Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
Post The Hope of a Shieldmaiden (keep)
on: August 31, 2006 11:30
(O.O.C. This takes place in Edoras during the Fourth Age. This is pretty open, and ideas are welcome. There is an occ for this as well. Please pm me or post in the occ before or after posting.)

Dawn was beginning to break over the city of Edoras, a splendid display of red, pink, and orange splashed vibrantly on the horizon as the folds of night faded away. The air was moist, as was typical of an autumn morn, and the scent of wet leaves filled the senses of those out and about at the time of day. There weren’t many trees around Edoras, but those that were there sported an array of colors on their crowns. Warm umber, wine-red, earthen-brown, and gold were arrayed in endless patterns as the early morning breeze teased the leaves and knocked some of them to the ground. The browning grass was damp with dew, but the promise of a fair day threatened to evaporate it soon enough. Contentment mingled with the hopes of a bountiful harvest were the thoughts of many a hard-working farmer, and the hope of continuous peace was on the minds of the king and his Rohirrim.

The beauty of the coming day wasn’t entirely lost on the maid that was seated on a slope overlooking her house about a half-mile out of Edoras. Her arms around her knees and chin placed on top, the young woman contemplated many things. She inhaled deeply, taking in the scent of loam and of an apple tree that was rooted near her home, laden with its precious fruit. Her dark-brown hair flowed down her back, and her keen emerald-green eyes stared at nothing in particular. Her mouth was silent, but her thoughts were in a turmoil, thrashing and screaming as they raced around her mind. It was a wonder no one could hear them.

-------------------------------------

Díore, as the maid was called, was the daughter of a Rohirric captain, Hasufen. He was older and wise, a fearsome warrior in his time. He had the ability to command his Riders’ attention without too much trouble. A true leader he was indeed. He had been willful to the point of recklessness as a young man so it was little wonder that he wed the headstrong daughter of a noble family from Dol Amroth. Her mother, Awyndel, was just as strong-minded as her father and had the same charismatic ability to encourage people. Díore always thought that they were suited for each other just fine.

Because of their similarities in personality, everyone thought that the child that Awyndel had been heavy with would be the same way, headstrong and unruly. How wrong they had been! Yes, Díore was stubborn, but she was as obedient as her parents could hope for. Now at the age of twenty, the young woman was growing into her prime, and it was hoped that marriage would be a possibility for her. Díore was considered a beauty by most, and so it shouldn’t have been a problem to find a prospective husband for her. However, Díore had no interest in love, only the thought of becoming a warrior, perhaps a shieldmaiden like Lady Éowyn.

----------------------------------

Shieldmaiden. What it would be like to have a title like that. Díore sighed heavily, laying on her back and staring at the sky. All her life she had admired Éowyn, for her skills in battle, for her compassion, and for the drive that led her to go into battle where men thought women had no place. There had been no other female warriors in Edoras since Éowyn had left. Some young women practiced arms, but none that Díore knew wanted to do more. Her father had seen to it that Díore was trained in most weapons, from the bladed weapons like swords, spears, daggers, and the long pikes favored by the Rohirrim, to bows and even hand-to-hand combat. Her best and preferred weapon was the sword, much to the delight of her father.

--------------------------------------

“It is good that you like the weapon that many others choose. That way if you face them in a fight, you will know what to expect,” he had said one day when Díore was about ten. “However, if you know how to wield other weapons, then you can know what they are like if you must deal with them as well.”

Being the young maid that she was, Díore had replied with the innocence of a child. “But Father,” she said, “you have said that since the War has been over, there has been almost no conflict here at all. What use is this training if I can never use it?”

Hasulfen nodded wisely. “You are learning well, Díore, but you must remember that orcs or other manner of defile from Mordor are still out there, ready to spread their poison once more.”

Thinking nothing of it, Díore had grown up without knowing of the taste of battle or blood. Through her father she learned of the different enemies he had fought against, from orcs to the Uruk-hai, from the Easterlings to the Dunlanders. She had jousted with the local stable boys and squires of passing knights. Her skills were tested and honed, and her knowledge of battling grew.

Regardless of her skills, Díore was often mocked when she challenged other men. Understanding that had made her slightly bitter when meeting strangers, and added with her stubbornness, made it hard for her to get along with others and to become close acquaintances with them. Her sharp tongue didn’t help matters much, but the few friends she had were as close to her as would a brother or sister would have been.

------------------------------------------

The sun was beginning to peek over the horizon as the singing of birds welcomed the day. Still lost in thoughts, Díore turned her mind to adventuring. Of course Halsufen wanted her to become a warrior, but that didn’t prevent him from being a parent; he and Awyndel refused to let her journey alone. I am a score of years old, she thought indignantly to herself. It is about time for me to make my own way in the world, and I can do that through journeying. The sound of a trumpet snapped her out of her reverie. A trysting horn, perhaps?

Díore leapt up and rushed toward her home. Awyndel was coming out of the house to gather crops from the garden. “Where are you off to in such a hurry?” Díore’s mother inquired, noting the excited look on her daughter’s delicate face.

“The town,” Díore replied abruptly, running into the barn. Grabbing tack, she made her way into the pasture that lay to the side of the barn. An ebony-black stallion was grazing in it, but his head lifted when he saw Díore. “Durithil!” she called to him, and the stallion’s ears pricked forward to hear her voice. She tacked and mounted him after he cantered up to her. The horn still sounding, Díore rode Durithil out of the gate and galloped him toward Edoras.

As she neared the town, Díore spotted a familiar face heading through the main gate. “Alardin!” she cried, galloping toward him. The man didn’t acknowledge her. “Alardin, you arse, wait!” The man turned, and a smile lit up his handsome face.

“What a nice way to hail me, Díore,” Alardin said as Díore dismounted Durithil.

“What is going on?” she asked hurriedly. “Is it a trysting horn?”

Alardin shook his head. “No, the horn is announcing the return of the king and the prince.” And sure enough, through the open gate, she heard the cries of “King Éomer!” and “Prince Elfwine!”

Cursing softly, she replied, “And here I was hoping for something to brighten my day. Nothing but the arrival of the royal family.” It was well that they were back, but that seemed to be the only interesting thing that happened anymore in Edoras.

Alardin noted the disappointment on his friend’s face. “Come on, Díore,” he said, trying to placate her, “let us go into town and break our fast.” He led her to a small tavern near the castle wall.

And so it always seems that the great adventures start in taverns, Díore thought to herself as they entered the dingy, low-lit tavern. Maybe something will happen today that will get me out of Edoras and onto the road. Alardin and she sat in a corner away from the hustle and bustle of the main chamber. Drunkards were everywhere, and every so often a brawl would ensue, but Díore knew that this one was tame compared to the taverns her father would oft times speak of.

In another corner of the room, a cloaked figure watched Díore with interest, and its eyes narrowed as it tried to remember where it had seen the likes of her before.

[Edited on 8/31/2006 by Dinenlasse]

[Edited on 10/13/2006 by Dinenlasse]

[Edited on 2/7/2007 by Dinenlasse]
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Hope of a Shieldmaiden (keep)
on: September 06, 2006 05:44
Feorran walked into the tavern to celebrate her killing of a small orc patrol single-handedly. True, it had been small, but for a fourteen year old girl she thought of it as quite an achievement.

She sat at the counter, not drinking a drop but laughing politely to the barman's jokes. She looked around the crowded tavern desperately, the men were getting more drunk by the minute and she felt like she was developing an acute fear of drunken men as the time she spent in Edoras passed by.

Then a girl walked in the door with a young man. She looked about twenty, and she sat down in the corner. Feorran's eyes passed over her, as the scanned the tavern for an easy route out.

Some days she wished that she had stayed in her old home and fought with the men instead of fleeing on her father's best horse, though he had told her to go. What she found so embarrassing was that she could not even remember the name, only that it was a small community of travelling horsemen that all supported each other. If only she could return one day, but they would probably all be dead or worse by now.

Suddenly her eyes alighted on a cloaked man watching the same girl that had came in a few minutes ago. When the young man she was with got up and walked to the counter next to her, she got up quickly and offered him her seat. When he accepted, she walked over to the girl's corner. The girl looked strangely at her as Feorran bent over to mutter in her ear.

"There is a man over there, yes, the cloaked one, and he has been watching you since you came in. He has a sword under that cloak, I can see the metal glinting. You are not safe here. He looks as if he recognises you, I do not know whether that is a good sign or no. It would do you good to get out of this reeking place as well," she whispered.

The girl said to Feorran, "I know," under her breath. "I'm Díore."

"Feorran, Horse Sister," replied Feorran. " Come on!"

Díore stayed in her seat. " Where are you from, to have such an unusual title?"

The cloaked man stood up and took a step towards them. "I'll tell you later," promised Feorran. With that, she grabbed Díore's wrist, and though she was a lot younger than Díore she managed to get hjer out of the door just as the man drew his sword.

Feorran's horse, Hafoc, was outside the door. She leaped onto his back and Díore got up behind her.

"We'll find your man friend later," Feorran said to Díore and spurred Hafoc on.

[Edited on 6/9/2006 by bow_and_arrow]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 07, 2006 03:50
Díore clutched Feorran’s waist as they galloped out of the city. “I have a horse near here,” she gasped, the wind tossing her hair around. “Turn yours slightly west.” The rider did so, and Díore shouted loudly, “Durithil! Here!” The huge stallion put up his head from grazing and galloped to match strides with Feorran’s horse as he heard his mistress’ summons.

Díore waited until Durithil was abreast of Feorran’s horse, and she leaped from his back onto Durithil’s, a trick her father had taught her at an early age. She landed hard on his back, and taking the reins in both hands, she steadied him into a slow gallop. Both of them heard a pounding of hooves pursuing them. Díore wheeled Durithil around and saw Alardin riding hard towards them.

He halted as he neared them. His breath heavy, he said in a raspy voice, “Why did you rush out of here like a mad one?” he asked Díore, his blue eyes full of concern.

Díore faced him. “There was one there who took sword to us, and we left in a hurry. He meant us harm, I’m sure of it.”

Alardin’s face paled. “But how? There is peace here. Why would anyone want to disturb it? Maybe he didn’t mean you ill, maybe he wanted something else.”

The daughter of Hasulfen bowed her head. “I don’t know, but Feorran here pulled me out of the tavern, so maybe she saw something I didn’t.” Not wanting to believe it, she turned to Feorran, who had ridden up beside her. “What is the reason for us leaving? Do you know the man?” Durithil’s ears pricked up as he heard the sounds of the Rohirrim riding out. Díore, Feorran, and Alardin turned their heads to watch the cavalcade ride out at a canter, the horses’ and riders’ armour glinting in the sun. King Éomer was at their head, his great plumed helm standing out like a beacon against the sky.

Alardin’s eyes followed them as he addressed the maids. “Now where do you think they are going?”
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2006 05:34
Feorran was daunted at the two older people, she felt very young and vulnerable. Secretly she was unimpressed at Díore's stunt, she had been leaping from horse to horse before she could walk, but she stayed silent as she watched King Éomer cantered away.

First she turned to Alardin. "I do not know where they are going, but it must be some urgent call for King Éomer to accompany the soldiers."

Then to Díore she added, "And I do know the man. I know he means you no good, but I shall not tell you of him yet. How can I trust you if you have inspired his wrath? He does not turn on someone lightly."

Feorran remained silent as she collected her thoughts together. "Mayhap we should follow the King, Hafoc and I have been aching for war for a while now, but the men would not want a young girl in their troops. I shall follow, whether you come or not should be your choice. Are you ready to die?"

Hafoc reared and twisted round to face the fading soldiers. Feorran was still wearing her armour from the encounter with the orcs, as was Hafoc. She briefly counted the arrows in her quiver and checked her sword was not nicked or dented. Contented, she put on her helmet, and galloped away towards the soldiers.

Suddenly she stopped. "Are you coming or no?" she shouted.
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2006 11:35
Ciron, was 14, and he had watched the two girls come rushing out the tavern. His sense of boyish adventure had cam over him and he followed them as would a spy on a secret mission in territory. He would always pretend to spy, and he had become good at it, keeping to the deepest shadows and the darkest corners.He watched the stand together and dispute something hurriedly, then ride off on horses. He quickly ran after them and eventually caught up with them as they stopped to watch the king go past. He wondered what these two were up to, and then as he turned to look round he saw a huge dark cloaked man creeping round, staring straight at the two. Therfore he moved closer to the horses and dissapeared amongst the crown.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2006 12:40
Geongan gently brushed her horse. She hadn't riden Darkfire for a while. She had been busy tending her injured father. He had been injured during a battle against some wildmen.Geongan herself was an accomplished shieldmaiden, but her father never wanted her to fight, although she had on several occastions. Her mother told her to have some fun today, since she had been so much help. She saddled Darkfire and jumped on. She rode out towards the fields and thats when she saw two maidens riding swiftly. "I wonder what they are doing? Come on Darkfire lets find out." Geongan said as she kicked him. Soon Geongan was close enough to call to them. "What are you doing?" Geongan called, but she could tell they hadn't heard her. Her sea green eyes caught sight of a stallion racing over to the maidens. "One of them must have lost their horse." Geongan thought. Her golden hair flew in fornt of her face. She rode away from the maidens, they seemed to have everything under control.

[Edited on 8/9/2006 by ElfmaidenofLorien]
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2006 08:34
Feorran waited for a reply from Alardin and Díore, but it was obvious one wasn't coming. She scanned the surrounding area for someone to come with her, she did not want to go alone. Then she saw the cloaked man in the crowd, and her heart skipped a beat.

She galloped back to Díore. "Díore, the same man is there, the cloaked one, you must get out of here now before he makes his move, and trust me he will," she whispered urgently so only Díore could hear.

Díore looked panicked and started to look around the crowd. Then Feorran caught sight of one her own age, a boy, and he was looking straight at her. She flinched from his glance but her eyes never left his.

To reassure herself, she put her hand on the hilt of her sword, but the boy never looked away and neither did she.

[Edited on 9/9/2006 by bow_and_arrow]
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2006 11:09
The dark hooded man realised that Feorran was now with Diore and so he began to draw his sword against her as she was not looking his way, but he was stopped when a boy stood in front of him with a sword in his hand.
"Go" Ciron shouted to the girl and he didnt know why but he blocked the strange mans way, so that he couldnt get past him to the two maidens.Their swords began to clash but Ciron was not good at sword fighting, of archery at that, he was only good at being hidden and secret. The man soon pushed Ciron out of the way but the maidens had gone and he no longer could see them. He turned on the boy in rage, but he had dissapeared.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2006 02:45
(We are in Edoras right?)
Geongan had finished her ride and was going to see if her mother needed any help. Then two maidens bumped into her. "You two should watch where you're going." Geongan said, then she saw the panic on their faces."Whats wrong maidens?" Geongan asked. Then she saw over the crowb a hooded man, his hand was on the hilt of his sword. Geongan began to understand, though she wanted a clear explation. "I can help you get away, where are you heading?" Geongan asked, she stood in fornt of them so the man wouldn't see them. "I know a goos place where we can talk, come with me." Geongan said.

She took them to a quiet place behind some houses. "If you are planning to run, I can lead you as far as you need." Geongan said. Then she heard something behind her, the cloaked man had found them. "Run maidens! I'll take care of him." Geongan said. She didn't usually carry her sword, but after hearing about the maidens trouble she picked it up. "Why do you want them?" Geongan asked as she parried, her voiced sounded rough. The man did not replie. "You will never catch them!" Geongan said as she trushed, but it was blocked and she almost fell back. She regained her balance and fought with rage. Then somehow he fell to the ground. Geongan held her sword at his throat. "I don't want to kill you, but I don't want the maidens hurt." Geongan said, but the man somehow pushed her back and made his escape, but he did get a few scars. Geongan thought she should go with the maidens, she didn't know why they were being chased, but she knew she had to help.

(If I messed up just tell me, I can edit.)
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2006 05:41
When they had reached safety, Feorran patted her horse and whispered in his ear. He nickered like he understood. Díore and Alardin were breathless from the ride. Then Geogan came up to them. "He got away," she said, "but he'll have plenty of scars to show for it." Feorran smiled at her gratefully.

She slipped under Hafoc's belly and picked up a stone. Then she wet it with water from the skin that she kept on her belt, and started to smooth out any nicks in her sword. She did it like a ritual, to calm the thoughts that were charging through her head and ricocheting off each other.

Then she remembered the boy in the crowd. "Has anyone seen the boy? Is he alright, do you think?" Something moved in the shadows at arms length away from her. She dropped the stone, sheathed her sword silently, and with the speed of a striking snake she shot out an arm and grabbed the person by the clothes at his neck.

"It's Ciron!" he said, struggling. Feorran recognised the boy from the crowd. She put him down quickly and apologised.

"How did you know that he was looking for Díore?" she asked him. "I thought I was the only one who knows who he is."
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2006 08:35
"p, please maiden , im not good with swords, please dont hurt me. As for the man, well ill just say that i see more than you would think" Ciron spluttered

They all looked at him trying to calculate this boy into their minds.

"please dont hurt me, i can help you, i can look for the man... if you want"

And Ciron scanned all their faces trying to tell what they were all thinking but he coundnt dee through their stern glances.

"Ill help, promise, Ill do anything you want, just please dont hurt me"
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2006 05:17
Feorran thought for a moment and then lifted Ciron up onto Hafoc in front of her. Although they were the same age Feorran was strong, and once he was steady she said to him, "Tell us what to do, or where to go now. The cloaked man will not be far from finding a trail, we must get moving. Edoras is no longer safe."

She would not let Ciron take the reins, instead he pointed in a rough direction, and Díore, Alardin and Geongan followed.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2006 07:30
As they rode Geongan looked at the boy. She could feel that he was afraid, but she didn't feel anything evil about him. They rode out as the sun began to set. Geongan was in the back of the group so she could keep an eye out for any followers, being 17 she was one of the youngest but she considered herself well skilled for her age.

Later that night they had to stop and make camp. "You had better go to sleep now Diore, we have a long road in front of us." Geongan said. Everyone else had fallen asleep, Geongan was on guard duty. After she saw Diore to her make shift bed she went back to her post.
Geongan stood, her hour on guard had passed and now she had to rouse Feorran. Before she turned though, she saw a shadow race by. Geongan looked back and stared into the darkness. She didn't see anything, but she knew someone was here. Geongan slipped over to Feorran, she didn't want to wake the others until she knew the person in the forest was evil. "Feorran, someone is in the forest, I just saw a shadow slip by." Geongan whispered. Feorran sat up and looked out. "You stay here with the camp and I'll go out and search. If anything happens call for me." Geongan said as she grabbed her bow and quiver and left.

[Edited on 13/9/2006 by ElfmaidenofLorien]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 12, 2006 10:28
(Díore is twenty btw, and if Alardin is still with them, he is a year older than her. making them the eldest. And I wasn't aware that we were by a forest...if we are, that is ok.)

Díore rested until she heard the sound of something in the woods. She opened her eyes, stood in the shadows of the trees, and watched Geongan steal off. Her instincts were alert, but she kept her weapons sheathed; there was no point in angering the figure if it was a friend. She glanced at Feorran and said, "The horses will let us know if someone is here also. They will know if something is here before we know." Her voice lowered in frustration. "And as you know something about that man, I want you to tell me all."

Alardin stole up behind her and took her hand. "Díore," he whispered, "I am going back to Edoras to help your father with the group. Come and see me when your adventures are done." He mounted his horse and rode off silently through the woods.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2006 05:41
Feorran and Díore moved slightly away from their camp so that they could speak privately. "You see, I know him from when - " she was cut off as Hafoc neighed. She looked into the forest, hand on the hilt of her sword. She waited a few minutes but nothing stirred.

"As I was saying, I knew him when I was - " Feorran screamed, but a hand clamped over her mouth and another held her hands behind her back, stopping her from using her weapons. The figure hit her over the head with a hard object, and she went limp as it dragged her into the thick cover of the trees.

[Edited on 13/9/2006 by bow_and_arrow]
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: September 14, 2006 10:30
In a shadow-wreathed tree Eorla snapped awake as a scream pierced the night. Screams were never a good sign. Especially at night. The Rohirric slipped out from beneath the cloak wrapped around herself and unpicketed her mare Rogue. "Sorry ," she whispered, "just need to check something." She swung onto the horse's smooth back and made her way thru the trees.

A crunch, then a dragging sound made her stop, and she held back a gasp. A dark man dragged something that was obviously of some weight and in the shape of a human. Eorla spurred Rogue into a lope (a dangerous thing at night in the woods) and directed the mare to bodyslam the man. The man grunted, letting go of his burden, and Eorla grabbed the human shape. The sudden jolt yanked her from her seat, and she hit the ground with a loud thump.

[Edited on 14/9/2006 by Shadowfax_Pip]
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2006 11:25
(o,k im a little confused at the moment but im thinking that ciron is now the only person left at camp, if im wrong please do correct me)

Ciron woke up at the same time as Eorla, but he had practiced the art of waking up with his eyes shut and did so. He heard Eorla go off and then the fight in the distance. He knew that he couldnt help anyone with a sword so he ran almot silently into the direction of the fight.
He climbed slowly up a tree and began to make loud hooting owl sounds, and the man below looked around startled and this gave the two maidens a chance to get up. Slowly he looked around the tree for acorns ( i couldnt think of anything else)to throw at the man.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 14, 2006 11:28
Díore followed the sound of dragging and saw a mounted figure run its horse into the man. He dropped Feorran, and fell. Rushing over to Feorran, Díore knelt down and felt the back of the younger girl's head. There was a good-sized lump on it, and it would hurt once she woke up. "Durithil!" she cried softly, and the black horse whinnied and followed her voice. He came to her and put down his head to investigate Feorran. Lifting the girl onto his back, she said to him, "Get her back to camp and alert the others." Leaving her horse to trot off, Díore went to see what she could do to help the newcomer.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2006 04:25
Geongan had been searching the forest when she heard the scream. "Oh no!" Geongan gasped. She ran as fast as she could and suddenly a figure jumped out in front of her and grabbed her. "Let me go!" Geongan shouted as she punched the mans chest. The man began dragging her along, but Geongan tried to resist but the man was too strong. "Who are you!" Geongan said. The man didn't answer, but he didn't look like a wildman or any enemy of Rohan so why was he attacking them? When they came to a clearing he threw her on the ground. "What are you going to do with me?" Geongan asked, she was trying not to look afraid, but inside she was trembling. "I don't know, it depends on what my leader wants." The man said. Then suddenly another man came into view, he must have been his leader. Geongan looked with scorn upon the man, she was just angry now, no fear. "I tryed to get another girl, but some others saw me. What did you get here?" The leader asked. "I caught her running in the forest, I think she's one of the travellers." The man said. Geongan's mind raced, what did they want with her?

(ummm, I don't know exactly what they want, but maybe they could be working for the man that was trying to get Diore and they want to find out where she is or something, otherwise Diore and the others could rescue Geongan before they find out the reason the men are even there.)
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2006 05:16
Feorrran fought the waves of pain crashing over her and struggled into a half-sitting position. Her head was pounding like a drum being struck by a cave troll. Multicolured spots danced before her eyes and she registered someone bending over her before slipping back into unconciousness.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: September 15, 2006 06:29
After hitting the ground, Eorla had leaped back on her feet as quickly as possible. however, her breath had been blasted out of her lungs and she gasped for air. The man Rogue had slammed was on his feet again, and seemed to be trotting away.

Eorla grabbed Rogue's lead (the mare had stopped a short distance away) and turned to see another maiden behind her. "Augh!" she yelped. "Where'd you come from? Where's the other human?"

"She's safe. Are you all right?" the maiden asked. Eorla rolled her eyes and replied, "I'm fine. I've hurt myself a lot worse than that, believe you me." Looking the maiden up and down Eorla asked, "Why are you in the woods in the middle of the night, anyway?"

((hope I'm following this okay. I'll post again tomorrow))
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2006 08:05
Ciron gently climbed down the tree and watched the two maidens talking.

(I hope im in the right place here, this is really confusing :rolling: )

THey bothed looked at him in surprise and before they got to say anything Ciron said in slight embarrasment
"The owl noises, that was me", he still held the acorns in his hand," i got these to throw at him but hes gone".

The a wave of strangeness came upon them and it suddenly dawned on them that they were in the middle of a dark woods and only the sounds of shuffling animals to tell them that they were not lost from the world.
"Well, what do we do now, I think the man went that way"and Ciron pointed into the deep blackness of the woods.The only light piercing it was the distant light of the faded moon.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2006 08:29
((:rolling: . If you mean the Feorran and Diore, Irmo, then you are definitely in the wrong place! At the moment, Geongan's been kidnapped, Feorran's unconcious, Diore's doing what she can to help, and Eorla's just asked someone a question. That's a brief update for you!))

Feorran groaned and this time decided she wasn't going to try to sit up, it hurt too much. She gingerly felt the back of her head - there was a fair-sized lump. Suddenly, she felt a wave of nausea and leant over to retch.
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2006 11:58
(O.k i guess im with eorla then, but who she is with i dont have a clue. ill keep watching the posts untill i write again as im really quite :twitch: congfused now. )

bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 16, 2006 02:10
((Okay Irmo))

Once Feorran had emptied the contents of her stomach she lay back again, feeling annoyingly weak and helpless. Her head was still pounding and she fell into a fitful sleep.

Feorran rushed out of the tent at past midnight to find all the women and children screaming and running to and fro. A crowd of people with torches were coming over the hill, drawing closer and closer. The men were strapping on armour, putting on helmets and mounting horses. One man galloped up to her. His face was obscured by his helmet but from what she could see she could tell it was her father. "Feorran!" he ssaid breathlessly. "Take this armour, put it on, and, also, wear this sword. It was your mother's, wield it with pride and remember us. Now go to the stables, and get Hafoc. Ride away and never come back. Promise me you'll not return." Feorran was silent as tears coursed down her cheeks. The man leaned towards her. "Promise me!" he roared. Feorran only nodded, reached out and took the bundle. Then she ran to the stables as the panic increased.

She looked back on the burning tents and screams of the people she knew slaughtered. She cried, watching the devastation. She was only nine then, and she did not understand. Suddenly, a man saw her and started to run at her, brandishing a sword and a burning torch. She looked one last time on her burning home, and then turned and galloped away, crying and howling in anguish.

She woke up with a cry and sat up, forgetting her pain for a second, before collapsing back down and crying herself back to sleep.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: September 16, 2006 04:32
((sorry to confuzzle you Irmo. Eorla is a person in the woods at night, no relation to the people in the story except that she saved Feorran from kidnapping. You should see her background in the character database. As for posting, I'v got to wait for Dior to answer before posting again ))

ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2006 11:44
Geongan sat, waiting to find out what these men wanted. They spoke to each other in whisperes so she knew not what they were planning. Geongan looked around the camp, if she could find a sword she might be able to get out. She spied one, but it was on the otherside of the clearing. Maybe she could slip over, she had skills many men did not have. She slipped across silently, but just as she was about to pick up the sword the man turned. "Hey you! Stop!" The man shouted. But it was too late, Geongan lifted the sword and pointed it at them. "Don't coma any closer or I shall attack." Geongan said, holding her sword steadily. The two men backed away and this gave Geongan the chance to get away. She whistled for her horse and he came running. She mounted and rode off.
Geongan laughed quietly, she had gotten away and she still held her secret. She never told anyone her secret because her father made her promise that she would hold the secret on the day he died. Geongan was half-elven, her mother had been an elf. Her mother had died when she was young and had never known what had happened, something happened to mother, father said that some people thought her mother was an elven witch and they became afraid of her but thats all she was told. Of course that didn't happen in Edoras. They had lived in another place before Edoras, Geongan couldn't remember it. All her memories of that place were nightmares. One night people holding firery torches came to their door. Geongan could remember people shouting, tears stung her eyes. Then she was brought back to reality by the sound of a familiar voice. It was Diore. "Is Feorran alright?" Geongan asked as she dismounted.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 18, 2006 07:44
(I am very confused as well, but I will try to make it work.)

Díore looked at the newcomer. "We are traveling, but it seems one of my companions has gone missing." She heard Geongan's hoarse voice. "I know not about Feorran, but we will soon find out." Díore stood and told the others, "Stay here with Feorran. I am going to try to find out what is going on." And silent as a leaf, Díore crept into the wood and set about finding the man's camp and seeing if she could gauge any information from him or someone else.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: September 18, 2006 08:53
((sorry guys, I feel like my character's appearance has unbalanced things. I'll try to keep that from happening anymore))

Eorla watched Diore leave, then glanced at the others. "Have I interrupted anything?" she asked. The on the horse replied, "Yes, and it's a good thing you did." The on the ground moaned, ing everyone's attention. Eorla clucked at Rogue, catching the mare's attention, and said, "She needs medical attention. I can find someone if you don't mind." She nodded at the on the horse, who seemed to be second in command (figuratively).
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2006 10:02
(I'm guessing the girl on the horse is supposed to be me?)

Geongan nodded at the girl. "Some help would be appreciated." Geongan said. Geongan knelt beside Feorran. "Now I wish I had learned those healing skills from Mother." Geongan whispered, she knew only a little about the healing herbs.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: September 18, 2006 10:22
Folks,

Might I suggest you open an OOC thread before you go any further and discuss who's who and who's where doing what. We moderators read all these posts daily (sometimes more than once a day) and frankly, we can't even figure out where you are (are you even in Middle Earth??) or who's doing what where.

Give an OOC thread a shot and see if that doesn't help straighten things out.

BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 19, 2006 04:38
Everyone...please check out the ooc thread for this...we need to straighten things out!!!
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2006 06:01
((OOC - been on the OOC thread and posted, I'm posting with another bit of the story now, if I mess up tell me!))

Feorran opened her eyes and saw Geongan bending over her. "Geongan, it hurts so much," she whimpered, feeling the weight of being the youngest but being the only one who really knew why the man was after them. Geongan just made soothing nises as she tended to the younger girl's wound.

Soon Feorran was feeling more comfortable, but the pain had not lessened though it was pushed to the back of her mind. She tried to sit up, but again the world tilted and the colours blurred before her eyes. Then she remembered Hafoc, who she had not seen for too long for her comfort. Suddenly she felt a reassuring presence at her side, and Geongan let go of the reins as Hafoc plucked at her sleeve with his lips. He nickered softly in her ear, and she slipped back into an uneasy sleep.
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2006 08:54
Ciron had walked briskly into the woods to find the others and whoever was behind him had lost him, and it was not untill a while had passed before Ciron had realised he was on his own.

He started to break into a run, and for a couple of minutes stumbled his way through the dark forest. All ot once the forest broke away to a cliff edge and beyond, over black fields some shining lights twinkled through the night. Ciron longed to be back in edoras, but thew forest offered a sense of adventure, even if it was frightfully scary. He dicided that with strange men about the place it would be safer to rest above ground, so he slowly made his way up a tree and stayed there for a while, hearing no noises of the night, or of his friends.:cry:
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2006 03:14
"I think you'll be alright Feorran. It will hurt for awhile, but the pain should subside." Geongan said. Then she stood and stroked the smoothe fur of Hafoc. "You have an amazing horse." Geongan said, she wanted to speak with him, but she would give away her half elven side. Geongan looked around, she hoped the maiden would come back with help soon. Then Geongan's thoughts wandered. She wished she could tell someone about her secret. She wanted a friend to share that with. She sometimes wondered if she would even be able to tell her husband when she got married, if she got married. Suddenly she was brought out of her thoughts by a voice. it was the maiden that had gone for help. "Good you're back." Geongan said.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email