Register

<< First1819202122Last >>
Author Topic:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part IV
on: December 17, 2005 08:52
It's great to see Rose and MT posting again, but now I'm wondering where Sindy, Old Tom amd HT are. I hope they didn't go Christmas shoping and get swept away by the crowds.

I've got three new drawings that are now posted, (finally) and I invite you all to take A look. I meant for one of them to be humorous.

Have A great weekend, all my fine friends. Swabby
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2005 12:30
It's great to see Rose and MT posting again, but now I'm wondering where Sindy, Old Tom amd HT are. I hope they didn't go Christmas shoping and get swept away by the crowds.
I thought my ears felt a bit warm.

No, Old Tom did not get swept away in shopping mania. Old Tom lets his fingers do the shopping. Last month when we were giving thanks to Eru Ilúvatar we should have given Him a GIANT thanks for the Internet.

Well, Goldberry and I are off to acquire our Tannenbaum.

Tschüß!
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2005 06:23
I heard A great Christmas story once about some US and German soldiers (during WWII) that called A cease-fire one Christmas and spent an evening together in A house, singing carols, etc. I don't recall any of the details, so I was wondering if any of you knew the whole story and could tell it.

Swabby: I think I know of the story that you are talking about.

It happened on Unsolved Mysteries. The story was of a boy and his mother. Not sure of their nationality. They were about to celebrate Christmas when I think 5 American soldiers turned up and were lost. One of the soldiers was injured and they needed to tend to his wounds. The woman invited them into the cabin.

After a while, there were some Germans that showed up. They took one look at the Americans and then looked at the woman and her son. The woman said that they all could stay if they kept their differences outside the door. They all agreed. One of the Germans was a doctor and looked at the wounded soldier.

The boy went and got more potatoes and they all sat down to dinner that night. The next day all the men woke up and had coffee offered by the woman. The Germans put the Americans on the right road back to their camp and the Germans went the other way.

The boy, years later, went on Unsolved Mysteries looking for anyone from the story that might still be alive. He wanted to thank them for the most memorable Christmas that he shared with his mother. One of the American soldiers got in contact with the man and they had a reunion on the day of the American’s birthday.

This was definitely a tear jerker of a story. It replayed here about a month ago. But I am sure that it took place in WWII.

Rose: I'm glad you are better. Nice to see you out and about.

scots Sorry to here about you losing your job. I agree with Rose. Keep you chin up and nothing will be able to stop you.

Well better go. Brought some work home.

namarie
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2005 01:07

Hi everyone

I have been reading all the posts when not disapearing under huge mounds of wrapping paper! I have been trying to think of some little rhymes but I think the visions of sugar plums dancing in my head are affecting my brain. So far all I ahve are a couple of first lines:

On the first day of yule tide
The Valar gave to me
A Ranger to share with MT

In there somewhere would be a number of Swabbys swabbing but I couldn't get any further than that.

Then I thought

Away with A Ranger
something something..
Butr please don't tell Arwen
or she'll have my head!

Feel free to fill in some blanks.

Re rose-hip syrup - I wish you could still get it - I loved the taste.

I will pop back soon

love to all

HT:heart:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2005 06:33
I think HT has some excellent ideas for some rhymes and she should see them through to completion. Now please forgive me for pointing this one little thing out that could be A rather serious problem. I could be wrong, but I think there is probably less than A zero percent chance that MT would share her Ranger with anyone. I rather suspect the little sweet woman, in defense of her "prize", would unleash A torrent of viciousness not seen on the Gulf Coast since Hurricane Katrina. Rather than to allow such carnage to occur amongst my friends, I would have to offer up my old barnicle-encrusted self in hopes of diffusing the incident and maintaining the peace. :love:

Balrog, I think the story you mention is the same one I had in mind. It certainly sounds like it.

Old Tom, we too have let our fingers do the do the walking but we've also used other methods, including asking Santa in our quest for more "stuff".

The new girl who is posting the drawings failed to give me one of those little "new" flags next to my name, which gets me bellbottoms in A bunch, so I wrote her A PM demanding (begging, actually) for her to fix it. Have A happy Sunday, my friends. Swabby
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2005 06:49
Reading HT's revision of popular Christmas Carols to reflect her fantasies about King Elessar brought this verse to mind:

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the land
Not an Uruk was stirring, at least none of the White Hand
The swords were hung over the mantles with care,
In hopes that their true love soon would be there.
The ladies were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of Lord Aragorn danced in their heads...
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2005 07:50
Hi everyone!

Hurting just a little too much to spend much time sitting at my office chair, but had to catch up on the posts. It's has been snowy and cold here!!! BBBRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Swabby, you and I could compare swear words directed at those cell phone drivers!

Scots, hope the little orklings finished up the week and went home to plague their parents. That is one thing I can say I did not miss being out these last two weeks---the last days before Christmas break!

Thanks for all of the great cards! I think I've finally sent the last of mine.

Have a restful weekend!

SE
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: December 18, 2005 01:23
Hi, I am so glad to see all of the regulars back. Sindy, I am so sorry you are hurting. Bless your heart.

I just got back from Branson with my daughter and her family. My husband and I got there a night early but he got sick a man problem. and I had to take him to the ER. We have to get tests done as the ER doctor was concerned. I am worried.

On a brighter note we went to am amusement park called Silver Dollar city they had 40 million Christmas lights. It was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I had some wassil to drink and the kids had hot chocolate. It would have been more fun if I was not so worried about my husband. We saw a musical it was a condensed version of A Christmas Carol. It was wonderful. Special effects were terrific.

OTB I loved your LOTR Christmas poem.

I don't mean to sound dumb but is the peter heater a silly gift. Is it what it really says? You know rubbers in England mean erasers so-oo I just thought it might be a name for something else.

Rose, I am so glad you are better.
Ht I know what you mean about wrapping and things being busy.

Swabby I am not sure about that story but I have heard it I will do some research.
HI Balrog..
I have to go unwind be back later.
Awelyn 418

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2005 05:17
scots sorry about your school closure. I'm sure you'll miss the place and the staff and students. Why don't we open our own MIDDLE EARTH ACADEMY ? Rose, balrog, HTswabby and our other talented folks can teach poetry and music. Some of you could teach Conversational Sindarin. Swabby could teach defensive cart-driving. Ranger-fanciers can teach Sex-Education(we'd have to call it something much more discrete), of course. I am happy to teach dream-interpretation and Elvish penmanship. scots would you like to be Head Mistress or do you prefer to be in the classroom?

Christmas stories - love these stories, from past and present. It's what it's all about , in my opinion. Even for those of us who don't buy into the literal version of the Christmas story, there is a wealth of wisdom in the symbolism: Human beings recognizing each other's goodness[and inner divinity] and sharing our gifts in a loving and compassionate way that crosses race and cultural barriers.

scots your "independent" comment made me wonder - how is the Scottish indepedence movement these days? Making any progress there? The North American made a big deal of Sir Sean Connery getting behind it, but I wonder what it's like for the person-on-the-street? Does it seem like a viable political movement?

OK - mid-morning and I have yet to accomplish anything remotely work-related. Best get to it. Still recovering from Frday night -not boozing, just lots of dancing. My hips are still hurting! Getting old, but never too old to dance. Maybe next time I'll do some yoga before launching into the twist and disco moves. Oy! * hobbles off to the fridge to find her ice-pack*
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2005 06:29
A "Middle Earth Academy"? If there was such A thing and it was staffed by FoF members, then "Hogwarts" would have nothing on us. The wealth of knowledge, skills and experience we could offer would be immense, don't you think? When I think of sword-wielders teaching sex education, however, I can't help but think that they might be teaching something called the "Lorena Bobitt Method". (For those of you who might not be familiar with that name and the story behind it, Lorena Bobitt whacked off her husband's thing that goes in A peter-heater, then drove down the road and threw it in A ditch. You might guess that she was rather angry at him.)
Perhaps we could "live in" at this academy and so it would then double as the "Middle Earth Living Quarters" that we talked about A while back.

Awelyn, how's your hubby doing? Is there anything that any of us can do for you? I know I speak for all of us when I say that we certainly hope he is OK.

Sindy, I hope you heal quickly so I can share with you my vast knowledge of bad words that I learned in the Navy. The taxi drivers in Italy and Greece are masters at combining verbal assaults with physical gestures, and I can show you what I picked up from them, also. Here's A hint; You should let lots of spit fly so the target of your ire can see that you are REALLY PO'd! You probably already know A couple of universal hand-gestures that you could combine with the cursing and spitting for A most effective presentation. Only slight modifications will be necessary if your steering wheel is on the right side of your auto. Never forget that I am your friend, and am here to help.:evil:

Old Tom, that was A right nice little poem you laid on us. Keep up the good work. Happy Monday!

[Edited on 19/12/2005 by swabby]
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2005 06:38
Hi everyone

Liked your poem Old Tom.

MT re Swabby's comment about sharing a Ranger how about it? I know you would like him all to yourself (wouldn't we all?) but we are not greedy here. You could have him Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and I could have him Tuesdays Thursdays and Saturdays. We would let the poor man have a day off on Sunday (he would probably need the rest!).

On Scottish Independence.

We have our own parliament with devolved powers but the UK government still have the say on matters like security, policing etc. I imagine its rather like the difference between state and US legislative matters. The Scottish MPs come in for a lot of criticism for concentrating on what seem to some people to be trivial matters and some people think them un-professional there is a good Scottish expression (A shower of numpties) which reflects this view.

Not withstanding some people would like to see a totally devolved government with its own tax raising powers.

The new parliament building came in for a lot of flak it went massively over budget but having seen it I personally think it is a magnificent structure although an awful lot of people will jot agree with me.

Anyway enough about politics - it is great to come in here and chat to you all and get so many different viewpoints.

Keep well everyone - I read the forum most days although I don't always log in.

Love

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2005 06:42
awelyn sorry- I missed the part of your message about your hubby being ill. I hope it's all going to be OK. Prayers and good wishes out to both of you. I know how worried I get when my sweetheart's health takes a dive.

Know that you have the combined strength and love of many wonderful people at FoF to support you.:heart:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
awelyn418
Send Message
on: December 19, 2005 07:03
Scots, I am so sorry about your school. I just hate progress at times. Sometimes I don't think what is considered progress really is progress. Your school had so much more to offer as far as quality and
with the small numbers the children really came out ahead. I know you will do fine because you are a great teacher and a survivor.

Middle Earth Academy has a nice ring to it. I want to be a story teller.
I would live there and double as a house mother.

Swabby my husband is worse. He has a appointment with a urologist
today. Prostate cancer is a major worry on my mind. His dad had it and he is showing some symptoms . He is in a lot of pain.
I know I have all your good wishes and send the good healing vibes. I have tried for years to have him use saw palmetto but he would not use it. I got him some and he is using it now. You know men can be so stubborn.

I still have Christmas shopping to do today.

Neenime I love to dance too. We would have to have a ball at the Middle Earth Academy. The yoga sounds good maybe I will do that next time before I dance the night away. I am glad you had a good time. I got your Christmas card last Thursday. It was very nice and what pretty Elvish writing and that was the last card. Thank you,thank you everybody. I loved the card exchange.

Sindy take it easy listen to your body if it says rest do just that and no cleaning or lifting heavy things.

Well, I guess I'd better go clean on the first day of my Christmas break.
Awelyn 418
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: December 19, 2005 07:15
Hey, everyone! Sorry to be MIA. I read this thread daily as my modding duties have me checking ALL threads for appropriateness. However, RL has been tough lately as it seems to be with a number of people.

Scots, I'm so sorry to hear about your school closing.

Aelwyn, I'm pulling for your hubby! Got to run! At work now and it's getting busy.
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2005 09:08
Awelyn, my thoughts and prayers are with you and you hubby. There's a shower of blue light heading your way as I type. :hug:

BelleBayard, I agree about RL. Ufff!! It can be a real pain sometimes.

Loved your poem, Tom. And the other ditties.

I'm off to do some present wrapping and a bit of sewing.

Hugs to all. :love:

Rosie x
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2005 09:08
:wave: Greetings from the PoG!
Thank you all for your wishes to me about my school closing. I look at is as a new adventure. If I submit my resumé to the Middle Earth Academy, I would be interested in the headship only as long as I can be in the classroom as well dealing with things mathmatical and scientific. Hmmmmm Would that include figuring out how to build those absolutely cool seige towers they used in TTT and RotK? That would be so much fun!

Awelyn: I am so, so sorry to hear about your husband. Many warm thoughts and big hugs are speeding your way from the PoG!

My Thoughts on Politics and Politicians: :banghead: :angry: :banghead: :rolleyes: :banghead: :dizzy: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
'Nuff said on *that* particular subject.

My school vacation doesn't begin until Thursday at noon. No rest for the wicked you know. :evil: I'm off doing my doctor thing today trying to get some relief from the aches and pains of the accident. Life goes ever on and on, and so do I. I'm sure that it will help. But I have do admit, I like having a day off where I'm not at a workshop and I *should* be at work and I'm not, and plus I'm not down-and-out sick. That and the sun is shining makes for a good day.
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: December 19, 2005 09:57
Ouch, i've been busy over the weekend. Got the gingerbreads made, and brought some virtual ones to you - help yourselves! Yesterday, we took mom-in-law out for dinner, and that's where most of the day went. And the week isn't much better; got to get my desk cleared by the holidays, and of course there's a stupid meeting that takes up a big chunk of my time tomorrow afternoon... :banghead:

Awelyn, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your husband will be all right.

Tom, I'm LOL for your poem!

Sindy, good to see you around, and to hear that you're recovering! :hug:

A Middle-earth Academy? That would definitely be a great school, with all of you teachers here!

But now, I'll have to go and gather some strength for the blasted meeting tomorrow (read: get myself to bed :sleepy: ) so, I'll just wish you a good beginning of the week!
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2005 10:58
scots glad to see that things are moving along in Scotland. My ancestors had been oppressed for centuries, so I usually pull for the independence movements.

What you said (and the gestures) about politicans - double ditto for me. We are facing an unpopular winter election here in Canada and so the airwaves are full of election prattle instead of just Christmas music. Yukk -phooey! Worse than the taste of maggotty bread.

Middle Earth AcademySeige-tower technology? Of course, that would be the Engineering course. And we'll need someone to teach Basic Conjuring to the Elvish pupils (just don't practice on Sam Gamgee, as he dislikes being turned into anything unnatural). awaelyn - you'd make a great dance teacher, I am sure. Can I help?

awelyn I can understand that cancer would be a big worry, but remember that sooner detected is sooner treated. And that's generally good news.

[Edited on 20/12/2005 by Neenime]
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: December 19, 2005 11:01
So many posts to catch up with!. Thanks to all for their cards it is so nice to receive them and feel that real life link to others over the internet. Loved the poem Old Tom :rolling:

Managed to get the tree up over the weekend. Had a bit of a near miss over the weekend, I was walking to the local supermarket when a car, trying to park mounted the pavement and hit a nearby shop window. If I’d been walking quicker I’d have been toast as I was only about 10 foot away. The guy reckoned he thought the car was in neutral but it was in gear (don’t understand if the car was in neutral why he had the foot on the accelerator in the first place). Felt really shaken up and had to console myself with chocolate and looking at the Viggo advent calendar.

Awelyn my prayers and thoughts are with your husband. Sorry to hear your school is shutting scots and hope you get some relief from your aches and pains.

I’d attend a Middle Earth Academy, but please let there be no exams. One of the advantages of being a “certain age” is no more worry about revising, essay writing or getting the right results.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2005 04:25
. Now please forgive me for pointing this one little thing out that could be A rather serious problem. I could be wrong, but I think there is probably less than A zero percent chance that MT would share her Ranger with anyone. I rather suspect the little sweet woman, in defense of her "prize", would unleash A torrent of viciousness not seen on the Gulf Coast since Hurricane Katrina. Rather than to allow such carnage to occur amongst my friends, I would have to offer up my old barnicle-encrusted self in hopes of diffusing the incident and maintaining the peace. :love:

Now swabby, what would make you think that I wouldn't share with my friends? I do have a fierce obsession for my ranger/king, but he's enough man to share.:love:
I do have a fiery side to me that thankfully doesn't come out too often.:evil: And yes, that was hurricane Katrina and NOT ME!!

You are right, Morwenna, chocolate and a peek at the Viggo calendar are good for whatever ails you. Did you hear that SE and scots? Maybe you two shouldn't gaze too long, as it might cause your pain to increase with all that extra blood carousing through your veins. Take care and get well gals!

We missed you, Belle. Hope things calm down at work at home and here for you. Take care of yourself.

I am praying for you and your hubby awelyn. A friend's husband is going through chemotherapy to deal with prostrate cancer. He seems to be doing okay. Hope you'll get good news.

I love the idea of Middle Earth Academy, neenime. I think that I'd like to teach a class on sword (not fore) play. We could have tounaments and faires and feasts. Oh what fun!! Will you be cooking swabby?

I love your Christmas poem, Old Tom. It's headed for my Middle earth scrapbook: the Christmas section (which will feature Santa-gorn and maybe Strider the reindeer). Your lines are included also, HT. I'm honored to think that you would share "our ranger" with me.:heart:

Just 1/2 day of school tomorrow and then.........I'm free!! :disco: :cheers: :hug: Gonna read Tolkien's Father Christmas Letters, watch the dvds, cook, clean and put the finishing touches on Christmas here. Hope that each of you has a magnificent day tomorrow. May you have restful sleep and passionate dreams.

MT
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2005 04:53
Back from the docs. Looks liike I'll live... I am starting physical therapy on Friday for a month to see if that helps, then on to the next level of treatments. He said something about "injections"

I also had a first time experience in an MRI machine. Now, *that* was interesting. I was fine before the shoved me in that little tube, but when you're in there with the top of the tube about a micron from your nose, my heart just kind of contracted. I asked the lady what would happen if I started to freak a bit during the middle of the procedure. She asked me if I'd like to come out for a bit, I said "Yes, please." Then she did a strange thing, she gave me a washcloth to put over my eyes, slid me back into the tube and I was fine. So strange. I guess that's how a horse feels when they get spooked and their friends put towels over their eyes to calm them. I just thought of Middle Earth for the half hour it took. Piece of cake. It will be interesting to see the pictures of my inner structure when alls said and done.

Neenime: I need to clarify that even though my lovely moniker says Scots, I sadly do not reside in the Highlands of my ancestors. I am American (middle America..hence the PoG reference) by birth, Scots by the grace of God (Thanks to Rose for that absolutely marvelous saying). My ancestors from both sides of the blanket were from the Highlands though. 'Scuse the pun, they were "clannish" and married Scots with Scots until one, and only one grandmother from Austria entered the picture. Other than that, I'm what I like to call 90 proof Scotch.

When we were in Inverness last year, the spousal unit had to just about drag me kicking and screaming on to that plane to leave. I truly felt like I had come home. It was the strangest feeling that I've ever had. It was just such a deep and elemental feeling, especially when I was walking around the Clava Cairns one day. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it. I do believe there is some pagan blood running through this old girl.

Well, I've waffled on long enough for one night. The cat is cold and requesting that I come to bed to keep her warm. Poor elderly kitty. lol

Have a good vacation all. Blessings of the season to each and every one of you.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2005 05:06
Hi everyone.

scots:Sorry to here about the school closing. With the experience you have, you should have no problem finding work. Good luck with the doctor.

awelyn Hope your husband gets better. I agree with Neenime. The sooner the better.

Neenime: I agree with what you say about politicians. Makes Christmas a real turn off. I listen to Christmas music and watch movies to keep in the Christmas spirit. I avoid all news when it comes to voting. Enough said.

Got your card Rose. Thanks for the bookmark. It is great. Will put with my LOTR book that I'm reading right now. Seems like I can't get through Christmas this year without my LOTR, being books or movies. I'm going to have another LOTR marathon on Christmas Day.

Why is it that you can tell when the holidays are here? People get grouchy at work. Oh well, I wish them a happy day and get on with the rest of mine.

Can I come to school? I love school. :love: A Middle Earth Academy would be great. I could learn a lot and I can teach some. I was pretty good with a bow and arrow. Swords are not my forté. Too Sharp. We all could have fun teaching each other the things of LOTR. I bet that some of us can learn from the rest.

Anyway, I just got home from work and going to sit down and have supper. So I'll talk to you all later.

namarie
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 03:30
balrog yes, please come to the Academy to teach. The position of Head Archer is not yet filled. Besides, I thnik we have a few Shield Maidens competing for the swordsmanship course. I hope it doesn't come down to a tournament to choose the winner.

Exams? Perish the thought! We're much more advanced here and have a holistic, experiential philosophy of education.

scots thanks for the clarification. My relatives are from overseas but they sure keep up with politics in their homeland, so I was not surprised that you could give me a good update. I visited the land of my ancestors several years ago and also felt an immediate connection with it. Must be something deep within us, as you say.

The Viggo calendar is delightful, but I bookmarked the page and now just get the homepage. Can't find the calendar again. Ah well, a little hunting will get results later. Am consoling myself with other delightful images in the meantime.

FoF cards as bookmarks . Splendid idea!

Namarie
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 04:53
Just squeezing two minutes, whilst I am work.

Scots: So glad to hear you are ok. I'm not sure what an MRI machine is though. Explain, dear. And I also confess to not knowing what PoG is. God, this woman's dumb!! Lol!!

Balrog: Yippeee. I'm so glad you have gotten my card, I was worried it might not arrive in time, or at all. Glad you liked the bookmark. The picture came out really well, didn't it.

Neenime: FoF cards for bookmarks is a great idea. Although the bookmark, Balrog mentioned was *actually* a bookmark. I made one for each of the characters of the ladies in our roleplay story, The Reunion.

Well, gotta dash. Only 1 and a half days until our Office Christmas Lunch and then freedom until the 3rd January. :disco: :rolling: :cheers: :rolling: :disco:

Hugs and blessings to you all, my friends.

Rosie xxx
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 04:59
I came to the realization many years ago that those who can claim A clear ethnic or cultural lineage/identity have simplified lives in comparison to my own. Having done A good bit of research into my family's past, I know that my European ancesters came to America long ago and were mixed with native Americans and Blacks to make me. A DNA test revealed that I am 96% European, 3% American Indian and 1% Black. I can't say that I'm English, although that is part of me and I have A well-known English surname. I can't say that I'm Irish or Scottish or Indian or Black either, although I'm part of each. I used to say that I was A "Southerner" or an "Arkansan" untill I lived away for over twenty years, travelled the world and grew A social and political conscience. I used to call myself A "Baptist", but don't anymore. If I get around A bunch of men, they often want to talk about ball games or sports, which alienates me. I used to ride motorcycles A lot, but I don't fit in with that crowd anymore. I'm retired military but don't see eye to eye with most of those guys anymore either. It would be nice, in my mind, to say "I'm that". "I'm something". All I can say now is "Here I am, this is me". Oh, I guess there is one thing that I know I am. I'm A Lord of the Rings fan. Yes, I'm that.
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 05:17
AWWWWW!!! Hugs, swabby muchly. That was quite touching, brought a little lump to my throat. :blush: If you don't mind that it, my friend. *giggles*

My make up is Scots/Irish in equalish parts, I think, maybe leans a little more to the Scots (from my Dad and Mum both), then German Jewish (from my mother) and finally Catholic. Oh and don't forget my dragon kin. :love:

I love that we have an identity as LotR fans, errrrm, can I say devotees. I like that word.

Really must go now. Hugs again.

Rosie xx
awelyn418
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 06:03
Swabby, you are a sensitive man and each race you talk about has brought something to your makeup to make you the great person you are and I like that I am so many different things. I am English and Irish and German and American Indian. As far as religion I am a Christian. I don't understand your longing to be more like Scots but I guess what I am trying to say FOF friend you are loved for the unique
person you are because of the differences.

My husband just has an infection. Well, you know what I mean it could have been worse. He is feeling so much better today. Thank you every one for thinking of him.

Hi Belle so nice to hear from you. :wave: Balrog you just keep blocking out all that stuff and keep thinking of Christmas

Well, I need to get ready for a lunch at a friend's house she is making a Broccoli and cheese soup and a salad and a dessert. She is a dear friend from work.

I can't begin to tell you what it has meant to my life to know all of you and be a part of Fof. As Tiny Tim says and God bless us every one.

Scots my mom and older sister always had trouble with the MRI machine but they had trouble with claustrophobia. You hang in there and what a nice story of your Scotland visit.

Have a good day,afternoon or night.

Awelyn 418
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 06:10
Suilad! It's that wonderful but busy time of year. Have kept up with the posts. Even when the schedule gets busy, it always brightens my day stopping here. Enjoy the poems and all your posts.

Awelyn, my prayers are with you and your hubby. For his healing and for getting you through this - is difficult watching the ones we love suffer. You have many friends here who care.

Went shopping yesterday for the few last minute gifts and shopping for hubby. Stores are crowded but it is as hectic here as in bigger cities. I'm happy to have the shopping and wrapping done. Leaves some time now to stop and smell the roses -looking at the Christmas tree and decorations, listening to carols and admiring nature's handiwork here at the water's edge and elsewhere.

Seems so many of us want that ranger. Perhaps cloning would solve the dilemma. And like MT, I'm willing to share with my FOF friends.

The Academy sounds like lots of fun, even more so with no exams. Learning Elvish, studying things we find interesting.

Swabby, that is interesting about your ancestry. It is amazing what we can learn from DNA. My ancestry pretty much falls into the European....ancestors came from Germany, England, Sweden and Denmark. But who knows what else a DNA would reveal. Can really relate to what you said about not fitting in, so to speak. Have often felt that way, especially with people my own age. Yet here we all share a love of Tolkien and it seems so easy and natural. Like this is where we fit in and belong. :love::heart:

Love and Hugs to all and wishes for peace, joy and happiness!
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 06:37
Rosie so glad that you're back on your feet , or is it on your typing fingers? ( we'll have to change metaphors in teh Internet Age)

Awelyn great news about your hubby. So glad he's OK. Now you can relax and enjoy the holidays.

Ancestry - such an interesting topic. I can understand your longing for identity, swabby - we all need to belong. And for centuries, our identity has been defined by tribal/ racial connection.

My background is about 75% Ukraininan and 25% Polish, but in my heart, I am also North American Indian (love the culture and the spirituality) , Sumerian (really into ancient goddess stuff) and Celt (OMG I love Celtic culture and music and those incredible knotwork designs in the worst way - I swear there's a genetic link in me somewhere).

My husband and I participated dutifully and heavily in Ukrainian -Canadian culture for years but got turned off by the ethno-centric attitude ("Oh so-and-so got arrested for robbery. He's not REALLY Ukrainian, ya know - his grandfather was Russian and you know how THEY are.") We also got turned off some of the rigid and unloving attitudes of the church we belonged to.

Sometimes I yearn for those connections and that sense of community and feel left out. But as I grow up (and it's a slow process, even as I approach 4, I am more happy to be part of a larger family of humanity. I have found a new spiritual community and feel loved and accepted there, but I can groove with darn near anyone - Buddhists, Hindus, pagans, Bahais, Christians.

Awelyn said it well,swabby . You are a unique person. And we all love you here at FoF. In fact, we seem to love each other in a totally awesome way. Maybe becasue we are all so FRIGHTFULLY mature! And unique is good - my hubby would not fit the typically "manly" profile in some ways, yet he does in others. We've been together almost 25 years and he is still the best thing that ever happened to me (and I've had a lot of good things happen).

NOw - speaking of "mature" - I just read something that made me laugh so hard that my fellow employees came to see what was wrong. It was a piece purportedly by John Cleese - a letter to the US citizens, all about how they had failed to elect a competent Pres. so Her Majesty was revoking their independence and invoking a new set of rules for the US, including tea time and all that. It's rather long, so if anyone wants to read it, PM me and I will e-mail it you.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 08:16
Rose, Awelyn, Neenime and Mith,(and the others if you were here) you are all such A loving, caring and intelligent lot that I would be A fool to not heed, and be comforted by, your words. I thank you all for being so special.

Awelyn, I still call myself A "Christian", but I refuse to condemn other religions or tell someone that they can't go to Heaven for this or that reason. Not one of us will be sitting on the jury that makes those decisions. It is my nature to question that which preachers and priests say and I'm always suspicious of their motivations. Perhaps I was overly influenced by the Jethro Tull album "Aqualung" and it's condemnation of mankind's manipulation of God for his own twisted purposes. Ha! Just kidding---I already saw things that way before the album was released. I see the great creator as being A god of love, compassion and forgiveness, just as we could disapprove of our own children's behavior but never stop loving the child. Even Jesus used A parable with that theme to make the same point. I don't believe God would hate his own creations.
On A different subject, I'm so glad your hubby doesn't have anything serious wrong with him. I've had those urinary tract infections before and they just give you some pills and tell you to lay off the coffee and cokes.

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) A coffin-like machine that sees way too much of your body, inside and out.

Mith, you are exactly right about our common love of Tolkien. It is like the mortar that binds us, isn't it?

Neenime, yes, mature is good. I've seen that John Cleese letter you spoke of, and I agreed with him about most everything except the German cars. Perhaps the Mercedes is very reliable, but BMW, Audi and VW all have some reliability issues. (My middle son used to work on them at A big Houston dealer) The piece was very funny, though. Terry Jones of Monty Python has also written some similar stuff. If only I could lock 51% of the American voters in A closet next election, we might quit being the laughing stock of the world.

Swabby, homosapian and Tolkien devotee

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 08:23
Tolkien devotee yes, I quite like that. It sounds more highbrow than "fan" , which is a few letters short of "fanatic".

The religion question is so interesting . At the end of the day, we have similar values, but LORD how we can get ourselves in a lather about the nuances and application thereof!! Silly humans. What must Eru think of us, sometimes? Does he say "Ooops"?

I am glad that we do not let these questions divide us here at FoF.

Namaste (The Divine in me recognizes the Divine in you and knows that we are One.)
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 09:29
My thoughts and prayers go out to Awelyn and others who have loved ones who are ill. My dad has had two surgeries relating to colon cancer so I know how difficult that can be.

Good luck to Scots in her hunt for a new position. I'm sure that someone with your spirit and passion will come out fine in the end.

Neenime wrote:
Why don't we open our own MIDDLE EARTH ACADEMY ?
That's a fantastic idea! You can put me down as your vocal instructor and choir director. I'll also assist swabby with the creative writing class.

MT wrote:
I love your Christmas poem, Old Tom. It's headed for my Middle earth scrapbook: the Christmas section...
I'm very flattered. :blush:

I'm glad that you all enjoyed my poem, or at least what amounts to the beginnings of one. I thought I'd let all you shieldmaidens fill in the rest of it to suit your fancy. Far be it from me to quell your creativity! (Not to mention keeping this thread free from anything that might require editing by our friend Belle )

Hi, Belle! :wave:

Old Tom is home from work today with a cold. My thoughts go to Bilbo after he rescued Thorin & Company from their imprisonment by the Woodelves. He rode those barrels all the way to Lake Town, and caught a cold for this trouble: "Thag you very much!"
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 11:07
I am relieved to hear that hubby is doing well, awelyn. What a wonderful gift of peace for the holidays.

I plan to do just what you suggest, Mith. The shopping is done and I have just a bit more "stuff" to do, but I will slow down and enjoy the beauty of the season.

I'm not sure if I've felt what you describe when you were in Scoltland, scots.. I had always loved France and fell in love with Paris when I visited this past summer. It also "fit" me in all kinds of ways That's also the way I feel here at FoF. This is the place that I feel comfortable enough to be the real me without fear. You accept me as I am and I am so very grateful and blessed by your friendships.

When I think of you, swabby, my mind doesn't go to racial/cultural images. I think of : a kind gentleman, poet (with a great sense of humor), brilliant artist, music lover, movie trivia expert, fantastic cook, Tolkien devotee, someone who's company I enjoy very much. You're all that and more!

LoL about John Cleese's comment neenime. I think that I'd enjoy having tea time.

What a rotten time of the year (is there a good time?) to be feeling bad, Old Tom! I'm sending wishes for improved health and the quick demise of offending microbes. Wish I had some athelas to send. I'd even loan out my ranger/king..for you know, "the hands of the king are the hands of a healer." Get well soon, my friend.

MT
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 11:42
Awelyn

So glad that your husband is OK - I have a work colleague who is a good friend who has prostate cancer he has just had another lot of treatment and seems to be doing OK.

MT thanks for agreeing to share the Ranger but all I need to know now is how we get him to come to us. Do we need a Ranger trap? What would we bait it with?

My ideal Christmas present would be a chocolate covered Ranger with detachable kilt! Santa please take note.

Love

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 12:24
Rose: The PoG refers to the Plains of Gorgoroth. I view Nebraska as kind of a wasteland as far as Tolkien goes. It saddens me to say that, but there you have it.

I do remember one young man a couple of years ago that I saw almost every day coming home from school. He was walking home from school I assume. He had a One Ring shirt on at least several days a week. I wanted to shout out to him that he was not alone in the wasteland, but I figured with the climate nowadays, he'd figure that I was some predatory old broad bent upon mischief. So I desisted. But I did think it everytime I saw him. :rolling:

Awelyn, I am so glad that your husband's illness was nothing worse than an infection although painful I am sure it is. We ought to bottle the good vibes from the FoF. It seems to help!

I'm feeling better today than I have in weeks. Yay! Of course, maybe all I needed was time. Now I'll feel like an absolute goof since they've done all these expensive tests and visits to the chiropractor and physical therapist if all I needed was more time. It's either that or the meds that I am now taking religiously have built up enough in my system to actually take effect. Anyway you look at it, I'm feelin' good!

Do any of you have a favorite part of Tolkien's work to share? I know it's a bit like choosing a favorite child, but if you *had* to choose, what would you choose? For me, I think my absolute favorite part is where Frodo and Bilbo leave for the Gray Havens. It is just so heart-wrenching and so beautiful at the same time. That was one of the best scenes in the movies as far as I am concerned. I cry everytime I read it or see it.
<< First1819202122Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email