Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Emma_Leigh
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Twilight
on: September 02, 2008 11:23
Hehe this is only my second post but it seems natural to post here seeing as how Twilight is my current love (in terms of fandom). I've read all four books and I'm eagerly awaiting the film- I'll still support it even if it completely sucks, I'm just happy we're getting a film at all!

My favourite character is Edward (is that a surprise, really? heh) and I am not, unfortunately, much of a Jacob fan... at all because something about him just bugs me a little. However, after the fourth book, I can understand him a bit more though I'm still not hugely fond of him. As to the fourth book in general, I actually liked it and I know lots of fans were hating it, but it's Stephenie's work and she did say herself that some people were going to not like it and be disappointed. I still feel the need to respect it, if you understand me? My favourite of the series is still Twilight (only marginally I must say), the 'original is still the best' and all that jazz.

Overall, in my opinion, vampires beat werewolves any day so I'm a little bit biased when talking about these books... Team Cullen all the way! hehe.

[Edited on 2/9/2008 by Emma_Leigh]
Wilwarin_Star
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2008 10:05
yayyyyy! i <3 twilight. :love: two of my friends and i r going 2 see it opening day we're all making shirts and sorta dressing up as the characters. we all look sorta like our chrarcters. me-bella, deana-alice, katie-rosalie. who else is gonna go see the movie?
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: November 15, 2008 02:07
I'm seeing it with my two bffs.
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2008 03:25
Hate to rain on everyone's party, but I thought Breaking Dawn was just a little out there. I mean, I see her point in bringing out the final conflict between the vampires, but it was just a little odd. And Renesmee...what a name. Poor kid. lol. Anyways, there's going to be another book? What's left for writing about? I suppose we'll all find out, eh?
frodofan14
Send Message
on: November 16, 2008 03:51
What is there left to write about? Are you kidding me?
Jacob/Renesmee/what's his name, Nahuel or something.
Sam/Emily, maybe?
Background on the Voltrui; the wives? Why is Marcus so bored?
horsey_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2008 10:53
Yeah!! I would write loads, but I have to go...let me just say that I LOVE THE TWILIGHT SERIES SO MUCH!!!!!:heart::love::heart::love::heart:
I love :heart:Edward:heart:, Jacob, Jasper, Emmett, Carlisle (James is seriously hot in the film as well!), Seth, everyone else I've forgotten,:heart::love::heart::love::heart: and I'm SO jealous of Bella!!

It's soooo unfair, I have to wait until the 19TH DECEMBER to see it! You don't understand the pain... At least the holidays start then too...Seriously though, Stephenie said somewhere that we should all bring brown paper bags to breathe into, and I am seriously considering taking her up on that, because I can promise you all, I will need it! Note to self: must remember to dress up! Not madly, just enough to feel really cool I shall be Bella, I think...I'm quite similar anyway, so won't actually have to do that much...

Love you fellow Twilighters!!! xxxxx
frodofan14
Send Message
on: November 21, 2008 05:30
SPOILERS FOR THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway.

So... Edward= not hot, Bella... er... no offense, but like, no. It was really funny in some parts just because of the sketchiness (I like to watch you while you sleep) and when Edward was driving by Billy. Sketchy!!!! Jasper had like 2 lines :cry: and Alice was pretty lame.
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2008 03:21
Oh, joy. It will be interesting.

So one of my friends was supposed to get two advanced tickets to the movie and they gave her both ends of one ticket. So she had to go and stand in line again to get another ticket. She was pretty mad.
frodofan14
Send Message
on: November 22, 2008 05:13
We got there nearly an hour early to make sure we'd get tickets...
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2008 05:56
The movie is never like the book...never. The book is always better. Rob Pattinson will never be Cedric in my mind again. He is Edward. Even though some, many, things were different or not explored as much it's all part of deciding what moves the story most. That's why we re-read the books we love. I totally loved the movie. I was prepared to like it, and I was pleased that I was not disappointed. I do hope they explore Alice's character some more in New Moon and eventually Eclipse. I think Alice is one of the best parts of the books.
I think Kristen and Rob did a good job and I was more than pleased with Carlisle and Esme whom didn't look at all as I'd pictured them. Emmett will be fun and the girl who plays Rosalie is perfectly "witchy". Can't use the other word on a respectable site. She's great and beautiful. Jasper was a bit stiff. He appeared to be afraid of slipping up every second of the film but I expect that's the way it was meant to look.

Anyway, I loved the movie and I will forever love the books.
BTW-Victoria, James and Laurent were fabulous as well as Jacob, Billy and Charlie. It will be interesting to see how the Quiliute/Vampire thing develops on film.

[Edited on 24/11/2008 by brandywine]
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2008 04:20
It's always encouraging to hear positive feedback on these kinds of things. I suppose I'll hear more about it at school tomorrow...joyous occasion. I'll see it eventually...
Wilwarin_Star
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2008 04:25
Jasper actually had three lines in the movie, and the cover for breaking dawn symbolizes Bella being the weakest character in the series (the pawn), to becoming the most powerful (the queen). I like the name Reneesme... it sort of grows on you... if you don't like the name, what would you name the most unique baby in the world (except for the Brazilian guy and his sisters). so who liked the sound track? I'm listening to it right now and it is sooo good.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: December 11, 2008 01:09
Reading back on this thread, I can tell that I'm probably the only person who dislikes Twilight. *sweatdrop* I'm not here to rain on anyone's parade or start bashing people who like the Twilight series, but...to be honest, I tried reading the first book. I got to chapter 2 and couldn't get any further because

(1) Bella is so incredibly shallow I hardly have words to describe it, (2) the endless griping about Raines was REALLY getting on my nerves, (3) Edward seems more creepy than 'romantic', (4) the writing was so simplistic and 'easy' that it just put me off. It just did. Another reason for disliking it would be its current popularity--I usually shy away from 'popular' stuff (which is why I'm not much of a Harry Potter fan either).

Now, another thing: the people who like Twilight usually don't get past 'ohmigosh this is the best thing in the world!!!!11! edward is so hoott!1!!' And, to be honest, that doesn't really appeal to me whether a character is 'hot' or not (although I am not perfect, I do tend to notice handsome or beautiful people/characters myself). So I have some questions: other than Edward and vampires, what is so great about the series? What is fundamentally going to help it survive past its heyday of being published? Why is it so popular?
AlectoOfJudo
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2008 03:30
I like Twilight, but I'm not a very "hardcore fan." I definitely didn't fall for Edward; the guy I pictured when I read the book wasn't really my type. And I do find it slightly annoying that Bella always insists that he is absolutely flawless. But on the other hand, I always was hoping that it would be Edward that she ended up with, and that in the end she would become a vampire.

You can't take vampires out of the equation, because they the major source of conflict, and it is that conflict that makes it interesting.

I actually know someone whose name is Steph Meyer. Well, I don't know her well; her brother was in my class, and she's like three years younger than me. I saw a picture of one of the books at the library, and I was, "Wait a minute.... Steph? Steph wrote a book?"
LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
on: December 11, 2008 11:51
No matter if you love Twilight or don't... this thread is for the discussion of it. Books and movie alike. It is not only for hardcore lovers nor is it a hater's forum. It is simply a thread for discussing why you did or why you didn't like the books or movie. Please keep that in mind as you read and respond to other posts...
Wilwarin_Star
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2008 05:15
Point. Excuse my behavior. It's kinda inconceivable to me that some one doesn't like twilight, seeing as i hang out with other people that like twilight. I apologize for ranting and accusing of ranting. :blush: Forgiven? :love:
LadyCeleborn
Send Message
on: December 12, 2008 07:52
Absolutely....

I'm going to see this movie tonight. I've I read the first 2 books and will start the 3rd today. I've liked them so far...
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: December 12, 2008 08:14
I see. But merely loving Twilight doesn't exactly answer my question--I honestly would like to know what people find so attractive about the book(s). I really can't see it at this point. Why has the fanbase grown expodentially with each book? What do people love so much about it?

(Was I ranting earlier? I apologize if it appeared that way.)
Wilwarin_Star
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2008 03:01
Enjoy the movie, LadyCeleborn!
Anyway, people like twilight... well, i think that everyone has a type of book that they absolutely adore. i enjoy easy reading, and a slight tint of romance with the most amazing characters. i can sorta relate to the characters... but i also don't know why i like the books i liked the books so much, i'm in the process of re-reading them:love: :disco: where are you in eclipse, LadyCeleborn? (and Shadowfax_Pip, you weren't ranting, that was just me )
frodofan14
Send Message
on: December 14, 2008 07:10
I see. But merely loving Twilight doesn't exactly answer my question--I honestly would like to know what people find so attractive about the book(s). I really can't see it at this point. Why has the fanbase grown expodentially with each book? What do people love so much about it?

(Was I ranting earlier? I apologize if it appeared that way.)

People love vampires. At least, the way Stephanie describes them. People love love stories. Specially about teenagers. Vamps + teenagers + romance + action = large fanbase
Wilwarin_Star
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2008 08:16
Exactly!!!!! Great work! :cheers: I couldn't think of anything, except for "I <3 Twilight" :heart: :love:
frodofan14
Send Message
on: December 14, 2008 01:59
Thank you :blush:
Wilwarin_Star
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2008 05:48
Back to the Twilight series. I heard through the grapevine the Benjamin Barnes (the one who played Prince Caspian in the movie, Prince Caspian) has been cast for the role of Aro in New Moon!!!!!:love: :disco: :rolling: :cheers: I think he is gong to be a wonderful Aro:love: What about Jane, though. I'm slightly ashamed to say I would like to posses her power. Some one else might be playing the role of Jacob though:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I found that out in art class, where there are many breakables. Needless to say, one of my good friends all but had to restrain me from throwing the book (yes, I was reading Eclipse:love: in art class :nono: ;my teacher wasn't too fond of that ) Anyways, I am very excited to see New Moon when it comes out in the States How 'bout everyone else? My other Twilight crazy friends also convinced our science teacher (along with our art teacher) to read the series. She's just finishing up Breaking Dawn. It was a given that my two fan-friends (along with myself) were quite pleased with ourselves
LadyCeleborn
Send Message
on: January 17, 2009 03:34
I'm going to start Breaking Dawn today. I really liked Eclipse. Stayed up until 4 am to finish it...

And I saw the movie last week which I also enjoyed. The only thing I did have issue with is the 'sparkling' bit. Even after reading it in the book I wasn't quite prepared to 'see' it in the movie. In my mind vampires just don't sparkle...LOL That's probably just ingrained in me because every book I've ever read that had vampires...well, they didn't sparkle...

By the way...Twilight comes out on DVD March 21st... :disco:
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2009 07:55
The comments about why the Twilight Saga is so popular have been very good and right on the nose. I'd like to add that as a teacher, who works with a bunch of teacher Twilighters, I think that Stephenie's writing is just very good.
She writes to every person in the audience. The words are well chosen and her book titles are like clues. She really gets into the heads of the characters. If you have been on her website and read her start for Midnight Sun you can see how she captures what Edward is thinking and feeling.
Another thing I find particularly good about Twilight's vampires is there inherent sense to want to be good even though it is against their nature. I think that is a thme that speaks to all of us *humans*. We all want to be good but have a hardtime, occasionally with wanting to be spiteful or covetous or just plain cranky. I like Stephanie's writing.
Right now I am reading a book in preparation for a class I have to teach a portion of to my colleagues but as soon as that is done I am going to be reading The Host.
Brandywine
(who wouldn't mind being bitten by Edward)
AlectoOfJudo
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2009 02:15
The Host ... I really like that one. I ought to reread it sometime. I think I might like it better than the Twilight books.
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2009 08:03
I finished reading The Last Lecture by the late Randy Pausch which for my class. I am thinking in the back of my mind for ideas to present my section of the book but felt I'd freed up enough of my brain to read The Host. It's not at all a genre I prefer, or even like but Stephenie Meyer's writing is so good that I am totally into the book after 3 chapters. You have to read it. I'm excited that I also have it on my iPod so I can listen at the same time.
Brandywine
Wilwarin_Star
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2009 05:00
I think that the Host was really good, even though it was written for adults. They also just casted for Caius. It's somewhere on the internet probably. Did any one do anything crazy/ spectacular for the Twilight premiere?
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2009 05:31
For the Twilight premeire-nothing really. When the movie opened in our community I went to the 12:30 p.m. Saturday show and then again to the 3:45 p.m. show. I wore my "bite me" shirt from the Official Edward Cullen Fan Club that I got from Twilight Teez. That's the site that's linked to Stephenie Meyers' site. I also bought and downloaded the CD to my iPod. Super Massive Black Hole is my favorite song. I love the energy. Let not anyone say that 50 year old women are not cool! I love Twilight and the music and I am 50 for awhile longer anyway.
LadyCeleborn
Send Message
on: January 23, 2009 07:07
I finished Breaking Dawn this morning. I couldn't put the book down. I absolutely loved it...:love: It is my favorite of the series. I don't think I can stand the wait for this book to become a movie...

At one point I thought Jacob the most annoying creature ever. But he is such an important part of the story that he couldn't stay that way. He had to become so much more. I think I knew in the back of my mind that he would have some connection with Nessie.

Does anyone remember what the 5th book was called? I remember reading about it and why S. Meyer put it on hold because of the internet leak. But for the life of me can not remember what it was called.
longbe4thesun
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2009 09:35
Midnight Sun
Wilwarin_Star
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2009 02:14
Yes. the draft/story sounded very good. You might have also heard that Dakota Fanning was casted for the role of Jane. Rumors. Who would be a good Jane though? I haven't an inkling, but what about the other characters? Anyone have any well... not suggestions, but you know what I mean
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2009 07:37
I've heard some rumors. I think whoever they get to play the Italian trio needs to really be able to pull it off. Marcus has to look bored, Caius irritating and Aro superior in a schmmoozy way. I also think they look somewhat old and thin like paper. Papery and worn. Perhaps vampires do have a life span? Maybe they just wear out and turn to dust. That's the impression I get. Dakota Fanning would be good as Jane. I can't wait to see her in the new movie she's got coming out. Can't remember the name of it.
Wilwarin_Star
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2009 03:58
Well, I guess she would be a good jane, now that I think about it. If you go on twilighters.org, than they have lots of news about Twilight=) And brandywine, you're right about the trio. (I think in one of the books it said Aro, Marcus, and Caius were the Volturi, and people such as Alec and Jane were in the Guard :heart: the Guard )

[Edited on 27/1/2009 by Wilwarin_Star]
Miluiel93
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2009 05:28
The more I read the books, the more I like Jacob - he's flawed, but he is really in love with Bella. In the beginning, I was all Edward, but now, not so much...
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email