Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
Post You Know What Really Grind My Gears?
on: October 14, 2008 01:25
I made this post for you to tell me what angers or frustrates you. Just put -"You know what really grinds my gears?"- and then put down what angers you.

You know what really grinds my gears?
When a friend says something that they think is right and you know is wrong. Like an LOTR fact that they say wrong. Now THAT really grinds my gears!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

What grinds your gears?
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: You Know What Really Grind My Gears?
on: October 14, 2008 02:00
When a friend says something that they think is right and you know is wrong. Like an LOTR fact that they say wrong. Now THAT really grinds my gears!!!!!!!!!!
I'm the same. Recently my naneth, after watching ROTK, adopted "Muster the Rohirrim" as a sort of catchphrase, but she never says it right -- she says "Rohirrin". Oh, and she starts singing "Volare" whenever I mention the Valar. I now develop a twitch whenever I hear that song, and pray for some well-placed smiting.
Oh, and what else grinds my gears -- misspelling. It kills me. I have this obsession with spelling... it's bordering on the abnormal. :blush:
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: October 14, 2008 03:03
When people confuse Merry and Pippin, grammar mistakes, people saying Heroes is a rip off of X-Men, people saying Lost is stupid
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2008 09:03
People who descriminate me and my friends based on style, music, and beliefs. It makes me so angry sometimes
People beating up others for not having the same views and for being 'different'
people who judge other people and make comments about them
racism
uneven things i have been known to cut tassels and strings until theyre all one length
odd numbered foods
people offering me meat when im a vegetarian >_<
grammar mistakes on t-shirts!! OMG, that gets under my skin so bad, its not even funny. i know some of its on purpose, but still...and mistakes made in textbooks
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: October 15, 2008 02:19
People who descriminate me and my friends based on style, music, and beliefs. It makes me so angry sometimes
People beating up others for not having the same views and for being 'different'

*applauds* Amen, Elfalas! *is feeling quite like this lately*
LightElfRowena
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2008 09:53
My boss drives me crazy! I work at my campus barnes and noble bookstore. Everytime we do our job, he goes off saying that we didn't keep track of basic things that we should normaly do. Let me tell you something, as bookseller it's our job to deal with the customers, that is very important. Also our manager gives us 'projects' that we needs to do.

You can't expect us to handle other things when we are tied to customers and our projects right? It's too much! Yet, he keep complaining about us not handling basic things! He's the manager of the store shouldn't HE take care of it? We even have the assistant manager as well! She can help him out too! Can anyone understand what i'm talking about? God.. he makes me so ANGRY!
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: October 18, 2008 01:30
Tardiness, littering, and misspelled words in public places (like on the local news) really piss me off.
Also, people trying to get books banned because they think they know what's best for everyone.

[Edited on 10/18/2008 by Aowyn]
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: October 18, 2008 06:40
What really grinds my gears is when my older sister thinks she is right all the time and she treats my youngest sister's children special and ignores my children and she puts me down and belittles me.
When I don't stand up for myself and can't think of a quick comeback. By the way I am 56 and my sister 59.

[Edited on 19/10/2008 by awelyn418]

[Edited on 19/10/2008 by awelyn418]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2008 10:39
1. Using text-speak and internet-speak when writing at inappropriate times.
2. The young not being listened to just because they're young.
3. The young not listening to the old because, believe it or not, we do know a thing or two about the world.
4. Grammar mistakes by news anchors. This happens all the time on the national news and it makes me NUTS!
5. The elderly treated like second-class citizens.
6. Gangs
7. Computers that don't work the way they're supposed to. :killcomp:

I think that's enough to be getting on with at the moment. It's a silly world for sure!
:banghead:
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2008 01:50
I totally agree about the computers that don't work as they should!

Another thing that makes me upset is when someone is taking about your friend, or yourself, behind your's or your friend's back, and you find out about it. It makes you feel so miserable!
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
LightElfRowena
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2008 12:10
I have one that people should recognize. Have you noticed that any book you read may have words that can be mispelled or sentences that don't make any sense? That drives me crazy! This makes me wonder how authors can be famous if they make simple spelling mistakes....
Caden
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2011 06:11
racism
uneven things i have been known to cut tassels and strings until theyre all one length
odd numbered foods
people offering me meat when im a vegetarian >_<
grammar mistakes on t-shirts!! OMG, that gets under my skin so bad, its not even funny. i know some of its on purpose, but still...and mistakes made in textbooks

Ok...a little OCD there? LOL. You sound like my mom when she brought home an uneven number of soup cans! She spend forever trying to stack them in the pantry so it was balanced.

What grinds my gears...let me see, um. People who treat me like I'm a kid!

People who ask me questions they know I don't know the answers to just to make me look stupid in front of a bunch of people, including the guy I like.

People who make comments on me, saying that I'm fat and ugly, when I know I'm not. But that's one of the reason I haven't posted any pix of myself.

The words 'I thought you were 14'!

Little suckers

chewed and stained clothes that have been away all summer/winter and now are ruined!

Mary-Sues or original characters that are female! I can't stand the 'fiery, fiesty strong characters who the main boys fall for and she pretends to ignore them! I can't put into words the fury that runs though my chest when I see characters like that!
Frodo~the~Second
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2011 03:53
1. Justin Bieber *hurl*

2. Lady Gaga

3. Mary-sues and the like, as bothers Caden (I wish I could name a few that sneaked on here...)

4. Fanfictions where any of the four Hobbits die (GRARRRRR!!!)

5. Worrying that our main girls are Mary-sues

6. People who aren't into anything

Ellirwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2011 12:59
1. I hate Justin Bieber for the same reason I hate the Jonas Brothers: because they are everywhere on everything! Every time I turn around I see or hear something about Justin Bieber.
2. People who use the word "good" as an adverb. It's an adjective.
"Though she be but little, she is fierce." -A Midsummer Night's Dream
Ellirwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2011 01:00
Oh, and Lady Gaga. She frightens me.
Marlewyn
Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: April 29, 2011 05:14
1: When people mix up "your" and "you're."
2: When I have to take a class which I could pass without sitting there for the whole school year.
3: When the teachers of said classes ignore me when I repeatedly answer their questions and instead tell an otherwise silent classroom that "someone in here must know the answer!"
Frodo~the~Second
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2011 10:19
News flash: Me and my sisters won a contest to meet the Jonas Brothers. Forgive me, but if I may be so bold, I am a patient of OJD (obsessive Jonas disorder) and I feel defend them ALMOST (I only emphesize to say not quite) as madly as I would defend a Hobbit.
But I agree: Lady Gaga is creepy and Justin Bieber is one of those things that lives on the kind of animal you would usually keep in a cage.

7. My dad when he's impatient

8. My two new crutches (I named them Gollum and Smeagol)
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2011 11:29
Just need to rant a bit.

Something that has been annoying me recently is my mother's attitude to my interests. She makes no secret of the fact that she doesn't like the stuff I like - which is fine, but she doesn't understand why I like any of it either, and she goes on about things like the Pern novels, in fact books in general, and the Internet videos I watch, and she talks negatively about them even though she doesn't know the first thing about them. I get told every other day that I should stop watching the Nostalgia Critic (and other videos on the same site) because I find some of the jokes a little distasteful.
She also keeps talking about my writing, and how it's a "waste of time" writing fanfiction and records of my Sims games (she hates Sims), and I should write something original. The problem is that I can never think of anything that's not LotR or Sims-related, and whenever I try to write anything original it just fizzles out after about a page. (Most of the stuff I write does this anyway, no matter what sort of story it is.)
She has this thing about art, too, specifically how good I supposedly am at it. She keeps going on at me about how I should start drawing and painting again like I used to when I was younger, and even though I tell her every single time that I'm just not all that interested in doing art any more, and that I'm no longer inspired to do any drawing apart from doodles, and I don't think I'm all that talented in that area, she just won't let it drop, and I get so frustrated.

Another thing that's been irritating me is school. I go to a "special" school, and I just feel like nobody has any expectations for me, at least on the academic front. I barely get any work, and when I do, it's only two subjects (Maths and Language), and it's really simple things like adding and subtracting, and some of it I swear I recognize from primary school. The most exasperating thing, though, is that even with the easiest stuff I'm so out of practice that I can't do it! Whenever that happens I just feel like crying, only I can't because, well, I'm at school, so I just end up with my head on the table trying to hide from the problem. It's really horrible.
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2011 06:09
Loony, et: :hug: Have you ever considered teaching yourself something? That's what I ended up doing because I could never understand what the teacher was blathering on about. Hang in there.
And write that fanfiction! It's okay if you can't come up with an original story, just keep doing what you do best!

[Edited on 19/5/2011 by starofdunedain]
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2011 01:14
When I talk about one of my interests and then people ask me how I "know about this stuff?". No one would ask me that question if I was into organized sports or modern celebrities, even though, if they thought about it, they'd realize my knowledge/interests would have grown in the same way. But because I get about things like classical literature and baroque music, I must have developed my interests on another dimensional plane.

Also, because I love this quote mentioned in the thead's subject line, what really grinds my gears is people in the 19th century.
Marlewyn
Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: July 05, 2011 05:43
Also, because I love this quote mentioned in the thead's subject line, what really grinds my gears is people in the 19th century.

Really? I'll try not to bother you.
Galadeth
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2011 01:12
I hate when people ask me what I am doing, and then always complain about it.
Parents:
- What are you doing? - Reading a book - What book? - A book of Tolkien's, it's called... - You should go out instead of always reading
- What are you doing? - Writing a fanfic - What is a fanfic? - A short story or book... etc etc - What is it about? - It's a fantasy ff - *interrupts* You'd better study instead of wasting your time!
- What are you doing? - Studying - Can you go get the phone? I've got to call John Smith.
Ex classmates (luckily!):
*in class during a spare hour, teacher was missing and we were allowed to do whatever we wanted*
- What are you doing? - Reading a book - You are antisocial, come here and chat with us don't keep reading!

When people ask me questions and I have to struggle to find the right answer!
Mum:
- Is it raining outside? - *looks outside the window* no, it isn't
5 minutes later
- Is it raining outside? - *looks outside* no it isn't - Oh god I asked you if it's raining! - *gets confused* Well, it's not raining but I think it would be raining in some minutes - Was it so hard to answer? You'll never find a job if you give such short answers

I can't understand people sometimes. It seems like they ask you something because they're searching for a good excuse to argue, not because they actually want to know more about your interests. :angry:
Ellirwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 08, 2011 10:07
People who think the Tengwar is/looks like Arabic.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: August 08, 2011 11:47
I don't like people who have the indecency to steal your stuff and destroy other stuff in the process. It's very rude and illegal.
Galadeth
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2011 11:47
What really grind my gears is people who judge without knowing what they are talking -bad- about :angry:
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: August 24, 2011 01:50
Job-related:

When a co-worker is lazy, doesn't do his job and you have to pick up the slack. And upper management looks the other way and doesn't do a thing.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
CrazyElfie
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2011 03:31
People who only like something because everybody else does (think Harry Potter, Jersey Shore, pop music... maybe Harry Potter doesn't belong on that list, but it's still overwhelmingly popular) really annoy me. As do the opposite: people who refuse to like something all because it's too mainstream. Case in point: these so-called indie people. It's a surprise they're not quitting their ways now that their music style is becoming more widespread, especially around here... It's okay to like stuff, but like it because you really do like it, not because it's mainstream/obscure...
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2011 05:07
People who only like something because everybody else does (think Harry Potter, Jersey Shore, pop music... maybe Harry Potter doesn't belong on that list, but it's still overwhelmingly popular) really annoy me. As do the opposite: people who refuse to like something all because it's too mainstream. Case in point: these so-called indie people. It's a surprise they're not quitting their ways now that their music style is becoming more widespread, especially around here... It's okay to like stuff, but like it because you really do like it, not because it's mainstream/obscure...

Hear hear! I've seen so many supposed fans of one of my favorite bands post hate comments about them because they didn't like their change in music and thought it was too mainstream. :nono: It's very annoying, I thought their new music was great.
Andowen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2011 07:59
I'll admit, I quite often avoid something if lots of people are raving about it, mainly because I've found that things aren't always as great as people make out they are - I avoided Harry Potter for years for that reason, hehe.
vanyar
Nessa’s Head Llama
Send Message
on: November 14, 2011 09:12
You know what really grinds my gears...people who talk too much and can't take polite hints to shut up. Like, they turn a 20 second answer into a 10 Minute conversation and you start to tap your fingers waiting for them to finally spit out whatever it was they came to you to say. I usually lose patience and snap at them to get to the point or I'm walking away... it's just so annoying. Or you bump into them in a parking lot and they start talking...and talking...and talking and the whole time you're edging closer to your car, pulling your keys out...I've actually gotten into my car, turned it on and started slowly rolling away and they were still talking to me through the car window!!!
Sponge Fighting Instructor, and Keeper of the Llamas for the Realm of Nessa! "Dance hard, laugh loud, and never misplace your sponge"
SongofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2011 07:14
You know what really grinds my gears? People confusing Gandalf and Dumbledore. I mean, they should at least be able to recognize that Gandalf is the one with the staff, right? *sigh* And people who say they "hate classical music" really only because they think it's too old for them, but they can appreciate a good movie soundtrack... seriously. You like classical music. You really do. But if it's called classical than you think you don't.
Well, that's all i got right now.
SongofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 02, 2011 06:41
One more: cryptic facebook statuses. Ever have those? Stuff like "I'm done with this now" of just a ? or "i guess that's how things are gonna be" or they sound like a rant at someone they're angry at... and they never give any explaination, even if someone asks what's up. If you don't want to tell everyone on facebook what you're talking about, don't put it on facebook!
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2011 07:57
Writer's block and my inability to write a good action scene. :rolleyes:
Talkeen43
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2011 07:57
Yeah, I have to agree with you on the facebook thing, SongofNimrodel.
Don't these people know they're telling ALL of their "friends" some obscure rant that REALLY means nothing to most???

Someone should start a new social media network called; StumpSpeech.com! A place where you can rant and rave about anything you want and leave Facebook to people with a little more common sense.

Seen on a Facebook status; "Facebook isn't your free Psychologist!"

findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: You Know What Really Grind My Gears?
on: April 17, 2013 03:23
I ahte writers block. It is my worst nemisis. I thankfully have been writing action scenes long enough to get them down to a science, though;D
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email