Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part IV
on: October 16, 2005 04:33
Wasn't Roses' poem terrific? It seems that the most famous image that never was shall never die, leastways not here at FoF! I suppose I will have to create such an image, but I'm not too good at making things up, so I'll need some pictures to work from. Could I get away with putting Viggo's head on A bekilted "Braveheart" Mel's body?

Ah, Awelyn, he was A jerk. Then it is better this way. Let her be done with him.

And Sindy, I am so honoured! What can I say? You flatter me.

Isn't it amazing how our children think they've learned more in their short time on Earth than we have in our long time? My 14 yo son acts like I have no idea what it's like to be 14, but I remember that age like it was yesterday. Hell, I'm still 14 in some ways-----I just don't look it. I know what you're going through, Brandywine. swabby
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: October 17, 2005 06:04
Just a flyby post - I've been quite busy for the last couple of days, and have some computer issues again; I had to take over the laptop from my daughter to get here. I also uploaded a couple of my photos in the Gallery, don't know if they're up yet though. It was really nice to see the photos of those who have them up already!

Sorry about your uncle, Miththoliel. Just last year, my husband's youngest uncle died quite suddenly, and he was only 71.

Awelyn, your daughter's ex-fiance probably doesn't know what he lost when he broke up. She'll find someone better.

All your poems were just great again!
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2005 08:19
Hi everyone

Thanks for the nice comments about the poem esp Swabby who always inspires me.
Rosiearialelven I like your kilted hottie in the woods!
Awelyn hope your daughter gets over the jerk soon and finds someone better but its not the end of the world to be single and free.

Why is it we never feel any older? My 84 year old mother feels the same now as she did when she was 21 and so do I but I wish I had known then what I know now - but would we listen to our older wiser selves? I doubt it!

Love and hugs

HT:heart:
LadyAdaneth
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 17, 2005 10:54

but would we listen to our older wiser selves? I doubt it!

I doubt it too!

Glad to see you're all busy and being creative all over the place. Great fun to catch up on

I noticed you'd been sharing photos etc. For your amusement I can confirm that my avvie is in fact me (although admittedly I don't go round like that all the time and I've had a bit of a haircut since then). Also for your entertainment I attach a link to my CoE website where I have info about a couple of my enthusiasms. I need to add a bit more I think - Goldie's is quite an inspiration!

http://www.councilofelrond.com/members/LadyAdaneth/
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2005 02:11
Miththoliel,

I offer my condolences, uncomforting though they may be. Im naer an le. Nîr tôl erin baded muindor adar lîn agîl síla erin lû e-govaded lín ad.(I am sad for you. A tear comes on your uncle’s leaving and may a star shines upon the hour of your meeting again.)

Swabby, my job is safe even with your poem above my desk. NO ONE wants it.

NenyaGold, is there a Goldie story? I know you said she was an RPG character but I'm thinking she is deserving of one of the "great tales" of her own. Where did the sword she wears come from? Where did the sword necklace come from and why is the green gem significant? If she is half-elven, who is her mother/father? If her story begins near the Shire and ends in Gondor, what is it and how does it end? This warrior-map-maker-elf lady has me weaving wisps of adventure in my mind.

SE

SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: October 17, 2005 02:21
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words about my daughter's situation. Ht, I know it's not the end of the world but tell that to my daughter. My worst fear is he will talk her into going back with him if things don't work like he wants them to. I know I have to let her grow and make her own decisions but it is so hard when you know it is so wrong.
I am getting so impatient to see our pictures in the gallery.
It has been the picture perfect fall day here today in southeast Mo. The trees are putting on their fall colors of scarlet, and burgundy and so many shades of yellow and hues of orange. The temperature was in the high 70's. It made me content to just sit and gaze at the scenery.
Have a good night Ya'll.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2005 02:36
You are such a creative, humorous bunch!! You make my day brighter. I am so lucky to have you as my friends. I love you all.:heart:
I will try to find my Aragorn costume that is hidden somewhere in my closet. Hope hubby didn't hide it as he hinted at. You will see a pic, swabby, I promise. I know, you just want to see me with my sword.

Several years ago my son's fiance broke his heart by cheating on him. He called the engagement off. I'm so glad that they didn't marry, knowing that she wasn't as committed to him as he was to her. He's dated since then, all nice girls, but that's all . He's a great guy. We tease him a bit, because he has it more together than anyone in this dysfunctional family. I tell him that if I didn't know better, I'd think he was adopted...but I was there at his birth and know better. (He does look a bit like me also. Did I say how handsome he is?)

Heading to the closet to dig through the mayhem to find my Aragorn outfit.

MT

[Edited on 10/18/2005 by BelleBayard]
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2005 05:49
I read today that 87% of the CoE members are female. I don't know why, but it took me A long time to become aware of this. When I was watching the movies in the theaters, I didn't notice any such imbalance. I had thought, since there was very little romance and A lot of fighting, that it might appeal more to the guys, but look how wrong I was. Not since I was in highschool choir have I been in such A minority, but you know what? I'm not going to complain at all. Not one teency weency bit. You ladies are wonderful and I really like hangin' out with you. You're all A bunch of sweathearts. Now MT just said she loves us------it just doesn't get any better than this.

And yes, MT, I'd love to see you in your Aragorn outfit WITH your sword. I hope you don't have too much trouble finding those Aragorn britches.

That reminds me, I used the word "britches" in conversation once,(about 1972, and when in the Navy) and this guy said "You're from Arkansas, aren't you?" Sheepishly I said "Yes". (I didn't know we were that easy to spot.) Actually, I'm not A typical Arkansan at all, but I still like to use some of the indigeonous language. swabby

[Edited on 18/10/2005 by swabby]
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: October 17, 2005 07:12
My thoughts are with those who are going through difficult times... I do not look forward to the time when this generation of children becomes the parent to our parents... You would think parenting your own children would be enough...

Rose, Swabby, HT - your poems made me laugh! Ah, the visual I get at the end of Down In The Forest. Hannon le mellon nín.

songbird ~ it's great you stopped by! I too hope CoE is still here when you are 40!

swabby ~ I think you will find that 99% of the 87% females are probably under 20... You can see a poll on it at this link.

sindarinelvish said
NenyaGold, is there a Goldie story? I know you said she was an RPG character but I'm thinking she is deserving of one of the "great tales" of her own. Where did the sword she wears come from? Where did the sword necklace come from and why is the green gem significant? If she is half-elven, who is her mother/father? If her story begins near the Shire and ends in Gondor, what is it and how does it end? This warrior-map-maker-elf lady has me weaving wisps of adventure in my mind.

SE, you might be sorry you asked about Goldie...

Goldie has major history. You can read her profile in the RPG Database which includes a picture of her wonderfully drawn by one of our own Invited Artists, Gwyllion, whose Gallery of Simply Stunning Elves is here.

I created Goldie because I needed a main character to head up my very first RP, a month after I joined CoE in February of 2003. I had been writing for years (short stories, poetry, novels, movie and TV scripts all unpublished) and only once had an opportunity to write with another person. I enjoyed it a lot so when the opportunity came here on CoE, I jumped in, Green Feet and all!!!

Goldie has been in quite a few threads, including *Returning Home ~ The Journey* which eight of us from the FoF started way back in June of 2004 and it ran until just a few weeks ago. If you are interested, it is here. You can read about more of Goldie's quests in her profile.

Goldie is currently a major character in the Dark Wings Tales *Search for the Heart of Flame*, a new RPG that will be opening on its own website soon.

Although Goldie was my first RP character and dear to my heart, Maethor is just as dear. You can read about him (and drewl over the pic of Michael Praed from the 1985 Robin of Sherwood Series) in his profile here. He is also in the Dark Wings and Search for the Heart of Flame.

I warned you... But if you got this far, thank you for reading! I live for Live RP! (Hmmm... that might make a good bumper sticker! LOL)

*warm hugs to all*
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 02:20
Suilad, everyone.

Anyone been out to see the full moon this past night? I belong to a pagan group that meets regularly at the full moon. Well, it's more inspired by First Nations traditions. We have a sharing circle, a cleansing ritual and take time to share our lives and spiritual concerns. It's a wonderful thing. Like the church of the outdoors (except it's no fun in mosquito season or when it's -30'!!!!)

A prayer and thoughts of compassion to all of you facing difficult times and those of your loved ones who are having their trials, too.

Swabby, that poem about the teacher is bordering on the risque. You salty fellow, you!

Still, you have a well developed feminine side ( now don;t freak on me, I'm NOT saying you're effeminate. I mean that human beings have both masculine qualities (accomplishment,activity, challenge, territoriality, force, strength, power-seeking) and feminine qualitites (enjoyment of the moment, relating, yielding, nurturing, cooperating). The well-rounded human being has the capacity to use all these aspects of our human nature, in balance, at the appropriate times. It gets better with age for most people.

songbird - we're all young at heart here so younger folks are welcome. Hope you find something to your liking.

Anyway, you're a lovely bunch of folks and I thoroughly enjoy readng your posts. Even when I am too busy (as I have been recently) to join in.

Still working on the photo thing. No time. Also, frustrated with the Gallery. IS it alphabetical ? It doesn't seem so at times. And the first words listed don't always give he name so it takes a bit of sloggin to find familiar faces! Ah well, I'll just keep trying.

Namarie
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 04:03
Neenime, I take your comments about me having A well developed feminine side completely as A compliment. I've known for A long time that I am somewhat of A dichotomy and that I don't "fit" the conventional definition of American "male-ness", but I'm perfectly content with who I am. I often wonder what is wrong with other men who can't break out of that tough, unyielding, he-man personna, and I can't help but think that it might be because without it, they are just vulnerable little boys who want their mama.
I could say much more on this subject, but I would probably wander into areas not appropriate for CoE.
I will say that in the later days of my Navy carreer, I had A few female sailors working under me, and A couple of times one of them told me that they appreciated the way that I treated them with A kind of "sexual blindness". I think other male supervisors tended to say things and do things that always reminded them of their sex and never let them feel like they were part of our team. I did treat them different from the guys in some ways, however. We guys used A lot of bad language and told dirty jokes, etc, and I refrained from doing that when I was around the ladies. I was also careful not to assign them A job that was beyond their physical abilities, but I did the same for the male sailors, too.
I don't want to make it sound like my relationships with women is perfect and that I've resolved all my issues with them----I haven't. I guess I see it as A work in progress and is also something that I enjoy about being here and conversing with you all.
Here I go again, talking about myself too much. Thanks to you wonderful ladies for your patience. swabby
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 04:13
Thanks for all your kind words and wishes. Love the elvish words, SE. What a wonderful and special group of friends - kind, thoughtful, caring, creative and all with a sense of humor. Love reading all your posts and relate so much...it is truly a group (forum) where we can all be ourselves and feel accepted and loved in return. I treasure that beyond words. This forum truly does make one laugh and smile as well! Mae govannen, mellon nin!

Will be fun to see everyone's pics, wonder if they notify us at all when they are posted. Like Neenime said, the gallery can be a bit frustrating. I think I posted my 2 pics in different ways so maybe that will actually help, lol!

Didn't realize there was a full moon. I have some pics taken last year of one that was by some trees hubby & I jokingly referred to as "Ents". No expert here but they do seem cool. Will see if they fit into any gallery catergories. Tom, would love to do the links like you do for photos.

Awelyn, my prayers are with you & especially your daughter. It is difficult to see children go through painful times. My own parents have been great through some of my times by just being there for me...knowing they supported and loved me regardless of my decisions or actions (right or wrong).

Swabby, I rather like HT's title, "Don't mess around with Teach". I love reading and enjoy all the poems here. So great to feel free to express our creative spirits and to not feel alone in doing so!

Take care all and have a beautiful and blessed day! :heart::love:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 06:48
I talked with Nenya Gold about our gallery photos today. She said because COE is strictly volunteer and they only have 2 people that check the gallery photos that it could be 2 weeks. So be patient little grasshopper is what she told me. I thought all of you might be interested in a time span for our picture. Nenya helped me size my photo so she already knows what I look like in my photo.
We have had a full moon for 3 nights and it is gorgeous.
We are having dry weather here in Southeast Mo. has not rained for weeks. On the other hand it has rained so much in Massachusetts that a dam may burst today. Our world is a strange and always changing place. I am one of those people who may rearrange her furniture once every 10 years. Change I know is good sometimes but unsettling to me also.
Have a good day. Swabby I like your stories I don't think you talk about yourself to much or any one else here at FOF.
Awelyn 418
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 08:27
Hi everyone hope this litty ditty will cheer you up

Remember our poor Orc (a veggie)
Dragged off by Teach who called him Reggie
Well he escaped from her detention
One day when mistresses attention
Was focused cleaning her sword hilt
And dreaming of a man in kilt

Reggie met a high-voiced troll
A rather sad and solemn soul
Who said “I don’t know why you’re glum
You think you have got problems chum?”

You see I thought it would be cool
To go and scare some kids at school
But that desire was quite frustrated
In fact I ended up castrated

The moral of this tale is plain
Messing with Miss just causes pain
This lesson had best be remembered
Or else you will end up dismembered!

Re photos I have yet to find a recent one of me that I am happy with.

Swabby It is great that you get on well here and enjoy our company.

Everyone take care and if you need more cheering up if you haven't read them nip over to Henneth Anuin net and read the "Owner's manual series" by Theresa Green they are realy funny. I don't have any coneection with the author I just think they are great stories.

Love and Kisses:heart:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 11:37
Not only was that cave troll vanquished in A most embarrasing way by A GIRL, but now HT continues his sad story for our enquiring minds to feed upon. Will his pain never end? Ha! What A great job, HT! Keep it up.

Well, no one can say we don't get enough poetry around here. Halloween draws near (here in the US) and so here is A Halloween poem I wrote A few years ago. I call it "Noggin Head".

Somewhere down in the knarley woods,
way past wolf bone trail,
on over the hill where grampa stood
when his poor old heart went frail.

When you see green lights up in the trees,
don't you go no further.
Those lights is how ol' Noggin Head sees
to do his bloody murders.

Ol' Noggin Head lives underneath A stump,
got spiders and bugs in his ears.
Sleeps on A pile of hickory knots,
ain't brushed his teeth in years.

Don't go pokin' round Noggin's stump,
he's bound to hear your scratchin'.
You'll never know you woke him up
'till it's too late for laughin'.

Ol' Noggin Head has A big black pot.
He keeps it boilin' good.
If half A brain you think you got,
stay out of the Knarley woods!

swabby
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 02:56
WoW!! HT has me laughing and swabby has me watching my back. Love the poems!!:heart:

The full moon has been beautiful. It sort of calms my heart when it is troubled. And it's been troubled lately. For me, the moon was like an unexpected gift from God, wholly for my pleasure. He sure does love me to fetch me the moon!!

I pray that those of you who are going through difficult times find something that gives you hope and peace.

My eldest son and his girlfriend are coming over for dinner one night this weekend. Don't worry, I'm not cooking, we're going out to eat. I feel so blessed to have my son want to spend time with his mom. Perhaps I can talk him into taking the band and new cd on tour and I can manage/drive the bus. (It's either that or work at a ren fest. This teaching is wearing this old gal slap out!)

MT
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 04:24
"Teaching is wearing the ol' gal slap out!" AMEN to that MinasTirithMS! I'd raise a mug at the Green Dragon to that (make that lo-carb Mich Ultra, please):cheers: As usual I'm not sure who is worse---kids or adults. I think my next career is country mail delivery...just open roads, me, the mail, and ---NO ONE ELSE or maybe radio operator in Greenland...just me, the snow, and NO ONE ELSE.

NenyaGold, I have read some of the Darkwing stories! They are great! I think I last left the group on the edge of a cliff after a particularly evil assassin lady fell over the side. Thanks for the Goldie info....a relationship with Glori, HHMMMM...interesting. :love:

Swabby, you just go right ahead being comfortable with the ladies. We wouldn't want you any other way.

I guess I need to come up with a picture. Can't use the school photo; that would scare you all away. Maybe I'll get the DH to snap me with Narsil in my Elven shirt....may even put the ears on.

"I see the moon and the moon sees me
Up through the leaves of the old oak trees
Please let the light that shines on me
Shine on the ones I love."

SE

SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 05:03
The poems are great, HT and swabby! And people wonder why I carry a sword...

Just out of curiosity, are there any FoFr's who chose not to have children? A lot of us are the generation of the pill, the generation of choice (the Pepsi Generation - LOL) and I wonder if it affected any of you in the choices you made regarding having or not having children.

I hope it's not too serious of a question... I find the subject interesting.

SE ~ I'm glad you're enjoying DW! I will pass the kind words on to our under FoF co-writers, Atalante_star and Aylaleia. As you know, Rose is one of us in this thread and as you've found out, she writes awesome Dwarves!

It's funny, but Goldie's relationship with Glorfy wasn't intentional... It just happened! So much of what goes on with our characters just happens. They have minds of their own and the real trouble happens when you don't listen to them... Yes, I'm addicted... :blush:

[Edited on 10/20/2005 by NenyaGold]
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: October 19, 2005 05:58
Neenime, the gallery really is rather chaotic in a way; it is alphabetical, but as you said, the submitter's name isn't always visible. The best way to find something there is to search by the screen name of whose pictures you're looking for.

And, the full moon was really lovely.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2005 06:56
Many people have very strong feelings about birth control and having children. There are the religious factors and maybe even A little politics mixed in. I think it is an intensely personal subject, and one that some people wouldn't want to discuss, especially out in the open like this.
It seems to me that, since the pill has been available, most women who want children will have them, and those who don'y won't. (In most cases)
I've always thought it was strange that almost anyone can become A parent(probably the most important job in the world) without any required training or meeting any kind of minimum requirements. You at least have to take some tests to get A driver's license.
Most of us learn parenting from our parents, and I have seen, firsthand, how bad parenting can be perpetuated in this way.
I have an older sister who loves cats so much that she gives them priority over everything and everybody. If she had to choose between feeding herself or feeding her cats, the cats would get their fancy feast. She had one son who grew up in A house where he played second fiddle to A bunch of cats. I won't get into how messed up he is.
Whether my sister learned or inherited her bad mothering practices, I cannot say, but it was probably some of both. My own mother made it quite clear to all of us children that we were little monsters who had come into the world for the sole purpose of torturing her. She had apparently gotten her motherly attitudes from her mother who was cold as A fish. I even heard one of my mother's brothers make the comment one time that grandma was A "mean old woman".
I guess my point here is that some people don't need to have children.
I'm sure my mother did change her views about me after I joined the Navy and left. I was shocked the first time I came home after A long absence and she ran up and hugged me and showed obvious glee that I was back. She had never shown me any affection before. My dad was the loving one and my mother was the hard, angry, combative one.
My mother died of A heart attack when I was in Vietnam in 1973. I forgave her long ago for being such A terrible mother, but I know that part of her inhabited me when I first became A father, and it has taken me many years to rid myself of the bad parenting tendancies that I was pre-ordained to have.
Whenever or if ever A person has children is less important, I think, than whether or not they take the job of parenting seriously. I'm sure that those of you who are school teachers can tell us all about the differences in children whose parents care about them and get involved versus those who don't. swabby
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: October 19, 2005 07:12
*peeps in nervously*

Hi, I'm Atalante and I apologise, but I'm not over 40.

Can I ask a question anyway? Please?

We have a thread in the Book Forum called Frodo Baggins ... the Jesus Christ of Middle-earth ... and someone just posted something interesting in there ...
When LOTR was published what was the Christians reaction? Because many Christian were called to burn Harry Potter books for consider them evil, especially for its dealing with witchcraft.

While not wishing to draw attention to the average age of this group :love: I thought maybe that asking that question in here might be the best way to get some reminiscences and opinions on the matter - which I can then repeat in the Book Forum (if people don't mind!) :naughty:

Does anyone remember Christians (or any other group of people) getting up in arms about LotR? Because of "magic", "dark arts" or whatever? Or was there a good reaction because of Tolkien's obvious religious undertones? Or was everyone too busy being stunned by the gorgeousness of Aragorn to even care?

Thank you in advance for any help!
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2005 08:47
Just out of curiosity, are there any FoFr's who chose not to have children? A lot of us are the generation of the pill, the generation of choice (the Pepsi Generation - LOL) and I wonder if it affected any of you in the choices you made regarding having or not having children.

I don't know if I could say I chose not to have children I never met anyone I wanted to have children with. Having said that much as I love my nephews and nieces I have no desire to have any of my own even if it weren't too late.

Atalante Don't be afraid to come in and say hi we are a friendly lot here at FOF. I can't remember there being much opposition to LOTR just a few academics being rather sniffy about the fantasy genre. Maybe others here remember more? As for opposition to Harry Potter - I am not a big fan of the books but getting in a faff about them seems a bit extreme to me. Banning the written word is always a dangerous precedent I am with the person who said "I may may not agree with you but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Sorry you are going through a low patch MT hope you feel better soon.

Love

awelyn418
Send Message
on: October 19, 2005 11:36
Well, it was my choice to have children and I swore I would be a better mother than my mother.
I would invariably hear words coming out of my mouth that were vaguely familiar it was my moms words. I would stop and change it if I felt it was bad parenting. That is why I love my job.I am a parent educator with Parents As Teachers we teach parents good parenting skills and we empower them to recognize they are their child's first and most important teacher. Does it work? If the parents want to be good parents and want to learn then it does but if they could care less then forget it.
The religious ? I have never heard that Tolkien's works were banned . HT I agree with you. MT hang in there.
Awelyn 418
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2005 01:20
I come from a large family; I am the youngest of 7. I was very fortunate to have had loving parents...very strict, but also very loving.

I have just one son and thank the powers that be that he's mine. I lost a little girl a little over 15 years due to miscarriage. This time of year always tugs at my heart as this would have been about the time she was born. We were never able to have more after that. And even though that was sad, I feel truly blessed with the man that the spousal unit and I have raised. He's in the Navy and a hard-working young man. I could not be prouder. Losses are a part of life and you learn to live with them. At least I did.

Okay, happier things. The moon has been full the past couple of nights here on the PoG. It was just beautiful! I always laugh at the spousal unit because every month during the full moon he has trouble sleeping. No lie! I tell him that I keep waiting for him to sprout fangs, tail, and become a werewolf. :evil:

As for Tolkien, I heard at our local library that RotK was on the banned booklist sometime. I never did find out why though. Crazy people. I also love Harry Potter. I have all the books and unashamedly stood in line in the middle of the night to get the last installment. (My sister saw the actor that plays Percy in Salem, Mass. during their Halloween festivities. She and my other sisters and spousal units went to the Celtic Music Festival in Novia Scotia. They saw a musician that they said could be Elijah's twin. Darn. I missed it.).
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2005 01:28
So much going on in all our lives. MT, hope all is going well in your situation. Not making light of it, but this keep thinking of that Ranger when you need to get your mind off of things for a bit now and then. :heart:

Swabby, thanks for sharing your story. It shows much character to forgive, you have shown your quality Loved your point about not having any requirements or testing to be a parent. Yet there are some of us who do the best we can and things don't always turn out good. I believe although many qualities and character aspects are learned, others are simply a part of ourselves, llike our dna that just simply is how it is. If only we could all learn to forgive and love and accept one another for who we are, made in God's image. I'm not condoning your mother's actions or abuse or violence of any sort, just trying to say I wish we could all just get along for the short time we are given in this life.

HT, admire your strength to not settle for less than what you would have wanted. All I can say is that I have 2 children and did not start out by choice, although had always wanted to be a mom. But life is rather wierd and have had some problems and difficulties with my children that have been heartbreaking, also their father is an alchoholic (whom I left). So perhaps in a way, those of you who do not have children are spared some heartache.

All that said, will add one thing, thank God for grandchildren! :love:

Agree with you HT about banning any written word. It is a precious freedom that I cherish as well. And so much depends on our individual interpretation of what we read. I've never read the Harry Potter books but have seen the movies. But that doesn't mean I endorse witchcraft or judge anyone who feels otherwise.

Have never heard anything bad regarding LOTR. Neighbors and frienda at home in Ohio are a pastor and his wife who love LOTR and we even all went to see ROTK together.

Thanks all for sharing the comments about the full Moon. Don't have a view of it from where we're staying in Missouri, but is a pleasant thought.

Is anyone else in here trying to learn Sindarin? I have been trying to study and memorize, but the brain and thought process takes much longer at this age! Thought it might help if someone would be interested in a bit of co-study, someone in our age group, lol. Hubby looks at me really strange if I say something in elvish. SE, maybe?

Take care all, and have a great night.
Meleth nin,
Susie
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2005 03:43
Thank you, friends, for your comfort. When things seem to get the best of me, I'll conjure up a vision of Viggo in a kilt and a smile will brighten my face and outlook...at least for a bit. Tomorrow is his birthday and I'm going to celebrate it by doing something good for myself. The V-man would want me to.

I've always wanted to have children. At first I thought I could handle a bunch, but after the first child was born I set my limit at 2. It takes alot of sacrafice, love and forgiveness to raise them. If I could raise 2 without killing either them or myself, success would be achieved, at least in my book.
I also tried not to make the mistakes my parents made. Unfortunately, I made my own. I tried my best and I am so grateful that both sons have become men I am very proud of.
It's interesting how things have changed in our relationships. My eldest and I are alot alike in mood and temperment. He lives nearby and we are very close and have always been. My youngest was a bit difficult, headstrong and a "have to learn things the hard way" type. Can you believe that he's in the Army? The child who didn't want anyone to tell him to do anything is now a man who takes orders? Youngest is now the one who says "I love you,mom "more often. That may be so because he is a parent and knows what it's like.

I know of no adverse reaction from the christian community to Tolkien's books or the LOTR movies. There were some church groups that we doing studies on finding God in LOTR. I haven't read the Harry Potter books. They don't seem to "grab me" like Tolkien's works. Not sure why. (could it be the lack of swords and rangers?)

Here's a big pat on the back for all you parents. I raise my glass to you for all that you've done. :cheers: Grandchildren are one or the chief blessings or surviving parenthood.:heart:

I would love to study elvish, Mith. Don't know if I have the time, but I'll give it a try if you're up for it. Study helps keep old brains young!!!

Love to all!!!

MT
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 01:10
Grandchildren are one or the chief blessings or surviving parenthood.

My dad used to say that if he'd known grandchildren were so much fun, he would have had them first!
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 01:12
I doubt I will have the pleasure of grandchildren. I have two, well hardly kids, 32 and 35, but they seem fated to be on their own, but you never know.

It seems there are no books written on real life .... oh I know there *are* some attempts, for what they are worth .... I mean books that tell you what to do when your child is broken hearted, or how you should feel at losing a parent, etc, etc, or if you have an ache or a pain .... is it something serious or is it just your age. Lol!!

It's good MT, when you are down, that there are friends to pick you up, so many people are in a rush nowadays and lose interest.

I think atalante was asking about reactions when the books were first published, if I am not mistaken. I did send some reviews that were published at that time, which were very interesting reading. I have the links, should anyone be interested in reading the items.

I don't think there would have been much adverse criticism of the books, although in truth, I don't really remember them. I would imagine that the Catholic Church would have had no brook with the books, Tolkien being a convert and the fairly heavy religious tone to them, intended or not.

And times were different then, anyway. No political correctness stomping on everyones nerve ends. :twitch: I think people would have taken the books, more or less at face value.

It's only in today's climate that people start looking for things that aren't there. Who it might upset, what faction of the human race might be offended. Watch out for those Elves demonstrating, lol!!

*steps down of soapbox*

Well the sun is shining.... it's almost lunchtime .... I am off to buy some sequins to make a glittery scarf for Hallowe'en and my vertigo isn't bothering me too much. *Puts her glass eye back in, pops on her wooden leg, adjusts her wig, polishes her false teeth and sets off to the shopping mall*

:wave: Later all. :love:
Rose
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 01:16
Of those of us here who have children, I noticed that none have more than three. Is that correct? I have three sons, ages 36 and 30 by my first marriage and now Tommy, 14 by my second.
Knowing how much trouble it is to raise A child, I wonder how parents who have many are able to deal with it. (You may have heard on the news about the couple that just had their 16th)
A friend of mine has two daughters, and the one that was well-behaved in her teens is now an unmitigated disaster and the one that was troublesome in her teens (tried to commit suicide, etc) now has her head on straight.
It was 91 degrees here yesterday (A record) and A cold front was supposed to have gone through last night, so maybe we'll get to see about two weeks of Autumn before it turns Winter.
I responded to atlante's question by PM and said much of what you all have said. When the LotR's was released back in the fifties, religion and politics were not what they are now. Harry Potter books have been attacked for the same reason that the "teletubbies" and many others were attacked.
Rose is claiming to have some artificial parts which gives me an idea. You know that thing that the troll lost? It'd be A shame for that rather large appendage to go to waste, don't you think? Hmmm, I wonder which would work the best, staples or super glue.
Have A nice day my friends. swabby

[Edited on 20/10/2005 by swabby]
awelyn418
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 03:10
For those of you that have had children do you remember when what ever you said was the final truth. No, your wrong my mom said or my dad said. I was infallible every time. It felt great to be thought as the authority in everything. Well, my grandchildren do that now. Grammy said and if Grammy said it it is fact. They are my favorite people and vice versa they tell me. Oh, I know the time will come when I will be replaced but for now it is very nice. They are a blessing to me and I just wish they lived closer to me.

Rose, I agree about the political correctness it drives me crazy. 2 years ago in my reports I could not say retarded about a child it was mentally impaired but now 2 years later they want us to write retarded on the reports. I will say actress and be corrected no we say actor. Not that I use retarded I usually just say down's syndrome or whatever instead of a general word to cover it all.

Yes, my daughter had so many books on child rearing but when she goes with that instinct that I find in the mothers I work with I call it the natural mothers instinct and it can't be taught. That is when she does her best in my opionion.

Swabby,Oh I don't think I will go there but let's say we should leave sleeping dogs lie or other things.
Awelyn 418
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 08:59
Hi everyone

I felt another poem coming on - not quite as silly this time and no mention of kilts!

The time has come at FOF to talk of many things
Of sailors and of parenthood
And Tolkien and Kings

Sometimes we are quite serious
And sometimes full of verve
At other times we talk of trolls
Who completely lost their….nerve!

Whatever topic is begun
And however it ends
We know that here at FOF
We are amongst true friends

My dictionary gives the meaning of verve as ‘enthusiasm that animates a poet or artist’!

Love to you all

LadyAdaneth
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 12:34
ROFL HeriTavaril, good parody...

As ever you have managed to cover a wide range of interesting subjects, I think I've hardly been away and there are pages of posts. To throw in my own contribution..

- Early Christian reaction to Tolkien - remember in the UK he was associated with CS Lewis who was quite an evangelist. Possibly less reaction as considered "Innocent by association??" Again in the UK, the mainstream Anglican church has quite a history (since Charles II reinstated customs banned by Cromwell's Commonwealth) of treating things like Hallowe'en as quaint country customs devoid of all substance, and allied to the increasingly Rational/Scientific view which kicked off with the Industrial Revolution, things like magic were seen as a subject for fairy-tales and nothing more sinister. The general climate in which LOTR was published was therefore likely to encourage acceptance of the stories, at least in the UK, as exactly that - stories.
I speculate however. I'd be interested in those links, Rose.

Children and parenting. Phew, big subject. Suffice it to say that I have 2, one boy one girl and having given thanks that my little girl was entirely healthy at birth (following a scare during the pregnancy) we decided to quit while we were ahead. Since I was already 32 when I delivered my firstborn, I quickly realised also that large families are for people who start early and therefore have the boundless energy of the teen or twenty-something. yep, biologically speaking, I should have been tending my babes at 2am instead of going to all-night film-shows! But early vs late arguments are a whole new discussion to themselves. Meanwhile I am quite enjoying interacting with the 1 and 3yr old children of the lady who comes in each day to take my little ones to school while I scoot off to work. All the fun of watching them grow, none of the nappies or broken nights

I have some time to go before my little ones reach adolescence and the "stuff" that goes with it. I therefore try very hard to appreciate and memorise how much I enjoy them now. Anyway, my son at least is a keen LOTR fan so I've set him off in the right direction at any rate

Incidentally, I have 2 sisters, one with a child, one childless. For the latter, I really think it was much more a case of never being in the right situation rather than a deliberate choice. Oops nearly launched into the early vs late argument but have spared you this time..

Oh yes, and I have been popping into the Gallery to spot pics of FoF friends. Have found some but not others, but I fear much of the time it is my inability to stick the right spelling into the search box. *sighs* Shouldn't be here so late at night. I'll keep a look out for more of you appearing in there.
Here's a question for you all - do you visualise your FoF companions as pictures of people, or as their avatars, or as their names??
Magoleth
Faerie Godmother of Nienna & Weeper of Nienna
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 12:36
Hi Folks

I have never posted in this thread before but have every right to do so as I am well over the big 40 and the 50 and my next is the BIG 60!

I have four children aged 41,40,31 and 29. I have seven grandchildren now - our newest little boy Ryan David was born a month ago and is a little smasher. I would not part with the granchildren they are wonderful but then - along come the great grandchildren - yep two of them! It's the old story about starting your own dynasty. You don't realise it when you first get married and have children but then they grow up and get married and have children ad the family just keeps on growing.

As to the right way and the wrong way to raise children - I don't think it matters too much as long as they know the difference between right and wrong - and grow up well balanced and loved. Love is all that matters when you come down to it.

Rose I agree about Political Correctness and it is sad that some small minded people have nothing better to do than think of new ways to pull us all down to their level.

I am not and never will be a politically correct person and so if someone wants to put me in jail for saying that black is black and fat is fat then so be it. I tell it like it is and always have done, it is called using the English language properly. If you don't like the truth then that is tough but live in the real world, not cloud cuckoo land.

Sorry if that sounds a bit strong but the PC brigade get me very annoyed.

I like you poem Heri.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that one critic of the Lord of the the Rings said that it was just schollboy adventure and would not catch on. I bet he could eat his words now!

Thanks for reading

Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 12:57
Cool poem, HT, made me smile and it rings so true, we are among friends here and that is great! :love:

MT, would love to study elvish together. We can just go at our own pace I'll talk to you more about it when there is a bit more time here.

OMG, Swabby, you are so funny! Think I'll hang with Awelyn on this one, though

HI LadyAdaneth! In answer to your question about how we visualize each other here, I'd say a little bit of everything, but mostly getting to know them through reading the posts. Guess it's more of a feeling or instinct thing for me.

Speaking of grandchildren, thought I'd share a funny story regarding my youngest grandson, who is 7. His other grandparents were visiting and not exactly getting along. So he told his grandpap that he should buy some Levitra! (Hope I spelled that right.) Guess he's seen the commercials and how it makes everyone happy!!

Take care all and have a great night! :love::heart:
Navaer!

Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 12:59
:wave: Hi Mags. Lol!! :hug: Lovely to see you here. It's a great hidey hole for we Eldars. You took your time, but welcome to the FoF family. :love:

Love your poem HT. I'm about a couple of verses into one myself.

LadyA. Here are the links, hope you enjoy them.

(a). You need to scroll down the page until you come to 'Book Reviews'
The others are just interesting reading with different views.
(b)
(c)
(d)

Re: What we look like. I imagined Old Tom looked like he did, and wasn't disappointed. Swabby, yes I suppose I had an inkling, maybe something to do with him being a sailor. I haven't seen the rest of us, well apart from your avie, LadyA so have to be honest and say I am uncertain. I do, however, know what Magoleth looks like, as we meet regularly. *runs off to find pics of fellow FoFrs.

12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email