Register

<< First45678Last >>
Author Topic:
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Eyes of Thorongil (Semi-scripted - please see OOC) [KEEP]
on: October 12, 2005 06:13
Naden was not happy with his new 'job'. For one, he had grown to despise the smell of fish- and secondly, getting the smell all overhimself was worse. More than once he had to stifle a gag, drawing a few uneasy grins from the crewmen around him. They got steely stares in return, and he made a mental note that- if they came out of this alive- he would have revenge on Dauron.

Even so, the ranger's mind was mostly on what was happening above deck, and he basically only managed to get in the way of the others who were actually working, moving slowly as he waited. He nervously waited for the corsairs to meet their small fishing vessel, hoping that there would be no fighting...

(it moves things along, at least...)
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 12:36
"Pssst. Dauron." someone whispered.

He stopped in mid-stride and turned to look in the shadows. "Who's there? Show yourself." One of the shadows moved and the sailor who Bernor had found to keep an eye on Calwyn stepped forward. "'Tis only me, sir. I was wondering....I was below deck and I thought I heard something, but turns out it was just a rat. The lady, sir, she is not aboard, right? I do have to get back to my tasks if she's not, sir. We're close to shore and there's things I must do."

"But of course, sailor. I'm sorry, I completely forgot with all the fuss that I had assigned you to this. No, go do what you must. There will be a bonus in your pay, though. My thanks for your service." Clapping the sailor on the shoulder, Dauron turned to head for the deck, saying over his shoulder, "All ships should have men of trustworthiness like yours, young man. Now off with you."

Hurrying to the top deck, he saw that the lead Corsair ship had pulled next to them and it's captain was getting ready to call to Gareth. Dauron knew they would want to come aboard to check things out and was glad Gareth was the Captain of this ship. Opposition would only cause more grief than it was worth, especially as they were but a mere fishing ship with some trade items aboard, he chuckled facetiously. He strode across the deck towards Gareth, keeping the Corsair in the corner of his eye, watching not the Captain but the men at his command. As he passed the hatch to the hold, he took a moment to look below to where Naden was standing, his northern face pale by comparison the rest of the crew. Grinning, Dauron called down to him.

"So how's it going, sailor? Have you got those wahoo separated from the king mackeral yet? We're almost into the harbor." Getting down on his knee, he spoke softly to the ranger and the rest of the men below, "the Corsair's captain will want to board, as surely as the sun rises every day. We'll all just go about our business if he does. Remember, we're just a fishing vessel off target due to the storm. Plus, we have some fine trading items as well. Take care and keep your daggers and knives at the ready, though I see no problem. I'll be with Gareth but I'll find a way to let you know if you'll need them." He was just standing to his feet when a voice bellowed across the distance between the two ships. Dauron turned to look and saw (though he did not know it) Calwyn's father. All he was thinking was how wise it had been to strand her on Tol Falas. He walked to Gareth's side...and waited.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 02:22
Although he was well aware of Naden's brief appearance... of Dauron's comings and goings, it was the Corsair ships that Gareth's attention were on.

Closer, and closer they came, and visions of the Elanor IV danced in the half-elven fisherman's memory. It had been like this that time, too... though far out of Umbarian waters. 'Piracy' Gareth Silverlake abhorred... but no sign of his disgust and anxiety crossed his face.

With a dangerous 'grace' about them, the four Corsairs tacked in succession... and the lead one was nearly at their side.

"Furl your sails and heave-to!" a voice bellowed sharply, "Coming aboard!"

Only with a flick of his eyes did Gareth acknowledge Dauron's presence, but that same glance... accompanied by the Elanor V's Captain's small nod was enough.

Instantly, the Flying Gull's commander began calling the orders, and right 'smartly' (to Gareth's inward - albeit briefly-felt 'smugness') all sails had been hauled in, and the wheel turned to allow their 'visitors' the demanded 'access'.

Just as a glowering Umbarian Captain ordered a rope thrown across the closing distance, Gareth turned a 'pained', yet expressionless face towards his old friend. "Take the Wheel, Dauron," he said softly, though it was hard to let go of that part of his ship. - For, as 'prepared' as they all were, with four-to-one odds, the likelihood of the Elanor V remaining 'his' was slim. Yet, 'outwardly' calm, Gareth acknowledged the Raider captain who marched across the deck.

"Who are you?" the man demanded in a harsh voice, and keenly looking at everything around him. "Why are you in Umbar's waters?"

Giving him a (very) slight bow, "Captain Silverlake," Gareth answered honestly, "A fisherman from Dol Amroth. You may not be aware," he went on (writhing inwardly at the glare he received for those words), "that the storm two days ago has caused severe damage to my home port..." and launched in to the 'explanation' for the Elanor V being where she was.

"We've a full hold, and a number of trade items," Gareth finished, "And with Tolfalas being so crowded now, the market isn't worth putting into." Shrugging, "I'd hoped that Umbar would be a more 'profitable' one."

As he'd expected, the 'story' was met with some skepticism, but that it hadn't been outright 'rejected' the half-elf ship owner felt was a 'plus'. - As was the curt, "Show me!" from the still un-named Corsair Captain.

"This way, sir," Gareth nodded, and carefully avoiding Dauron's - or anyone else's gaze as he passed by, began doing so.

Except... and 'filing' it away for later, the half-elven fisherman had to bite back a laugh to see Naden 'industriously' wading knee-deep amongst the fish; and with the Ranger's head bent in 'deep concentration' on his work...
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 04:13
Naden glanced up for only a moment as Gareth came down, leading a man who had to be a corsair captain. He sighed and tried again to look busy, managing not to recoil at the smell of the fish and, hopefully, looking convincing.

He listened as Gareth showed the man their 'wares', doing some more 'explaining', and every moment the ranger felt that his heart would beat its way right out of his chest- he was anxious, gaining nothing from the grunts of the swarthy captain. His sword felt heavier than usual at his hip.

Suddenly the captain came over and silently observed Naden and his 'companions'. The ranger avoided meeting his gaze, wondering if the 'disguise' he had donned had been seen through, and itching to reach for his weapon.
"You, sailor," said the captain. Naden looked up.
"You look strange. What's wrong with you?"
"Ah... just coming off a cold, sir," he answered, giving a sniffle to prove the point. He got a steely glare in return, but finally a satsified grunt and nod. The captain turned to Gareth.
"Fine," he said, as one who hates to say the words coming out of his mouth, "Fine- continue on to the docks. I've got better things to do..."

He stomped away back up top, with the Elanor V's Captain close behind. As soon as they were both gone, a collective sigh of relief seemed to resonate throughout. Naden mumbled a few low curses and put as much distance between himself and the fish as was possible, straining to listen and see if all was well above....

[Edited on 19/10/2005 by dreamdancer]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 19, 2005 04:00
"Ah... just coming off a cold, sir," he answered, giving a sniffle to prove the point. He got a steely glare in return, but finally a satsified grunt and nod. The captain turned to Gareth.
"Fine," he said, as one who hates to say the words coming out of his mouth, "Fine- continue on to the docks. I've got better things to do..."

Gareth could only hold his breath as the Corsair Captain addressed the one person who looked 'out of place' in what he was doing... but thought Naden handled the situation beautifully.

Following the enemy, Gareth inquired as to 'who' would be best to speak to in port.

"What?" the pirate shrugged impatiently. "Port-master's name is Nerin. - Anything else?" he asked scathingly.

"No... thank you," Gareth answered, and then had to hide his own impatience to get these pirates off his ship and set sail again. A pleasant wish for 'good sailing' was met with a steely glare, but as soon as the rope tethering the two vessels together had been loosed, the half-elven fisherman turned his back on them and began bellowing the orders that would get the Elanor V under weigh again, and took back the Wheel from Dauron.

"So far, so good," he murmured to his old friend. - Still, there was a 'prickling' at the back of Gareth's neck as his small fishing ship gracefully sailed past the Corsairs. Yes, they'd been 'approved', but just what they'd find when the Elanor V docked might be something completely different...

When they were well away from the Corsair ships, "Get Naden up here for a few minutes - would you, Dauron?" the half-elven fisherman asked. The Ranger deserved to watch their docking, Gareth felt... since they were doing all this at his, and Thorongil's request.

Yet, there was a twitch to Gareth's lips, when the two joined him. "There you are, Naden," he nodded toward it. "Umbar. In less than an hour we'll be there! As soon as we can, Dauron and I will get you some clothes that 'fit' so you can actually set foot on dry ground. What you're wearing now will draw as much attention as your Ranger's clothes, so I suggest you remain below until we do."

Rather certain that was *not* what the Ranger wanted to hear, Gareth exchanged an amused glance with Dauron...
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 21, 2005 07:24
Naden was, of course, not happy at all at this prospect, and deciding that he couldn't stay in what he had on a moment longer, he stomped away down to his quarters and put on his own clothes, leaving the coat and cloak since they would be *much* too obvious.

Upon returning to the deck, though, everyone seemed to agree that, without the old cloak and travel-worn coat, the ranger looked less like what he was, and more like a sailor. An older crewman, having a quick idea, offered Naden his own "sailor's" cloak, one of deep grey. Surprisngly enough, it fit.

Relieved that he was no longer wearing fish-stinking clothes that were too tight and uncomfortable, Naden's mood lifted and he stayed above with Gareth and Dauron, watching as the docks drew slowly closer.

In a short time, it seemed, they were close enough for Naden to descry a few people there, their faces turned toward the approaching vessel, eyes shielded against the radiant glow of the setting sun behind. The ranger couldn't tell any more than that, and he hoped that those looking couldn't make out their ship well. But then, they'd see it soon enough...

---

Another routine run to the ally to empty a trash barrell. Nell wrinkled her nose at the stinking mess that spilled into the bin outside, shaking her head and wondering how anyone could pay for such stuff. Grunting with the strain of it, she lifted the barrell and emptied the last of it, sighing and setting it down, wiping her forehead with the back of her hand.

Taking a few steps forward, she stopped and looked out at the sunset, for the most part only saddened by its beauty- then squinted at the ship coming in. It didn't look like any ship she ever saw in these docks.... looking for a few more minutes, she felt a strange anxiety grip her- such a vessel she'd never seen in Umbar, but many of the sort she'd seen as she grew up, back in Dol Amroth.

What did this mean? Maybe the ship was simply thrown off course- or maybe the corsairs had pirated another unsuspecting crew and captain- an endless list of possibilities ran through her mind. The tiniest spark of hope flickered there too, but she cursed and roughly pushed it away, shaking her head. No, she needn't start that now- there was hardly a chance that this ship's coming meant anything for her.

Suddenly the door slammed open behind her.
"What'r you doin out here, boy? There's work to do!"
Cursing again, she dragged her eyes away and went back inside, trying to turn her thoughts away from what she had just seen.

[Edited on 21/10/2005 by dreamdancer]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 22, 2005 03:36
When the Corsair ship connected with the Elanor V, Gareth quietly asked Dauron to take the wheel and strode off the meet the Corsair captain face to face. From there, Gareth proceeded to carry out the farce that they were merely a fishing ship anxious to sell their catch. When the Corsair captain asked to be taken below to view this himself, Dauron stared straight ahead, his hands gripped on the wheel until his knuckles were white, yet his expression remained blank, even when he briefly shared a glance with Gareth.

The two went below deck and Dauron's ears only just picked up the conversation between Naden and the Corsair leader.

Dauron held his breath until the exchange was completed and only let it out when the man and Gareth were once again on the deck. When the two ships were finally untethered, Gareth was once again at Dauron's side, taking over the wheel from the tall, red-haired sailor. "So far, so good," he murmured to his old friend and Dauron nodded. He stayed by Gareth's side as they sailed past the Corsair and onward toward the shoreline. When Gareth asked him to bring Naden topside, Dauron realized he had not moved a muscle in long moments and had to force his legs to move. When he reached the hatch, he leaned over and called down to Naden.

"You've done an excellent job for a Ranger, Naden, but your services are no longer needed at this time. Please come up to the deck." His eyes were full of laughter as Naden tried to brush the fish scales from his clothes and he climbed topside, glaring at Dauron.

Yet, there was a twitch to Gareth's lips, when the two joined him. "There you are, Naden," he nodded toward it. "Umbar. In less than an hour we'll be there! As soon as we can, Dauron and I will get you some clothes that 'fit' so you can actually set foot on dry ground. What you're wearing now will draw as much attention as your Ranger's clothes, so I suggest you remain below until we do."

Rather certain that was *not* what the Ranger wanted to hear, Gareth exchanged an amused glance with Dauron...

When Naden had stomped away to his quarters, Dauron eyes resumed their search of the shoreline. "That exchange went well, Gareth, but I trust not the Corsair captain. We should watch closely once we have docked that there is no sneak attack from his cohorts there." As they both watched what was ahead, Dauron missed hearing Naden approach them both. Dressed in most of his ranger clothing, though without his cloak and definitively northern coat, he joined them as they watched the shore grow closer and closer. Dauron clapped Naden on the shoulder, grinning at the taller man. "I must say, Naden, your attire is an improvement.....smells better, too." Then his expression became grimmer as he saw a group of Umbarian thugs in black lined up along the dock which they were about to tie up to.

"Hmmm, let's hope this is just a normal manner in which Umbarians greet their guests, eh?"
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 23, 2005 05:54
When Naden had stomped away to his quarters, Dauron eyes resumed their search of the shoreline. "That exchange went well, Gareth, but I trust not the Corsair captain. We should watch closely once we have docked that there is no sneak attack from his cohorts there."

"Indeed," Gareth agreed, and rather 'dryly'. Moored, the Elanor V would be at the Umbarian's mercy even more than at sea, if someone decided to change their mind...

But, and still inwardly 'proud' of how his crew was handling her, the half-elf brought his ship deftly into place at the dock. "Haul in the sails!" Gareth ordered, and then, "Allon, Bernor, get the land-lines secured!" and amidst a chorus of 'aye, ayes' the men scrambled to obey.
"Hmmm, let's hope this is just a normal manner in which Umbarians greet their guests, eh?"

"One can only hope..." Gareth started to say, but now the Elanor V was still, he was looking around them more keenly... and his eyes caught what he'd been too busy to see earlier: the decayed remnants of a ship's hulk resting on the wide beach at the north side of the docks. Cannibalized most clearly, and then left to rot in the Umbarian sun. It was... or had been - once - the Elanor IV.

Dauron had never seen her when the fishing-vessel had been in her full glory... flying over the waves as Gareth took her to, and from Dol Amroth's port. In fact, none of his current crew had... the piracy of his beloved ship had happened far too long ago for that... but the half-elven fisherman knew it instantly.

Waves of anger and frustration and sorrow swept through Gareth, and his sea-grey eyes 'burned' as he tore his gaze away, and to again look at their 'greeters'. But, as the gangplank went down, "Come on!" he snapped, and with his head held high, the Elanor V's Captain-owner led his two friends down it.

Without preamble, and though he bowed slightly, "I've been told that Nerin is the Port-Master. I don't suppose any of you... 'gentlemen' could direct us?" for Gareth felt that showing no 'weakness' here would be a good thing.

After exchanging glaring glances at each other, one of the Umbarians gestured to a building. "He's there," came the reply, and with a nod, Gareth shoved his way through the group... jostling back when he was bumped, but not making one move at all towards the sword buckled around his waist.

Inside, Nerin was as surly as anyone else they'd 'met' so far. Half-unbelieving that the Corsair fleet-Captain had given his permission he was, and certainly suspicious. Without betraying (he hoped) how nervous he was, Gareth went on with their 'story'. "Dauron and I are fishing-experts!" the half-elf stated, "and my holds are full! A catch that should bring in cash to yourself - as well as to me and my crew! - And, Naden here," Gareth indicated the disguised Ranger, and - since he'd just now 'made it up' - hoped Naden would 'pick up' on it, "has trade goods that were destined to make the Prince of Dol Amroth's mouth water! If you don't believe me - come and look for yourself! Oh," and adding a 'tired' note to his voice, "I don't suppose there's an Inn or a Tavern anywhere close to the dock, is there? I could use a good mug of ale."

That last sentence was more than truth, and though still wary, the Port-master began to 'unbend' just a bit. Grudgingly, he named the 'Black Anchor' as a place for weary fishermen and traders to 'rest' whilst in port... and gave them the directions. But, the talk of what lay in the small ship's Holds had definately caught his interest.

"Who's in charge of your cargo?" Nerin growled. "The First Mate's Allon - and Second-Mate Bernor," Dauron spoke up, and Gareth was glad to have his friend 'backing him up', and nodded in agreement. "We'll let them know to expect you!" the Elanor's Captain ended the meeting himself, and took them back outside into the fresh (but definately not 'free-feeling') air.

"Dauron," Gareth asked quietly, and strain showing more clearly in his tone, "Would you tell Allon and Bernor to expect Nerin to 'visit', please? As soon as you're back, we'll go," and once again, he first looked at, and then turned his back on the sight of what (he knew) might lay ahead for the Elanor IV's sucessor. "I want that drink!" he grimly added to Naden, while they waited for Dauron to return. That the 'Black Anchor' might be a good place to 'begin' the Ranger's task here, not only did Gareth not think of it... but at the moment, he couldn't have cared less...

[Edited on 23/10/2005 by gwendeth]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 23, 2005 05:55
"Who's in charge of your cargo?" Nerin growled. "The First Mate's Allon - and Second-Mate Bernor," Dauron spoke up, and Gareth was glad to have his friend 'backing him up', and nodded in agreement. "We'll let them know to expect you!" the Elanor's Captain ended the meeting himself, and took them back outside into the fresh (but definately not 'free-feeling') air.

"Dauron," Gareth asked quietly, and strain showing more clearly in his tone, "Would you tell Allon and Bernor to expect Nerin to 'visit', please? As soon as you're back, we'll go."

Dauron nodded and immediately headed for the boat. Sighting Bernor and Allon near the wheel, he called to both of them. By the time they heard him and turned, he was already face to face with them.

"Bernor, Allon, the dock master, an oaf named Nerin, will be coming aboard to take stock of our holds and trade goods. You are to welcome him with all civility and politeness...though no more is asked of either of you. Take him around to the common areas, show him our catch and the trade goods only. If he asks to see any of the private quarters, tell him you cannot show them to anyone without the Captain's permission. Ask him to find us if that becomes an issue. We should be at some tavern called the Black Anchor. Right?"

When all seemed clear and any questions answered, Dauron left the ship to make his way to the Black Anchor, wherever that might be. As he reached the ground, he began to stride through the crowd that had gathered to see the strange ship at their dock. As he approached the group of tough looking men he had spotted from the ship, they pulled closer together, blocking his way. He stopped, his eyes raking the group. With a broad smile on his face, he asked, "Gentlemen, can you point out the direction of the Black Anchor?" At his tall height, he towered over all of the group, but his expression and demeanor were unthreatening. Yet the group began to close in a circle around him. His smile remained plastered to his face, while his arms hung loosely at his side, far from his sheathed sword.

"Your dockmaster, Nerin, told my friends that that was where we could get a pint and I have to tell you, I am rightfully thirsty. Is it up this street?" he asked, raising his arm, ostensibly to point. Accidently, his elbow just happened to connect with the nose of one of the group too close to Dauron's side, knocking the man off his feet. As he fell back, his hands covering the blood running down his face, his eyes wide, Dauron turned, reaching to catch the man from falling. "I am soooo sorry, sir. Had I known you were that close to me .. well, what can I say? Here, take this handkerchief. It's clean." He handed the thug a piece of white cloth and turned to look at the others. "Now, gentlemen, I ask again....in which direction is the tavern?"

One of the toughest of the lot pointed up the road and stepped back out of Dauron's way. "Thank you, sir, I appreciate your guidance," he said and strode off up the hill, spotting the sign of the Black Anchor just ahead. When he entered the building, he searched for Gareth and Naden and spotted them at a table in the corner. He crossed the room, knowing the eyes of all the patrons were upon him.

Stopping near the bar, he asked a young boy to bring a pint to him and continued on his way to the table. He turned once en route to look back at the boy, a puzzled look on his face, then shaking his thoughts away, he reached his friends and pulled out a chair, sitting down next to them.

"Well, gentlemen, how is the ale here?"
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 23, 2005 06:32
"I want that drink!" he grimly added to Naden, while they waited for Dauron to return.

"Well, lets go on," the ranger sighed, aware of Gareth's dark mood and not blaming him for it in the least, "I don't like leaving Dauron, but he can handle himself. We don't need to stand here to be gawked at any longer..."

They walked a short distance, having no desire to ask for directions to the Black Anchor. Luckily, Naden had some memory of where he had been told it was, and after a few more minutes he spotted it- clearly it was the tavern he sought, by the crude and splintering sign out front.

When they entered they found the common-room mostly full and though the talk and noise didn't die down, many eyes turned toward them. Without letting on that he even noticed, Naden worked his way to a table in the corner, aware of the steely, suspicious glares they were getting. He clearly picked up on the whisperings that followed their passing, and he wondered if they would have to put up a fight.

Thankfully no one bothered them. The only person that spoke to them was a serving boy, and it was as he bustled by in a hurry that he asked- "ale?", to which he had recieved a pert, "Yes, please."
A sharp glance had followed, and Naden guessed from his quick observation that the young man had been made a servant here against his will, or something... the thought made him sigh bitterly, but it was none of his business. He had other things to worry about.
They had been sitting for a few minutes in brooding silence when Dauron appeared and came over to their table, getting the same stares that they had recieved.

"We havn't gotten ours yet," the ranger replied, "but you can find out for yourself- here it comes."

Nell had noticed immediatly that the newcomers were not Umbarian, and she guessed right away that the new ship was theirs. As she readied their ale she wondered who they were and why they were here- obviously they had not been taken by pirates. More than that she wondered if there were any possible way of leaving with them... but as always, that thought was put away with the hope it brought. She dared not ask them for fear of revealing herself, or being refused and running into the wrath of the innkeeper- and what could they do, anyway? Why would anyone risk themselves in that way...

Even so, as she carried the tray and the mugs back over to their table, she could hardly hide her anxiety. Her face took on its normal expression- somber and somewhat sad- but her hands very nearly trembled.
She observed each sailor for as long as she dared while setting down the mugs, offering no smile or kind word of greeting. The dark-haired one she knew she didn't recognize, but the other two were familiar. Names she couldn't think of, nor memories that would place them at her lost home in Dol Amroth. Maybe it was her foolish hope deceiving her- after all, what were the chances?

Mumbling the price of the drinks she turned and went back to the bar, setting herself to some busy task and searching the depths of memory.

Naden picked up the ale and sipped at it, letting out a sigh- half of weariness, half of satisfaction. Even though they were in Umbar, and though peril seemed to hover about them like a cloud, he was glad to be on solid ground, and even happier to have the drink in his hand.
"I've had better," he remarked flatly to Dauron, taking another sip from the tankard.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 23, 2005 07:11
"Well, lets go on," the ranger sighed, aware of Gareth's dark mood and not blaming him for it in the least, "I don't like leaving Dauron, but he can handle himself. We don't need to stand here to be gawked at any longer..."

Distracted and upset, Gareth immediately agreed. Resisting the urge to look on his old ship again, the half-elven fisherman was glad Naden had remembered the directions, as he was deep into thoughts and musings of his own.

They lasted until reaching the Tavern, and there, Gareth had to hide his feeling of unease when all eyes were drawn to himself and Naden.

With the disguised Ranger's height, however, even if they had been of Umbar, such scruitiny wouldn't have been unremarkable. Yet, Gareth was relieved that Naden found them a corner table at which to sit. A boy passed by, and their orders given... though he was gone again rather quickly. "Busy place," he commented to Naden, as they waited, and trying to seem 'relaxed', began letting his eyes wander about the room.

"We've not yet received our order, how should we know?" Gareth sighed, and his brow furrowed when the boy came to deliver their mugs. Slowly taking his own sip, he didn't hear Naden answering Dauron's comment... he was watching the boy.

What was a youth of that age doing in a place like this? Gareth wondered, and watched him scurrying about. A purpled cheek bore testament to the treatment given out, as did the loud curses thrown at his head when the boy didn't move fast enough for the barkeeper.

Setting down his cup, the half-elven fisherman - already upset - was even more so... and on top of that, he seemed... to remind Gareth of someone - but just who, he couldn't place. He was just opening his mouth to inquire of it from Dauron, when there was a sharp yell... and a crash... and whirling in their chairs, he and his companions saw the youth sprawled on the wooden floor of the Tavern.

However, what only Gareth was in position to see, was an extremely rough-looking 'patron' extracating his foot from the boys... and with a look of unpleasant 'glee' on his face.

At once, the barkeeper yelled, and running over, delivered a blow to the youth's arm, and then yanked him to his feet.

Unable to keep still at such abuse, and unmindful that they'd wanted to remain 'unnoticed' (as much as was possible), Gareth leapt from his seat.

"Stop!" he cried furiously, and hauled the barkeeper away from his victim. "Punishment for error is one thing!" Gareth snapped, "But not when your servant is deliberately tripped!"

Glaring so that his sea-grey eyes were almost black, Gareth then turned to the boy. "Are you all right?" he inquired solicitously, and, "What's your name, son?" and stood between the youth and the barkeeper, blocking the latter's continued attempt to grab hold of his 'property'...
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 01:57
As the boy delivered three mugs to the sailors, Dauron glanced closely at the youth again. Something nagged at him but he knew not what it was. "Almost too pretty to be a boy," he mumbled to himself, sipping a mouthful of his ale. He watched the boy scurrying through the crowded tables and people, noting the bruise on his cheek, and wondering who could have done such a thing to such a young boy. He did not have to wait long to find out. He had just lowered his head to take another sip of his ale, which he had to agree with Naden ... he had had better... when a crash and the breaking of glass forced his head around to see its cause.

The boy was laying flat on the floor, his tray and glassware strewn around him. Dauron began to rise from the chair when he saw the tavern owner approaching. Relieved that the bartender would help, he was surprised when instead of helping the boy to his feet, the man raised his hand, bringing it down upon the boy's arm, then grabbing the same arm and dragging him to his feet, yelling at him the entire time. Before he could react, Gareth jumped up from his seat, knocking the chair over.

"Stop!" he cried furiously, and hauled the barkeeper away from his victim. "Punishment for error is one thing!" Gareth snapped, "But not when your servant is deliberately tripped!"
Glaring so that his sea-grey eyes were almost black, Gareth then turned to the boy. "Are you all right?" he inquired solicitously, and, "What's your name, son?" and stood between the youth and the barkeeper, blocking the latter's continued attempt to grab hold of his 'property'...

Dauron glanced at Naden, who was also on his feet now, then back at Gareth, talking quietly to the boy while the barkeeper continued to push and pull around Gareth's body, trying to catch hold of a piece of the child's shirt or his arm.

"Well, Naden, so much for being unnoticed," he snorted, gazing around at the almost silent tavern as everyone was spellbound, watching the three strangers, especially Gareth, and the boy and the bartender. Shaking his head, he looked sternly at Naden. "Wait here, I'll be back in a moment." He made his way through the tables to Gareth's side, adding another obstacle for the bartender to try to pass. Dauron leaned closely to Gareth's ear, whispering, "Buy him! Buy the child. I have enough gold no matter what the lowlife asks for him. Buy him, Gareth, and let's get him out of here." He stepped back and waited.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 04:29
"Wait here, I'll be back in a moment." He made his way through the tables to Gareth's side, adding another obstacle for the bartender to try to pass. Dauron leaned closely to Gareth's ear, whispering, "Buy him! Buy the child. I have enough gold no matter what the lowlife asks for him. Buy him, Gareth, and let's get him out of here." He stepped back and waited.

Naden stood where he was fuming. He was all too aware of the tension rising quickly in the room, and of the attention Gareth had drawn to their small party. In his mind he swore, cursing the whole lot to the black land and back, but he made no move. He felt sorry for the servant boy, of course, but they were here for another reason- in the ranger's mind, his orders and the safety of Gondor were more important. There was nothing he could do now, though, but wait and hope the half-elf's actions wouldn't bring too much trouble....

--

Nell didn't answer the sailor's question at first, startled that she had been helped at all, and daunted by the growing anger she saw in the barkeepers face as he grabbed for her. That expression promised that the unfolding events would be payed for in full before the day was over. She remembered the last severe punishment she had recieved and faltered, stepping back.
"M-my name?" she stammered, shaken, "It's- it's Niel-"
"Don't matter!" the barkeeper shoved through at last, pushing Gareth and Dauron both roughly out of his way and siezing Nell's arm before she could get away. His gip was unrelenting as he turned his burning gaze on Gareth. Nell grimaced and tried to get away, unsuccessfully.
"How I treat my servants is none of your business- this mite's going to get what he deserves. I don't like kicking paying customers out, but if you keep pushing your nose where it don't belong, you'll have to leave."

At that point Nell's struggling finally paid off, and she managed to wrench her arm out of his grasp. She backed off as he turned to face her. Without speaking he pointed to the door behind the bar, seeming to pay no further heed to the newcomers...
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 04:58
Dauron leaned closely to Gareth's ear, whispering, "Buy him! Buy the child. I have enough gold no matter what the lowlife asks for him. Buy him, Gareth, and let's get him out of here." He stepped back and waited.

Buy him?

Shocked at that thought, Gareth stared at his old friend, and yet... he winced at the tone in Dauron's voice... and the 'set' look of clear displeasure on Naden's. Stupid! he berated himself, but knew he'd gone too far to back down now.
"M-my name? It's- it's Niel-"

The stammering in the boy's voice, and the barkeeper's clear threat, and the expressions on the barkeeper's face and that of the youth were more than Gareth could take. When Niel (as he seemed to be called) was ordered toward the back of the bar, the half-elven fisherman then grabbed the Tavern's proprieter and glared into his eyes. Without looking at his old friend again, "Do it, Dauron - you know I'll pay you back!!"

With that said, Gareth turned to the boy. "Come with me, Neil," he said curtly, but not unkindly. "You've had done with this place!" and grasping the youth's arm firmly, took them both out of the taproom.

As soon as they were on the street, Gareth released his hold, and looked down at the boy honestly. "I don't 'buy' people, Niel," he said solemnly, "And as of right now - you're free. If you've nowhere else to go, you can come with me. My name's Silverlake. Captain Gareth Silverlake - from Dol Amroth. My ship's the Elanor V... know anything about sailing? If not - I'll teach you. I can always use another good hand..."
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 05:35
"I don't 'buy' people, Niel," he said solemnly, "And as of right now - you're free. If you've nowhere else to go, you can come with me. My name's Silverlake. Captain Gareth Silverlake - from Dol Amroth. My ship's the Elanor V... know anything about sailing? If not - I'll teach you. I can always use another good hand..."

Nell just looked at Gareth blankly for a moment, overwhealmed. It didn't seem real- two years spent suffering in that place, day in and day out, and in only a few minutes she was free? No- it was nearly too much.
"Thank you," she remarked softly, studying her 'rescuer' closer now that she had a chance, feeling suddenly exposed and unsafe. This person had helped her- saved her- but she was uncomfortable in his presence...
"Anything that I can do to repay you Captain-er Captain Silverlake-"

As she spoke the name the memory suddenly hit her, all at once and with the force of a great crashing wave. She faltered and stopped speaking mid-sentence.
Gareth Silverlake! Yes, she recognized that name! She did know of this fellow! As a girl growing up in the docks she had seen him countless times, and watched him at work with his crew before setting out- and her father had known him better than she, though he had not been a 'friend'- she bit her bottom lip, becoming anxious again. He looked the same, as she remembered him. Obviously, he didn't recognize her- still took her for Neil, as she had planned- but he had last seen her two years ago, and only at a passing glance as she headed for the ship with her father. So clear it seemed, now, her last morning in Dol Amroth...
"I have to get something," she remarked hastily, "Then I would be honored to join you on your ship."

With the half-elf close behind she headed for the ally, wondering wildly if she should reveal herself to him- finally be rid of the disguise she had come to loath at last, and stop hiding.... no, not yet, not so close to danger. She still didn't know if she could trust these sailors, as much as she wanted to... still, the prospect of finally getting away from Umbar was exciting.

Quickly she flitted in the back door, asking Gareth to wait, and returned shortly after with a sword and sheath. It was all she owned, besides the clothes that she wore.
"My father's," she remarked somewhat uneasily, fastening the sheath to the worn strap of leather that passed for her belt, "To the Elanor V?"

---

Naden sighed as he watched Dauron 'barter' for the boy- in the end convincing the barkeeper that it was a 'bargain' and handing over a hefty amount of money. The ranger left coins of his own for their drinks. Both he and the sailor were eager to leave the tavern behind. Once outside, the tension that had been so heavy within the building vanished, and both could feel it clearly.
"A noble deed, saving the boy," Naden remarked as they headed back for the docks, since they saw Gareth nowhere, "but I think our chances of learning anything from The Black Anchor are ruined. Now I've no idea where to start."
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 06:36
Dauron did not have to wait long. Gareth, still staring at the barkeeper, almost growled at Dauron. "Do it, Dauron - you know I'll pay you back!!"

With that said, Gareth turned to the boy. "Come with me, Neil," he said curtly, but not unkindly. "You've had done with this place!" and grasping the youth's arm firmly, took them both out of the taproom.

Dauron approached the bartender and asked how much he wanted for the boy. "Five hundred gold pieces," the tavern keeper sneered, knowing that whatever price he asked would be received, for hadn't the foreign captain already taken his prize?

"Five hundred pieces of gold?," Dauron's look was incredulous. "For that scrawny, clumsy, useless oaf? You're mad. He isn't worth ten pieces. I'll be generous and give you 50 pieces."

"Fifty pieces? I paid a right lot more than that when he was but a more useless youngster. He's learned a lot since then and it was me who taught him." The bartender was arguing and Dauron continued to haggle.

Naden watched in disbelief as this went on until finally Dauron and the tavern owner reached an agreement. When Dauron grabbed his arm and began to drag him from the tavern, the Ranger left coins for the drinks they had bought. Dauron reached the outside and breathed in a deep breath. His flushed face began to pale to normal as the fury left him and when Naden said, "A noble deed, saving the boy," Dauron stared at him for a moment, shreds of the anger still imprinted in his eyes. After a moment, he threw his head back and laughed uproariously. "And a good deal I made for him, if I do say so myself. The fool settled for 100 gold pieces." Looking around for Gareth, neither of them caught any sight of him so the began to head back to the boat. Naden continued where he had left off, "but I think our chances of learning anything from The Black Anchor are ruined. Now I've no idea where to start."

Dauron clapped him on the shoulder. "Naden, the Black Anchor may be the best tavern to try and get information but I think we have even a better way at hand now. We have in our hands a boy who has probably seen and heard everything for the past two years and yet has been as unnoticed as a cockroach. Why don't we see what he has to say." Dauron knew he sounded heartless but was merely covering his true feelings. He could not remember when he had felt such violent fury when he saw the way the boy had been mishandled by the bar keeper and such rage frightened him. He wanted only to return to the boat and see that the boy was alright.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 07:30
"I have to get something," she remarked hastily, "Then I would be honored to join you on your ship."

Quickly she flitted in the back door, asking Gareth to wait, and returned shortly after with a sword and sheath. It was all she owned, besides the clothes that she wore.
"My father's," she remarked somewhat uneasily, fastening the sheath to the worn strap of leather that passed for her belt, "To the Elanor V?"

Gareth had waited anxiously whilst Niel scurried inside the back door of the Tavern, half-expecting to hear yells when the boy was spotted within... and tensing just in case he had to burst in to retrieve the boy from his abuser again.

But, what he felt when Niel returned with naught but a sword, was rage. How could anyone treat someone else like this? he wondered, and swallowing against a comment that wasn't needed, the half-elven fisherman nodded. "This way," he said, and headed back to the docks.

As they walked, Gareth went on, "In the morning, we'll visit the market-place and see about getting you some new clothes. I don't think any of my crew is small enough to lend you anything of theirs. - Oh...," and continuing, "Allon's my First Mate, and Bernor's Dauron's. Um... yes, well... the two back at the Tavern - my companions... Dauron's the redhead. He's captain of his own ship, but it's not here. Naden's the taller one - the dark-haired one. - And... yes... they're both quite tall - aren't they? Believe me," the half-elven fisherman added, "I feel as 'dwarfed' next to to them as... well... a Dwarf, I supose..."

Just 'why' he was babbling, Gareth couldn't figure out, and was relieved to reach the gangplank with no 'botheration' from the various groups of thugs that seemed to be ever-present on the wharf.

"The Elanor V," he announced, and resolutely not glancing at the hulk of his old ship, Gareth led the way up.

"Sir?" "Ah, Allon!" the Elanor's Captain kept his voice calm against the worry that he'd not returned with the other two who'd left. "Dauron and Naden will be following. This is Niel - he's joining the ship."

Smiling at the boy, and inwardly chuckling that it was now 'available', "I'll show you to your cabin - you're in luck - there's a spare one so you'll have a bit of privacy... which I think you could use," Gareth added rather grimly, once again abhorring the life this boy had been leading.

It was small, and it would seem that someone had cleared Calwyn's belongings from it, and the quarters were quite ready for a new occupant.

"Take a few minutes and catch your breath," the half-elven fisherman smiled, "and then come back up on deck. Do you remember the way?" he asked. "I'll give you a tour, and we'll get some dinner. I don't know about you, Niel, but I could eat my way through half the catch in the Elanor's Holds about right now. See you shortly," Gareth went on, and headed topside, leaving the youngster alone.

And, while waiting for Niel to appear, Gareth steeled himself from the 'storm' he expected to face when Dauron and Naden got back, too...

dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 02:26
Nell listened to Gareth speaking with great interest, finding his voice friendly and likable- not like anyone who had spoken to her in Umbar. She didn't respond with anything more than the occasional nod, though, having grown sorely unused to conversation, and being unsure of what to say.

The Elanor V was, she decided quickly, the most beautiful vessel she'd ever seen- and whether that was because it had been so long since she'd seen one this close, or because it reminded her of her father's small ship, she couldn't say. But beauitful it was, and as she followed the half-elf on board her thoughts went to sailing.

Take a few minutes and catch your breath," the half-elven fisherman smiled, "and then come back up on deck. Do you remember the way?" he asked. "I'll give you a tour, and we'll get some dinner. I don't know about you, Niel, but I could eat my way through half the catch in the Elanor's Holds about right now. See you shortly," Gareth went on, and headed topside, leaving the youngster alone.

Nell looked around the cabin from a spot by the door, feeling hesitant to go any further, or to touch anything within. It was small, of course, but larger than what she had been living in, and much more comfortable. She wondered if it were all a cruel dream, and if she would wake back in The Black Anchor... but when she dove onto the bed and buried her face in the pillow, she knew it was no dream.

Catch her breath? She needed to do more than that-- she was still in disguise, still Niel. And she wondered how long she could keep it up. Certainly she looked 'boyish' enough; she was thin anyway, from not eating as much as she should have, still dirty and probably smelly to match. The shirt she wore was too big and the familiar uncomfortable 'bindings' were in place. It had worked for 2 years- but none of the men in Umbar had paid her any close attention, or observed her with much scrutiny, because they didn't care. Captain Gareth seemed to care- would he see through her guise?

Even if he did, it would be a relief, she thought, and climbed out of the bed, smoothing the wrinkles she had made in the blankets and casting a last look aronud the room before she left to go back up top, almost afraid that she wouldn't get to see it again.
---

"That's true," Naden remarked in reply to Dauron's words, "Maybe the boy can tell us something useful."

He said no more, choosing to remain silent and brood over his own thoughts. All he could think about was the fact that, had that barkeeper been in any less agreeable mood, there might have been swords crossed... and that might have ended in the most terrible way.

After some walking- and more suspicious stares- the two tall men came to the Elanor V and went aboard. The ranger spotted Gareth at once and went to him, his hands deep in his pockets and his face grim.

"Gareth-" he started, restraining himself from shouting, "I realize that this is your ship, and you will do what you will here. Saving the servant was a gracious act, but you could have gotten yourself killed... we can't afford to put ourselves out like that."

He bit his tongue and said nothing more, turning to watch Niel coming up to the deck, resembling a scared rabbit when he saw all three of them there.

(I gotta run- my ride is here. hope this is ok!!!)
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 02:36
Dauron walked beside Naden, taking in his brooding expression as they strolled along the side of the street. "Naden, it was an unexpected event. None of us would have wished it to happen. But we couldn't leave the child there." As though reading Naden's mind, he continued, "I know it could have turned worse for us. And I know also that it would have played finish to our mission if it had. But it ended alright. The barkeep is happy, Gareth is happy, the child is happy....and you're not. What else is bothering you?"

They had reached the dock, having passed the thugs that Dauron had met earlier. The young men all turned away from Naden and Dauron, wanting nothing further to do with these tall men from the north. When they climbed aboard, Naden, still looking grim, called out to Gareth. As they reached the Captain's side, Naden finally released some of the intense feelings he had been holding inside.

"Gareth-" he started, restraining himself from shouting, "I realize that this is your ship, and you will do what you will here. Saving the servant was a gracious act, but you could have gotten yourself killed... we can't afford to put ourselves out like that."

Dauron looked at Gareth, his eyes rolling slightly. Then he noticed the boy crossing the deck towards the three of them. As the lad got closer, Dauron turned to Gareth and Naden.

"Talk. Make things well between you. I'm going to take the boy on a short walk. Gareth," he said, when he noticed the expression on his face, "just a walk. You can take him on a tour of the ship later." Separating from the two, he met the boy halfway.

"Niel, is it? My name is Dauron. You'll meet Naden later. But first, I need you to help me with something. There must be a sweet shop somewhere nearby. Take me to it. I am hungering for a tart or a sweet roll." Taking Niel by the arm, he led him toward the gangplank, noticing how Niel looked over his shoulder at Gareth as though he was being kidnapped. "We won't be long, lad. You'll be back onboard shortly. And...you're with me. No one will harm you."

Dauron and the boy hit the pavement and went in the direction Niel pointed. A few doors down the quiet side street they reached a baker's shop. Examining the goods through the window, Dauron smiled. "This looks perfect. Come now, pick something for yourself while I decide what I want." The two of them looked over every item on display, Dauron asking specific questions about the ingredients of each. When they had both chosen a sweet, the headed back to the ship. On the way there, Dauron glanced down at the boy, once again finding the gracefulness of his movements and the fine delicate bones of his face unusual in a male child. To take his mind away from such puzzling thoughts, he asked, "How long have you been enslaved by that oaf of a barkeeper? And where are you from? You are obvious not an Umbarian."
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 03:01

Half-defiant, Gareth considered the Ranger's words... but if he'd lost his life in the saving of Niel... so be it. And, seeing the nervous and obviously fearful youth coming up onto deck, the half-elven fisherman was unapologetic.

Before the lad came near enough to hear, though, Gareth glanced at his old friend. "Thanks, Dauron," he said softly, "I'll settle with you after the boy's asleep - if you don't mind," and turning, started to smile his welcome.
As the lad got closer, Dauron turned to Gareth and Naden.

"Talk. Make things well between you. I'm going to take the boy on a short walk. Gareth," he said, when he noticed the expression on his face, "just a walk. You can take him on a tour of the ship later." Separating from the two, he met the boy halfway.

A frown creased Gareth's brow, and the half-elf half-glared at the disappearing forms of Dauron and Niel. - And then, he looked warily at the Ranger, but was yet unrepentant. "What's to 'make right'?" Gareth growled, and glanced at the gangplank.

"You don't need me for this, Naden, not really. Dauron... Allon, or Bernor, even, are quite capable of sailing the Elanor back to Dol Amroth - if need be. The 'Black Anchor' can't be the only place to search for news! If I had to do it over - I'd do just the same!"

Lowering his voice, the half-elven fisherman snapped, "Corsairs or no... Thorongil or no... I would do the same!"
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 03:35
Nell was aware of Dauron studying her. It made her uncomfortable, but she tried to hide that, being grateul for the treat he had bought. She said a quick thank-you, as unused to being 'treated' as she was to 'conversing', and only hoping that she wouldn't offend Dauron. While they walked, she ate the pastry she had chosen. It had been ages since she'd had such a morsel - at least, since she'd had one that wasn't simply a left-over.

"How long have you been enslaved by that oaf of a barkeeper? And where are you from? You are obvious not an Umbarian."

The question threw her off and she looked up at the sailor, silent at first, then answering almost without thinking.
"Two years..." she said, "I-ah... I come from Gondor... from Dol Amroth...."
She regretted the words as soon as she'd said them, thinking sharply that she may have just took another step toward giving herself away, after she'd been so careful for so long.

You're getting too excited about leaving... you're not out of trouble yet, no matter what this fellow says...

Even so, she couldn't think of anything else to add to Niel's 'history', so she fell silent, glancing about nervously. She didn't go 'out' into the streets- she had only known the direction to the sweets shop because she had accompanied the barkeeper there once or twice to help carry back packages. She didn't trust any of the city's inhabitants...

--

"I'm not complaining about your deed, Gareth," the ranger replied, his eyes narrowed, "if given the chance to do it again, I wouldn't ask you to leave the boy behind! I'm not heartless! but Gondor is first in my mind, as she has always been. And whether you believe it or not, I don't want you to go getting yourself gutted- you're needed more than you know."

He stopped talking and took a step back, sighing heavily and wishing he had his own coat. The air was chilly.
"There is nothing to set right. The deed is done."

Another pause. Naden didn't like the tension rising between he and the half-elf; he didn't want it, and he really was glad that Gareth had 'rescued' the servant boy- but he couldn't help being annoyed. He desperatly needed to find out something...

"I'm going to do some solo spying," he said, giving Gareth a quick nod of farewell, "If I don't make it back in time for dinner, please save me something."

Without saying another word he turned and left the ship hurridly, slowing his pace once he made it to the streets. He by=passed the Black Anchor without even a glance, and went into another tavern not too far down the street- called simply, "The Storm"

Upon entering he got several looks, but his furrowed brow and grim expression warned those onlookers not to bother him, and no one approached. After sitting down he ordered an ale and sat silent, listening, hoping to hear something useful...
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 05:43
When Niel answered Dauron's questions, he stopped in his tracks. His hand on the boy's shoulder, he stopped him as well, turning him to look at Dauron.

"You are from Dol Amroth? And you've been here two years? How is that possible? How did you end up here? Were you a cabin boy on a ship that was pirated by the Corsairs?" Dauron was astonished. He had known this was no Umbarian child but to hear that he was from his own home territory caught at his heart. He tried to piece together in his mind all the ships that he knew had been pirated or sunk in the past two years. There were no more than half a dozen that he could recall and he knew the Captains of all that had been.

"What ship were you on? I knew all the captains of those that have gone missing. You must tell us what you know." He was gripping her shoulder tightly. "We will be heading back to Dol Amroth so fear not. We will take you with us, child. Your parents will be so relieved that you have survived." He was feeling incredibly pleased that some mother or father would soon have their son back from what they must have considered certain death. It was the best money he had ever spent, even if it should never have been needed in the first place.

"Come, Neil, we must hurry. Gareth and Naden will wish to hear this from you directly." Popping the last bite of his tart in his mouth, he nearly dragged the boy through the street to the ship, his long legs and long strides nearly picking the small boy off his feet in the process. Racing up the gangplank, he called to the two standing by the wheel as soon as he reached the deck, still pulling along Neil at his side.

"Gareth, Naden, you won't believe this!"
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 06:20
"There is nothing to set right. The deed is done."

Another pause.

"I'm going to do some solo spying," he said, giving Gareth a quick nod of farewell, "If I don't make it back in time for dinner, please save me something."

Without saying another word he turned and left the ship hurridly

For a long moment, Gareth didn't move, merely watching Naden's disappearing figure. Yes... Gondor was important... and at least both his friends had agreed he'd done the 'right thing' in saving Niel from that - that... and the half-elven fisherman sighed, too.

Ignoring the glances of such of his crew who were larking topside, Gareth began to pace... and wondered how long Dauron's so-called 'walk' was going to take. Yes... he trusted his old friend... but not this port.

The sound of running feet caused the half-elf to whirl.
Racing up the gangplank, he called to the two standing by the wheel as soon as he reached the deck, still pulling along Neil at his side.

"Gareth, Naden, you won't believe this!"

"Dauron!" Gareth griped, and extracated Niel from his grasp. "Are you all right?" he inquired of the lad, and then, "Dauron - calm down!" the Elanor's Captain ordered, since Niel seemed rather glassy-eyed about something. 'What', Gareth didn't know, but, "Naden's not here - he went out to... well, on his 'task'," he ended rather 'lamely', yet knew Dauron would understand.

Turning back to the boy, Gareth calmed himself down. "Let's get dinner," he said, now aware of delicious aromas wafting up from the Galley. "You can tell me what's going on while we eat - and I think Niel could use some hot tea. - Are you still hungry? - Or did those 'sweets' take the edge off?"

Muttering about 'no sense' to give the boy dessert before a regular meal, Gareth led the way below again.

"Help yourself," he smiled at Niel, and only after they were settled at the table did he address Dauron again. "All right - what won't I believe?" and waited to see which of the two would answer...
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 06:58
Nell was completely flummoxed by Dauron's actions and words, wanting to kick herself for mentioning that she was from Dol Amroth. By the time they got back to the Elanor V, she had become worried that she'd have to tell the truth and reveal her secret and recall painful memories- she truly wished her father was waiting for her back in Gondor....

"Dauron!" Gareth griped, and extracated Niel from his grasp. "Are you all right?" he inquired of the lad, and then, "Dauron - calm down!" the Elanor's Captain ordered, since Niel seemed rather glassy-eyed about something. 'What', Gareth didn't know, but, "Naden's not here - he went out to... well, on his 'task'," he ended rather 'lamely', yet knew Dauron would understand.

Turning back to the boy, Gareth calmed himself down. "Let's get dinner," he said, now aware of delicious aromas wafting up from the Galley. "You can tell me what's going on while we eat - and I think Niel could use some hot tea. - Are you still hungry? - Or did those 'sweets' take the edge off?"

Muttering about 'no sense' to give the boy dessert before a regular meal, Gareth led the way below again.

"Help yourself," he smiled at Niel, and only after they were settled at the table did he address Dauron again. "All right - what won't I believe?" and waited to see which of the two would answer...

Nell had begun eating almost immedietly- the sweets, in anything, had only wetted her appetite: this was a feast to her. Looking up as Gareth spoke, she swallowed a large bite and searched for an answer.
"I... well, I told Mister-ah-Captain- Dauron that I used to live in Gondor, in Dol Amroth...two years ago..."
Quickly she took another bite of bread, searching wildly for something to say other than the truth-- they are good men-- they payed your weight in gold to get you free!- it wouldn't matter if they knew!- but not in Umbar, not yet- you've got to trust someone...

Even after she swallowed the bread, a silence still hovered as they both waited for something more. What could she say, though? She had never considered the 'age' that Niel would be- maybe sixteen or seventeen? She hadn't looked at her own reflection clearly for a long time- and it had been known that her father kept no cabin boy on hand, so she couldnt mention his ship...

"This dinner is very good," she commented quietly, hoping to turn the subject....

---

Naden sat in the tavern for some time and heard only a few things- that the rumours were true, and an attack was indeed being planned, and that the fleet was 80 vessels strong-60 of those full of soldiers, the rest laden with supplies. That wasn't good- although valuable to know- but he didn't hear what was most important, and that was when and where.

Finally, after some time had passed, the ranger rose and paid for his half-empty tankard then went to leave. As he walked out of the door he bumped into the man who entered, and mumbled a 'sorry'. Apparantly, it was not enough. The man wheeled around and gave him a shove, sending Naden stumbling backwards down the stairs and falling on his rump right in the doorway. He scrambled to his feet and eyed the man who still stood there scowling. Naden didn't back down, but he didn't advance; instead he stood, holding the man's dark gaze with his own and feeling his anger rising again. Finally his opponant snorted and said a harsh "You aren't welcome here." before going inside and getting a few slaps on the back. Turning, Naden made his way slowly back for the Elanor V, not caring to come there too soon, though the sky was getting dark and the streets were becoming more dangerous...
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 04:24
"I... well, I told Mister-ah-Captain- Dauron that I used to live in Gondor, in Dol Amroth...two years ago..."

Niel was from Dol Amroth? Startled, Gareth exchanged a glance with Dauron. Perhaps that was why the boy seemed so familiar! And, yes... as well as his old friend did he know which vessels had gone missing - and when. And, although he was curious as to which ship Niel had been on... it was quite obvious the youth was even more nervous than before.

So... since it seemed quite clear that that experience - and what had followed were extremely upsetting to Niel. Sending Dauron a 'speaking' glance, the half-elf gave a small shake of his head. Everything had happened so quickly... and Niel needed 'time' to let it sink in. "Aradwain,"* Gareth said softly, knowing his friend would understand.
"This dinner is very good," she commented quietly, hoping to turn the subject....

"Glad you like it," Gareth smiled, and fetched them all some more tea. "Don't eat too fast, or too much, though," Dauron chimed in.

"He's right," the fisherman added, and sat down again. Grimly, since he was still disgusted at Niel's thinness, "If you try to eat too much - you'll get sick," he added, and since Allon and Bernor had just come in, turned to a discussion of the Umbarian Port-Master... getting their cargo to the Umbarian market... and the likelyhood of getting decent supplies for when they would leave for Dol Amroth... however long that might be.

"You don't think they might try to 'keep' us here - do you, sir?" Allon then asked - rather bluntly.

"I certainly hope not!" Gareth sighed, and shook his head - just as Naden appeared in the doorway.

"Well?" both Gareth and Dauron demanded, for there was a 'gleam' in the Ranger's eyes that betokened he seemed to have discovered 'something'. Yet, with all the people now in the small Galley, it was becoming crowded... and to both make more room, and hoping to ease the boy's 'stiffness', Gareth moved over closer to Niel whilst they waited...

* literally 'new-day', i.e. 'tomorrow'
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 04:11
Nell, though she didn't like the crowd, was relieved when the conversation was turned. At least maybe she'd have time to think up a suitable story...

"Well?" both Gareth and Dauron demanded, for there was a 'gleam' in the Ranger's eyes that betokened he seemed to have discovered 'something'. Yet, with all the people now in the small Galley, it was becoming crowded... and to both make more room, and hoping to ease the boy's 'stiffness', Gareth moved over closer to Niel whilst they waited...

Nell glanced at Gareth as he moved closer and, finding his attention on the tall man who had just entered, studied him again. The Captain's features were well defined. The thought that he was handsome popped into her head and she looked back at the plate hastily, blushing madly. That was really not the way to avoid letting out her secret! She was relieved that both Gareth and Dauron had been focused on the newcomer as she turned her face down, hoping no one had seen her reddening.

Naden cleared his throat and looked at those in the room- Allon and Bernor knew why they were here, and they were trusted... he looked at the boy for a moment, then shrugged as if deciding he didn't care if Neil heard or not, and sat down across from him.
"I have some bad news," he said, "The tales that came to us were true. An attack is planned. Eighty vessels, sixty of those packed with soldiers, will be heading for Gondor- but I don't know where they intend to land, and I don't know when they're going.... but now I am more urgent than ever to find out."

Nell didn't look up from her plate, but the purpose of these sailors was made instantly clear- though they had mentioned 'trade-wares' and 'fish'.... they were here on behalf of Gondor. Her respect for them increased tenfold- though she had not been in her homeland for a long time, she still loved it and had been despairing over the attack. She had heard many things over the past months. Still, she hadn't been asked, and habit wouldn't allow her to speak 'out of turn' easily...
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 06:17
It was Neil who finally told Gareth Dauron's news. They had moved to the galley where a meal had been laid out for the three of them...Gareth having told them that Naden had gone off on business of his own and would probably not be joining them.

Dauron watched the boy tuck into his meal, laughing inside at Gareth's mumblings about dessert coming before dinner. As starved as this poor child had been, he had no doubts that the pastry would not make a dent on his appetite. However, other than admitting that he was from Gondor and Dol Amroth, the child said nothing further. As both Gareth and Dauron held back from pressuring him, Neil tried to change the subject, not being very subtle about it.

"This dinner is very good," she commented quietly

Dauron caught Gareth's look and his one word suggestion that tomorrow would be another day. He nodded in silent agreement. Both suggested that Neil go easy on the food, Dauron chuckling and pointing out, "there will be more when you are hungry again...this is not your last meal."

When Allon and Bernor entered the galley, the talk that followed removed the attention from the boy, who ate quietly. Then, when Naden appeared in the doorway, the room began to feel crowded, especially considering the height of Dauron, Naden and Bernor...all well over 6 feet tall. Gareth moved closer to Neil and the men waited for Naden to speak.

Naden cleared his throat and looked at those in the room- Allon and Bernor knew why they were here, and they were trusted... he looked at the boy for a moment, then shrugged as if deciding he didn't care if Neil heard or not, and sat down across from him.

"I have some bad news," he said, "The tales that came to us were true. An attack is planned. Eighty vessels, sixty of those packed with soldiers, will be heading for Gondor- but I don't know where they intend to land, and I don't know when they're going.... but now I am more urgent than ever to find out."

While Naden filled them in on the details, though Dauron's interest in Naden's words was intense, he found his eyes wandering to Neil, noting his blush as he peeked up at Gareth. 'Strange', though Dauron and he watched more closely. When Naden had finished, Neil was purposefully staring at his plate, not lifting his eyes or saying a word. Dauron sat back, stretching his legs and wrapping his fingers behind his head, his eyes on Neil.

Quietly he commented, "I think Neil might have something to share with us about the when and where...don't you, son?" He stared at the boy as Neil raised fearful eyes.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 07:02

'Bad' news, indeed, Gareth thought soberly, and chewed on his lip. Realizing that the information Naden had not learned just might have been forthcoming at the 'Black Anchor' - if he'd not 'ruined' their chance, the half-elf studiously avoided everyone's gaze... except for shooting Niel a quick glance. The boy, however, was keeping his attention wholy on his food.
Dauron sat back, stretching his legs and wrapping his fingers behind his head, his eyes on Neil.

Quietly he commented, "I think Neil might have something to share with us about the when and where...don't you, son?" He stared at the boy as Neil raised fearful eyes.

Niel? Gareth stared at his old friend, and then at the boy. "Why Niel?" he asked bluntly - and half-defensively on the youth's part. "You don't think he is in 'league' with the Corsairs - do you?" he demanded sarcastically, and the Captain of the Elanor V glared at both Dauron and Naden, as once again, the day's 'events' overcame Gareth's temper. If there'd been 'room' in the small galley - he'd have risen to pace it.

Yet, seeing the expressions on his friend's faces... and Niel's startled look, Gareth then understood. He sighed heavily and held up his hand to stop any comments. "Sorry," he mumbled, and pressed the heels of his hands to his forehead... knowing he was tired and his nerves were on 'edge'.

"I've no 'excuses' for my temper," Gareth apologized, "but there is a... 'reason'. I don't know if any of you saw that hulk rotting on the beach when we came in... and I know, Naden, that I told you 'why' I agreed to help you. - But, what's sitting out there is what's left of the Elanor IV... and I don't want that happening to this ship, too! - It was one thing for her to be pirated... but to see what they did with her... - And then... with seeing how Niel was being treated in the Black Anchor right after that..."

Turning to the youth, the half-elven fisherman solemnly spoke... and his voice was quiet - and kind... if still a little 'strained'. "Do you know anything about the Corsairs, Niel?" Gareth asked. "Did you hear anyone talking about it at the Black Anchor? - Please... anything you can tell us will help," he added, though he did not include that it just might aid them in escaping from this place, when the time came to leave...

[Edited on 27/10/2005 by gwendeth]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 02:28
Nell felt truly sorry for Gareth as he spoke of his other ship. She could identify with him in some small way; her father's ship had been promised to her, and it had been her 'home'- in only one day it was stolen away.

"I think Neil might have something to share with us about the when and where...don't you, son?"

Nell looked up and met his gaze, not liking being observed this way at all. He seemed to be watching her closely- probably only out of concern, or curiosity- but it made her uncomfortable.

Turning to the youth, the half-elven fisherman solemnly spoke... and his voice was quiet - and kind... if still a little 'strained'. "Do you know anything about the Corsairs, Niel?" Gareth asked. "Did you hear anyone talking about it at the Black Anchor? - Please... anything you can tell us will help," he added

She looked up from the plate again, hoping that her blush had faded, and slowly nodded. Naden narrowed his eyes, obviously eager to hear whatever it was, but said nothing.
"Yes," Nell began, trying to keep her voice steady, and hopefully at an octave that was low enough... "Talk has been going on for months now- men have been getting excited, making bets and boasting about looting and killing. The fleet started out less strong than it is now, but it has grown over the past weeks. If you've heard talk of their setting out, then they're almost ready.... "

She paused and looked down again, feeling exposed under so many eyes, friendly as they were. She felt naked and awkward. Never when dealing with the people of Umbar, of course- they never gave her this scrutiny.
".. Just last night there were three men in The Anchor, looking over a map- and they said what men have been saying for a while. The corsairs will go to the Coast of Anfalas in three months."

She fell silent and watched their faces for a reaction.

Naden only grunted and clinched his fist, taking in that information unhappily.

(sorry to run...psychology class coming up >< aaargggh, I get to see how badly I failed that test the other day... )

[Edited on 27/10/2005 by dreamdancer]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 04:21
Dauron had been watching Gareth as well, and noting his taut nerves, understood some of the reasons. His friend had always been sensitive about abusive leaders; his own men would have followed him willingly to death had he asked due to his fair, just, and respectful treatment of them..and their families. Watching his reaction to the abuse of Neil was no surprise to Dauron, nor was his trying to handle the barkeeper with reasoned tones. But the red headed Captain was tougher than Gareth and had known he would make no headway that way. Coinage bought the day, but it upset his friend.

Then there was the matter of the wreck down the beach from the docks. Gareth had not been the only one to recognize it's heritage. Dauron had sailed on board that ship as a child, admiring Gareth as it's Captain, which led to his becoming as entranced with sailing as he had become. He felt a deep wound in his heart when he spied the ship and knew that Gareth must be feeling ten times the pain.

When Gareth asked Neil what Dauron was already certain the boy knew, he waited for the boy's response. "Did you hear anyone talking about it at the Black Anchor? - Please... anything you can tell us will help," Gareth asked.

She looked up from the plate again, hoping that her blush had faded, and slowly nodded. Naden narrowed his eyes, obviously eager to hear whatever it was, but said nothing.

"Yes," Nell began, trying to keep her voice steady, and hopefully at an octave that was low enough... "Talk has been going on for months now- men have been getting excited, making bets and boasting about looting and killing. The fleet started out less strong than it is now, but it has grown over the past weeks. If you've heard talk of their setting out, then they're almost ready.... "

She finished with,".. Just last night there were three men in The Anchor, looking over a map- and they said what men have been saying for a while. The corsairs will go to the Coast of Anfalas in three months."

Naden grunted, Gareth was silent but Dauron leaned forward, his elbows on the table. "Neil, you have lived among these people for two years now. I would suspect that you have heard much yet been noticed little. Tell us what you think all this means, as I'm sure you have an opinion. Have you seen any specific preparations....the purchase of supplies, of beer kegs, of weapons? I know you were not out on the streets often..I could tell by your behaviour when we went to the baker's shop...but you may have seen more than you realize. Tell us everything you can think of."

Turning to Gareth and Naden, he shook his head in frustration. "This may hamper our leaving port if we do not do so soon. They will lock off the port, restrict the comings and goings of all but the battle-related ships." Staring Naden directly in the eye, he asked, "With what Neil can tell us and what you have learned yourself, how much more time do you think we'll need here. I do not feel comfortable lingering any longer than absolutely necessary."
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 04:46
Naden grunted, Gareth was silent but Dauron leaned forward, his elbows on the table. "Neil, you have lived among these people for two years now. I would suspect that you have heard much yet been noticed little. Tell us what you think all this means, as I'm sure you have an opinion. Have you seen any specific preparations....the purchase of supplies, of beer kegs, of weapons? I know you were not out on the streets often..I could tell by your behaviour when we went to the baker's shop...but you may have seen more than you realize. Tell us everything you can think of."

Nell felt their eyes on her even harder, and without meaning to she crouched a little in the seat.
"There has been more business at the Anchor of late- and Toban recently sold a large supply of his beer- I had to help load it on the carts. More men have been showing up than usual, strangers who I'd never seen before, armed under their garments..."
She poked at a potatoe with her fork, pushing it around the plate.
"... and some of the shop keepers- those who sell food in the market, and others, have been spending more gold than they should even have, buying large rounds of drinks for everyone in the tavern.... there was a ship brought in not long ago, and prisoners. A blacksmith who has never spent more than one coin in the Anchor a week came back with two servants, suddenly wealthy- he has been forging weapons and armor, I guess..."
She paused again and stabbed the offending potatoe with the fork.
"... the streets have been busier, and more crowded, as I could see from my window. Always horse-drawn carts bearing packages, most covered from sight rolling down them for the last two months. Talk of war and conquest, even without mention of Gondor's name, is ever prevalent at night when men have drinks to losen their tongues. I have been growing afraid for Gondor...."
She sighed and set down the fork, no longer hungry.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 06:01

She finished with,".. Just last night there were three men in The Anchor, looking over a map- and they said what men have been saying for a while. The corsairs will go to the Coast of Anfalas in three months."

Gareth said nothing after Niel fell silent. Anfalas was a long coastline, stretching hundreds of miles between Edhellond and the Cape of Andrast. How well Dauron knew it... the half-elven fisherman didn't know... but then, he'd been sailing it for centuries... and his friend was only into his third decade. The location was just too... 'vague' for Gareth Silverlake's liking... though it wasn't Niel's fault at all.

Yet, Dauron was smart, because he immediately launched into another set of questions - for as much detail as Niel could remember hearing.
Dauron leaned forward, his elbows on the table. "Neil, you have lived among these people for two years now. I would suspect that you have heard much yet been noticed little. Tell us what you think all this means, as I'm sure you have an opinion. Have you seen any specific preparations....the purchase of supplies, of beer kegs, of weapons? I know you were not out on the streets often..I could tell by your behaviour when we went to the baker's shop...but you may have seen more than you realize. Tell us everything you can think of."

Turning to Gareth and Naden, he shook his head in frustration. "This may hamper our leaving port if we do not do so soon. They will lock off the port, restrict the comings and goings of all but the battle-related ships." Staring Naden directly in the eye, he asked, "With what Neil can tell us and what you have learned yourself, how much more time do you think we'll need here. I do not feel comfortable lingering any longer than absolutely necessary."

While he listened to the boy's answer, Gareth pondered the last bit of Dauron's comments. He wasn't comfortable 'lingering' here? Most certainly, neither was the Captain of the Elanor V.

And, the details Niel gave were unnerving to say the least... and Gareth felt bad for the youth when he seemed to shrink away from the intense gazes he was receiving.
Talk of war and conquest, even without mention of Gondor's name, is ever prevalent at night when men have drinks to losen their tongues. I have been growing afraid for Gondor...."
She sighed and set down the fork, no longer hungry.

Before either Dauron or Naden could form any other questions, Gareth spoke up. "Thank you, Neil... that's helpful."

Turning his attention to his friends and Allon and Bernor who had been listening too, "And I agree with Dauron - the longer we stay, the more suspicion will be sent in our direction. Tomorrow," and only a glance he sent to Niel, "we'll be unloading the cargo and getting it to the Market. The day after, we'll do the resupplying. It would seem," and the half-elf's voice became 'ironic', "with everything Neil's told us, what we'll need should be readily available - though I suspect we'll pay 'dearly' for it."

Looking directly at Naden, "If we are who we've 'said' we are - they'll expect us to leave at the next high tide after everything's stowed. That's likely when we'll need to be most 'on guard'... but we will be the whole time - of that you can be sure! If you've not learned what you want to by then, I can - perhaps - come up with a reasonable 'excuse' for missing it... but not the next. - And... as much as I'd like to... I won't take the tide out. We'll leave in the middle of the night when - I dearly hope - they'll least expect it."

Pausing to drain his tea, Gareth rose to his feet, and went on, with both requests, and orders. "Dauron - I'd appreciate it if you'd double-check that everyone is unobservably armed. - It's one thing for you, and I, and Naden, but we dare not have it known the crew is, too. - Allon, Bernor, double-Watches from here on out - and I don't want either of you on at the same time. Tough, I know, but I'm not taking any chances with our 'way' to get out of here. Naden, you know we're all behind this - and here for you, even if I'm being cautious... and wasn't... 'subtle' at the Black Anchor."

And, smiling kindly at the reason he'd not been... 'subtle', Niel, I believe I promised you a tour of the Elanor V - shall we?" and waited for the boy to get up, and then follow him out into the corridor. "We'll start on the cargo deck and make our way Topside," Gareth began, "Unless you'd like to start there first..."
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 03:45
When Neil had finished sharing with the three northerners what he had observed, it was obvious to them that an invasion was definitely being prepared for .... and soon. He noticed that Gareth had actually lost some of his earlier unfocussed tension, converting it instead to being the leader that he had always been.

When Gareth decided that they should leave in the dead of night when their own plans were complete...that of unloading the fish and trade goods they had landed with and resupplying what the needed to make it back to Dol Amroth...Dauron went to the chart shelf and pulled down one of the smaller of them, laying it out on the table and weighting down its corners. He bent over it, reading the details written upon it. Glancing up, he faced Gareth and Naden.

"Two days from now, high tide will be two in the afternoon. That is when they will expect us to embark. However, if we can work efficiently, unloading our wares in the morning and simultaneously loading in the afternoon what we need to make it home, we could leave on the high tide which will rise at 1:30 in the morning....a good twelve or more hours before they even begin to imagine our thoughts. That would also give us a twelve hour lead on anyone who would consider chasing us from behind. There will be no moon that night which should make our leaving even more hidden and unseen." He eyed Gareth, knowing he understood exactly what he meant.

Gareth drained his tea and one of his first requests was to Dauron. "Dauron - I'd appreciate it if you'd double-check that everyone is unobservably armed. - It's one thing for you, and I, and Naden, but we dare not have it known the crew is, too." Orders followed to both Bernor and Allon as well and assurances to Naden that, regardless of his actions at the Black Anchor, Gareth was still supporting Naden's quest, simply being reasonable about their chances beyond a day or two longer.

When Gareth had finally stopped to take Neil on the tour he had promised, the four men stayed at the table and made their plans. Naden look was dark but he was aware of what danger the ship and crew might be in. Allon and Bernor went on their way and Dauron stood, swallowing the last of his tea and setting the cup on the table. Rolling the chart up, he stuck it back on the shelf and excused himself to Naden.

"I have much to do and little time to do it. I think we have discovered as much as we're going to at this time but I think it is also enough. Goodnight, my friend. Sleep long and hard tonight as we won't get much in the next few days." Patting Naden on the shoulder, Dauron went off to search for Bernor and Allon, who had both gone below deck to gather whatever weapons were onboard into one central location. One by one, they handed them out to the sailors, who, wide-eyed, tucked them into whatever belt or tie they had as part of their clothing.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 29, 2005 04:46
And, smiling kindly at the reason he'd not been... 'subtle', Niel, I believe I promised you a tour of the Elanor V - shall we?" and waited for the boy to get up, and then follow him out into the corridor. "We'll start on the cargo deck and make our way Topside," Gareth began, "Unless you'd like to start there first..."

"It doesn't matter," Nell replied, offering a smile of her own in return to the Captain's,- the first genuine smile she'd given in a long while. "We can start below."

The 'parts' of the ship, and what was done in each was nothing new to Nell. Being in a vessel so like to her father's, though, made her miss the old man dearly- she had not often allowed herself to dwell on memories before, but now they couldn't be kept at bay. She had seen her father and this kindly half-elven captain speaking once or twice, and had even known them to share a drink once- she wondered if he remembered the man well, or at all...

By the time they came topside and could see sky open above them her eyes were misty with tears long supressed. Sniffling a little she wiped at them and smiled again at Gareth.
"She's beautiful," she said, in relation to the Elanor V, "And very well built- any sailor should count himself lucky to serve on this ship."
---

"I have much to do and little time to do it. I think we have discovered as much as we're going to at this time but I think it is also enough. Goodnight, my friend. Sleep long and hard tonight as we won't get much in the next few days." Patting Naden on the shoulder, Dauron went off to search for Bernor and Allon.

Naden made no reply, but remained alone at the table for some time, brooding. As far as he was concerned, they had learned a great deal from Niel already- he would be content to leave as soon as possible. Simply knowing that they had three months was enough to make the news urgent- Thorongil needed it more than ever. Defenses would have to be prepared or sent, and that would take time. Sighing, after a while he stood and stretched, thinking that if they made it out of Umbar alive he would owe his friends more than the money promised.
As he made his way to his cabin he made a mental note that he should go back to another tavern the next day and see if he could learn anything more- any 'news' would be of value.

(I'm half-asleep, hope this one is alright.)
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 31, 2005 08:37
Greatly Gareth had appreciated Dauron's quick understanding, and was eased in mind as he began the tour. Very quickly, he saw that ships were not a 'new thing' to Niel, and the half-elf soon changed to going over what was 'specific' to the Elanor V.

And, when they reached Topside again, Gareth was surprised when the youth sniffled just a bit.
"She's beautiful," she said, in relation to the Elanor V, "And very well built- any sailor should count himself lucky to serve on this ship."

"Thank you," Gareth answered, but threw a pained look towards the North-side beach... for as fine a vessel as the Elanor V was... her predecessor had been even better.

Yet, glancing at the stars, "Go get some sleep, Niel," the fisherman ordered in a kind voice, "We'll need to start unloading early - and you need rest. With Dauron handling the supplies, and your extra pair of hands, I think we'll do well."

It wasn't long after the boy went below, that Gareth, himself retired... but it was uneasily he slept, and long before dawn that he was up again.

And, as the Elanor's crew stirred to grab a quick (but hearty) breakfast, he smiled in greeting when Niel hesitantly appeared in the Galley. Though Gareth didn't have but a small bite himself, the Sea-captain was pleased to see Niel eat well... and then got them all set to working, and it was with relief that Gareth saw Nedin's grudgingly-promised carts arrive a short time later.

Given his task, Niel bent to it with a will that (inwardly) made Gareth fume at the Black Anchor's Inkeeper. He wasn't... perhaps... as 'strong' as a boy his age ought to be, but he certainly was trying. Nor was it long before the half-elven fisherman was assisting, too. The sooner they got everything 'done', the better... and Gareth ignored the strange looks from the Umbarians as the Gondorian Captain dirtied his hands loading the fish onto the waiting wagons.

When they were done, Gareth ran to his cabin to clean up just a bit, picking up one item he'd thought about, and called Niel to him.

"Here," he said, and handed the boy a sturdy dagger. "Hide this well, lad," the half-elf told him. "Your sword would be remarked - but I don't want you unarmed while we're out and about."

Gareth then scurried to have a quiet word with his old friend. "Dauron," he said, pulling the Flying Gull's Captain aside, "If there's any trouble at the marketplace and we don't return by nightfall, I do not want any 'rescues'! As soon as you're loaded and Naden's sure he's got all the information he needs, get him and the Elanor out of here - as fast as you can - do you understand me?"
<< First45678Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email