, and was hanging onto him for dear life.

"Hold on to something!" Gareth ordered, "But not me!" and loosened the Ranger's 'death-grip' on his arm...
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 30, 2005 06:18
(XD. gwen! that seriously made me burst out laughing... still chuckling! poor Naden! )

"Hold on to something!" Gareth ordered, "But not me!" and loosened the Ranger's 'death-grip' on his arm...

"Sorry!" Naden groaned, embarassed to have lost his footing in front of Gareth- and even more embarassed to have grabbed him like that. He stumbled around for a few moments before grabbing onto the nearest part of the ship that wasnt the floor or wheel. (dont know parts of a ship feel free to add that for me!)
"I don't think I could take breakfast," the ranger replied at last to Gareth's earlier proposal. He was feeling queasy already- the very thought of eating was unpleasant. And warm tea? No chance-- it would end up in his lap intsead of his mouth! The ship gave another great lurch. Naden held on, seeing slight amusement in the captain's eyes-- and the darkening clouds were anything but friendly. Pretty soon he was feeling too nauseated to worry about being embarassed...
gwendeth
Send Message
on: July 31, 2005 03:44
(( Ooo... poor Naden! :evil: Heh, since bereth's gone, perhaps we can 'play up' on this just a little! :angel: ))

The Elanor dropped sickeningly again, and when the Ranger groaned again Gareth looked at him keenly. Naden had turned a definate shade of green, and despite the cold breeze singing through the lines, the half-elf could see sweat breaking on the tall man's brow. He was clinging to the aft-most mast, and every roll of the ship was making the Ranger shudder.

"Not on the deck!" he boomed, and catching his First Mate's eye, and with a voice trained by centuries of sailing, Gareth hailed him. "Allon! Get him to the side!" he called.

As comfortable on the heaving deck as his Master, Allon swiftly made his way aft, and grabbed hold of Naden's arm. "Come on!" he snapped, and hauled the weaving Ranger to the closest railing.

Dividing his attention between the obviously seasick Naden and guiding the Elanor through the ever-roughening seas, Gareth wondered if Calwyn, too, was being affected. But, knowing that Dauron could deal with that (if needed), - and since Allon was now fully occupied, the half-elf motioned to Bernor. "Set one reef!" he commanded, and within seconds, his friend's First Mate was directing Gareth's crew in retriming the sails.

It made little difference in the motion of the small fishing ship, but it was enough - for now.

"Allon - take Naden below, and stay with him!" Gareth then ordered, biting back on a grin at the Ranger's ailment. Although he'd never experienced it himself, the Elanor's Captain knew seasickness was no fun at all...
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 01, 2005 05:05
Naden didn't think getting close to the railing was wise- he was sure he'd be flung off into the sea!- but he was in no position to protest, and he soon found himself clutching the railing in an iron grip and losing everything he'd eaten the night before. Any embarassment was completely forgotten- he was a tall man, and the railing seemed much to short for his liking. He was seeing and feeling more of the rolling water than he'd ever wanted to, and it didn't help his stomach!

Finally, he sank weakly to the deck with his back to the railing, still holding on with one hand and attempting to wipe his mouth with the other. Allon seemed to be looking at him expectantly.
"I'm not moving," Naden growled. Neither he nor his belly liked the idea of even trying to get below, and his head didn't want to face that cramped room and low-hanging door frame with the ship moving so. He didn't like being by the railing at all, but there would be no place on the heaving ship where he would find peace. The place he needed to be should nausea rear its ugly head again was wise- and he was sure his sea-sicknessess was nowhere close to subsiding.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: August 05, 2005 03:48
The dark clouds grew even darker and the waves were now climbing rapidly, reaching higher than the height of the ship itself. The rain began to fall as the wind gusted at 40 knots, tearing and whining in the sails. The deck was rolling and he glanced across the deck, catching Gareth's eye. The Captain nodded his head in the direction of Naden and Dauron laughed at Allon's efforts to unwind Naden's hands from the iron railing. Dauron turned to Calwyn, suggesting that they get her below deck and out of the weather. He watched her as she strolled across the deck toward the cabin door, completely stable on her feet. He cocked his head as he watched this amazing feat, then shaking it, he followed in her footsteps, catching up with her in time to open the door and offer her a hand to assist her down the ladder-like steps, but she ignored his hand and descended on her own. His puzzlement increased and then he saw Bernor at the bottom of the steps, watching Calwyn with the same curiosity in his eyes. Bernor looked up and met Dauron's gaze, then turned and walked off down the hallway. When Calwyn, and then Dauron reached the bottom, they both weaved to her door. As she opened it, Dauron spoke for the first time.

"Uh...will you be alright? The storm will be getting worse before it gets better and I worry about you, this being your first trip on the sea. I'm sorry it's such a rough introduction for you. I was so hoping for you to see my ocean at it's best." He smiled as he looked into her eyes, which seemed full of mischief and happiness. There was no sign of the typical green look of the sea sick sailor about her. When she closed her door, he stood in front of it for a while, just thinking. Out of the corner of his eye, he caught a movement and turned to see Bernor staring at him, a strange look on his face.

"What, Bernor? What is it?" Bernor stared for another moment then shook his head, turned on his heel and disappeared down another hallway towards the galley. Dauron was tempted to go after him when another door opened and Berethion stepped into the hall.

"Dauron! I was wondering where you were. How is it on deck?" He smiled and strolled steadily over to join Dauron. Watching his cousin, he tipped his head and his eyes questioned. "What is it? Is something wrong?" He was waiting for an answer when Dauron grabbed his arm and pulled him toward the stairs to the deck.

"Why don't we go have a look at what it's like on deck, my dear cousin?" Virtually dragging Berethion to the top of the stairs, he pushed open the cabin door and the wind and rain slammed both of them head on. "That's what it's like on deck." As they both passed through the door, the ship took a roll that knocked both experienced sailors sideways. Righting themselves, Dauron pointed to Naden, soaking wet and still clinging to the rail, pea green in color. "And that's what it's like for landlubbers in a storm like this. So tell me, why was Calwyn completely unaffected by all this?" His eyes were troubled, though it was more curiosity than dread that filled his mind.

Berethion stood thoughtfully at Dauron's side for a moment, then said, "Let's go see how Gareth is faring, Dauron. It may be that you could take the wheel for a bit and give him a moment's rest, yes?" They staggered across the deck until they reached Gareth, where the wind almost took Dauron's words away. He yelled, "Gareth, give me the wheel and go have a bit of something to drink besides salt water." He grinned at his friend and waited at his side.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: August 05, 2005 05:34
Gareth shook his head when Naden refused to move, but he didn't really blame the poor Ranger.

"Lash him to the railing!" he ordered his First Mate, just as a huge wave broke across the bow. Even with Naden's 'death-grip' on it, it was best to take no chances.

As the seas grew worse, so did the wind, and before long the rain was added into the mix. Grateful for even his half-elven strength, Gareth wrestled with the wheel, and called out his orders... his voice raising clearly above the roaring gale.

Before long, though, he saw Dauron and Berethion making their way aft.
They staggered across the deck until they reached Gareth, where the wind almost took Dauron's words away. He yelled, "Gareth, give me the wheel and go have a bit of something to drink besides salt water." He grinned at his friend and waited at his side.

The Elanor's Captain-owner laughed, though the sound was whipped away quickly. "Have at it!" he answered, and when his friend had it well in hand, Gareth stepped away.

But, instead of heading below, the half-elf made his way over to the sea-sick Ranger. The rain was now pelting down around them, but he ignored the 'sting' of it. Bending down, Gareth laid a hand on Naden's shoulder. "You'll live!" he yelled encouragingly.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 05, 2005 06:10
"Lash him to the railing!" he ordered his First Mate, just as a huge wave broke across the bow. Even with Naden's 'death-grip' on it, it was best to take no chances.

"Are you insane?!" Naden shouted, but his voice was hardly audible over the sound of the storm. He was not at all amused to be tied to the railing of the ship, but as before, he was in no position to protest, and the first mate followed his captain's orders perfectly; the ranger decided that even if he tried, he probably wouldn't be able to get out of the rope that was around his waist.
It was ironic- he had faced countless battles, gone through darkness unimaginable and felled enemies mighty, and here he was , defeated by a ship and a storm! His senses were reeling; he was nauseated, soaked, disoriented, and angry. He didn't notice Gareth standing there until the half-elf's voice broke through over the roaring wind and a hand touched his shoulder.
"You'll live!" he yelled encouragingly.
"Go away!" Naden shouted back, in no mood to be comforted. Before he could say anything else, the remaining contents of his stomach decided they had to get out; within moments they covered Gareth's boots, only to be washed away when water crashed over the railing, soaking Naden yet again.

[Edited on 6/8/2005 by dreamdancer]

[Edited on 7/8/2005 by dreamdancer]
adriel_aroura
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2005 07:33
Rielle went about her room, unpacking her bags and changing into a fresh set of dry clothes. She set about making her room seem more homey- and furnished in the way a young girl from Gondor would have it. She laid down a little mirror on the table, then draped a flowered scarf decoratively around the side of the dresser. She stashed her weapons deeply under her bed, along with anything else that could give her true identity away. Then, she went to sit on her bed, rather enjoying the rocking of the boat.

Suddenly the thought hit her unpleasantly, as she remembered seeing Naden going sick over the side of the boat. Oh my god- in one careless slip, she could have nearly given herself away! Quickly standing up, she realized she had to think of an excuse for being able to walk on deck. She remembered the puzzled looks Bernor had been giving her, for instance- and in the next moment she was out her door.

Running up the stairs, she slowed herself down when she got on deck. Pulling a hood tightly over her, she tried to squint through the rain for Dauron. Finally, after walking a bit across the large ship and grabbing onto the railing for pretended support, she found him at the wheel.

"Daur-" she was about to call, but then a sudden rather large heaving gave her the perfect chance to pretend to lose her footing and she fell towards him, pratically right into his arms.

"Dauron," she said breathlessly, her eyes starry in the dimming light and her face dripping with the pelting rainwater, "I'm sorry."

She made a rather clumsy attempt to stand herself up, but swayed dangerously and instantly reached a flaling hand out for support. Meanwhile, Dauron couldn't but notice that her face was paler than usual, and that she didn't look like she was feeling to great.

Suddenly Rielle flung a hand out towards the near railing behind him, and gripping it, said in a rather diminished voice, "Dauron- I don't feel too well. I came up from my room becuase the swaying was becoming violent- only to find it's much worse up here." She offered him a weak smile. "I'm so sorry, Dauron- I promised you I wouldn't be too much trouble, and I really tried to prove it; didn't you notice that I tried to walk as steadily as possible without your help? But," she finished rather queasily, "I can't help it anymore. I'm not feeling too- too great." Her legs nearly buckled underneath her with the next large lurching.

Hope this is a plausible enough escuse, she thought silently.

BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: August 07, 2005 11:03
((OOC: Adriel...Great recovery, you sneaky little spy. LOL And DD and Gwen, the two of you are making this soooo funny))

Dauron watched as Gareth glided across the deck to Naden's side, leaning over and speaking to him. Naden's glanced up and said something in return, and though Dauron could not hear the words, the look on the Ranger's face said it all. He chuckled to himself and then concentrated on steering the ship, which was rolling more and more as the waves and wind increased. He noticed the cabin door opening and saw Calwyn tugging her hood around her head as she stepped through onto the deck. Staggering, she made her way across the deck to his side.

"Daur-" she was about to call, but then a sudden rather large heaving gave her the perfect chance to pretend to lose her footing and she fell towards him, pratically right into his arms.

Holding the wheel with one strong arm, he caught her and kept her from falling. "Calwyn! What are you doing out here? Why aren't you below deck?"

"Dauron," she said breathlessly, her eyes starry in the dimming light and her face dripping with the pelting rainwater, "I'm sorry."

She made a rather clumsy attempt to stand herself up, but swayed dangerously and instantly reached a flaling hand out for support. Meanwhile, Dauron couldn't but notice that her face was paler than usual, and that she didn't look like she was feeling to great.

Suddenly Rielle flung a hand out towards the near railing behind him, and gripping it, said in a rather diminished voice, "Dauron- I don't feel too well. I came up from my room becuase the swaying was becoming violent- only to find it's much worse up here." She offered him a weak smile. "I'm so sorry, Dauron- I promised you I wouldn't be too much trouble, and I really tried to prove it; didn't you notice that I tried to walk as steadily as possible without your help? But," she finished rather queasily, "I can't help it anymore. I'm not feeling too- too great." Her legs nearly buckled underneath her with the next large lurching.

Once again he held her up, pulling her against his broad chest and burying her head against his shoulder. "Shhhh. Shhhh. Look at me, love. Do not look at the sea. Look only at me," he said, knowing that watching the waves going up and down increased the sense of queasiness. When she looked up into his face, he smiled, bending to kiss her wet forehead. "You're doing very well for a landlubber," he teased her. Actually, he felt a sense of relief as she demonstrated all the signs of sea sickness. He wondered why, but he had no time to question his feelings at the moment. One of the sails had blown free and he shouted out to three sailors to climb the mast and tie it down.

"Berethion, take Calwyn over to the cabin door and under the overhang. It won't keep her dry but it will keep her out of the wind." He passed Calwyn to his cousin and immediately turned his attention to the wheel and overseeing the work of the sailors, not even watching the two as they made their way across the wet and slippery deck. His eyes focussed on the skies for a moment and he noted that far to the south, the sky was lighter. The storm was a quickly passing one, he thought gratefully. Then he went back to steering the ship, keeping an eye on all the sails and masts and the men as they scurried to do the necessary tasks.

gwendeth
Send Message
on: August 07, 2005 01:25
"Go away!" Naden shouted back, in no mood to be comforted. Before he could say anything else, the remaining contents of his stomach decided they had to get out; within moments they covered Gareth's boots, only to be washed away when water crashed over the railing, soaking Naden yet again.

"Not..." Gareth began, and then braced himself against the next wave that broke across the Elanor's port quarter and rushed aftwards. There was no time for him to even glance up when Calwyn came on deck, or worry when Dauron only had one strong arm keeping his pride and joy on it's course.

The ship heeled again, and whilst his friend did the steering, Gareth bellowed orders into the wind. A 'glint' of light caught his eye against the storm-grey clouds, and relieved, the half-elf knew the gale would ease up before long. But, even when the wind and rain became calmer, the seas would still be heavy for some few hours... and, not, he well knew, 'soon enough' for Naden who was leaning weakly over the railing again.

Leaving the wheel-deck, Gareth nimbly scrambled up into the mainmast shrouds, adding his half-elven strength to his crew's while they took in a double-reef in all sails. Glancing downwards, he briefly gave in to his amusement... wondering what Naden would think if he could see their storm-battered watery world from this angle! Most likely... Gareth chuckled, and slid down to lightly land on the deck, he'd think himself given the world's worst punishment!

But, still trying to be 'encouraging', he leaned over the ailing Ranger... who was now huddled on the deck, as well as shivering against the cold. "It'll be over soon!" Gareth yelled, and just after that, the two were doused by another wave....
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 07, 2005 02:23
"It'll be over soon!" Gareth yelled, and just after that, the two were doused by another wave....

Naden cringed when the water splashed against him, sending the cold ever deeper and making him more miserable. He had been vaguely aware of Calwyn coming on deck, but of course, he was feeling too sorry for himself to care. The ship rose and fell again; this time the ranger was thrown against the rope, and his grip on the railing was lost due to the water. That knocked the wind out of him, and as he scrambled to regain his hold, he cursed the ship, the storm, and the whole lot to Mordor and back, wondering why anyone with a lick of sense would want to be a sailor.
Gareth was still there; Naden gripped the railing and glared at the captain. Over soon, he had said, but no time would be soon enough for the ranger. Not a day out to sea and he already regretted it...
"I'll be fine!" he lied loudly, wishing the half-elf would go away and leave him to suffer and be sick without someone standing over him to watch.
adriel_aroura
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2005 08:03
Rielle looked gratefully at Dauron before she let herself be led away, stumbling every now and then and gripping Berethion's arm rather tightly. When he at last led her to the overhang, she leaned heavily against the cabin door. "Thanks," she told him breathlessly.

Brushing the dripping hair out of her eyes, she frowned slightly. Why, pretending to be seasick was even harder than really walking onboard in a storm. She sighed. Acting like Calwyn was harder than she thought. She only hoped that the storm would be over soon, and then she wouldn't have to look all sick and act queasy.

Her eyes drifted over the loose sail, and suddenly she felt an urge to go up there and help them tie it back down. In fact, she suddenly felt like doing everything on the boat to help keep it going against the storm- why, she would love to go and steer the wheel! Her father had let her on several occasions.... She sighed again. This was her true home, being on a ship at sea.... and suddenly she wasn't allowed to do anything for it. Her whole body was itching to jump up and run about the deck, securing this and tightening that, but she could only lean here, completely useless.

In an effort to divert her mind from these rather annoying thoughts, she watched as Dauron masterfully steered the ship with skilled arms. He was truly very good though; as good as she was and even her father- and she suddenly felt glad that he had been the one who had fallen in love with her, rather than someone else.

[Edited on 8/8/2005 by adriel_aroura]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: August 12, 2005 03:48
Dauron watched Calwyn stagger across the deck on the arm of Berethion, who was as at home here on the rolling deck as he was on land, having grown up on the Elvin ships of old. Dauron felt sorry for Calwyn and Naden, neither of whom had ever experienced such a trip before. But he had little time to dwell on this as the waves were beginning to catch the ship broadside as the two remaining sails were unable to hold the ship into the waves without the strength of the main sail, still flying loose.

"Gareth!" he shouted. " The main sail needs but two more ties to stabilize it. Can you handle it or do you need another hand?" Without waiting for a response from Gareth, who was hanging practically upside down as he tied down one more rope, he called out to Berethion as well. "Berethion! Give Gareth a hand. If we don't get this sail back, I will not be able to hold the ship." Water was already washing over the deck in huge waves and for a moment, he noticed that Naden had disappeared from sight. He was about ready to call out to Allon when Naden's head appeared once more from behind a barrel that was tied to the rail. Naden's arms were clinging to the barrel as though it was his lover, both arms wrapped all the way around it, his face pale, his hair plastered to his forehead and cheeks. He looked so pitiful that Dauron felt a moment of sympathy.

"Naden, look to the south, man. There is the sun on the horizon, shining beneath those clouds. It's almost over. Hang on there." Dauron was relieved himself to see the storm was flying swiftly over their heads to the north. Already the rain was letting up and although the waves were still mammoth in scale, the space between them was longer and wider....the rolling was easing somewhat. Dauron looked up to see that Gareth, Berethion and the other sailors had successfully tied down the sails, which also eased the steering. He was once again able to lead the prow into the waves. His arms were tired but he was exhilarated and excited....he had always loved the battle against Lord Ulmo's realm.

Glancing over to the cabin door, he saw that Calwyn must have gone back inside as she was no longer there. He was relieved to see that as she would have been drenched had she remained on deck. As the sea slowly began to calm, he relaxed and once again he was able to daydream, thinking about a good meal with his lovely lady by his side. He was awakened from it suddenly when a hand tugged on his arm. Blinking, he turned to find Gareth's first mate at his side, who gently took the wheel from Dauron's hands, which had been holding the wheel so tightly that his fingernails had dug into the palms of his hands. He turned it over to Allon, stretching and flexing his fingers, trying to aid the flow of blood through them once again. He glanced across the deck and saw Gareth and Berethion standing, looking up at the sails, his cousin nodding his head that all was alright. Their eyes met and Dauron jerked his head towards the cabin door.

"I could use a mug of hot cider. How about the two of you? What say we rescue Naden and go below?"
gwendeth
Send Message
on: August 13, 2005 12:19
Working as quickly as he could, Gareth paid no attention to Dauron's yell. He wasn't about to let the Elanor V come to any damage - at least if he could.

When the last tie was fastened, he took at look at his friend - and could see a 'distracted' look in Dauron's face. That girl! the half-elven fisherman growled to himself. This was no time for day-dreaming! "Allon! Take the wheel!" he snapped, and slid back down to the deck. Looking back up at the spars, Gareth was judging the 'feel' of his ship. Even though he wasn't at the wheel, he knew how the Elanor acted... reacted... and felt (more than saw) Berethion come up beside him. "Looks good!" the elf commented. "It should hold us - a good thing that gale's a quick one. We'll be in calmer seas by nightfall," Gareth nodded.
"I could use a mug of hot cider. How about the two of you? What say we rescue Naden and go below?"

Turning, Gareth didn't need to 'see' Allon at the Wheel, to know his orders had been followed, and looked past his First Mate to observe the ailing Ranger.
Naden's arms were clinging to the barrel as though it was his lover, both arms wrapped all the way around it, his face pale, his hair plastered to his forehead and cheeks.

Supressing a burst of laughter, Gareth grinned, and winked at his two old friends. "It's calm enough for the Galley-fires to be relit," he agreed, and raised his voice to order it done. - And, indeed, the waves - though many were still much larger than usual, the distance between them was growing longer... and the Elanor's 'heaving' was becoming less.

"Come on, Naden!" he went over to the Ranger, and took hold of his arm. "Let's get you below - you'll not be sick much longer," he said, and nodded at Bernor to unfasten the rope holding the other to the railing.

It took both Gareth and Berethion to keep Naden upright, though - and even for they two, it was a struggle, since the Ranger's legs seemed to have a 'life' of their own, and he kept unbalancing everyone as they headed down to the galley...

(( rofl, bereth!! That's one of the best 'barrel' lines I've ever seen! :rolling: :naughty: ))
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 13, 2005 04:56
(seriously XD that had me laughing for half an hour after I read it... poor Naden!)

"Come on, Naden!" he went over to the Ranger, and took hold of his arm. "Let's get you below - you'll not be sick much longer," he said, and nodded at Bernor to unfasten the rope holding the other to the railing.

It took both Gareth and Berethion to keep Naden upright, though - and even for they two, it was a struggle, since the Ranger's legs seemed to have a 'life' of their own, and he kept unbalancing everyone as they headed down to the galley...

Although the storm was ceasing, Naden's nausea was nowhere close to doing so. He was relieved to get away from the railing- and too annoyed and sick to care that he nearly knocked over Gareth and Berethion more than once. In truth, he was more unsteady on his feet now than he could ever remember being.

It was not too long before the trio made their way below (thankfully without collapsing in a heap). Somehow Naden managed to find his way into a chair, and he latched onto the arm-rests with that death grip of his, just knowing he'd be thrown out of it at any moment. He was soaked to the bone, freezing, sick and miserable. Umbar sounded good to him just then- he would have given anything to be off that heaving ship.
"How much longer 'til we reach land?" he managed to ask Gareth, wondering if the captain had seen his 'affair' with the barrell on deck- Naden already suspected he'd recieve some teasing when his sea-sickness subsided. He saw the twinkle in the elf's eye and sank lower in the seat.

(ooc.. no idea what to post... XD still laughing!)

[Edited on 14/8/2005 by dreamdancer]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: August 18, 2005 04:11
(( Just to 'wake' us up!! ))

"How much longer 'til we reach land?" he managed to ask Gareth, wondering if the captain had seen his 'affair' with the barrell on deck- Naden already suspected he'd recieve some teasing when his sea-sickness subsided. He saw the twinkle in the elf's eye and sank lower in the seat

Gareth forebore to tease the Ranger, though amusement still played upon his face and in his eyes.

"About two days," he answered calmly, and while Dauron lit the Galley fire for heading their cider, Gareth fetched a blanket for Naden's shoulders.

In a short time, mugs of the warming liquid were poured out, and one placed before the Ranger. "You'll be fine!" the half-elf said encouraging, "and it won't make you 'ill' again, either! Drink up!" he ordered gently, and took a hefty sip of his own.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: August 18, 2005 07:48
Leaving the rescue of Naden to Gareth and Berethion, Dauron hurried ahead to the galley to refire the stoves and begin the process of warming the cider. When the Captain and his cousin entered the room, supporting Naden between them, Dauron smiled broadly. He had seen drunken sailors who were more sure-footed than the Ranger currently was. As Naden dropped into a chair, his hands immediately grasped the arms and he gripped them tightly as though afraid he would be tossed out when the next wave rolled the ship.

Dauron poured the cider into large mugs, handing them out to the other three. One was set on the table in front of Naden and Gareth suggested he take a sip.

"You'll be fine!" the half-elf said encouraging, "and it won't make you 'ill' again, either! Drink up!" he ordered gently, and took a hefty sip of his own.

Dauron also swallowed a healthy swig, which took the chill from his body almost at once. "Good cider, Gareth," he called across the galley. "Who is your supplier? I could use this on my own ship and mine is nowhere half as good as this is."

The fire was warming the galley quickly; even Naden, who now had a blanket around his shoulders, had stopped shivering and his teeth were no longer playing a chattering beat on the edge of his mug. Bernor had entered the galley and Dauron had handed him two mugs of the hot cider. "Bernor, take one of these to Allon. It should stay warm enough on the journey across the deck to help lift his spirits. And stand by him as he may need a break." As Dauron's First Mate, he, like Allon, could take the wheel if necessary. When Bernor had left, Dauron turned to the rest.

"I'm going to take a mug of this to Calwyn, who I'm certain could use some as well." Pouring a mug, he left the galley and made his way to Calwyn's room. Knocking once, he opened the door and stuck his head in to offer her the mug of warm cider. What he saw at first puzzled him, and then shocked him to the core.......................................

(OOC: Okay, Adriel, come up with something interesting....perhaps your hawk returning with a message from Dad? LOL)
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 20, 2005 01:32
Naden could have admitted that the warm beverage felt wonderful to his stomach, but he still didn't feel like speaking. Instead he sat silently, grateful to Gareth and wondering if he'd be able to sleep at all.

(sorry so short... bad storm coming and I have to get off now, so I can't think of anything better!)
gwendeth
Send Message
on: August 23, 2005 02:33
Dauron also swallowed a healthy swig, which took the chill from his body almost at once. "Good cider, Gareth," he called across the galley. "Who is your supplier? I could use this on my own ship and mine is nowhere half as good as this is."

"Ah!" Gareth grinned wickedly, "And, just 'why' should I share my secrets with you old friend?" and chuckled. "No, really," the half-elf went on, turning serious, but a 'glint' was still in his eyes. "It's from a small shop on the North of Dol Amroth," he explained, "and the proprieter uses an old elven recipe he refuses to 'divulge' to anyone. Except," and Gareth's amusement grew, "that I gave it to him! - It was my mother's that I found amongst her belongings once. But, Halfa's the only one who's been able to reproduce it correctly."

After taking another sip, he winked at Naden. "Have no fear, Dauron!" Gareth said soothingly, "I'll give him 'permission' to add it to your galley-supplies the next time you sail."

Once he and the Ranger were again alone, Gareth turned to him. "You did quite well in handling your first sea-storm," he said, "It might not feel like it - but you did. Now, that drink should have helped quite a bit," the Elanor's Captain smiled, "and I promise - you'll sleep all the better for having it!"

[Edited on 24/8/2005 by gwendeth]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 27, 2005 05:00
Once he and the Ranger were again alone, Gareth turned to him. "You did quite well in handling your first sea-storm," he said, "It might not feel like it - but you did. Now, that drink should have helped quite a bit," the Elanor's Captain smiled, "and I promise - you'll sleep all the better for having it!"

"Is that so?"
Naden showed his first grin since shoving off, taking another drink from the tankard. He was feeling a great deal better, growing a little drowsy, though each occasional heaving of the ship still made him grasp the chair's arm rest without fail.
"What, exactly, is in this secret brew of yours?" He asked, studying the liquid as it sloshed around in his mug. "I've had elven wines and ales- but never anything like this."
gwendeth
Send Message
on: August 28, 2005 04:24
"What, exactly, is in this secret brew of yours?" He asked, studying the liquid as it sloshed around in his mug. "I've had elven wines and ales- but never anything like this."

Gareth grinned, relieved that Naden's 'equanimity' seemed to have returned.

"Hmm..." he said thoughtfully, "it is sort of a 'family secret'," the half-elf commented. "At least, the 'specifics' of the recipe. I'll tell you this, though, it's got to do with the spices used, and named several of them. They were hard to find, Gareth told the Ranger, not being 'native' to the area around Dol Amroth.

"Halfa's rather... 'resourceful', though - as am I. Between us, we've got a source for them."

Gareth sighed, and stretched just a bit. "I should go check things topside," the half-elf said, "and maybe give Allon a break. Night'll be on us soon, and," he winked at the cook who'd come back to begin the evening meal, "I don't know about you, Naden, but that storm's made me rather hungry!"

"Aye, Cap'n!" the cook grinned back, "It'll be ready soon! I'll bring a plate up for you!"

"Good man!" Gareth nodded, and thumped the Ranger's back. "Suit yourself as to staying here, or coming up with me," he said, "Night-time asea is an incredible thing to see."

Leaving Naden to make his own decision, Gareth headed up the corridor, brushing by Dauron who was outside Calwyn's cabin. "Everything well?" he inquired sweetly, and with a wink, climbed the stairs.

Above, Gareth inhaled deeply, and surveyed the Elanor V. She'd weathered the gale quite nicely, he thought, and noted that order had once again been restored to the neatness of her decks.

"I've got her!" the half-elven fisherman smiled at Allon, and waved him below. "Cook's got dinner almost ready!" Gareth went on, and took the Wheel of his ship. Only a few hours, he thought, scanning the sky. By midnight, he'd be turning the Elanor southward, and towards Umbar...

<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email