Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Wiccan/Pagan potluck thread
on: December 03, 2005 05:32
The Wiccan thread seems to have died, and rather than dig it up, perhaps it is time to start this cycle again and begin anew.

So, in teh tradition of wiccan and pagan gatethings, we'll have a potluck. Bring a dish of your thoughts, a bowl of your stories and er, a plastic cup of silliness. Share ritual ideas, magic lessons, or just stories about being pagan.

hobbitnamedeliza
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Wiccan/Pagan potluck thread
on: December 06, 2005 11:43
Hello, Vaya! Although I'm not Pagan, I thought I'd say "Hi." Potlucks are a big thing in most religions, anyway, right?

With Christmas approaching, maybe it's appropriate to thank the Pagan community for some of the lovely traditions we Christians enjoy this time of year: Christmas Trees and Yule Logs among the rest! Spiritualities of all sorts work together to create a rich and wonderful celebration of life and the Creator, do they not?

Joy!
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: December 07, 2005 03:26
Thanks, hobbitnamedeliza! The old ways definitely influenced how we celebrate this season.

Hmm... Vaya: In the past few years it's just been my hubby and me celebrating what we call Alban Artan and what the Wiccans call Yule. This year we did a combined celebration of Samhuin and decided we liked it so much we'd do it for Yule. We have a Wiccan couple we're friends with and plan on another merged ceremony on the solstice. Thanking the world for all its gifts and recognizing on the longest night of the year a rebirth of the spirit.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2005 04:19
Great idea , vaya. I have lots of interesting blessings and rituals tucked away in my collection. Will look through and find something suitable to share.

**For now - a cup of wassail as I ponder and sift. Ahh the scent of apple, cinnamon, clove-studded orange and a hint of cranberry fills the air, as Neenime sorts through parchment and boxes. Blowing off dust here and there, fingering a favourite object, recalling past celebrations .**

"Ah, here it is. A blessing for the Wonter Solstice, which approaches: "

Brightener of Darkness, hail!
Keeper of Clearness,
Opener of the Depths,
Gifts of plenty are arising,
Winter wonders, white snows fall.
Joyful be the heart within us,
Open Wide the guesting door,
Wisdom waken in abundance,
Warm our beings to the core

[Edited on 8/12/2005 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Burzlondewen
Realm Head of Tulkas
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 11:44
Happy (early) Yule!
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2005 04:32
May the coming of Yule give us love and life in the faces of our families, and may the new year bring new love and happiness into our lives.

May the simple pleasures in life bring you warm smiles, may the complex problems pass you by, and may your life be filled with love.
chreotha
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 25, 2005 03:05
Ive always been curious about wicca, being raised christian but no longer following they dont exactly tell us a who lot about other cultures or religions. does anyone have any good sites or books to recommend?

[Edited on 12/26/2005 by chreotha]
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: December 27, 2005 07:35
Hello chreotha! Maybe some of these links would be of help:

Witchvox
Crystal Forest
Branwen's Pagan Directory
The Cauldron
Undernet #wicca
13LegolasesGirl17
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2005 03:42
Morwinyoniel those websites are goingto be extremely helpful! Thank you for sharing them!
chreotha
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2005 07:46
thanx so much i cant wait to check them all out
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2006 03:43
I just have to pimp this site...

http://www.salemtarot.com cause its run by a friend of my family. Its mroe about Tarot, but still pretty cool.

As for books, I would recommend

Starhawk "The Spiral Dance"

Isaac Bonewitz "Real Magic"

And Scott Cunnginham's books.

[Edited on 5/1/2006 by vaya]
Burzlondewen
Realm Head of Tulkas
Send Message
on: January 05, 2006 01:27
Another really good book is Silver Ravenwolfs Solitary Witch, but i recommend not reading it if you get easily offended when people down grade Christianity... she is a bit bias when it comes to that subject.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2006 05:56
Greetings sisters and brothers . I bring food to the potluck. My family is celebrating Christmas by the old Julian calendar (many traditional Ukrainians stilll do that). Our customs arise from pagan times but have had a new, Christian interpretation put on them.

I bring a dish of "kutia" (pronounced KOO'-tya) It's made of boiled wheat with honey and poppy seeds. Toss a spoonful up to the ceiling and the more of it that sticks, the bettter the coming harvest will be!

My spiritual contribution is two-fold. An interesting review of the history of paganism is Margot Adler's DRAWING DOWN THE MOON. It answers a lot of questions about the many forms that paganism and neo-paganism takes in Europe and North America.

Secondly, I love to read SAGEWOMAN. it's a quarterly magazine for women . It's subheading is " Honouring the Goddess in Everywoman Absolutely chock full of articles about various goddesses in many traditions, poems, ritual ideas, healing, astrology, as well as related advertizing and classified ads.. Great illustrations, too.

Blessings on you all
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
chreotha
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2006 04:14
i bought a scott cunnigham book on ebay i cant wait to get it and start learning!
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: January 09, 2006 09:15
I've started to read Way of the Goddess by Ann-Marie Gallagher. That book is a guide to the many aspects and practices of Goddess spirituality, and I've found it very useful.
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 03:47
Another really good book is Silver Ravenwolfs Solitary Witch, but i recommend not reading it if you get easily offended when people down grade Christianity... she is a bit bias when it comes to that subject.

I tend to stear clear of her anyways, she's a bit too "Teenage Wicca" for my tastes.

i bought a scott cunnigham book on ebay i cant wait to get it and start learning!

I should point out that Cunnginham's books are more geared towards practical uses of magic and less on the spiritual aspects (I should've mentioned that beforehand, sorry) Starhawk is more on the spiritual side, so together they provide a good balance on wicca and witchcraft
chreotha
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2006 03:45
well, to be honest with ya I'm not really ready to don a black robe and set up my altar. I really just looking into what it all is. I'm liking the cunninghan book cuz its very open about personal taste. I think ive read a dozen times him say in different ways "do things however you're comfortable"
I'm positive now that i will never be a true, die hard wiccan. but so much of the basic beliefs are very much how I live my life anyways. Its really more of a lifestyle study than a religion to me now.
Burzlondewen
Realm Head of Tulkas
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 03:08
I tend to stear clear of her anyways, she's a bit too "Teenage Wicca" for my tastes.

Ya, and too much modern wicca for me, but im a person that likes to read tons of different perspectives, because afterall, there is no straight path through wicca. The reason i reccomended that book was because i think she has some great ideas and the book is great for beginners because it isnt all jibberish/hard to understand like most beginner books i stumble upon at book stores.
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 02:25
well, to be honest with ya I'm not really ready to don a black robe and set up my altar. .

Please, we don't wear black robes....

sometimes we don't wear anything at all....
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 03:40

sometimes we don't wear anything at all....vaya wrote:

LOL... That depends on the time of year and how hardy we are! Heh... Actually, it also depends on how private the area we practice in is and personal preference. My robe is deep blue to indicate the Bardic level of Druids, but robes are very personal and no one dictates what color you wear.
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 02:14

sometimes we don't wear anything at all....vaya wrote:

LOL... That depends on the time of year and how hardy we are! Heh... Actually, it also depends on how private the area we practice in is and personal preference. My robe is deep blue to indicate the Bardic level of Druids, but robes are very personal and no one dictates what color you wear.

for the record, I don't particularly favor skyclad, in fact I am often the sole person with clothes on. I just don't buy this "its how the ancestors did it" arguement.

England's cold guys, they had clothes on.

I also tend not to wear robes, just normal clothes, whatever's comfortable.
chreotha
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 07:37
sorry to sound so edgy about it. I grew up in a very christian backround and im so used to ridgid religious beliefs im waiting for the first anyone to say im not doing it right just cuz im not doing it their way. its a very hard stereotype to get over.
I have desided to used quenya elvish whenever possible. It has been helping me to really understand what I want to say and what exactly i mean in my wiccan studies. i have found i can concentrate and comprehend a lot better this way. LOL oh what my mom would say if she could hear me say a prayer in elvish
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2006 03:05
sorry to sound so edgy about it. I grew up in a very christian backround and im so used to ridgid religious beliefs im waiting for the first anyone to say im not doing it right just cuz im not doing it their way. its a very hard stereotype to get over.
I have desided to used quenya elvish whenever possible. It has been helping me to really understand what I want to say and what exactly i mean in my wiccan studies. i have found i can concentrate and comprehend a lot better this way. LOL oh what my mom would say if she could hear me say a prayer in elvish

There are certainly Wiccans who are rigid in their practices. I steer clear of them, but then, I have no patience for fundementalism in any form.

As far as I am concerned, its difficult to Wicca "wrong" because there is such a wide berth of techniques.
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2006 02:25

There are certainly Wiccans who are rigid in their practices. I steer clear of them, but then, I have no patience for fundementalism in any form.

As far as I am concerned, its difficult to Wicca "wrong" because there is such a wide berth of techniques.

Actually, now that I think about this, I want to alter this slightly.

There are those who are rigid in "Wicca" (the spiritual practice) because they're Alexandrians/Gardnarians and get real uppity when slackers like me call ourselves wiccan, because being an eclectic solitary is pretty different than a ritual heavy Alexandrian.

Witchcraft, the art of magic, has lots of techniques, but at the core there is a structured way to how it works. Either you get it right or you don't, and if you don't, you don't get results. But once you understand the fundementals of magic, the ritual becoems consequental.
chreotha
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2006 07:23
wow I have a lot of reading to do almost none of what you wrote made any sence
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 02:53
wow I have a lot of reading to do almost none of what you wrote made any sence

Lol, well is there anything in particular you'd like to me to explain further?
chreotha
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 02:49
well my first would be the Alexandrians/Gardnarians thing. How many different types of wicca are there?
I'm not looking to join any kind of coven. I really love the idea of being solitary, ive always been a solitary person anyhow.
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2006 04:10
well my first would be the Alexandrians/Gardnarians thing. How many different types of wicca are there?
I'm not looking to join any kind of coven. I really love the idea of being solitary, ive always been a solitary person anyhow.

There are different traditions the Alexandrians and Gardnarians are based on the first revival of the occult.

I find it best to differentiate between traditions by reading the light bulb jokes on them...

http://www.theblessedbee.com/lightbulbjokes.html

WARNING: Some of the joeks on that site may not be appropriate for younger readers. Course, they probably won't get it anyways.

More realistically, traditions vary from coven to coven. If you like structure, you find a structured coven, if you like a looser atmosphere you can find a coven like that

I enjoy being solitary too, however, I find it useful to join in rituals with a large group of people, if nothing else for ideas. If you check out witchvox, you can easily find events in your area.
chreotha
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2006 07:24
those were funny! thanx for the link. I tried looking for witchvox but i got an error message saying i was "forbidden" which made me laugh even harder.
I think i'll tay solitary for a while. Now that I've finished reading the book I've gotten i've got to find the funds to get a new one.
Ya know I love having someone to chat with about this. Are there sites for this kind of thing with message boards?
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2006 01:11
those were funny! thanx for the link. I tried looking for witchvox but i got an error message saying i was "forbidden" which made me laugh even harder.
I think i'll tay solitary for a while. Now that I've finished reading the book I've gotten i've got to find the funds to get a new one.
Ya know I love having someone to chat with about this. Are there sites for this kind of thing with message boards?

they're out there, but I've yet to find one that I could really stick too (I thought Salem Tarot had one, but I guess not, or maybe it got closed)

Thing is, most forums you come across are probably going to be the light and fluffy bradn of wicca or the dark teenage goth brand. Frankly I don't go to either extreme and quickly lose patience with both in large groups.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 03:40
chreotha . I am like you in that I react to being controlled or criticized for details. I find that in too many religions. in my old Catholic Church) what's the correct direction to walked around the altar when changing the table cloths ? I've heard of fights breaking out at pow-wows (Native traditions) about whether the feather in the opeinf ceremony shold pint to the Earth orthe Sky. GIMME A BREAK!

Now maybe some day we'll prove that there really is something correct or incorrect about technique, but a lot of research suggests that the power is in intention and thought energy, so my money is on doing what is intuitively right for you.

Me? I borrow freely from any religion or philiosophy that resonates with my spiritual need: Christian, Pagan, Hindu, Buddhist, Unitarian, Taoist, NAtive North American, African. I don't think that the Divine Presence really gives a hoot.

Good journey to you all!
chreotha
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2006 07:14
I agree completely Neenime I truely believe that we all really worship the same thing jut call it different names and use different traditions to do it. Over too much time groups have gotten so arrogant that they believe they are right and everyone else is wrong. Of course if my strict mother ever knew about my wiccan studies she disown me, so i try my best to forgive her of her iggnorance and keep everythnig i believe secret
SilverMoonLady
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2006 07:05
Greetings

Wandering in and glad to see we're still chatting about!

Chreota - I totally second the suggestion of adding Spiral Dance to your library, as it does balance and complement the practicality of Cunningham very well with some history, symbology and spirituality.
Good luck in your search!

Sil
*eclectic wiccan & kitchen witch*
chreotha
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2006 05:30
thanks SilverMoonLady i'll go look for it on ebay. Ive finished my first book and am ready for another. they can get hard to find in the bookstores so ebay is prolly my best bet
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2006 02:48
thanks SilverMoonLady i'll go look for it on ebay. Ive finished my first book and am ready for another. they can get hard to find in the bookstores so ebay is prolly my best bet

The Spiral Dance may be easier to find than most other books, since its pretty popular, if you have a Barnes and Nobles near you check out the philosophy/new age section
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email