<< First1920212223Last >>
Author Topic:
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part IV
on: December 20, 2005 01:50
MT wrote:
What a rotten time of the year (is there a good time?) to be feeling bad, Old Tom! I'm sending wishes for improved health and the quick demise of offending microbes. Wish I had some athelas to send. I'd even loan out my ranger/king..for you know, "the hands of the king are the hands of a healer." Get well soon, my friend.
Thank you for your very kind thoughts and wishes, MT. Fortunately my condition is not so dire as to require the healing skill of King Elessar.

That article on the USA attributed to John Cleese has been around for awhile. A friend of mine emailed it to me quite awhile ago. (A year or more, I believe.) You all know that it wasn't really written by John Cleese, right? It, of course, was written tongue-in-cheek in the idiom of John Cleese.

HT wrote:
My ideal Christmas present would be a chocolate covered Ranger with detachable kilt!
Chocolate covered ranger, eh? My wife gave me an early gift the other day, a 10 1/2 inch tall large chocolate bear. (Kilt not included.) And it's solid chocolate. I could eat myself into a chocolate coma with that thing!
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 02:19
Just popping in before I hit the hay. :yawn:

Old Tom, I hope your cold soon goes away. The last remnants of mine have gone now. 10 1/2 inches of solid chocolate. Now that's chocolate overload. :disco:

Awelyn: What a relief for you and your hubby and I wish him a speedy recovery from the infection. :hug:

Scots: Thanks for the clarification, pet. And I am so happy that you are feeling much better. You are right, it would be great if we could bottle the FoF vibes.

MT: *cough* if you are loaning out your Ranger, *cough* I think I might start feeling a little under the weather again. Lol!!

HT: A chocolate Ranger *without* a kilt. Oh my, oh my, the mind boggles.

Well, my fellow TDs (Tolkien Devotees .... but you had worked that out, I'm sure. Lol!) I am off to the Land of Nod.

Blessings and warm hugs to you all.

Rosie xxxx

swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 03:43
Now if I say something about A chocolate Ranger with removable kilt that crosses the line of acceptability, it will clearly not be my fault.
Let's just suppose that MT and HT have decided to share one of these chocolate, presumably life-like Aragorn figures. I would imagine there would be A coin toss to see who starts at what end, and then the eating would start. I can just visualize the two of them gnawing away when MT looks up and says "Hey, HT, slow down, you're eating too fast". Then HT, (with A glazed look in her eye) snaps back "Don't bug me, I'm having A ball!"
But seriously folks, wouldn't it be much better if we just had A small Ranger mold that could be duplicated and given to each of you? That way, those who want chocolate could make there very own little edible Viggo and bite it anywhere they like. Someone else might want to fill it with cheesecake or tapioca and he could be decorated up with A cucumber slice for A shield and maybe A toothpick for A sword. Don't forget the nuts! The mold could be filled with liquid rubber to create A versatile and durable little Aragorn doll that could bring pleasures of A distinctly non-culinary nature. Hey, I'm just bouncing some ideas around here.
I think I could sculpt him from modeling clay if one of you ladies with ceramics or casting experience could make A mold from it. Someone would have to tell me how big it should be. (I'm talking about his height):evil: Oh, the things I'm willing to do for my friends! Swabby
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 07:35
Awelyn, glad your hubby is getting well. It must be quite a weight off your mind. Sometimes these times remind us what is really important and give us a renewed sense of appreciation of life.

Neenime, I agree it is easy to be disillusioned by churches (people). If only everyone could love more and judge less. I felt very isolated after separating from my ex-husband years ago and was very involved with a church at the time. Through the years I my faith has been tested. I have not changed my beliefs but find it hard to fit in many churches. I've met many friends along the way with various beliefs and have seen and experienced things many "church people" choose to ignore or don't believe exist. So many could use God's love and help and all the while most "church people" are sitting comfortably in their pews feeling good about themselves. Sorry, this is a touching subject and tends to make my rambling a bit passionate. Swabby, I think perhaps you understand this perfectly. And thank you for your kind words.

Ummm, chocolate covered anything. While I prefer my Ranger to be made of something a bit more lasting, it does conjure up some captivating thoughts when thinking of a kiltless chocolate Ranger. :drool: If flesh is out of the question, would gladly accept your gift, Swabby! How about it, girls?

Favorite Tolkien parts - they are many. I love reading about the creation in the Music of the Ainur or Ainulindale in the Silmarillion. A couple favorite LOTR parts are Treebeard's verse; battle at Pelannor fields - book and movie both - on the EE where the Witch King and then Gothmog hear the Rohirrim horns and more; the look on Aragorn's face when he spots Lothlorien after leading the Fellowship out of Moria and so many more. That's just a couple that come to mind first.

Eight swans on the water today. It is really cool how they are always in pairs. Supposedly they mate for life.

Scots, hope you get some answers with all the tests. And may your guardian angel always be there for you.

Take care all and have a wonderful day/night! :heart: :hug:

balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 08:17
Hi everyone.

Nice to see everyone in the Christmas spirit. Sometimes at this time of year people can get soooooo grouchy that there is too much pressure that they can't handle it. It's like that at work right now.

awelyn: Nice to here that it's only an infection. Maybe he has a Guardian Angel. :angel: This is his.

swabby: I'll take you just the way you are. :disco: It's hard to find people with your type of personality. You sound like a man that I could sit with and talk for hours. I did that to a roommate of mine one time. We talk for so long that it was night when we stopped.

Old Tom: Someone got me a rabbit that big at Easter and believe it or not I ate it all at one time. What can I say: I AM A CHOCOHOLIC. This is one thing that I can never get sick on. Plus the bonus is that I don't gain weight on it either. Try Chrysanthemum tea for your cold. Best thing to use is the real flowers. Works wonders.

Ancestry: I'm second generation born Canadian. What that means is that my paternal grandfather and grandmother came from Belgium. What that means is that I acknowledge my being both Canadian and Belgium. Both families did not know it but they were on the same boat coming across the Atlantic. My grandfather was 12 years old and my grandmother was 6 months. My mother's side is Scottish, English, Celt. I am proud of my heritage. I started a family tree some years ago and still working on it.

Favorite part of LOTR: I guess my namesake says it all. It's when Gandalf and the Balrog were fighting in Khazad-dûm and Gandalf went off the edge. I know that he came back in TTT but I still :cry: my eyes out. (This includes movies and books). I might be a Frodo Fan but the way WETA workshop created the balrog on film was sooooo amazing.

Well I should go. I'm going to surl up to LOTR with my LOTR cd's and read the day away.

Namarie

Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 09:09
Just a flyby post: Awelyn, I'm so glad that your husband's illness was nothing more serious than an infection! :disco: :hug:

I hope to get back tomorrow on a better time; I've been really busy for the whole day, and in addition I didn't sleep well last night so that I'm tired as well. :yawn: Got to concentrate on my duties on this site after I've got a proper night sleep.

So, good night, everybody!
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 09:45
Swabby you are naughty! I was giggling for ages at MT and myself nibbling on chocolate ranger but you are right I did start it - in fact I started the whole kilt thing way back and look where its got me!

My favourite Tolkien moment? Difficult but I can certainly identify with Bilbo when all the dwarves start coming to his house. When the family descends on me Christmas Eve I shall feel exactly like that! I am also fond of Merry and Pippin getting back together in Minas Tirith.

My ancestry is a mixture of Scottish, English and Irish which is fairly common for a native Scot - what I always think is terrific is when I hear someone who is obviously not ethnically from these islands speak with a Scottish accent. I have ordered food in Chinese restaurants from waiters with broader accents than mine.

Love to everyone - you are wonderful people - wouldn't it be a lot easier to have world peace if we were in charge - barring disputes over chocolate rangers of course!

HT:heart:
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 11:03
Hello ,
My husband is still in alot of pain but improving. He has an acute infection of the prostate. He is taking antibiotics and another drug. Thank you for all the well wishes.

One of my favorite parts is in the FOTR when Gandalf and Frodo are talking on page 50 in my book and Frodo says I wish it need not have happened in my time and Gandalf says So do I and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide.All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. I think I just take that to heart. I only have a certain amount of time on this earth and it is up to me what I do with it.

I am looking up some Christmas stories to share with all of you.

Mith, I have been through awful and sad time with churches but I use my Bible only and I don't let them tell me how to live my life.
I on occasion have a cocktail and I drink wine. I have been judged harshly for that stance and dancing. I use my Bible for my life decisions. It has got me into trouble with some churches. Strange they should be loving and understanding but are so judgmental at times. Well, Mith we love you and hang in there.

Thank you Mowin Get some rest.

Ht it is good that chocolate melts quickly or would you be at the dentist often and Balrog too. Balrog I love your avatar and I agree that WETA did a great job on the movies.

Swabby I would prefer an Elf , Legolas.Or the other blonde one I forget his name from the TT movie.
I have to go and finish shopping I just found out 2 days ago that I am having Christmas dinner at my house. I want to try a Finnish dish for Christmas thjat a friend told me about with my own usual dishes.
Be back later.
Awelyn 418
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 11:23
Glad to hear that you weren't stricken with "the black breath" Old Tom. If Rose is feeling better, I'll keep "my ranger" to myself. Of course, Rose, if you're having a relapse, I'll send him over quickly. "The hands of the king are the hands of a healer." They'd surely cure me!!!:heart:

Like that offer of an edible Viggo, swabby. It would be so difficult to take a bite out of that lovely "package." Perhaps I could lick "choc-o-gorn" into oblivion...oh, that sounds rather naughty! Should I save you a little "piece" of him for you, balrog ?
I bet I'm having chocolate ranger dreams tonight......:evil::heart:

I also love the Music of the Ainur, Mith. I can "feel" the music in "the elements of the earth." Now I know how it got there. Fave movie scene (besides when Aragorn is "girding his loins" for battle prior to Helm's Deep) is the ride of the rohirrim to Minas Tirith. Book favorite scene is Gandalf's meeting the Witchking at the gate of Minas Tirith. Now I want to plug in my ROTK EE and "soak in" the wonder of Tolkien and middle earth.

MT
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 01:12
I missed it out of my last post, but as regards my fav part of LotR, well my avie says it all. Sam on the final stretch to Mount Doom and carrying Frodo. *reaches for box of tissues*.

Off for an early night. Office Christmas Lunch tomorrow. Mixed feeling about that.

Blessings everyone, and extra blessings for your hubby, Awelyn.

Hugs

Rose xx

[Edited on 21/12/2005 by Rosearialelven]
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 02:40
Just a flying visit as work seems to have gone ballistic at the moment. I had a message from a colleague that we’ve been asked to do a report by Christmas Eve. Cripes, don’t some people ever stop to think that some of us need a holiday!.

It’s really interesting to read about people’s ancestry. I’ve been researching my family tree and I’ve managed to get back to the early 1700’s but ran into a problem as one ancestor had a child out of marriage so I’ve no father’s name. I’m mainly English with some Danish blood as well.

awelyn418 glad to hear that your husband’s problem turned out to be an infection, hope it clears up soon.

Favourite part of LotR – book - has to be the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen and film has to be Frodo leaving for the Grey Havens, the wonderful change of expression on his face when he turns round, as if a huge weight has been lifted from his shoulders (sniff sniff- pass the tissues please Rose!)

MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 03:19
Wishing you blissful rest morwin and passionate dreams. Chocolate covered rangers MAY be included.

Finnish dish sounds lovely, awelyn. Let me know how easy it is and how it turns out. Although I am not known for my culinary abilities, I cook occasionally and it turns out tolerable.

I get so aggravated by judgemental Christians!!In my bible it says that ALL have fallen short. Christianity is all about grace,acceptance and forgiveness. The greatest joys I have experienced have come from knowing that I am loved and accepted as I am. I'm not "done" yet, but God loves me as I am and I know that he loves each one of you, too. (Forgive my rant, please.)

Hope that you make the timeline for your report, morwenna. Seems like someone's acting a little bit like a Scrooge???

Just finished chatting with eldest son. I am so thankful that he is relatively nearby and will be spending Christmas here. Hubby works Christmas day, so I'm usually alone that day, which I don't mind too much.
Haven't gone to a New Year's Eve party for years because hubby's job has him up very early (3 am). Maybe I can crash someone's houseparty or go downtown and "pop into" one of the tents set up for the celebration.

MT
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 03:36
scots56 wrote:
Do any of you have a favorite part of Tolkien's work to share?
For the longest time my favorite moment was Éowyn’s duel with the Lord of the Nazgûl. He taunts her, “Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!”. She laughs and replies, “But no living man am I! You look upon a woman…”, and her helmet falls away to reveal her long golden locks. I was disappointed how Jackson handed this in his film. He even cut away mid-encounter, showed another scene, before returning to conclude it.

I love the Khazad-dûm chapter that balrog refers to. Being a musician, I tend to be aurally oriented, and I find the beating of the drum to be very evocative. I especially love the last paragraph:
…Faint and far beneath the earth rolled the slow drum-beats: doom. A thin black smoke trailed out. Nothing else was to be seen; the dale all around was empty. Doom. Grief at last wholly overcame them, and they wept long: some standing and silent, some cast upon the ground. Doom, doom. The drum-beats faded.
There’s one brief little bit with Merry and Pippin at Isengard I love because its humor is so subtle:
The hobbits bowed low. ‘So that is the King of Rohan!’ said Pippin in an undertone. ‘A fine old fellow. Very polite.’

There's a similar bit of humor at the end of the scene describing the hobbits' dreams during their first night in the house of Tom Bombadil. Frodo, Merry, and Pippin all suffer nightmares. Both Merry's and Pippin's end when they hear the comforting words of Goldberry echo in their minds. Sam apparently had no such trouble sleeping:
As far as he could remember, Sam slept through the night in deep content, if logs are contented.
(A very clever way of saying that Sam "slept like a log". )

Of course I love the chapters in LOTR featuring Tom Bombadil. I particularly like the scene where Tom, to Frodo’s great dismay, makes the Ring disappear:
Tom laughed again, and then spun the Ring in the air—and it vanished with a flash. Frodo gave a cry—and Tom leaned forward and handed it back to him with a smile.
I can almost envision Tom pulling the Ring from Frodo’s ear!

balrog wrote:
Old Tom: Someone got me a rabbit that big at Easter and believe it or not I ate it all at one time. What can I say: I AM A CHOCOHOLIC. This is one thing that I can never get sick on. Plus the bonus is that I don't gain weight on it either. Try Chrysanthemum tea for your cold. Best thing to use is the real flowers. Works wonders.
It’s funny that you should mention a chocolate rabbit. My wife had bought me one at Easter. When she gave me the bear she said that she had bought it for me because I had liked the rabbit so much.

I drink herbal tea every day, mostly mint. I’m not sure whether I’ve ever tried Chrysanthemum tea but it sounds very good. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 03:49
I had meant to include this image in my previous post:

Ho! Ho! Ho! Tom Bombadillo!

(In case you're wondering, I photoshopped images of Santa Claus
and the Tom Bombadil trading card by Decipher to create Santa Tom.
)
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2005 03:39
There are so many wonderful scenes in PJ's three movies that it would be easier for me to list my least favorite instead of my favorite, but I'll give it A try.
I still get goosebumps and feellings of saddness right after Gandalf falls and the fellowship exits Moria. The music with the boy's choir is hauntingly beautiful and sad at the same time, while Sam is crying and unconsolable, Legolas looks shocked and confused, Gimli is beside himself, Merry and Pippin are consumed and paralized with grief, Boromir shows concern for the living, Aragorn shows leadership and Frodo is A picture of shock, extreme sense of loss and despair. Other scenes that stir me emotionally are the death of Boromir, the near-drowning of Sam and the last scenes of the movie where Sam and Frodo are on A peak surveying the task in front of them while bathed in the warm golden light of the setting sun. The music combined with incredible visuals is often all it takes to give me chills.
In "The Two Towers" there is that scene where Grima is talking to Eowyn and I thought for A moment that she was going to succumb to his creapy come-on. Maybe it's just me, but I found that scene to be strange. Miranda Otto's big expressive eyes and fine acting creates several stirring moments throughout TTT, otherwise. The preparing of the young boys for battle at Helm's Deep was especially gripping for me.
There is far too much for me to say about "The Return of the King". Watching that movie is to get hit on the head with A brick, fired out of A cannon, trampled by A heard of buffaloe and drug behind A wild horse. It leaves me feeling spent and bruised, like an old tire discarded on A desert road.
I love the books also, but I don't get the emotional roller coaster ride from them the way I do from the movies. Perhaps that is because I relate so strongly to music and visual images.

How I wish our little group could be together, face to face. I'll bet we could really have some lively conversations!

Old Tom, you make A striking good looking (Although A bit young) Saint Nick!

[Edited on 22/12/2005 by swabby]
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2005 03:42
Tom what a delightful photo of you! The Santa spirit definitely lives in you.

Favourite Tolkien moment too hard to choose right now. LIkely it would be the creation story in the Silmarilion, though I can open the books at any page and within a short time find something that touches me. It's often in the poetry and music of the language itself. It's the same reason I go "ga-ga" over Shakespeare. It's in the cadence of the words.

I've just finished the WOT book (not bad, actually), so now I have a chance to re-read the trilogy. Maybe I'll locate a favourite spot and share it with you. I DO know that I was always touched by the healing of Eowyn's heart and well as her body. so those scenes have a special place for me.

Chocolate adventures are delightful to read, as always. the imagery that they conjure up is really quite ....um.....yummy, shall we say?

Awelyn do tell us about the Finnish dish. I might recognize it, as we had a lot of Finnish immigrants settle in this part of Canada. Their saunas, sports and cuisine have been adapted into local culture. Everyone loves Finn pancakes covered in strawberry or blueberry sauce, for instance.

OK - off to work (well, as much work as one would expect to do on the second-last workday before the Christmas break). Sorry that you're under pressure Morwenna. I hope it goes well and that you can breathe a sigh of relief afterwards. Hmm -shouldn't someone consider giving you a bonus for extra effort at this time?
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
awelyn418
Send Message
on: December 22, 2005 05:35
Actually Morwin could share more Finnish Christmas recipes than I . I was going to try smoked salmon or the plum pudding Morwin is the one that shared Finnish dishes with me and she is from Finland. Maybe we could ask her to share some recipes.

OTB I loved the photo and you do look jolly .

Swabby you have a wonderful expressive way with words. You should try your hand at writing. I love the imagery of your words.

MTMS ,I am so sorry that your husband has to work on Christmas bah humbug. I have had to spend guite a few New Year's Eve's by my self to because of my husband's job. So, I understand how you feel. If we lived closer We could get together. My husband is talking about a hunting trip in the spring and it is in Mississippi and I said well you can take me and drop me in Alabama and I will visit with MTMS. It is a weekend hunt. It may not come to fruitstion but if it does would you like some company in the spring?

Can you believe I still have one more present to buy. I thought I was doing so well.I will just go and get it over with and use my imigination to get it done. I could be shopping at the open market at the shire or fighting the crowds of orcs at Helm's Deep.

Well, I'd better get to it.
Awelyn :heart:
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: December 22, 2005 09:41
Whee, just one day at work, and then I'll be off for a week. Morwenna, you're not the only one who is not thought to need any holiday - our customers keep bringing us samples as usual... :dizzy: The lab tech who is at work next week will be jumping on the walls when she finds out what awaits her...

Fortunately, I slept better last night - alas, there were no chocolate covered Rangers in my dreams though.

I'll still have to leave my ancestry and favourite Tolkien moments for later. But, if anyone's interested in exchanging recipes for their traditional Christmas dishes, I'm glad to provide mine.

These mornings, I've got a Silmarillion moment when I've left for work. It's been cold, and there's been frost on the car windows; but the frost has often formed beautiful patterns on the glass. It always reminds me of how Ilúvatar shows Ulmo to what kind of beauty Melkor's attempts to destroy his part of the Music have actually turned.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2005 01:48
There are so many wonderful scenes in PJ's three movies that it would be easier for me to list my least favorite instead of my favorite, but I'll give it A try.
If it's Jackson's movies we're talking about, my favorite would be the scene between Gandalf and the balrog. We even get a second shot of it at the beginning of TTT. I love the music when Gandalf and the balrog are battling as they fall. Of course, in the movie it's really subdued in volume but on the soundtrack you can hear it really well.

A close second would be Gandalf and Bilbo in Bag End after the party. It's very close to the book, and the acting of Sir Ian (McKellen) and Sir Ian (Holm) is fantastic!

Tom what a delightful photo of you! The Santa spirit definitely lives in you.
OTB I loved the photo and you do look jolly
Of course you know that's not me, right? (Click on the link below the photo.)

Here's one of Old Tom and his pretty lady taken within the last couple of months at our Tolkien Fellowship Society's Dol Amroth feast. (One of the hors d'oevres that was served was nicknamed "Fellowshrimp of the Ring". )
awelyn418
Send Message
on: December 22, 2005 07:03
OTB yes I keep forgetting it's not you . Somewhere in the back of my mind it's there but it stays there. I can tell that you and Goldberry are working out. You two look great.

Swabby I was talking about my favorite part in the book . Did you want the movies? Swabby also my son wrote a Christmas Cd and sent it to me. He is playing at a Winery every other Sunday and at coffee houses in Seattle and Spokane. He plays folk music and some that really does not fit into a category.He also has a job and he goes to college . He is going to be a History teacher but he loves to sing. It makes me cry. I am so proud of him.

Morwin, what a hectic schedule you have and I see why you need your break Morwin I would like the plum pudding recipe if possible.

It is 11:00 pm. here so time for me to go to bed.
Awelyn :heart:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2005 03:06
Old Tom that's what I get for blasting through the posts and not reading carefully :blush: Silly me. Oh well, I still think the Santa spirit lives in you, based on what you have revealed about yourself in the other posts.

Finn recipes - yes, I might very well do that. If anyone wants Ukrainian recipes for Pyrohy (a.k.a. perogies), borscht or a boiled wheat/honey/poppyseed mixture called "kutia", these are some of our traditional Christmas specials and I will gladly share them.

More later - have to actually do some work now.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2005 03:35
Sorry about mistaking you for the picture you presented as yourself, old Tom. I think it was an easy mistake for some of us to make.

My two oldest sons will be leaving Houston tonight and driving this way. I'm to expect them early Saturday morning, and since I get up with the chickens, that will be no problem. There will be no grandaughter, however, and they'll only be staying for two days before heading back. I guess that's how it is.

I know there are many differences between Tolkien's book and PJ's movies, but the two are so mingled and mixed together in my mind that it's hard for me to think of one without thinking of the other. Favorite parts of the book don't stand out as well to me as favorite parts of the movies do. There again, that may be because it's easier for me to recall an image than it is A passage. Perhaps if I'd never seen the movies it would be different. I did enjoy the chapter about the stewed rabbits and taters and that funny exchange between Sam and Gollum. I enjoyed all the chapters, but that one stands out A little.

I don't know what "frappr" stands for, but I somehow managed to put myself on one. Swabby
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2005 04:29
Loved the Santa Dillo pic, Rose, even if it wasn't "our" Old Tom. I can see 9 dwarves pulling his sleigh through the Old Forest and down the road into Bree.

No dreams of chocolate rangers or visions of sugar plums... yet!

At the faulty Christmas party, the "maintenence manager" was trying to get me to dance on the table. He said that he had lots of dollar bills in his pocket. What was he thinking? Doesn't he realize that I am "ranger material"?

Hope that your sons make the trip to your house safely and quickly swabby. I'm sorry that your granddaughter won't be there. I miss having my grandchildren around, especially at Christmas, my favorite holiday. Here's an extra hug since she won't be there. :hug:

I hope that work is going smoothly for those of you that are still "at it." I am so fortunate to be off for a bit. You know, I think retirement will be fun. I hope it can be affordable.

Going to check out the Viggo advent calendar. It's good to start your day off with a smile! Wishing each of you a good one!

MT
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2005 09:51
I just popped in to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas to all at FOF. I don't think I will get back into CofE till late on Christmas Day. Family descending tomorrow night for drinks and nibbles and housework not yet done!

I wish you all joy

love

HT:heart:
Magoleth
Faerie Godmother of Nienna & Weeper of Nienna
Send Message
on: December 23, 2005 02:54
May I thank you all for the lovely Christmas Cards received and the good wishes from Thunder Bay and Finland and the USa and also dear little England.

May I wish you all peace and happiness at this lovely time of year and may you have a really good Christmas. I shall - my son is coming home, he phoned me today. It will be the first time in many years that we will all be together for Christmas day. I am so looking forward to it.

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2005 04:18
Christmas Blessings to all my friends and fellow Tolkien devotees at FoF. May you ever walk in the Light of Peace, Love and Joy. May your future be filled with the gifts of Health, Happiness and Good Fortune. May your larders be full, your hearths ever blazing warmly and your spirits filled to the brim with the goodness of life.

Thank you for the gifts of your imaginations, good humour and generosity. :love: :love: :love:

Neenime
awelyn418
Send Message
on: December 23, 2005 06:12
To my friends in England Happy Christmas,to my friend in Finland Morwin Hyvaa joulua. Joyeux Noel if you speak French in Canada,Neenime do you say Merry Christmas?

A Christmas story ,Trouble At The Inn by Dina Donohue. Wally was 9 and in the second grade. He was slow and clumsy and had a heart of gold. Wally was great with younger children he was their protector. The year of the story Wally was going to be the Inn keeper in the Christmas pageant. Some of the townspeople thought it was mistake but the director would not budge in her choice. They practiced every week for 6 weeks and Wally's lines where, What do you want, Joseph would say We seek lodging and Wally would say seek it somewhere else there is no room in this inn for you. Joseph would say, but please my wife is tired and she is going to have a baby. Wally would say, Be GONE. The night of the play came and everything was going great until Wally's part. He said all his lines fine until He said seek lodging elsewhere While Joseph pleaded with the Inn Keeper a look came over Wally's face .It was a look of compassion and as Mary and Joseph turned to leave Wally said Wait, Joseph bring Mary back. She can have my room.Some people in town considered the pageant ruined yet many,many others considered it the most Christmas of all Christmas pageants they had ever seen.

Sorry this was so long. Merry Christmas friends.
Awelyn
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: December 24, 2005 12:10
Wishing everyone here a Happy Christmas and New Year blessings :love:

Here's to another year of wonderful posts, friendship and a shared love of all things Tolkien - including rangers with or without chocolate

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2005 02:35
Merry Christmas, All! I raise a glass of my favorite beverage of choice to all of you this day. Have a very merry day and a day of joys with those who matter the most to you as you celebrate the holiday season in whatever way you do.

Here's to another year of wonderful posts, friendship and a shared love of all things Tolkien - including rangers with or without chocolate

How's about 'with or without kilts' as well? :naughty:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2005 03:14
To my friends from the North, East (even across the Sea), West and South, I wish you bountieous blessings. May our fellowship last long and grow stronger while we are together.

In my heart I feel :"That this is the purpose for which you are called hither. I have not called you to me, strangers from distant lands. You have come and are here met, in this very nick of time, by chance it may seem. Believe rather that it is so ordered that we, who sit here, and none others, must now find counsel for the peril of the world."

Long may this fine fellowship continue.

MT
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2005 04:00
Just finished the last of the shopping. The queues.. Anyone would think there was going to be a siege. Lol!!

May I echo all your thoughts and wish you the very best for the Season and the New Year.

I just received this from Scots56. I wanted to share it with you. Lol!! Thanks Scots.

SUV Black Boxes

The National Transportation Safety Board recently divulged they had covertly funded a project with the auto makers for the past 5 years, whereby the auto makers were installing black box voice recorders in four-wheel drive pickup trucks and SUV's in an effort to determine in fatal accidents, the circumstances in the last 15 seconds before the crash.

They were surprised to find in 41 of the 50 states the recorded last words of drivers in 61.2 percent of fatal crashes were,
"Oh Sh *t !"

Only the states of Oklahoma, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, North Dakota were different, where 89.3 percent of the final words were: "Hold my beer, I'm gonna try something."

Haste ye back. Hugs to everyone.

[Edited on 24/12/2005 by Rosearialelven]
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2005 04:36
Of course old Tom didn't purposely misrepresent himself, he would not do such A thing.

Though we are separated by latitude, longitude, time zones, socio-economic factors, culture, smog, the condition of our teeth and number of missing/modified body parts, we are as one in our love for all things Tolkien, and that makes us A "family" of sorts. On this Christmas eve, 2005, I wish my Tolkien family all the best that life can provide. It is also my wish that you may eat or drink anything you desire without adverse results, especially weight-gain. If anyone receives something that resembles A lump of coal, it is probably just an over-cooked biscuit. Merry Christmas from the Ozark hills, swabby:love:

Rose's post appeared while I was writing mine so I simply must comment. That "hold my beer" comment probably isn't far from the truth at all. A few years ago, I heard A true report that A policeman had pulled over A car for erratic driving (in one of the aforementioned states) and found A drunk blind man behind the wheel and A drunk female in the passenger's seat. When the cop inquired as to why A blind man was driving, the female told him that it was because "He's not as drunk as I am".

[Edited on 24/12/2005 by swabby]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2005 04:51
I'm glad you liked my little funny, Rose. Seeing that we here on the PoG have an enormous overabundance of the SUV's whose owners seem to drive like this, I found it highly amusing. Plus the reference to Nebraska and Arkansas ~~ *grins wickedly at Swabby*, I just couldn't resist sending that around.

Peace to all. :love:
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2005 07:31
This is a fine fellowship indeed, MT. What marvelous and creative holiday wishes from everyone. A true blessing for which I'm so thankful.

Loved your story about Wally, Awelyn. A small boy came to our door this morning offering to take out trash for 50 cents. When hubby told me about it, said he handed him an extra bag and gave him a dollar, I wished desperately we could do something more.When he told me the boy looked so sad it brought tears to my eyes. Don't know where the boy lives but will be watching for him and saying a prayer.

Magoleth, what a blessing to have your son join you. We do seem to appreciate loved ones even more when they have been away.

Swabby, good you will see your sons, sorry you won't see your granddaughter. My daughter & family are not flying home this year, will miss them and think of you and your granddaughter. But we can eat all we want, eh? Bring on the chocolate Rangers, please!

Baking a few last minute cookies here. (Passes cookie tray around to all.) Tonight is candlelight service then hubby and I have a small celebration. Tomorrow morning we head to Pennsylvania for the family visits. Monday we sleep, lol!

May you all have peace and joy and happiness throughout the new year. Merry Christmas and may God bless each of you. Love, hugs and cookies to all my FoF friends.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2005 08:41
At the faulty Christmas party

Rose, indeed the party was "faulty" if there were those sort of shenangins going on! Perhaps the "maintenance manager" needed a "politeness tune-up"?

Awelyn, love the story about the Christmas pageant that got it right. Thanks for sharing it.

Mith oh that makes my heart ache. I hope you can find him and help out a bit more.

Our church is hosting a dinner at the homeless shelter, so I had best be getting back to cooking the turkey for it.

Scots I think I'll have eggnog laced with brandy. Failing that, "a wee dram" of the single-malt stuff wi ldo nicely. :cheers:

swabby
the condition of our teeth and number of missing/modified body parts

Oh, my, there's a story there I am sure. And since I am having tooth-sensitivity pain something fierce since yesterday, that comment is particularly a propos.
<< First1920212223Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email