Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
Post RE: Mirkwood, always Mirkwood
on: August 17, 2006 09:42
(I can take over the elven lady if it is all right.)

"Sauron? The Necromancer? What evil is there in Middle-Earth that would want to harm life?" Ardinlas asked herself. The elven lady caught her eye; this was Lorintal, an old friend of Ardinlas'.

The fair-haired lady spoke, her voice echoing throughout the hall. "There are rumours of what is abroad, and most of you think that it could be Sauron, the Necromancer, other evils have arisen. Unfortunately, I am here to confirm those rumours."
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2006 11:40
"There are rumours of what is abroad, and most of you think that it could be Sauron, the Necromancer, other evils have arisen. Unfortunately, I am here to confirm those rumours."
Durhen shook his head, 'lovely' he thought. He looked to his father who seemed to think alike.
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2006 04:55
Raug looked to her. "What are you saying? There is no greater malice in Arda than Sauron. What else could it be?"

Borion shook his head as they all sat at the table, taking a well earned rest. Drinks were brought around, and a meal for those that wanted it; soldiers passed by the open door, rushing to wherever they were going in a great hurry.

It made Raug uncomfortable.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: August 18, 2006 09:44
Lorintal shook her head. "I am not sure of other evils, but it is true that Sauron has risen again. I am not one to pull the wool over your eyes. There could be other things, but right now it is just Sauron and his minions. We need to decide on a plan of action, a council of war if you will." Her green eyes were serious, her tone anxious.

Ardinlas looked at her friend. She stood and said harshly, "Then we will fight what we can and work on defeating what we can't!" she cried, ever the warrior. "If we stop them as soon as possible, then we have not to deal with them later!"
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2006 01:35
Durhen leaned against a wall wearily, hadn't they just escaped these events a few years ago? Colleril retained his composure but was as deeply troubled as his adopted son.
"If we stop them as soon as possible, then we have not to deal with them later!"
"And how do you propose to stop them? Our small group had trouble fending off a few spiders and one unseen enemy...yes we have to stop them...but how is the question." Durhen said loud enough to be heard.
"An army will not work well, the death toll would be to high for us to stand, we would be venurable from a counter attack witch will surely come swiftly after our first assult. We almost need to copy his tactics, raids, hunts, very small, but very fast. We need to...as much as I hate to say it...probably adopt some of his tactics but change them enough that he doesn't recognise them." Colleril said, adding on to what Durhen had said. He waited for the reaction of the others.
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2006 05:34
((i posted an discussion in the ooc forum for discussion related to the general direction of the thread: check it out, add ideas, improve, whatever you will. all help welcome.))

Raug turned to Durhen, who still looked a bit pale. "It is an excellent idea, if we knew what we were fighting. But we do not even know for sure who 'he' is for certain--we have no proof of anything, other than that a darkness has risen, and Sauron is once more in Dol Guldur."

He turned to look at Lorintal; "Do you have any scouts that you could spare, to learn more of this?"

"It is too risky," Borion interjected. "The shadow has descended too fast--what anyone could learn of it would probably be lost along with their lives before they returned."
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: August 28, 2006 08:24
Lorintal inclined her head. "I do not have too many to spare, but I will help where I can. A few of my most trusted ones would not go amiss, and it is better if we have some knowledge of this and not be left in the dark about it," she said grimly.

Ardinlas took her turn. "Guerilla tactics against the evil will only work so well if we don't know exactly what we are fighting. Knowledge will help us, regardless of the danger. Isn't there danger in anything that we do? There is a risk in knowing that we might fail, but if we succeed in getting information, then we can be better prepared to face the enemy when it comes."
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2006 06:20
(okay, got permission to join, so here we go: )

"Knowledge will help us, regardless of the danger. Isn't there danger in anything that we do?"

At those words, a girl stepped out of the passage that led to the kitchen, and began to move slowly closer to the table. She looked simple, like a servant, wearing a darkened gown, with her light-brown hair plaited into a wreath at the back of her head. A leather belt hung across her chest, and on this belt a bag that looked rater heavy.

When the lady (Ardinlas) finished speaking, the girl quickly rounded the table, approaching the company. "And 'information' is where I come in," she said, and turning her bag upside down, emptyed it on the table. She picked up several script rolls, looking hastly at them, in search for the one she was intending to show them. Finally, under the big pile of parchment, she found it - her own map of Mirkwood. She unfolded the yellowed paper, turned it towards the others and spoke: "Reya is my name, and I am a pathfinder - one not even your ranger gals," she nodded towards Lorintal, "could beat in getting places unseen. And if you are planning what I believe you are, I offer you my service, such as it is."

Then the girl bent over the table once more, and began stuffing everything but her map back into the bag. With the last scroll in place, she sat down on a corner of the table, adding in a somewhat lighter tone: "And of course, since this is such an improtant quest, that might affect even me, everything is completely free of charge."

((edit: typos really bugged me))

[Edited on 12/9/2006 by Sana]
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2006 06:05
Borion took an immediate disliking to the woman--she seemed overly confident, arrogant; as if they would pay someone to do a public service. And that's what they needed, essentially: a public service. They needed someone dependable, whom they could all have absolute confidence. Borion glanced up to Lorintal, trying to read her reaction in order to guage his own.

Raug, on the other hand, didn't wait--this woman had him wrapped from the moment she spoke; anyone who could speak that way to a superior was high up on his list, although the may not even be in the employment of the king of Mirkwood. "Are you a mercenary then," he asked offhand with a smile, "or just a concerned citizen?"

((for the record, raug is not coming on to her; simply admiring her))

[Edited on 12/9/2006 by pitya]
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2006 06:42
((okay, lol. wouldn't have interpreted it like that anyway))

"A mercenary? It seems so, doesn't it?" The girl shook her head smiling, pale eyes studying Raug’s features. "Unfortunately; I am neither. Just passing through. But now, back to business." She rose, bent down over the map, and pointed to the paths going south, completely ignoring the look Borion gave her.

"These paths, they are known by many, both friend and foe, so I would not advice them used-" she said, moving her hand further from the edge of the Forest, to a mere gathering of dots in the terrain, letting her fingers trace a line she alone could see. "-and since we know not what we're facing, an off-road path would do. It is indeed a longer, more dangerous road, since the spiders are back and all," she looked up, facing the council, "but the paths that go through the heart of the Forest, would give a better shelter and hideout if needed. 'Cuz you do not want being spotted in places you aren't supposed to be, do you?"

She spoke swiftly, yet in a manner of someone who knew exactly what he, or she, was talking about. There was no hesitation, not even the slightest doubt in her voice - as if she had planned this from the second the company entered the chamber.

[Edited on 13/9/2006 by Sana]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 12, 2006 11:56
Ardinlas glared at the newcomer in anger, her pride insulted. "How dare you come here and offer us your help, speaking to us as if we are green warriors, not knowing the ways of war and even the paths around the wood?" she cried, clenching her hands, hazel eyes blazing.

Lorintal placed a placating hand on Ardinlas' shoulder. "You come here and offer us help? I will accept it on the basis that you be not so condescending toward others, Lady Reya. Some of us here suffer from too much pride...the only problem is that those with too much pride tend to be some of our better warriors as well."
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2006 03:03
The girl withdrew ammediately. "Forgive me my words," she sad to Ardinlas. "I mean no harm; and if it comforts you, I have heard of your skills in battle, so do not take me for a fool seeking quarrel with those whom I would rather have for friends."

Even Ardinlas in her fury, could see that the words were candid, and that Reya never meant to angry her. The girl then turned to Lorintal. "I ask of your forgiveness as well, my lady. For I am willing to help you, even if it means I must keep my tongue behind my teeth."

She bowed deeply showing her respect, and without taking her gaze off the floor, added: "Though the the question is not who knows of these paths, but rather who was here to se them made, and used for equal reasons. The question is - who knows for certain, and not just assumes, that they actually work."

minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2006 03:34
Durhen looked at the group assembled incrediously, an argument was brewing with the arrival of the young woman Reya. He shook his head sadly, this was just what they need, fights among themselves...he had had enough.
"ENOUGH!" He said, rather loudly, grabbing everyones attention.
He paused uncertain, and a little startled that he had actually managed to speak up like that, "Don't you see...we can't let little arguments like this get to us, it will only serve to defeat us!" He looked to Reya, "You will not keep quiet, we need all the help we can get! As I recall we were all on the same side, and now we are arguing over what? over who knows what, and who knows it best? Don't you see...that is what will destroy us, not the enemy, not the spiders, or the shadow, it is if we turn against each other." His voice turned weary as he said those last few words. Durhen looked at the crowd, wondering what had posessed him to say that.
His father rose and put a hand on his adopted son's shoulder, silently giving his approval and strength.
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2006 03:56
Reya looked down. She didn't want to face Durhen; for he was right. "I am sorry", she mumbled under her breath. "Sorry indeed ... but if you still want my help, I will gladly give it." The girl sat down, her gaze settling on the map.

The outcome of the situation, suited her rather well. Long had she waited for a chance to get away from the captive feeling she had had during her whole stay in Mirkwood; now it lay before her feet. And she was not going to spoil it.

Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 13, 2006 07:26
Ardinlas muttered an apology to Reya but stood her ground. "What exactly can you tell us? Knowledge is what we most need now." Her eyes were no longer blazing with anger, but with a curiosity now.

Lorintal nodded. "Indeed. What is it that you show to us that we know not of? We need all the help we can get." Her green eyes were earnest, almost pleading. The situation was getting desparate, and Lorintal was fast running out of ideas. Any help was welcome.
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2006 09:45
The girl hesitated. She had never before shared her secrets with others. "There is... a path, that leads from the border of the Forest into it's very heart, and further on to the field of Dol Guldur. I do not believe that the King or his men know of it, for it was not made by Elven hands, but by Dwarfs and Men; the forbears of those who now dwell at the lake of Esgaroth, and the Lonely Mountain itself."

She spoke slowly, lowering her voice, so that those who walked past the room through the halls, would not hear.

"Knowledge is, as Lady Ardinlas says, important, and what I am offering you, is a way to gain it - but there is one condition." She looked in turn into the eyes of everyone present, making a short stop at Raug's.

minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2006 10:30
Durhen almost audibly groaned. He remembered an old saying 'dwarves would haggle over a price if the world was collapsing around them and not notice.' He did not know that it applied to elves as well.
"And what, pray tell, might that be?" Durhen asked, barely managing to keep the sarcasm out of his voice.
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2006 11:52
"Oh, it's nothing really," the girl laughed, "so you need not take that tone with me, m'lord. The thing is; I do not have a horse. Therefore I am asking, yes asking, that someone could lend me one - because if not, we will all have to go by foot."

The girl reached out and grabbed the map, folded it and put it in her bag. When done, she added; "But now I have to leave you. I've already bothered you enough, and besides I need rest. When you decide upon when to leave or simply want something from me, just ask the servants, they know where to find me."

She brushed a darker lock of hair away from the face, bowed slightly, and started walking towards the hall.

[Edited on 14/9/2006 by Sana]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 14, 2006 11:32
Ardinlas' voice halted Reya. "My horse will bear you, only on his consideration, not mine. You would ride with me, however, because he won't bear you unless I am with you. He is of the Mearas line and very proud so be sure you do not insult him; he understands the speech of Man and Elf so whatever you mutter he can understand." She knew she sounded abrupt, but Ardinlas did not take kindly to the stranger who had come amidst the council.
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2006 05:30
The girl turned around facing Ardinlas. "Oh, thank you m'lady, but I do not wish to burden your horse with extra weight. It's a long and hard road, even for one of the Mearas..."

((sorry it's short))
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2006 11:15
Durhen turned to his father, now that he was apparently not needed anymore. He wanted to say something but did not know how, or what, to say.
Colleril seemed to understand this for he merely smiled and embraced his adopted son. "You need not say anything...I'm just glad that you are safe." Durhen hugged his father back.
"I'm sorry." He whispered to low for the others to hear.
"Shh, it is alright. There is nothing to appologise for." Colleril looked at Durhen, "I'll tell you what, when I get some time off after this whole affair, you and I will go out to the other lands. Will that satasfy you?" He said with a smile.
Durhen only nodded and smiled.
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 16, 2006 05:51
Suddenly Reya came to think of something. Without awaiting answers from the others, she turned to Colleril. "Forgive me if I'm wrong, but are you not one of Thranduil's advisers, My Lord? If that is the case, aren't you then the one in charge here?" She threw a quick glance at Durhen before she continued. "Because if you are, I believe that you would be the one to ask about horses, and possible loan of one? I will pay if required, of course." The last words were a reminder that she agreed to lead the company for free, but did not intend another quarrel. She simply wanted to be able to travel on horseback, without having to ride with someone else.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 16, 2006 06:38
"Yes, I am one of the king's advisors. But I am not in charge here. I can get you the horses, and I do not think you shall have to pay for their use. We should not be haggling while trouble still exists. Durhen, you know the horses here better then anyone...perhaps you could choose an adequit one for Lady Reya." He looked at his adopted son, who nodded.
"Very well, I shall go and see if there is one available, please follow me." He said tonelessly. He only knew the horses because he worked in the stables almost every day.
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2006 04:31
The girl nodded gratefully, and followed Durhen out of the dining room.

When they came out in the Halls, Reya suddenly noticed how crowded they were. Most of the people they passed were standing in small groups, speaking in low voices, almost whispering in fear of being overheard. The girl had heard of the hunting parties being held back, but she never expected to see so many unknown faces so soon. The whole atmosphere in the caves was hushed; somehow fearsome, like silence before the storm.

As they walked on away from the entrance, the Halls got less and less crowded, and when the two of them were the only ones left, Reya walked up to Durhen. "So you are the advisor's son," she began, trying to keep up with him. "How come you work as a stable boy, and not some stuck up ranger-leader?" She added with a smile. It seemed strange to her that he didn't have a more important job, but she admired him for having the courage not to.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2006 05:08
Durhen looked back at her, "I am the advisor's adopted son." He clairified, "He took he in after my parents were killed by orcs. And the reason I do not choose a more dignified position is because I enjoy working with the horses. During the day I work at the stables, but later on in the evning my father teaches me. Gives me lessons in various subjects. I am not very old yet. I have barely a century behind me." Durhen thought for a moment, "It does not trouble me, though I do not enjoy being stuck in this forest, and I should not wish to risk my life unnesessarily."
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2006 05:21
"I understand," the girl answered looking down at the floor. "Sometimes.." she hesitated, "I wish that I had not chosen this path. I would rather have been someone of no importance in a country far away from all this." Her eyes turned hazy for a moment, as if remembering something long time ago. "-though it is not certain that it was my choice to make." She finished speaking just in time to notice that theyhad come to the end of a smaler hall, and were now facing a big door in the stone wall.

[Edited on 17/9/2006 by Sana]
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2006 06:38
Durhen nodded in understanding, "I can see what you mean. It never is, is it?" He opened the door, it lead down annother corridor, which he knew would lead down to the stables.
"Almost there." He said.
They walked down the corridor, until they came to another door, and from there it lead to the stables. The musky sweet smell of horses and hay assulted their sense of smell. Durhen walked along the stalls, patting each horse who stuck it's nose out. He finally came to one he felt was right.
The strawberry roan mare nickered slightly, lifting her head eagerly in greeting.
"Shiana should be good for you. She is strong but extreamly gentl. She knows her way around thats for sure." Durhen took the tall mare out of the stall, bidding her to stand.
"I'll get her tack for you, if you want it of course."
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2006 07:07
Reya walked up to the horse, stroking it's muzzle with the fingertips. The girl looked into the big, brown eyes of the animal, admiring her with a smile. "Shiana..." she whispered. "You are beautiful." Her hand stroke the animal's head, continued to the neck, brushed through the mane, and stopped at the withers.Then, without looking at him, she answered Durhen; "Yes ... yes, please, do it. But I don't think I'll really need it. This one looks like she knows where she's going." She continued stroking the horse, talking to her in a hushed voice.

After a while, the girl moved away from the horse, giving her attention back to Durhen. "Are you coming with us? South, I mean?" she asked, her gray eyes meeting his.

minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2006 07:20
Durhen looked at her, then went off and got Shiana's tack. Returning swiftly.
"Yes, I think that I will be travelling with you. My father will understand, and I need to do something...anything."
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2006 08:23
"Very well." The girl smiled again. "But if you'll excuse me, I have to go and get dressed for the road. I clearly cannot wear this," she said, looking down on her gown. The girl hang the tack on a nail in the wooden wall of Shianas stall, and with this done, she turned towards Durhen again."Thank you for finding me a horse," she said. "I'm in a huge debt to you. But please, send a servant to fetch me when the others decide to leave." And with a last pat on the horse's neck, the girl was gone.

Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 18, 2006 07:27
Ardinlas watched the pair leave, her eyes lighting up with anger. She dismissed the tulmultuous thoughts running through her head with a sigh and turned to Colleril. "Have you any notion that you will come with us at all? I think that Thranduil could manage without one of his advisors for your wisdom could help us greatly in the coming weeks."
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2006 01:33
Colleril thought on that, he was still uncertain, "I shall probably join your search...but not for you, I must look after my son, and I dare say that he will go with you." Colleril grinned weakly, "He can be impulsive at times. But I must tell you, I am not the warrior I was when I was your age. I fear that here in the palace I have grown a bit soft. Though I can still weild a weapon."
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2006 05:49
((wow, sorry--been a little busy; didn't mean to fall this far behind))

Raug watched Reya and Durhen leave with a kind of disappointment; he was rather enjoying seeing Ardinlas get her feathers ruffled. After a brief moment of indecision and observing the others around him, he rose and followed after them.

Borion, on the other hand, was relieved. He could tell Lorintal was displeased, as was Ardinlas, and the more he heard Reya talk, the more he wanted to advise her to stop, for nothing she said seemed to appease Ardinlas' anger. And to refuse the ride of a Maeras... It was a very ill thing to do, he decided to himself, and Reya could not quite know what she was talking about. And if she didn't have the decency or appreciation to accept and reciprocate good-will, how much could she be trusted to lead a small company into possible destruction?

"I shall probably join your search...but not for you, I must look after my son, and I dare say that he will go with you." Colleril grinned weakly, "He can be impulsive at times. But I must tell you, I am not the warrior I was when I was your age. I fear that here in the palace I have grown a bit soft. Though I can still weild a weapon."

Borion smiled slightly; "Aye, you do have a handful with that son of yours," he agreed. "He was nearly unconscious and still trying to fight the spiders, so I hear. It's a good thing I happened along, or else he'd fight himself into Mandos!"

++++++++++++++++

Raug had lost sight of them as they turned into the crowded hallway, and he had stopped to speak with several of the gathered on the way; friends, acquaintances, even his cousin. In the end, he was glad he knew where the stables were, otherwise he would never have found them.

He walked through the heavy wooden door just in time to see Reya petting a mare.

"Are you coming with us? South, I mean?"

"Yes, I think that I will be travelling with you. My father will understand, and I need to do something...anything."

Stepping past the horses and troughs, Raug offered, "Well, if you're going on such a perilous and life-threatening excursion just to do something, you've certainly got more courage then I ever had." As both acknowledged his presence, he added, "Then again, I suppose I can't talk--I left for the same reason. Only, I wasn't the son of an advisor." He offered Reya a salutory glanced, the comment addressed to both, though it mostly concerned only the lad.
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2006 10:10
Reya stopped halfway across the hall, just in time to catch Raug's comment; she hadn't noticed him coming along. Quickly deciding not to answer, she returned to the mare's side, sending Raug a brief smile before turning to Durhen - curious about how he would respond. The girl had actually wanted to say something similar, but had decided not to after thinking about how many people she had enraged already.

While awaiting the answer, Reya let her fingers slip through the silky mane of the animal once more; she had never truly cared for the great beasts in general, but when it came to one horse at a time, she figured they were quite bearable.

[Edited on 19/9/2006 by Sana]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 19, 2006 06:59
Ardinlas glanced at Colleril and replied," Impulsion is not always a bad thing. That is how I survived many encounters that would have killed others. And do not worry about being too able with a weapon; if you can fight at all, then that is better than nothing." Her anger subsided, the maiden took leave of Lorintal and went to the stables where she found the others talking. Not wanting to interrupt their conversation, Ardinlas took Shadow out of his stall and led him outside. Nodding to Colleril who had follwed her, she mounted her great horse and rode off to scout the layabout of the surrounding forest.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email