<< First2122232425Last >>
Author Topic:
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part IV
on: December 30, 2005 12:13
Hello everyone,
Reading with interest all the things going on in your lives.
We too have had grey days here. Not much of a peep of sunshine over the whole of Christmas break so far. I'm counting down the time now till school starts again and thinking how truly awful it will be to have to get out of bed before 7:00 a.m. again. Two glorious weeks is enough to spoil a person. Still, I love my job and am looking forward to seeing my students again and hearing all of their 8 year old Christmas stories. They always have so much to tell after Christmas. They are such cuties.

Congrats on the new dog. We have a dog about the same age, though he's always been just a friend. He's like one of my kids. We have a play session every morning and if I look the slightest inclined to offer him any human food he stands at my elbow, literally, and waits patiently. It's so cute he usually ends up with something. Yesterday it was the crust of a piece of pie. He's a black lab and very devoted to me and my husband.

Hope you all have a Happy New Year filled with lots of wonderful discoveries like: chocolate covered (or not) Rangers, tiny woman and great days filled with every thing you could want. I really appreciate being able to read and post among such fine people as all of you.
faramirgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2005 12:51
(((((everyone)))))) thanks and I have a breather until Jam. 17th to where I can visit with you all for a well. It is so good to to be back and read what is going on in everyones life.

I do hope that everyone had a wondeful New Year.

Love to all
Love Faramirgirl
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: December 30, 2005 03:44
Hi Brandywine :wave:
That is a good age if I would have finished my degree that would have been the age I would have wanted to teach that or First grade.

My daughter has a yellow lab and he is truly devoted to her and her family. He will go in the kids rooms and check on them and lay in their floors for a bit and then go lay in the hall for the rest of the night. If the kids are outside he is there taking care of them. He is a great dog.

Faramirgirl that is great that you get a break. I always looked forward to those when I went to college.
I hope everyone has a great New Year.

Awelyn 418
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2005 06:07
I don't think that any of us here at FoF could be called "dull", Neenime. That's one of the reasons I feel so "at home" here.
Know what you mean about terra firma. I don't like heights, especially when there is swaying involved. Put my feet on the ground (or maybe a table) and I'll sway away. Need to have a firm foundation underneath me.

Can you believe it brandywine, our free time is slipping away??? I'm relishing every moment. For me, work is getting up at the un-Godly time of 5:30. I am at school at 7:00 and have gym duty at 7:15 ,3 mornings each week.) I won't be looking forward to that. Wish I could say that I'm ready to go back, but I am not. I don't dislike my job, I just like having my time to myself deciding what to do and when to do it.

Enjoy your freedom faramirgirl. Hope you do some things just for yourself.

Well, I did it this morning! I WOKE UP WITH A RANGER!!!:heart::love::heart:
Last night I watched the first dvd of Fellowship, EE version. I woke up early this am and popped in the 2nd dvd and guess who I saw on the screen? The scene is Gilraen's grave in Rivendell and there stands Aragorn, cleaning the leaves off his mother's image.:love: I love it when strong men show that their love is part of what makes them strong men.:heart: Seeing those soul wrenching eyes woke my heart as well as my senses from the grip of sleep. What a way to start your day!!!:heart::love:

Hope the rest of the day follows suit!!

MT
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2005 07:08
Just a quick hi. I am off to the local Greyhound Race Track tonight.

I have searched for a Ranger Store, but no luck. Lol!!

The little dog sounds lovely Awelyn.

Hi to everyone and I hope you have a lovely Anniversary Morwin. :love: Leather pants and spangles sound perfect.

Well got to dash. *trips over a cork on the floor....swabby really should be careful where he drops these. He he he he :twitch:

Hugs to all

Rosie xx
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2005 11:12
:wave: Aiya!

I just spent the day in Middle Earth, and it was lovely. After my P/T I came home and plugged in Return of the King. The tears started when Theoden dies and pretty much the rest of the film. Then I went on to look at the Easter Eggs on each DVD. Too much fun.

:angry: Back to the Mines for me next Wednesday. We had a burglary at school over the break. The orceses broke in and stole our desktops and flat-panel monitors plus all of the wireless Internet equipment. One of my student's mother is on the school board. She told him about it and he was very upset because all of their journals that they have written from November and December are gone with the computer in my room. Unfortunately it's probably drug related. But I guess that's why we have insurance. It's just going to be a hassle getting things all put back together again. At least we didn't walk into it first thing when we got back.

Hoping all of you have a safe and wonderful New Years!
Scots

[Edited on 30/12/2005 by scots56]
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2005 01:12
Rise up ye oldlings of this glorious hall
cast off thy bonds and heed my call
spread thy wings and fly up to the sun
and for goodness sakes, get your corks undone

I guess mine could have fallen off when I was on that panty raid at Rose's house. Swabby, uncorked
awelyn418
Send Message
on: December 30, 2005 02:19
Swabby , You just make my day. That poem made me smile and then laugh. I needed that laugh thanks. It is so nice to read all your post. No matter how I am feeling those posts give me a pick-me up

Scots how awful and your poor students losing their journals. You are right it is probobaly drug related and that is so sad.

Rose thank you she is so sweet.
I have to eat I will get back to you later.
Awelyn 418
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2005 03:52
of course that reference to "oldlings" in your poem didn't refer to me, swabby! But I am preparing to fly to the sun,or rather the moon. :disco:

I'm feeling a little "worldly" today, so I send out wishes in:

dutch: Geluck neuiwjaar!

french: Bonne annee!

redneck: "Whooo-weee!" (followed by several gunshot blasts)

ranger-obsessed: "I've got you, babe! Here's to another year together!" (said while looking into the eyes of standee):heart:
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2005 04:03
My bonds are cast
With wings spread wide.
I'm off to find where Rangers hide.

The sun is warm
corks ready to pop.
I look below and spy a Rangers shop. :naughty:

Scots: Words fail me....well they don't actually....just unprintable here. Lol!!

Well the clock's ticking. 2:00 pm on this side of the pond in the UK

Off to make something snacky and to check my drawers. *Looks suspiciously in swabby's direction* Lol!!

Hugs to everyone *trots off down the road, with a ranger under her arm.* :naughty:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2005 04:56
I swear, Rose's cleverness leaves even me at A loss for words. I'm sorry about the drawers, Rose, but that's the kind of behavior one can expect from an uncorked sailor. I tend to go for the well-worn look in skivvies, so I hope I didn't take your favorite pair.

Of course I would never call anyone with the youthfulness of A teenager "Old", MT. It was just A figure of speech. Even when you're 70, you'll still be A hot chick in my book. (Whew, that was close!)

Awelyn, I'm so glad I can make you laugh. I hope we can all laugh and be merry as much and as often as possible, especially Scots with her lousy string of bad luck. I know we all are hoping that happiness and good fortune will replace all the sorrow she has seen.
Rose has found the "Ranger Store" and it appears to be well-stocked with lots of lovable, leather-clad Aragorns who are ready and willing to make A Shieldmaiden smile, so rejoice all ye ladies! HT knows where there are plenty of kilt stores so you can personalize your Ara-baby just the way you like. I would have to say that the sun is shining, birds are singing and all is right with the world. Swabby "I have no cork, and I don't care"
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2005 05:47
Rose: I LOVE the Ranger store! I wonder if they do an online business??? hmmmmmmm

New Years is almost here! Yay! Not that I'm doing anything exciting mind, but it's always fun to start afresh. Tonight I'm going to spend some time with my FoF fellow writers chatting online and playing made up LotR games. Then it's off to a very quiet, very early New Years Eve party with some dear friends here in town. (Personally I'd rather stay home and online but I guess I have to go out into the RW once and awhile) One of the hosts has to get up at 4 a.m. to work the next morning, so we'll be home by 10 p.m. at the latest. Then it's online again with my friends to see in the New Year. So it should be fun.

I can't say that I'll be sad to see 2005 go into the record books, but my philosophy is that you become who you are by the experiences that you have in life. One can either lay down and cry or stand up and laugh. I choose the stand up and laugh. It's much more my style!

Only 4 more days of vacation. :cry: Then it's back to the mines for me. You know, no rest for the wicked and the ranger-obsessed don't need it. I'm covered both ways then I guess!

Alassëa Vinya Loa!

(My most humble apologies to The Professor on what I am absolutely sure is the incorrect translation of New Year's wishes. But hey, you don't get anywhere if'n you don't try!
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2005 08:02
It's a miracle! Thank you, Rose, for finding a Ranger :love: store! What a feeling, can see why it took your breath away! We can all have a Ranger of our very own. :heart: :naughty: :love: This all made me smile & laugh, great job on the pic, Rose! You can get a few extra ones to guard your drawers.

We are going out with neighbors church group. There will be dinner and the rest is up to us. Hubby doesn't drink so will probably be home early. Wonder if a Ranger standee would work. Anyhow, sounded like fun to get out a bit on New Year's Eve - has been quite a while since we've done that.

Love and hugs to you all! Wish everyone Happy New Year that fills us all with a joy and a peace. These truly are some fun years and we all seem young at heart. Here's to happiness for all my FOF friends! :cheers:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: December 31, 2005 02:27
:cheers: A toast to all my FOF friends and a Happy New Year to all of you.My daughter and I are staying home and toasting each other at midnight.We bought party hats and noise makers.
awelyn:heart:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2005 06:27
Rose, you found it....A RANGER STORE!!!! :heart: :love: :disco: :hug:

And your timing is perfect-now I'll have lots of handsome, scruffy, delicious dunedain rangers to pucker up with come the striking of midnight. Not a bad way to start a new year!!:love:

Now stand back and let me through. I have a job to do and I am a professional.

MT
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: January 01, 2006 02:41
HAPPY NEW YEAR to all my fellow FoF:s! :cheers: Let's hope that 2006 will be a good year for all of us! We celebrated with a couple of friends that we had invited to our place; we consumed a few bottles of beer and listened to rock classics, but no wild partying here. And tomorrow, it's back to work for me...

Thank you everybody for your Happy Anniversary wishes! :hug: As I said, we did nothing special this time, but we already have some ideas of how we might celebrate when we hit 20.

Rose, that "Ranger Store" pic is just brilliant! And, swabby's poetry never fails to raise a smile...

Scots, what a nasty setback to your students. The computers can always be replaced, but all the work that was lost with them can not.

Well, my gallery duties call...
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2006 05:49
For those of you who may have attended New Year's partys or who may have just stayed home and had A few, here's hoping that you're feeling well today. Me, I didn't have A drop, but I would have if some of us here had been able gather somewhere. Wishful thinking, I know. I do A lot of that. Now I'm wishing someone would make my breakfast so I won't have to.
So, it's A brandnew year and I have A brandnew LotR calender hanging on the wall. Do you think we'll still be able to get those five years from now? I hope so.
I don't usually make resolutions, and I'm not sure I'm making one now, but I will say that I'm going to try extra-hard to start painting again. I've been saying that for quite A while, but I really do need to actually do it. I haven't painted anything since 1992. That's too long.
I just remembered that I don't know if we have any blackeyed peas. It's A tradition, you know. I don't know where the heck it came from, but it is said to be written, on whatever it is that they write it on up there, that one must eat blackeyed peas on New Year's day in order to have good luck for the following year. Eureeka! Scots didn't eat her blackeyed peas last year! Yes, that is the only explanation for all the bad luck she has had. Please, Scots, eat your peas today! It's the only way. All of you must eat your blackeyed peas! The last time I was foolish enough to not eat them was 1969 and that was the year I got my first hemmeroid. ("hemi's", I call them) Well, I gotta go check the pantry right now for blackeyed peas. I hope this warning reaches all of you in time. Swabby
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: January 01, 2006 06:46
LOL Swabby! Well, I slept away the New Year. For some reason, I was absolutely exhausted last night and crashed about 6:30 p.m. Woke up with a lovely dehydration headache, which water and coffee got rid of. Hoping you all had wonderful New Years celebrations. For me, my resolution is to get back in shape! My blood pressure was up at my last check up as well as my weight (roll eyes) and I know I can get myself back to where I want to be without all the medications the doctor wants to shove down my gullet. Heck, I tell my patients it's better to do lifestyle changes than take a handful of pills! *sigh* Ah well, here's to 2006 and may it be better for everyone than 2005 was. :hug:
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2006 08:04
Happy New Year, my merry friends! :wave:

Old Tom and his pretty lady were supposed to meet with the other members of the TFS today but unfortunately the winter storms whipping through the area this weekend has made travel a bit precarious. Instead we'll be going to see "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" later this morning with a friend and her son. Then we'll probably all come back to Old Tom's house to eat, drink, and watch some videos.

No partying here last night. We turned in shortly after 10 PM (my usual bedtime) so we could get up early for our journey...the one we're not making. Bless those newsfolks out there reporting on road conditions and all those folks with Caltrans working on the clearing up the roads.

I've heard about the blackeye tradition, swabby. I think that's a Southern thing. I've spoken with other folks at work and it seems that each culture has its own traditions to bring prosperity in the new year. As for myself, I took a look at my 401K account on Friday and made a few adjustments there that I hope will bring me (greater) future prosperity.

You ladies crack me up with your Ranger obsession, and, Rose, that Ranger store is too much!

It's nice to see Brandywine and Faramirgirl again. Welcome back, ladies!

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of the computers and the work done on them, Scots.

Swabby mentioned his new calendar. Last year I had the Tolkien LOTR 50th Anniverary calendar featuring art works of our dear Professor. My 2006 calendar features the Professor's art work for The Hobbit. It is very beautiful indeed, and I look forward to looking at it each day at work.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2006 08:10
:cheers: Happy New Year to all of my favorite "over 40s"! I spent an absolutely lovely evening with the FoF writers group. We celebrated the New Year together online as it came into each of our respective time zones. We were most impressed that Rose stayed with us the entire time. Go, Rose! There was much virutal clinking of raised glasses and a great time of fellowship online. I feel truly blessed that all of you have come into my life.

Black-eyed peas. Hmmmmm I need to check out the larder to see if I have any of those to consume today. Now, the spousal unit wouldn't go near them, but I love to eat them. Maybe a whole bag would ward off any bad vibes that happen to stray my way.

Again, many heartfelt wishes for a wonderful 2006.
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2006 08:49
Happy New Year 2006! New Years Eve was a good one. Selected the buffet and ate too much, could not finish my second glass of wine. The group from the church were very nice, not stuffy, about 14 of us total. The band played lots of oldies, Motown and some soft rock. Went home about 11 and watched the local celebration called the Walleye Drop on TV. A local town called Port Clinton is called the "Walleye Capital of the World". Anyhow they use the fish drop like the ball on Times Square. Kind of corny but different.

Swabby, I was raised with eating pork and sauerkraut for good luck. Many years it did not work, must be because there were no black eyed peas! Wow, now we know the secret, thanks!

Belle, good luck on your resolution. Will be working on that one here as well. May 2006 be a healthful slimmer year!!

MT, like your way of thinking. Must be the mutual admiration/obsession for Rangers. :heart: Now that we all can have Rangers of our own was thinking of this: Get them all together and chasing them. While surely we would all know our very own Ranger we could still admire the view with many Rangers about while getting some exercise. The Ranger use possibilities are endless!

Made up my mind to quit smoking totally so had made a commitment to my dad at Christmas to quit on New Years. It is so much mind over matter kind of thing for me. Something to do or reach for so it will be replacing habits. Don't feel tempted because of my promise I know my smoking will now stay in the past. Why is it so much easier to do this for my dad and than it was trying to do it for myself? Well, whatever works!

morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: January 01, 2006 09:04
Happy New Year to all :cheers: I had a quiet New Year in with the family and am now gearing myself up for getting back to work.

Love the ranger store Rose, wonder if they will be having a New Year's Sale, two for the price of one would be good!
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2006 11:04
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL! :cheers: I drink to your continued good health and to honour your kind hearts and clever minds

We didn;t do any partying for new years - drifted in anout of consciosuness as we tried to watch THE BROTHERS GRIMM and a confusing, dark French flick with Jean Reno called EMPIRE OF WOLVES (Turks, drugs, cops, changed identities. Ooh-la-la!).

Went to an awesome service at the Unitarian Fellowship last night The theme was THE PHOENIX and there were several readings and stories about renwal, re--birthing ourselves and continually becoming who were truly are. We burned "out of date" and discarded ideas in a cauldron , spoke aloud our hopes for the new year and had a little coffee reception afterward. It was a great and very inspiring. Sang Dona nobis pacem as a round, as people brought up there old and new ideas to the altar.

Mith great that youa re giving up the weed. Good luck - send you strength and inspiration to overcome the cravings.

Belle good show - you CAN get your health under control I was overweight all my adult life and have gotten onto a very successful personal program of sensible eating, and enjoyable exercise. Not a diet, but alifestyle change. It is really paying off and I feel great. Not deprived or hard-done by, but more in control of my life. It helped me to see my body as the home of my soul and to stop abusing it with unhealthy living. My body is a thing to be loved and treated well. (and it doesn't hurt that hubby appreciates the change :blush

I'm sure you can count on your FoF friends for support. PM me any time !
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
awelyn418
Send Message
on: January 01, 2006 03:48
It is so much fun reading all the posts.I ended up seeing the new year in alone. My daughter said mom would you be mad if I went to a friend's house for awhile. I said no but I thought disappointed. You see I had bought party hats and noise makers and streamers that you throw and little champagne bottles that you pull and they make a noise like a firecracker. Well, at midnight I was outside making noise and throwing streamers and wearing a party hat toasting the new year. I did have fun :disco: and then I went to bed.

Neenime that service sounded wonderful. My pastor preached on the time that is given you and that you should take advantage of that time. He gave goals that he wanted our church to achieve for2006.
One was loving each other and the community and the world more. That is a goal I want to strive to achieve.
I too want to lose weight and be healthier Belle

OTB it still sounds like you had a good time today. I heard people talking about that movie at a restaurant where I was eating lunch today. I just loved that movie.

Swabby my mom always ate black-eyed peas on New Years day but not me . I like them but I eat them all year round.

I am listening to the soundtrack to ROTK and when Billy Boyd sings I get the chills. My daughter bought TT soundtrack and this one for me for Christmas and I love them both.

Mith last night in New Orleans they had a gumbo pot that was dropping or something like that anyway. Ball,fish , cooking pot it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Same to you Morwenna and Scots.

Awelyn 418:heart:
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2006 06:14
Garo Idhrinn Eden Veren! (Happy New Year!)

The company has gone and we are back from our trip to Missouri. I've read the posts in a whirlwind trying to catch up...10 1/2 inches of Ranger....hhhmmmmm. That conjures up thoughts that could make me blush! :naughty:

New Year's Eve was a quiet affair. The DH and I watched a fairly bad Jon Travolta movie and since I cannot drink due to surgery, had to get my champagne from the DH's lips.:heart:

Scots, what is your writer's group?

Only one more day of freedom and I too have to return to the orklings and the mines of Moria! Alas!

Swabby, your sketches of Frodo and Gollum were an absolute hit with my niece. They looked quite fancy matted and framed. Thank you again for sharing your incredible talent!

New Year's Resolutions:

EXERCISE!

Best part of LOTR--so many

I know it's not a part of the books but I like when Aragorn comes back from falling off the cliff after the Wargs attack on the way to Helm's Deep and Legolas says, "You're late...you look terrible!" and hands him the evenstar pendant.

and, of course, I love Rivendell.

Wishing you the best for the new year!

SE
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2006 06:58
Hi everyone. I would like to wish everyone a very HAPPY NEW YEAR. :cheers:

I would agree with scot56 that we did in fact bring in the New Year in 7 hours. I think we went across 7 times zones. Not quite sure. We started at 6pm CST and finished at 1am CST. I had a great time with the gang. We were all there at the end. I think the clinking that we did could be heard all over the Internet. We definitely did enough of it. I was sure tuckered out after that session.

I did make one New Years resolution. That is to try and visit the writers group I belong to. It will be a great adventure to do but I'm going to try my hardest.

Morwin: I must have missed wishing you a Happy Anniversary. Hope you had a great day even if you did not do anything.

I'm glad that MTMS has found her Ranger Store. Shop to you hearts content in there MTMS. :naughty:

I got introduced with black eye peas when I lived in the town I moved from. It was a lady from Ohio that asked me to taste them. They were great. Wish I had some recipes to use them in. Does anyone have any? You can PM me if you want.

Well I'm off to bed. Played games all day and the brain is soooo tired.

narmarie
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2006 04:05
Here's to 2006!! Hope it is a peaceful, healthy and prosperous one for everyone. :love:

It was the best New Year's Eve!! Clinking virtual glasses across the pond with my good friends. :hug:

Awelyn: That's kids for you. But you sound as though you enjoyed yourself nevertheless. :hug:

SE: Good to see you and taking champagne from the DH's lips. Wonderful, like a humming bird taking honey from a blossom.

Well, back to the Mines tomorrow although I am strangely looking forward to it. I think I would go stir crazy, if I didn't go out to work. :twitch:

No New Year resolutions as such, other than to echo balrog's ... to try to meet my fellow writers in person. :love:

TTFN :hug:

Rosie xx
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2006 04:34
Swabby: There were no black-eyed peas in my larder, so I substituted butter beans. Do you suppose that will work in the good luck department?

awelyn418: Kids will go their own way, now won't they? They'll figure it out when they reach our age and hopefully feel suitably contrite. How's the new member of the family doing by the way? I don't envy you housebreaking duty.

Rose: I think meeting up is a wonderful resolution for 2006. I hope we can make it happen. I am also bored enough today that I was up by 6:15 a.m., have put the last coat of primer on the ever-present kitchen cabinet doors, done laundry, and cleaned out my closet of old clothes to be taken to Goodwill. Hmmmmmm I think I need to sit in the den and plug in RotK appendicies to help get myself back in the proper mindset. Either that or get me back to work!

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2006 04:38
Glad to read about all your various exploits and New Years' celebrations. I started New Years' Day by cleansing my house with incense and then doing a Rune reading. It helps me to start my time in a centred, soulful way, and not just get swept up by the everyday things.

I then try to check back in with the Rune themes throughout the year. I don't believe that Runes or Tarot or anything else "knows" what is ahead for me. Instead, I use methods like that to enter into dialgue with my own unconscious awareness. That's the part of my mind/body that constantly notices and reacts to life, but it doesn't usually get my attention. I also work with my dreams, as they reflect various concerns and intuitions that I am generally too busy to notice consciously..

Hiking and photography session were great. It was crisp, sunny day and the snow glittered like diamonds. I think I have been bitten by the photo bug. It's nice to share it with hubby.

One more day off before heading back to work. SOme reading, some music, maybe alittle more hiking instore....

Have a great day everyone.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2006 05:07
Isn't balrog's avatar awsome? If that's how our sweet and docile balrog gets when her feathers are ruffled, we'd better be careful not to anger her.

I think you're right about the blackeyed peas tradition being A "southern" thing, old Tom. It is, after all, A southern food. They are (or were) A staple of blacks and poor whites, mostly in the south, along with other types of beans, potatos, greens, corn and flour. I ate A lot of them when I was growing up, but now I usually only have them on New Year's day. A sign of my greatly improved financial status, I suppose.
(late notes) Scots, if you had butter beans instead of blackeyed peas, I'm hoping that they will suffice. Being as you live on those midwest plains, and not in the south, perhaps his royal fickleness, the "issuer of good luck" will see fit to accept A much larger, but just as tasty bean.
And MT, you ate your blackeyed peas like A good shieldmaiden of the deep south, so now I won't have to worry about you.
Alas, my 14 yo son wouldn't eat his, and neither I nor Mrs. Swabby had the stomach to repeat the battle of "Peas-no-more Field" with the X-box Orcling as in years past. He will learn that his decisions have consequences.

Sindy, it thrills me through and through to know that something I've done has brought happiness to someone. It is A great honour to know that someone enjoys my work enough to frame it and hang it on the wall. My happy meter just went up two clicks. That is A great scene from "The Two Towers" you mentioned also. Remember too that Eowyn was watching from A few feet away and must have been using every ounce of restraint she could muster to keep from running up to him and throwing herself on him. I dare say that A few of our own Ranger lovers would not have used such restraint. (MT, HT)

Awelyn, I wish I could have worn A party hat and kept you company. I'm sorry you were left alone.

Neenime goes so many places and does so many things that I think she would wear me out if I were try and stay up with her. I know I would fall asleep during "The Brothers Grimm", and I like that movie. Then again, she might use her vast knowledge of spiritual, mineral and herbal remedies to soup me up and keep me going.

Mith, I want you to quit smoking. I know it's extremely hard to quit, but you must do it for yourself as well as for others. My oldest sister quit after smoking for 45 years. You can do it if you set your mind to it, and you've got all of us to give you words of encouragement. Just keep telling yourself that you are stronger than those cigarettes and that you aren't going to let them enslave you any longer. Later my friends, Swabby

[Edited on 2/1/2006 by swabby]
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2006 05:24
I should have a great 2006 swabby, for I ate blackeyed peas along with some fantastic Mexican cornbread that Mr. MT made. Sometimes it's a good thing not to be a good cook!

I also have the Hobbit calendar, Old Tom. I love the professor's drawings. I hope that other calendars featuring his artwork will be featured in the years ahead. The LOTR calendar I have has screen caps from the movies. Looking forward to July..that's "ranger month."

And with rangers, the possibilities ARE endless, Mith
, especially in July, when I am free and the days are long.:heart:
Good luck with your quitting the smoking habit. I wish you and Belle success in your healthful resolutions. I do not make new year's resolutions. Changes, for me, are better made and kept at other times during the year.

Two for one sale at the Ranger Store, morwenna? Where is my credit card? I think I need to rent a truck to haul my purchases home. I may even need to hire someone to drive me home, as I would have shopped till I dropped, literally. Not sure that my heart would be content even then, balrog , but it would be happy.:heart:

Great hearing from you SE. Alas, return to the Mines of Moria we must. I am reminded that time after Christmas seems to fly by and the end of the year is here before I realize it. Hope the orclings are good to you, at least for a day or so.

After coming home from the wedding (had a BLAST!!), I was alone to ring in the new year also, awelyn. Actually, I'm accustomed to it happening that way. I spent time with on-line friends at a virtual party in Minas Tirith. I even had a kiss from The Kingly One. :love: :naughty: :disco: :rolling: :cheers:
We had a New Year's Day covenant service at church on Sunday. It was a wonderful way to renew the bonds between ourselves and God. The pastor spoke on the importance of names and how what we are called influences how we act and who we are. I related alot of what he said to Tolkien and his folk in middle earth. We spoke our pledge aloud and again I thought of Tolkien when I said these words:
"Give me the work You would have me do.
Give me many tasks
Or have me step aside while you call others....

You are mine and I am yours. So be it.
May this covenant made on earth continue for all eternity."

Great way to start a new year!

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2006 08:09
MTMS your pastor sounds like an inspiriing person. Those are wonderful covenant words and I can well imagine that this sort of service wold be very inspirational. We certainly need that type of spiitual renewal on a regular basis, because the Mines and the PoG tend to grind us down, don't they?

I think humanity's impulse toward spirituality is hard-wired into us. It takes on many faces across the world but it lives on, even when peopel have become disenchanted with organized religion. The current upsurge in spiritual interest (current as in the past 20 years or so) is clearly not a passing fancy.

Say, Awelyn I wish I had been outside making noise with you. I've heard it's a Scotish tradition to bang pots ouside at midnight on New Year's Eve. Possibly to scare away evil spirits? Maybe scots or others can verify that for us.

Mith- just a note of interest. If you were a regular smoker, then your body is addicted to the nicotine and will rebel when it's missing from the system. Some people need help with that, whether it's nicotine patches or gum, so that their systems can make the adjustment gradually. Good luck - use all your Hobbit ingenuity, your Dwarvish strength, your Elvish grace and the medicine of Men to help you through.
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2006 09:28
SE, great to hear from you. Sent holiday vibes down your way. Was wondering how you were doing.

Thanks for the concern, but no need to worry. Had already made up my mind before New Year's and it was different from any other time. This time I was serious and there was no doubt. It is hard to explain but has not been that difficult this time. Have not made any fuss, don't feel deserving of any pat on the back as it was idiotic to have ever started. (Stubborn trait helps, lol!) So much is mental, once my word was given it was done. I highly value honor and would not do otherwise. Do not allow myself to even think of anything negative regarding this life improvement as it is all good!

Neenime, I can relate to what you said regarding inner awareness. That kind of thing helps me the most. And all the kind words and caring of FOF.

Swabby, what you said a while back about people not quitting was inspirational. Thanks for your kind thoughts, may you find a shop with tiny women, if that is your desire.

Love & hugs to all FOF! :heart::love: :hug:
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2006 09:46
:heart:Hi everyone

Hope you all had a good new year. I have been reading the posts every day.
Re Scottish new year traditions- I had not heard the one about banging pots to make a noise. What I know is that your first visitor (first foot as they are called) is supposed to be tall dark and handsome (remind you of anyone MT?) and is supposed to be carrying a lump of coal. The idea being that you will not be without heat throughout the year. The tall and dark bit is supposedly because an unwelcome visitor would have been a Viking who were shorter and fair haired. Another tradition was that the entire house was supposed to be cleaned before the bells (midnight) and all debts were supposed to be settled. I have a mortgage and hate housework so those are two traditions I don't follow!

Anyway things are getting back to normal or as we say after a holiday back to "Auld claes (old clothes) and porridge"

All the Best

HT:heart:
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2006 11:55
Forgot to add this little ditty inspired by the Ranger store pic.

How much is that Ranger in the window?
The one with the kilt and chain mail.
How much is that Ranger in the window?
I do hope that Rangers for sale!

Love

HT:heart:
<< First2122232425Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email