Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
idril_celeb
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: What LotR quotes do you use most often?
on: May 21, 2003 01:26
i think this are the ones i use more:
1) my precious!!!
2) you shall not pass! :angry:
3) the is evil there that does not sleep
4) something draws near, i can feel it
5) what about breakfats?
6) i amar prestar aen...
7) stupid fat hobbit!
speak quickly!!!!
and this i said it all day long: FOOL OF A TOOK!!! (when my friends make something stupid)
elrine_rose
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 04:24
I am often to be found singing "The Road Goes Ever On" or mumbling through the pub song.

I don't really say too many of the film or books quotes but I manage a "Nasssty Hobbiteses!" every once in a while under my breath. Or perhaps a "Fool of a Took!" somewhere in there.
ElvenBeauty321
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2003 03:12
I'm always yelling "Fool of a Took" at my little brother.Along with the "Throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity!"
"You shall not pass!" Whenever I don't want anyone in my room or anywhere near me.
I've been saying "What do they eat when they can't get hobbit?" a lot(and with the accent), mostly to bug people, but also if there are pesky bugs.
"If you want him, come and claim him!" Say it for no reason really.
Well here's one dwarf she won't ensnare so easily. I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox." "The dwarf breathes so loud we could have shot him in the dark." This one is just fun to say.
"My precioussss" Always, doesn't matter what my precious is.
"Stupid fat hobbit!" I don't really call anyone this, it's just for fun too.
"Lembas, elvish weighbread, one small bit can fill the stomach of a grown man." Or something like that. Gotta love that line. Then"How many did you eat?""Four" Lol
Lady_Goldberry
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2003 07:49
"It burrns us!"
"Thou fool, no living man may hinder me!"
"Begone foul Dwimmerlaik!"
"I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired this..."

..Well most of the time I don't say them out loud.

I sing "Roads go ever on and on" by the Tolkien Ensemble and I often hum Treebeard's song.

My thoughts are starting to sound like Gollum's. "We needs to go to bed in a minute... Where are our shoes, precious?" But it won't last long, a few years ago it was in a fake scottish accent, but only lasted a month or two.
vaminaElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2003 04:37
well, i use "my own my love my preccioussss..." when handling something. if someone gets me mad i yell out at them "Fool of a Took!" and my favorite is "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" which i say at the most random moments.
I_Luv_Frodo
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2003 06:40
Well.......these are the ones I use most often:

"Me niether, Sam!"

"You're 'opeless!"

"Go away, we don't want you!"

And my sister, when she's trying to get me to go to sleep says:

"Master should be sleeping, master needs to keep up his strenghth."

And from the interviews in Extended Fellowship we use:

"You can see the wild in his eyes, he goes slightly mental, something kinda clicks *click* (Flashy Elijah smile)"

And others at random times. :blush:

Andtalathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2003 05:24
LOL... I'm always scaring my friend by yelling, "STUPID FAT HOBBIT!" at her. She says I really sound like Gollum, but she only saw TTT once. (I don't sound like Gollum... really. My preciousss.)

Does anyone else get this? Sometimes when I'm watching FotR, I find myself mouthing their lines along with them... or saying it just before them... like in the Moria scene, I was saying "ORCS!" and "GOBLINS!" just before Legolas, then seconds later he'd say it... lol...
ElvenBeauty321
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2003 08:20
Yeah, of course. I'm always saying the lines along with the actors, especially when I like then line. Though that really annoys people when your watching it with someone else, so I only do it when I'm alone
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2003 09:33
I use quotes from both the films and the books all the time - to annoy my friends and family (who aren't really into Lotr).
I say "They have a cave troll!" alot - eg, when I went into French sat down between Dave and Jackie and said, "They have a cave troll!" before taking out my books - they got a bit scared!
I also shout, "Crebain from Dunland!" every time I see black birds.
I used, "A wizard is never late, ________, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to!" when I was supposed to meet my best friend but I was late. she got a bit annoyed by it.
And like everyone else I call everything, "my preciousss" and I've taken to calling potatoes, "taters" and even my friends who don't like Lotr have taken to using it!
Andowen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2003 10:04
My brother IS Gollum, he does all the voices and even crawls around on the floor like him.
Mind you I do have a tendency to tell people 'not it's business, mustn't ask!' at every available opportunity.
Of course not from the film but our very own slogan at Cirith Ennor when people say I'm obsessed I say 'Lord of the Rings isn't an obsession' Then with an evil glint in my eye (not unlike when Saruman turns to the camera in FOTR) I say 'It's a state of mind' It really freaks people out if you hiss it at them
Emerita
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2003 03:01
I don't really do many quotes...but I do refer to my home as Rivendell, because it offers peace and tranquility in my hectic scedule.
Opps. I almost forgot...LOL we usually catagorize guys as whether they are an Aragorn, Legolas, Boremir, Frodo,Merry, Pippin or Gollum....

[Edited on 27/5/2003 by Emerita]
Galwain
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2003 08:16
I seem to use Arwen's 'There is still hope' a lot. Especially when my computer dies (again) or when something of average importance is sold out.
And for some reason I quote Gollum with his 'It buuurns us!!' even more......hrm.....
Gil-galad_of_Lindon
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2003 08:46
I don't really quote, but I talk like Gollum alot. Especially when my sister tries to take my stuff or when we're fighting. Then she stops cause I scare her!(lol) But I use others too, it all depende on the situation. And my friends are getting sick of it!(lol)
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 29, 2003 05:41
Unfortunately I live in Sweden, where we talk Swedish, so I can't use English that often. If I want to use some lines I have to speak for myself, because my family is tired of all these LotR-lines. Though I'm driving my friends crazy when I'm talking Elvish. (I'm learning Sindarin)
The lines I've begun to use some of the lines here, on CoE, when I'm writing. My favourite one is "Though..I do not know the way". And "Fool of a Took" always works. You just have to be careful so you're not saying it to someone who hasn't seen LotR. I did that yesterday.
I really enjoy singing, so I often discover myself with singing:

Hey ho! to the bottle I go,
To heal my heart and drown my woe.
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
But there still be...many miles to go,

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain
And the stream that falls from hill to plain,
Better than rain or rippling brook
Is a mug of beer inside this Took!

Gil-galad_of_Lindon
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2003 06:18
I sing that all the time! And whenever this one guy at my church, Nate, hears or sees me do something that is obviously LOTR related he mentions how 'At least I got her off Star Trek!' (lol) Oh well, it's fun scaring people! :evil:
Sony
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2003 05:43
wow......... I use so many that I can't really think of the ones that I use most. but most of them are fairly subtle and only the lord of the geeks would notice them. although I do enjoy randomly saying "Mushrooms!" and I tend to sing Aniron and Breath of Life a lot. and I modify a lot of quotes to fit whatever situation. ooooo yesssss...... the pants quotes.... mostly when under the influence of safari hats.:dizzy:[ they make me a lil nutty]
soph-cat
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2003 10:10
i use to many XD.

i say "namarie" all the time, to everyone, they'll all go "HUH???" then i have to explain. tsk tsk.

"the____ ____ so ____, we could have shot him/her in dark."
yea, i use that alot, just replacing the blanks to be relevant. highly versatile, very useful insult.

eowynshue
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 12, 2003 10:04
i tend to talk like gollum when i'm annoyed with someone over the internet, calling them "ssstupid" and "nasssty". also works for schoolwork and exams, e.g sssstupid nassty coursssework, we hatesss it, yesss preciousss, it burnsss us. have freaked out many a friend with gollum quoting! lol

whenever i get the house to myself i go round doing my best galadriel impression, am getting quite good

i always sing merry and pippins drinking song and the road goes ever on and on. i luv those songs :love:

and i this doesnt count as something that i say often, but when i went to germany in march we went to cologne cathedral. its so huge, tall and awe-inspiring! when i got in there i actually said "well theres an eye opener and no mistake" ! its much nicer than moria, but it just gave me that feeling sam gets in there
kingurl
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2003 01:35
I tend to quote random lines of Elvish..............a lot............even though I can't speak most of it and the lines have nothing to do with what I'm talking about

-The road song...........I sing it all the time.

-The Hobbit-y drinking song-I love it.

thats it for now
Lady~of~the~Shield~Arm
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2003 07:03
There are no Quotes from LotR I use in real life... But I LOVE the following quotes:

- "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins

- "What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good on this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?" –Gandalf

- "He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom." –Gandalf

- "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends." - Gandalf :heart: :love: This one is my Favorite!

- "It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: someone has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them." -Frodo And I love this one too!

Love,
Ann
DaughterofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2003 05:08
I'm not a big drinker but I love "It comes in pints" I use it whenever possible. I also like "We've had one breakfast yes, but what about second breakfast". I find that can be used in many situations simply by replacing the word breafast with whatever you happen to be talking about.
Soulbound: Book 1 in the Song of Souls trilogy, http://tiny.cc/TheAdventureBegins
Gelmir_Anarion
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2004 11:13
I like the bit in TTT when Gollum catches a couple of rabbits and Sam says
"Everyone knows there is only one way to eat a brace of cronnies"

Also the part where Gandalf and Frodo are talking in the mines of Moria when Gandalf has no knowldege of which path to take. A lot of good thought provoking comments in that bit.

~One_of_the_Dunedain~
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2004 04:38
I tend to tell people they're "Stupid fat hobbit"s LOL
Also, "There is still hope"
and "Precioussssss"
along with "our only wish, to catch a fish, so juicy sweeet!" you know, when you get hungry
and " In the end, its only a passing thing, this shadow"
"I wish I could have seen him, one last time"
Its weird that i dislike arwen so much but its her I always quote

[Edited on 4/3/2004 by ~One_of_the_Dunedain~]
Lady_Anie
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2004 01:08
"My precious!" I actually said that once without thinking! And I use "you shall not pass!"
Jemima
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2004 01:34
Besides all the great ones listed, we use

"I am no man!"
"A diversion." - because my son hates it so much
"I am quite ready for another adventure." - because I am.
"I'm back."
"Let's go find some food."
"Except you've never done a full day's work."
"What say you!"
"Aim for the trolls!"
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: March 06, 2004 11:55
I'm always trying to worm book/movie lines into a conversation. I've used:

"Oh that's nice! Ash on my tomatoes!"

when someone suggests something difficult: "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep"...and.."Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly!"

"you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission, quest...thing."

"Fool of a Took!"

"What is this new devilry?"

"Noodles! Ninnyhammer!"

when someone complains to me: "Why do you lay these troubles on an already troubled mind? Can you not see, your (friend/co-worker,etc.) is wearied by your malcontent, your war-mongering." (in my mind only!)

when I'm lost/confused/mistaken: "I think we might have made a mistake leaving the Shire, Pippin."

when hungry, the whole orc routine: "I'm starvin'. We ain't had nothin' but maggoty bread for three stinkin' days. Yeah, why can't we have some meats. What about them? They're fresh. They're not for eating. What about their legs? They don't need those. Ooh, they look tasty."

"Sneaky little hobbitses. Wicked, tricksey, false."

Also the whole "tater" routine whenever I see potatoes: "What's taters, Precious? what's taters? Po-tat-toes! Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew"...etc, etc.

Also have a few lines memorized from the book. "Walking Song", "Riddle of Strider", a few others that I try to work in whenever possible. I get a lot of strange looks!

[Edited on 7/3/2004 by LinweSingollo]
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Aramley
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2004 07:32
We have exams coming up soon, so I often say to my friends "Are you frightened?", then when they say yes, "Not nearly frightened enough!" I love that quote!
Caradhriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2004 01:14
I've found myself refering to my boyfriend as Precious, when talking to him, or My Precious when talking about him. Not sure what he thinks about that, but since he's also a LotR fan, it's all good.

There's a girl I work with that we've dubbed Gollum. She really is Gollum in human female form.

I also call people Fool of a Took when they're being moronic.

"They have a cave troll" seems to crop up quite a bit as well.

Can't really think of any others right now...
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2004 08:28
I use "Taters? What's taters precious?" "Po-ta-toes! Boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew!" or parts thereof quite often (especially if I'm making mashed potatoes ).

Any time we have fish & chips, I have to say "Give it to us raw and wrrrrrrriggling. You keep nasty chips!"

Also quite fond of "Oh that's nice! Ash on my tomatoes!" at random intervals.

My friend/fellow LOTR obsessive Abi and I call each other Precious, and I call people tricksy quite often too.

I sing Gollum's pool song (so juicy SWEET! is also used on its own) sometimes, when I feel bored and the conversation needs some randomness.

There are many others I use, but to list them all would take forever... Oh, just watch the trilogy. I use them all.
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2004 02:20
wicked... tricksy... false!
Stupid, fat hobbitses!
now... onto the non-insults...
"But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
errrmmm... can't think today! well, i don't use quotes all that much in normal conversation (when that rarity actually occurs.. very very uncommon happening...) but I do have a tendency to mutter quotes to myself, which probably has something to do with why I very rarely have a "normal conversation". ya think? *grin*
Krazi4Kirby
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2004 05:43
I end up saying "My Precious" a lot, and then when I play with my Sting sword I always think of, "This is Sting. You've seen it before. Release him, or I'll cut your throat!" lol then certain things will happen and people will ask me who's side I'm on, and I will say, "Side? I am on no one's side, because no one is on my side."
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2004 08:14
hmm....

random elvish words/phrases
"My precioussss"
"If you want (him, her, it, as the case may be) come and claim (him, her, it)
Pippins song! I sing that all the time!
also the drinking song
crud- I know theres more but they aren't coming to the top of my head...maybe the act that it's after midnight over here has something to do with it
Minyaisilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2004 07:39
LOL! Man, you people are nuts! You need help.

I don't quote LOTR often but once I walked into my room and said loudly "where now are the horse and the rider?" in a bad Shakespearian accent. My sister didn't have a clue where I got it from and I decided not to tell her.

Another time we were watching the Home Shopping network and they were showing off some rings. My sister is like "you know you want that" and I'm like "mmmm, preciousssssss"
lindele
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 20, 2004 06:55
I don't quote very much in conversation beyond precioussss, fool of a Took, stupid fat hobbit, and you shall not pass, but my absolute favorite phrase from the movies/books is "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
frodo_baggins_of_theShire
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2004 04:19

I used this one to cheer up my dad

Pippin: I didn't think it would end this way.

(Gandalf looks at him in surprise.)

Gandalf: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.

(Pippin listens hopefully, as the sounds of the battle around them fade.)

Pippin: What? Gandalf? See what?

Gandalf: White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Pippin: Well, that isn't so bad.

Gandalf: No. No, it isn't.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email