Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
Post RE: The Forsaken Inn- Under New Management.(open to anyone-anytime)
on: July 30, 2005 01:53
Calen's tunic was saturated with the blood which flowed profusely from his neck. Alya had propped him up in the chair and was afraid to let him go for fear he would fall, yet wanted desparately to go find cloths and water to wipe the blood away to see how bad the wound really was. Suddenly the healer appeared at her side and began to minister to the wounded elf and then Elaneth had her arms around her shoulders and was pulling her aside to give the healer room to work.

Calen was aware of all this movement but was too dizzy to focus. He wanted to assure Alya that he was alright, wanted to see how Mo was doing, but all he could do was sit quietly while Wolfie worked her healing magic. Soon he began to feel the soothing herb poultice was easing the pain and closing the wound and he felt almost his old self.

"Alya, could I have something to drink," were the first words he spoke and greedily swallowed the liquid in the mug she handed him. He began to become conscious of his surroundings once again and glanced at the quiet elf that was sitting across the table from him. Calen's eyes had a questioning look and he was about to speak to the stranger when he heard the door opening. Turning, he noticed Pb gently shoving Mo forward towards Elaneth.

Elenath looked across at her, Mo gulped and stepped forward,

"PB said I err . . . Nog wants t . . . aah hemm Nog and I want . . . "

Her voice began to falter and she swallowed hard trying desperately to say the words.

"Thankyou"

It was almost a whisper but she had said it.

When she next began to approach Calen, Wolfie stepped aside to allow her access and Calen waited to see what was to come, his eyes serious though he had to work hard at that as he was delightfully amused at the Dwarf's struggle to speak. Courteously rising to his feet, he waited patiently until she started, stuttering and struggling to get the words out. When she reached for his hand, and began to pump it up and down, he listened carefully, not aiding her in any way other than to leave his long fingers clasped gently with hers.

Mo tightened her grip,

"Th . . . th th ththhh"

She began to tremble, flushing red she looked nervously round the room her eyes finally alighting on PB, who stood watching her expectantly. She must do this.

"Ththtthhhh . ..an. . . k yooooou" She mumbled trying to force her hand open.

Calen wrapped his other hand around both of theirs and, bowing from the waist, he smiled with great warmth and sincerity.

"Mo, I would willingly protect you ... and all of our friends here," he said, waving his hand at the group, "anytime, anyplace. What are friends for, after all?" Slowly he managed to release his hand from hers and stepped back, still smiling down at her small frame.

The relief that flowed over Mo's face was palpable, and the tension in the room suddenly lightened. That is until Calen began to waver on his feet and reached out for the edge of the table to hold himself on his feet.

"I believe I need something to eat. My breakfast was interrupted by some other business," he chuckled, patting Mo on the shoulder. He sat once again at the table, resting his forehead in his hand. With his other hand, he reached back to where Alya was standing, his fingers entwining with hers. There he rested for a while, while his elven body worked on healing itself.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: August 01, 2005 11:49
As Calen stumbled in and was led to a chair by a very worried Alya, Wolfsong moved forward instantly. Blood soaked Calen’s tunic, but the Healer knew that any wound upon the head or neck, however slight, bleeds profusely. She examined the Elf’s neck to determine the extent of his injuries—her every move fast, efficient and confident.

The wound was shallow and not very long, but Wolfsong was afraid that it may need to be stitched up if the bleeding persisted. She reached into the doe-skin bag which hung low beneath her arm and pulled out several small vials. Quickly she made a poultice from puff-ball mushroom powder and the decoction of knapweed roots, applying it with pressure to Calen’s wound to help stay the flow of blood.

As she worked, Alya stood over Calen, brushing his dark hair back from his face. Wolfsong knew the Elven maiden worried greatly for her love, but was thankful when Elenath pulled the distraught Elf aside. The Healer met Calen’s gaze and offered a small reassuring smile. “You will be fine… The bleeding is slowing already.” She began to secure the poultice with bandages and Calen’s winced each time she reapplied any pressure to the wound.

Calen asked his worried wife to bring something for him to drink. Wolfsong nodded toward a mug of tea which sat nearby. She had been planning to bring the mug to Pb, but it would work just as well to ease Calen’s discomfort, and she could always make another for the injured Hobbit. The wounded Elf downed a few mouthfuls of the drink, and then glanced curiously at the new arrival who sat across from him. He seemed about to speak when a small, unsure voice interrupted…

"PB said I err . . . Nog wants t . . . aah hemm Nog and I want . . . "

Her voice began to falter and she swallowed hard trying desperately to say the words.

"Thankyou"

It was almost a whisper but she had said it.

As the Dwarf approached, the Healer moved aside and watched as Mo struggled with words of thanks. Calen stood—a bit unsteadily, Wolfsong noted—and took Mo’s small hand, offering his friendship. The Healer was touched by his promise to protect all those who had gathered here at the Forsaken Inn… For the first time, she was beginning to feel as if she was becoming part of a family.

With that thought, she turned and looked for Randiron. She found him standing a few feet away with Alya’s infant held in his loving, capable arms, and a surge of happiness warmed her heart. Blue-grey eyes met those of dark grey—different, and yet, so alike—and the Healer’s smile shined bright. :love:
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: August 01, 2005 01:21
Humming softly to Fea, Randiron watched Wolfsong finish tending to Calen. - And, with a touch of sadness, Mo's stuttering thanks. It would seem the Dwarf's attitude was more than just the 'usual' grumpiness that characterized most Dwarves... and that at some point, he'd had bad treatment at the hands of Elves.

Disappointment in his own kind caused the golden-haired ellon to almost shake his head in disgust. At least, here, Randiron hoped Mo would find acceptance and friendship. Perhaps, there was now a chance for it?
With that thought, she turned and looked for Randiron. She found him standing a few feet away with Alya’s infant held in his loving, capable arms, and a surge of happiness warmed her heart. Blue-grey eyes met those of dark grey—different, and yet, so alike—and the Healer’s smile shined bright.

Smiling back, Randiron carefully shifted the infant into one arm. When he was certain Fea was secure, he held out his other for Drauglíriel.

"You hold her like you've had practice," the Healer said, coming up to him. Giving her a hug, he quietly complemented his daughter on her work, and though he still smiled, his soft voice betrayed the 'bittersweetness' the tall elf felt. "No - I've not held one so small before," Randiron answered, "But... so would I have held you,iell nín*, if I'd had the chance to!" he told her, and lightly kissed the top of her head.

With a deep sigh, and a rueful twist to his lips, Randiron then turned them to the stranger. "I'm afraid, you'll have to forgive us," he said, "You've caught us on a rather... 'unusual' morning. My name is Randiron, and this," and it was with pure joy, he went on, "Is my daughter, Wolfsong - our Healer. Is there something we can help you with? - The Inn's not open yet..."

* my daughter
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: August 02, 2005 08:25
Now that Mo had said thank you her thoughts turned to other matters, her belly grumbled hungrily reminding her she had missed breakfast. It wasn't long before both she and PB were sat eating, occasionally Mo would glance up to sneak a look at the Elves but each time she looked they seemed busy with their own business leaving her to feel more relaxed than she had done before.

For a while she tried to converse with PB but he being a Hobbit was happily enjoying his second breakfast and not inclined to discuss the finer points of granite. In truth Mo was rather relieved as she wanted time to think, so much had happened and so quickly.

It was during this time that Mo's eyes alighted on a bowl of fruit, she had been staring at it for a while before she realised why, it was just the thing Nog would enjoy, Mo reached out and took one, it was quite small and it didn't take Mo long to spot a bigger one near the bottom, knowing it wasn't good manners to take more than one at a time Mo quickly ate the small apple before eagerly grabbing the larger one.

Unfortunately for Mo once she had taken the second apple it allowed her to see an even bigger one right at the bottom, Mo looked perplexed, she was already full, there wasn't even room for a grape yet alone another apple, hopefully she offered it to PB but he was still eating bacon and eggs and declined her offer.

Mo wondered if she could sneak the apple back into the bowl and then retrieve the larger one, but no matter how she tried to visualise it she couldn't see a way to return the apple and then be able to reach the one she wanted.

By now the Elves were rather curious, Dwarves did not often show such an interest in fruit, it wasn't long before Mo noticed their curious looks. Mo decided there was nothing for it but to grab the second apple bad manners or not. She made a quick grab, forgetting there were apples on top the one she wanted, as she took it so all the apples tipped out of the bowl and fell about the table, luckily only two fell on the floor.

Mo stood frozen to the spot, her face red with embarrassment each hand holding an apple. She looked like a naughty kid caught with her fingers in the cookie jar but she felt far worse. It seemed she stood for an eternity although it was but a few moments before she suddenly lept into action, grabbing up the two fallen apples she made off for the back door

"I'm going to give them horses a treat." she declared.

Mo however never got to open the door for as she approached it she began to recall the dreadful events earlier, suddenly she was too scared to go out alone and turning back she entered the kitchen once more.

"Umm . . ." she began hesitantly

"Would one of you come with me I'm afraid . . . err that is I'm afraid I might spook your fine horses"

But the look in her eyes told the others she was truly frightened to go outside alone.

[Edited on 2/8/2005 by Happy_Hobbit]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: August 02, 2005 09:05
My name is Randiron, and this," and it was with pure joy, he went on, "Is my daughter, Wolfsong - our Healer. Is there something we can help you with? - The Inn's not open yet..."

PB was trying to pay attention to Mo's discussion of stone- working while he busily filled his stomache, but when he heard that he almost fell out of his chair. he ws really going to have to get to know his new friends a LOT better so as to avoid surprise like this one.
Watching Mo struggle with the apples was amusing ; at least she wasn't as apprehensive of the Elves now. Her comments made it obvious though, that she was now more scared of going backt o the stable than she was of the Elves.
"I don't know how much help I can be" he told her,' but I'd like to accompany you to the stable'

PB then addressed the room; 'Before we go out, we all need to discuss what we should do with the man we left tied to the Rail at the stable. we cant just let him go but we've no facilities for keeping him here and I really don't know what we should do with him.'
'He did have the right to see the return of Nog, but if he was an honest man, he would have aproached us rather than planninng the attack on Mo.'
Mo, who was standing at the open door, suddenly interrupted Pb; "He's gone! The man isn't tied to the rail anymore."

[Edited on 2/8/2005 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2005 10:21
(hi everyone - I'm going on holiday to California and I'll be gone until September. I might be able to get online once or twice, but I'm not sure. So I already talked to berethedhellen about it and if I'm right, she said she would write for Alya in the meantime...and maybe for Nolarion (he is in the data base and still pretty open - so anyone could do it). Well, I wish you a very, very nice time and I'm looking forward to returning to this great roleplay after the holidays! )

Nolarion turned around. "My name is Nolarion," he said and looked at the tall elf. "I figured you could need a hand with the inn still... but if you don't I could..." He looked at Alya again and decided he would stay anyway. This was as close as he ever got to finding his sister. The description fit....

When Calen reached out for her Alya immediately responded. She sat down next to him and helped him to rest his head against her shoulder. Then with a look she checked for Fea and saw her safe and content in Randiron's arms. Her eyes passed a silent thank you to him and to Wolfsong. Then she sat there content, holding Calen and waiting for him to get well.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: August 05, 2005 05:44
Resting his head on Alya's shoulder, her arm around his own, Calen watched the rest of his friends as his wound began to heal. Whatever potion the healer had placed on the sliced edges of his skin drew it together and took the pain from it. Inwardly, he chuckled at the Hobbit, PB, who, as though nothing had taken place in his world, was spooning food into his mouth as though there would never be another meal at his disposal. His amusement peaked as he watched Mo struggle, one apple at a time, to reach one in the bottom of the bowl until the entire bowl tipped and dropped them all and they scattered everywhere across the table, two of them reaching the floor. His eyes took in the quiet joy in Randiron's as he spoke of Wolfesong... his daughter. How strange was it for a father and daughter who had never met or even knew of one another to be brought together in this, a most isolated area of Middle Earth. And now, here was another stranger, who also sat quietly watching the activities in the crowded kitchen.

When Randiron, who was holding Fea cradled in his arm, asked this stanger his name, he responded. "My name is Nolarion," he said and looked at the tall elf. Calen leaned forward over the edge of the table and spoke to the new stranger, obviously another elf.

"My name is Calenhenevor." he said and then named the others in the room. Nolarion was welcomed by them all, even Mo, who said nothing, yet showed no animosity towards him. He in turn greeted them as well. As he finished, Fea twisted in Randiron's arm and her face crumpled, and she began to whimper. Alya arose and took her from Randiron, smiling once again her thanks for his holding her while she cared for Calen. As she sat again next to her wounded love, he grimaced slightly.

"Ahem....I do believe she is in need of a change," he said, as his nose twitched. Alya grinned and stood up, turning to lay Fea on the chair. "Don't let her slip off, Calen. I'll be back in a minute." Alya hurried to the cradle and pulled out the necessary materials to change Fea's underclothes. As she bared the infant's body, Nolarion, who had been watching with interest, stood up so suddenly that his chair fell backwards onto the floor. He stared at Fea, his eyes full of shock and wonder, his complexion paling to a sickly white.

"What is that? There..the mark...what is it?" he asked, as he gazed at the small blue crescent shape mark. Everyone was frozen into silence at the behaviour of the elf until Calen answered, "It is a but a birthmark, Nolarion. Only a birthmark." Alya spoke up a moment later.

" I too have one exactly the same as my child's. In exactly the same place." If the people in the room had been silent before, they were now stunned by his reaction.

"Long have I wandered, long have I searched. I planned to come here and it was to be my last stop. I was no longer going to look. I was going to give up the search. May the Valar be forever thanked," he said, tears running down his cheeks. While no one else knew what was happening, Calen's eyes switched back and forth from Nolarion to Alya and he nodded in understanding.

"You were searching for any member of your family that had survived, weren't you? And you have found your sister. Am I not correct?" Watching both of them, he could clearly see the resemblence of their joint bloodline. He heard a gasp from Alya and saw Noldarion's head nodding, a smile growing through his tears.

"Yes, I have found my sister," he said softly. Looking into Alya's eyes, he said, "I too have the birthmark. All in our family did. I have found you at long last, my little one."

This second family reunion was interrupted abruptly by the Dwarf. Mo, standing in the door way, blurted out, "He's gone! The man isn't tied to the rail anymore."

Calen rose to his feet immediately. "Alya, stay here and talk to your brother. PB, Randiron, come! He can only have returned to Bree. We must go after him and find one of the Rangers to talk to about his evil deeds before he returns with more of his henchman."
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: August 06, 2005 09:07
Grosman waited until the residents of the Forsaken Inn had all gone inside, once they were out of sight he retrieved a small knife hidden inside his boot and although it took several attempts he finally managed to cut his bonds.

His first thought was to set the stable afire, that would teach those inside to treat him as a common criminal, it was only after he had reached the stable that another thought occurred to him.

"Perhaps" he thought

"There is another way, one which will exact far more punishment than the loss of a few rag tag horses and a wretched donkey."

Careful to give the inn a wide berth Grosman headed back towards Bree, he did not take the direct route however as he was certain the Elves, at least, would search for him. Instead he took a secret path through farms and down narrow lanes across the beck that ran at the bottom of Farmer Wheatears bottom paddock then by old tracks. When he reached old Mizzy's farm he stopped to borrow one of her fine horses. She happy to help a Bree lander who was on his way to report a terrible crime.

By dawn the following day Grosman had reached the East Gate,

"Where are the rangers?" he demanded

"Why do you need to know?

The Gate-man was less than helpful having been woken by Grossman's early arrival, he stretched and yawned eying Grosman with thinly veiled disgust. Then coming to his senses began to apologise profusely directing Grosman to the Prancing Pony.

"I believe, Mr Grosman sir, that they are staying at the inn, least ways thats what I heard sir."

Grosman spat and wiped a dirty hand across his chin, ignoring the grovelling gate-man, he headed towards the inn,

"Now lets set the scene"

He looked around. The area outside the inn was empty. Bending down he scooped a handful of dirt and smeared it across his face and down the front of his cloak, then taking his knife he made a small cut below his left ear, finally he scraped his knuckles along the ground grazing them,

"That should do nicely."

He muttered eying the now bleeding knuckles,

"They won't know and there's none to tell different, lets see if they feel so clever when they are charged with theft and murder"

His face grew pale as with much ado he staggered into the inn,

Bob a Hobbit who worked at the inn saw him enter and with great concern called at once for Butterbur the Innkeeper, he hearing Bob's alarm came running bringing with him two rangers

Grosman smirked, masking it with a wail of pain . .

"Help!! he cried weakly

"I've been robbed and . . ."

He feigned collapse causing the rangers to aid Butterbur sit him on a nearby chair.

"I think . . ."

His face grew wretched and his hands shook. Butterbur nodded to Bob, who hurried to the bar and quickly filled a glass. Returning he pushed the glass into the seemingly reluctant fingers of the victim's hand. After gulping down the glass of brandy Grosman continued.

"I think they have killed my two good companions."

gwendeth
Send Message
on: August 06, 2005 10:13
Randiron was satisfied to let Calen 'take over' the introductions. The tall, golden-haired elf hadn't missed Pb's surprise when he mentioned Wolfsong was his daughter - nor Calen's... but he was much to happy to say anything. But, when Fea whimpered, he was glad to turn the babe over to Alya - not that he couldn't have 'handled' what was needed... but it was a sign the elleth was coming out of her shock, and merely smiled back.
"What is that? There..the mark...what is it?" he asked, as he gazed at the small blue crescent shape mark. Everyone was frozen into silence at the behaviour of the elf until Calen answered, "It is a but a birthmark, Nolarion. Only a birthmark." Alya spoke up a moment later.

" I too have one exactly the same as my child's. In exactly the same place." If the people in the room had been silent before, they were now stunned by his reaction.

"Long have I wandered, long have I searched. I planned to come here and it was to be my last stop. I was no longer going to look. I was going to give up the search. May the Valar be forever thanked," he said, tears running down his cheeks. While no one else knew what was happening, Calen's eyes switched back and forth from Nolarion to Alya and he nodded in understanding.

"You were searching for any member of your family that had survived, weren't you? And you have found your sister. Am I not correct?" Watching both of them, he could clearly see the resemblence of their joint bloodline. He heard a gasp from Alya and saw Noldarion's head nodding, a smile growing through his tears.

"Yes, I have found my sister," he said softly. Looking into Alya's eyes, he said, "I too have the birthmark. All in our family did. I have found you at long last, my little one."

At first Randiron wasn't paying much attention, but as the events unfolded, his arm tightened around his daughter. Looking down at her with shining eyes, he shook his head ruefully. "It seems we are all more 'family' here than we'd thought, Drauglíriel, iell nín!" the ellon said softly. " - And I, for one, could never have imagined that any of this could have happened in this place. The Inn might be 'forsaken' - but we, inside it, are not! - Not any of us," and looked up when Mo came in the door.
This second family reunion was interrupted abruptly by the Dwarf. Mo, standing in the door way, blurted out, "He's gone! The man isn't tied to the rail anymore."

Calen rose to his feet immediately. "Alya, stay here and talk to your brother. PB, Randiron, come! He can only have returned to Bree. We must go after him and find one of the Rangers to talk to about his evil deeds before he returns with more of his henchman."

"Indeed!" Randiron nodded, and giving his daughter a quick hug, "I'll be back soon, little one - I promise!" the elf said, "Please - will you fetch my bow and quiver from my room?" he asked - thinking it would save time. Turning to Pb, "You can ride behind me on Nauren," Randiron offered, "We'll go faster on horseback..."

With a smile of thanks to Wolfsong, he, Calen, and Pb were swiftly mounted. Bidding the Hobbit to hang on tightly, Randiron twisted his long hair into a braid - to keep it out of Pb's face; and in moments, the elves had urged their mounts into a fast canter.

But, as they traveled towards Bree, no sign could they find of the escapee. "He can't be that far ahead of us!" Randiron frowned at Calen, quite puzzled. "Could he have doubled-back somewhere? Is there a shortcut I don't know about?"

Certainly, the ellon thought, this was very, very odd...

[Edited on 6/8/2005 by gwendeth]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2005 04:29
Elenath had watched the family reunions with a half-smile, and was about to disappear upstairs to spare herself the scene when Mo came rushing in again.

"He's gone! The man isn't tied to the rail anymore."

In a flash, everyone was up and racing outside to the post where they had last left the man. Calen, Randiron, and PB took off almost immediately on horseback, but somehow Elenath doubted they would find much by taking to the main road like that. She had never been much of a warrior - not having the stature, nor the temperament, but having spent most of her life as a tracker, she had learned early on that criminals or men who had anything to hide never used the main road - they usually had a plethora of "secret" escape routes up their sleeves.

It took only a while before Elenath found the path the man had took, and, not waiting for any of the others to follow, she traced the man's route through farms and obscure back lanes. He appeared to be alone and on foot, until she reached a small farm on the outskirts of Bree, where the tracks showed the man had mounted a horse and set off once more towards Bree at a gallop. This had probably given the man something of an advantage - he could have reached Bree by now, and found more ruffians, or perhaps spread stories about the inn, or - she pressed on as fast as she could run, until Bree was in sight.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: August 07, 2005 10:32
Calen rode alongside Randiron as PB clung to Randiron's back, looking obviously very unhappy about this means of travel. Taking the East West Rd was not the most direct route as the road weaved and turned frequently. As the came in sight of Bree, Calen noticed movement on the hillside and called over to Randiron, pointing in that direction.

"Randiron, over there. Look. Is it him?" Then his elven eyes opened wide. "I'll be..... It's Elaneth. How did she get here so quickly?" Reining his horse around, he rode up the hillside until he was looking down at the ellath. "What route did you take, mellon nin? We must certainly allow you to lead us in the future," he said, laughing.

When she had explained her route and what she had discovered, Calen grew serious immediately. "Then he has reached Bree ahead of us. We must find the Rangers as quickly as possible, before he gets away again. Here, take my arm. Ride with me." Reaching out, he pulled Elaneth up behind him and he quickly rode back down the hill to where Randiron and PB were waiting. Together, the four finished the ride to the South Gate of Bree, where the gatekeeper opened the gate to allow them passage through.

"I think the Prancing Pony should be our first stop. The Rangers gather there to eat and catch up on news." The rode through the streets until the reached the Inn and dismounted, tying their horses to the hitching post. Entering the Inn, the walked into the tavern, eyes searching for the Rangers. They found them more quickly than they expected.

"That's them! That's the elves who killed my friends and left me in this condition before I escaped their clutches." The very man they were looking for was not only right there in front of them but was sitting at the table with the Rangers, who all stood quickly and approached Calen and his friends.

One tall dark haired Ranger, toughened by years in the wild, said, "We must hold you, gentlemen...and lady...as you have been accused of murder by that man over there. We have questions to ask of you." The rest of the Rangers surrounded Calen, Randiron, PB and Elaneth, leading them to a table in the corner of the room, where they were told to sit. Doing so, Calen looked at his friends, and then up at the Rangers.

"I think we have found ourselves in the midst of a misunderstanding."
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: August 08, 2005 12:39
Not being one to take any sass from anyone, even if surounded by armed Rangers, Pb stood up to his full height, defiantly ignoring the commands to sit, and waited . The ranger listened carefuly to Calen's explanation of the incident at the stable and the nodded. Calen concluded by saying that they were willing to repay Grosman for Nog, but made it very clear that Mo had been far too busy working on the well to have sneaked back and stolen the mule.
The Ranger then spoke; 'This seems a far more credible strotry than the yarn spun by Grosman. knowing what I do of him and his nefarious companions I had my doubts as to his credibility.' he then turned to Grosman; "Is it not likely that you're companion carelessly left the latch loose, and that the beast,wishing to escape its foul treatment, simply wandered off and headed back to its home? You, sir, attempted to take the law into your own hands, trespassed onto the property of these fine people, and assaulted a dwarf! Your companions were killed when they attacked citizens that were only protecting their own and I for one , will shed no tears at their deaths. In my judgment. as a representative of the King in Gondor, your payment for the beast is now forfeit as a partial restitution to these people, you are banned from ever travelling to the Forsaken Inn again, and this matter is now closed.'
The Ranger then apologized to the group from the Inn for the entire incident,andthen asked Butterbur to bring a round of ale to the table so that he and his fellow Rangers could sit discuss the safety of the Road with the new owners of the Forsaken Inn.
Before the conversation could start, PB reached into his purse and handed some coins to the Ranger; 'I must insist that Grosman be repaid for Nog. He no longer has the mule in his possession, and we at the Inn must insist that his payment be returned.'
The ranger took the proferred coins and then explained his concerns. It seemed that as the only permenent uot[post between Bree and Imladris, the Forsaken would need to assume some responsinbilities as a safe haven for travellers, at least until the road could be made more secure. The rangers would do what they could, but there were not enoug of them remaining to adeqautely secure the Road over its entire length. many bandits , and some of the unrepentant from Saruaman's Dunlending allies, had been felling North along the Greenway and headed this way, and some of them would look at travellers as easy prey.

[Edited on 8/8/2005 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: August 11, 2005 11:41
Randiron had been stunned by the escapee's accusation, so much so, he could say not a word. Rather a 'wise' thing to do, he decided, when Calen immeditately 'took charge' of the situation, and made their 'case' before the Rangers. - Besides, he'd not actually 'been there' to witness the altercation.

And, it was with inward amusement and admiration he watched Pb standing tall (figuratively) before them, and their 'accuser'. - But also, Randiron knew his own kind far too well, and trusted his new companions implicitly... and for anyone to think any elf woud kill without having an extremely good reason for it? At least, the Rangers here had sense enough to believe them!

But, when all seemed to be 'settled' between themselves and the Rangers in regards to the Forsaken Inn's new duty as a haven, Randiron began to get 'fidgety'. He wanted to get back there... to get back to Wolfsong - back to his new-found daughter. All too well he knew what had 'happened' the last time he was 'called away'... and every moments delay was grating on his nerves - and was half-afraid she'd not be there upon his return.

Evening was drawing near, and at last, the tall elf's impatience could be contained no longer. Keeping his voice quiet, he still knew Calen and Elenath could tell he was agitated, as Randiron spoke.

"If - forgive me... but since the 'details' of our new task have been laid out... I will return to the Inn now. I'll carry the news that all is well, and the rest of you can do as you wish. - Either to come tonight, too, or stay the night. But I - I must get back to the Forsaken Inn as soon as I can!"

Giving the company a polite bow, Randiron hurried to where he'd left Nauren. "Quickly, my friend!" he bade the huge horse, "We must get home to Drauglíriel!" and in seconds, they were galloping Eastward over the fields... and as his long, blond hair streamed behind him, the ellon made a mental note to thank Elenath for showing them the 'shortcut'...
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2005 01:07
Elenath watched Randiron go with an amused smile, and turned back to the issue at hand.

"Perhaps we could return as well; I believe any talk of defence would be better discussed there, when we can actually see the area we have to deal with. Personally, I'd like to take a closer look at the surrounding terrain as well, and we might not want to leave the others for too long." here she cast a baleful glare at Grosman.

[OOC: Am taking liberties here, if you don't like it then tell me and I'll edit or something...]

In a short time the group, now with the addition of a few Rangers, was traversing the fields and back lanes Grosman had used to shave time off his flight. It didn't take long before they were back at the inn.
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: August 12, 2005 11:43
Mo had watched the others leave with a mixture of anger and dismay, she was upset that they had not thought to take her with them and distressed when she realised she was still afraid to go to the stable alone.

She wandered back into the Inn, it was a days walk to Bree, horses would take half that and the same for the return journey, it would be a full day before PB and the others came back.

The young healer was busy clearing up after treating Calan. The other Elves were happily fussing the baby. Mo decided not to trouble them and instead turned back to the back door and stood just inside.

After a short time she ventured from the kitchen, heading for the stable, she had managed a few yards before fear sent her scurryimg back to the Inn. She stood panting and shaking and knowing she had failed.

Later she tried again, this time she decided to make for the small wood just behind the stable if she could make it there then returning to the stable would be on the way back to the Inn. In the end Mo took a long detour, but finally she made it. Nog was waiting to greet her and it was with a sense of pride she offered him an apple and a loving hug.

Before she left Nog for the night she made sure to feed him and the horses, and to ensure they had water and a good supply of hay. Tomorrow she would make a start on moving the anvil to one of the other buildings ready for PB's return.

With that thought she returned to her quarters and despite all the excitement of the day slept soundly until morning.

[Edited on 12/8/2005 by Happy_Hobbit]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: August 12, 2005 12:08
PB would have liked to have at least eaten a second meal, one for the road; so to speak , before they set off back to the Inn. It seemed that no-one wished to stay the night, and they ended up leaving together, although Randiron rapidly disappeared ahead of the rest. He'd taken the shortcut as he was very desirous of seeing the healer again.
PB ended up riding back on Elenath's horse. He wasn't much on bouncing on a horse and a more than half-days ride each way wasn't doing anything for his thighs, or for his almost healed legs.
He didn't talk much on the way back. He was thinking about their new responsibilities for traveller's, the surprising relationships between his compoanions, and about getting his forge set up. despite the bouncing ride, he somehow managed to doze off for a bit on the return journey.
________--
The sun had set risen shortly before the Inn came into view and PB's stomache was protesting loudly about that long a ride withoiut a meal stop. (funny but his stomache hadn't bothered him on the way to Bree- must have been the nervousness over what they could have found back in town). As soon as he was set down from the horse he headed into the Inn and right to the kitchen. He'd leave it to the others to give greetings - he needed a good meal.!!
Some bread, cheese and fried salted meat, and he headed for a table.
He sat back and litened while Calen , Rand, and the others discussed what Grosman had said, what the Ranger's had decided, and also what they had discussed about the Forsaken Inn and their responsibilities as far as traveller's safety. The Ranger's even decided to stay at the Inn for a couple of days and help with the set up of a watch tower.
While PB was listening, Mo joined him, supplying him with a cup of the healer's tea. while the others discussed ways of improving the Inn as a haven for weary travellers, PB and Mo discussed ways of getting the forge running again.

[Edited on 12/8/2005 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: August 12, 2005 03:08
Calen arrived back at the Inn, accompanied by Elaneth who carried PB on her horse with her and the Rangers, led by Andurin, their leader. They all went directly to the stables to settle their steeds for the night before they went to the Inn itself....that is, all but PB, who scurried off to the back door to the kitchen at once. Calen laughed, knowing the Hobbit's main concern was not the bellies of the horses but his own. As he unreined his horse and began the process of combing it down, his eyes surveyed the stable, noting that the remaining horses and Nog had been well fed and watered. "Mo," he thought, mentally thanking the Dwarf for her kindness to the animals. He'd have to remember to thank her when he got back to the kitchen. As he finished, Andurin tapped his shoulder with the back of the Ranger's hand, which he then pointed to the stall in the corner.

"I gather that is the infamous Nog, yes?" Calen's eyes followed the direction of the Ranger's pointed finger and nodded. "Yes, that is the poor beast who found his own way home to Mo." At the sound of his name, Nog lifted his head and brayed softly (for a donkey, that is) and then lowered his head and nodded off again after seeing that no one had a handout for him.

When the Elves and Rangers had completed their care of the animals, Calen and Elaneth led the Rangers towards the back door that opened into the kitchen. As Calen entered, his eyes immediately searched for Alya, whose eyes met his just as quickly. Smiling, Calen walked across the kitchen, enfolding Alya into his arms and placing a kiss on her forehead. "How is everything, my love?," he asked, reaching out his hand to stroke Fea's head who was happily sitting in her cradle, playing with a feather that Nolarion was waving in front of her. "Nolarion? You're niece seems to have taken to you already." Glancing around the rest of the kitchen, he saw Randiron and Draugliriel sitting side by side in the corner near the fireplace, speaking intensely to one another, barely even noticing the others in the kitchen.

"Randiron!" Calen called out. When the fair haired elf lifted his head and met his eyes, Calen grinned. "You left us with three people and one horse in your hurry to return here, you know. We had to pay the stabler for a horse to bear Elenath and PB home. You owe me 3 gold pieces, my friend," he said, still grinning. "Draugliriel, your father wants not to waste another moment without you as part of his world. Bear that in mind whenever you have the urge to wander as he will haunt your footsteps." He was openly laughing now, enjoying his own joke.

"Right now, however, we have three Rangers and two Elves who are ravenous. Is there anything to eat? And where is Mo? I so wanted to thank her for caring for the animals in our absence."
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2005 11:32
Backtracking a little...

The morning was nearing. In a humble attic that only had one room, a couple was preparing for the day's work, although a deep silence stood in the air. A young thin woman hurredly tied her black, curly hair in a bun at the base of her neck. Reycha had not let it flow freely for the past five years. Pran, her husband, thought it would cause other men desire her. So, she obeyed. He was her husband, after all.
Reycha made the breakfast from what she could gather. Putting it on the rough table in front of Pran she said:
"We don't have any food left at home."

He didn't even look at her.
"So what?" the man asked with a full mouth.

"I thought maybe you could buy some bread or..." she stopped as Pran threw several coins on the table. Reycha was busy all day long cleaning and doing loundry and couldn't leave the grey house's cellars even for a moment, but there was no use to tell it... again. She sighed and took the money. Reycha thought about her son, Marim. The day before she had finished her work too late and Mistress Sygla, her mother-in-law, wouldn't let her take Marim home. Somehow Reycha felt the old woman was trying to isolate her from her own child as she could.

"Remember - I will know if you steal a single penny!" Pran warned her.

"Don't worry, I won't take anything," the young woman replied. There was nothing to take, after all.

Without any further conversation between them, the breakfast was finished and Pran left for work. Reycha sadly looked at the empty plate. Maybe it was even for good that Marim had stayed with his grandmother. His mother wouldn't had anything to give him for breakfast.
Her own stomack grumbling, Reycha put away the plate and left the cold room. She moved slowly, feeling exhausted even before reaching the grey house where she served as a maid. Reycha didn't think about it, but her weakness was caused by the constant hunger she was suffering. Pran always got the best food they had, and whatever was left over she saved for Marim. The young woman stood a while outside Mistress Sygla's door, knowing that her son was in there, and she couldn't even hold him! With a sigh, she continued her way.

The day passed without either sun or fresh air. Doing laundry all day long, Reycha once almost fainted, but the other women gote her up quickly enough so that the Supervisor wouldn't notice. She would get fired right away. Reycha blew on her bruised fingers and took a deep breath before taking yet another linen and soaking it in the warm water. The soap bit them, but the young woman started rubbing the sheet fiercely.
The day was already old when angry voices were heard outside. Reycha was too tired to care, but it turned out that she should have. Two town guards came in and grabbed her by her arms.
"Come with us, ma'am."

"What is it?" Reycha asked frightened. Her first thought was about Marim. "Is anything wrong with my baby?!" her voice was hysterical.

"No, ma'am, as far as I know your son is fine," one of the men answered indifferently. Reycha was dragged out of the house, the whole household watching. From the look on the supervisor's face, Reycha knew there would be no return for her to this job. She gulped, fear squeezing her heart. Pran would be VERY angry with her... and she would have to explain yet another pair of bruises to Doctor Calden who was always so kind...

Suddenly she realized it was her own yard where she was being taken to. It was full of people and serious guards, trying to keep the shouting crowd under control. As she was being dragged through it, angry voices and faces surrounded her. Their anger was meant for... her!
Then they were inside the circle formed by guards... and Reycha froze. There in an ever widening puddle of blood lay Pran, and Doctor Calden, still holding a deadly grip on each other. Disbelievingly, the young woman stared at them.

"Well?" the Guard Chief looked at her with cold eyes.

"W...what?"

"What do you know about this, ma'am?! This woman here says you were the reason for this slaughter!"

"Yes, and I can repeat it!" a loud voice made Reycha turn her head. There stood Mistress Sygla, her mother-in-law, eyeing her with a hateful glare. "Being married to my son Pran, she had an affair with Doctor Caldan, trying to fool the both of them! And today the poor young fool came to Pran to demand explanations! Pran got angry, and he had every right to, and they fought, and now both are dead! My poor son!!!" Sygla missed, however the part that she had been the one to tell Pran that Caldan was sitting on his doorstep, waiting for Reycha, like the other night.

"What do you have to say in this matter?" the Guard Chief didn't take his eyes off her for a moment.

"But... It is not true! I..." Reycha was at loss. She couldn't believe it! "I have always been loyal to my husband. I swear I have! The Doctor was just a friend..." Marim! Where was Marim?!

"Not true?! How dare you? I saw you yesterday with my own eyes, lassie! You and the young doctor! They were caressing each other right here, where her own husband now lays dead! So disgusting!" Sygla screamed.

"Do you deny it?" the Guard Chief demanded.

"I... no, but..." Reycha muttered, desperately trying to think of anything to say, to explain that the Doctor had only wanted to inquire on her health and the health of Marim. Her head wouldn't work right. All she could think about was her baby. Where was he?!

"You see?! She doesn't even deny her trespass! How cynical!" Sygla yelled over the tumultuous crowd. "Banish her from Bree!"

The excited roar of the crowd almost deafened Reycha. Banish?

"No, wait! I have nowhere to... Marim! Where is my child!" - but nobody listened to her. She was being dragged along the streets to the Southern Gate.

"You have lost all your rights to raise him, my dear," it was Sygla who leaned closer to her and whispered these cruel words that pierced Reycha's heart like a white-hot knife.

"Throw her out! She is the spot of shame to our town! A stranger! An incomer from nowhere! In the times of our ancestors her crime would be considered a double murder, too! And she should be stoned to death!" Sygla's piercing voice kept stirring the already boiling crowd, so that the guards had to protect Reycha from the ravaging people. She was thrown mercilessly down outside the gates. Several stones hit her painfully before the guards regained the control and closed the gate, leaving the young woman outside, all alone.
She lay there for a while, unable to understand what had happened. Then she got up and made a few shaky steps. Completely lost, she looked around. Tears started running down her pale face. What was she to do? With no clear thoughts on her mind, Reycha walked down the empty road, her tears blinding her vision. All she could think about was that she had just lost her son, the only person she held dear, the only one who loved her, her own flesh and blood. Her hands felt so empty! She just walked and walked... and walked... until her knees bent and she rolled off the road in a ditch. In the deepest pit of despair, Reycha let out a howl, full of pain, like a she-wolf, that has just lost her cub. Then she collapsed in the muddy ditch, too exhausted to even sob.

[Edited on 14/8/2005 by Nifredil]
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
gwendeth
Send Message
on: August 14, 2005 12:53
Randiron had ridden throughout the night, arriving back at the Inn shortly before dawn. Grateful for Nauren's sure-footedness, the tall elf paused only long enough to tend his mount, and then hurried inside.

All was still quiet within the Forsaken Inn, the elf noticed, and making one other stop he dropped his bow and quiver into his own room. - And - biting his lower lip in anxiety, headed for his daughter's. Closing his eyes tightly in anticipation of not finding her there, Randiron quietly knocked on the door. Listening keenly, he thought he heard Drauglíriel stir... but, "Daughter! Draugíriel? Wolfsong??" he called, each word just a bit louder... and his knock a bit firmer. "Wolfsong - 'tis I - your father - are you there?" the ellon tried a third time.

And, when she (finally!) sleepily opened it, Randiron's arms were around her in an instant. "Thank Eru!" the golden-haired ellon whispered, and hugged Wolfsong tightly. "I'm so glad to see you!" he went on, and flushing a little, let his daughter go again. "Forgive me for waking you, iell nín," and Randiron shook his head. "I - I was afraid you'd not be here," he said in a low voice, and looked at the floor. "After I left... and came back... and your mother was gone... I was - I thought... and I'd just found you... - and I couldn't bear it if you 'disappeared' like Gladwyn did..." and explanations tumbled from the elf's lips.

Yet, Wolfsong soothed him, and gave her father another hug. "Let me get dressed, and I'll make you some tea," she said, and while Randiron berated himself for being a fool, he waited.

After breakfast had been readied, Randiron sat down with Wolfsong at a table in the back, and the two settled down to talking. There was so much for him to 'catch up' on, and there were questions a-many both to ask of, and answer for his new found daughter, that barely, the ellon noticed Alya, Fea, and her new Uncle coming down - - or Pb coming in and piling his plate with food, - or that there was a group of Rangers who'd accompanied the others back to the Inn.
"Randiron!" Calen called out. When the fair haired elf lifted his head and met his eyes, Calen grinned. "You left us with three people and one horse in your hurry to return here, you know. We had to pay the stabler for a horse to bear Elenath and PB home. You owe me 3 gold pieces, my friend," he said, still grinning. "Draugliriel, your father wants not to waste another moment without you as part of his world. Bear that in mind whenever you have the urge to wander as he will haunt your footsteps." He was openly laughing now, enjoying his own joke.

At that, Randiron's face turned bright red. He'd not thought of anyone else in his hurry to get back to his daughter... and that was inexusable!

With an apologetic sigh, he then grinned, and winked at her. "I'll give you four, mellon nín - if you'll forgive me!" he answered, and then squeezed Drauglíriel's hand. "I'd better get to that painting now," the elf said, and rose to begin his work.

A coat of white went on first... and by the time he'd finished with the bottom half of the wall, the top half was dry enough for the second coat. But, this time, the Artist covered it with varying shades of blue... and a bright, sunlit Middle-Earth sky began to appear. Trees... and bushes... and a stream that seemed to 'sparkle' as it rushed over stones and rocks were added next.

Standing back to critically survey his creation, and unheeding of the paint-marks that were streaking his golden hair, and unaware that various of his new companions had been taking peeks at it throughout the day, Randiron nodded to himself in satisfaction. In front of him now, was a perfect replica of Rivendell's beautiful valley gracing the first wall of the main room of the Forsaken Inn.

As he began to gather his materials to put them away, the elf turned to see more than one set of eyes looking at it, too. "Well?" he asked diffidently, "Is it all right?"

[Edited on 15/8/2005 by gwendeth]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2005 01:18
Elenath sat down in her usual spot by the window, leaving Calen to do most of the talking while her mind wandered and settled back on an idea she had been toying vaguely with before all the ruckus. She'd realised the inn would soon be needing more cloth - for curtains, bedsheets, becorative piece, clothes even. The damask Calen had found in the attic would not last forever, and anyway, Elenath was obsessed with quality. She knew how she wanted the cloth, and she was going to get it done that way. Earlier, she had discovered a couple of sturdy wooden sticks in the barn - they would make a good enough portable loom. Fashioning herself a backstrap from some leftover scraps of damask, she drew some spools of thread - the thinnest she could get - from her workbag and arranged them so she could get the pattern she wanted. Finally, she looped the free end of the loom around a table leg and began to weave.

As she fell into the familiar rhythm of weaving, she looked around the inn. Calen was still discussing matters of defence with the Rangers, Ayla was catching up with her brother, and Randiron was starting on painting one of the walls.

A coat of white went on first... and by the time he'd finished with the bottom half of the wall, the top half was dry enough for the second coat. But, this time, the Artist covered it with varying shades of blue... and a bright, sunlit Middle-Earth sky began to appear. Trees... and bushes... and a stream that seemed to 'sparkle' as it rushed over stones and rocks were added next.

Standing back to critically survey his creation, and unheeding of the paint-marks that were streaking his golden hair, and unaware that various of his new companions had been taking peeks at it throughout the day, Randiron nodded to himself in satisfaction. In front of him now, was a perfect replica of Rivendell's beautiful valley gracing the first wall of the main room of the Forsaken Inn.

As he began to gather his materials to put them away, the elf turned to see more than one set of eyes looking at it, too. "Well?" he asked diffidently, "Is it all right?"

It's wonderful." Elenath breathed, almost reverently. "It looks exactly as I remembered it."
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: August 14, 2005 08:58
Calen spent the early part of the day showing the Rangers where the assault on Mo had taken place and he had slain two of the attackers. He and the Rangers buried the two at the far end of a field, the Rangers having determined who the two were and making note to tell their families, should there be any, where their grave was. While the Rangers settled into a room, with the help of Alya, who also found a small room for her brother near her own (and 'his', he thought with a smile), Calen began working on carving replacement moldings to match those that were still in place. The ancient Elven carvings were extremely intricate and his concentration on duplicating them was intense. It wasn't until late afternoon that Alya found him, sitting cross legged on the floor, a piece of wood in his hand which he was carving one small nick at a time, gazing every now and then toward the piece which he wanted to match.

"Calen, you will blind yourself if you do not leave off this for a bit. Come. Have a mug of mead and some fruit." She took the knife from his hand and pulled him to his feet. He stood for a moment, his eye still focussed on the intricately carved molding, and then he blinked, turning his head to look at Alya. His lips curled up in the corners as he smiled at her lovely face.

"Of course, love. I am sorry...I have ignored you all day. Where is everyone else?" He calculated that Mo was still among the missing (where had she gone, he wondered), that PB was out setting up his anvil, the Rangers establishing the outer borders of the Inn's lands, but Noldarion, Elaneth, Draugiriel and Randiron....where were they? When Alya filled him in on the activities that had been taking place.. Noldarion had been cleaning his room, Draugiriel had been searching for herbs and other plants, Elaneth had been weaving and Randiron had been painting. Calen, his arm around her shoulder, walked with her to the kitchen where Elaneth was just finishing her interlocking design. He stood next to the makeshift loom, gazing down at the pattern Elaneth had established, using bits and pieces of the damask that she had available to her and adding beautiful threads to the pattern to create an entirely original design.

"Elaneth! That is absolutely exquisite. It is almost too beautiful to be used in a place such as this...a simple roadside Inn." Alya laughed and pointed out that the effort he had made on restoring carving hundreds of year's old could be considered in much the same way. Calen sighed and then chuckled, agreeing with Alya's observation.

"And where is Randiron? Painting, you say. Shall we go see what it is he has been painting?" He and Alya, accompanied by Elaneth, wandered into the great front hall, only to stop short at what they beheld before them. Randiron, streaks of paint in his hair and covering his clothes, stood staring at his handiwork, chewing on the end of his small paint brush.

Well?" he asked diffidently, "Is it all right?"

The group was stunned by it's perfect rendition of a place they all knew and loved. Elaneth was the first to find her voice.

It's wonderful." Elenath breathed, almost reverently. "It looks exactly as I remembered it."

Calen simply stared for a moment, taking it all in. "Randiron, it is as though I were standing in that very courtyard, so alive and real is it. It is magnificent." He continued to gaze at it in wonder. "I knew you could paint but this is beyond simply painting. You have created a vison."

The group was chattering about this as the Rangers came into the room, all of them as overwhelmed as the elves, as even the Rangers had passed through Rivendell at one time or another on their travels and recognized it immediately. It was while they were all gazing at the wall mural and discussing it in small groups that Calen's head lifted and cocked to one side. He was listening to something beyond this room.

"Randiron, did you hear that?" he asked. "At first, I thought it a wolf's cry but the more I think of it's sound, I know it was not. It was the cry of a person.....a woman's cry, I think. I believe we should see exactly what or who it was," he said, already turning and heading for the door. Over his shoulder, he called out to the Rangers. "Are you coming? There is a woman in a desparate situation out there, if my ears are not betraying me." Needless to say, the Rangers stared at him and then looked at each other. The mortals had heard nothing but Calen had, and he was on his way to see exactly who it was that had cried out with such pain in her voice.
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: August 18, 2005 11:43
Mo waited for PB to finish eating before begining to discuss the forge in earnest. She had already scouted out most of the outbuildings and knew of one that she felt would please PB. When she had first found it she had thought to use it herself but now she hoped the Hobbit would find it to his liking. From its size Mo suspected that its previous owner had been a Dwarf.

Mo glanced nervously across the kitchen, there was no way to avoid passing the rangers, despite PB's assurances she still felt concerned that they might suddenly decide she was the cause of the awful events of the last few days. PB had just finished his tea when Mo noted that the rangers were in deep discussion with the Elf Calen, now was her chance.

"I have something to show you."

PB noted the determined look on Mo's face and rather curious followed her across the Kitchen. Mo managed to slip pass the Rangers and Calen, once outside she relaxed and the two friends fell into a gentle walk. Mo slowing her pace to allow PB to keep pace without straining his injured leg.

First she showed PB several large buildings, but before PB could express an opinion on any one of them Mo would excitedly move on until finally Mo stood before a small building close to the courtyard. Outside there were still two hitching posts and a large trough, as they entered the building Mo could barely contain her excitement, trying hard to allow PB to decide for himself but in the end she had all but said.'This is the one.'

It was a good choice for the stone floor was smooth and there was a large flag upon which the anvil would sit, around the walls were various hooks and a large bench stood on the right side. When PB agreed it was the best they had seen
Mo chuckled happily

"Right then, lets go get that anvil, and I'm thinking a certain donkey might help us to haul it. "

PB saw a slight waiver as Mo contemplated going to the barn, When he made move to accompany her she smiled gratefully, she was going to need a little more time to get her confidence back.

With Nog pulling, Mo pushing and PB moving log rollers the anvil was gradually moved to the new forge. Once it had been set in place Mo disappeared, she soon returned with an apple for Nog, two small mugs of what appeared to be ale, and a large pail.

Setting two large rounds of log as seats either side of the anvil she proceeded to empty the bucket between them, Then withdrawing two small hammers she handed one to PB.

"Well my friend lets see if a Dwarf and a Hobbit can beat a few of these nails straight and if we can perhaps we can send those fleet footed elves aloft and have them secure the roof."

'Clink'the hammer struck the bent nail straightening it, Mo smiled and tossed it into the bucket.

"You know PB ?. . ."

'Clink'

"For a Hobbit you are a long way from the Shire,"

Mo looked at PB and frowned

"Did something happen there that made you leave?"

'Clink, Clunk'

"Hmm dud one"

Mo tossed the offending nail into an old wooden box,

"Maybe we can melt em down to make new ones eh?"

"I mean you dont need to say if its private, but I just wondered what brought you here?"

'Clink'

'Clink'

[Edited on 18/8/2005 by Happy_Hobbit]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: August 19, 2005 12:13
Like all hobbits, PB was fond of discussing his parents, grandparents, cousins nieces nephews and further ancestors, but he was really hesitant about his own past.
He tried hard to avoid answering Mo's questions and kept sorting nails.
Finally, after a few fortifying gulps of ale, he spoke. "Well Mo, there's not a lot to say about my past. I was an only child and came rather late in my parents lives. We lived in Archet, and as ther weren't a lot of Hobbits in that town, I was on my own a lot. I took to wandering the Bree lands on my own in my spare time from my apprenticeship at my dad's smithy , and enjoyed finding new places. my parents died shortly after i came of age, and I left the Bree lands and headed to the Shire.'
".By the way, it was in the taverns in the Shire hat I gained my nickname. My real name is Peregrine Beregon Hairyfoot, but I preferred to be called PB. In the tavern a wiity oldser felt that PB actually stood for pot belly , and that name sort of stuck with me.'
'In Buclkland I found a lovely lady, and we married. My wife died of pneumonia in our third year together, and not wishing to stay there anymore ; I sold what possessions we had, and began wandering again. There has never been any problem finding work as there are always metel tools that need fixing so I mostly had an easy time of it.'
In the Dark Year, when Sharky's men came to the Shire, I was asked to make weapons for the big people that enforced his new rules, and was locked up when I refused.
'Upon my release I found that I was tired of wandering and needed to settle down. I moved back to the Bree lands, saved my earnings, and tried to decide where to settle down. I was at a loss as to where I wanted to settle, until one day in the Prancing Pony when I overheard a conversation between some elves and men. They were also looking for a place to settle down, and like me, were having trouble finding a place. I joined them and for a whilel we met regularly at the Pony and , amongst ales, dscussed where we'd like to settle.
One day we overheard a Ranger talking to Butterbur about the old Forsaken Inn, and that was when we decied that we'd reopen it and settle there..'
With that, PB downed the last of his ale, stood back up, and said;' Let's get back to work." he'd now told of his past, and he'd now need to see if he could get Mo to reciprocate.

They busied themselves setting the anvil in position and bringing PB's tools over from the Inn, and PB tried to think of a way to get Mo to tell of her past. They busied themselves with small talk about tool placement until finally, he gave up trying to think of a subtle approach and decided to be blunt. He turned to face her and calmy asked; 'Mo, what is your story? "

[Edited on 19/8/2005 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: August 23, 2005 02:22
The appreciative stares and comments over his painting bode well for what Randiron had planned for the other three walls, and he hoped they would be as well-received.

They would be - once completed, scenes from all four of the Races inhabiting Middle Earth: elven, human, hobbit, and dwarven. It was the latter the golden-haired ellon was most uneasy about, though... for he wanted very much for Mo to like it. Well... it would be the next one to be 'done', so he'd know soon enough...

Yet, it was Wolfsong's pleased kiss to his cheek that made the elf blush. But, to him, Randiron's daughter's approval meant more than anything else...
It was while they were all gazing at the wall mural and discussing it in small groups that Calen's head lifted and cocked to one side. He was listening to something beyond this room.

"Randiron, did you hear that?" he asked. "At first, I thought it a wolf's cry but the more I think of it's sound, I know it was not. It was the cry of a person.....a woman's cry, I think. I believe we should see exactly what or who it was," he said, already turning and heading for the door. Over his shoulder, he called out to the Rangers. "Are you coming? There is a woman in a desparate situation out there, if my ears are not betraying me." Needless to say, the Rangers stared at him and then looked at each other. The mortals had heard nothing but Calen had, and he was on his way to see exactly who it was that had cried out with such pain in her voice.

"They're not!" Randiron agreed, Calen's not the only elven-ears to hear the cry, "And I am!" he went on, and turned to his Drauglíriel. "We may need your skills, pen dithen!*" he told her, and was swiftly on Calen's heels.

Uncertain as to what they might find, he almost regretted not bringing a weapon of some sort - yet, the Rangers, as well as his daughter weren't far behind. The former, Randiron knew, would be armed - and that was good to know... in case it was needed.

"Have you spotted anything yet?" Randiron asked softly, coming up beside his friend...

*little one

[Edited on 24/8/2005 by gwendeth]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 23, 2005 09:29
Reycha lay in the muddy ditch, unmoving. The cry had taken the last strength she had. She had run out of tears that had left bright white tracks on her dirty cheeks.
The realization that her baby was not with her, and most probably will never be, had struck her heavily. Marim had been the reason she had put up with her life, the reason she had endured all the pain and humiliation. But that reason was now gone.
And she wanted to live no more. What for? There was no other person she held dear, or who she even knew, no on who would even remember her name.
The young woman exhaled slowly. She had not eaten for several days, and she didn't feel hungry anymore. So she just lay there, waiting for the death to come and take her where her parents were, and where she would meet Marim some day.

She didn't hear the elves approach. Even if she had, she would make no move. Her body lay still, her eyes open, staring into nowhere.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: August 27, 2005 08:23
Calen had run out into the rainy, chilly night, his ears listening for any further cry. Hearing nothing, he walked slowly down the side of the road, stopping now and then to perk his ears and to survey the area, his eyes searching through the misty drizzle surrounding the bushes, trees and ditches. He noticed that the water was rising rather quickly in these ditches and so his eyes searched more carefully, hoping whoever it was he had heard had not chosen this area as a safe haven. He knew others had followed him and this was confirmed when a voice behind his shoulder asked, "Have you spotted anything yet?" Without turning as his eyes were still probing the dark, he answered, "No, Randiron, I haven't. Yet I know it was a cry for help that I heard. Whoever it was is here, somewhere near." He took another few steps when he stopped, holding out his arm and waving his hand to stop those behind him from moving or speaking. Everyone stood silently while he cocked his head, listening....listening.

"There. There it is," he whispered. "I hear something...a rustling...no more." He began to run until he reached the edge of a deep ditch, almost invisible with the water-weighted branches hanging low to the ground and covering the rain filled crevass. Pushing the branches aside, he peered into the black water and saw only the shoulder and the head of a body, the rest buried beneath the mud and water.

"Randiron!! Here...here she is." He could see by the long hair, which was plastered over the fair cheek, and the ruffled edge of the bodice that clung to her shoulder that it was a mortal woman. How she managed to end up in a rain-filled ditch in the middle of the night was anyone's guess but that question could come later, if she was still alive. Right now, though, Calen knew they had to get her out of this hole and back to the Inn before they could determine what she might yet need. Reaching down, he grasped the upper part of her arm and lifted her head higher above the water level. Holding her there, he waited for Randiron to reach his side and give him a hand lifting her out of the water and the ditch entirely. She was weighted down by the heavy wet wool of the clothes she wore and it took both of them to bring her up and out of the ditch, where they lay her by the side of the road. Calen lowered his head to her face and heard ragged breathing, which assured him that she yet lived, but would not for long if they could not get her dry and warm.

He bent and placed an arm under her knees and one under her back, lifting her into his strong grasp. Smiling his thanks at Randiron and then the others, who were still standing helplessly, he spoke to the head Ranger. "Andurin, lead the way, man! We have a woman here who needs a warm fire, dry clothes and perhaps some of Draugliriel's care." The group made it's way back to the Inn.
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: August 28, 2005 01:16
As was the way with Hobbits. PB spoke long and with some pride of his forbears, and although Mo listened she found it hard to keep track of second cousins and great aunts twice removed.

When PB began to tell of his young life she listened intently, often her hammer half poised as she learned more of this genial Hobbit. When his story was finished they set about the forge with new purpose, Mo quietly pondering on what she had learnt. So deep were her thoughts that when PB asked about her past she was caught completely by surprise.

Flushing bright red she umm'd and ahhed for a few moments, then shrugged and setting the last of PB's tools on the bench turned to face him.

"Well PB . . ."

"I err . . . it's not very interesting . . . umm"

She looked at his expectant face and inwardly scolded herself for having asked PB about his past, naturally it followed he would then ask her, and now there was no avoiding it she would have to tell . . .

"Tell me PB Do Elves run out of inns for no apparent reason?"

Mo had seen both Calen and Randiron leaving the inn, a few seconds later the rangers followed.

"Come on PB . . . we may be needed also"

She grabbed PB's hand and led him away from the forge and away from her past.

By the time they had reached the others it was apparent that the Elf Calen was searching for something, tho what it was exactly Mo could not decide, as he carried no readied weapon, Mo decided that there was most likely no immediate danger and so turned to ask a nearby ranger what they were looking for.

He looked down frowning and for a moment Mo felt uneasy, but then he began to speak only to be silenced. It seems Calen was on to it . . . whatever it was.

Instinctively Mo gripped the small hammer she had earlier been using, PB was standing close beside her, she was glad he was there and she smiled reassured that no great ill would befall them this night.

It seemed they stood silent for a long time, Mo found it difficult not to fidget, she was cold and tired and her legs ached. She wanted to know what was happening, Were they in danger? Had Grosman returned?

Suddenly they were moving back to the Inn, the two Elves striding rapidly with the rangers following PB was hurrying after them leaving Mo standing alone in the dark . . .

She had been alone before, in the darkness, she had stood ears straining listening for the others. It had been raining steadily, but she had been told to wait and so obediently she stood waiting. She had wanted to call out, but fear held her tongue, who knew what horrors the darkness hid, silent then and alone until her body could no longer hold her upright. Waiting until her belly had long forgotten its hunger, though grey days, and dark nights filled with fear she waited. Still they did not come.

With a jolt Mo found herself back outside the inn, for a moment she stood confused and then shaking her head sadly made her way inside.

She was still unsettled and a little distracted when she caught sight of Randiron's masterpiece. She has never seen Rivendell before, but soon realised it was somewhere Elven,

"That figures."

She studdied it more closely now especially the trees and the shadows until at last she stood back and with hands on hips declared

"There's something missing here"

[Edited on 28/8/2005 by Happy_Hobbit]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: August 28, 2005 03:12
"Randiron!! Here...here she is." He could see by the long hair, which was plastered over the fair cheek, and the ruffled edge of the bodice that clung to her shoulder that it was a mortal woman. How she managed to end up in a rain-filled ditch in the middle of the night was anyone's guess but that question could come later, if she was still alive. Right now, though, Calen knew they had to get her out of this hole and back to the Inn before they could determine what she might yet need. Reaching down, he grasped the upper part of her arm and lifted her head higher above the water level. Holding her there, he waited for Randiron to reach his side and give him a hand lifting her out of the water and the ditch entirely. She was weighted down by the heavy wet wool of the clothes she wore and it took both of them to bring her up and out of the ditch, where they lay her by the side of the road. Calen lowered his head to her face and heard ragged breathing, which assured him that she yet lived, but would not for long if they could not get her dry and warm.

He bent and placed an arm under her knees and one under her back, lifting her into his strong grasp. Smiling his thanks at Randiron and then the others, who were still standing helplessly, he spoke to the head Ranger. "Andurin, lead the way, man! We have a woman here who needs a warm fire, dry clothes and perhaps some of Draugliriel's care."

Randiron shook his head sadly at the young woman, hoping it was yet not too late. "I'll run ahead," the elf stated, "I'm certain Drauglíriel has been preparing - but we'll need a room for the woman to stay in!"

With that, the golden-haired ellon swiftly returned to the Inn, catching Wolfsong on the point of leaving. "Daughter!" he called, and quickly explained the situation. In the time it took for the others to bring the injured back, Randiron and his only child quickly had a room readied.

Looking around it, the tall elf bit his lip. "I'm going to speak to Pb in the morning," he stated, "It wouldn't hurt for you to have a permanent Healing room. Or... perhaps one of the Outbuildings can be converted for you."

With a smile, and a touch to his daughter's cheek, they returned to the main room, and Randiron bid Calen to follow Wolfsong. "If you need help," he said, "just call me!" and watched her go off to ply her Healer's skills.

Randiron whirled in surprise and blinked at the Dwarf. 'Something missing'? What? He'd lived in Rivendell for many years... but, once again surveying his creation carefully, couldn't imagine what he might have missed.

"Please!" he asked her anxiously (someone finally having told both him and Wolfsong Mo was female), "Tell me - what have I missed?"

Randiron wasn't upset, or offended, but the tall ellon was very curious. - And, decided that he'd (perhaps) wish to have Mo check the sketches for the Dwarven wall before actually beginning the painting. It wouldn't 'do' for that one to be inacurate at all...
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: August 28, 2005 12:52
PB wasn't sure whether Mo was concerned about what the others were doing, or just happy to find a new esxcuse to avoid discussing her past. It was apparent that the healer's teas had done there job as PB felt no distress in his injured limb while he ran.
They arived in time to see the mud covered woman being carried back to the Inn from the small stream, really nothing but a muddy ditch in this season.
He followed them ,(he didn't really think that he could do much to help, but wanted to be ready just in case) and didn't notice that he'd left Mo behind.
" PB was taken aback. If the inn was to take on even part of the role the Rangers had suggested a healing room would be a good idea. He apparently liked the idea of getting more involeved with the health of travellers as he forgot whet he was doing previously and started cosidering a good location for such a room. In the rear of the first floor, besde the room he had chosen as his own , ther was an uclaimed room. It wasn't large, but could hold a patient or two. There was a also a private dining room behind the main room- perhaps that could be used in an emergency.
While he was considering rooms , he suddenly realized that he was alone. wher was Mo? he retraced his steps and found her admiriring the new painting done by Randiron . He heard her comment, and the stared at the picture, trying to figure just what was missing?>>>

[Edited on 28/8/2005 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2005 01:42
Elenath had decided to stay behind with Ayla this time as Calen and Randiron went after the source of the pained cries, and tried to turn her attention back to the cloth that was slowly taking shape under her hands.

But her fingers slipped, her hands refused to obey. The cries were chilling, in a way, terribly reminiscent of something Elenath had long consigned to the furthest, deepest darkest reaches of memory in the hope that they would never resurface. They sounded more like a wild animal, and yet she knew that the tragic sound was being made by a human being - a being in extreme distress. It had been a long time since she had ever heard such sorrow and misery, such hopelessness, communicated with such clarity.

A momentary reprise was offered when Mo entered.

With a jolt Mo found herself back outside the inn, for a moment she stood confused and then shaking her head sadly made her way inside.

She was still unsettled and a little distracted when she caught sight of Randiron's masterpiece. She has never seen Rivendell before, but soon realised it was somewhere Elven,

"That figures."

She studdied it more closely now especially the trees and the shadows until at last she stood back and with hands on hips declared

She looked up quizically from her work.

"Missing?" the elleth turned to the wall, puzzled. But Randiron had done it exactly as she remembered, and she had been in Rivendell not long ago. What could be wrong?

And then the cries began to die down, receding into strangled sobs, soft whimpers, and then... silence. Shaken, Elenath left her seat as she heard footsteps in the yard, and she ran to the door, throwing it open to find Randiron and Calen carrying a limp, muddy form towards them, followed by Wolfsong and PB. She held the door open for them as they entered.

"What happened?"
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2005 07:12
(ooc: hi everyone - back form the vaccation. Thanks for taking Alya along all the time! And sorry for the short first post - I think I'll have to ease my way back in...)

Alya saw Calen bring in the injured girl. A quick glance told her that Fea was playing contentedly on the floor. She went to Draugliriel and silently began helping her. Handing her little bits and pieces she needed. Alya was quick to learn and did not get in the way. She liked helping and one day she thought, maybe Draugliriel could teach her a little bit of healing.

The girl looked awful and Alya wondered if she would live at all. She clearly had a high fever and she was mubling incoherently. While Draugliriel examined her Alya held her head and tried to calm her. When nothing helped she began singing the song she always sang to Fea to help her sleep. Now that Nolarion had explained it's meaning and filled in the missing words she loved it even more. Finally the girl calmed down a little and seeing nothing more she could do, she went do Calen who took her into his arms.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2005 11:10
Reycha was unconscious. But she was seeing her son if front of her. Marim was slipping away from her! She tried to hold him, to keep him close, to keep him safe... The little boy was laughing, and kept floating away. Reycha's legs were tied, her arms heavy, and she just was too slow... She tried to call him, to make him listen, to turn around and come to her, but he just looked back at her and smiled.
A dark shadow appeared in the very corner of her vision. It frightened her. It will take Marim away!
Marim! No! Don't go there! Come back!
She struggled against the weeds that held her tight, she was drowning in a dark lake. Bitter water entered her mouth and she was made to swallow it. She tried to move her head, to lift it over the surface, but more weeds reached out for her and held her still. A warmth in her stomack began radiating rays all over her body. She stipped struggling, only her arms and legs were twitching time after time. Then she just let herself sink in the water. The liquid became warmer and softer, and it was not frightening anymore. The weeds let go, and Reycha let herself drift away...
In the Realm of Ulmo
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: August 31, 2005 07:38
Calen had placed the unconcious woman on the old settle next to the fireplace and immediately backed away to give Draugliriel space to work. Alya joined the healer at her side and assisted in small ways...handing Wolfie various phials and herbs. Calen noticed that she was becoming quite knowledgeable in the healing ways and was proud of her. His mind drifted back to when she had first entered the Inn....frightened, shy, hesitant and at a total loss as to how to deal with her crying infant. She had come so far in the time spent here. She was now the little organizer of them all. His thoughts made him smile and he looked at her busily assisting the healer.

She held the woman's head as she poured some warm broth with a mild sedative added little by little into her throat. The woman fought, turning her face from one side to the other, trying to avoid the warming liquid as though she was being drowned. Her arms and legs flailed against the work of Draugliriel and Alya until the broth began to take affect and she fell into a quiet sleep. While the healer and Alya took time to clear up the various herbs and bandages, Calen heated some warm cider and poured it into two cups, telling both of them to sit at the table and have a soothing drink and rest. He stood behind Alya and placed his hands on her shoulders, bending down to kiss the top of her head.

"Thank you, my dear....and you as well, Draugliriel. This woman would not have survived without your tender care. For now, just rest."

Calen wandered off to find Randiron and heard Mo's comment. His head turned to stare at the painting, trying to find what it was that Mo was seeing....or not seeing, as it seemed to be. But nothing seemed out of place. Turning to Mo, he asked the obvious question.

"Mo, what is it you are not seeing that should be there?"
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: September 02, 2005 10:05
"Mo, what is it you are not seeing that should be there?"

Mo scowled and glanced back at the painting, scanning IT once more as if expecting to see what was obviously not there, after a moment she announced

"The eyes."

Randiron looked first startled and then confuse,

"Eyes?"

Mo checked again,

"Yes"

Randiron seemed thoughtful for a moment glancing to the others then with a slight shrug back to Mo

"I don't un . . ."

Mo took a step towards the tall Elf, her face a little redder and her blue eyes blazing

"Don't try to pretend . . ." She accused wagging her finger at him,

"We both know that they should be there. Why anyone who had cause to go to an Even Realm would know . . ."

A thought suddenly occurred to Mo, maybe Elves would not be aware of them, after all she reasoned, they would be welcomed into the Elven Realm. Unlike her, they would be able to come and go as they liked.

She stood back and again her attention was upon the painting,

"They are always there, tho their clothing conspires to hide them, they lurk in shadow and in high places and always they watch."

Mo shuddered and her face paled,

Randiron stepped forward and took her hand patting it gently.

"There are no dark forces in Rivendell Mo."

Mo had been comforted by Randiron's concern but now suddenly she was agitated once more

"Dark Forces, d a r k forces who said anything about them, I'm not talking about they, I am talking about the eyes . . . the watchers, the ummm . . ."

She glanced around the room desperately trying to remember the correct name.

"Oh what is it now . . . Ma ma Marshsomethings . . .err"

"Carlen's eyes twinkled

"March-wardens . . . she means March-wardens Randiron."

"Thats they, those err them . . . but you have missed them"

Mo eyed the Elves, Yes she thought, I know about them . . .
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2005 03:56
The newcomer safely under Wolfsong’s care, Elenath listened to Mo’s stammered explanations with much puzzlement, then amusement once Calen figured out she had been talking about March-wardens, and not evil eyes in woods. But what would have made the dwarf think Rivendell should have March-wardens? Or what would have made her so suspicious of the elves? She shrugged it off – probably Mo had been to Mirkwood or Lorien. It was just like Thranduil to station border guards, though she hadn’t been to see him since his father took up kingship of Mirkwood. Her experiences with Oropher in the First Age had been enough to put her off that particular family, and all of them seemed to have some long-standing grudge against anything that wasn’t an elf, with the possible exception of Thranduil’s son Legolas, or so she heard, who had made friends with a dwarf. Lorien… Lorien was well-known for its porcupine-like tendencies.

“But Mo,” she reasoned quietly. “Rivendell has no March-wardens. At least, not the sort who hide in trees and… lurk in shadow and follow you around. Rivendell has never had any need for them – after all, it has always been the most open of all the Elven homes. They conduct regular patrols, and station border guards here and there, but always in plain view.”
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email