Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
Post RE: Eyes of Thorongil (Semi-scripted - please see OOC) [KEEP]
on: August 28, 2005 10:13
(Sorry, Adriel, my neck was stiff and my mouth was dry from hanging open for so long. But I think what I'm about to say is a very probable possibility for a Corsair)

Dauron had unthinkingly opened the door after one knock, sticking his head through the opening to offer Calwyn some cider, believing her to be still suffering from the roll of the seas. What he saw froze his voice. Calwyn was bare from the waist up, her back to the door. She had obviously been removing her drenched clothing and now turned her head, glancing at him over her shoulder. His eyes had at first gazed at her bare back until he noticed a small mark of some sort in the small of her back. Looking closer, he realized that it was the mark of the Corsairs, a tattoo common to the sailors of the South though usually displayed in more obvious locations, such as their upper arms or their chests. He stared at it for a long moment, then his eyes rose to meet hers, puzzled and troubled. She rapidly threw a blanket around her shoulders, covering the small mark from view. The look in her eyes forced him to back out of the room immediately, though he didn't know whether it was sheer defiance or simply anger at his barging into her room unannounced.

He had closed the door and was standing dumbfounded in the corridor as Gareth brushed passed him, winking and asking if everything was well. He barely noticed other than to hear the words. "Well? Nothing will ever be well again," he thought. "What have I done? What kind of peril have I placed my friends in? I have brought a Corsair spy into their midst. It's like bringing a snake into a nest of mice." He was furious, though whether with himself or Calwyn, he could not say. A small voice spoke in his heart..."maybe she was taken by them as a child. Maybe she was a slave. Maybe there's another explanation"...but it was a very small voice and carried little weight against his thoughts.

Still carrying the forgotten mug of cider, he pivoted around and dashed for the steps to the deck. Running across the deck towards the great ship's wheel, he almost skidded on the wet deck to a halt next to Gareth. Pale, eyes wide with shock, he faced his oldest and dearest friend, one who he had placed in danger.

"Gareth..." After a moment's hesitation, he blurted out, "I believe we have a spy onboard."

[Edited on 28/8/2005 by berethedhellen]
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 29, 2005 06:06
"Good man!" Gareth nodded, and thumped the Ranger's back. "Suit yourself as to staying here, or coming up with me," he said, "Night-time asea is an incredible thing to see."

Naden remained where he was for only a moment before getting to his feet and setting down the tankard, taking a few uneasy steps forward. He would have liked to get to bed- but he figured he could go up on deck and see what 'incredible thing' Gareth had spoken of.

He was just in time to see Dauron rushing for the deck as though he had been frightened. This cured Naden's shakiness in a heart-beat and he followed quickening his own pace. He came up on board and approached to hear Dauron speak.

Gareth..." After a moment's hesitation, he blurted out, "I believe we have a spy onboard."

The ranger stopped where he stood, pulling the blanket closer around himself. The pleasant mood he had gotten from the cider vanished, and his intent to study the night sky was forgotten; striding over (still a little unsteady) he came to a stop beside the captain and his friend, narrowing his eyes at them both. He said nothing, but waited to find out who Dauron spoke of. One thing was certain; if the man was correct, there was going to be some trouble. That much could be gathered from the expression on his face.
adriel_aroura
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2005 03:01
(eep! Ok, lol, I'm back! Yay! Sry I was gone for so long!^^

and lol, I didn't know Rielle had a tatoo....@.@ but that's ok, I guess. Now I'll just have to think of a good excuse.....lol))

Rielle shivered into her blanket as she quickly sat down on her bed to gather her thoughts. Automatically her hand moved to the print on her back...and she stared at the door where Dauron had just left, with her heart beating with a sudden icy fear that had nothing to do with the cold from the storm.

How dare had Dauron just burst into her room like that? And how could she have been so careless to not lock the door? She could still see his face before her, suddenly filled with shock as he stared at her. Burying her face into her hands, she worked her head furiously and desperately. Had she just destroyed her entire mission in such a fast moment? Or....was it possible Dauron could still...have some tinge of doubt in his heart, and not betray her identity until he was sure about it all?

Well....she would have to trust herself on that. Perhaps....Dauron would love her enough to keep silent for a little while longer... of course, she would still go after him to see what happens. So thinking, she stood up from her bed, and quickly dressed herself in dry, clean clothes. Then, quickly going over to her desk, she took out a paper and scribbled another note to her Father, and called her bird over to have it take it away.

It simply read:

Father,

I am not sure, but there may be people who are suspicious now of me....I may have accidentally done a careless slip. I am terribly sorry, but I must urge you to start getting your men together now.....we'll be at Umbar before long and you may have to attack soon. I am now quite sure that these were the men you were looking for.

Rielle

She watched the grey gull set off again through the night air, then turned and went to her door. She had better be there if Dauron would say anything....but deep down in her heart, she hoped that he would actually care enough about her still to remain silent.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: August 30, 2005 03:45
Running across the deck towards the great ship's wheel, he almost skidded on the wet deck to a halt next to Gareth. Pale, eyes wide with shock, he faced his oldest and dearest friend, one who he had placed in danger.

"Gareth..." After a moment's hesitation, he blurted out, "I believe we have a spy onboard."

Gareth had been enjoying being back at the Wheel of his ship. There was yet the occasional heavy roller, but mostly, the waves had calmed considerably. In fact, so 'lost' was he in the 'freedom' he felt out at sea, that when Dauron nearly slid into him, the half-elven Captain jumped.

And then, he stared.

On the heels of that statement, and quite soon enough that he, too, heard it - was a clearly-unhappy Naden.

"Who?" Gareth demanded to know, and then bit his lip and stared even more closely at his very old friend. Everyone - everyone on board the Elanor V he knew very, very well. Except for the Ranger, and... a chill struck him.

Gareth Silverlake was no fool. Had Daerhil been 'right'? he wondered.

In a low voice, he then asked, "Calwyn?"

[Edited on 31/8/2005 by gwendeth]
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
adriel_aroura
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2005 04:59
Rielle burst onto the deck, seconds after Naden, her long cloak pulled tightly around her against the night wind. She was just in time to hear the whole conversation so far, and suddenly her insides felt like ice. But nevertheless, she tried to keep up an innocent face, hoping her presence would warm Dauron's heart up to keep silent, and asked, her voice still sounding clear, "Yes- what about me, Captain Gareth?"

(sry such a short post....but I had to do this for Rielle's sake^^)

[Edited on 31/8/2005 by adriel_aroura]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: August 30, 2005 06:55
Dauron heard Gareth's softly spoken question.

"Calwyn?"

Before Dauron could respond, the musical voice of Calwyn interrupted. "Yes- what about me, Captain Gareth?"

Dauron met Gareth's eyes and it was obvious both had the same thought. With an almost imperceptible nod towards Gareth and Naden, Dauron turned abruptly, a smile on his face. "Calwyn! Are you feeling better, my dear? I brought you some of this cider," he held out his hand, still holding the mug of cider, now slightly cool, "and I never thought before I burst into your room without your invitation. Can you forgive my rudeness? I should have suspected you might have been removing your wet clothes. I am blessing the darkness as I'm sure I am blushing with embarrassment." He stepped closer to her, handing the mug to her. "I know it is cooler than it was, but I'm certain it will make you feel better. Perhaps with this small gift you will forgive me." His arm went around her shoulders and he squeezed her to him for a brief moment. "Ahhh, you are chilled, I can feel it. Let me take you back inside for the air is becoming colder by the moment. Gareth, Naden, you will excuse us, won't you?"

Dauron turned away from Gareth and Naden, pulling Calwyn with him, thinking to himself he was babbling too much. She would surely suspect something was not right if he didn't stop talking. As they walked back across the deck, his arm still around her shoulders, he glanced back at the two standing by the wheel watching them. Lifting one finger from Calwyn's shoulder, he gave a short quick nod again at Gareth and Naden...."Wait" he seemed to say.

"I understand the cook has fired the galley and dinner is almost ready. Are you hungry?" he asked Calwyn, bending his head to give her a quick kiss on the top of hers.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 31, 2005 12:12
Dauron turned away from Gareth and Naden, pulling Calwyn with him, thinking to himself he was babbling too much. She would surely suspect something was not right if he didn't stop talking. As they walked back across the deck, his arm still around her shoulders, he glanced back at the two standing by the wheel watching them. Lifting one finger from Calwyn's shoulder, he gave a short quick nod again at Gareth and Naden...."Wait" he seemed to say.

When Dauron and Calwyn were out of hearing range, Naden sighed and shook his head solemnly. He had caught Dauron's 'sign'- the man obviously wanted to believe that his love was innocent, but the ranger could tell it was doubtful that he did. As for himself, the smallest part of his instincts had felt that something was a bit 'off' about the girl in the first place. He had disregarded it until now, attributing it to his worry about being discovered, to his reluctance to let anyone find out about his mission.

"If she is indeed a spy, Gareth," he remarked slowly, turning his eyes at last to the sky, observing the spray of new stars that twinkled there, "If she is a spy and has used her charms to decieve, action will have to be taken. Before we arrive at Umbar--- my mission is urgent and cannot be threatened, especially not now. The danger is already there and we cannot afford to have it made worse. But by Eru...," he sighed heavily and pulled the blanket tighter around broad shoulders. "What can we do? I don't want to hurt the girl..."

He stood silent for a few moments before looking at the captain again and hitching one shoulder in a somber, half-hearted shrug.
"Perhaps I was right in what I heard-- bringing this woman aboard may have resulted in bad luck after all."
gwendeth
Send Message
on: August 31, 2005 12:29
Dauron's first small nod 'told' Gareth he was right. And, trusting his old friend, did not follow. Dauron was in shock, but had 'recovered' quickly - and to the half-elf's small relief.
"If she is indeed a spy, Gareth," he remarked slowly, turning his eyes at last to the sky, observing the spray of new stars that twinkled there, "If she is a spy and has used her charms to decieve, action will have to be taken. Before we arrive at Umbar--- my mission is urgent and cannot be threatened, especially not now. The danger is already there and we cannot afford to have it made worse. But by Eru...," he sighed heavily and pulled the blanket tighter around broad shoulders. "What can we do? I don't want to hurt the girl..."

He stood silent for a few moments before looking at the captain again and hitching one shoulder in a somber, half-hearted shrug.
"Perhaps I was right in what I heard-- bringing this woman aboard may have resulted in bad luck after all."

"Bad luck as a spy, yes..." Gareth said thoughtfully. "She could be held in her cabin, I suppose. But, Calwyn can't 'deceive' us any longer - we're 'on' to her. Dauron, I think has 'disarmed' her of at least his suspicion - which is to the good. What I would like to know, is who sent her? Why was she in Dol Amroth? And... how long was she there before 'finding' Dauron? Her... 'meeting' with him seemed innocent enough - but now, I wonder."

Gareth shook his head, "For now - we'll have to wait... as Dauron's bid us. We'll have to be careful though - much more than we'd thought!"

The half-elven fisher-captain cast a glance at the door to the stairs leading below. "I wonder what made Dauron decide that Calwyn is a spy," he commented, and sighed. 'Wait' they'd have to - and Gareth was becoming 'uneasy' about this mission of Naden's...
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 01, 2005 10:50
As they entered the galley, having descended into the lower level of the ship, the chef (not called, as many of his kind were, Cookie, due to his incredible talents as a true chef) glanced up at Dauron and Calwyn. "Dinner will be but a few moments more but please, sit yourselves down." Scurrying around, he laid out plates and utensils, all the while lifting the lids and checking his pots. The aroma filled Dauron's nose and his stomach grumbled accordingly. He and Calwyn continued to chat, he telling her about storms from his past, assuring her that this one was minor by comparison.

Bernor entered the galley with a small bucket of coals for the stove, glancing at Dauron and Calwyn as he walked across the galley floor. He bowed his head slightly at his Captain and nodded briefly at Calwyn, the expression on his face totally blank. Handing the bucket to the chef, he turned sharply and stalked towards the door.

Dauron excused himself from Calwyn, saying, "My love, I must go speak with Bernor. Someone must relieve Gareth so he can come and eat. Allon has already done his stint and cannot be called back until he has had some rest. Stay here where it is warm and I promise you, I shall return shortly." He rose from the table and called out, "Bernor! Hold just a moment. I need to speak with you."

When he left the galley, he found Bernor standing near the foot of the staircase to the deck. Looking back over his shoulder towards the galley to be certain the door was closed, he grabbed Bernor's arm. "Alright, my friend. Up to the deck....now." Bernor stared at Dauron for a moment, trying to read the expression on his face, then turned and climbed to the deck. Dauron was right behind him and closed the hatch door, turning to Bernor once again. "Now, tell me what you know."

"Sir?" Bernor looked at him questioningly. "What I know about what?"

"What you know about Calwyn...and don't give me that look! You know of what I speak. You've been watching Calwyn with a scowl on your face since we came aboard. Why? Tell me." Dauron waited, watching the changing expressions cross his First Mate's face until it finally settled on one of resignation.

"Rumours, sir, is all...just rumours." His head sunk lower on his chest and he refused to make eye contact with Dauron.

"What kind of rumours, Bernor?" Dauron asked, his voice ominous in it's depth and pitch.

Bernor lifted his eyes to meet Dauron's. He was obviously trying to find a way out of this conversation but knew from the glare in Dauron's eyes that he'd best tell the truth. "Sir, what I've heard is that she's not a Gondorian lass, though she gives that impression. And that she's been seen sharing a meal with two men from the south in one of the lower taverns. She seemed to know them well, too well was what I heard." It was his turn to witness the changing expressions on Dauron's face. "That's all I heard, sir, that's all. Oh, one other thing, though this may mean nothing. When I was pulling ropes, I noticed a gray gull flying from the side of the boat near the lady's porthole. At the time, I thought it was just a bird who had gotten lost in the storm but... Well, anyway, that's all I know."

Dauron stood staring off into the distance for a moment, while Bernor shifted from foot to foot, wondering what to do next. His orders came without Dauron even looking in his direction. "Go, take the wheel from Gareth. Tell him I'll be waiting here for him but to hurry. We must get back to the galley soon before she suspects.....nevermind. Just go!" He watched as Bernor hurried across the deck, his mind wondering how to tell Gareth..... looking up, he noticed Naden walking at Gareth's side ....yes, and Naden, too, what he knew and how they were to deal with this troubling situation.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 01, 2005 01:54
Naden accompanied Gareth to where Dauron stood. His own expression was dark; This was a turn of events he could not afford.
How could I have been so careless? He thought, I should have listened to my gut.. and we all should have listened to Daerhil.

"What did you find out?" He asked when they stopped by Dauron. He could see that the subject was heavy for the man. The ranger was sympathetic, having been, in a sense, 'blinded' by love in his youth, but the mission had to come first.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 01, 2005 03:39
Gareth and Naden had waited in silence... there wasn't much else they could do. Yet, the half-elven fisherman kept glancing around his ship anxiously. He did not want the Elanor V to follow in the (near-literal) 'wake' of her predecessor.

Before long, though, and uneasy-looking Bernor joined them at the wheel. "Capt. Dauron wants to talk to you, sirs, - by the forward hatch!" the man said quickly, and motioned Gareth to move over.

With a nod, the change was made, and with the capable Bernor steering, the two hurried to where a very-anxious Dauron was waiting.

"Well?" Gareth demanded, without preamble, yet very, very quietly...
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 02, 2005 06:43
Dauron waited until the two joined him, looking over his shoulder every few seconds towards the hatch door. He hoped that the cook had set out a meal for Calwyn and that she was busy eating for he little wanted her to appear right at this moment.

"Well?" was the only questioning word spoken by Gareth.

"What did you find out?" asked Naden, getting right to the heart of it.

Dauron looked from one to the other, hesitating briefly while he tried to determine how best to tell them his suspicions...and fears. He began with the sight of the tattoo and followed with his questioning of Bernor and his First Mate's answers. "One oddity might be overlooked or explained. But all together it seems unlikely that there could be an explanation to account for all this." He looked totally bereft as he continued. "Know this, Gareth, I would that there be one that could wash all these fears away."

His voice was choked as he said, "I loved her and was planning to marry her. Instead, I fear I have put all of us in danger." He stiffened for a moment then finished by saying, "But apologies are worthless. We must take whatever steps are necessary to assure ourselves that our mission is not compromised. I had thought to continue to pretend we knew nothing but simply watch her in return to see what she is up to. But I must admit my heart wants to ask her outright, hopefully hearing from her a plausible reason behind all that we have heard."

He once again made eye contact with Gareth and Naden, his chin high and his lips tight until he spoke once more. "I leave the decision to you two as to how you think we should handle this. Naden, your mission is at stake. Gareth, your ship is at stake. What shall we do when we reach the galley?"
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 03, 2005 07:25
"I loved her and was planning to marry her. Instead, I fear I have put all of us in danger." He stiffened for a moment then finished by saying, "But apologies are worthless. We must take whatever steps are necessary to assure ourselves that our mission is not compromised. I had thought to continue to pretend we knew nothing but simply watch her in return to see what she is up to. But I must admit my heart wants to ask her outright, hopefully hearing from her a plausible reason behind all that we have heard."

He once again made eye contact with Gareth and Naden, his chin high and his lips tight until he spoke once more. "I leave the decision to you two as to how you think we should handle this. Naden, your mission is at stake. Gareth, your ship is at stake. What shall we do when we reach the galley?"

Naden felt dread gnawing at him with this new situation- but he felt sympathy for Dauron. He wanted to believe that Calwyn was no spy- and the ranger wanted to believe the same, just for different reasons. Sighing, he massaged his temples with two fingers.
"We still have some time- I vote that we wait and watch. If she has been sending out a message-gull, then we may be expected already in Umbar, so there is nothing we can do about that. I say watch her closely, make sure she can't send anything else if she was using a message-gull at all. If she doesn't suspect anything, make mention of her tatoo and see what excuse she gives for having it. I am leaning toward her being a spy- but I am willing to wait and hope that it is otherwise. If our fears are affirmed...." he paused, looking over Dauron's shoulder at the door, "If we find out she is a spy, or if we cannot find out otherwise, we may simply have to leave her guarded on the ship once we reach Umbar. Like I've said, this mission cannot be compromised- at least, not any more than it already is."
Naden said the last sentence with a hint of an attitude, crossing his broad arms. He didn't blame Dauron for what had transpired- but he was annoyed, nonetheless.
"Those are my thoughts anyway. I have a bow and arrows. If I see any gray gulls near the ship, I don't think I shall hesitate before shooting- especially if they near Calwyn's porthole."

(hope this is ok-- I'm half-asleep XD)
gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 04, 2005 09:47
(( dd! ))

A chill went through Gareth as he listened first to Dauron, and then Naden... yet, he knew they'd not much time, lest Calwyn become 'suspicious' at the delay. His blue-grey eyes had turned 'stormy-looking' again, and the half-elven fisherman stared blankly out into the inky blackness. If he 'lost' the Elanor V... what then? How they could escape Umbar... Naden's 'mission' aside, was something that worried him greatly.

"We can't do anything else," Gareth agreed in a low voice, wondering how he had 'missed' seeing the gull. - Though... it wasn't 'unusual' for storm-blown sea-birds to seek refuge on a ship at sea. "Not until we all 'know' for sure. We will also have to be more careful, ourselves... I know there's got to be more information you haven't yet shared with us, Naden."

But, "Come on," he went on heavily, and setting a 'smile' on his face that didn't reach his eyes, Gareth led the way back down to the Galley.

"Are you feeling 'better'?" he inquired solicitously, as the three came in, though the Elanor's Captain avoided the woman's eyes by heading straight for the stove. "Something 'good' as always!" he tried to 'jokingly' complement his ship's chef, and began setting plates on the table...
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 04, 2005 10:35
Dauron let the other two talk; he had spoken all he wanted to at the moment. What else could he say? Had he been a fool, taken in by a beautiful women with a charming smile and soft eyes? He had been a ladies' man for so long that his father swore he'd never marry, would never continue the family line, and here he had been, ready to prove his father wrong. He had really not been payng enough attention to this mission, he knew that now. As he looked into the stormy eyes of his friend and the troubled ones of the Ranger, he realized how badly he had compromised this mission and placed them in possible danger. Most importantly, though why it crossed his mind, was how he would regret deeply if anything happened to Gareth's first love, the Elanor V.

Gareth and Naden apparently both agreed that the best way to handle the situation was to keep Calwyn under a discreet watch, though Naden's comment that, "I have a bow and arrows. If I see any gray gulls near the ship, I don't think I shall hesitate before shooting- especially if they near Calwyn's porthole," did make Dauron chuckle slightly. He became serious once again in a moment though, and turned to listen to Gareth.

"We can't do anything else," Gareth agreed in a low voice, wondering how he had 'missed' seeing the gull.

"I have a thought. If she is assuming that we are heading for the market ports of Umbar, perhaps we can call her hand if we were to make a sudden change of destination. Change the route to Tol Falas... or the area of South Gondor, Harandor. No, Tol Falas would be more believable. I can tell her I'm taking her to meet my family...that you, Gareth, had suggested this as we are in no hurry to be anywhere at any given time. If she has been contacting anyone of the Corsairs, it would certainly throw off their timing and their plan. Surely she would want to contact them of such a change." Smiling with genuine amusement, the first he had felt since seeing the tattoo on Calwyn's back, he said to Naden, "You may yet get the opportunity to use your arrows." He waited while they absorbed his suggestions but knew Gareth well enough to know that it would take a bit of time for him to make his decision and would not respond at once. He was right as Gareth responded.

"Come on," he went on heavily, and setting a 'smile' on his face that didn't reach his eyes, Gareth led the way back down to the Galley.

The hurriedly descended below deck and to the galley. Gareth was the first to enter and he greeted Calwyn with false cheerfulness."Are you feeling 'better'?" he inquired solicitously. Dauron immediately went to sit next to Calwyn, and where before he might have placed a light kiss on her forehead, now he simply reached for her hand, squeezing it slightly. " Yes, my dear, how are you feeling? You look much better..color has returned to your cheeks." As Naden sat across the table from the pair, Dauron smiled impishly and added, " And Naden certainly looks MUCH better than he did." Dauron was keeping things as light as his heavy heart could manage.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 08, 2005 07:53
" Yes, my dear, how are you feeling? You look much better..color has returned to your cheeks." As Naden sat across the table from the pair, Dauron smiled impishly and added, " And Naden certainly looks MUCH better than he did." Dauron was keeping things as light as his heavy heart could manage.

"I trust that I look better than I feel," he replied, "I still don't know that I can eat anything. It may not be a good idea for me to try," he added as Gareth sat a plate in front of him. The food did smell very good, however, so he decided he would attempt it.

(well, its a post, isnt it? )
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 12, 2005 07:14
"I have a thought. If she is assuming that we are heading for the market ports of Umbar, perhaps we can call her hand if we were to make a sudden change of destination. Change the route to Tol Falas... or the area of South Gondor, Harandor. No, Tol Falas would be more believable. I can tell her I'm taking her to meet my family...that you, Gareth, had suggested this as we are in no hurry to be anywhere at any given time. If she has been contacting anyone of the Corsairs, it would certainly throw off their timing and their plan. Surely she would want to contact them of such a change."

He had said these words to Gareth and Naden but had received no response to his idea. He decided that they must be at least thinking about it but the time to debate was slim as they had to return to the galley before Calwyn became suspicious.

Things went well as the four of them, even Naden, ate the delicious food. The discussion was light and touched on the stormy weather that was quickly passing. Calwyn was as charming as always, giving the others to wonder how true the stories they had heard could be. When their plates were empty, Dauron glanced surreptitiously at Naden and Gareth before his next words.

"Well, my dear, it has certainly been a long day. If I, who have experienced innumerable days like this, am exhausted, I can well imagine how you and Naden must be feeling. Let me walk you to your room. We can all use a good night's rest. Tomorrow, I promise you I will give a day at sea such as I first offered you....blue skies, blue water, and only a puffy white cloud now and then." Standing, he offered his hand to her, lifting her to her feet. Saying goodnight to Gareth and Naden, he guided her to her room and bent to kiss her cheek lightly before she closed herself in her room. He stood silently staring at the closed door for several moments, then turned on heel and went to the deck, crossing it to stand at next to Bernor, who was still manning the wheel.

"Bernor, how many of Gareth's crew do you know well? Is there one you could name who can be trusted beyond all doubt? I have a task for one such man." Bernor looked at his Captain questioningly but asked nothing, simply giving the name Dauron was looking for. "Good, I'll handle the wheel. Go and find him. Take him aside and tell him this....." Dauron then went on the tell him that he wanted a guard on Calwyn's door, one that was discreet and would not let her know that she was being watched. He was to report to Bernor any unusual behavior and Bernor was to tell him at once. "Now go! Return here and take over the wheel again until you are replaced." Bernor began to run across the deck when he heard Dauron's softly spoken, "Thank you, my old friend." Bernor waved a hand in the air and kept up his pace, disappearing down the hatch.

(OOC: Okay, I know I have godmodded Calwyn around a bit but hopefully Adriel will understand that it was the only way to get this thread moving, with or without her.)
gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 12, 2005 09:23
"I have a thought. If she is assuming that we are heading for the market ports of Umbar, perhaps we can call her hand if we were to make a sudden change of destination. Change the route to Tol Falas... or the area of South Gondor, Harandor. No, Tol Falas would be more believable. I can tell her I'm taking her to meet my family...that you, Gareth, had suggested this as we are in no hurry to be anywhere at any given time. If she has been contacting anyone of the Corsairs, it would certainly throw off their timing and their plan. Surely she would want to contact them of such a change."

Certainly Gareth was considering his old friend's suggestion as they ate, and discussed lightly the gale his ship had just weathered. Yet... after Dauron and Calwyn left, the elf glanced at the Ranger.

"We could do what Dauron suggested," he commented, "But... we'd need a 'reason' for doing so. - And, I think I have a good one. It'll delay us getting to Umbar, but it's 'believable'."

When Naden inquired as to what it was, though, Gareth shook his head. "If it's to work, Naden, I'd best not tell even you. For now, you'll have to trust me."

With that, the Elanor's half-elven Captain drained the last of his cider, and rose. "See you in the morning!" he bid the Ranger, and left. Pausing outside in the corridor, Gareth made sure it was clear... though he being in any part of his own vessel - any time he wanted - wouldn't be unusual, Gareth did not want his idea to be 'guessed' at.

Though, running into his First Mate farther along, Gareth quietly ordered the trolling-nets to be let down. "Might as well get something out of that storm!" he grinned. Since, knowing as he did the 'habits' of sea-life, was well-aware they'd be schooling near the surface in an hour or two.

Leaving that in Allon's capable hands, Gareth slipped to the lowest deck of his ship, and with the door closed behind him, lit a small lantern.

Gazing around himself, the fisherman was quite pleased... and hated what he was about to do. Their supplies had been well-stowed, and not a box... not a barrel... not a single crate in the hold, had shifted more than a few inches during the rough seas.

Nor, Gareth noted had it been necessary for the hand-pumps to be used... despite there was a bit more water sloshing underfoot than normal. No ship was completely 'water-proof', and the Elanor V no exception to that rule. Yet, there was 'enough' for his own purposes, and for that, the half-elf was relieved.

It was nothing at all for Gareth to take out his belt-knife, and 'casually' force 'splits' into a number of the barrels - in places that weren't 'easy' to reach - and the same with several of the crates. Resheathing it, he cast one more keen glance around, doused the lantern, and headed for his cabin. By morning, Gareth thought, his 'plan' would be in full-swing.

Fresh water befouled by that of the sea, and food soaked in it's saltiness would be ruined. Between that, and a catch to unload, there should be no question about changing course for Tolfalas... and without Dauron having to stick his neck out any further than it already was...
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 14, 2005 05:46
Naden made no reply when Gareth bade him goodnight and left. He sat alone, picking at his food in silence for some time before heading to his own 'cabin'. He was eager for the journey to be over. He wanted to feel solid earth under his feet again, escape being surrounded by nothing but water, but mostly he wanted to reach Umbar so he could start his task. And there were still things he needed to tell the others before they came there... which, it seemed he would have more time left to do it, now.

He slept uneasily, waking at every pitch of the ship and often wondering anxiously if the next day would bring another storm.

The next morning, of course, the ranger felt that he had gotten no rest, and his mood was sour as he trudged up to the deck. When he made it he saw Gareth standing there, talking to a very angry, animated cook. Before he even made it over to them, Naden gathered that something had happened to the food supply. He groaned inwardly and came to a stop next to the captain, casting a tired look at him.

"What happened?" he asked pointedly, hoping that Gareth's brilliant 'idea' had not been to let their food get ruined... so far, the only thing about being on the ship that *didn't* bother the ranger were the meals.

--------------------------------------------------------

Nell stood in the allyway behind the inn, heaving a trash- barrell and dumping its contents into the larger one that already reeked of rotting food. This was as far from the inn she ever got- just to the allyway to dump the garbage. She would have loved to go down to the docks, just for an hour, to watch the ships and listen to the noises there, but it was forbidden. Besides, it would probably just mean trouble; she couldn't barter passage with any of these sailors....

Sighing, she set down the barrell and stretched, working her arms. Glancing at the door she had come out of, Nell dared to take a few steps forward, crouching to move under the windows. She came to a stop at the edge of the wall. From here she couldn't plainly see the docks, but the air was cleaner, and the smell of the sea floated up faintly on the wind. The young woman sat in this way for a few more seconds before scrambling hurridly back, lifting the barrell and going back inside, begging the kitchen-hand with a pleading look not to let on that she'd been outside longer than normal.

[Edited on 14/9/2005 by dreamdancer]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 17, 2005 08:46
When Bernor returned from below decks, he spoke quickly and quietly to Dauron. The sailor had been told what to do...Calwyn would be under watch at all times by either the sailor or Bernor himself if the sailor needed sleep or had other duties. They had set up a signal between themselves when a change of watch was needed for any reason but the end result was that the lady's movements would be within someone's eyesight at all times.

Turning the wheel back over to Bernor, Dauron thanked his First Mate and listened for a moment as the ship's bells rang. "You will not have to wait long for your replacement, I deem. I am going to get some sleep myself." Dauron paced across the deck and down the ladder to the passageway below deck. As he headed for his room, he stopped at Calwyn's doorway, leaning his ear against it...listening for any sound. There was none. He turned and just caught a slight movement down the passageway. Staring into the shadows, he could just make out the shape of someone and he walked directly to him. Whispering, he asked the sailor what he was doing there.

"Following Bernor's orders, I am, sir. But how did you see me?" Dauron patted his shoulder and whispered back to him, " I have a seaman's eye, young fellow. It doesn't worry me that I saw you but I would be concerned if the lady did...and I am beginning to suspect that her eye is as good as mine. Take care and do not let her know you are watching her. If she comes upon you, always have a ready excuse for your presence...wherever it may be."

"Yes, sir. Goodnight, sir. I will report anything untoward to Bernor, is that right?" The young sailor seemed ready for anything, though Dauron imagined it might be an odd job he was being asked to do. "Yes, sailor, that is correct. To Bernor. And I will clear your service to us with your Captain in the morning. Have a good night." Dauron left the sailor at his watch and headed for the galley, sticking his head in the door to see if Gareth was still there. Seeing only Naden, picking away at his plate with his fork, his eyes lost in thought, Dauron asked softly, "Gareth? He's gone already?" All he got was a short nod in return so he quickly left. After searching for Gareth for some time, he gave up and went to his cabin, where he lay down and stared at the beamed ceiling.

What had the past week wrought for him? From attraction to love to doubt to outright fear for the welfare and the outcome of the mission of his friends. Dauron, you fool. Every woman in Tol Falas and the mainland chasing you for years and you pick the one who will cause you the most heartbreak, it appears. On that note, he fell into a dreamless sleep.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 07:44
(( OOC... adriel_aurora... please see the ooc thread - I couldn't think of anything else to do to get this RPG going again. gwendeth ))

Gareth woke to a pounding on his cabin door that wasn't at all 'unexpected'. "Sir? Captain? You're needed above!" came the urgent voice of the summoner.

"I'll come!" he replied, and quickly dressing, the half-elf settled his expression into one of 'displeasure' at being wakened betimes before he exited.

Upon reaching the upper deck, Gareth was immediately 'assaulted' by an irate and (he knew inwardly) 'righteously indignant' cook, railing on and on about the damage he'd just discovered in the cargo-hold.

"It happens," Gareth tried to 'soothe' him, whilst displaying his own unhappiness with the 'news'. "There's no 'accounting' for the quality of barrels and boxes, you know - and that was a nasty gale yesterday." Pausing thoughtfully, the Elanor's Captain went on, "Hmmm... have we got enough to reach... say... Tolfalas?" he inquired, just as Naden stormed up from below.
"What happened?" he asked pointedly, hoping that Gareth's brilliant 'idea' had not been to let their food get ruined... so far, the only thing about being on the ship that *didn't* bother the ranger were the meals.

"The water-barrels were damaged in the storm," Gareth replied curtly, avoiding the Ranger's glare.

"And some of the food!" the cook flared, but he'd nodded in answer to Gareth's question. "Good!" the half-elf replied. "Do what you can for breakfast," he ordered, and heading to take the Wheel, began snapping orders for their course to be changed.

By nightfall, the Elanor V was docked at the Port of Tolfalas, and Gareth negotiating for the replacement supplies. The 'catch' from that morning, he would use as payment for what they'd need.

And... and how Dauron had 'managed' it, Gareth didn't ask, but Calwyn had been quietly put ashore. Now, as soon as they were 'restocked', the small fishing-vessel could continue on in (he hoped!) relative 'safety' towards the port of Umbar, and the completion of Naden's task...
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 11:52
The day dawned as beautiful as Dauron had predicted to Calwyn and he was quick to rise. Dressing quickly, he crept down the hall until he met the sailor from the previous evening. "Anything unusual occur during the night, sailor?" he asked.

"No, sir. Everyone slept very soundly in their cabins," he responded, winking an eye at Dauron. "Excellent. I'll take over now." Dauron replied. Dauron then headed for the galley, where surprisingly, nothing was happening. There was no one there, no fires burning, no breakfast begun. Puzzled, he stood wondering where everyone was and what was happening. It was at that moment, he heard a pounding on a door further down the passageway, then a voice calling out. "Sir? Captain? You're needed above!" came the urgent voice of the summoner.

He heard Gareth answer, "I'll come, " and shortly thereafter, Gareth's door opening then closing and his footsteps heading for the deck. Dauron was about to follow when his cousin, Berethion, entered the galley, looking no doubt for breakfast. Like Dauron, he looked around at the emptiness of the room and raised an eyebrow. "Gareth's hospitality leaves something to be desired." Dauron told him of the sudden call to the Captain, and both men left the galley and headed for the deck as well. They arrived just behind Naden and caught the general gist of the problem. Dauron's eyes met Gareth's and his eyebrows lifted in question but Gareth ignored him and went about the business of changing the shipping directions for the port of Tol Falas and heading for the wheel himself.

Berethion joined Dauron at the gunwales and Dauron hurriedly brought Berethion up to date. "Only you could fall into such a pile of dog droppings, my cousin," was all that Berethion said in response, an impish smile on his face. Dauron glared at his cousin for a moment then began to roar with laughter. The two of them shook with laughter for a while, the laughter finally releasing some of the tension of the past two days. Then Dauron got down to business. Berethion listened carefully, nodding now and then and finally, clapping Dauron on the shoulder, saying only one word. "Done!"

They docked at Tol Falas during the early evening and the pulling off of the ruined barrels began along side the restocking with new supplies. The sailors worked like a well oiled machine and by midnight, the job was complete and the Elanor V was ready to set sail with the tide, which would occur about 5 AM in the morning. With three hours to spare, Dauron order a keg of beer delivered from the nearest tavern pierside. Dauron, Gareth, Naden, Allon and Bernor and many of the off duty sailors sat on the deck, filling their mugs and enjoying the clear night with the promise of an equally clear morning.

It was Bernor who finally raised the question they all wanted an answer to. "So, where's the lady Calwyn, sir? I haven't seen her since we docked." All eyes raised, waiting. Dauron smiled a sly smile.

"Berethion has asked Calwyn to spend the day with him, showing her around the island. They will be staying overnight at the Inn at the bottom of the hill below my parent's house....you know the one, Gareth, don't you? The Peacock and Feather? Berethion will oversleep the change of the tide and everyone knows no good sailor misses the tide so....poof. The ship will be gone when they arrive..oh woe, oh woe." The back of his hand was brought up to his forehead as he spoke those last words, making it as dramatic as possible. His laughter at his own foolishness was short-lived though. "The only thing that concerned me is Calwyn herself. She is no stranger to the sea and its tides. Berethion has an herb or two in his pocket to add to her wine. Hopefully they last long enough for us to have sailed before they wear off." Glancing at Gareth, he warned, "You'd better not oversleep and miss the tide, my friend." His smile softened the warning into a spoof.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 12:52
Naden looked down into his mug. He was relieved to have the 'Calwyn problem' taken care of (for now, at least), but he didn't look forward to shoving off again. The nearness of his task loomed over him like dark clouds, weighing heavily on his mind. There were still things he needed to tell Gareth and Dauron before they came to Umbar. For one, they knew that he meant to do some spying on behalf of Thorongil, but they had not been told exactly how dangerous the situation would be. Now if the forces meaning to lead the attack against Gondor knew that spies were on the way, they would be on the lookout, and peril would be increased for the ranger and his friends.-- Friends indeed he thought them, now, when they had left behind their homes on a whim to aid him
He looked up and caught Gareth's glance. Naden looked away. He would need to discuss it with them privatly. He would need to tell them his exact plan-- where he meant to go for information, how long he intended on remaining, who he was looking for, the dangers--, and what was to be done should the worst chance befall. The worst-case-scenario was certainly possible, and probably likely. Sighing heavily, he stood. Now that he let himself think about it, be was beginning to feel guilty.
"Gareth, Dauron, I'd like a word with both of you when you've time. Don't hurry yourself. And the rest of you-- goodnight."

Without saying anything further he turned to go to the small room.

(hope thats ok. as we all know, I'm sick and in the zone )

gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 30, 2005 04:35
(( OOC: 7 hours has now turned into more than 24. The Elanor V is setting sail. ))

Glancing at Gareth, he warned, "You'd better not oversleep and miss the tide, my friend." His smile softened the warning into a spoof.

Smiling wanly at his old friend, Gareth acknowledged the light teasing. "I won't - I assure you!" he replied.
"Gareth, Dauron, I'd like a word with both of you when you've time. Don't hurry yourself. And the rest of you-- goodnight."

After a long moment, Gareth shook his head. "After we've sailed, - if that's all right with you Naden," he answered, being in no mood for 'talking' at just that moment. Bidding the two a good evening, he headed for the ship's stern, and for the rest of the night, the half-elven fisherman stayed there... staring out at the wide sea beyond.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Five o'clock came, and though he'd not slept, Gareth was in place at the Wheel of the Elanor. His orders were crisp, and within moments, her sails had caught the breeze.

By daylight, he'd turned the vessel Southward... and - with luck, by mid-afternoon they'd be within sight of Umbar. Turning the wheel over to Bernar, Gareth then went down to the Galley. To his relief, both Naden and Dauron were there - and, with a quiet apology, bid the Ranger to speak of what had been on his mind...
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 30, 2005 07:36
The night was well into the quiet time before dawn when Naden stood and faced both Gareth and Dauron and the rest of the sailors who had been emptying the keg.

Most of the sailors merely waved but both Gareth and Dauron stood with him. After a long moment, Gareth shook his head. "After we've sailed, - if that's all right with you Naden," he answered.

Dauron, who had had more than enough to drink, nodded his head. "Same here, my good man. I need a bit of time to myself right now." He watched, slightly bleary-eyed, as Naden headed for his cabin. He clapped Gareth on the shoulder and said, "Give me a call if you need me before we set sail. I've perhaps had a few too many but it doesn't mean I'm incapacitated." He turned and wandered off in the direction of the bow. Crawling up on the pulpit, he stretched out and let the light rise and fall of the ship put him to sleep. He woke when the he felt the ship's movement forward under his body. Stretching his limbs, he lifted his head and watched the water flying under the bow. Pulling himself to his feet, he stepped back down to the main deck and noticed that Bernor was at the wheel.

"Good morning, mate. Where's the Captain?" he asked as he came abreast of his First Mate. Bernor directed him to the galley and Dauron made his way in that direction. Half way there, he changed his direction to the stern, where he stood for many long moments watching Tol Falas grow smaller and smaller on the horizon. His heart felt heavy in his chest as he said farewell to his beloved Calwyn. Berethion had succeeded, it seemed, as he and Calwyn had both missed the 5 o'clock sailing. When the highest peak of the island had sunk beyond the water, he mentally waved goodbye then abruptly turned and made his way down to the passageway and thus to the galley. Naden was the only one there when he arrived but Gareth stepped in moments later. As Dauron was getting a mug of tea, Gareth, with a quiet apology, bid the Ranger to speak of what had been on his mind...
adriel_aroura
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2005 08:15
(OOC: *sighs* Ok, I know you guys are all just P0ed at me right now.... and I suppose I would be too, if I were you. But... I've just been so caught up with school recently.... *rubs a weary hand over her eyes* anyways, I'm sorry.... and to Bereth's post in the OOc thread, why I couldn't post when I did in the OOc was because I was typing from school, and my post was saved on my home pc....>.>

Anyways, I also just thought that it’s also about time we had a point of view coming from the leader of the Corsairs…. and so, as no one seems to have volunteered for the spot yet, I’d gladly rp this char from now on too. I hope everyone’s okay with this….

P.S….No idea where the Rielle “Darkheart” came from, but I felt that it actually fits her character, and so I used it…..lol^^ )

Rielle Darkheart, thieving princess of the seas, renowned heartbreaker of men, and cold-blooded murderer of the innocent, sat huddled in a dimmed room by an open window. Outside, it was the early hours of the morning, and the silent air hummed with sleepiness. No gulls could be heard crying, nor even the crashing of waves by the nearby dock. A moon, unusually bright, loomed large in the dark blue sky, while twinkling stars spiraled out from underneath it and made their way across the heavens. She gazed out into the distance, her grey eyes lost deep in thought. A teasing breeze blew in, with the saltiness of the ocean carried on its back, and played with her hair before leaving back out the window. She barely noticed it, however. Her mind was too full of sudden, emotional thoughts, all tumbling and fighting against one another to be the dominating one in her head.

”Witch...” The memory of the last man she had betrayed soared back, making her chest suddenly feel inches too tight. He had spat at her scornfully, his breathing ragged as he knelt over on the ground, drenched in seawater and his own blood. “Witch,” he hissed again.
Then, the name had no effect on her. She had been called it too many times already, for her ways of enchantment and seduction, and then to murder with betrayal and lies. In fact, as far as she was concerned, the name was true. It did not hurt her; if anything, she was proud of being bestowed with such a title. She drew a blade, ready to yet prove the name once again by killing the man.
“One day you will pay for everything you’ve done in this cursed life of yours, witch,” The man had gasped out vehemently. “One day.”
She raised her blade and ended his life.

Rielle winced at the memory and shivered, drawing a blanket tighter around her. Her chest was suddenly was filled with pain as the man’s words were repeated in her head. Witch. Now, the name caused a terrible pang of guilt, instead of a surge of pride. She sighed and put her head in her hands, thinking again.
She was no simpleton; she knew that nearly the whole crew of the Elanor was suspicious of her now. Ever since that day Dauron had accidentally barged into her room, she knew they were suspicious. She knew that she had made too many mistakes, and that now they had dropped her off with Berethion to ditch her and be safe that way. They were leaving this morning at 5:00 am, and Berethion had even tried to slip her some sleeping powder to ensure that she would miss their departure. She had refused the drink he gave her, of course, and was now determined to stay up the whole night to catch them whenever they’d leave. But in doing so, it was letting her mind wander. She had begun trying to think of more lies and excuses to tell Gareth and his crew in the morning, but finally, all her thoughts still strayed towards Dauron and her mission.
Dauron. Just hearing his name made her see his handsome face before her, and it made her feel even more miserable and wretched.
It had been Dauron who had been one of the main plotters for ditching her here. He had been one of the ones to arouse suspicion first, when she actually expected it least from him. She had clearly been wrong, however, and let down. And now, she was here, biting her lip and rocking back and forth with worry, and not for her mission at stake, but for Dauron’s feelings about her.
Did he still love her? Perhaps he did, but by how much? She doubted that he still cared for her as much as he had before, now that she was being doubted and his friends were in danger. But she didn’t want it to be that way. She wanted to still be almost his most cared-for, to be still trusted by him and loved. After all, she cared for him; really, she did- she had been originally planning to save him somehow when the pirates would attack.
By now she knew she loved him. Really, really, loved him.
Her heart was beating suddenly faster than normal. Her mind was reeling with questions- if so, who did she care for most? If at a time when she had to choose, who would she help? Dauron, or her father….? What would she do, if forced to decide where her loyalty lies? Could she betray the man she loved, or the man who raised her? Either way, she’d have to hurt one of them, and also herself in the process. Could she let this happen? After all, she had done it many times already before…

Witch….

She realized she did not know the answer. She had been expecting to be able to say that she would help her father, of course, but she found she couldn’t.
Burying her head in her hands, she fretted pitifully. She was falling apart, she realized, and would just continue falling from now on. This was what she deserved for all the lives she’d ruined before, and the ones she would still destroy….

You will pay for everything you’ve done in this cursed life of yours…… One day….

She sank back into her bed, a hand on her forehead. She suddenly wished she could stop, turn around, and start her life over… she wished she was no longer the woman she was. Still, tomorrow, she would be at the docks, ready to persuade Dauron to let her on again and be with him…. Perhaps because of her job, but perhaps also for a more personal reason…
Her "job" sounded like hated words to her ears now. She wished she was no longer held responsible to it, so she could stop breaking innocent hearts, loved hearts….. so she could stop breaking her own heart.

One day….
~~~~
Far away, at the ports of Umbar, where the same large moon shone down on the dark waters, Rielle’s father stood, a note from his daughter in his hand. His brow furrowed, he looked at it, able to sense that something had gone awry with his daughter. Though the content of the letter was simple, telling him that the ship had been delayed in its coming to Umbar, and that after they were here, her job was done and she intended to no longer be involved with it, but it was the way that it was written that made her father suspicious. She seemed too…. listless when she had written it, and it seemed all too vague. The old captain was not easily fooled. He couldn’t quite place it yet, but something was not right. Sighing, he turned around to tell his fleet to wait another day or so before the attack.
~~~~
Witch….

Rielle sat up with a jolt. A quick look out the window told her she wasn’t late yet… she just had to go now.
Without even bothering to see if Berethion was still there, she dressed and ran out to the docks. Squinting through the early morning light, she feverishly tried to locate Gareth’s boat. At last she saw it, it's anchor already being drawn, clearily getting ready to leave. Pushing her way frantically through small crowds, she found herself by the ship again. But then she froze. Her initial plan had been to locate Dauron and talk to him, but now, she felt frightened to do so. Instead, with the boat clearly getting ready to leave and only minutes left, she did the only thing left that she could think of doing. She stowed onboard, creeping in quietly and steathily, hidden from everyone's sight.
She let out a sigh of relief as she felt the ship picking up speed. She was hidden in a some strange storage place, filled with various kinds of barrels, but at least she was onboard.

EDIT: I didn't have time to fix up the ending of this post, but yeah, I'm doing what Gwen told me to do....so yeah. Calwyn's just stowing on until the opportune moment....

OOC: heheh…..looking back on this post now, I’m amused…. I was totally in a weird, story-telling mood when I wrote this. So forgive me if you’re annoyed with this post… it’s more elaborate and longer than was needed, I know. ….LoL….^.<‘

--Adri--
(btw, I'm sorry.....>.> )

[Edited on 8/10/2005 by adriel_aroura]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 02, 2005 06:52
Against all expectations, Naden was awake and waiting when Gareth and Dauron came down. He had not been able to sleep much the night before, despite his weariness, and had lain awake for a long while before finally getting out of bed.

Now he sat silently, trying to figure out how to say was needed to be said. At length he began.

"I told you both already that I go to Umbar to do spying on behalf of Thorongil, and that rumor has reached him of a planned attack against Gondor. I don't know how long we will need to stay there, or exactly what we will meet. I am certain that we will make no friends, and that no welcome will be given lest it be because we are 'paying customers'. Danger will already be great, and if word has somehow gotten ahead that spies are coming, our peril will be even greater..."
The ranger avoided casting a glance at Dauron, figuring that the man knew his thoughts- there was a chance that Calwyn had somehow sent news of their coming.

“… I did not tell you that another man was sent before me, some months ago, on another errand. He was the one who caught word of the attack and brought the news back. There is a certain tavern and inn called The Black Anchor that serves as a meeting place for captains- where plans are pulled together for the work of a fleet. At least, this is what I have been told. That is where we will be staying- and as far as spying goes, I know that neither of you will face the problem of acting like weary seamen. All that I ask of you is that you listen sharply for mention of Gondor and any of its landings or towns, especially in the tavern. If crewmen suspect no listening ears, they will say much when drink is in them- and that is one thing we must count on. There are, of course, other places to look and listen; the docks, various shops. When it comes to asking questions, following suspicious persons or snooping in forbidden places, I will not ask you to risk yourselves in such a way, unless at the end of need, and unless you are quite willing. Just draw no undue attention to yourselves, act as you would at any tavern in Dol Amroth, albeit a little more discreet. Mark everything and everyone, only without being marked yourselves. ”

He paused and looked down at his hands, rubbing them together slowly.

“Like I have said, peril will not be far away. We must keep our weapons close and at the ready. None of your crew, save perhaps Allon and Bernor, know anything of our reasons for coming- I hope that your first mates can continue to hide the truth. Either way, they should all have their defenses up constantly. I think that goes without saying in Umbar, though; Its not the popular place for a holiday…. And if the worst should befall—that being that our purpose is discovered- immediate flight will be in order. If something happens to me, I ask that you leave as soon as possible. This information must reach Thorongil, even if I am not the one who carries it. No doubt he will have someone in Dol Amroth waiting for my return. He may be there himself. News will have reached him, hopefully, of who I left with, so he will know how to find you.”

Naden fell silent again and looked up at them, studying their faces for any sign and waiting for their response.

[Edited on 2/10/2005 by dreamdancer]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 02, 2005 08:06
Listening intently, Gareth nodded. "I believe it can be done - and I'll speak to Allon," and glanced at Dauron, who would need to do the same with Bernor."

Turning back to Naden, though, the half-elven fisherman chewed on his lip thoughtfully. "There are," he said slowly, "two things. First... you will need to be in disguise - won't you? Certainly there will be someone in Umbar who would know the signs of a Ranger when they see one." He might be stating the 'obvious' to one more experienced than he - but Gareth was taking no chances.

Yet... it was the second point he raised that was most important - at least, to him. "The other issue... is that none of this can happen if the Elanor is not allowed to dock. Our 'public' reason for visiting Umbar must be unquestioned," he went on soberly. "But... with my ship being quite obviously a fishing-vessel, that will help. As soon as we've finished breakfast, I'll get the nets out again. A full catch will be necessary - even if it delays our arrival. The thing is... it's so 'rare' for ships from either Dol Amroth or TolFalas to go there - we'll be under suspicion the moment we're sighted."

Pausing thoughtfully, Gareth looked again at Dauron for his opinion of the 'idea' he was about to present.

"I do have a suggestion that may allay them just a bit. - And for that - we can thank that storm. It wouldn't have hit Umbar hard... but," and his sea-grey eyes twinkled, and he shook his head 'sadly'. "That storm has done 'severe' damage to the docks at Dol Amroth," Gareth 'stated'. "And, as a 'result', fishing-vessels who would normally head there, are all now going to the port at TolFalas to unload their catches. The 'market', therefore," and the half-elf chuckled, "is 'overwhelmed'. - So... what is a 'poor' fisherman to do but to explore 'new' places to make a living?"

Raising an eyebrow, Gareth waited to see what the other two would say...
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 02, 2005 08:36
Dauron sipped his hot tea as he listened to Naden speak. The peril that conceivably faced them in Umbar suddenly struck home as Naden expanded upon the full reason for their journey into enemy territory.

"Danger will already be great, and if word has somehow gotten ahead that spies are coming, our peril will be even greater..."

Dauron's head lifted but he noted that Naden avoided his eyes. Yet he knew what Naden was referring to...or rather 'who'. A feeling of guilt washed over him as he thought of Calwyn. His heart melted at the thought of her silky hair, her soft brown eyes, her lovely voice while, at the same time, his mind was calculating the seeming evidence of her potential betrayal of he and his friends. Would they confront danger for anything she might have done? He drew his attention back to the table as Naden continued....

“… I did not tell you that another man was sent before me, some months ago, on another errand. He was the one who caught word of the attack and brought the news back. There is a certain tavern and inn called The Black Anchor that serves as a meeting place for captains- where plans are pulled together for the work of a fleet. At least, this is what I have been told. That is where we will be staying- and as far as spying goes, I know that neither of you will face the problem of acting like weary seamen."

Glancing at Gareth, he grinned, amused that Naden would find a bit of humor in so serious a situation. Act like weary seaman?? No, there would be no acting as sailing a vessel the size of the Elanor V was not to be compared to a paddle in a pool. A thought passed swiftly though his mind but he held it, deciding it could wait until Naden was finished.

The more Naden spoke, the more serious a nature this mission took on. That was evident in one of Naden's statements. “Like I have said, peril will not be far away. We must keep our weapons close and at the ready. None of your crew, save perhaps Allon and Bernor, know anything of our reasons for coming- I hope that your first mates can continue to hide the truth. Either way, they should all have their defenses up constantly. I think that goes without saying in Umbar, though; Its not the popular place for a holiday….

"I can attest for Bernor and I'm sure Gareth can do the same for Allon," Dauron interjected, nodding at Gareth as he spoke. "And Bernor has fought at my side on more than one occasion. I do not doubt his ability to protect himself, nor do I doubt his ableness in hearing things many others would overlook or pay no attention to." Another wash of guilt hit Dauron as he realized as he said those words that it had indeed been Bernor who had heard and absorbed the rumors about Calwyn.

When Naden finished with, "And if the worst should befall—that being that our purpose is discovered- immediate flight will be in order. If something happens to me, I ask that you leave as soon as possible. This information must reach Thorongil, even if I am not the one who carries it. No doubt he will have someone in Dol Amroth waiting for my return. He may be there himself. News will have reached him, hopefully, of who I left with, so he will know how to find you.” Dauron mentally shook his head. No, he would not leave any man of his in peril and abandon him, but he didn't feel it needed saying at this moment.

Dauron remembered his earlier passing thought and brought it up now. "Gareth. I hope you have brought trade items from Dol Amroth. I cannot see landing in Umbar with our sole purpose to be trolling the taverns. I had Bernor load some fine blades and axes when we left Tol Falas, along with many bolts of materials to appeal to the Umbarian ladies. Hopefully, that will give us a partial reason for landing in Umbar in the first place. And a load of fish we are unable to off load at the northern docks do to the storm will certainly help as well."
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 04, 2005 03:47
"First, I meant to ask you about that, Gareth," Naden started, "I am certain my garb would mark me apart-but, unfortunatly, its all I have. Do any of your crewmen match my size?" he tugged at the collar of his tunic; he was a tall man, and that was an attention getter

And I am glad you thought ahead about reasons for being in Umbar. I have considered it, of course, especially since setting out, but have forgotten to bring it to light until now. My thoughts have been.... occupied...."
Of course, he meant that during the storm and his bout with sea-sickness, he'd completely forgotten everything except trying not to lose his insides.

-----

In the common-room of The Black Anchor, Nell stood behind the counter, wiping tankards effortlessly and glaring at the door without expression. It had been another sleepless night, and she'd already encountered the innkeepers wrath that morning for 'over-sleeping', though she'd been up before the first light. A nice bruise was forming on her left arm, but she paid no heed to it; if she let herself, she would despair, and that would only make her falter in her work, and more trouble would come. No, she had to think of nothing but what was commanded of her. This was going to be another day, another miserable day in an endless sea of them. It was a timeline to which she saw no end. On this morning she eyed a meat-knife as she shined up another cup, wondering if she would get a chance to use it on the innkeeper...

The thought was banished when the first customer of the day came stumbling down the stairs, dressed and half-asleep. A crewman, like the rest of them. One on the fleet that was planning an attack on Gondor. Yes, she'd heard the drunk ones bragging about it to their friends, and it made her angry, but there was nothing she could do. It had occured to her to stow away on one of the Corsair ships in hopes of returning, but that would be a fools errand, ending in death.
Better than staying here...?
"Boy!" the man shouted in annoyance, "I said I'm hungry!"

And so, the day began.

(terribly short, but I can't think of anything else right now sorry...)
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 04, 2005 08:06
Gareth chuckled, and then winked at Dauron. "I think the Captain of the Flying Gull is the closest you'll find, Naden," he answered.
And I am glad you thought ahead about reasons for being in Umbar. I have considered it, of course, especially since setting out, but have forgotten to bring it to light until now. My thoughts have been.... occupied...."

At that, Gareth shrugged. "I've no thought of 'losing' the Elanor if I can help it. Between us, Dauron and I will get things ready there. I'll start with getting the nets out again right now."

Shoving away the rest of his breakfast, the half-elven fisherman went topside again...

~*~*~*~

By the time Umbar was sighted, the Elanor V's holds were full. The 'trade items' had been (thanks to Bernor's 'planning') stowed within easy reach, and had been sorted in readiness for the Umbarian markets.

Naden had been 'decked out' (after a fashion) in seafarer's raiment... and was... 'passable' - at least, they three hoped so.

Refusing to let anyone else 'handle' his ship, Gareth was again at the wheel. The sun was lower in the sky than the half-elf would have liked, but that couldn't be helped.

And... at the sight of several Corsairs changing course to 'meet' them, Gareth cast an anxious glance around himself. Might these be the last few moments he stood as Captain of this ship he loved? Setting his face into sternness, the half-elven fisherman very much hoped they would not...

(( ooc: The 'tension' is building!! ))
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 03:04
Between Gareth and Dauron and with the aid of Allon and Bernor, they had managed to deck out Naden as close to a sailor as was possible, though his garb was a mis-matched outfit. The pants they had found for him were too short but well hidden under knee high boots. The sleeves of his shirt were a bit short but when he rolled them up, the length didn't show. Dauron tried to hide his amusement but failed, laughing uproariously every time he looked in Naden's direction. He wished Berethion could see this and was almost sorry he had stranded him in Tol Falas. Nevertheless, the seriousness of the mission began to fill all their minds.

"Bernor, are you sure everything is ready to pulled on deck immediately, should we be challenged? Gareth has a hold full of fish but that can not be the only reason we are here." Bernor nodded his head, showing his boss the layout of the crates and barrels. Dauron could find no fault with Bernor's planning and clapped him on the shoulder. "Excellent, Bernor. If we get out of this with our heads intact, my friend, there will be a reward for your efforts.

And there was certainly a question as to whether they would survive. Two with elven blood and and a Ranger from the north, no matter how well disguised, were hardly regular visitors to the southern lands. He watched Gareth's sailors, who watched the seas with doubtful eyes, wondering why they were here. As the only ones who knew that reason was Gareth, his first mate Allon, Naden, Bernor, his own first mate, and himself, he couldn't help but have sympathy for their nervous thoughts.

Wandering up to the bridge and standing next to Gareth, who was at the wheel himself for this last few leagues of the journey, he stood quietly, his own eyes on the sea as closely as Gareth's. He was praying that he had not made the biggest error of his young life by falling in love with a doubtful maiden. They would know soon enough as they were now entering Umbarion waters. In fact, Dauron could see the line of the southern lands rising slowly above the horizon. And that was when he noticed them....the Corsairs were headed directly toward them. It was a small fleet, with only four ships, yet they far outnumbered the Elanor V...along with being greater in size. He glanced at Gareth, catching his eye and nodding at him as he turned away.

"I'll go get Naden. He needs to see this." Dauron strode across the deck, ignoring the fear in the eyes of the sailors, knowing that Gareth's crew, no matter how frightened they may be, were sturdy and never questioned their beloved captain. Not only that, like his own crew, they were trained fighters when necessary. He went below deck and tapped on the door of Naden's cabin. When the door opened, he said simply, "We have company."
adriel_aroura
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2005 03:43
OOC: (sry....still been busy.....but I've edited the previous post and am now moving half of that earlier post to another one later, when Dauron is free, like Gwen suggested. ^.^)

Rielle had been keeping hidden, stowed onbaord for the past days. All thw hile, she had been debating with herself mentally. Perhaps she should just stay hidden for the rest of the journey and then slip off at the port and return home... after all, she was skilled enough and Umbar was now near. But at last, the need to talk to Dauron terribly took over, and she crept out at last. She was still moving carefully, hidden eveywhere she moved, determined to make Dauron be the first one to see her onboard.
At last she caught sight of him, making his way towards Naden's room. Feeling strange tears of relief suddenly misting her eyes, she ran towards him. "Dauron!" she was about to call, when he knocked on the door, and the words got caught in her throat. Instantly ducking away, she hid quietly, still unseen.

When the door opened, he said simply, "We have company."

Rielle's heart suddenly was pounding frantically, and not from fear. Her father.....

~~~

The captain was on gaurd the whole time since Rielle's last letter had come. Now, he was instantly ready to sail forth when his watchmen had suddenly announced the coming of a solitary ship. Perhaps it was the boat his duaghter was on, and perhaps not, but he was going forth with three other ships to check first anyways. His curved sword was at his side, and he was suddenly feeling a lust for blood. He hoped it were those stupid Gondorian spies....

(sry.....in a rush and so if something's wrong w/ this post too, plz let me now. Calwyn will confront Daur at the next opportune moment, allite? ^^ I hope this is ok!

p.s. I hope to meet him before the ships meet, so...bereth, perhaps you could step away to do something for a moment? And then Rielle will seize the chance to talk....^^)

[Edited on 8/10/2005 by adriel_aroura]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 07, 2005 03:51
When the door opened, he said simply, "We have company."

Naden had only opened the door a little, and he groaned inwardly. He felt utterly ridiculous and completely out of place in the sailor's clothing he had been given. Casting a wistful glance at his own clothes that lay in a heap on the bed, he came out, pulling the door shut behind him and following Dauron up to the deck. This time no one chuckled at him, however; their attention was elsewhere. He could see the fleet heading their way just as easily as everyone else. The ranger swore and loosed his sword in its sheath, hoping that there would be no fight- then he walked over to stand next to Gareth, tugging at the rolled-up sleeves of the uncomfortable shirt. His eyes were narrowed and his face grim, a slight look of worry shining in his gaze. He had no words of advice for the Elanor V's captain, trusting that the half-elf could handle the situation--at least, hoping he could. Naden knew that he himself certainly shouldn't do any talking- not if he wanted to convince anyone that he was just another member of the crew. In that case, it probably wouldn't do for him to just stand around.....
"Is there something I should be doing- or be pretending to be doing?" he asked lowly as the corsair ships drew ever closer. It would only be a few minutes before they met...

(bleh ><)
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 08, 2005 06:07
Naden sighed outwardly though Dauron supposed he was moaning inside. But he pulled himself together quickly, no mean task given that none of his clothes could have been comfortable on his tall lanky body, and followed Dauron up to the deck. They both joined Gareth and watched the sails of the four Corsairs moving closer by the minute. Dauron looked at Naden, realizing he shouldn't be standing at Gareth's side, given his mode of dress was that of a simple sailor. Apparently, Naden had the same thought at the same time as he asked, "Is there something I should be doing- or be pretending to be doing?" he asked lowly as the corsair ships drew ever closer. It would only be a few minutes before they met...

Dauron was a brave man, under any circumstances. But even in the worst of times, his mischievous humor surfaced more often than not. Eyeing Naden from top to bottom, he said, with a perfectly straight face, "Good thinking, Naden. Yes, you really should not be here on deck so close to shore. You should be in the hold, getting the fish ready to unload." Searching the deck, he spotted Bernor. "Bernor! Over here!" Bernor ran to his side and Dauron pointed to Naden. "Take him to the fish hold and set him up with a gaff or something so if we're boarded, he looks like he's doing something useful." Bernor's eyes widened until he caught the gleam in Dauron's eye, at which time he saluted and said, "Yes, sir." Leading Naden off, he grinned back over his shoulder at his Captain, shaking his head. Dauron thought he heard a cough from his side, though he could have been mistaken. Nevertheless, he turned towards Gareth, an innocent expression on his face, then looked back out to sea.

Suddenly, patting his waist, he groaned. "Gareth, I have to go below deck; I've forgotten my sword. I'll be back in a minute. I fear our welcoming committee may want to board us to give us a look/see. I'd like to be ready should anything untoward occur." Clapping a hand on Gareth's shoulder, he made his way across the deck and jumped below deck, racing for his cabin. Dashing inside, he grabbed his sash and the sheathed sword, wrapping them both around his waist as he headed back for the stairs to the deck. As he passed through the shadowy passageway, he heard something that stopped him in his tracks.

"Pssst. Dauron." someone whispered.
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email