Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
highlandergirl
Council Member
Send Message
Post What LotR quotes do you use most often?
on: January 14, 2003 02:42
What phrases/quotes from LotR (movies/books) do you use most often in real life?

These are the ones I find myself saying:
He's clearly overreacting..

Wicked, tricksy, false...only there aren't nearly enough opportunies to use that one..a good thing, of which I should be thankful,eh? I do call people tricksy a lot.( suspicious by nature..)

Yeah..and the Ring's going to Gondor ( used like Sure..and Hell's frozen over, or pig's are flying,..yeah, r-i-i-i-ght)

Good Smeagol, always helps..

I am going. I am leaving now. Goodbye.

Speak quickly!

I feel it in the air..etc.

(Hobbit)
Sorry! I don't want any adventures, thank you. Not today.
Mind Bilbo doesn't eat all the cakes!
references to the Tookish side taking over or wearing off to explain irrational/rational behavoir.

There's more but those are my most common..the Gondor one's my favorite.

[Edited on 17/1/2003 by highlandergirl]
PervyOrcFancier
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: What LotR quotes do you use most often?
on: January 14, 2003 02:59
ah yes, I use alot of the quotes quit frequently in everyday life!

"what about their legs? they don't need those.." (usually with 'her' or 'his' instead of 'they') :blush:

"Stupid fat hobbit!" LOL, I use that alot in normal conversations.. or just random insult throwing at people.. it works.

"a new power is rising! ..victory is at hand." I dont' say that very often, but it comes up at times.

and yes, I really do say the whole shagrat and grobah conversation to myself.. infact, my official greeting these days is: "Hola! Yoi!"

~Ascarantwen_the_Elf~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2003 04:17
I freak people out going 'yessss preeecioussss...'. Other than that, I frequently quote quite a lot of Pippin lines...
Legolin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2003 05:13
I use quotes form the LotR quite often, but the coolest thing is my little brother who is 5, he can quote about 50% of Frodo's lines in the movie!

It's quite funny to see this little 5 year old put his hands on his hips and say "Your late" and then jump into your arms every time you enter the room!
Iarlachien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2003 05:25
I use quotes form the LotR quite often, but the coolest thing is my little brother who is 5, he can quote about 50% of Frodo's lines in the movie!

It's quite funny to see this little 5 year old put his hands on his hips and say "Your late" and then jump into your arms every time you enter the room!

My brother wields a wooden battle axe and hums the Uruk-Hai theme music and shouts things like "Find the halflings!" and "I'll cut a maggot-hole in your belly." And he can do the best Gollum voice I've ever heard, except for Andy Serkis of course.
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 14, 2003 08:05
if my brothers wake me up by being nosy, I stumble out into the kitchen, yelling hoarsly, "KILL THE HALFLINGS!!!"

other than that, mostly Pippin lines....usually directed towards a rather Merry-like friend...

"That's nice, Merry!" for when she does something...

or, to freak out my brother,

"I am a halfling, hard, bold, and WICKED!!!"
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: January 15, 2003 12:01
im absolutely convinced that "ack" is a lord of the rings quote i use that alot.

umm other ones... i think alot of them but dont use many unless im talking LotR
Legolin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2003 03:23
My little brother (one them) the 5 year old I told you about above has just seen the Two Towers and so has added a few more things to collection of LotR quotes...

His Smeagol face... the toothy smile while nodding quickly.

His happy Smeagol face... the big open mouth smile.

Every time you try to talk to him he puts his hands on his ears and says "Not listening"

I was making supper with potatoes and he askes "What's taters precious?"

On a sadder note, when Gollum was having his fight with himself and says that he has no friends, the little guy sais with a sad look, that he would be Smeagol's best friend.

Also, he got mad wen all the shumcks at the theater laughed at gollum, so he has more sense than most of the adualts there!
elfin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2003 06:06
I like to pick up random things and call them 'My precioussss' lol...
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2003 10:15
I have a lil piece of paper glued to the front of my agenda that says "My Preciousssss!"
hehe (and "Bulssssseye" on the back )

Other than that, I say things like

"Stupid fat Hobbit!" (gotta luv that scene..)

And I sometimes randomly say "ISILDUURR!!!" a la Elrond, or

"My love, my own, my precioussss!"

And I like to refer to some people as "Yrch"
or things as "Mordor" (again a la Elrond)
Parmadur
The Happy Pariah
Send Message
on: January 15, 2003 11:25
I've taken to calling my cat Precious. "So bright... so beautiful... my Precious." She responds to 'Precious' as if it were her real name.

Also, when asked to do anything by anybody, I'll occasionally bring a devious expression to my face, pause, and say slowly: "We could let... her do it."

I've told various people not to follow the lights, for no real reason at all other than my own amusement. A week or so ago at work, I was uncharacteristically jumpy and a coworker of mine asked me what I was scared of, which led to me quoting Eowyn's cage line...

The rest are all far too random for me to remember. Half the time I'm quoting LotR and have no idea, lol. I'm really quite pathetic.

(Gollum seems to be the character most quoted so far. Probably because his speech is so fun.)
Galadriel_The_Hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2003 12:08
I freak people out going 'yessss preeecioussss...'. Other than that, I frequently quote quite a lot of Pippin lines...

hehe, same here!
"my precioussss! It's Mine, my own!.. my preciousssss. Filthy hobbitsssessss, They ssstole it from me. The precioussss, they stole the precioussss!" I'll go on like that for ages.

as well, Pippin quotes.. and... um.. "CREBAIN FROM DUNLAND!!!" ummm... "Toss me, just.. don't tell the elf!" though i'll usualy say "gonna toss me _____?.. just... don't tell the elf!"
Um... "MERRY! It's FROOOODOOOO baggins!" in a REALLY over exagerated Glasweigan accent!
~Ascarantwen_the_Elf~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2003 12:19
as well, Pippin quotes.. and... um.. "CREBAIN FROM DUNLAND!!!"
"MERRY! It's FROOOODOOOO baggins!" in a REALLY over exagerated Glasweigan accent!

Haha me too! I say that whenever I see a bird flying over me...

I say this in a very exagerated accent constantly for no reason: "Baggins? Suuure I know a Baggins - he's over there, Froooodo Baggins. He's my second cousin, once removed on his muther's side."

Plus, the second breakfast quote and the pint quote.

[Edited on 15/1/2003 by ~Ascarantwen_the_Elf~]
Galadriel_The_Hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2003 12:44
Haha me too! I say that whenever I see a bird flying over me...

I say this in a very exagerated accent constantly for no reason: "Baggins? Suuure I know a Baggins - he's over there, Froooodo Baggins. He's my second cousin, once removed on his muther's side."

Plus, the second breakfast quote and the pint quote.

Yeah!!! exactly the same here! I saw a big bunch of crows on my way to school this morning. (heaven help the poor Taxi driver) i screamed crebain from dunland REALLy loud and i think i gave him a fright.

Yeah. I do that with all pippin Quotes. Out of the blue. So now everyone at school calls me pippin... Not that any of them like LOTR (huh. Havn't even given the film a chance, never mind the books!)
Galenas
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2003 03:32
"A wizard if never late......., nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to."
Especially good when late to meetings.

"It came to me, my own, my love, my own,
my Prrrrrrrrrecious!"
When receiving any kind of chocolate.

"Havo dad........(whoever)"
When somebody needs to chill.

"Speak FRIEND and enter".
When I am being paged...go figure.

"Lasto beth nin, tolo dan na ngalad"
(Hear my voice, come back to the light)
When I just want to sound cool.

"What's taters Precious?"
Just can't help myself sometimes.

LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2003 05:55
Cool! Gotta try the Wizard thing when I'm late for school haha. I'd luv to see how my teacher would react to that...

Here's a conversation of my brother and two friends today:
Mark: (for absolutely no reason, and particularly loud...) "Precioussssss....."
Peter: "Shaddup Mark!"
Koen (my bro): "Stupid fat Hobbit!!"

And when we're eating something with mushrooms or I read it somewhere (aye, you can guess it...) "Mashrooms!!" in that awfully cute accent

BTW, Parmadur, luv your siggie
Brêgwend
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2003 06:11
um....I actually don't use lord of the rings quotes that much*other than mmyyy precccciousss....* but one of my fav lines from the book is "all that is goild does not glitter, not all who wander are lost,.....the crownless agian shall be king." yeah. I like that line. But, if I watched FoTR I could reapeat 75% of the lines simeltaniously with charecters, and then i'm gonna have to start all over agian with TTT.
Cheers!
~Amanda
numtelpion
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2003 09:11
Definitely "My precioussssssss", also the Aragorn poem.
I say the Ring Verse in Black Speech a lot, and my friends scrream, and i quote the FOTR line where "the elves stopped their ears" and all that.
Undomiel241
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2003 09:34
I must admit, I use quotes ALL the time, here are some of the most frequent:

Gimli: "Give me a row of orc-necks and room to swing and all weariness will fall from me!" -whenever I'm really tired but still need to do things

Gollum: "What has it got in its pocketses? Tell us that. It must tell first." -any time my sister asks a favor

Aragorn: "Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!" -any time I ask my sister for a favor

I also do a good many things from the Scouring of the Shire and find myself singing

Hey ho! to the bottle I go,
To heal my heart and drown my woe.
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
But there still be...many miles to go,

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain
And the stream that falls from hill to plain,
Better than rain or rippling brook
Is a mug of beer inside this Took!

you've gotta love that one

just remembered this one:
Bilbo: "The road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began..." -whenever I leave the house going anywhere but school

[Edited on 18/1/2003 by Undomiel241]
Calledor
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2003 11:32
"This, my friend, is a pint."

"It comes in pints?! I'm getting one."

"Good evening little masters!"

"What are you doing?! Put it out you fools put it out!"

"Fly you fools."

"There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of the earth."

"Do not trust to hope, it has forsaken these lands."

"The closer we are to danger the further we are from harm."

"Roaring fires, malt beeer, red meat off the bone."

"Throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity."

"You need people of intelligence on this sort of mission, quest...thing."

Those are all of great use on a college campus or in a guy's dorm. I also do quite a few gollum lines cause I can do the voice.

~Ascarantwen_the_Elf~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2003 11:52
Hey ho! to the bottle I go,
To heal my heart and drown my woe.
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
But there still be...many miles to go,

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain
And the stream that falls from hill to plain,
Better than rain or rippling brook
Is a mug of beer inside this Took!

I didn't even consider that a quote....I constantly sing that! And no matter how many times I have sung that, I always forget the second line. @.@
Elinor
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2003 12:22
My friend has a habit of carrying me places (the reason is unknown to me), and whenever he does I always say 'DON'T TELL THE ELF!' Then he drops me on the tarmac because I say it really loud and startle him

I also like 'I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve'. I say whenever I'm bored, just to see if I can remember it.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: January 16, 2003 05:17
"Fool of a Took! Throw yourself in next time, and rid us of your stupidity!"--usually aimed at those annoying me
Tilion
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2003 05:29
One of my favorites is the "Gondor has no King, Gondor needs no King" line of Boromirs.

It's fun to play "the pants" game with Lord of the rings quotes, too. Simply replace random words in quotes with the word 'pants' So the aforementioned quote becomes "Gondor has no pants, Gondor needs no pants"
This always serves to crack my friends and I up, don't ask.
"We must go through the pants of Moria."etc...

I also love to sing the walking song, hobbit drinking song, Pippin's bath song, and the lay of Gil-Galad. Tolkien made such beautiful poems and songs!

Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: January 16, 2003 05:44
im absolutely convinced that "ack" is a lord of the rings quote i use that alot.

Yeah, I find myself saying Ack! alot recently, and I have no idea why....

I say, "I will go there and back again" quite often, though it's not a direct quote. I definitely sing Gollum's song from the Forbidden Pool without even realizing it...
Kingrichard
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2003 06:11
I use "And So It Begins" quite often..also...

"You Shall Not Pass!"

elrine_rose
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2003 06:24
"Fool of a Took." ~ i'm a recpetionist and i'm constantly mumbling this after hanging up with rediculous customers or salesmen.

"You shall not pass!" ~ mostly said to my little dog

The whole song, "The Road Goes Ever On". I just love that song!

vanima_aranel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2003 02:24
"My presciousssss" is always a good one. Some times i freak my friends and family out by wispering things like the ring does. that's always a laugh....hahaha....see what i mean? and sometimes when i'm just like, walking down the street, i start speaking the lines in elvish frm the movie. espically Galadriel's prologue. i amar prestar aen.... :dizzy: i also call my brother"stupid fat hobbit!" LOL good times!
Furry-footed_Nerf_Herder
Pippinatic
Send Message
on: January 17, 2003 05:37
"My pressscioussss" always seems to come up.

"You Shall not pass" is one of my favorites to use

"Give it to me wrrrrigling and rrraw" Love that one during dinner, especially when we're having steaks! People tend to look at me a bit oddly, but what do I care!

"Yesss masster" love that one with my dad, he hates it!

"Not listening, not listening" that one's always fun

"You need people of intelligence on this sort of mission, quest...thing." This is soooooooo me, I use it allllllll the time.

That's all I can think of now
SadisticYoda
Danger to Mankind
Send Message
on: January 17, 2003 07:50
I think if Gollum says it, I've probaly said it a few times. For instance, someone wants to know where the bathrooms are, my reply: "Follow Smeagol! Smeagol knows the way!" Or possibly someone would make me mad, so I mutter under my breath "Nasssty fat hobbit." Also, of course I'm chanting My precious at unconvient times. But aside from Gollum, I also tend to say "Forth Eorlingas" when leading multiple people. Yes, I am messed up.
Gypsy
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2003 08:32
I use "And So It Begins" quite often

Me too!

I also say "A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins" whenever someone tells me I'm late. Did it once to my form teacher. She told me off for being cheeky...!

I just quote Frodo a lot. My favourites are "It's some form of Elvish. I can't read it" (whenever I'm looking at some writing) "We wish to stay at the Prancing Pony" (It cracks my friends up cause I do this really posh Southern accent) "That man over there, in the corner...who is he?" (pointing at random people)

Also..me and my friends sometiems quote whole sections of the movies. Caroline is always the wizard or bad guy, Kate is always an elf or man and I'm always a hobbit...

It annoys the other people in the common room.

Ladyhawke
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2003 09:53
My friends at school are as obsessed with LotR as much as I am. We talk about it every day. And of course with each of these conversations there must be several quotes which will cause us to have random fits of laughter for no apparent reason.

"Ai! Ai! A balrog! A Balrog is come"
(to be said in a very high voice as the book states that Legolas "wailed" this)

"Fool of a Took!"
( love this line)

"You cannot wield it, none of us can! The one ring answers to Sauron alone, it has no other master!"
(We laugh very hard at this quote, because in the movie when Aragorn says it, he sounds like he has a cold. His voice is very nasaly and he sounds so funny.)
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: January 18, 2003 04:06
[quoteI also say "A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins" whenever someone tells me I'm late. Did it once to my form teacher. She told me off for being cheeky...!

Hahaha...when my students tell me that I'm late in the morning I tell them: "A teacher is never late. Nor is she early. She arrives precisely when she means to!"
Needless to say, they don't complain anymore.

Oh I probably forgot to mention that they all think I'm batty.

[Edited on 1/18/2003 by Aowyn]
Elinor
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2003 05:11
Wow Aowyn, you're a teacher!? That's so cool considering there are so many students here!

In English the other day the class had to make up our own versions of Shakespeare's Sonnet 18, so me and my friend Joanna ended up with this:

'Shall I compare thee to the King of Gondor?
Thou art more grubby, with less shampoo...'

Our English teacher was a little baffled when we read it!
Master_Parker
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2003 05:51
me and my mates...all consumed by the power of the one Trilogy....

Erm...I don' really use them quotes, but i call:

My principal Sauron (aka Harm and Theoden) : Weilder of the One School to bind them all in educational slavery. I was released from "Baradur" this year. Wahoo.

Saruman : An heir to the Dark throne once Sauron is defeated by age....his alliance with his Lord meant the destruction of the happiness that lied within the surrounding of the "Shire" -my school.

Wormtongue : the school clerk.

Legolas : the cafeteria guy mainly because he could whip up ur order faster than you could say "Table ten"

Treebeard : The pond-care taker....because he was the shepard of the Ponds and the trees around it. and he looked like Treebeard too.

Gimli : the caretaker with the bad-ass axe.

Aragorn : The sweeper...He's mean with the mops and pails and brooms. His wife's Eowyn (ack) the sheermaiden and mean with the cords and rags.

as for quotes:

"You are officially labelled a Disturber of the Peace"--mostly to myself. Coz I whenever I mention sth, everyone fights about it.

"You cannot not pass!"- Mostly to kids who wanted to use the school lift. Seniors prioratized, so get lost weenies.

"We 're not going any further...til we have a breather"---I'm hike-crazy and let's just say we always get competitive over who arrives at the sites first.

"Throw urself in next time and rid us of ur stupidity"-to basically everyone. I said that to the opposition in a debate once....cut our marks to 2 from 4.

"I haven't had any dealings with the _____ (mostly "outside world") ever since the Dark School Days....

"U moe edhored, mellon nin." ----to everyone who keeps apologizing to me for things they've done and I've forgotten.

"Am arad!!!"----- but in the "get lost" context.

"Office clerks, flower boys, ticket ushers...these are not men."

"You bring great evil here....you can go no further"---Includes manufactured artistes' records....and anti Lotr but Pro Harry Potter (neutral permitted)

".......It takes a looooooooooong time to saaaaaaaaay...."

"The closer we are to Danger the farther we are from Harm"---"danger" being my GP teacher and "harm" as in my principal.

"Ack!"---all the time.

"You are a liar.....and a FWIEF!!!"

"Chance for me....to show my quality....."---motivational thing

peace
M_P

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email