Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
Post Mirkwood, always Mirkwood
on: May 05, 2006 02:47
An adventure of Mirkwood, involving lots of suspense, spiders, maybe even wraiths and goblins. Before Sauron occupied Mordor again, after the Last Alliance. Please pm before joining, and provide a bit of a description of your character (mood and appearance) in your first post.

-------------------

Raug hummed his way through the halls of Mirkwood, wandering about, balsam wood in hand. It was good wood to carve, and Raug needed something to occupy his hands. He'd been sitting on them for over a week now, and it was driving him insane. Some would call him impatient, or even antsy, but he couldn't help it. He had to have something to do, and with Thranduil holding back his hunting group out of fear of the rising danger, Raugh was left with nothing--absolutely nothing--to do.

Raug was the kind of person everyone thought was ridiculous, but would jump to a friend's side at the slightest prompting. He'd earned his name from the Numenorian regiment he'd travelled with back during the Last Alliance. He'd been so good a magic tricks they'd good-naturedly nicknamed him the Raug. He'd hadn't done much to spread it, though, to be honest, he prefered it to his real name--what kind of man, honestly, would want to walk around with the name Mirion, son of a jewel? honestly?--and the name had stuck.

So here he was, tall and rather bulky, even by elven standards, with copper hair and dressed in grey--and he had cabin fever so bad he'd jump at any chance, any chance at all, to escape the caves Thranduil had trapped them in.

[Edited on 6/5/2006 by pitya]

[Edited on 6/5/2006 by pitya]
Túrwen87
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Mirkwood, always Mirkwood
on: May 18, 2006 05:14
(You told me I could join. So here I am. I hope the character is ok....)

Melannen was a large Elf with long, blonde hair. His blue eyes showed wisdom and that he had already seen much in his life. People were right, he thought, when they called him “the thinker”.

He had a stern look upon his face, which normally was described as beautiful, as he rushed to the halls of Mirkwood. He just came back from a journey. They all thought about an upcoming danger and somehow he also had this feeling. Even though he couldn’t find out much in these three days he was away, he had the impression that some really behaved in a strange way. As if they were afraid of a rising danger. But nobody wanted to inform him. So he thought that it would be better to return. If there really should be something dangerous, he was needed here.

He wished they would tell him what was going on. Melannen hated it to guess about things others already knew.

As he reached the halls, he heard someone hum in front of him. It was Raug. He had seen him before, but he didn’t know much about him. As he passed by, Melannen stopped and greeted him.
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2006 05:23
((hey turwen. good to have you. for some reason your character name is appearing as Mel n on my screen, so for now I'll just call him mel, unless you want something else))

Raug looked up at a greeting, locking eyes with a blond-haired elf; for some reason, the look on the elf's face reminded Raug of regality, or perhaps solemnity. He couldn't ever tell the difference. "Hail, Mel." He recognized the friendly acquaintence as one does someone one has lived in the vicinity of, but never really known. "I thought your group was out journeying," he added as a side remark, obviously a friendly, curious question.

[Edited on 19/5/2006 by pitya]
Túrwen87
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2006 04:46
(It's alright. You can stick to Mel, too. In fact he is called Melannon, but I don't mind, really....)

Melannon smiled slightly inside himself. He immediately recognized the side remark of raug as real interest, or perhaps curiousity. But he didn't mind. In fact he had wondred why he wasn't out with other groups. This didn't really fit in the situation. Didn't they need anyone when there really was an upcoming danger?

But then he interupted his thoughts himself and answered the hidden question: "Well, we actually should still be journeying. But I broke it off." He paused for a short time, but then went on: "I thought it was stupid riding around for nothing. Anyway, we couldn't find out anything."

He thought for a moment, but then decided to let everything out: "I relly wonder what this is all about!" He shook his head and hoped in a way that Raug could give him any answers, but he didn't dare to ask it. If he should know anything important, they would tell him.

Instead he asked another question: "Why aren't you out with any of the groups?" He was jsut curious, because all this didn't seem to be normal.
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2006 10:34
((so now the name is working. go figure.))

Impatience flared in Raug's eyes. "King Thranduil has the hunting groups in for almost a week now. Something about spiders and attacks on the outer ridge. It's driving me crazy." Continuing with his carving, he continued, "They say a dark power is rising in the south, and the darkness is spreading."
Túrwen87
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2006 05:49
At his words, Melannon watched Raug. Then he smiled and said: "It's obviously that sitting inside is nearly killing you." But then he became serious again. "Yeah, this is all I've heard of, too. People outside Mirkwood behave in a strange way, but noone would talk. All this is really strange."
Melannon wasn't used to normal converstaion. He normally shouted orders to the people in his group. But he also could do otherwise. So he was very thankful that he could get away from all this war stuff for a short period of time.
Nevertheless he asked: "Would you like to join me on my way to King Thranduil? I have to repost him about our short excursion."
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2006 01:11
"Delighted," Raug remarked, slightly sarcastic--Thranduil didn't like him particularly well, but the chance of getting out of the caves was worth it. "Maybe I can convince him to let the hunting parties out."
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2006 02:09
Mallgwae had escaped...yes he had done this on purpose! The golden elven steed ran as fast as he could, his elven companion, Durhen, on his back. 'We are going to get in so much trouble' The brown-haired elf thought. He was not supposed to be riding Mallgwae, the steed was to powerful. HA! Durhen was enjoying this ride.
It was a moment later when he came upon two elves taking. 'Oh d@mn, he thought, I'm in trouble now!'
Túrwen87
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2006 05:33
The two of them just wnated to start their way to King Thranduil, even though Raug didn't seem to be delighted, as Melannon heard the noice of fast hooves on the ground.

Her turned round and his eyes widened as suddenly someone came along the path riding on a really wild steed.

"What the....?" But he couldn't finish the sentence. Instead he looked upon the other Elf and saw his shocked face.

He was himself again as his face became stern and he asked rather angry: "Who exactly are you? And why are you riding along this path like a berserk?!"
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2006 01:29
Phew, Durhen thought, he doesn't know me. "I am Durhen" He answered carefully, "I ride fast for my companion does enjoy the thrill of speed." He stroked the great horse's powerful neck. "And this trail, only because it cross the path I had planned on taking crosses with this."
He hoped that neither would recognise him as the adopted son of the King Thranduills advisor, Collelril. He also chose not to mention the fact that he was running away.

[Edited on 30/5/2006 by minstral_of_the_dawn]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: May 30, 2006 06:45
(Hello all! I've permission to join...so here we go!)

Ardinlas, alone on Shadow as usual, heard the crash of hooves through the forest. "What in the world?" she asked Shadow, slowing the great horse down to a canter. Soon enough, she came to a clearing and heard the talking of three elves. The niece of Thranduil rode her great white horse into the clearing and looked around. "I beg pardon, good sirs. Have I intruded upon anything?" Ardinlas thought she recognized one or two of the elves, but she didn't want to make the mistake of saying anything to offend any of them.
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2006 10:28
Durhen's throat caught, he recognised the King's niece. Mallgwae snorted, stamping his hoof on the turf. I know, my friend, this is getting to close for comfort.' Patience or we'll be in bigger trouble then we began. Durhen thought to the golden horse.

OOC: Welcome!

[Edited on 30/5/2006 by minstral_of_the_dawn]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: May 31, 2006 04:39
(Thanks!)

Ardinlas looked evenly at one of them. Is that Durhen? she thought as Shadow whinnied, recognizing the golden stallion. What is he doing out here?
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2006 10:07
Mallgwae snorted slightly, nodding his proud head in greeting to Shadow. 'MALLGWAE!' Durhen thought furiously, "You'll give us away.'
"No my lady, it was nothing of importance that you came upon. I bid you all farewell." And so he tried to vanish back into the trees, acting as calm as he could. But he figured someone would stop him before he could get there.

[Edited on 31/5/2006 by minstral_of_the_dawn]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: May 31, 2006 10:40
"Wait!" cried Ardinlas to the Elf that started to flee. Shadow lunged forward and blocked the golden stallion's way. "Why do you flee?" she asked quietly so only the Elf could hear. "I think I know you, and why do flee when you lay eyes upon me? I mean you no harm if you think I do. Please, is your name Durhen?" Her tone was soft, and her eyes were bewildered as to why the person in front of her would flee.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2006 04:01
Mallgwae snorted and moved as if to attack, but Durhen stopped him. He was uncomfortable under her gaze, he felt as if Thuranduil himself was judging him.
"My name is Durhen. And I know of you my lady, and I know you mean no harm. I do not flee, only contiue on my journey...where that leads I can not say...please...do not inquire further. It would bring more trouble then you could want, it is best for you not to know." He had always felt so confined in the palace halls, even though he could come and go as he wished. He wanted to see more, he wanted to escape the memories of those halls for good. Because of these lands he had lost his father and mother...elves weren't supposed to die, but he had known death many times over.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: June 01, 2006 10:57
Ardinlas' hazel eyes lit up at the thought of a journey, but she noted the clouded look in Durhen's eyes. "A journey, you say? But as you wish, I won't pry further. But please know that I am not like my uncle, and if there is anything you need to say, say it to me. I give my word and honor as a warrior that I will say nothing to anyone, unless it is of the uttermost importance. And if you need a companion, I would be more than willing to help you. I fear not trouble of any sort. However, if you are on your way, sir Durhen, do not let me say I stood in your path." With that, Ardinlas backed Shadow up and gazed at Durhen steadily, her keen eyes assessing the likelihood of the Elf to continue on.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2006 11:32
Durhen paused, this was unexpected, he had been expecting a want for information. He was thrown off guard, he was uncertain weather or not to go on. Durhen felt himself relax, the tension falling from his muscles, that he had not even known was there.
"The trouble would come from your uncle, King Thuranduil, I fear, and not from any evil that may walk this earth. I plan to travel...well, I do not know where exactly...anywhere that is not here." He finished quietly.
Durhen contemplated heading off into the forest but he could not bring himself to do so. He took a barely noticable shakey breath and looked back at the group, turning Mallgwae to face Shadow.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: June 01, 2006 11:51
Ardinlas laughed. "I could expect that. A danger not of this earth? Perhaps it is a matter of my age that I know not of what you speak. But as I've said, do not let me stay you from your journey." She loved journeying, but she didn't want to pry into anything that was not her business. Ardinlas was surprised that Durhen had stayed; she had expected him to go on his way.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2006 12:18
Arrggg!, Durhen thought. In an odd way he had wanted her to argue, for anyone to object.
"You forget, Ardinlas, that I am also young." He needed to vent some of his frustration, he was about to turn and leave when he thought he heard a scuttling above his head.
"Do you hear that?" He asked, looking up into the branches.

[Edited on 1/6/2006 by minstral_of_the_dawn]
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2006 03:37
((sorry, been busy))

Raug had watched the exchange with slight amusement--the lad obviously had somewhere to be (or, rather, somewhere not to be) but he saw the light in his eyes. He recognized that look, for it had so often crossed his brother's face, when they were talking of things of importance. He wanted someone to resist him.

"Here, Durhen," he interrupted. "We're on our way to Thranduil now, Melannon and I. Perhaps we might work something out." As an afternote, "I'm not overly fond of Thranduil, either, but maybe together we can get him to peacefully let us leave."
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2006 04:16
"Um...I think it would be best if I do not return to the palace I...I have left without permission, and no one knows where I have gone." He said quietly, "Thank you though, for your offer. But if I returned to the palace, I would never get out again." He tried to smile but failed.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 04:56
Ardinlas frowned as she listened to Durhen and another Elf talking, one that she recognized. "My uncle doesn't seem to be in a mood to work much out at the moment. I would let him be if you are...leaving without permission." As she spotted the look in Durhen's eyes, Ardinlas realized that it was a look that had often crept up on her unknowingly. A noise caused her to look up into the branches of a tree. "What is that?" she asked to no one in particular. Shadow pricked his ears up and listened intently as the noise went from tree to tree.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 09:52
"As I said, Ardinlas, I can not return without being sealed inside for the rest of eternity." His eyes were sad, but stubborn.
Durhen looked up, was that a noise? he could have sworn that he had seen a black leg up on a branch.
"Perhaps we should be leaving, I do not think we are alone anymore."
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 10:45
The look in Durhen's eyes were resolute, and Ardinlas understood that. She wanted to know why he would be running away from her uncle; what had he done that angered Thranduil so? She sighed and looked up in the tree again. "Yes, we should go...quickly." She withdrew Wyndfar to be on the safe side.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 10:59
Durhen moved to follow, Mallgwae snorted, rearing up suddenly, throwing his rider to the ground. A spider, as large as a hound, leapt onto the golden stallion's bare back.
"Mallgwae!" Durhen shouted, drawing his sword with his left hand. His right arm would not respond.
The horse bucked, throwing the spider onto its back, but it flipped over and hurried towards the elves. There were more sounds of scuttling nearby.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 11:23
Spiders? Ardinlas thought. Oh great. She urged Shadow toward the group, and as they galloped toward it, one of the spiders landed on Shadow's back directly in front of Ardinlas. She used Wyndfar to fling it off, and it toppled off the horse's back. Shadow leaped forward and maintained a quick gallop. "Spiders!" Ardinlas cried. "Spiders! Prepare to defend yourselves!"
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 12:14
Durhen rose to his feet unsteadaly. His arm felt like it was on fire! He gritted his teeth, and planted his feet firmly in the ground, the valar only knew that his head was not.
Mallgwae galloped towards his friend, stomping on the spiders about his feet. Durhen was fighting them off as best he could, but he was disoriented...a concussion perhaps. The horse screamed in fury and charged through the spiders towards his friend.
Túrwen87
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2006 07:22
(Sorry, was also quite busy the last week....)

Melannon had listened quietly to the others talking. He didn't know what to say to this topic. He didn't have any anger with Thranduil, though he also couldn't understand his business these last days. So he felt splitted up. On the one hand he wanted to do his job and go on to the king to report him of his journey and wait for his next task. But on the other hand, as he listend to the conversation of the other Elves, he felt some kind of a desire. He wanted to be free once more, like he has been before he offered his service ot the king.

Suddenly he heard the others scream and then he also saw the spiders. After a short moment, he finally started to run and help the others. He was a good fighter, but those spiders were really tricky. After he got one another attacked him from behind. During the talk he had heard the name of the Elves, so he called: "Durhen, Ardinlas, Raug, please help me!"
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2006 10:50
Raug heard Melannon's cry and leapt to his side, slicing through a spider's backside on the way--if you caught them from behind, they were fairly easy. If you could catch them from behind. Which wasn't easy.

Once to Melannon, he leapt at the spider attacking him, struggling to reach it's abdomen, slicing through legs on the way. Another spider came at him from the side, and he dodged it, tripping and landing with a thump on the ground. Instantly spiders were at him, and he fought tooth and nail to rise again, fangs coming dangerously close to his skin. With a final cry hesprang to his feet, meeting Melannon back to back.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2006 11:52
Durhen steadyed himself and ran to help the elf who had called out. He lunged at the spiders, darting back and forth, mimiking their movements, he aimed for their legs, to incapitate them from moving. It was to hard to get behind them. It would make them easier to kill. His arm was giving him trouble, he pushed the pain back, fighting with both of his hands, his sword singing.
Mallgwae was in the midst of the fray as well. His hooves lashing out at the spiders. Please let this end quickly! Durhen silently prayed.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: June 07, 2006 04:50
Ardinlas heard one of the Elves cry for help so she steered Shadow towards him. She swung Wyndfar left and right, attempting to make way for her horse, but the spiders were coming in numbers. Shadow surged through the fray, treading on as many spiders as possible. Ardinlas leapt off Shadow and landed near the Elf she was to aid. Wyndfar sliced through spider hide, but the vermin were as tough as nails. One jumped at her chest, and Ardinlas ducked, the spider crashing into a nearby tree. Huge these things were, as large as a dog and perhaps larger. Ardinlas stood with her back against a tree, loosening the head of one huge specimen. Shadow reared and struck down as many as he could, but even he was beginning to be overwhelmed. What can we do? Ardinlas wondered desprately. I knew there had been spiders in the forest, but why in the world do they choose to attack us in droves now?
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2006 09:39
Durhen suddenly felt a pain in his leg. It burned him feeling something akin to acid or fire. His leg collapsed on him and he cried out in pain.
Durhen swiped his sword back, killing the spider that had bit him. Mallgwae reared up and killed antoher near by. Durhen stood, barely. He could not give up!
Túrwen87
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 07:56
Melannon silently thanked the others that they came so fast. Now he could move freely again. But these creatures didn't give up. He really became angry and managed to kill two on his right side. Nevertheless swaet was running down his face. He heard Durhen cry out loud. He seemed to be hurt. Melannon tried to fight his way to him, but it was impossible. "Think logical and stay calm", he said to himself. He knew that he first had to fight against the spiders around him, before he could help the other Elf. "Stupid things", he swore and again gripped tighlty around his sword, swining it from one side to another.
Slowly he came nearer to Durhen. "Are you alright?", he called, not sure if anyone could hear him with all these noises from the spiders.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 10:01
Durhen heard the voice of Melannon, he fought through dizzyness and pain to answer, but he could not find his voice. He resulted in shaking his head. He slew another spider but he was slowing, his hands were shaking. Durhen gritted his teeth and fought back as hard as he could. Mallgwae, you must be my guard. He though to the golden horse. The golden horse nodded and attacked even faster.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email