Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
Post Fans over Forty ~ Part IV
on: October 09, 2005 02:30
Yet again our wonderful thread just reached 600 posts!!! Since it's so much to wade through to find the last one, so I've creating the FoF Part IV. You can read our prior posts in Fans over Forty ~ Part III, Fans over Forty ~ Part II and the FoF Original. In the meantime, I'll ask one of the mods to lock that thread.

Here is RangerNorlin's original post of 6-26-2003, and the premise for this thread, although we have deviated from it many times, but always seem to come back to our Love of All Things Tolkien.
Tired of fans who think The Professor stole ideas from Harry Potter? Let's talk about a lifetime love of the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, aka The Professor - how has it shaped and changed your life over the years?

Here's to the Fans over Forty and another thread of more than 600 posts!!! :cheers:

~ ~ ~

I'd like to welcome all of the new FoF'rs and say hi to all of the not so new FoF'rs. I might not have much to say, but I'm keeping up with all of the posts! It is always so nice to know we're not alone. *warm hugs*
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part IV
on: October 09, 2005 03:14
:cheers: To all my friends on FOF. We sure do like to talk . We are a great bunch hip hip hooray for us. Hello Nenya nice hearing from you.
Awelyn 418
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 04:20
You are right awelyn, we DO have alot to say. You know, our sub-title could be The Council of The Wise.

Do you ever get aggravated with yourself for getting involved in something you didn't mean to get into in the first place? A little peace would be so very nice.........

IM'ed with my youngest son this morning. He lives in the Netherlands with his wife and my 2 precious grandsons. Sammy will be 2 on Friday and child #3 (reportedly a girl) is expected to arrive on Saturday. Sounds like an exciting weekend. Wish I were there to help/and see the new little one.

Cooler weather has made me hankering for some white chili. Here's the weight watchers recipe.

1 chopped onion
4 cups cooked chicken or turkey
2 (14 1/2) cans ready to serve chicken broth (fat free)
1 (4 oz) can Old El Paso chopped green chilies
2 oz. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
2 (15.5 oz.) cans white beans, drained
1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce
2 tsp Cumin
Spray pan with cooking spray. Add onions and celery,cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese. Blend well. Cover and cook 15-20 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. To serve, ladle into bowls and sprinkle with cheese.

That's so easy, even I can do it.

MT
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 08:14
Hey! Come derry dol! Hop along, my hearties!
Hobbits! Ponies! We are fond of parties.

Goldberry and I had a very merry time in Imladris where we once again got see to some friends we've made at other events and make some new ones. I'll post more details later when it's more convenient (it's after 11 PM here), but I will link to website where some images are posted:

LOTR Feast

There are a few images of Goldberry and I dancing, and one very nice one of Old Tom singing while Goldberry (in green) and others listening.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2005 01:30
Greetings to those whose ME names make my eyes cross and who seldom post.

Thankyou to miththolliel for your kind words about my poetry. I liked your poem very much.
Thankyou to Rose and MT and awelyn and scots56 and-----aw heck. These nice people are so generous with their compliments that my head has swollen up like A mailbox.

Tom got to sing? Just like those partying hobbits? Hey, I can sing too. HMM---HMM "I'm the barber of Saville---- Figaro figaro" I'd better stop, the dogs are howling.

A little more of my poem.

First A rabbit, then A fox, then came elves and dwarves
death was much too familiar A face upon these shores
blood ran red across Middle Earth and shadows filled the land
rumours of A ring I heard spewed death from Sauron's hand
an alliance formed of elves and men challenged Sauron's power
then Mordor fell to A broken blade and Isildur ruled the hour
Peace it reigned upon the Earth and shadows turned to light
For two and one half thousand years, no darkness dimmed our sight

My good old friend who came to watch the movies with me yesterday is A football fanatic, so I guess he's used to screaming at the TV. You should have him hollering every time Gollum showed up to attack the Hobbits on thier way to the fiery chasm. Then when Frodo stood at the precipice, hesitating to let go of the ring, my buddy went into full cussing at the quarterback-mode. "Just throw it in! Let go of it! Oh no! Gollum! Him again?" I would have laughed if I hadn't been totally in Tolkien's grip myself for the fiftieth time. Have A nice Monday my friends. swabby
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2005 02:50
Greetings FoF - this is a fine fellowship. I look forward to each visit.

Love the latest poetry contributions. The world of Middle earth is rich with story and imagery for us to work with , isn't it?

Today is THANKSGIVING DAY in Canada. we had our feast yesterday, so today my darling and I will be going hiking and to take some photos. The leaves will soon fly from all the trees so we have to enjoy this colourful time while we can.

The quake in Central Asia makes me think how very lucky we are in my part of the world. we manage to avoid most life-threatening weather and geological events. Six months of winter (or so it feels like) is a small price to pay. My heat goes out to the 2.5 million who have been left homeless. My mind can scarcely wrap itself around the concept of so many people hurting!

One thing I a very thankful for , is that Professor Tolkien shared his genius and his heart with so many of us. The Real World can engulf us with its demands - like horde of Orcs some days! Yet there is respite from it in the words, feelings and imagery of one unassuming little man, who looked like a Hobbit, thought like an Elf and gave us all a great and gracious gift.

Hannon le, professor Tolkien With apologies for probably inaccurate Elvish!

And a special Thanks to you all for sharing your thoughts, your humour and your creativity on this thread.

Thanks, RangerNorlin for leading the way with the original post. genius idea!

Now, use your imaginations , so that I can send you turkey, yams, acorn squash, gravy, garlic-and-leek -mashed potatoes and pumpkin cheesecake. And here's a flagon of fine wine to toast our collective health.

Namarie
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2005 04:02
Mae govannen everyonel :love:

So, Episode Four of the FOF. *round of applause*

If we have anything, we have certainly have staying power. :hug:

Wonderful continuation of your poem, swabby.

Neenime: [size=10]Happy Thanksgiving[/size] . *holds out plate for a serving of turkey, yams, acorn squash, gravy, garlic-and-leek -mashed potatoes and pumpkin cheesecake.*

*sniffs aroma* Mmmm mmmm!! *finds seat, sits down, starts to eat*

*talks round food* 'Scuse me....*hand in front of mouth* I agree Neenime about the escape into the books. I am reading FotR for umpteenth time, and fall into it like a pair of comfy slippers. I feel quite unhappy when I have to put the book down and begin work again. *sigh*

*points with fork to food* 'This really is delicious, Neenime.' *takes a mouthful of wine, then raised flagon to gathered companions*

'To us all, Ranger Norlin, and a moment's thought for those in peril wherever they are, for the animal kingdom, loved ones and most recently in Central Asia.'

Ir adgevedim (Until next we meet)

Rose xx

HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2005 06:00
Hi everyone!

Good to be in part 4 what a chatty family we have! I like your bits of poetry Swabby. Old Tom you certainly get around I must go have a look and see what you are up to now! I hope we never get bored of:
our obsessions with a certain ranger in certain items of clothing
Sock eating Orcs
Silly and sometimes beautiful poetry
LOTR collectables

Love to all

HT:heart:
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: October 10, 2005 08:58
Cheers to the fourth incarnation of this thread! :cheers: We sure are a talkative bunch - or at least some of us are, I'm not one of the most active myself... :rolleyes:

MTMS, your chili recipe sounds delicious, and not very difficult either. I think I'll give it a try one of these weekends.

Old Tom, I'm green of envy for all those LOTR events you have around there. People really seem to put a lot of effort to them! Here, there are hardly any; but now at least, I'm planning a mini-moot with some people I know from another messageboard. I've met a couple of them before, and this time, a few others were interested as well.

Happy Thanksgiving to the Canadians here!
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2005 03:33
Tom, you have such fun friends. No one is that cool here in the wastes of Forodwaith (if Nebraska can be Gorgorath, Ohio can be Forodwaith).

Hurray for us for gabbing on so much! Goes to show we'll never be bored in the nursing home: we'll talk to our room mate or to ourselves or to the furniture...

Thanksgiving---yum! I love acorn squash and butternut and pumpkin and sweet potatoes (baked with butter and cinnamon and a little Splenda---none of those nasty marshmallows!) Oh and cranberries!

Swabby, I know someone guessed awhile back your poem was about trees but I think it's leaning more towards mountains now. Great imagery!

SE
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2005 03:49
Guess I've been looking at the pictures of the LOTR feast too long and drifted off into some strange reverie because I see the lamplit tables, piled high with food, and Old Tom singing his Hey dol!! songs. There's swabbyand Rose putting their heads together on a poem to recite later. Neenime,BB and awelyn are discussing the virtues of the wines, Morin , scots and balrog are comparing the heights and delights of the deserts. HT, SE, Miththoniell and MT are aruging over WHO is going to sit beside Aragorn. Most of the other FoF family are dancing, singing or playing flute, drum or string. Oh, what a merry group. I don't think I want to wake up!!

MT
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2005 04:11
I like MT's vision of A FoF feast/gathering. It's very detailed, but where is it? We live all over the world, so we've got A little problem, it seems. How about astral projection? We'll just leave our bodies at home one night and meet up at the agreed location! Heck, I do it all the time. Welp, time for my medicine! swabby

PS I want to do that thing with the deserts, the comparing heights or whatever. Sugar makes me frisky!
awelyn418
Send Message
on: October 10, 2005 04:44
MTMS, I like that, discussing the virtues of the wines. I like some wines but not the dry ones. I really enjoy that vision but I think Scots would be with others sword fighting and she to would want to sit by Aragorn. She would probably challenge some one to a duel to sit by Aragorn. We would be a merry group.
Oh by the way I took a stab at Swabby's poem and I was wrong. I sent it via a PM. I'm not going to tell you and spoil it for you.
It is going to be a cool night here. I had lentil soup for supper and it was so good.
Have a good night ya'll.
Awelyn 418
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2005 06:02
Suilad to all and Happy Thanksgiving to those celebrating in Canada! Thanks for sharing the food and wine, Neenime. I love how you conveyed this:

One thing I a very thankful for , is that Professor Tolkien shared his genius and his heart with so many of us. The Real World can engulf us with its demands - like horde of Orcs some days! Yet there is respite from it in the words, feelings and imagery of one unassuming little man, who looked like a Hobbit, thought like an Elf and gave us all a great and gracious gift.

Tom, thanks for sharing the lovely pictures! And I do love your astral projection idea, Swabby! We would so be such a merry group for sure.

Sharing is such a great virtue, but would be difficult when it comes to sitting by Aragorn:heart:. Guess I'd have to just sit on his lap:evil:, but then MT has so many swords and alas I have none yet...would perhaps end up on the floor.:cry: But then seeing even part of him would be better than nothing, lol! Maybe directly across the table :drool: Well, dreaming too much here, also!

Garo arad vaer!
Susie
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 02:49
Love how this turned into a virtual feast! Thanks to all for your good wishes and your delightful company.

As for fighting over Aragorn - I would be content just gazing at him during dinner, knowing that we have an assignation at a secret spot after all the feasting is done......... Sorry, gals.

Do any of you have this happen? When reading my favourite myth and magic fantasy, and especially anything Tolkien, I actually feel different. It's as if my body shifts into a whole other gear - more relaxed, floaty, serene. And my mind feels open, expanded, not as confined as when I am perusing my endless "to do" lists at home and work.

Gotta be something to do with endorphins or a "theta" wave state. Must dig into the Rivendell library (or what's left of Osgiliath). I'll get back to you on this one.

[Edited on 11/10/2005 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
awelyn418
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 03:11
Hello FOF friends.
This is such a great place to come and relax and talk to your friends. It does feel relaxing to me when I am reading Tolkien but I think it is because I really get so involved with the story. I feel I am there walking with Frodo and Sam or fighting Orcs with Aragorn and Legolas and Gimli. When I read a great story that always happens I become one with the book. I know it sounds like a meditation thing I am one with the book. You know what I mean don't you?
Well, I'm off to another day of toil actually I love my job so it's not that bad.
Awelyn 418
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 03:53
Oh Neenime, you've got it bad. I feel it's my duty to tell you and the other girls that I, the swabster, look A wee bit like Aragorn. Actually, I look A wee bit like Gimli also. Imagine A cross between the handsome Aragorn and the short, dependable Gimli, and there you have it----swabby! Now that I'm aware of this dire need across the land for some Aragorn-snuggles, my dis-embodied astral projected slightly Aragorn-looking spirit is going on snuggles duty tonight! I'm gonna put on my Ranger cologne, A little goose-grease in me hair and tear my shirt. There'll be smiles-A-plenty tomorrow! A sailor's duty never ends.

We now interupt this silliness with some more verses of my very serious poem.

Standing in the glowing sun, drinking water deep
I rose above all others, for miles I could be seen
With arms spread wide and fingers long, I stood so very tall
children played beneath my shade untill their mothers called
Little people dug their homes within my lofty view
and planted flowers in the ground and other things that grew
they came to me on summer days to cool their sweaty brow
and swung all day from the swing that hung from my great bough
Oh how they loved to dress me up with ribbons, lights and bows
They came to call me "party Tree", so now my name you know.

I didn't know where it was going to end, but I guess that's it.

BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 05:27
Oh that was lovely, swabby! I've always felt trees have a certain sentience about them but we have lost the ability to sense it.

My hubby cooked dinner last night and tried out something we want to do for Samhain. It's a pumpkin/wild rice soup and it was absolutely incredible. When I get home I'll post it here. So very delicious and appropriate for the time when the veils between the worlds thin.

I too find myself in a different frame of reference when reading my fantasy books. I have finished all of Terry Brooks' Shannara series and am starting on Robin Hobb's (all nine of them). That in addition to plowing through HoME (what I have). I'm supposed to start back to school on the 1st of November but I've enjoyed my freedom from homework so much it's difficult to get enthused about the return. I'd much rather just read other things than boring nursing tomes. LOL...
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 07:54
That was a marvelous ending to your poem, Swabby...I loved it! How about astral projecting us all under the party tree? Pick a nice sunny warm fall day and we're there! I can almost smell the cologne, lol!

I totally relate to what you are saying, Neenime about getting into the Tolkien books, etc. Like Arwelyn said, it's like we become one with the book. It has become not only an enjoyable pleasure but a bit of therapy for me as well. I find that when I'm a bit out of sorts, all I have to do is put in one of the movies (usually start out with FOTR) or read LOTR. It seems to help put thoughts into proper perspective and remind me of what is truly important...a peaceful, calm and wonderful feeling inside.

Belle, I'm trying to as you say, plow through the HoME also - currently on The Lost Road. It is very interesting, although not all easy reading that one can get lost in like LOTR. Do you think we'll be able to retain any of this, lol?
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 03:45
swabby you li'l devil! best be careful that you get disembodied by wandering too far from your 'container", or by some jealous husband!

Miththoliel becoming one wtih the book is a good way to say it. I think it's a mark of good art that it touches people so fully. And anyway, it's better for us than booze or drugs or gambling. I agree - the Shannara series does it for me, too. Robert Jordan used to but now I'm ticked at him for dragging things out so much. BTW -his 11th book is to be released this month. I'm addicted enough that I'll probably read it, but expecting disapointment with too much dragging of butt, plot-wise. That man can string out a tale longer than Bilbo and Gandalf combined.

Going to try Book of Lost Tales again. Got a big bogged down when tried to read it a few months ago. Maybe a fresh start will work.

sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 03:49
Hey, where can I sign up for leaving my body????

Swabby, damn good poem! I think you need to repost it all together now.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

SE
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 04:55
Leaving one's body does present some problems. It is my understanding that this is where some of the Indian tribes got the belief that they shouldn't attack anyone at night. If the spirit was out of your enemy's body (snuggling, no doubt) and you killed them, that spirit would have no place to go. It would just haunt you forever.
Some say that Abraham Lincoln's dream that later came true was A case of astral projection. For those of you who don't know about that dream, I'll tell you about it. He dreamt about waking up one night to A lot of noise in the East wing of the Whitehouse. He went to investigate and saw A crowd of people gathered around in A kind of circle, and some were sobbing. He asked what had happened and someone said "Haven't you heard? The President's been asassinated." He then saw himself lying in state. It later all came true. I'm not saying I believe in it, but it is interesting.
I hope you all liked my poem. I went ahead and "buffed it up" A bit and submitted it(complete)to fan fiction. You can see it in it's entirety over there if you're interested.
If any of you ladies happen to have nice dreams about A certain Ranger, I won't have had A thing to do with it. Honest.
swabby
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 05:00
Hey, where can I sign up for leaving my body????

SE

Better share that info with me!! Sounds like an interesting proposition!!

I agree with what several of you have said about "getting into" Tolkien's world. I feel as if I am walking the halls of Moria or crossing the plains of Gorgoroth when I read Tolkien's words. I also find myself "becoming" like or wanting to become like some of my favorite characters.

I was involved in a class that is designed to help you find out what your spiritual gifts and talents are. In one section, we were to list 5 people/characters, living or deceased that we admired and list what we admire about them. Of course I listed Aragorn as one of my most admired folk. By the end of the session we learned that in some way, we had some of those same characteristics in the ones we admired. No wonder I love Aragorn so much...he's a part of me!! :heart: My carrying around a clanging/clashing Andruil makes perfect sense now.

Love your party tree poem, swabby. What a beautiful tribute to a beloved landmark of Middle earth. I believe you have a bit of elvish blood in your veins with all the verses that flow from your pen. Are you Elrond's love child???

MT
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 01:49
. No one is that cool here in the wastes of Forodwaith (if Nebraska can be Gorgorath, Ohio can be Forodwaith).

ROFLMSAO!!! In contrast to the beauties of ME, there has to be rough edges also. So it is with us.

I've heard several ghost stories surrounding Lincoln and the White House. Hmmmmm That would bear looking into this time of year. Whoooooooo!!

I loved your poem too, Swabby. Poetry is not my forte unfortunately. Ah, me.

And as for astral projections, count me in! I'm all for leaving my 40+ body and going somewhere else.

Slipping into Middle Earth for me is like coming home. My heart swells and a feeling of contentment comes over me that I usually just get kanoodling with the spousal unit. (or Aragorn if push came to shove) *shhhhhhh!! Don't ever tell the spousal unit that!!*

Ah, Me, like everyone else here, RL calls. Those little orklings (just WHAT do you call young orcs?) *do* insist on having their minds expanded. At least my beloved laptop is back from the shop and it can now take its rightful place on my desk where I can check up on CoE and all of you from time to time. Take good care all.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 02:23
Scots56 just taught me two new words, "kanoodling" and "Orckling". I'll have to put those in my book along side "frabitz" and "jubblies". They really are great words.

There wouldn't be one of us spending time at this site, communicating with other LOTR fans, if we didn't share the ability to be carried away by A book or movie. Some people can't do it. If they could, they would, but they can't. How sad for them. Could it be that our imaginations are more highly developed? swabby
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 02:35
Imagination - have any of you read Robert Anton Wilson's book

Prometheus-something-or-other. He talks about the evolution of the human brain and body, from simpler concepts and ways of living to the more complex. It's quite a ascinating theory and I can't do it justice here, One of his theories is that we are developing our imagination functions more - more emphasis on play and concepts and ideas. We rely less on the limitations of our corporeal selves. We are in an age of information as power, rather than bulk or strength as power.

Anyway, ol' Robert says we should develop our "play centres" more, do meditation and become more ambidextrous, as a way of rounding out our brain and body functions.

OK - I'm, ready. Less drudgery, more time reading LOTR and discussing concepts with you folks. Mandatory play time partway through each work day. Aragorn on my right hand, my hubby on my left. If one is not available, then a wee dram of single malt Scotch will balance out my interaction with the world.

Anyone care to join me?
awelyn418
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 03:03
I can remember working as an assistant play director at an elementary school. There were two adult characters in the play and during rehearsal there was an emotional scene and the woman actor cried. One of the children asked her if she was really crying and she said yes,aren't you? She was a great actor and she really got into the play. I always thought how lucky she was to be able to become the character 100%. But you know what Swabby is right all of us here are lucky because we do that too. We read Tolkien and we become 100% of that place or character. I get involved in what I am reading and can't stand being interrupted when I am reading, I have been known to be a little testy if interrupted. I have read nothing but Tolkien lately and of course all of your poetry.
I like to read the songs in the Celeborn's Karoke Bar. They make me laugh. They are hilarious. I think I will sing some at my Halloween party.
I am off to take a shower and head for work.
Awelyn 418
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 07:19
Reading the posts here always seems to make me smile and laugh. You all have such a great sense of humor and imagination!

I must confess, Neenime, that The Book of Lost Tales was not easy to get into. Certainly not like LOTR or even the Silmarillion. Forced myself reading through it a bit quickly but did find some cool parts and would then mark the page and come back to it later and make notes. Unfortunately my copies are at home now and it is difficult to remember whether I'm thinking of BOLT I or II. Anyways, love the tales of the Sun and Moon and their creation, also a poem about the Man in the Moon. Good luck on your reading, would be interested to know any other thoughts you might have on them.

Have not read Robert Anton Wilson's book but sounds very interesting. There is far too much seriousness (word?) and negativity in this world...play centre would do us all some good. One can only imagine the impact it might have on events...possibly could eliminate some of the violence and hatred if all could "lighten up" and just play/imagine.

Very interesting about the Lincoln dream, thanks for sharing, Swabby. I've had some interesting Aragorn dreams, that wasn't you in disguise, was it? LOL, j/k!

Arwelyn, know what you mean about being interrupted while reading. Hubby can be totally engrossed in TV or reading and not hear a thing but if I start reading, then it is time to talk, ahh men, gotta love them But the astral projection theory does come to mind as well.

HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 10:45
Hi Everyone

Getting lost in a book is something I understand only too well. I can't read a book if I am on a short bus journey for fear of going past my stop! I think sometimes the world could end when I have my nose in a book and I wouldn't know it. When I was a kid at home my to older brothers used to be fighting and trying to wrestlw each other to the ground. I would be on the floor and if they got too near I jsut moved myself and my book out of harm's way without even pausing or looking up!

I wish I could have a dream about our favourite ranger but so far no luck.

BTW I went to see History of Violence and thought it was Brill!

Regards

HT
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 03:06

I wish I could have a dream about our favourite ranger but so far no luck.

BTW I went to see History of Violence and thought it was Brill!

Regards

HT

I haven't had any Rangerish dreams lately either. How do you think we could conjure one up? Please tell Miththoliel!!

Great comment on A History of Violence, HT. I wholeheartedly agree. Isn't he one fantastic man?????:love::heart:

Play is so very important to children. Why do we think that we don't need to "play" as adults? The older I get, the more I find that I need an outlet to refresh and rejuvenate myself. Wonderful!! Now I have a good excuse to indulge myself in my passions and obsessions. Tolkien...swords....Aragorn..jousting....chain mail and leather...

I love your comparison of yourself to Aragorn and Gimli, swabby. I guess I am a combination of Arwen and Frodo. I look more like Arwen, but am short like Frodo and have curly hair (all on my head, not on my feet.) Creates an interesting mental picture, doesn't it??

I need to stare at and swoon over my beautiful Aragorn drawings so that perhaps I can dream of him in a kilt, or chain mail and leather.:heart:

MT

swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 04:48
A cross between Arwen and Frodo sounds pretty good to me, as long as your talking about general physical features, MT.

I hope you all know that I'll say almost anything to get A laugh, so don't take my talk of out-of-body visitations too seriously. Psychic phenomena and other-worldly experiences must present themselves to everyone but me. I can only remember one time in my life that I had A premonition. I'm not superstitious--- black cats don't bother me. I fear the living much more than the dead. When something strange happens, I look for A logical explanation.

With all this talk of how we look, perhaps some of us should just post our pictures. So far, Ol' Tom is the only one of us whose picture I've seen. I'm much better at remembering A face than I am at remembering A name. I will see if I can't find A suitable picture of myself to post. Is anyone else up to it? swabby
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 07:48
Hi everyone.

Neemine:About the Book of Lost Tales: I have both and I had a hard time reading them. I belong to an RP group and I'm creating a character. I started using the BOLT I and II as reference books and they were quite helpful as well as The Sil and Unfinished Tales. This was when I realized they were reference books. The first time I read the Sil, I tried reading it as a novel. It was hard. Then I read it like a reference book and it was easy. Sometimes re-reading books different ways can help a person.

About getting lost in a book is easy for me. I have a roommate and when I get into a book I head for the hills (my bedroom). Just so that I can read the Book and not get disturbed. I also hate being disturbed when reading. I get lost easily in the place the book talks about. When it comes to Tolkien, it's a different story. When I read the novel, (there was orginally only one book) I can visually see what Middle Earth looks like because of the movies. I know exactly where they are in areas of the book. Even with different characters used I can still visualize where they are in ME.

swabby: loved you poem. You are so talented. Have you thought of publishing a book on your poems?

Well, I should toddle off to bed and get my beauty sleep, yeah right!!!!!! talk to you all soon.

[Edited on 20/10/2005 by balrog]
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 08:18
Guess I've been looking at the pictures of the LOTR feast too long and drifted off into some strange reverie because I see the lamplit tables, piled high with food, and Old Tom singing his Hey dol!! songs...
What a lovely image, MT. How I wish it could come true!

Those little orklings (just WHAT do you call young orcs?)
Why "orkids" of course!

We read Tolkien and we become 100% of that place or character.
We do? Who ever heard of such a thing?!

The first time I read the Sil, I tried reading it as a novel. It was hard. Then I read it like a reference book and it was easy.
The Sil can certainly be used as a reference book, but I view it more as a series of interconnected short stories. They move along chronologically, and you can see how events such as Fëanor's revolt against the Valar and the terrible oath he and his seven sons swore have a MAJOR effect on the lives on many others and on the fate of Middle-earth and Arda itself.

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2005 02:29
balrog and Old_Tom I see what you mean about a reference book. I found Sil easier to get through when I read each story with a break in between. It certainly gave a rich setting to the LOTR stories. Like discovering a whole new world. The meaning of oaths and the motivations of some characters became so much more clear!

swabby your idea of photos in intriguing. My initial reaction was hesitant , because there has been something safe and comfortable about the anonymity of our CoE identities. I must say, though, that my level of comfort and trust with this group has been growing steadily. So, let's have those of us who feel comfortable with the idea, share our faces.

Whether or not people want to share Real World identities etc is another matter. Maybe PM's and profiles are a better place for that? What do others think?

Umm - I am hoping there are instructions somewhere for posting photos. Can someone point me to the right place?
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: October 13, 2005 02:41
Actually, there's a member's gallery under galleries. I've got at least one picture there. It's alphabetical under user names. Pics in the forum really make it huge so we try to encourage folks to post them in the gallery.

:cheers: :hug:
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email