Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First56789Last >>
Author Topic:
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
Post RE: The Forsaken Inn- Under New Management.(open to anyone-anytime)
on: October 05, 2005 06:31
Since Recha seemed to be in good hands, Randiron just sat at the table and listened. - Yet... well his elven-senses could tell the woman's life had been more than hard... and it seemed there was still something not... 'right'. Whether she'd share it or not, was another thing.

A sharp knock, however startled the golden-haired ellon, and a voice called to those within.

"Excuse me but can someone please assist me?"

Since Pb seemed... 'distracted', Randiron smiled, and rose. "I'll see who's there," he said, and went to open it.

"Hello!" he said, and politely bowed her inside. "Welcome to the Forsaken Inn... um... we're not *quite* 'open' yet - but how may we help? My name's Randiron, by the way... may I ask yours?"
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
ithillinde
Creator of Reality
Send Message
on: October 05, 2005 08:08
Calle sighed heavily as she patted the forehead of a donkey that was pulling a small cart next to her. The copper pots clanged and banged softly amid the cloths and various sacks of ingredients that filled the small cart. For the umpteenth time she wished the cart was big enough for her ride in, her shoes having worn out quite some time ago and her feet although now quite calloused were still susceptible to cuts from sharp rocks and thorns. How long she had been traveling she really wasn’t sure anymore as she never really kept track of how many days, weeks had gone by. After leaving Rohan after her husband and son were killed in the battle at Helm’s Deep, Calle had straightened out what little affairs she had to take care of and sold her family’s little bakery.

It seemed like forever as she went from town to town, inn to inn working as she always had since she was a little girl as a baker and confectionary. Baking breads and cakes, and making her delicate, yet delicious confections of sugar and the very rare ingredient in Middle Earth, chocolate. Yet everywhere was the same, the same greedy employers, the same rude, crude townsmen. She had yet to find somewhere she could call home.

She was on the road to a place called Bree where she hoped she could find a place to finally settle her travel-wary feet. By the sun’s position in the sky, it had to be close to noon, when a lone building came into view. It seemed to be a rundown inn that someone was fixing up as loads of wood was piled everywhere outside and next to a door was a table full of tools. The smell of fresh sawdust came from golden piles of shavings here and there.

“Couldn’t hurt to stop for a bit could it Mori, hmm?” Calle asked the soft gray donkey as she brought him to a halt by what seemed to be the front door. Cautiously she entered into the inn and called out, “Hello? Anyone here?”

(ooc- I didn't think the knock was for me so i didn't include it)
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: October 05, 2005 08:23
As PB left Mo felt desperately sad, she considered going after him, but decided it would be no use, maybe when he had had time to think . . .

She took one last glance up the cellar corridor then closed her door locking it and with a deep sigh returned to her bed. Drawing back the covers she found the infant was awake and wet again.

Mo stood staring blankly at the dirty bed, was it always going to be so hard?

She lifted the little infant it nuzzled against her crying weakly,

"Ai you are hungry, lets clean you up and get you fed and then once I fixed up my cot . . . cot!!!"

Mo's eyes grew wide

"Of course!!"

That was the answer, she needed to make a crib for the baby, that way her bed would stay dry she could change the infants easily enough.

Feeling delighted with solving a problem Mo carefully cleaned and fed the foundling remembering to wind her and when she was finally starting to doze Mo set about finding the things she would need.

Nails were easy, thanks to PB and her efforts earlier, a hammer she had already. Looking through the wood pile she had soon selected a couple of fairly well matched logs and then after some searching she found an old beer barrel, it smelt a little of hops but Mo reckoned it would do the job. Finally she took a saw from the smithy, she would have asked PB's permission but thought perhaps he wouldn't mind.

The next few hours found Mo busy sawing the Barrel in half fitting two log feet and carefully sanding and smoothing until the crib was ready. Mo stood back admiring her handiwork, maybe not the prettiest crib but a good sturdy and functional piece.

Mo checked on the infant that she had now laid on a pile of hides on the floor, she was sleeping, good she could go get something to eat and find the one other thing she needed.

Mo headed towards the kitchen, then hearing several voices she changed her mind, she'd have to get lunch later, with a sigh she turned heading outside. Moments later she had reached the barn. Nog brayed happy to see her and Mo stopped long enough to scratch his ears and add a few handfuls of oats to his feed trough.

She eyed the stable warily, shuddering at the memory of a few weeks ago, telling Nog she'd be back later she lifted a large bale of hay and headed back to the cellars.

She was glad to reach the safety of her room, shutting and then locking the door. Using the hay as a mattress Mo padded out the crib, then carefully lined the whole thing with a soft fleece. Gently she lifted the foundling into its cosy interior, it stirred a little then yawning loudly fell back into sleep.

A while later Mo had washed all the soiled bedding, remade her bed and prepared a feed for when Junior woke. Settling in the chair she watched the steady rise and fall as her new charge slept soundly on.

"I must think of a name for you."

But Mo never got to think of much for tiredness crept over her and she soon joined the newborn in slumber.

elvish_angel015
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 03:50
Elanor bowed in reply, "I am Elanor Sangriff from Mirkwood. I was hoping that you would have a spare room for a few nights?"

She glanced around the Inn,"I hope that I am not being too forward by asking you something. What do you mean by 'not quite open yet'? For I have travelled countless times on this road and have not seen this Inn in working conditions before"
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 04:11
Calen meanwhile patted Reycha's hand and suggested, "Why don't you stay here and drink your tea." He looked up at Alya, his eyes questioning her as to whether there was a mild sedating herb added to the mug. When Alya nodded, he stood and went to see who the new arrival was. As he passed behind Elenath's chair, he bent over and whispered in her ear. "Elenath, could we talk in the morning? I have a fearsome favor to ask of you but you are the one I want for this task."

He continued on to the front entrance hall in time to hear the newcomer say, "I am Elanor Sangriff from Mirkwood. I was hoping that you would have a spare room for a few nights?" She glanced around the Inn, "I hope that I am not being too forward by asking you something. What do you mean by 'not quite open yet'? For I have travelled countless times on this road and have not seen this Inn in working conditions before"

He stepped up alongside Randiron, placing his hand on the shy elf's shoulder. "M'lady Elanor, this ellon at my side is our brilliant artist....note the painting at the end of the hall. I am the woodworker who is replacing the carvings throughout the Inn. As to whether we have a spare room for you, I can only say if you don't mind pitching in and helping with whatever work is needed while you are here, I'm sure we can find a space for you. At least I think we can." He looked around doubtfully, trying to recall how many of the rooms were still empty. "But I know who I can ask as she seems to have everyone organized very well so far." He was about to head back for the kitchen to ask for Alya's involvement in the front hall problem when suddenly, another woman stepped through the already open door, calling out, “Hello? Anyone here?”
Glancing at Randiron, he said, "I'm going to get Alya. Be back in a moment. Hold down the fort, mellon nin."
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 07, 2005 06:35
He stepped up alongside Randiron, placing his hand on the shy elf's shoulder. "M'lady Elanor, this ellon at my side is our brilliant artist....note the painting at the end of the hall. I am the woodworker who is replacing the carvings throughout the Inn. As to whether we have a spare room for you, I can only say if you don't mind pitching in and helping with whatever work is needed while you are here, I'm sure we can find a space for you. At least I think we can." He looked around doubtfully, trying to recall how many of the rooms were still empty. "But I know who I can ask as she seems to have everyone organized very well so far." He was about to head back for the kitchen to ask for Alya's involvement in the front hall problem when suddenly, another woman stepped through the already open door, calling out, “Hello? Anyone here?”
Glancing at Randiron, he said, "I'm going to get Alya. Be back in a moment. Hold down the fort, mellon nin."

Rather grateful that once again Calen had spoken up, Randiron reddened slightly when his friend pointed out his painting. But, nodding, "As I can," he grinned after the other ellon, and turned to greet the second of the newest arrivals.

Introducing himself again, he discovered the woman's name was Calle, the elf repeated Calen's comments about the Inn, and bowed both women into the main room and bid them to make themselves comfortable. After introducing Elenath as well, the golden-haired ellon inquired, "Do either of you have mounts that need tending to? - If so, I'll get them settled in the stable for you."

And then, bethinking himself of something, "Oh!" and berated himself soundly, "I'll go let Pb know you're here, too... That's Potbelly Hairyfoot - our resident Hobbit and the Master of this endeavor!" and hurried out of the room.

"Pb!" Randiron hated to interrupt his small friend's musings, "We've more company arrived!" the elf announced. "Do you care to come meet them? - I think they'll be glad to help us out, though they haven't answered yet..."

[Edited on 7/10/2005 by gwendeth]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: October 08, 2005 12:39
At the mention of his name, PB was jolted back to the present and stopped his mental wanderings and daydreaming about some possible future catastrophe he was tempted to call the 'Desolation of Mo"..
He quickly stood up and addressed the visitors: ' How do you do ? I am known as PB and I'm one of the new owners of the Forsaken Inn. I'm afraid that we haven't quite finished preparing the Inn for guests , but I do believe that we have a couple of empty rooms and can accomodate you. Please sit your belongings by the door there and come one in and sit down. '
PB motioned the two of them to an empty table near the bar and they took hs advice, sat the bags down and came in. "You must be a bit weary and hungry from the road. I'll get you each an ale; we have a fine Dwarvish ale that is prepared right here on the premises; and I'll also see if I can't rustle you up a quick meal . I'm afraid that it will have to be whatever is aleady prepared, as we have not yet acquired a permanent cook. "
Playing host and and taking care of the guests was just what PB needed to get his mind off of his concerns. He quickly fell right into a 'host' role, almost as though he had been doing it, rather than blacksmithing, for years.
'Once the two of them were sitting, he went over to the bar, returning with a couple of mugs of ale' "I hope you don't mind this dwarvish ale I've not tried it before I arrived here, but the Dwarf in residence, actually does a fine job of it. Enjoy these, and I'll return in a bit with a bite to eat."
With that said, PB . who now seemed to be moving like a whirlwind, headed into the kitchen., quickly returning with a covered platter and not two, but three plates. he set one plate in front of each guest, sat down accross from them with the third, and lifted the lid off of the platter, revealling breads, cheeses, fresh garden greens, an assortment of pastries, and a goodly supply of bacon.
He smiled at the two guests and said; "I hope that you don't mind nme joining you for this meal, but it's been a couple of hours since my last meal, and I am feeling a bit hungry again. Us hobbits need frequent feeding, and I really didn't get to enjoy my breakfast ,and , come to think of it, I never even touched my bacon.
As they began moving food from the platter to their plates , PB asked a question of the guests; 'What brings you two to our fine Inn today ?"

[Edited on 8/10/2005 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2005 07:50
When Alya returned with Calen the two new guests were already seated and were obviously enjoying something to eat with PB. She looked questioningly at Calen, not knowing where the problem was - then she realized that they did not have enough rooms made up.

"Welcome to the Forsaken Inn, "she began, "I am sorry to say, that the rooms we have are not of the quality they should be yet... There is only one more room, which is ready enough to live in. I can have bedding brought up. But I'm afraid You'll have to share it."

When the new comers did not openly object. She hurried upstairs to ready everything. Silently she went into the room she and Calen shared and took all the blankets and drapings hanging around. They would need them no longer. Then she went into the room where Nolarion slept and got the extra mattress that she knew had been left there....

In this fashion she had soon furnished the room next to Nolarion's with enough things to make it presentable. There were two 'beds' and a chair, serving as a table as well. But she was satisfied. Proudly she returned to Calen, telling him about her achievement and that she would go and watch Fea now and await him whenever he was ready.
elvish_angel015
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 03:45
He stepped up alongside Randiron, placing his hand on the shy elf's shoulder. "M'lady Elanor, this ellon at my side is our brilliant artist....note the painting at the end of the hall. I am the woodworker who is replacing the carvings throughout the Inn. As to whether we have a spare room for you, I can only say if you don't mind pitching in and helping with whatever work is needed while you are here, I'm sure we can find a space for you. At least I think we can." He looked around doubtfully, trying to recall how many of the rooms were still empty. "But I know who I can ask as she seems to have everyone organized very well so far."

Elanor quirked a smile, "I would more than happy to lend a hand where ever I can. I once used to live in an Inn but I used to help more around the stables, for I do so love horses." She looked at the painting to which Calen had pointed and said, "That is a beautiful work of art. You are most talented Randiron."

And then, bethinking himself of something, "Oh!" and berated himself soundly, "I'll go let Pb know you're here, too... That's Potbelly Hairyfoot - our resident Hobbit and the Master of this endeavor!" and hurried out of the room.

Elanor raised her eyebrows at the mention of the name before her smile widened. But then it fell as she wondered what happened of the Hairyfoot household. But that was something that she would have to ask PB about later. She wondered if PB would recognize her, for it had been a years since she had met him..

' How do you do ? I am known as PB and I'm one of the new owners of the Forsaken Inn. I'm afraid that we haven't quite finished preparing the Inn for guests , but I do believe that we have a couple of empty rooms and can accomodate you. Please sit your belongings by the door there and come one in and sit down. '

Elanor dropped her bag behind the door, no sense in anyone tripping over it and hurting themselves. She quietly followed the hobbit to the table, sitting down facing the other woman. In the twinkling of an eye, the table was ladden with food and PB was sitting with them.

As they began moving food from the platter to their plates , PB asked a question of the guests; 'What brings you two to our fine Inn today ?"

Elanor broke a small piece of the cheese, "I am on my way to Rivendell from the Havens, there is some business that needs taking care off."
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 08:39
When Mo finally woke it was late morning. Scolding herself, she made her way wearily to the wash basin hoping the cold water would brighten her senses.

Something niggled in the back of her mind but she dismissed it judging it to be the remnants of the dream she could scarce now remember.

She dipped her hands into the bowl wincing at the waters icy bite, then cupping her hands she lifted them and lowered her face reluctantly to the waters icy chill. The water had barely touched her skin when she whirled round in fright.

The baby! Where was she? Why had she not cried?

It was long past her feed time, Mo hurried to the crib fearing that some unseen foe had snuck in whilst she slept and had stolen her. She berated herself harshly, then remembered she had locked the door. Why then was there no sound from the crib?

Mo approached slowly, fearing what she might find, could it be she had so neglected the baby that it had died?

"Ohh No"

She shook her head trying to shake the dreaded thought from her mind. Slowly she knelt beside the cradle and with shaking hands lifted the fleece coverlet.

Tears sprang into her eyes as she lifted the tiny form, its eyes opened briefly then fluttered close. Mo could scarce feel its feeble heartbeat. Panic stricken Mo staggered to her feet eyes darting wildly around the room, looking for something, anything to save it.

Finally after the shocks first rush had subsided Mo stopped running in circles and sat holding the ailing infant close, pleading with it to live and promising she would find the answer.

She went at once to the fire and lit it, heat would help, it was cold, if she could warm it maybe it would survive. What should she do? She had already made the decision not to tell the others. Well she had tried with PB and look what had happened, no she must solve this herself.

How she wished PB had been willing to help. He was wise in the ways of the world, he would know how to raise a infant, but . . . but . . . he was not wise in this matter. She continued to dwell on the events with PB, regretting the way she had tried to reveal the secret. She could have prepared things better, if only . . . and when he had brought breakfast . . . she had been too stubborn.

Breakfast, breakfast? Why did that thought hang in her mind?

Mo pondered rising and pacing slowly, still holding the tiny infant, then it came to her PB had said something, something she had ignored then, but something which now clamored loudly.

Repeating it several times to herself Mo suddenly sprang into action, fetching the things she needed she first prepared and then added it to the feed.

She then quickly warmed it, dripping it onto her forearm to test its temperature.

"Now babe . . . now come on, see what Mo has for you, come on try . . . try . . . please,

She begged softly as she tried to force the edge of the spoon between the infants lips. At first it seemed either unwilling or unable to take the food, but just as Mo was beginning to fear it was too late she notice the foundling wrinkle its nose and sniff, then it opened its mouth and gulped greedily as Mo tipped a small drop of the new feed onto its tongue.

Soon it was feeding contentedly. Mo began to smile and as her relief grew she began to laugh. Whether he had meant to or not PB had helped her and had saved the infant life.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

After the babe had been fed, winded then settled into its clean crib, and with the fire burning in the hearth, Mo went at last to the kitchen. She was hungry very hungry, it was with some dismay that she found there were more new arrivals, it wasn't just that one was another Elf, but also that their meager supplies were dwindling fast.

She did not understand why the Elves did not go out to hunt, surely even they could see the remaining food would not last long.

Mo helped herself to some cubed meat, an onion, some carrots and a wedge of bread. She found a couple of small potatoes which found their way into her pocket. She refilled her jug with milk and then checking the kitchen was empty returned to her quarters.

As she opened the door she was greeted by a soft gurgle, the baby it seemed was recovered. Mo marveled at its strength. She put the food into her pantry and then went to gently rock the babe to sleep. Once she had achieved that she went outside careful to lock her door.

The rest of the morning and most of the afternoon Mo spent constructing two large gates, or rather she selected the timber cut it to size and laid it in the smithy, in the hopes one of the others might think to assemble them and that PB would make hinges and a catch for them.

Mo returned several times to check on and twice to feed her new charge. She also took Nog to the paddock and with hiss help began to haul rock and repair the perimeter wall. When the light began to fail she returned Nog to the stable, ensuring her was fed and watered.

Then, still unwilling to face anyone, Mo crept quietly into her quarters. Vegetable stew was soon cooking on the hearth. It was only whilst she was sitting waiting for her meal she felt again the twinges of sadness, and realize just how much she longed for the company of others. Or more honestly on one of the others.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 11:57
reycha watched the two women enter. It didn't look lie they were a threat or something, so she relaxed and sighed. Feeling sleepy and a little dizzy, Reycha leaned her hear against her hand.
The small fat hobbit hurried about. Hobbits were always so pleasant. Reycha had always liked them... She yawned.
They were talking about Rivendell... It was the place where elves dwelt. Or so she had heard. She had never met an elf before and she wondered how they would look... Kind of transparent? Or surrounded by light....
Her head slowly slipped down and rested on the table. The sedatives had done their job well, and the girl was finally asleep and resting.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 01:11
Feeling a bit... well... 'relieved' when Pb 'took over' talking to the new arrivals, Randiron went outside to (as promised) tend to their animals.

The donkey he placed in the stall next to Nog, and chuckled when the two first touched noses in greeting, and then ignored each other. The horse he led farther down, and fetched both some hay and water.

Thinking it over, the golden haired ellon realized there'd not been much time for more than that for anyone's mounts there ensconsed, so Randiron happily spent the rest of the night brushing, and checking, and quietly talking to them all. And, by dawn, he was finished, and giving his own Nauren a final pat, headed inside for breakfast. - After which, the elf determined to get the Dwarven wall done.

Yet... throughout the long day, there was no sign of Mo. Only hoping that he had done 'justice' to copying the artwork from the Dwarf's treasured book... and that he'd earn her approval the next time she was in the main Room of the Forsaken Inn, Randiron looked forward to sharing a pleasant dinner with his daughter and their ever-growing number of new friends...
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 07:35
Calen had dragged Alya in to meet the newcomers and then took her aside to ask if she could handle things alone. He would be happy to help but he wanted to talk to the woman found in the ditch first while she was still awake. He bent and kissed her forehead when she assured him she could manage. He went back to the kitchen where he had left Reycha still sat at the table looking bleary-eyed. When he returned to that room, he passed PB and the newcomers in the Hall, happily conversing as they devoured their meals. Stopping long enough to fill them in on the details of which room they would share and where it was, he continued into the kitchen, finding that Reycha had fallen asleep with her head on the table. Smiling, knowing that the herbs Alya had added to her tea was working its job, he was pleased to see that the woman was getting the rest she needed. However, the kitchen table was hardly the place for it. Reaching down, he scooped her up in his arms and carried her down the back hallway to the room they had made up for her. Laying her down on the bed, he pulled her high top shoes from her feet, pulled the blanket from the bottom of the bed over her and blew out the candle on the table next to the bed. He stood next to her bed for a moment, listening to her relaxed breathing. Whatever questions could wait until morning....she needed a good healthy deep sleep much more at the moment.

He took the back staircase to the second floor where most of the bedrooms had been prepared for their group, including his own and Alya's. Finding his way down the hallway, he entered their joint room and stopped short just inside the door. His eyes took in the room, stripped of the separating draperies with the two beds now side by side and Fea in her cradle at the far corner of the room. His eyes met Alya's, who was resting on one of the beds, propped up on pillows against the headboard. He smiled as his eyebrow rose. Becoming more serious, however, he asked,

"Are you sure of this, my love? We still have much to speak of before......."
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2005 11:10
Calen entered their joint room and stopped short just inside the door. His eyes took in the room, stripped of the separating draperies with the two beds now side by side and Fea in her cradle at the far corner of the room. His eyes met Alya's, who was resting on one of the beds, propped up on pillows against the headboard. He smiled as his eyebrow rose. Becoming more serious, however, he asked,

"Are you sure of this, my love? We still have much to speak of before......." "I am sure," she interrupted him. She looked deep into his eyes and smiled. "Calen," she continued. "This is not as easy as it looks, but it is what I want... please, don't hesitate too long and let me loose my courage. Come to bed my love..."

In Calen's eyes she could see his surprise and confusion. He seemed to be uncertain of what to do. She had to admit, that the whole thing had been a bit rash, but there seemed to be no point in waiting. And she did not want to risk loosing Calen - not under any circumstances.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: October 13, 2005 01:54
PB nodded at Randiron as the Elf artist left, heading for the stables. There was one job, seeing to the guests mounts , that would be well taken care of. The animals would be receiving excellent attention. No doubt Randiron was also going to finalize his 'Dwarf wall", decorated with some of teh ideas gleaned fro Mo's old volume.
All the time PB sat ther with the two guests , he was sure that their was something familiar about Elanor. Either PB had met her before, or he had met someone of her'type' before. PB had a bad habit of automatically classifying big people as to what 'type' of person he felt them to be; workmen, shopkeepers, soldiers, unsavory characters. artisans etc.; all big people, were remembered by him more for their 'type' than their looks. This usually worked out well for him as he was quick judge of character , and was seldom wrong with his judgments of the nature of the big people he met; but one consequence was that he tended to better remember personalities more than looks, possibly as a esult of having to look up at most big people and seldom seeing them eye to eye. From experience he found that it ws best not to bring up his lack of certainty of whether or not he had met someone before, and when it turned out that he actually had met them in the past, he blamed his lack of recogniton on poor eyesight, which was generally believed . With Elanor, he was sure to find out soon if he had met her before.
In a little while the two women were shown to their rooms and PB took his leave of them, deciding to go out to the forge and start work on the wedding gifts he and Mo had planned.
Stoking the fires and the heating and working of metals gave PB plenty of tme to think things over , and as he moulded and shaped the pewter mugs he was making, getting them ready for mounting the stones Mo was donating; he thought long and hard about Mo's new preoccupation. with this strange youngling. It was still very small and it would , in all likelihood, be several years before it attained a size that would make it a danger, and by that time, he ws sure that Mo would have had to reveal its existence to the others. The Forsaken's Elves would prabably be more familiar with the younglings relatives, and the risks of raisingit and would by no doubt know what should be done. It was also just sossble tat raising the youngling away from it relatives cold eliminate from it some of the nastier characteristics shown by its kin. By the time PB was finshed at te forge for the day, and a set of 4 pewter mugs were ready for the mounting of the stones, he came to the decision that he would tentatively support the Dwarf in her attempt to raise this youngling, at least until those who knew more than he , about this infant and its kin, decided whether or not it was safe to raise such an indfant here at the Forsaken.
He would tell Mo of his decision in the morning, as it was now starting to get dark , and he didn't want to knock on her door and awaken the youngling.

[Edited on 15/10/2005 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: October 15, 2005 02:34
It was late, despite a hard day working on the dry stone wall Mo could find no sleep, she had laid in bed trying to quieten her troubled heart but it would not be stilled and so although she was weary she went up into the kitchen, she would make herself some tea, perhaps she could find some of the sleep herbs the healer used.

She entered the small room that served as a healing room, but after several attempts could not decide which bottle contained the correct mixture. Trust Elves not to label things clearly.

For a while Mo sat despondently, sipping at the mug of tea and trying once more to 'see' a solution to her problems. It was without realizing she wandered into the main room, the smell of fresh paints jolting her back to reality. She almost cursed but the words remained unspoken, her attention drawn to the Dwarven wall.

Mo crept forward, the oil lamp casting a soft glow upon the surrounding area. Mo's eyes grew wider and wider, she stopped moving and carefully set her mug on the floor, her hand no longer having the strength to hold it.

Mo stood completely still, there in front of her the Dwarves worked, she could hear the strike of their hammers, a rhythmic beat, like the pulse of her own heart, smells came to her, the damp rock, granite, the sweat of the workers, the wax of the candles, even the singe of hair caught by the candle flame.

As she became more engrossed she could hear their voices, strong earthy tones that stirred her memories and soon she was speaking the ancient Dwarven tongue, tho she did not understand the words. Slowly the words joined the rhythm of the hammer blows and the whisperings became a song.

Mo began to move, slowly, falteringly at first, her legs reluctant, still bound by the tiredness of the hard labor earlier, but she would not be denied. Mo danced as she had when as a small child she had sought to amuse herself whilst her father worked. Now she was totally immersed memories replacing the reality of the inn. More than that she was among her own, once more there were family who loved her . . .

Mo had no idea how long she remained lost in her past, slowly the tiredness crept back and Mos steps slowed to stillness, her head grew muzzy and the music faded. Mo blinked confused, trying to hold them, the sounds, the smells, the visions, but they faded until only the paint on the wall and the soft light remained.

She woke later, stiff from lying on the floor, puzzled she reached out for the tea, one mouthful of its cold liquid shocking her senses. Sitting up Mo glanced around, what was she doing here? Why wasn't she in her own room? She turned to look again at the Dwarven wall, had she really spent the night with them?

Mo smiled softly. Yes she had. it was then Mo realized that she wasn't alone, someone else was in the room. Rubbing her eyes Mo peered into the gloom . . .

"Randiron?"
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 16, 2005 06:21
A night's rest and Randiron was refreshed from his recent labors... in particular, his Dwarven Wall. So careful he'd been in painting it...

Rising when the sun was barely awake, though, the golden-haired ellon knew he'd two more walls to complete. Today would be the Hobbit one - and he was much less worried about how Pb would like it, since that drawing had been already 'approved'. A bright, sunny day in the Shire would be forthcoming... and with scenes of the Hafling's favorite activities to burst forth from his mind's eye, on elven-silent feet, Randiron smiled to himself as he hurried downstairs to get an early start.

All was quiet, but as he came in to the main room, the elf stopped to see Mo just sitting up.
it was then Mo realized that she wasn't alone, someone else was in the room. Rubbing her eyes Mo peered into the gloom . . .

"Randiron?"

"Mo?" the ellon's footsteps quickened, and gracefully sat on the floor next to the young she-Dwarf. "You didn't sleep here all night did you?" Randiron asked in his quiet voice. "Is everything all right? - Would you like some hot tea?"

Seeing Mo glance at the Dwarven Wall again, the elf looked at her hesitantly, and then wrapped his arms around his knees to once more critically observe his own work. - But, what he was *looking* at, was not the 'painting'. No... what Randiron was 'seeing'... was what Mo was still working on in the cellar.

"You know..." the ellon said softly, and turned questioning blue eyes on the Dwarf, "Something like that carving you're doing would look good in here. Over there, maybe," and Randiron pointed at the left-hand corner of the wall. "A... real example of Dwarven-skill, perhaps? - To go along with the representation of it. - In fact..." Turning around to gaze at his painting of Imladris, Randiron shook his head sadly. "So many years... and so short a time," he whispered, thinking of his dead wife.

Continuing on, and a bit... 'shyly', "I was wondering, Mo... if you could - maybe - do a carving of me and Wolfsong? - A 'father-daughter' one? She's a bit like you, Mo - did you know that? Drauglíriel grew up in a village that thought all elves were 'bad'. She was even afraid that I'd reject her!" and Randiron shook his head in disbelief. "- I've sketched her a few times - and even done one with a 'self-portrait', so we're 'together'. - But, it would be nice to have a something of the both of us. - Would you be willing to do that?"

BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 01:17
"Come to bed, my love."

Calen stood for long moments, thinking. His heart wanted to take her into his arms and hold her closely to it, but his mind rebelled. Yes, it was true. The elves married by their physical joining; all other ceremonies and festivities were but added joy. Yet was she really ready? There was so much she needed to face, so much of the future that he could see and she had not even looked at yet. So many choices yet for her to make. Finally, he took a step forward, then another, until he stood next to the bed where she lay, so much love in her eyes shining up at him. He sat next to her on the edge of the bed, gazing at her beautiful face. His hand reached out and his fingers stroked her cheek. Leaning forward, his lips met hers softly, gently for a long moment.

"Alya, you are my love, my life, my heart. Without you, I would willingly leave this earth for there would be nothing left for which to stay. You do know this, do you not, me love?" He could not take his eyes from hers. "Yet, I wish not to rush you into anything. I am torn. I want you to be my wife but I want you to come to me knowingly. Knowing what that means to you, to Fea, to me."

He took her into his arms and lowered his head until his lips met hers once again. His hands stroked her arms, her hair, her cheeks, her back, sliding over her as though finding the place that would be their final home. He felt no resistance. On the contrary, her response was as great as his feeling for her. His love for her overwhelmed him as he pulled her closer to him. Laying her back on the soft pillows, he removed his heavy tunic and his boots, leaving him with only his soft shirt and trousers in place. He lay beside her, drawing her into his arms again. His mouth covered hers, as he kissed her, whispering into her mouth his love and adoration. But it was not just words that spoke those words. Gently, tenderly, his hands, his body, his mind all demonstrated to her how he felt, slowly washing away her fears.

Throughout the long night, the two discovered what life together would be like for them. When the sun rose, there was no one who could ever separate them again, and no way they did not understand fully what their future held. At that moment, Fea cried out, being wet and hungry. Calen sat up and laughed, remarking with some humor that, "lying in the cradle is what our future holds, being wakened at early hours of the day when we, her parents, would much prefer to lie abed." He kissed Alya, smiling at her. "And yes, you heard me correctly, my love....I said 'her parents'. She belongs to both of us now."
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 08:24
"Come to bed, my love." Alya had not known what kind of a world would open to her with those words. She had been very, very nervous and just before Calen moved a small part of her wanted to take it back.

"Alya, you are my love, my life, my heart. Without you, I would willingly leave this earth for there would be nothing left for which to stay. You do know this, do you not, me love?" He could not take his eyes from hers. "Yet, I wish not to rush you into anything. I am torn. I want you to be my wife but I want you to come to me knowingly. Knowing what that means to you, to Fea, to me."

But when he took her into his arms there was no doubt left, and no fear remained. Calen showed her a world of visions and pleasures - things she had never dreamed of and Alya willingly gave herself to him with every fiber of her being. In visions she saw the past, the present and the future. Nothing concerning Calen or herself was left unrevealed and for Alya it was also the last cleansing of her past.

Whatever had happened - she knew it was of no importance anymore. She remembered - remembered her childhood, her language, her traditions- her mother and her father... and of course Nolarion. All her pain turned into love and when the sun rose there was only love and happiness left.

At that moment, Fea cried out, being wet and hungry. Calen sat up and laughed, remarking with some humor that, "lying in the cradle is what our future holds, being wakened at early hours of the day when we, her parents, would much prefer to lie abed." He kissed Alya, smiling at her. "And yes, you heard me correctly, my love....I said 'her parents'. She belongs to both of us now."

Alya smiled, kissed Calen again and got up to tend to Fea. When the little one had been changed she took her to bed and nursed her, looking lovingly at Fea and at Calen. Her eyes had a new light in them, a new quality of love and the hope of a new and precious little knowledge. "Yes," she confirmed, "We are her parents." Then she laughed - a bright and merry laugh, which had seldom come out of her mouth in the past years. "You know though that it means you will share the work as well as the pleasure... " she grinned at him, "...meaning you will get up next time she cries and change her....You know how to change diapers?" She smiled at Calen.

When Fea was finally satisfied, Alya lay her on the bed between her and Calen and smiled up at her love. Her eyes showing the complete happiness which made her whole being glow.

[Edited on 19/10/2005 by Liswen]
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: October 23, 2005 02:59
Would you be willing to do that?"

Randiron the great Elven artist was asking her to not just sculpt but to carve a likeness of himself and the healer, his daughter. For a few moments Mo sat trying to take it in, she had never considered her work as good, her reasons for carving only that she enjoyed working the stone, all the same she knew enough of Randiron to feel he had chosen carefully and yes, yes she felt honoured to be seen as worthy of such a special piece.

Reaching out to take the Elf's fair hand, she looked into his fair face and for the first time was not afraid,

"I would consider it an honor"

She chose the words carefully, befitting such a moment remaining as calm as she could only her eyes sparking and the slight tremble of her hand hinting at the cavocade of delight she inwardly felt.

She stood, once more gazing back at the Dwarven wall, and smiled softly as she imagined them smiling with pride, finally she would do something that spoke of her dwarven heritage.

"Let us share a drink,"

Mo surprising Randiron with actually seeking his company, I shall need to study you both before I start. Mo stared intently for a good few moment, quite what she was thinking Randiron could not guess, in truth she was only teasing pretending she would be watching as a hawk a rabbit, but Randiron held her gaze until she was the one feeling embarrassed,

"Now lets see what do we have"

A"le, no its too early for that, water hmmm no, I think not ummm"

"Tea"

Randiron suggested thinking Mo had forgotten the most ovious choice

"Oh yes please"

Mo grinned impishly as she pressed two cups into his hand.

BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 03:30
Calen lay with his back against the pillows, his arm around Alya and her head tucked between his shoulder and his chest and Fea curled up in his lap. The sun was just beginning to rise above the windowsill and the breeze blowing through the window was soft and warm for so late in the season. Calen spoke softly in Alya's ear, "I do not ever recall in all my years being as happy as I am in this moment. You have filled all the empty spaces in my heart and my mind, my dearest wife." Chuckling slightly, he added, "There is only one place you have not filled though." As he felt her stiffen and begin to turn to see his face, he finished, "My stomach. I can't ever recall being this hungry, either." He began to laugh openly as he lifted her off his shoulder and stood next to the bed, seaching for the clothes he had tossed around the night before. Pulling pieces of his and some of hers, which he tossed in her direction, he began to pull them on. "Come, my love, let's find our way to the kitchen."

Dressed, with both their hair neat, tidy and braided in elvish fashion, Calen hoisted Fea to his shoulder and with his arm around Alya's waist, they both made their way down the stairs to the main hallway. Sitting in the middle of the floor sat Randiron and Mo, both seemingly enjoying a quiet cup of tea. Calen grasped Alya's waist to stop her, wondering how they would make it to the kitchen without disturbing the two. "Amazing," Calen whispered. As his eyes were searching for a way around them, Fea chose this moment to cry out a complaint that she too was hungry. "Shh, little one, shh," Calen whispered but it was too late. They had attracted the attention of the two tea drinkers.

"Good morning, Mo. Randiron," he said cheerfully. "You are both early risers, too, I see. Is there more hot water in the kitchen as I could use a cup of that tea as well." He began to move towards the kitchen, pulling Alya, who was smiling at the two, along with him. "Come, let us not disturb them," he whispered, not even thinking that Randiron could hear him as well as if he were speaking aloud. They made it to the kitchen, both laughing like children. "Can you imagine that? Who would have believed that one of us could tame the suspicious dwarf? I wonder how he did it." They poured their tea and sat at the table, talking and talking, their words running over each others. There was a lifetime to catch up with and they seemed to want to do it in one morning. Even Fea seemed to feel their happiness as she too bubbled with laughter and glee.

As the sun rose higher in the sky, others began to join them in the kitchen. Noldarion was the first and after his morning greeting, he looked at both of them closely...then began to smile knowingly. "I am happy for you both," he said.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 02:40
Calen spoke softly in Alya's ear, "I do not ever recall in all my years being as happy as I am in this moment. You have filled all the empty spaces in my heart and my mind, my dearest wife." Chuckling slightly, he added, "There is only one place you have not filled though." Listening to her dear husband Alya became immediatly alert when he started to voice an uncontent, but relaxed when he continued. "My stomach. I can't ever recall being this hungry, either." He began to laugh openly and Alya had to giggle. "Come, my love, let's find our way to the kitchen." "Oh, do we have to?" she said she got up reluctantly "I wish I could hex you something to eat and we would not have to leave this lovely bed!" When she had gotten up however she giggled again and took Calen's hand, spinning around him with wild joy before she took up her dress and put it on.

Dressed, with both their hair neat, tidy and braided in elvish fashion, Calen hoisted Fea to his shoulder and with his arm around Alya's waist, they both made their way down the stairs to the main hallway. Sitting in the middle of the floor sat Randiron and Mo, both seemingly enjoying a quiet cup of tea. Calen grasped Alya's waist to stop her, wondering how they would make it to the kitchen without disturbing the two. "Amazing," Calen whispered. As his eyes were searching for a way around them, Fea chose this moment to cry out a complaint that she too was hungry. "Shh, little one, shh," Calen whispered but it was too late. They had attracted the attention of the two tea drinkers. Alya could not help but giggle again - why she thought do I behave so foolishly? But she had no time to think about it further because Calen dragged her onwards, speaking to Mo and Randirion.

"Come, let us not disturb them," he whispered, not even thinking that Randiron could hear him as well as if he were speaking aloud. They made it to the kitchen, both laughing like children. "Can you imagine that? Who would have believed that one of us could tame the suspicious dwarf? I wonder how he did it." Alya stopped laughing for a moment and said, rather seriously all of a sudden "Well, art can be a bridge..." Then she turned around and motioned for Calen to hand Fea to her. "If you don't mind to get the food, I will satisfy this little maiden first." Fea in her arms, she watched as Calen made tea and wondered again how she had deserved such a handsome husband.

When Fea had finished eating they poured their tea and sat at the table, talking and talking, their words running over each others. There was a lifetime to catch up with and they seemed to want to do it in one morning. Even Fea seemed to feel their happiness as she too bubbled with laughter and glee.

As the sun rose higher in the sky, others began to join them in the kitchen. Nolarion was the first and after his morning greeting, he looked at both of them closely...then began to smile knowingly. "I am happy for you both," he said. "Thanks brother," Alya was close to happy tears now and impulsively ran over to Nolarion and hugged him. When she wanted to speak, Nolarion gently put his finger on her mouth. "Later," he said and exchanged his sister for his niece.

The house began to stir and bustle with energy and before they knew it most of the other people living at the forsaken inn had gathered in the kitchen to get some breakfast.
"Calen," Alya whispered into her husband's ear "should we not set a date for the celebration? We should not put it off too long..."
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 11:36
It was a bright ray of sun that made Reycha open her eyes. Another morning. With a sigh, she looked around. She was in the room she remembered from the night. But she could not recall returning to it. She had been sitting in the kitchen, thankfully drinking the tea and feeling the hot liquid slowly filling her empty stomack, and she had been feeling sleepy... Had somebody carried her back?
With a jolt, she sat up to check her clothing. But her head went spinning around, and she had to lay down again. When the dizziness passed, Reycha let her hands slip over her blouse. All the buttons were closed, and her skirt was also pulled over he legs. With a relieved sigh, the girl tried to sit up again. Slowly, she made it, then continued standing up from the bed. Her weakness almost won her, but Reycha stubbornly made herself walk out of the room. The shoes lay forgotten on the floor...
Step by step, she walked to the kitchen, following the route she vaguely remembered from yesterday. The girl was leaning against the walls for a support to stay on her own legs. As she neared the kitchen, she heard merry voices, and hesitated. Suddenly, she felt as if she did not belong there, so she stopped and stood for a moment wondering if she should turn back.

(OOC - just so that this post does not surprise you, Reycha has not eaten anything for four days now, if I have not lost the count...)
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 11:33
PB got up, dressed, and headed for the kitchen . He needed to have a cup of tea and perhaps a bite to eat, to steal his nerves before he told Mo of his decision to support her, at least tentatively. as he approached the kitchen he saw the new girl, Reycha was her name .standing in the hall . She looked rather weak , standing there with a questioning look on her face.
Not one fror sublety PB took the Bull by the Horns; "Why Reycha, it's happy I am to see you up and about. were you waiting for someone to invite you in to the kitchen?T hat isn't necessary here at all, but I'll invite you in right now ."

PB immediately bowed and addressed the waif-like girl; "As a member of the staff of the Forsaken Inn, I formally invite you to join me in the dining room for a meal and some tea." He then took Reycha by the arm, held her wrist and linked elbows, and with the most formal steps he could muster, he escorted herthrough the kitchen and into the dining room.
While sitting Reycha with some of the other guests, at a table near to the kitchen door; PB noticed Randiron sitting with Mo and apparently deep in discussion.. He'd have to wait a bit to tell Mo of his decision.

Addressing Reycha once again , he smiled and said ; 'You wait right here and have a nice chat with these fine people, while I go get us something to eat." Before she could say a word either in protest or to offer to serve herself, he added; "You are a guest at this Inn, and you are certainly in need of putting some flesh on your bones. A pretty girl like you shouldn't be so thin and I aim to do something about that!."
Thinking that she might have problem with putting anything substantial into her stomache after what appeared, at least in a Hobbit's viewpoint, to be months of starvation, he added; ' I'll start us off with porridge and milk, some fresh fruit, and a couple of mugs of tea' when we are finished with that I'll add something hearty to our plates."

PB left the astonished girl at the table, and proceeded tothe kitchen to fix their meals. On the way he caught Mo's eyes , and winked at her, as a way of letting her know that things were fine.

[Edited on 27/10/2005 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 11:05
"Now lets see what do we have"

A"le, no its too early for that, water hmmm no, I think not ummm"

"Tea"

Randiron suggested thinking Mo had forgotten the most ovious choice

"Oh yes please"

Mo grinned impishly as she pressed two cups into his hand.

Answering Mo's grin, Randiron took a grateful sip of his hot drink and then settled back on to the floor.

'Honored' the young she-Dwarf had said of accepting his request, which had made the tall elf redden slightly.

He saw, but did not speak to Calen and Alya when they came through, and ignored the giggles they heard. Then Reycha... and PB... but still, Randiron didn't move.

Indeed, the golden-haired elf was listening interestedly to Mo's replies to a number of questions he'd asked... in regards to the Dwarf's preferred stone to use for carving. "I've seen some stone-work," Randiron had said, "And found it fascinating. I've not tried carving before... I suppose I'm happy with my paints and charcoals," and the ellon had chuckled at himself. - Yet, 'art' - in any form, was his love - and he loved learning new things about it...

"But, once, I visited the Hall of Dwarrowdelf in Moria - though it was centuries ago. What I saw there was truly impressive. But, what do you like to work with best, Mo? Granite? Marble? Is a 'soft' stone better than a hard one? Do any particular 'shapes' lend themselves to one rather than the other? Which is easier to work with? - Or is that just a matter of the individual stone-cutter's 'opinion'?"

[Edited on 28/10/2005 by gwendeth]
ithillinde
Creator of Reality
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 12:11
(since not much time seems to have gone by since my last post, i'll just pick it up from there )

Calle sat at the table with PB and the she-elf, her eyes flickered here and there taking in all the elves that seemed to have suddenly sprung up everywhere. Although she was used to working in inns, never before had she really seen an elf up close before. They were more beautiful then the tales about them told and she could not stop staring from one to the other with wide eyes. She did not speak much about herself during the merry meal that she was sharing with the other two.

After she finished eating, Calle excused herself and went to check on Mori, that stubborn mule better not have kicked at anyone, she thought to herself. When she did not see him outside right away she panicked for a moment but then saw the stable a second later and figured that’s where the tall elf had taken Mori. When she found him inside the dark stable Calle saw that he was well taken care of and seemingly happier then she had ever seen him. Even in the gloomy darkness, his coat of course hair shone like silk. Rubbing his nose she whispered softly into his ear.

In an empty stall next to Mori, Calle found her cart stored neatly and its contents completely undisturbed. She smiled to herself again, this seemed as good a place as any to try and start a new life over. Everyone seemed very nice that she had met so far… perhaps, she could stay for awhile.

Night fell quickly and Calle took the room that was offered to her gratefully. She plopped down upon the mattress and fell fast asleep still in her clothes.

By baker’s habit, Calle awoke well before dawn, the night’s stars still were twinkling sleepily in the velvet sky. She washed quickly, then dressed in fresh clothes and tied her hair up on top of her head in a knot. As she made her way down to the kitchen she saw that no one else was awake. Stoking the dim pile of coals in the stove she had a merry fire going in no time. Making herself familiar with the pantry and all the cookware she set about making a grand breakfast.

Calle went out to her cart and unloaded several bags of fine milled flour and her best sugar. Soon the kitchen was filled with the smell of rising bread, freshly fried donuts, biscuits, pancakes, cream gravy, sizzling sausages and eggs. The counters and the huge table were bursting with food. She was just mixing together chocolate frosting for the donuts when everyone seemed to converge onto the kitchen at the same time.

Brushing a wayward lock of hair off her face with a flour covered hand, Calle looked at everyone as they all looked in surprise at her.

“Good morning everyone.” she said brightly, her face slightly colored pink from not only the heat from the oven, but also a bit from embarrassment. “I hope you’re all hungry.”
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 03:01
OOC: Okay, we seem to have everyone on hand for breakfast....and all on the same day, same place, same time....so we're all on the same page now. I'm going to make a list here of everyone I can account for, just so we all know who everyone is. If I err in any way (or the Valar curse me, leave anyone out), correct my error at the top of your next post, please.
PB- Hobbit
Mo- Dwarf
Randiron (also Wolfsong) -elf
Alya (also Noldarion) - elf
Calen - elf
Reycha - human
Elenath - elf
Elanor - elf
Calle - human
NPC's - Rangers from Bree
Is that everyone??? This post it going to have everyone within speaking distance from one another in the kitchen. It is early morning. Can we please try and keep track of where everyone is and the time of day from now on.

IC: Calen and Alya, arm in arm had passed Randiron and Mo, sitting on the floor of the great central hallway, talking about 'art', of any kind, it appeared..painting and carving seemed to be the center of their interest at the moment. In the hallway to the kitchen, they ran into Noldarion, who was the first to look straight into their eyes and recognize that their union had taken place. His wishing them well added to their happiness.

As they passed the entrance to the dining hall, they waved at PB and Recha, who were both sitting at a table drinking tea with a platter of PB's favorite breakfast foods in front of them. The two elf maidens, Elenath and Elanor had apparently joined them and the four were chatting with each other happily. Even Reycha looked less pale and her eyes carried less of the pain and confusion they were filled with the night before.

Calen stopped for a moment at the doorway, leaning in and calling to Elenath. "You have not forgotten that I need a great favor from you, have you? Perhaps after breakfast, we could talk, if you have the time. He smiled, glancing at Alya and then back at Elenath, raising his brows and winking.

He shifted Fea on his shoulder and took Alya's hand, heading for the kitchen, for by this time, he had begun to smell the delicious aromas wafting from that direction. As they entered the kitchen, they confronted the newest arrival, the mortal who had come during the rainy night with her donkey and cart. She had apparently been doing a bit of baking....actually, more than a bit. The huge table in the middle of the room was covered with trays and plates full of freshly baked breads, fried sweets, gravy and sizzling bacon. Calen stopped in the doorway, his eyes wide with wonder and surprise. The woman looked up at the pair with the small infant.

“Good morning everyone.” she said brightly, her face slightly colored pink from not only the heat from the oven, but also a bit from embarrassment. “I hope you’re all hungry.”

"Has PB lost his sense of smell? I cannot believe he is not here already, devouring everything in sight. May the Valar bless you, woman. For I was only recently telling my wife, my very new wife," he smiled at Alya as he took joy in the use of that word, wife, "that I was starving. PB will have a battle on his hands if he tries to beat me to this feast." He looked up from the display of marvels at the woman herself. "I don't believe we have met yet. My name is Calenhenevor and this is my new wife, Alya ... and this small bit of delight is our daughter Fea. We found each other here at the Forsaken Inn, a misnomer if ever there was one, and are helping PB get it up and running again. I think, ma'am, if you need a place to stay for a while, he would most happily give you the job of baker and chef." He had picked up a small round roll with white icing slathered over the top of it, and was already biting into it as he waited for her response.
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2005 07:37
[OOC: Eeks. Been away for so long. *bishes head into wall*]

The sun rose once more, and Elenath awoke to a never-before-seen (or smelt.) hodgepodge of smells wafting into the small room she was occupying. Rising and stiffling a yawn, she changed, locked the door of her room behind her and made her way down to breakfast (passing Mo and Randiron in the hallways, deep in avid discussion) to find two new arrivals – another elf, who introduced herself as Elanor, and a mortal woman (who looked like she came from Rohan), who had obviously been responsible for the explosion of aromas that had assaulted Elenath as she descended the stairs. The enticing scents of freshly-baked bread, with an undercurrent of frying sweets and bacon sizzling in the pan, permeated the whole house. The woman looked quite busy and happy to be on her own, so Elenath gave her a miss, deciding there would be plenty of time to get acquainted later anyway.

She found PB and Reycha in the dining hall, eating from a large assortment of cakes and rolls and the like. Reycha already looked a lot better from last night, though still a little pale, and she was obviously ravenous, as could be seen from the almost furious way in which she was devouring her breakfast. Elenath accepted their invitation to join them, and sat down to eat. She hadn’t gotten very far when Calen and Ayla paused by the door of the dining hall, arm in arm, and she recognised instantly the look of a married couple.

Calen stopped for a moment at the doorway, leaning in and calling to Elenath. "You have not forgotten that I need a great favor from you, have you? Perhaps after breakfast, we could talk, if you have the time. He smiled, glancing at Alya and then back at Elenath, raising his brows and winking.

She nodded, returning the smile. “Of course I have the time after breakfast.”

“And congratulations!” she called after their retreating forms as they continued to the kitchens.
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: October 30, 2005 11:30
Sitting in the dark Mo spoke in earnest to Randiron, so intent on their discussions that when the newcomer passed them they did not acknowledge her and she likewise was it seems unaware of them.

Mo described in detail each stone, telling of their properties their ease of carve and their suitability for the task in hand, eventually she concluded that there were perhaps only two stone types that would fit so important a task, alabaster or marble, she was just explaining where such things might be found when she was interrupted by the arrival of Calen and Alya. She watched as they passed by pleased that they made no attempt to join her and Randiron.

She noted them but trying to reclaim her line of thought Mo backtracked a little and then realizing this she blushed,

"Well as I was sa . . ."

PB passed them with him the woman Reycha, Mo frowned. He was with someone else. Her heart sank, she had hoped he might have at least said good morning, but he passed quickly by and headed into the dining room, through the door Mo could see them. PB had seated the woman and disappeared into the kitchen. There had been days when she had shared her breakfast with the Hobbit, it hurt to think there would be no more.

Sighing deeply Mo tried to continue but as the others continued to file past into the dining room Mo found she had forgotten what it was she had been trying to say, her attention was drawn back to the dinning room, PB had returned to the table and it was with some alarm that Mo noted Elves had joined him and they seemed to be deep in discussion.

When PB winked it startled Mo, why had he done that, she looked at Randiron, and back at PB, two of the Bree rangers were now also deep in conversation and it seemed to Mo that some great event was about to unfold. Mo cringed inwardly Had PB betrayed her? Was this all a trap, Randiron distracting her whilst the others plotted to rob her of the infant.

Stiffening Mo turned her attention to Randiron once more, she could detect no hint of betrayal in him, perhaps he is unaware, maybe their meeting had afforded the others an opportunity they had not expected.

Alright then, Mo would believe Randiron had truly meant his request, but now Mo knew she had to get away, but what could she use to cover her going.

"I will leave the Inn today . . . to find the right stone for this carving, and before you offer . . . no . . . I will go alone for to find such stone as to do justice to this task is part of a Dwarves nature and . . ."

Mo rambled on for a few moments before slipping hurriedly through the dining room, hugging close to the near wall she tried to pass unseen, however one of the Rangers stood in front of her and forced her to halt momentarily.

Mo glanced around then pushed past the ranger, he uttered something about being a 'typical rude Dwarf' but Mo ignored him, she almost froze again when she found Randiron and Alya in the kitchen, however to her relief they were more interested in the newly baked foods than in her and she slipped past them and hurried on down into the cellars.

By the time she reached her room her heart was thumping loudly and her hands shook so much it took several attempts to open the locked door, finally she slipped inside and immediately began to gather the few treasured possessions she had.

She stopped to feed and change the infant adding her crib and a few good skins to the pile, finally she retrieved the last of the few gemstones and made ready to go. She had already started for the back door when she suddenly remembered Randiron's gift, returning to the shrine she took the picture from its frame and carefully rolled it and placed it with her belonging.

She made one quick dash to the pantry, taking a churn of milk some meats and a new baked loaf that had been left there to cool, once she was sure there was no-one watching she slipped back into the cellar collected her belongings then lifting the infant made a final farewell to the Inn.

She went at once to the stable, for a moment she toyed with the idea of taking the small donkey cart, but deciding against it she loaded her things into two baskets these then attached to a harness that Nog now wore, into one pannier she placed feed for Nog and herself, into the other her things. Tying the crib to her back she hoisted the infant into her arms and set off.

They were heading for the Misty Mountains . . .
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2005 04:35
Confused by the Hobbit's energy, Reycha allowed him to guide her through the kitchen into the dining room and to be seated by the table. She could barely believe the amount of different food that miraculously appeared in front of her. Dying to grab the first apple on the table, the girl put a major effort to keep her hands tightly clasped together in her lap. Only after the Hobbit invited her to begin the breakfast, did she finally timidly reach for a slice of bread. A few shy bites, and her hunger awoke in her stomack. Reycha ate ravenously, putting aside all the thoughts about her behavior or anything like that... Until she could eat no more.

Reycha finally looked around her. So many people! She felt the wish to hide.... Among them several were very tall, very beautiful. Now she recognized two... three of them. She had met them before. A tall, dark-haidred man, a dark-haired woman and a red-haired one, with a baby in her arms. Baby..... This thought disturbed her, but she chased it away. Her eyes turned again towards the man. It was the most handsome man she had ever seen... She would even say - beautiful... He suddenly looked at her and smiled. Reycha hurried to hide her eyes, but then looked back. His look was so kind... Reycha could almost see a light in his eyes. The red-haired woman was obviously his wife. They looked so happy together...
Recha sat at the table, her chin resting in her hand, looking at everybody in the room. Her eyes fell on a very handsome blonde man. She had seen this one, too... He did not look her way. He had been talking to a dwarf, but the short, bearded beeing had disappeared, so he was just sitting alone, thinking about something... Reycha wondered what it could be... But she just took the rare pleasure of watching a beautiful person without being noticed herself...
In the Realm of Ulmo
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: November 02, 2005 03:16
a short time after the meal was finishing;

PB was a bit concerned. Mo had left the room quite a while ago, but his responsibilities as a 'host" made him feel the need to stay and socialize, especially with the shy quiet , underfed girl, Reycha. Finally , after he was sure that she at the very least had a good meal in her and that everyone was almost talked out, he made his excuses and headed over to Randiron, hoping to find out what Mo and Randiron had discussed.

'I see that you had quite a conversation with Mo'; he stated; she seems to be getting over her fear of elves, or at least her fear of you. Perhaps it is your artwork that is relaxing her.?'
Randiron agreed with the possibility and then mentioned that Mo had a surprised look on her face when PB winked at her, and suddenly changed the topic to her desire to search out some stone for carving.
After hearing that PB said; 'Wait right here; I'll be right back;' and headed off to Mo's rooms in a bit of a panic, concerned that she may have somehow misinterpreted her wink as an assumption that PB thought that she was telling Randiron about her secret infant.
Mo's door was unlocked , and PB stepped inside. Immediately he could see that Mo had rifled through her belongings and that her pack and the infant's sleeping box/cradle were now missing. PB then rushed out to the stable and found that Nog was also gone. Mo had been here long enough to know the sources for good carving stones,and she wouldn't have needed the cradle just to go bring back a stone, so PB was now convinced that she had left the Inn for good- before anyone could take the infant from her and possibly destroy it.
In a panic PB ran back into the Inn and a sat down across from the bewildered Randiron, who had busied himself with some drawings , with a huff.

"Randiron"; he said between gulps of air;"I don't think that Mo has merely gone on an expedition to gather carving stones! I think that she has left the Inn for good , and that it is because of me that she did so."
"I'll explain, but to do so I have to reveal a secret that I swore I wouldn't reveal; I don't like doing so but I value her safety above my own reputation. I fear that Mo may end up in jeopardy because of this secret and I need some advice so I can decide what to do." Mo then swore Randiron not to do anything about what he had to say and then he went on to explain about Mo's infant and PB's grave concerns about it and what could happen when it matured.

PB then explained that he had decided to allow Mo to decide when to reveal the secret , figuring that the infant would rapidly become impossible to hide and that it wouldn't be long at all before Mo had no choice but to reveal it's nature. He had winked at Mo to let her know that he was now on her side, but she must have misinterpreted the gesture , and she had now fled the Inn, taking the infant with her.

Because he felt that it was because of him not supporting Mo that she left. PB was going to pack up a small bag of supplies, track her down , and see if he could convince her to return to the Inn. He left unsaid the fact that he had no tracking abilities whatsoever and didn't have a clue how he would find her.

[Edited on 3/11/2005 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
CoNFuSeD_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 03, 2005 08:33
(OOC: my first rp post ever, so be gentle plz, if you have any suggstions, pm me, or put it in ooc of this story)

Arkaniel was following the road to the west from Rivendell. He was planning on going to the Shire, for he was very interested in seeing all the locations that were of importance during the War of the ring, some years ago. He had already seen Edoras, the impressive sietch of Helms Deep, Dunharg, the dark and scary entrace of the Dim Hole, the stretched and breathtaking gardens of Isengard, the stunning, but now deserted, forest of Lothlorien, the Caradhas pass, the ruined entrance of Moria and just a week ago Rivendell.

He passed the remnants of Amon Sul the day before yesterday. The Red Book said that there, the fate of the free people was nearly decided, in favor of the darkness if it had not been for Aragorn, king Elessar, who arrived just in time to hunt the Nazgul away from the ringbearer. He was very curious about the Shire, no one in Gondor really seemed to know how it was there, everyone was content enough with the splendid pipeleaf imported from there. As a matter of fact, he felt like smoking a pipe right now...

a good hour later, with Jead'n, his war horse, saddled again, he continued his journey, this time with other things on his mind. His father was still outrageous he had run from home to join the military in Minas Tirith when the call for aid in the latest hour came. He still remembered the recruiter saying he could do nothing with some youngling that thought he could fight. He surprised the man greatly (and himself,too as a matter of fact) when he showed great skill with the bow. He was even so good, he might have joined the rangers, the problem being he was not from Ithilien. So he was placed in an archer company defending the great gate of Minas Tirith.
He was eager for battle at that time, but he never expected that battle would be so horrible. when the huge mass of orcs and evil men appeared his 1st thought was to run away. One of the veterans, rewarded with the rare Numenorean bows, the best Men-made bows ever, from the time of the last alliance, gave him a morale boost by his comforting words, not that there was much else choice then to stand and fight. Hours after the assault, driven back to the 4th gate, he had shot all his arrows lost his bow and cut his knife blunt, surprisingly how well you fight, when the wager is your life. All he had left was the Numenorean bow of the veteran, who was killed when he protected Arkaniel pulling back to the third gate. So many soldiers had fallen already, the remainng few were on the edge of collapsing and the stream of assaulting orcs didn't even seem to be thinned.... then the Horns blew. after that he went unconsciousness from the block of wood that fall on his had when a troll kicked the 4th gate in....
He also marched to the Black Gate, there the battle was even fiercer, for now they fought for their lives, their King and the world. he was wounded severly, but then the eagles came and at the same time, all the orcs and nazgul fled, and then it went dark...days later he woke with a bandage around his shoulder.

After the coronation, he was awarded with the Numenorean bow and was promoted to Captain. He served for some years, clearing gondor and the Brown lands from the ocs that had fled Mordor after Sauron's destruction. 2 months ago he resigned, willing to return to his father. His father however chased him away in anger for him running away. Arkaniel was no longer heir of his father, so he decided to make a journey throughout Middle-earth, looking for adventure or an occupation of any other sort.

Occupied by his thoughts he didn't notice the building next to the road till his horse stoped right in front of it, willing to drink from the water tray in front of the building, that seemed to be an inn. Arkaniel decided sleeping in a bed would be a nice change from his bedroll he slept on the past weeks. Also the scar on his shoulder itched, probably meaning rain coming.
By the looks of it, the inn was still under renovation, so he was unsure to enter. Instead he shouted "Visitor" by the door and waited outside.

[Edited on 3/11/2005 by CoNFuSeD_Elessar]

[Edited on 7/11/2005 by CoNFuSeD_Elessar]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: November 04, 2005 06:11
"I will leave the Inn today . . . to find the right stone for this carving, and before you offer . . . no . . . I will go alone for to find such stone as to do justice to this task is part of a Dwarves nature and . . ."

Mo rambled on for a few moments before slipping hurriedly through the dining room

If Randiron was surprised by the abruptness of Mo's departure, he hid it well. But, truly, he'd been enjoying talking to her.

Yet, he had his own work to do, and was getting up to fetch his sketch-book, when PB asked the ellon about their conversation.
'I see that you had quite a conversation with Mo'; he stated; she seems to be getting over her fear of elves, or at least her fear of you. Perhaps it is your artwork that is relaxing her.?'

"I hope so," Randiron answered honestly, "She's quite skilled herself, and I've learned much from her this morning. - Though..." he paused thoughtfully, "she did seem rather unhappy when you came through the room with Reycha... and at which saying, the Hobbit rushed out of the room.

Shrugging, he began pulling out the drawings on which he'd base the Hobbit Wall to be painted today. - If all went well, he'd have it done by nightfall... but then PB was abruptly back - and quite upset.
"Randiron"; he said between gulps of air;"I don't think that Mo has merely gone on an expedition to gather carving stones! I think that she has left the Inn for good , and that it is because of me that she did so."
"I'll explain, but to do so I have to reveal a secret that I swore I wouldn't reveal; I don't like doing so but I value her safety above my own reputation. I fear that Mo may end up in jeopardy because of this secret and I need some advice so I can decide what to do." Mo then swore Randiron not to do anything about what he had to say and then he went on to explain about Mo's infant and PB's grave concerns about it and what could happen when it matured.

PB then explained that he had decided to allow Mo to decide when to reveal the secret , figuring that the infant would rapidly become impossible to hide and that it wouldn't be long at all before Mo had no choice but to reveal it's nature. He had winked at Mo to let her know that he was now on her side, but she must have misinterpreted the gesture , and she had now fled the Inn, taking the infant with her.

Because he felt that it was because of him not supporting Mo that she left. PB was going to pack up a small bag of supplies, track her down , and see if he could convince her to return to the Inn. He left unsaid the fact that he had no tracking abilities whatsoever and didn't have a clue how he would find her

Randiron was glad everyone else was still busy in the Kitchen, as he stared at Pb. A baby what? and he cast a quick glance towards that room, wondering how Calen and the others would 'receive' this information... if, or... 'when' tthey discovered it - and then returned his gaze to the Hobbit's.

But, he understood perfectly. "I will not betray your confidence," the ellon repeated, and then was thoughtfull. "She can't be that far ahead of us," and gripped Pb's shoulder reassuringly. "Tracking is something I can help you with... and yes, I am coming with you!" Randiron stated firmly, but quietly. " - If you want, we'll take Nauren - it will be faster that way. Fetch what you want, and I'll meet you at the stables. Even if we go on foot - it's better, I think, and I'll give a 'plausible excuse' to the others for our absence."

Watching the Hobbit patter-foot away, Randiron quickly stowed this drawings back in the sketchbook... and then heard a voice calling, "Visitor", from without the front door.

Muttering under his breath, but knowing that time was of the essence, the elf dashed into the Kitchen. "Elenath... Alya... Calen..." he began, "Pb and I are leaving for a bit - we've got some discussion on the Hobbit Wall to take care of. - But, it looks like we've another newcomer - would one of you take care of that? - Pb and I shan't be gone long..." mentally adding, I hope! to the end of that statement, and after fetching a water-skin and a few supplies he'd not leave without, Randiron hurried out to the stable - finding Pb anxiously awaiting him already.

"Well - on foot or by horseback?" the elf inquired, as he ran up.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: November 04, 2005 05:46
"Calle, this is delicious. So, would you be willing to stay on for a while and be our baker/cook? Although if I were to eat these delicacies every day, I would begin to develop a round stomach like Potbelly." Her baking was beyond good, it was the best he had ever tasted. He hoped she would agree to stay on here for a while.

Turning to Alya, he handed over Fea to her care, bending down and kissing both of them on the tops of their heads. "My love, I have an errand to take care of. Why not stay here and try to persuade this woman to make her home here with us. I shall return as quickly as possible." Leaning closer, he whispered in her ear, "You are my life and my heart, have I told you that recently?" Smiling he left the kitchen and headed down the hall for the dining area to find Elenath.

He no sooner left the kitchen doorway when first he heard a voice from the entrance calling out "Visitor" and then he ran into Randiron who surprised him with a breathless, "Elenath... Alya... Calen..." he began, "Pb and I are leaving for a bit - we've got some discussion on the Hobbit Wall to take care of. - But, it looks like we've another newcomer - would one of you take care of that? - Pb and I shan't be gone long..." Randiron began to head off immediately when Calen grabbed his arm.

"Wait! What's the hurry? And where's Mo? You two were talking together amiably only moments ago. Now suddenly you and PB are off on an unnecessary task. What's going on, Randiron?" He held the blond elf's arm and looked into his eyes for a moment, and then nodded his head, releasing Randiron's arm. "I'm sure you'll tell me about it when you're ready. Go, my friend. I can see you have no time to waste."

He watched as Randiron raced out the back door. Shaking his head, he continued on toward the front entrance to see who the latest arrival was. Tilting his head into the dining room, he saw that Elenath had already left the table and that only Reycha still sat there, alone and staring off into space in deep thought. His black hair fell over his shoulder and his green eyes sparkled with amusement.

"Reycha, head for the kitchen at once. There is a baker there of great talent," he said, wiping a trace of the white icing from the edge of his lip, grinning happily. "I have never tasted such wonders before. And where is Elenath? I have great need of her presence yet every time I pin her down, she disappears in a flash. If you see her, please tell her I'm at the front door greeting a newcomer." His head disappeared from the doorway as quickly as it appeared and his footsteps could almost be heard heading to the entrance to the Inn.

He pulled the door open, towering in the entrance, and looking down at the young man, dusty from his travels but looking like an ex-soldier nonetheless, most likely Gondorian. Glancing over his shoulder, Calen noticed the sturdy mount drinking happily from the Inn's trough. He also noticed the sky was clouding over and wondered what reasonable sense it made for PB and Randiron to go hoofing off into an oncoming rainstorm. Looking back at the young man, he swung the door open, saying, "Welcome to the Forsaken Inn. You look like you could stand a meal, a bath and a bed. Come on in. We can offer you all of those things if you're prepared to rough it a bit. We are still in the middle of rebuilding. Can you handle a hammer?"
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2005 04:23
[OOC: Apologies for terribly short post. Must run!!! *flustered look*]

Elenath had only just finished breakfast and slipped off to the washroom when there was a stir at the door. Still a little wary, especially after the recent... incident, Elenath found her hand going to her sash on automatic pilot, but then a voice called out "visitor", and she returned to washing up.

There were the sounds of at least two pairs of flustered feet - she gathered it was one of the elves and a hobbit - and then doors were opening and closing and Calen's voice rang through the room.

"Reycha, head for the kitchen at once. There is a baker there of great talent," he said, wiping a trace of the white icing from the edge of his lip, grinning happily. "I have never tasted such wonders before. And where is Elenath? I have great need of her presence yet every time I pin her down, she disappears in a flash. If you see her, please tell her I'm at the front door greeting a newcomer."

Then he was gone again.

Frowning slightly, Elenath made for the main doors of the inn to find Calen and another man, a mortal, and by the looks of it, an old soldier.

"Welcome to the Forsaken Inn. You look like you could stand a meal, a bath and a bed. Come on in. We can offer you all of those things if you're prepared to rough it a bit. We are still in the middle of rebuilding. Can you handle a hammer?"

She leant against the doorjamb and waited.
<< First56789Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email