Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First45678Last >>
Author Topic:
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
Post RE: The Forsaken Inn- Under New Management.(open to anyone-anytime)
on: September 02, 2005 06:06
Randiron shook his head in disbelief. March-Wardens? In Rivendell?? How... and why..., and then Elenath quietly spoke.
“But Mo,” she reasoned quietly. “Rivendell has no March-wardens. At least, not the sort who hide in trees and… lurk in shadow and follow you around. Rivendell has never had any need for them – after all, it has always been the most open of all the Elven homes. They conduct regular patrols, and station border guards here and there, but always in plain view.”

Nodding in agreement, Randiron knelt in front of the Dwarf to be on eye-level with her - never breaking his eye-contact. "Elenath is right," he said gently. "Rivendell has been 'home' for me for nearly a thousand years, Mo... or, at least, the place I returned to most often for that time," the golden-haired elf went on, "so I know it is Truth."

Pausing, the ellon tilted his head slightly in question, and there was an expression of sorrow in his fair face. "One day, I hope you'll be comfortable enough with we elves who are here at the Forsaken Inn, to share why you mistrust us so... but it saddens me that whatever happened to you is carried to all our race."

Hoping that all Mo would need is 'time' for that to happen, Randiron rose. "Tomorrow," he told the Dwarf, "I will paint the front wall, Mo," and he nodded to the entrance of the Inn. "That is the 'Dwarven' wall - with my remembrances of visits to various of your people's Realms. If you wish - I would be honored if you'd check my sketches, and tell me if I've done them 'correctly' before I begin..."
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2005 10:13
Silently Alya sat down and took Fae into her arms. She looked at her daughter and smiled. Fae, who by now could distinguish faces smiled back and experimented with some happy sounds.

Alya looked around. The inn had changed quite a bit since she came here - the best decision in the world - it was not perfect yet, but it was clean and everyone could see the state of repairs. Soon, it would be a real home. A home with friends, with her brother and her daughter and with Calen. She smiled at the thought of Calen and all her love shone through her eyes.

At that moment Nolarion came into the room, spotted his sister and sat down next to her. "You look exactly like our mother used to look with you in her arms." he said, smiling. "Do I?" Alya looked at him disbelieving. She was still unsure about all this luck, about finding out who she was. "What was she like?" she finally asked. "She was kind, but also daring and strong." Nolarion began. "She always had a head of her own and I guess many have called her stubborn. She married our father despite everyone telling her not to do so. Her family was some kind of nobility, I don't know much about them - and our father was a simple soldier. After they had married none of her family would speak to her or us and she never spoke to or of them. She never mentioned regretting the step she took. I remember a very nice childhood. Father was away often, but I was never lonely - Mom had a thousand activities for me - and not only things like reading. And then one day they told me proudly that you would come. She was always proud to have a girl. She loved to hold you and cradle you. You were a good girl - hardly cried. Just like your little one here."
Affectionately he took his nice up and bounced her on his knees.
Alya seized the opportunity to look after the strange girl. She went over to where she was lying, sleeping peacefully now. She checked the coverings and put a fresh wet cloth on her hot forehead.
Then she went back to Nolarion. "Well, this little miss has to go to bed now." She took Fae up, who only protested slightly and went upstairs, where she sat down with Fae and sang the song to her that her mother had sung to her. Nolarion's stories had helped to trigger her memory - she could now see a clear face before her inner eye when she thought of her mother and she always thought of her while singing this song.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: September 07, 2005 12:43
"I'm getting confused"; PB said to himself. The inn was taking shape nicely but his new friends and their relationships were starting to make make him dizzy. it seemed that many of the inhabiatnts were related or had mutual friends intheir pasts.
_______________----
He didn't have clue what Mo was referring to when she mentioned eyes, but he'd never been to any of the Elvish lands to see what she had been talking about. One day he'd have to travel to Rivendel, or even better to the Elvish Kigndom in Mirkwood, and see for himself.
It looked like the others had the newly found person in good hands, and he was sure that the healer would do a fine job of returning this one to health, after all she had done a great job with his injury. He'd leave them to their work , and now that he ws feeling better, he'd start doing some work of his own.
He had a furnace, and he'd found a supply of coal in one of the sheds but he'd need a bellows if he wanted to do any work with iron. Working with some scrap wood, and an old deerskin found hanging in one of the sheds, he manged to put together an adequate , if not very tidy looking, bellows.
After that, he naturally felt hungry , so he headed to the kitchen foir a meal, and a bit of Mo's ale.

[Edited on 8/9/2005 by PotbellyHairyfoot]

[Edited on 8/9/2005 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: September 09, 2005 10:11
Mo had expected the Elf to be angry at her when she had suggested something was missing from his painting. It amazed her that Randiron not only remained calm he actually seemed genuinely concerned that Mo found Elven company so difficult.

She was growing to admire this blond Elf, he was quiet and gentle and polite and he never stood over her instead lowering himself to look at her squarely in the face.

She noted with some relief that his eyes held her gaze, she would trust him, for she could find no reason not to. When he asked for her opinion of his Dwarven sketches she agreed to look at them and so for quite some time she sat pouring over various images.

Most she glanced at briefly but two she set to one side, now and then she would mutter something in her own tongue whilst Randiron waited for her opinion. She was looking through them again when it occurred to her that there was something not quite right. She sat puzzling on what it might be. When PB returned from outside, he had obviously been working for his face was now dirty, in his hair an odd strand of grass had become entangled and his clothes were muddied and crumpled.

Mo grinned as she watched him first go to the sink to wash his hands and then help himself to a plate of food. She slipped from her seat and gathering three mugs filled them with ale.

PB joined them back at the table

"Well Mo, are they as they should be?"

PB nodded towards the sketches. Mo was about to say no when it occurred to her what was wrong,

"They are far too clean for Dwarves. No self respecting Dwarf would be seen without the dust of rock upon his hands and clothes. "

Mo then took the two she had previously set aside, carefully she unfolded the first, It was of a single Dwarf, well attired in fine robes beneath which a bright chest plate shone, In his hands he held a mighty hammer, upon hid feet strong boots. His beard was tightly plaited and around his neck a silver chain hung.

Mo seemed transfixed, her fingers gently tracing the outline of the strong Dwarven face.

"Durin"

There was no mistaking him, though her memory of him was of a much thinner figure who's gaunt face had grown pale and whose eyes bore witness to their dire plight. He had worn the same breast plate though it had become ill fitting and indeed seemed so heavy it was a burden to the once great King of Moria.

Mo bowed her head, unable to stop a sudden rush of tears as memories of those terrible days flooded back. She searched frantically in her pocket before retrieving a dirty piece of cloth. Blowing her nose loudly she took one last look at the picture before folding in half. For a few moments she sat silent occasionally taking a gulp of ale.

"So Durin, you have drawn him well."

"Wait here I have something that might help."

With that Mo headed out of the kitchen, PB guessed she was heading to the cellar rooms. It took her a little while to find what she had been looking for and when she returned PB had started a second plate. Mo grabbed a plate and some bread and came back to where PB and Randiron sat.

Setting the food upon the table she reached behind her removing a leather bound tome which she had tucked into her belt. As she set it upon the table it was obvious that this was something of great importance for the cover of the book was made of the most exquisite leather, tooled with infinite detail and inlaid with what appeared to be gemstones and Mithril.

Mo carefully unlocked the silver clasp and with great reverence handed the book to Randiron.

BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: September 12, 2005 08:39
Calen listened to the interchange between the other elves and Mo until PB came in the back door, washing his hands and grabbing a plate of food. He smiled at the lessening of tension between Mo and the rest of the group, particulary his people, the Elves. He wandered out into the hall again, looking at Randiron's painting and recalling the long days of the past and his many visits to Imladris. From there, he went to the front door, opening it wide and allowing the cool night air to blow through. He had checked the woman found in the ditch earlier and saw that she was sleeping quietly. The care of the healer and the sedative that had been given to her was working well. Now all they had to do was wait for her to waken to find out who she was, where she had come from and how she had ended up in a pool of water on such a dark and rainy night.

As he stood by the door, he heard Alya, carrying a whimpering Fea, up the stairs behind him. Then Mo dashed through the hallway and down into the basement, returning a bit later carrying what looked like a book. He wondered what that was about but was too lost in his own thoughts to turn and follow her. He glanced back at the mural on the wall, his mind traveling back across the ages to his lost life...his mother, father, brother and lover Marianel, gone forever to the halls of Mandos. When his time came, he would join them there. But his time was not now! He had found new life in Alya and Fea, a new brother perhaps in Noldarion, and a new family here at the Forsaken Inn. No, his time was not now. In fact, he decided, what was part of his time was....a joining celebration....a wedding it was called in the common tongue. Why not? Alya's brother was here to give her away, the people who surrounded the two of them were the closest he had become to any group of people in an age. Full of joy and happiness at his idea, he turned and ran lightly up the stairs to the room he shared with Alya. Laughing to himself, he realized that if she accepted his idea, they would no longer have to hang drapes across the room to separate them from one another.

As he reached the top of the stairs, he heard her voice, singing softly to the infant, singing the old Elvish lullabye. He stood and listened until she was finished, tears in his eyes which were a mixture of his sorrow and his joy. Quietly, he walked to the door, opening it and peeking in. Alya lay on her bed, Fea asleep in the crook of her arm. Alya's eyes met his and he smiled, his heart full of his love for her. Walking across the room, he sat on the bed next to her, taking her free hand in his.

"My love, I have come to ask you something." He hesitated, wondering for a moment if his question was timely. Did she really care about this aged elf as he cared for her? Would she laugh at his love for her? He looked down into her eyes, seeing only the question in them as to what he could possibly want to ask her. His hand gripped hers a little tighter as he called upon his courage. He had not felt this fear in the midst of battles.

"Alya, would you join your life with mine forever? Would you become my wife and bear our children?" He waited for her answer with bated breath, knowing his entire future depended on her answer.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2005 02:32
"Alya, would you join your life with mine forever? Would you become my wife and bear our children?"

The question came as a surprise to Alya and she had to take a second to get herself to believe that this was not just the daydream she had been having for a while. She knew she loved Calen - she had loved him from the time she first set eyes on him, but she had never thought he felt the same for her. She knew that he had confessed his love, however, she had been sure that this was nothing long term for him.

The look on her face turned from surprise to understanding and into a beautiful smile. Carefully, she withdrew her arm from the sleeping Fea and got off the bed to properly face Calen. She smiled at him, taking in every detail of his face.
She put her hand to his face and caressed it. Then she said, amidst tears of joy that glittered in the corner of her eyes, "Yes, yes I do - I always wanted to - I love you! You are my life - you and Fe..."
Before she could finish Calen had swept her up into a passionate embrace and kissed her with the same passion.

[Edited on 16/9/2005 by Liswen]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 15, 2005 05:00
Anxiously, Randiron had watched Mo go through his drawings, and was inwardly 'gratified' when she recognized it was Durin's portrait he'd done.
"So Durin, you have drawn him well."

"Wait here I have something that might help."

With that Mo headed out of the kitchen, PB guessed she was heading to the cellar rooms. It took her a little while to find what she had been looking for and when she returned PB had started a second plate. Mo grabbed a plate and some bread and came back to where PB and Randiron sat.

Setting the food upon the table she reached behind her removing a leather bound tome which she had tucked into her belt. As she set it upon the table it was obvious that this was something of great importance for the cover of the book was made of the most exquisite leather, tooled with infinite detail and inlaid with what appeared to be gemstones and Mithril.

Mo carefully unlocked the silver clasp and with great reverence handed the book to Randiron

Solemnly, and though he was still seated, Randiron gave Mo a bow as he received the book. For a few minutes, the elf turned the volume over in his hands, awed at the fine craftsmanship that had gone into the making of it. Then, and even though Mo had unlocked it for him, Randiron glanced at the Dwarf for permission, and cautiously opened it.

Carefully, and though he couldn't read the writing within, the blond-haired ellon ran his eyes over the pages. The drawings were exquisite, and after turning over four or five, Randiron realized he'd been holding his breath, and slowly let it out. 'Lost' in perusing Mo's book, he forgot about PB... never noticed that Calen had left the room... or looked up at any movement within the room.

Meeting the she-Dwarf's eyes again, the elf nodded. "Such as this, is a treasure of your People, Mo," he said softly, when he came to the 'end', and then turned back to a drawing that had (in particular) 'caught' his attention.

It was a scene depicting one of the aspects of Dwarven-life: mining. The 'details', to the Artist's practiced eye, seemed to 'leap' out of the page at him. Almost, the ellon could 'hear' the sounds of their hammers... and 'smell' the dust clouds being raised by the Dwarf's industriousness. The drawing was - in his view... 'perfect'.

"If I may," Randiron asked her (and quite 'tentatively'), and pointed to it. "I'd like to paint this - instead of what I'd been planning. All the world should see what gifts Dwarves have given to Middle Earth. If, that is, you think I can do it 'justice'. Would you mind?"
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 17, 2005 08:06
As he released Alya, his expression suddenly became troubled. Stroking her cheek, he stared into her tear filled eyes.

"Are you certain of this, Alya? Think. I was born in the First Age. I am much older than you are. You are but a young ellath, with centuries ahead of you. And though you will never find one who will love you more than I do, you may wish for a younger ellon in time." His eyes questioned hers and found his answer. There would never be another for either of them. Though there was certainly an age gap, as all elves do, they had both found the one mate each wanted. He swung her up in his arms, twirling her around the room until they were both dizzy. Setting her on her feet, his laughter filled the room.

" We must go and tell the others...at once. Leave Fea. She is sleeping so soundly and will hardly move for a while." They stacked pillows on either side of the infant so she would not roll off the bed and left the room, holding each other's hands. As they made for the stairs, Calen was bubbling over with more chatter than anyone who knew him would be accustomed to from such a quiet elf.

"Think, Alya. We will be able to christen this inn with a happy event. That should bring it great good fortune. And to be surrounded by friends and family. How much more wonderful will that make our vows? All shall be blessed by this event. Ahhh, Alya, you have no idea how long I have waited for you. Well, yes, I guess you do. At least two ages." He grinned at his own foolishness as they reached the bottom of the stairs.

Standing in the center hallway, the soft spoken elf nearly bellowed to all in the inn. "Come, my friends, I have news!!" As the other inhabitants gathered around, Calen wrapped his arm around Alya's slender shoulders, beaming at the assembled group.

"Alya has agreed to become my lifemate. We will speak our vows to each other here, at the Inn, and we want a celebration the likes of which have not been seen in an age. It has become rare for the elf kind to find a life mate in this age and thus it is worth a celebration." His voice softened as he looked at everyone. "All of you are invited....in fact, I would not wish to do this without you here with us. You have become our friends and family." Then, the gleefulness of his heart overtook him. "One week from now, Alya and I will be one with each other." He bent and kissed his bride-to-be with all the passion of his soul, much to the amazement of those assembled, who imagined Calen to be a lone elf, quiet, withdrawn and with emotions always in check. Everyone found themselves smiling and cheering with him and Alya.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: September 18, 2005 02:14
While eating his second helping, PB watched Randiron looking through Mo's book. There were illustrations of many Dwarves, mostly showing them at work and play in various magnificently decoated caverns. This nbook must be ancient as it seemed to show much of what Moria looked like, before the release of Durin's Bane Many of the dwarves in these scens were wearing helms and corselets of Mithril.. Following the Moria scenes were some of smaller caverns, less opulently decorated, but with much wealth seemimgly heaped on shelves. this may have been the dwarvish homes and mines in the Grey Mountains, before the Dragons found the wealth and chased the Dwarves away. In these pictures the dwarves wore a great deal of gold. the next set must have been of Dwarves in the Iron Mountains, for in this series they wore much less jewelery and precious metal, using practical iron instead.
It was then that he heard the commotion; Calen and Alya were to marry!! He addressed Randiron; " Good sir, I know little of the customs of Elves as far as marriage, for I understand that there have been few during the latter years of the Third Age. Is there any type of ceremony, and will we give or receive gifts, as is the custon in Bree and the Shire? "
Randiron exlainedt hat the couple would probably Marry under elvish customs, which could include anything from huge affarirs , or a simple exchange of vows, depending on the times and the coiuple.. He was pretty sure that the Inn would be prepared for a fancy ceremony, and that PB, and Mo also, could follow the customs of their own people as far as the giving of gifts.
With Mo's permission, Randiron left with the Dwarvish book, to study it further before starting any new painting, promising to keep it very safe, for it was a very precious veloume, of more value for its content, than its weight in Gold or Mithril.
Pb was now finished his meal, but he asked Mo to stay and join him for an ale , as they had matters to discuss. Mo took on a worried expression, for ther was still much about her past that she was reluctant to discuss, but she was relieved when PB returned with the ale, and began discussin g the upcoming wedding. over a few more mugs of ale
" I have an an idea for you to consider, Mo; he stated,; "You and I are currently the only representative of our peoples staying here at the Forsaken Inn. I think it might be fun if you and I worked together on a gift for the happy couple. I cannot rival the smiths of the Dwraves or te Elves , as to the making of jewellery or adornments, but Hobbits often make gifts to a new,ly married couple, of more practical things."
He tried to have Mo explin dwarvish customs, but she stated that she knew little of them , as her family was on its own , on a journey to join Balin's peple in Moria when she was orphaned. From what she could emembem she understood that Dwarvish marriages were rare, as some females took a great deal of interest in their work, and were reluctant to marry, and that many others fell for a male who didn't return the interest, and refused to find another."
Mo quickly moved the conversation back on track, so as to avoid any further discussions of her past, to that a suitable gift for the couple. They finaly agreed on a set of pewter stemware, cast by Pb and decorated by the two of them with semi precious stones. Mo explained that she had a talent for the mining of such stones, and she already had several of them stored away her rooms.
By this time, the two of them had had several mugs of ale, and bothwere starting to feel the ffects.
"You know PB, as the only non-elfs or men at this Inn, we should stick together. You are my first friend, and I'd like to take you down to my rooms for there is something I'd like to share with you."
PB wsn't sure how to take this but he didn't know how to back down. He stood up , to make his excuses and head off to his room for the night, But she immeditaely stod beside him and put her arm around around his waist. " Come to my room mister Hobbbit, she said, "There is something I need for you to see, something I need to show you, somethng I'd like for us to do together."
PB turned beet red when the implications of thatlast statement sank in, but he felt trapp by the strong grip of the Dwarf, and he reluctantly accompanied her down that stairs and towards her rooms. Both of them had a bit too much ale in their systems, but not so much that the poor Hobbit wasn't aware of the implications of where he was going. He wasn't sure that he'd be able to stagger back up the stairs on his own, but he was sure going to try to , as soon as she released her grip..
But Mo never let loose her grip on the poor hobbit's waist. She opened her door, brought him over to the bed, and then puled down the cover with her free hand. 'There Mr. Hairyfoot;" she stated; "What do you think of that?"
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2005 01:08
[OOC: SCANDAL! *coughMochokePBsplutter*]

"Congratulations." Elenath smiled at Ayla, then at Calen, then offered, "I can arrange the decorations. But then they would probably be in the older style of Beleriand, because that is the one I'm most familiar with."

PB and Mo were already talking about gifts for the new couple, but Elenath had quite a shrewd idea what she would be doing. Ayla would need a wedding gown, and there were plenty of other things needed for a wedding that involved stitchcraft. With that, she left and went upstairs to the room she had come to think of as hers. She had woven a good few yards of white ecru linen - plain but servicable material, and she did have a large collection of beading and trimming and embriodery thread. Closing the door and barring it, Elenath set to work.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 07:27
Alya smiled with pure happiness. She stood and accepted congratulations and well wishes. There was nothing else in the world she could want. She had found a family!

Slowly Nolarion edged forward and put a hand on his sister's shoulder. "Happy?" he whispered in her ear. When she nodded he continued "Then I'll be more than happy to give you away - our father would be proud and mom would probably cry with joy. Calen is a good man." He winked and then drew back to let others through who wanted to congratulate the couple.

Later that evening, Alya went up the their room to check on Fea. She started thinking about the events, picturing the life with Calen - when it suddenly came to her. They would share a bed - they would not have the drapings anymore. He would want to....
Sudden terror gripped her. She did want to spend a lifetime with him, she did want to have his children, she loved him, but what it took to get them seemed impossible for her. Everytime she thought about it she felt nauseated - her thoughts went back to the time she was not free to voice her will. She had never known anything but force - even when Fea had been conceived it had not been voluntarily.
Deep inside her, she knew she had to talk to Calen about it, she was sure he would understand. And yet, when he came up to go to bed, she could not utter a word.
That night she did not sleep, for fear of the dreams which might come and for fear of the future - how could she be so happy and so afraid at the same time.
She had no answer for that.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 10:44
(OOC: I hope you don't mind, Liswen, my using Noldarion. He does sort of belong to both of us anyway. *grins*)

The happy couple sat with their friends chatting about the upcoming wedding and what plans were needed to make the day the very best for the two of them. It was joyful conversation yet when Calen glanced at Alya, he noticed how she was tiring. Leaning over, he whispered in her ear, "Meldanya, why not excuse yourself to go see after Fea and then just stay there. Rest. It has been a busy day. I will come up in a while. I wish to speak with Noldarion first." As all had been cheered by the wine from the cellar, they barely noticed when Alya left. Calen watched her leave, not wanting to lose even a single sight of her before she climbed the stairs. Sighing with happiness, he turned to Noldarion.

"My brother, for that is what you will become, I have failed in one thing only.....I should have approached you first and asked for your sister's hand formally. It was a spontaneous moment for me and I regret not having planned it properly. For this I do apologize and ask your forgiveness. I give you now the time to speak. Do you have any concerns about our upcoming wedding? Surely, you can doubt not my love for Alya but is there anything else you would have me know...now?

The two spoke quietly with each other, Noldarion telling Calen some of the rumors of Alya's past as he had heard of them while tracking for any members of his family. "Calen, if any of these rumors are true, I fear for you both. Though I can see she loves you now, there may be ... problems once you are wed. There is the matter of true joining to consider. She may resist that. I cannot say more than that. You will have to have great patience with her...and gentleness. However, I meet you now but I have heard your name in many eldar places. You are beloved among the eldar. Your honored diplomacy, your braveness and yet your kindness is recognized through the ages. I have no doubts that you will be good for my sister, particularly as I can see the love in your eyes when they follow her. I do not mean to interfere, only to help both of you. I would like my sister to be happy."

Calen's head had been lowered through most of Noldarion's remarks. He had rarely thought of Alya's past, where she had come from, how she had lived her life. He thought of Fea for the first time, wondering how an ellath could have endured giving birth to a child unless that child had been born of love. If Fea hadn't been born of those circumstances, how had she been conceived? As an elf, he had known when he found his soulmate, never questioned her past. Most elves had impeccable pasts so there was really nothing to ask. But now he began to wonder. His head lifted and his eyes met Noldarion's. They stared into each other's souls for a long moment and then Calen spoke for the first time.

"Noldarion, I love your sister beyond the ends of the earth and if it take that long, I will do whatever she needs to heal her wounds. I beg that you trust me with her care as she is the only thing I do care about." Reaching out his hand, he laid it on Noldarion's shoulder. "Thank you, my brother. You are a brother above reproach." Standing, he looked down at Alya's brother and said, "I will excuse myself, if you don't mind. I have much to think about this night." Nodding his head, he left Noldarion's side and slowly climbed the stairs to ... his part of the room. He could hear beyond the draperies a small whimper from Fea, then silence. He could not hear Alya's breathing as he always did and wondered if she was there. Pulling back the curtains, he peeked in to see Alya, lying on her bed. Even in the dark, he could see her eyes were wide open, that she was not at rest.

"Alya. My love. Perhaps there are things we need to talk about." Sitting down on the edge of her bed, his eyes met hers in the dark. He picked up her hand, holding it close to his beating heart. Making a small joke to ease the way, he smiled slightly and said, "Methinks you have other worries about our union beyond the fact of my ancient age." Seriousness flowing back into his eyes, he bent his head and brought her fingers to his lips. "Tell me, my love, what fears do you carry into this union? And how can I help make them fly from your heart and mind?"
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 01:40
(ooc: of course I don't mind bereth - he does belong to both of us and anytime you need to take over - just do so - no need to ask... )

"Alya. My love. Perhaps there are things we need to talk about." Sitting down on the edge of her bed, his eyes met hers in the dark. He picked up her hand, holding it close to his beating heart. Making a small joke to ease the way, he smiled slightly and said, "Methinks you have other worries about our union beyond the fact of my ancient age." Seriousness flowing back into his eyes, he bent his head and brought her fingers to his lips. "Tell me, my love, what fears do you carry into this union? And how can I help make them fly from your heart and mind?"

Alya swallowed hard. She had not expected this – not expected to be confronted – not expected to ever have to talk about what happened. How could she talk about the unspeakable? How could she put the pure terror of her past into words… She had put everything – everything concerning the time before she came to the inn – into a far corner of her mind, closed even to her own consciousness. Yet, resent events had brought it back to the surface and right now, the terror was so near… but speaking of it would make it real, would make it part of her again – she did not want to disappoint Calen. She knew he only meant well and when she looked into his eyes, she tried to muster up the courage to finally tell her story.

“Do you know,” she finally began, speaking slowly – forcing the words out into the open, even though they did not come easily, ”what it means not to be free? Not to own your own body? Not to know how it feels to be loved? Then and only then do you know what my past life was like and what fears I have. I do not know how to be together with someone I love. Up to this point in my life I never counted – everything was always against my will…” she had to stop here. The pain that kept on coming ever since she started speaking was almost too great to bear – but now she had to tell everything – she needed Calen. She loved him and above all she wanted this union be untainted by her past.

“Later,” she continued, “when I had finally managed to flee my bondage – I had to eat, to survive and I detested everything I had to do. Stealing was the least of the offences I committed. Sometimes I was forced to sell my body – to survive. But again some took without asking – and one day I realized I was pregnant with Fea. Until I came to the inn I did not even have time to think about the circumstances of her birth. I saw you with her and I saw her innocence and I knew my love for her was not wrong, despite everything that had happened.”

Again she stopped and glanced at her sleeping daughter. Tears had begun to run silently down her face. “I don’t even know who your father was, little one, or what race he belonged to. I just know that after those dreadful hours alone in the woods, I held you in my arms - and I was alone no more.” She half whispered to Fea, forgetting Calen's presence for a moment.

Then she turned back to Calen. Looking into his eyes again she said, “If, after all, you decided not to spend your life with me, I understand. I am not sure if I can fulfill all the duties of a true lifemate – I…I,” sobbing now she forced herself to calm down a bit and go on, “I love you so much and I want to bear your children and make you happy but I don’t know if I can …I'm very scared that ....” She could not go on. Turning away, she hid her face in her hands and let the tears flow freely – tears she had not dared to shed before.
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 08:31
Randiron's reverence at receiving the tome meant much to the small dwarf, here, she thought, is one who understands and respects the Dwarven people. It was not long before she was enthusiastically talking sometimes explaining and other times recounting things she had been told as a child. Time passed unheeded, counted not in time but in mugs of ale.

he did not ask her about the writing which was fortunate as Mo could not read, she had never had the chance to learn and so far she had managed adequately enough.

"Such as this, is a treasure of your People, Mo,"

She nodded happily, and when at last he chose the scene he wished to use for the wall she smiled, it was one of her personal favorites.

"All the world should see what gifts Dwarves have given to Middle Earth. If, that is, you think I can do it 'justice'. Would you mind?"

"Indeed I think you will do a most splendid job." she enthused.

Mo had just returned her attention to the one drawing that she had set aside, however she had no time to ask questions before their attention was drawn to another matter.

"Come, my friends, I have news!!"

A group formed to listen to the tall Elf announcement

"Alya has agreed to become my lifemate."

There was much celebration at the announcement, Mo tried to feel happy for the two elves. She wanted to be a part of this but in her heart a long felt sadness burned, she felt again the pain of her loneliness.

She turned her attention to the drawing Randiron saw her saddened face and with some concern he reached out to take the folded drawing

"I am sorry Mo, I had come across them unexpectedly and it was a particular delight to draw them whilst they were unaware. I did not mean any disrespect, almost all of the drawings I have of Dwarves are posed, here is something special something you cannot find in a . . . I did not mean to upset you,"

Randiron's voice trailed off, Mo was obviously distressed, he would explain another time.

She reached for the drawing and for one brief moment he thought she might destroy it such was the look of pain in her face.

"upset? . . noooo its . . ."

She carefully opened the paper gently smoothing it flat her eyes scanning its every detail,

"Its . . ." she took a deep breath and swallowed hard fighting to keep her emotions in check. Her eyes were beginning to water, a tear trickled down her cheek.

She wiped it away fiercely sniffing loudly.

"I don't think I ever saw her looking so happy." she said as her finger traced the face of one of the Dwarves.

She then pointed to another, my Grandmother, she was always one for a celebration, she was a fine cook you know, she would insist she be allowed to attend formal occasions just in case there were need of . . . but she would have been here in any case you couldn't keep a mother from her daughters wedding.

Randiron was trying to control his emotions, a mixture of surprise and excitement and concern mixed with disbelief.

He had not seen it before, not realized that there were females among the group he had drawn., As Mo pointed to them it seemed so obvious. Here in his own hand was the same facial features the same body structure as Mo. he looked again at the young Dwarf Mo had first recognized, she was exactly like Mo if perhaps a little older. Beside her a young male stood and now he notice for the first time they were wearing matching rings.

"These are your family Mo?"

"Yes they are my parents."

Mo could say nothing more, she wanted to ask if she could have the drawing, she wished it with all her heart. She dared not ask, afraid Randiron would refuse her.

"Perhaps" she thought "There will come a time when I will have earned the right to ask"

It would begin with the lending of her book . . .

" I have an an idea for you to consider, Mo; he stated,; "You and I are currently the only representative of our peoples staying here at the Forsaken Inn. I think it might be fun if you and I worked together on a gift for the happy couple."

As the evening wore on the ideas began to take shape, eventually they decided on two goblets decorated with semi precious gemstones. Helped by the ale Mo began to relax. Their conversation flowed easily between them much like a river babbling with excitement then slower and more thoughtful and all the while Mo was waiting for the right moment,

She knew it must happen soon, she felt it must be now. She needed to be careful, to pick exactly the right moment. It couldn't wait she had delayed it long enough. She had thought it through, every last detail, she had relished it, finally being able to share with someone, with PB, it was the right thing to do, but she was afraid. it was dangerous, it was risky, nay it was exciting.

Leaning close she whispered

"PB will you come with me for I have something I must share with you"

"I haven't finished this one yet Mo" PB muttered noting he still a few good mouthfuls of ale left.

Mo smiled sweetly

"This is better than ale"

PB grinned across his mug and set it nosily down on the table

"What is it?" He asked getting to his feet.

Mo took his hand, regretting that it wasn't given willingly, no matter she thought its just the ale or that he doesn't want me to think he is too eager. She led the way down the back stairs and into the cellars.

PB followed seemingly willing enough until it was obvious that they were heading for her private room. He footsteps slowed and Mo found she had to almost drag him into the room.

By this time,PB was regretting having had so much of Mo's fine ale, regretted that he had suggested they work closer together, yet he was acutely aware that to make his excuses and leave now would hurt Mo terribly.

" Come mister Hobbit, there is something I need for you to see, something I need to show you, something I'd like for us to do together."

Mo opened her door,

It took Mo a few moment to realize she had forgotten something she quickly shut the door and turned the key.

"Now you have to promise you will tell no one, no matter what."

PB had no intention of discussing this with anyone.

PB nodded

"Say it" Mo demanded

"I will tell no one."

PB hoped she might leave it at that, perhaps she to wanted to back out, she just needed to be sure he wouldn't make light of it with the others.

"No . . . swear it give me you word" Mo was desperate, already she was realizing that PB was only here reluctantly, she could not risk the others knowing.

"I swear I will not tell the others now can . . ."

"Mo drew back the bed covers dragging the reluctant Hobbit forward, his view was somewhat limited but in any case he had no desire to see he shut his eyes, Mo fidgeted for a moment at first he thought she was searching for something but then she thrust his hand onto soft warm flesh.

PB felt his knees quake and tho he tried he could not stifle a small groan. His hand seemed unwilling to move as his fingers traced over the surface, he had not expected it to feel so leathery, this puzzled him a small shiver ran beneath his fingers jolting him back to the reality of the situation he was in.

Mo had watched his hand clumsily grope across the soft skin she had looked up expecting to see the same joy in his face as she felt, when she saw his eyes tightly shut and the look of revulsion on his face it was all she could do to stop herself from slapping him.

She had raised her arm to strike him when something occurred to her.

She touched his face gently . . . then speaking softly she said.

"its ok Mr Hairyfoots, you don't need to be afraid, open your eyes"

They remained shut

Mo's voice hardened

"Dammit man open you eyes"

The sudden harshness in her voice made PB jump, his eyes shot open and now . . .

He did not expect what he saw, nothing could prepare him, it filled him with horror and fear and it was only the locked door that kept him in the room.

Mo cried in despair pleading with him, but he would not, could not heed her.

Finally he managed to regain control,

Mo stood before him eyes blazing accusingly the key to the door in her hand.

"You promised"

"Yes he agreed.

Mo opened the door and PB fled.

Mo returned to the bed sitting down heavily, it had all gone terribly wrong. She began to cry unsure what to do now. PB had rejected her, rejected them. gently she lifted the infant into her arms.

"I will not let them harm you." she pledged.

[Edited on 21/9/2005 by Happy_Hobbit]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 11:00
MO seemed to have a way of surprising PB. AS he fled he tried to understand what he had just seen.
How could Mo allow herself to be saddled with such an infant? What was the dwarf thinking? How could she do such a thing? Did she plan to raise it on her own? - N0! that can't be te case- She must want my assistance as she showed the youngling to me.
This was the fastest PB had ever recover from a bit of over indulgence, but he now felt no effects from all of that ale, except for the buzzing in his head, But that was from what he had just seen.
This was something he'd like to discuss with Calen and Randiron,, but he had sworn an oath, so he'd have to decide on his own.
Another drink to steel his will and he'd go back and talk to MO. He had to make her reconsider! This wasn't a wise decision for her- to attempt to raise it here, and on her own- He found a bottle of mead on the shelf and poured himself a mug full.
He downed it rather quickly, and that sat there for a little while to compose his thoughts. He composed his arguments steeled his will, and then attempted to stand up. Unfortunately, drinking a mug of mead after all of that ale was a big mistake -even if he had thought that he had sobered up - and his legs wouldn't co-operate with him . He manged to turn, and take a single step towards the stairs ,teetered a bit and then he gently slid to the floor and began to snore.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 02:54
Happy that Mo had given her permission for him to use the drawing he'd picked out, Randiron smiled. - And, was flattered the she-Dwarf thought he could render it appropriately.

Their conversation was interrupted, however, by Calen's happy voice, and eagerly, the golden-haired ellon entered into the congratulations. When the room settled back down into calm, though, Mo reached for one of his drawing's he'd set aside. - And, the more he watched, and listened, the more upset Randiron became.

No… he'd not 'noticed' the family-resemblance - but, upon examining the picture closely, the elf now saw it quite plainly.
"These are your family Mo?"

"Yes they are my parents."

Slowly, Randiron nodded, and then replaced the drawing back in his sketchbook. Excusing himself politely, the ellon first went to check on Drauglíriel and her patient; and shared Calen's and Alya's good news. After giving his daughter a hug, and bidding her to call him if anything was needed, Randiron headed for his room.

A quick 'cleanup' (since he now saw how 'paint-splattered' he was), and then, sitting on the edge of his bed, the elf took out the picture of Mo's family again.

It was… 'strange', he thought, and traced it with a light finger. So many 'family reunions' had taken place over these past days: himself and Wolfsong… Alya's brother… and now, two lives were to be joined as one. Yet… and pulling out his private book, Randiron again turned to gaze at the wife he now knew for certain was dead. Sadly, he cradled the volume in his arms, and wept - for himself; for her; - and, for Mo.

For… it was the missing family-members that struck the elf so deeply. Never again would he see Gladwyn… and Mo had her own emptiness in this regard. When he'd recovered a semblance of equanimity, and though it was quite late, Randiron took a deep breath, and carrying his sketchbook, slipped through the now-quiet Inn. To his surprise, he spotted Pb… snoring at the bottom of the stairs.

Shaking his head ruefully, and with a slight chuckle, the elf set down his book, and carefully carried his Hobbit-friend up to bed. "Sleep well!" he softly bid Pb, after settling a blanket over him, and then hurried back to complete his previous task.

Though they'd all sworn not to enter Mo's designated area, Randiron hoped it would - at least - be all right to seek the Dwarf out from her rooms. Hearing a light 'scuffling'-noise from inside, it seemed (to his relief) that Mo was still awake.

Knocking softly on the door, he called, "Mo? It's Randiron! Please - may I speak to you - just for a moment? - I promise - it won't take long!" and then backed away to the other side of the room, wishing to respect the young she-Dwarf's privacy.

While he waited for Mo to come out - if she would - Randiron removed the portrait of the she-Dwarf's family from his sketchbook. If he'd not wanted to grieve in his own privacy for a time, he would have given the picture to Mo earlier… but now he'd done so - it was time for it to be in the hands of the one person who'd treasure it even more than himself…
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 06:30
Calen waited patiently for Alya to talk to him, wiping a stray tear from her cheek as it slowly slid down her cheeks. When she finally began, the pain that filled her voice struck his heart like a knife wound.

“Do you know,” she finally began, speaking slowly – forcing the words out into the open, even though they did not come easily, ”what it means not to be free? Not to own your own body? Not to know how it feels to be loved? Then and only then do you know what my past life was like and what fears I have. I do not know how to be together with someone I love. Up to this point in my life I never counted – everything was always against my will…” she had to stop here.

His arm slipped around her shoulder, pulling her head against his shoulder, allowing her to talk freely without interrupting her by speaking himself, yet still giving her support. Actually, he felt if he spoke a word, he would halt the flowing words that poured out her soul before him.

“Later,” she continued, “when I had finally managed to flee my bondage – I had to eat, to survive and I detested everything I had to do. Stealing was the least of the offences I committed. Sometimes I was forced to sell my body – to survive. But again some took without asking – and one day I realized I was pregnant with Fea. Until I came to the inn I did not even have time to think about the circumstances of her birth. I saw you with her and I saw her innocence and I knew my love for her was not wrong, despite everything that had happened.”

He closed his eyes as she told him how she had survived. An elf maiden would rather die than suffer what Alya had suffered and it reminded him that she had had a mortal parent. Yet her heart and soul belonged to the elf kind....her love for her child was evidence of this.

Again she stopped and glanced at her sleeping daughter. Tears had begun to run silently down her face. “I don’t even know who your father was, little one, or what race he belonged to. I just know that after those dreadful hours alone in the woods, I held you in my arms - and I was alone no more.” She half whispered to Fea, forgetting Calen's presence for a moment.

Calen looked at the lovely child, still sleeping innocently while her mother sat next to her, whispering words no child should hear, at least until she reached the last sentence, which was aimed directly at her daughter. Those words were full of the love she held for her infant. He thought about this child, who would only have a trace of elvish blood in her veins. He knew at some point, Alya would have to make a choice more terrible than she had ever imagined. If she shared vows with him, being half-elven, she could choose the immortal life. But her child would grow and age before her eyes, while she remained un-aged. At some time in the future, she would have to see her child die before her eyes. Fea would have albeit lived a full human life but still, the death of any child was difficult for a parent to bear. Or....she could refuse the immortal life and most probably die before her daughter, but then she would know that she was breaking the heart of the one who would love her until the end of his time, leaving him to suffer the emptiness and loneliness of life without her by his side. But this was not the moment to talk of these decisions. First he had to convince her that in his heart, he only saw the purity of her soul as that was all that would save her to make those decisions another day. Alya movement brought him out of his thoughts.

She had turned back to Calen. Looking into his eyes again she said, “If, after all, you decided not to spend your life with me, I understand. I am not sure if I can fulfill all the duties of a true lifemate – I…I,” sobbing now she forced herself to calm down a bit and go on, “I love you so much and I want to bear your children and make you happy but I don’t know if I can …I'm very scared that ....” She could not go on. Turning away, she hid her face in her hands and let the tears flow freely – tears she had not dared to shed before.

Calen said nothing for a while, simply leaving his hand on her shoulder while she released the anguish she had been carrying with her for far longer than he had known her. He needed this time because he knew what he said to her had to be the right words or he would lose her. Worse, she would lose herself. As her tears began to run more slowly, he began to speak.

"Alya, my love, my heart. The strength of spirit that allowed your decision to stay alive, to give birth to your child, alone or otherwise, and the love your heart feels for her shows the purity of your soul. And it is that soul that I hold dear to me. It is that soul that I want to share my life with. It is that soul that I think love can heal .. in time. But time is endless (he put aside the decision she had yet to make about that) so there is no hurry to be anything but my soulmate. We can wait for anything else until you are healed and ready..and if that time never comes, having you share my life will still be enough. Besides,:love: my beloved, we have a child," he smiled, holding out his hand in Fea's direction. "I love you, meldanya, I love you. Nothing you have told me changes that, except to make me love you more. My soul and my heart are yours to do with what you will, though I hope what you decide to do is give me your love in return."

He wrapped his arm around her shoulder once more, squeezing it lightly, looking deep into her eyes, his unconditional love for her shining in his. He waited silently for her to speak.
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: September 25, 2005 05:38
Mo sat on her bed crying softly her face pressed lightly against the infants. She had been so sure that PB would accept them, now she faced the task alone. She vowed to see no harm would come to her new babe.

She had little knowledge of a family let alone how to raise an infant. She felt overwhelmed and when it started to cry she wanted to run upstairs and throw herself on the mercy of the others, but she could not, she would not, for she felt akin to this poor little scrap, like her it had no family, like her it wasn't easy to love. If she didn't do this no-one would. She must do this.

Standing she gently carried the little one in her arms cradling it as she had watched Alya do, rocking it gently, it began to nuzzle against her making Mo giggle,

"Now stop that . . . it tickles, now don't . . . please."

The baby was more desperate now its tiny hand gripped her shirt as it nuzzled against her, its tiny cry more a whimper. Mo looked at it in alarm what was it doing? She couldn't remember Fae behaving this way. Carefully she laid it upon her bed,

For a few moments it lay quietly leading Mo to think it was going to sleep again, she sighed softly and went to her wash basin, it had been a long night, she needed to sleep . . .

Barely had she thought entered her head when the baby started to cry again, Mo spun round looking for the danger, but there was nothing, just the angry infant, arms waving face screwed up bawling loudly. Mo stood for a moment shocked at the sound and the fervor of its protestations.

She tried talking softly but it yelled all the more loudly, she tried picking it up but it struggled and squirmed. Then it started to nuzzle again.

"Now stop that!!"

Mo felt a sudden rush of anger,

"Why you little demon"

Barely had she said the word than she instantly regretted it.

"No I'm sorry . . . I . . . I'm just tired . . . please please don't cry. What is it? What must I do?"

Mo stared at the tiny form,

"What must I do?"

The infant squirmed and gurgled then finally fell asleep. Mo carefully lay it on the bed. She was forgetting something but what. She wished she hadn't had so much ale now for her head throbbed and her mind seemed fuzzy.

"We are both tired"

She needed to sleep. Now the baby was quiet she felt calmer.

"In the morning I will remember what it is, don't worry little one things will be alright, and who knows maybe even PB will learn to love you too."

There was a knock at the door. Mo glanced up anxiously listening expecting to hear PB's voice, but it was not him and it was with some alarm that Mo realized it was Randiron.

She stood trying to calm her thumping heart. Swallowing hard she approached the door, she must not seem odd, she should behave as normal. Checking the infant was hidden by the heaped covers she slowly opened the door, then stepped outside and shut it swiftly making sure to lock it behind her.

"Ohh its you Randiron"

She tried hard to force a pleasant smile on her lips.

"its a little late for visitors . . . I err well how can I . . . umm What do you want?"

When Randiron handed her the sketch she was ashamed of treating him so abruptly. carefully she led him away from her room to the one where her fathers suit of armour stood.

For a moment she stood in silent homage and then gazing around the room she asked

"Where do you think it would look best?"

Randiron glanced around the dim room, this was obviously a place where Mo kept her treasures, for beside the armour lay several fine axes, leaning against one wall several hammers of varying sizes and hung above the fireplace a large shield slightly battered but still a grand sight.

Mo lit a candle, its light barely enough to light but a small patch of floor and a thin strip of wall. Randiron stared at it for several moments before he realized what he was seeing, into the rock Mo was carving something, A Dwarf face and weapons, but the details were hidden in the shadow.

Mo caught his gaze and smiled,

"Elves paint, Dwarves carve."

She nodded to the wall opposite, I think you gift would fit there most admirably.

Randiron carefully hung his sketch, Mo lit a torch and together they stood in silence. Although Mo could not be certain she felt somehow they shared a common sorrow, in some small way she and he bore similar grief.

"I thank you Randiron sir, but now if you would not think me rude I would dearly like to get some rest, its been a trying day, but . . ."

As a passing thought she added

"Perhaps you'd like to see the carving when I am closer to completing it?"

As Randiron left she made her way wearily back to her room. Upon reaching it she found the infant was still sleeping, she was too tired to wash, barely managing to undress, carefully she crawled in next to the little one and with one kiss upon its head she sank into a deep sleep.

She did not sleep for long. She had woken to a small whimpering, with a start she remembered the infant beside her, for a few moments she tried to ignore it but its cries and fidgeting would not allow her to return to sleep. She was trying to remember what she needed to do when she became aware that her bed was somewhat wet.

Puzzled she sat up, had she fallen asleep with a mug of tea? There was no mug in the bed, had she . . . No she couldn't have . . . could she?

She looked to the little squalling babe,

"Ohh ewww you stink, what have you done? Ohh gee you have . . . ewwww"

She lifted it at arms length trying to not smell the awful stench, her eyes gazing in dismay at the soiled blankets. Now she had picked it up the squalling had stopped and was replaced by a soft gurgle. Mo smiled

"Oh well never mind"

It was only a baby,

"Accidents happen,"

Carefully she washed and dried it and laid it on a fresh new fleece. it seemed happy sucking on one of its toes.

Mo took the soiled blankets from the bed and began to wash them, barely had she lathered the soap when junior began to cry once more.

"I'll be with you in a moment, I'm just cleaning up the mess you made"

Mo hoped to reason with it but it cried more and more bitterly. Finally in dismay Mo relented and leaving the washing undone Mo returned to the infant.

"Now look here . . . aww now stop that, stop it . . . don't cry just tell me what it is you want . . . look now crying isn't helping . . . I . . . don't . . . please ohh please stop . . ."

Suddenly Mo could bear it no longer she plonked the crying infant onto the fleece and went outside, she had to get away, to think to . . . to run away?

Nog brayed mournfully at her. Mo obediently went to the stable to feed him. It was still early but Nog was not one to wait to be fed, if there were someone up then he expected to eat. Mo laughed as she filled his food bucket setting it down in front of the now happily munching donkey.

"Nog you are always hungry . . . "

"Always hungry." she repeated to herself

"Hungry . . . its hungry no wonder it was crying."

A wave of relief was quickly followed by guilt. Mo had forgotten to feed it, in all the excitement the poor thing hadn't yet had anything to eat.

"Oh babe I'm so sorry."

She ran back to her room, almost afraid that whilst she was gone it might have died, dead because she had forgotten this one important thing.

She soon found that wasn't the case for as she opened the door the noise was almost deafening

"Hush now . . . hush its ok, I know what you want . . . I know what to do . . . I . . . err"

What should she do, it needed feeding , yes yes but what, Mo slumped on a chair for a moment stumped, she thought again of Alya, she had seen her feeding Fae

"Milk"

Luckily Mo had a small jugful in her pantry, she took it out and poured some in a cup, then realized babies didn't drink from cups, they oh!!

In the end Mo tried with a spoon, at first the infant refused it but when Mo thought to warm it, testing it to make sure it was just warm, it was greedily accepted. After the feed Mo rocked it and patted its back until finally it fell asleep.

Even tho she was terribly tired she felt happy for she had finally understood what it had wanted. She had remebered babies not only needed lots of sleep they also needed to be fed.

Wearily she went back to washing her bedding, she had just hung it on the line when there was another knock at the door.
This time when she opened it it was PB standing there.

"Come in." she said smiling, hopeful he was here to help.

[Edited on 25/9/2005 by Happy_Hobbit]
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2005 07:23
Alya looked at Calen, into the eyes shining with love, with unconditional love that would last for eternity. Then her eyes widened. She looked at Fea, then back at Calen. In his face – in his eyes- she could read, what he hadn’t said, but what she had instinctively known.
After what seemed to be a little eternity Alya swallowed hard, “She will die – won’t she?” Silently one last tear ran down her face.

After the tear had run down her cheek and dropped onto her dress, she lifted her head and said with a strong voice. “I love you Calen. I choose you and life with you. I choose happiness.
Yes – and I also choose a full and happy life for Fea. I know she has a purpose on this earth and no one can know what lies in store for her. Maybe she will be given a choice, too …” By now she smiled a little. There was so much hope – if she had made it, if there was love and life for her, so there would be for her daughter. And if death lay in her path – so be it – Fea would have had the best life she, Alya, could give her.

Little did she know what it meant to loose a child. To watch her grow old and not feel age herself. Youth spoke out of her optimistic words. Only with this naivety was she able to make the choice so lightly and so quickly.

However, at this moment, after she had seen the unconditional love in Calen’s eyes there was no other choice she could have made. She again looked into Calen’s eyes and her eyes also said everything she needed to – shining of love, youth and hope – and all sorrow was forgotten.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2005 02:35
Slowly returning to the real world from a deep sleep, Reycha realized that she was waking up. Desperately, she clung to the sleep, not willing to wake up. Just a little bit of rest, a little bit more, before returning... Her eyelids reluctantly opened. She knew she could not afford to sleep.
Then, she noticed she was not home. It was not their attic, this was not the hard and uncomfortable bet she had got used to sleep on...
With a jolt, she sat up, her eyes wide open. Marim! Where was her son? What was this place?
Reycha tried to get up and fell down on the floor, her knees bending under her. She stood up, holding to the bet. What was she wearing? It looked like a white gown, only, it was so clean and smooth...
Step by step, Reycha headed to the closed door. It was dark, only a single cnadle iluminating the room. The girl had to find somebody, she had questions to be answered.
Reycha stepped into a dark passage that led to a large room. It looked like a hall of a hotel or an inn, only, it was completely empty. And, it seemed to be somehow deserted, maybe for a long time. On one of the walls, thate was a painting. Reycha stopped, open-mouthed. There was still some wood burning in the fireplace, and the shaky light iluminated the magnificent scene, making it look magical and breathtakingly beautiful... Reycha leaned on one of the tables and stared at the picture, for a moment forgetting everything.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2005 01:07
It was well past midnight when Elenath finally put aside the beginnings of Ayla's wedding gown. She had been stitching almost obsessively for the past few hours, and she suddenly realised just how *stiff* she felt. Perhaps a walk outside would do her some good...

With that, she stood, stretched, and left the room, locking the door behind her. *Noone* was going to see what she was up to until she was done.

The inn was silent, and Elenath gathered most of its inhabitants had long gone to bed. She padded softly down the stairs, now illuminated by the silver moonlight streaming in through the newly-cleaned windows. In the main room the last embers in the fire were already fading; the moon was high in the sky. It was then she realised she was not the only one in the room.

A girl, the woman Calen and Randiron had brought in earlier, was standing by a large table, staring open-mouthed at Randiron's excellent painting.

"Hello...?"
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 27, 2005 03:53
Reycha jumped, startled by the strange feminine voice. She swirled around to see the person, but her legs won't hold and she tumbled down on the ground. Trying to hold, she turned over the table she was leaning on and it crushed on the floor with a deafening sound, or so it seemed to her. While Reycha tried to realise what had happened, the woman who had spoken to her was already by her side.
"Are you all right"?"
Reycha stared in her dark eyes and beautiful, yet expressionless face. The woman seemed to have just stepped out of a fairy-tale. Her dark hair underlined the etherical beauty of her fair face.
Only some time later did Reycha realise she had been staring at the woman unpolitely.
"Y-yes..." Reycha tried to get up herself, but the woman offered the much needed help.
"Where am I?" the girl asked the question she had been thinking about since she had woken up.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 27, 2005 06:34
Overwhelmingly relieved that Mo hadn't been offended by him bothering her, Randiron didn't think her rude at all. "See you in the morning!" he bid her, and headed back to his own room. The partially-completed carving was excellent - in the blond-haired elf's opinion, and he couldn't wait to see the young she-Dwarf's finished product.

The Inn was quiet, and dark still as he passed through the main room. Peeking in again to check on his daughter, she smiled and said her patient - at the moment - was sleeping soundly. "You need sleep, too, iell nín!" the ellon chided gently, and walked Drauglíriel to her room. "Sleep well!" Randiron told her, and with a kiss to her cheek, took himself off to bed.

Yet, a loud crash from without startled Randiron awake some time later, and throwing on his clothes, rushed out to see what was going on. Nervous - after what had happened to PB, he desperately hoped that no one had come in revenge for the punishment given for that 'incident'.

Back in the main room, Randiron saw a table had collapsed, and Elenath helping the injured girl up from the floor.

"May I help?" he inquired, looking from the elleth, to the girl, and then back again.
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 27, 2005 01:19
Elenath hurried forward and caught the girl as she fell. The girl was startled, perhaps even slightly shocked, but then Elenath figured she would have been too if she had just woken up to find herself in an unknown place and a total stranger walked in on her musings. In the light of the dying embers the two sized each other up. Reycha's dark eyes were wide - in shock? Or was it fear? It seemed almost an eternity before Elenath found the sense to help the girl back up.

"Where am I?" the girl asked the question she had been thinking about since she had woken up.

"In the Forsaken Inn, a day or so's journey from Bree." she replied quietly.

At that moment soft, hurried footsteps sounded in the corridor beyond, and Randiron came rushing in in the closest Elenath had ever seen him to a panic.

"May I help?" he inquired, looking from the elleth, to the girl, and then back again.

"We're all right." she shook her head with a wry smile. "But I fear the table is not."
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: September 27, 2005 03:16
PB woke with a start! Last thing he remembered was leaving Mo's quarters after that awkward trip down to the Dwarf's room. How he ended up in bed was beyond his recall.

__Recall.....________-
WAIT!! Did he really see that... that... that ... er ..infant in Mo's bed!!. Or was that memory a product of too much ale. What had mo been doing.
If his memories were real, he'd have to go talk to mo and convince to change her plans. Didn't she know anything about her people's history . He couldn't see any good coming from this at all.
After the way he'd left, he couldn't just barge down there. he'd have to make up an excuse.
perhaps a breakfast brought down with ahumble apology for his conduct woulfd bean excuse to get back to mo's quarters and verify his somewhat blurry memry. he'd also need to stop by and see the healer and see if she had antything for a headache , as his was pounding .
The healer gave him a small bag of leaves to brew a tea that she claimed would reduce the effects of the ale, accompanied by a stern lecture on overindulging . he endured the lecture, thanked her, and headed into the kitchen , to brew his tea and make a breakfast.
' Eggs, bacon, sliced tomatoes, and of course fried mushrooms'; PB inventoried as he would prepared a breakfast to take down to Mo. while preparing that he boiled some water and brewed a foul smelling tea from the healer's leaves.
the tea was foul smelling, but ater the first sip , he felt the pressure in his skull start to lessen. She really seemed to know her stuff.

Once his head started clear PB started composing his arguments, in case his memories of Mo's quarters were accurate.
He filled a platter with food, grabbed a couple of plates and some unensils , and headed down to Mo's quarters.
he then stood at the door, stealing himself to knock on it.
*(continued in the moorning- gotta get to work )
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 27, 2005 05:31
After what seemed to be a little eternity Alya swallowed hard, “She will die – won’t she?” Silently one last tear ran down her face.

Calen held her, knowing she did not truly understand what that would mean should she choose immortality. "Alya," he began, then could go no further. He would allow her to have this one moment of unrestrained happiness. The time must come, before they shared their vows, before she made the final choice of which life she truly wanted, when he would share his foresight with her. But not now, not when she was happy and untarnished by what she must finally come to know.

They sat on the bed, sharing their love and talking, when a crash resounded thoughout the Inn. It was from somewhere on the first level of the Inn. Fearing some retribution from the ruffians from Bree, he told Alya to stay in their room and guard Fea...he would call her to come down when it was safe. Rising from the bed, he tucked his hand under her chin, lifting her face to his. He kissed her gently, running his fingers through her hair, then rushing for the door, picking up his sword which stood propped against the wall next to his bed, he raced for the stairs.

When he reached the bottom of the front staircase, his eyes took in a confusing scene. Randiron was standing with his back to Calen and on the other side of the fair haired elf, Calen could just make out two bodies on the floor. Moving rapidly, he was at Randiron's side in seconds, where he could see that the two on the floor were alive, if one of them was not necessarily well.

Elenath was on her knees holding the shoulders of the strange woman they had found earlier across her lap. Glancing at Randiron as if expecting an explanation from him, and getting none, he then looked down at Elenath and the woman, taking in the smashed table at the same time. Realizing he would not need his sword, he propped it next to the wall where once the table had stood.

"Elenath, what happened? Is she alright?" He knelt next to the woman, looking into her saucer like eyes. "Well, young lady, when last I saw you, you were in a ditch half covered with water. We brought you here. I would ask how you're feeling but frankly, you do not look as well as I had hoped you would when next I saw you. My name is Calen, and the ellath here is Elenath. The tall one standing there is Randiron. Would you share yours with us? " A thought crossed his mind. "Will you wait but a moment? I need to call someone and let them know that it was not a horde of orcs crashing through the front door." Grinning at her, he patted her hand. Standing, he went to the bottom of the stairs, calling up, "Alya, love, it's alright. You are safe to come down and please bring your herbs with you when you come. We may need a few of them." He returned to the side of the human female, kneeling once again at her side. "Now, what should we call you, m'lady?"
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 04:14
Reycha had just gotten over the fact that she had fallen so LOUDLY, when a tall blonde man ran in. Luckily, he remained at a distance, only inquiring if the beautiful woman and Reycha needed help. The girl hurried to shake her head "no".
Forsaken Inn... It sounded... dangerous. Who were these people? Why was she there? Reycha started to think about being kidnapped or something like that. But - why?

Just then another tall man rushed in the hall, a sword in his hand. With a frightened gasp, Reycha unconsciously squeezed the woman's hand. But then, the man propped his sword near the wall and knelt by their side. Reycha tried to move backwards, to be as far as possible, but her shoulders were still being held by the woman. Reycha's heart raced, her breath became shallow. What were they up to?!

"Elenath, what happened? Is she alright?" He knelt next to the woman, looking into her saucer like eyes. "Well, young lady, when last I saw you, you were in a ditch half covered with water. We brought you here. I would ask how you're feeling but frankly, you do not look as well as I had hoped you would when next I saw you. My name is Calen, and the ellath here is Elenath. The tall one standing there is Randiron. Would you share yours with us? " A thought crossed his mind. "Will you wait but a moment? I need to call someone and let them know that it was not a horde of orcs crashing through the front door." Grinning at her, he patted her hand.

Reycha stared at the man. What was he talking about? He did not look dangerous, at least his voice sounded quite friendly. Though, when his hand touched hers, the girl nearly jumped. She hurried to pull her hand back.
Standing, he went to the bottom of the stairs, calling up, "Alya, love, it's alright. You are safe to come down and please bring your herbs with you when you come. We may need a few of them."

Reycha's brow furrowed. Ditch? She realised she could not properly remember what had happened.
He returned to the side of the human female, kneeling once again at her side. "Now, what should we call you, m'lady?"

Even more afraid, now that she could not put all the pieces of her memory together, Reycha looked pleadingly at Calen, feeling the tears of helplessnes stinging her eyes.
"I... I am Reycha. What... do you want from me? Why am I here?"
In the Realm of Ulmo
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 04:54
Hearing Calen call Alya made sure Fea was comfortable and took the pouch of herbs she had been collecting with Draugiriel. She quietly looked into the other woman's room, but found the healer sleeping. She needs it, thought Alya and quietly closed the door.

When she reached the others downstairs, she saw a huddle of people. Elenath was on the floor with the strange girl and Calen and Randiron were beside them. "Is everyone all right?" she asked carefully. Then, she heard the stranger say her name. The girl looked frightened and utterly overwhelmed. Thinking quickly, she looked at Calen, then at the others and the solution came to her.

"Well, you all seem to be quite all right - why don't we all go into the kitchen and get some tea and then maybe we can show Reycha that we do not bite -" she smiled at the girl encouragingly and led the way to the kitchen, where she immediately went to work and put some water on the stove. By the time the others came in, tea was ready.

(ooc: sorry I know this is a bad post, but I didn't know what else to do at the moment - next one will be better - promised.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 09:29
"My little organizer," thought Calen, smiling to himself as he watched Alya calmly taking over the situation and leading them all to the kitchen. He hoped she would put some of the sedative herbs in Reycha's tea, as the woman was still distraught though calmer than when he had first reached her side.

Taking her arm in his strong hand, while nodding to Elenath to take her other arm, Calen began the process of pulling Reycha to her feet. He could feel the trembling uncertainty in her legs and held her firmly, guiding her towards the kitchen, where he and Elenath deposited her on a chair. He watched as Alya brewed several mugs of tea, wondering about this strange unhappy woman who was sitting at his side. He pulled out a chair and sat down next to her.

"Reycha, you asked what we want from you and why you are here. First, let me assure you that we want nothing from you but that you heal. You have few outer wounds, some scratches and bruises, but otherwise nothing to show. We have a healer here who has tended to those. It is, I fear, your inner wounds that trouble you. Would that we could cure those so easily." He looked compassionately into her eyes. "As to why you are here, perhaps you could tell us. We found you outside, in the rain, in the dark of night, in a ditch. You must have slipped into it somehow and the rain had almost filled it when we pulled you out. But why were you on the East-West Road in the middle of the night in a downpour is anyone's guess. Can you tell us the answer to that?"
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 12:19
After standing in front of Mo's door for what seemed to be an eternity, PB finally worked up the courage to knock; 'Mo, are you in there? We need to discuss some things."
The door opened a crack and Mo peeked out;" Oh you are alone ; please come in"
PB held the platter out in front of him, lifted the lid and smiled wanly;"I brought breakfast, sort of as a peace offering, for the way I left so abruptly"
He set the platter down on the bedside table, and it was then he noticed that the blankets on the bed , weren't actually just tumbled together; they were moving up and down rhythmically. His somewhat foggy memory was correct!! PB stuttered; "Bu. bub...but, I guess it wasn't a dream; we really need to discuss this Mo."
With that, and with the breakfast totally forgotten he led Mo over to two chairs she had set up facing her small heating stove. 'Let's sit down and discuss this calmly" , although he realized that he was the only one in the room that wsn't calm.
Mo looked at him, smiled and said, quite firmly;" I'm going to raise this infant to adulthood , and I'd like to have your help, but with or without it, I AM going to raise this foundling.!"
PB grabbed her hands and said;" Do you know what you are risking with this decision? What do you know of your people's history , at the Grey Mountains , and at Erebor? I promised to keep your secret , and I will, but I really think that you need to ask the advice of some of the others here at the Inn. This decision could put all of us at risk once this infant grows and matures. And what would happen if word was to get out and it's relatives heard, and came looking? If that was to happen , there are few left on Middle-earth that could help us . "
"Let us drink some tea, eat some breakfast and discuss this further. Sit here and think about what i said and I'll fix our plates.
PB went to the platter, poured two mugs of tea , and began fixing pltaes, when he suddenlty realized that the bacon was missing. He was sure that he had rained it an piled it right beside the - yes ther was a spot of grease wgher it had been. loooking at the bed and the rhythmic motion of the blankets, he then realized where the bacon had gone.
He looked over at Mo and stated; "It likes meat Mo,; what will happen when it gets bigger?"

[Edited on 28/9/2005 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 01:26
Whatever Elenath *didn't* know about the girl, it was obvious she was *very* frightened indeed, all tensed up and wide-eyed. And then Calen rushed in, sword drawn and raised. The girl visibly recoiled, subconsciously squeezing Elenath's hand, and she put a reassuring hand on the girl's shoulder.

"Elenath, what happened? Is she alright?" He knelt next to the woman, looking into her saucer like eyes. "Well, young lady, when last I saw you, you were in a ditch half covered with water. We brought you here. I would ask how you're feeling but frankly, you do not look as well as I had hoped you would when next I saw you. My name is Calen, and the ellath here is Elenath. The tall one standing there is Randiron. Would you share yours with us? " A thought crossed his mind. "Will you wait but a moment? I need to call someone and let them know that it was not a horde of orcs crashing through the front door." Grinning at her, he patted her hand.

She tried to shrink from Calen's touch. Whatever had happened to make her so wary? So suspicious? It was then Ayla came hurrying down the stairs with the most sensible suggestion she had heard in the past few minutes.

"Well, you all seem to be quite all right - why don't we all go into the kitchen and get some tea and then maybe we can show Reycha that we do not bite -" she smiled at the girl encouragingly and led the way to the kitchen, where she immediately went to work and put some water on the stove. By the time the others came in, tea was ready.

Calen took Reycha's other arm, and between them they helped her into the kitchen. The tea seemed to help, but Reycha still looked quite unsettled, and as Calen took over the questioning Elenath sat herself down near the girl, in case she should need anything.

[OOC: *terrible* post quality on my part, but the teacher just got here so I have to get off the com! Think I'll edit later!]

[Edited on 28/9/2005 by Sirithros_Lirenel]
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: October 01, 2005 07:39
Mo was more than happy to find PB at her door, she had feared he might not come back, that he thought to bring breakfast pleased her even more for her belly was hungry despite her tiredness.
"I brought breakfast, sort of as a peace offering, for the way I left so abruptly"

Mo smiled willingly accepting the Hobbits apology, he'd had time to think and . . .

"Bu. bub...but, I guess it wasn't a dream; we really need to discuss this Mo."

There wasn't much point in discussion, she had made up her mind, however she wanted PB's help, more than that she knew she would need it, so although she was reluctant she allowed PB to lead her to the chairs in front of her small stove.

"Let's sit down and discuss this calmly"

Mo nodded, Somehow she would find a way to convince him this was a good thing.

" I'm going to raise this infant to adulthood , and I'd like to have your help, but with or without it, I AM going to raise this foundling.!"

She hoped by stating her discussion PB would relent and agree to help, what use was arguments when the discussion was made? PB however would not give in so easily reminding Mo of the past.

"So much sadness, so many wrongs, did she truly believe this was wise"

He held her hands his gentle he pleaded with her to give up on this dangerous venture, or at least to seek council from the others.

For a moment Mo sat shocked and then started to giggle,

"Oh PB ask the others? Why ever would I do that? Wise you say. Dear Mr Hairyfoot, they are not so wise, they believed there were no Dwarven women, they also think that we are bearded, haa wise no . . . not so, well not in this matter anyways."

"This decision could put all of us at risk, what would happen if word was to get out and it's relatives come looking? If that was to happen , there are few left on Middle-earth that could help us . "

Pb glanced at the heaving blankets and shuddered,

"Let us drink some tea, eat some breakfast and discuss this further. Sit here and think about what i said and I'll fix our plates.

Mo stopped giggling, PB still did not seem convinced, the water was now boiling so she added it to the leaves in the pot next to the fire,

"Teas almost made."

Mo thought on what PB had said.

"I would not willingly endanger the Inn, you should know that, as for its relatives, it has none, if there were any distant ones they would have most likely killed and eaten it. Don't you see PB it would be such a great thing for us if we do this, we . . ."

PB went to the platter, poured two mugs of tea , and began their fixing plates. Realizing that the bacon was missing. He asked
"It likes meat Mo,; what will happen when it gets bigger?"

"You gave it meat?"

Mo was suddenly beside the bed with a cry of alarm she lifted the infant from beneath the blankets and looked gingerly at it

"Its a baby I cant eat m . . . well seems no harm done, you should be more careful PB I don't want to lose it I love . . ."

You LOVE it!!"

PB suddenly leapt up

"How can you love such a thing . . . You don't love it Mo, why you don't even know what sex it is . . . You love only the idea of being the first to . . ."

Mo's face darkened her blue eyes blazing with anger, her chin lifted stubbornly,

"I do love it, as to its sex thats easy . . "

Lifting the sleepy infant Mo studied it for a few seconds, then lowering it into her protective embrace, she announced ,

"Its a little girl, tho a boy would have been just as welcome, and I'll have you know that this is not the first time."

PB stopped, his eyes growing wide with surprise. He sat down suddenly all his arguments seemed pointless if Mo had succeeded in raising one before then perhaps this was possible.

"Y . . You have done this before?"

"Yes . . . well no, not actually myself but I've heard stories, Momma told them to me before I would go to sleep."

Mo was certain PB was beat, she had won.

"Stories, oh Mo surely you haven't ventured into this on the strength of a sweet tale to set sleepy heads off to dreamland."

PB understood now how this had happened, for surely deprived of her family Mo had clung to her childhood memories believing them to be utterly true. It saddened him that it was only through him she should come to realize they were stories made up to enthrall a restless child. What's more that she would now realize her folly in wanting to raise such a foundling.

"Mo I'm sorry . . . but . . . MO??"

PB reached out to touch her shoulder, she shrugged it aside turning her tear-stained face towards him,

"I love her PB, no matter what, I know there was more than legend in my Momma's stories, beyond the childish words a truth lies. She will prove me right given time, I will not surrender her to the Elves."

Mo stood there were no more tears, no more words just a look that said

I will prove it
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: October 03, 2005 11:02
PB suddenly stood up and began gathering up the dishes, although he was extremely reluctant to pick up the empty dish that contained the now devoured bacon. He had to get away and think; he needed to clear his fears and worries and reason this out ratonally, without any emotional reactions and he couldn't remove the emotional response as long as he could see Mo's bed and what was in it.
he lked at Mo, and said calmly; "I'll put these dishes in the kitchen , and then I need to go off and think. This matter really has me worried; but have no fear; I swore myself to secrecy, and I'll not reveal your secret, although I fear I may be risking all of us by staying quiet."
With one last look at the bed, and the youngling hidden there, PB shuddered and then left MO and headed for the kitchen. he thought to himsef;'What shall I do; this cannot be kept secret for long. The other residents of the Forsaken Inn must be told; yet I am foresworn . What does a man have if he gives up his honour and reveals that which he has promised to keep secret?
After washing up the dishes, PB poured himself a striong coffee and headed into the Tavern room to sit and think. Calen, Reycha, Randiron and Alya were also sitting there, but PB waved to them and sat alone. The engaged couple deserved their happiness, and Reycha needed to be comforted and helped to feel secure so that her memories could return. None of them needed to know, just yet, of PB's worries, and as he was sworn to secrecy, he could not reveal them anyway. he had to try and work this out on his own.
Calen tried to wave him over to their table, but PB waved make, attempted a smile said ; "I'd join you but, I have some concerns about a friend that I need to think over,and I don't want to dampen your joy, or interfere with Reycha's recovery. He then sat right down and was rapidly deep in thought about his dilemna.
He had to try and convince MO of the folly and danger of what she wished to attempt. failng that he had to convince her to reveal her plans to some of the others. The problem was that , even if the others knew, Mo was still leery of elves and wouldn't heed their advice , and might even go against it just because it was Elvish advice.
He still liked and admired the Dwarf, and but he was still quite sure, in this case, that she was making a mistake; and it was the future repercussions of that mistake that had him worried. And what of the stories that MO said she was told by her mother? Was there any truth in the stories Mo seems to be relying on, or were they just silly things said to entertain a young child?.

[Edited on 3/10/2005 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
elvish_angel015
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2005 07:10
Elanor looked in slight confusion at the Inn that was coming to view. In her last travels to this area some years back, she did not recall this place being in working order. But given that Rivendell was still a fair distance, she guided her stallion in front of the Inn.

She threw her hood back so that she could clearly look around her. Her glance fell at the sign "Under new managment" and divulging her thoughts spoke, "About time someone opened an Inn between Bree and Rivendell!"

Making sure that Thowra's reins were tied securely tied, she stepped in through the open doors. The landing was empty but the sounds of cutlery being moved around, merry laughter and voices rising and falling came to her ears.

She rapped soundly on the door and called out in her fair voice, "Excuse me but can someone please assist me?"

[Edited on 4/10/2005 by elvish_angel015]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2005 03:53
Reycha didn't resist when she wa sbeing pulled to her feet and brought to the kitchen. It would make no sense anyway, taking how weak she was. A hot tea mug was placed in front of her. refusing the thought of a poison, she took it gratefully and drank the steaming teal. The liquid almost burnt her empty stomack. But it felt better to have at least something inside...
The man who had called himself Calen spoke to her:
"Reycha, you asked what we want from you and why you are here. First, let me assure you that we want nothing from you but that you heal. You have few outer wounds, some scratches and bruises, but otherwise nothing to show. We have a healer here who has tended to those. It is, I fear, your inner wounds that trouble you. Would that we could cure those so easily." He looked compassionately into her eyes. "As to why you are here, perhaps you could tell us. We found you outside, in the rain, in the dark of night, in a ditch. You must have slipped into it somehow and the rain had almost filled it when we pulled you out. But why were you on the East-West Road in the middle of the night in a downpour is anyone's guess. Can you tell us the answer to that?"

Reycha frowned. After a moment of silence she looked in Calen's eyes with an uncertain gaze:
"I don't think I ... know." She shifted nervously. "I... I can't remember. It is just that... I don't know..." her lower lip trembled and her large black eyes filled with tears of helplessness and unhappiness. "I know that I live in Bree, that my parents... are gone..."she frowned trying to remember, "and that I have a husband there..." she almost dropped the mug when her fingers started to tremble. "Pran! he is going to kill me when he finds out I am not at home!"
Recha remebered Pran's large rough hands that knew so well how to hit, how to hurt, how... Her hand touched her cheek as if expecting to find a bruise there.
Just then a loud knock on the door made her jump. With terror in her wide eyes, Reycha stared at the direction whre the sound came from.
"Excuse me but can someone please assist me?"
It was a female's voice! Reycha sighed relieved and sank back in her seat.
In the Realm of Ulmo
<< First45678Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email