Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
iarfalaswen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Where ya from?
on: January 05, 2003 06:38
It's really cool you guys have snow, unlike me, living in Singapore can me a pain sometimes. :cry: Hot and humid weather, a concrete cosmopolitan jungle is what Singapore's mostly about.

You should try London in the middle of summer!. Electric fans have all conked out, no air-conditioning. Dehydration over comes all as soon as you step in the building. And i only went in there cos i was desperate for the loo :cry:!!!! i don't live in London though, thank gawd! too many tourists. Born there, done that.
What's it like in Singapore??? I went to Hong Kong when I was a baby, but i expect it's much different!

~~*iarfalaswen*~~
Tara
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2003 07:24
I'm from Pennsylvania...Tri state area...about an hours journey from NYC. Lots of snow these days... I live in a beautiful small town in the country. I lived in San Francisco for a few years...great city but I missed the country.

Tanlaithwen- for me it's all about the accent....and I suppose the attitude....(I've never been to England though...someday....I'd also LOVE to visit Ireland....)

Peace, Tara
highlandergirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2003 08:28
Just out of interest, I think a lot of Americans are Anglophiles, but why? Why do you find England so great?

I don't know exactly how to explain this, but I think it's because since we're like a hodge-podge of all ethnic groups, we don't feel really connected to strong cultural ties or traditions, a sense of our ancestoral history...our own history isn't very old. For example: Irish Americans can identify with Irish culture, but we're not Irish, we're here, you know, don't get the full experience of our heritage.

But if it's in your bloodlines, you can feel it-like I do about being Celtic...when I hear Celtic music, I feel it in my heart.

My family has always been Anglophiles. I don't know why, it's the history, the literature, and we have a drier sense of humor so always prefered British comedy. I grew up with Monty Python, etc. Watching BBC was a treat in my family. Then in the eighties I was all about the British Music scene,( 90's, too)..Doc Martens, lol...Young Ones..

Then there's the Medieval things we love, American wasn't part of that Medieval period. It's just a displaced feeling in a way, having your family history tied up with a land you don't live in. Not that the idea of America isn't beautiful..a place of refuge and for every culture to live together and blend, but you know.

I don't think I explained it well, but that's the best I can do..

[Edited on 5/1/2003 by highlandergirl]
Elbereth_Jones
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2003 02:04
Quebec, Canada. Where we have to get more snow than 90 % of other places in the world and I hate it here. :angry:
TylerDurden
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2003 06:11
hey YALL. Okay, no I dont live in southern US... but I like to say yall... its part of my vocab. you could say. Aite.... well, out of the people who have posted in here: I feel LONELY! Yall girls + stuff... (sorry if any of you r guys; most people here r girls which is why I usually guess that way) ne ways.. actually, girls all over the place isnt that bad! ^__* Well yea, other than feeling "sexicized" out... I feel really far away from everybody! Yall bein in like, Europe... hehe, its all kool though. Kali is awesome: WAAAYY too many tourists though... argh. No snow, cant say anything but that (at least in my area, I CAN visit the snow though! <--- rhymes) sorry... sometimes I just say every random thought that comes to mind. Hmmm.... I havent seen ANY OF YOU in Chat!!!! Come on people, when you have the time, jump in! Ill b your favorite person, dont worry. I can make you feel at home.. well, other people can too. Just dont b afraid to talk! ....... WAAY off topic. Ne wayz, I just feel like Im the only one in the West ... whats it like other places? I mean, you've already said, but I wanna hear more! Its boring living in the same place your whole life, I like to hear about new ztuff! Aight, thats it 4 me, but I be talkin to yall l8r. Bye!

P.S: highlander, Monty Python rules! ^__*
Furry-footed_Nerf_Herder
Pippinatic
Send Message
on: January 05, 2003 08:04
I"m in Southern California, USA. San Diego to be specific. It's pretty sunny right now, having a Santa Ana, that's hot winds off the desert, makes it quite warm.
starson
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2003 01:42
NYC and NJ....at the moment is is soooo cold, getting to work was like getting across the helcaraxe!
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: January 06, 2003 11:05
TylerDurden - actually, I'd say most of our members are American. In fact, I just found out that Iarfalaswen and Elinor
were fellow Brits
Tara - we have lots of different accents, they're all really really different, but I was talking to Mother Scothia about that once, and she said that it's often very difficult to tell the differences for other countries accents, and they're only really obvious to us. As for attitude - hmmm. I'd say a lot of people everywhere around have bad attitudes. Unfortunately that includes us.
Highlandergirl - I was watching a programme on TV the other day, which basically said that all of the rituals that we prize as old English customs were actually invented in the Victorian era to try and save the Monarchy from being completely hated!
And if you think about it, what with all the invasions we've had, being "British" is basically being European. We've had the French, the Vikings, the Romans, and I don't take history so I don't know all of the others But I do like our comedy, I have to say. Although I am a big fan of Friends, Frasier and Will and Grace. Anyway, this is getting a bit off-topic. I'll go somewhere else
Tara
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2003 12:39
Tanlaithwen- To clarify...I didn't mean attitude in a negative way at all. It is hard to explain...a kind of aloof, loftiness or something. Of course, this is a stereotype..everyone is an individual...and yes I notice variations on accents but they do sound similar to me. I hope I didn't insult anyone, I meant no disrespect.

Peace, Tara
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: January 06, 2003 03:09
Just out of interest, I think a lot of Americans are Anglophiles, but why? Why do you find England so great?

Probably because there are so many over here whose ancestors came over from the British Isles.
I hail from Virginia. My ancestors are a mixture of English, Scottish, and Irish colonists, so I find the whole area over there to be interesting. Don't know if you'd rate me as an Anglophile, but I do watch a lot of the BBC America channel. Probably because the shows seem better.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: January 07, 2003 06:12
I'm from Windsor, Ontario, Canada- just across the river from Detroit Mich. USA. ````````````````````````````````````````````````````
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: January 08, 2003 03:50
ooh i somehow missed this topic...

as many of you know im from the lovely land of England... down south there (gotta love that westcountry accent ) but in the term time i am in wales... which also rocks!

i really like the united kingdom and cant imagine wanting to live anywhere else. yay!!!
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: January 08, 2003 10:53
I totally agree with you K! Some of my friends want to live in America, or Australia, or Germany, or other places, and I don't understand them! I'm sure everywhere else is very very nice, but moving too far away from home permanently isn't my thing
Tara, I thought you meant that you thought that we have really good attitudes in England, that we're all really polite and stuff. You didn't offend me at all! I thought you were giving us a compliment
Enchilion
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2003 03:03
I wish I lived somewhere cool. But I am stuck here in crummy Idaho. Have been for the past 20 years.
How I long for the days that I spend somewhere nice. I wish I lived in Oregon, on the coast. There's just something about sunsets, and playing clarinet while watching that burning ball of hydrogen and helium drop below the horizon...I look forward to that every summer.
Veaglarwen
Tech Admin & Co-Themer
Send Message
on: January 09, 2003 10:12
Hey! I live in Idaho too and it is NOT crummy! And no you can NOT stalk me! And no we can NOT go out to dinner. hehe, just kidding...we can some time. See ya ench(ilada).
tani
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2003 11:23
G'day mates, from down-unna 'ere. (That being Australia) but I was born and live for a while in London... so I'd like to think I'm not as sterotypically Aussie as I seem. lol!
numtelpion
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2003 06:03
Fromn what i've heard of Idaho i'd hate it, too.
That said, there are lots of places in wisconsin i'd hate to live
PointedEars
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2003 08:33
I live in Scotland, I like the village I stay in, but there's a lot about my country that I don't like. I am often embarrassed to be Scottish
iarfalaswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2003 09:04
I am often embarrassed to be Scottish

Hey don't be!!!!! So what I'm over the border in England, but I totally lurve Scotland and all things from the land of the Kilts A certain cute hobbit hails from Glasgow!
Why do you get embarassed sometimes?

~~*iarfalaswen*~~

[Edited on 26/1/2003 by iarfalaswen]
Galenas
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2003 07:52
I hail from Wisconsin USA. Home of cheeseheads, beer breath and mental cases who paint their bellies green and yellow when it is 10 degrees outside. So much to be proud of. Well, we do have cows.
Galadriel_The_Hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2003 02:53
I live in Scotland, I like the village I stay in, but there's a lot about my country that I don't like. I am often embarrassed to be Scottish

Why do you get embarasses??? Some of the best people where scottish, think about Billy Boyd!.. Or even... William Wallace! *throws a copy of 'Braveheart' at PointedEars* watch it, It's good for you. may make you proud to be scottish, who nose Scotland may be small (compaired to some countrys) and cold but that isn't nesiserily a bad thing. What, now, would you rather be english? and sit sipping your tea, pinky in the air with a really posh accent? Humph! Scotland Rocks and i would say that even if i wasn't scottish and really biast!

Um.. sorry.. lecture over...:blush:

sowwy, meant no offence to english people.

[Edited on 12/1/2003 by Galadriel_The_Hobbit]
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: January 12, 2003 03:08
What, now, would you rather be english? and sit sipping your tea, pinky in the air with a really posh accent? Humph!

Now now, if you insult us any more I WILL lock this thread. No English-bashing please, or Idaho-bashing or anywhere-bashing. This is supposed to be about the GOOD things that where we live has, not about stereotyping English people (and that up there is totally not true by the way, that's the Queen et al, the rest of us aren't like that at all.) So, can we keep it down please, thanks, Tan
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2003 06:58
Well, we do have cows

*lol* Hey, we do too!!! Lots of 'em. I mean, you can't go anywhere without seeing one. Honestly, sometimes I can get totally crazy about it. Those sheep are kinda irritating aswell....*lol* really, when you see them every single day of your life, you can get tired of it.
Undomiel241
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2003 08:03

I'd find just about any place better than the US right now, nobody else has a dumb--- president who's trying to piss off the whole world by fighting with everybody...besides, I absolutely loved the UK when I was there, it's my favorite place in the world (not that I've been many places, but...)

everybody can send their rain and snow to Colorado if they don't want it...we're having the worst drought in recorded history and have had only one good snowstorm all season, which just happened to be while I was in NY!:cry:

anyway, I really love it here , but politics screw everything up
numtelpion
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2003 10:11
Where in WI?

I hail from Wisconsin USA. Home of cheeseheads, beer breath and mental cases who paint their bellies green and yellow when it is 10 degrees outside. So much to be proud of. Well, we do have cows.
Linwe
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2003 03:55
I am from western New York, I lived in Connecticut for a while, I moved back. I like it here... although everyday I slowly change my mind... No one can drive, mostly country bumpkins, lots and lots of snow,we have snow from october until april sometimes!!!!!:dizzy:
I love going to Nigara Falls... very relaxing to take it all in,, it is more fun on the Canada side of them, but unfortunately it is a couple hours drive so we don't go very often...
galad_fea
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2003 05:27
Greetings all,

I'm located up in the great white north(yay Canada!), and it's been snowing off and on for the last week or so.

I can't say why exactly people have such an affinity for England, *shrug* I know it's a great place though. I visited over the summer, and it was great. Clean and friendly and, hrem, historic. I can't wait to go back sometime.

I wonder why there are so few Canadians on this board?

[Edited on 15/1/2003 by galad_fea]
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2003 05:39
Greetings to all, and special greetings to my fellow Canadians:- galad_fea, Elbereth_Jones and PotbellyHairyfoot.

I hail from the northwest corner of the Great Inland Sea (that's Lake Superior to you regular humans).

If you are a Wheel of Time reader, this is somewhat like the Blasted Lands (especially when it's -30 and the blizzards are a-blowin':dizzy: ).

Nice to see such a variety of nations represented here!
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
iarfalaswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2003 08:49

If you are a Wheel of Time reader, this is somewhat like the Blasted Lands (especially when it's -30 and the blizzards are a-blowin':dizzy: ).

-30??!!!!!! I like the cold weather, but not that cold!
Sympathy with all cold/hot constantly people!

Nice to see such a variety of nations represented here!

Yeah ditto! Respect to y'all homeland! *waves to evry1*

**hugs and peace to all**
~~*iarfalaswen*~~
SweetBriar
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2003 02:48
Hey!

I hail from downstate New York (not quite the city). The same state that gave the world the Empire State Building, Buffalo wings and David Hyde Pierce (among other things).

This is quite an international group we have here!

For me, it is something that is part of my heritage. By blood I am mostly Irish, but there is some British in me too (as well as German and Dutch). I'm just a Western European person all around. Speaking for myself, I am an Anglophile because it is a part of me; I have never had any first-hand experience with British/Irish culture. It is about staying in touch with who I am and where I come from.

The US is a country of people who have come from elsewhere to find a better life, so it makes people naturally curious about where they come from, either directly or indirectly.
I think it is common for a lot of people in the US to get fascinated with a culture that is not quite our own, yet it has everything to do with the country's formation, historically speaking. Many, many people don't have a drop of British blood in them, but because of the roots of the US and the social structure that in many ways is sill related to British culture, people get very interested.

It's often a social thing, in a nutshell.

Plus, it's cool.
Lavalier
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2003 03:22
Im from Scotland. Aberdeen if you care.
I sit around eating Haggis and drinking Whiskey in a kilt all day and say "Och aye the noo?!"
Scotlands cool I guess. If you like looking at mountains, rain, sheep, more rain, snow and even more rain. Which is always nice.

Scotland rules cause we managed to stop the Romans from conquering us.

Im off to look at some rain now...

Claire

PS Pointed ears, why ARE you embarrased to be Scottish???
~GrimaAragornLegolas~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2003 03:43
I wish i was in the English winter, not the Australian summer! SOOO hot, the bushfires are very bad, yesterday most of Melbourne was covered in smoke blown down from the Victorian bushfires. The Canberra bushfires are much worse though- over four hundred houses have been burnt down and four people have tragically died.

Give me snow any day!!
Rethehare
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2003 05:45
I came form Poland. A country so close to Mordor that the TTT premiere is on January 31st!! (Illegal copies are life savers sometimes).
But my city has its own dragon.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2003 07:31
I came form Poland. A country so close to Mordor.....

So, Rethehare, what is Mordor for Poland?

My ancestors are from Eastern Europe also, and they would say that it was Russia/Soviet Union.............

[Edited on 20/1/2003 by Neenime]

[Edited on 1/2/2003 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Rethehare
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2003 08:27
It no longer is. But the spirit of Sauron still lingers in some corners.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email