Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
MysteryP
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: What LotR quotes do you use most often?
on: May 11, 2004 04:05
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo?"
Is one of my favorites. I´m going to make a sign for the door with that and:
"Good Morning!" "What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?" "All of them at once"

Also, when I´m having breakfast, I remember food quotes, such as the one where Legolas says some Lembas bread is enugh for a man, and Pippin says he ate four. I like the one where Merry says Aragorn might not know about second breakfast, too.

Then the one where Gandlaf says a wizard arrives precisely when he wants, My Precioussssss...
SugerCaine21
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2004 06:35
Let's see, I use lots, to many perhaps. The common ones

"Fool of a Took"
"It's mine, my own, my precious"
"But what about second breakfast?"
"The race of men is weak"
"Frodo would never have got far without Sam"
Anything Tom ever says. I started an english assignment (a letter to Brutus about whether or not he should kill Caesar) with "Hey come merry dol derry dol Brutus my darling" and my friend next to me is writing hers from Eowyn.

That's all I can think of right now.
kazbels
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2004 08:00
Also i use "Not Listening! Not Listening!" in a Gollum voice, hands over ears... Usualy when someone tells me LOTR isn't real!*mummbles* ssstupid fat elvsssess!

Must remember to do this when my husband tries to tell me LoTR isn't real! :rolling:

I say Mae govannen all the time now. People sorta look crosswise at me.

One of my cats is named Precious, not LoTR-related, just 'cause that how she looked when we got her. Nowadays, I go round the house, saying "My Precioussss". Freaks her out.

Of course, "You shall not pass!"

And my last favorite, that I yell at my younger son (22) when he annoys me is "Natha daged dhaer! (They are all going to die!)

[Edited on 12/5/2004 by kazbels]
Sodrius
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2004 09:55
"They stoleses it from usssss..."

You won't believe how often that one crops up.
MerenwenTelemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 10:04
my usual quotes:
In western lands beneath the sun the waters may rise in spring, the trees may bud the waters run the merry finches sing, for there may be some cloudless nights of baying beaches bare, the elven stars and moon alight beneath their brnaching hair and here at journey's end i lie....(end i lie) did i hear someone singing too?

precious!

it smells like...well i wouldn't like to say

what are taters precious what are taterfry em' mash em' cook em' in a stew
oh what i'd do for a bunch of lovely gold potaters

we'll be nice to them, if tehy bw nice to us

but they jumped on us like cats on poor mices they did yes they did

soft and quick as shadows we must be

ohh tom bombadil, 4 our need is near us

well ahh mr underhill, if old butterber got ur name right

:heart: well those are the quotes i most commonly say, and no i did not look in a book 4 them!!!
Miss_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 02:04
the one quote I use most often?: "You shall not pass"
Ninquelas_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2004 04:12
I have many:
"Boe a hun: nedled heran dan caer mening!"

"Shall I describe it to you? Or would you like me to find you a box?"

"That still only counts as one!"

"Le ab-dollen. You look terrible."

"I think I'm quite ready ready for another adventure."

"Salted Pork?"

The final conversation between Legolas and Gimli: G- "Never thought I'd die fighting side by side with an Elf." L- "What about side by side with a friend?" G- "Aye, I could do that."

"42? That's not bad for a pointy-ear Elvish Princeling. I myself are sitting pretty on 43."

I have many more, but I won't put them all.
I_Luv_Frodo
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2004 09:29
I love :love: to use the quote:

"What must I do?"

I use it allllll the time!!
MirkwoodElfCiarrai
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2004 05:15
My little brother 3years old
alway goes around saying "My Preciousssss!" :love:
but One quote i sometimes
use is Stupid Fat Hobbit

[Edited on 5/11/2004 by MirkwoodElfCiarrai]
lotr_fanatic
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2004 04:43
i really would love to use all of these but i keep forgetting to put it into my conversations. and plus every time i say sth like that, my 'sort of like lotr' friends will stare at me and demand a whole explanation of who said that line, where and why i said it now so it takes a lot of the fun out of it because they cannot easily recognize the lines.

but besides that i do use 'my preciousss' a lot and i say 'fool of a took' quite often too.
luthienkenobi
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2004 11:05
I say Hola! to everybody I see know now!! I also say :
"You cannot pass!"
"Hannon Le"
"Mellon"
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2004 05:51
Wow! You guys have me in stitches! Funny stuff. I can't think of any lines I use regularly except one, which has probably already been mentioned.

"Where are we going?"

I say it to my mom, in a Pipin accent and everything. She thinks I'm nuts.

Also, when Smeagol/Gollum was first introduced in TTT, me and my brother made our parrot an alternate personality. We both can do the Smeagol voice very well, so we just applied it to our bird. Whenever he says something, we make it Gollumish. In example, he makes a groaning noise and we say, "Smeagol doesn't like it!" or "Smeagol hates nasssty hobbitssess!"

Yeah. I'm nuts. :dizzy: :disco: :rolling: :twitch: :banghead:
Sam_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 09:56
When I say things in person it is typically something like.

"You shall not pass!" Or "You shall not pants!" Depending on my mood.

kellymulder
CoE Volunteer & Seagull of Ulmo
Send Message
on: June 12, 2005 04:29
well.. I don't use them often, but last week I was late for English class and my teacher was waiting for me at the door. She said to me "You're late kelly" and I couldn't resist answering "a wizard is never late, madam... nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to." She gave me a very weird look *grins*
I also say "you're late" quite often when someone is late
Mrs_Boyd
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2005 12:32
Hm...the quotes I use the most are usually "Somethings not right here, not right at all," or ,"He's clearly over reactin!" but I'm my mother's puppet, and she makes me quote it all the time, for example...
"SAMWISE GAMGEE! Have you been eaves dropping?!" etc

"You've been into Farmer Maggot's crop!" etc
or, she hasn't done this in a while...
"BILBO BAGGINS!" etc...
elvishmusician
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 20, 2005 12:51
Hahaha...when my students tell me that I'm late in the morning I tell them: "A teacher is never late. Nor is she early. She arrives precisely when she means to!"
LOL one of my teachers did that only he quoted it slightly wrong said something like -'a teacher is never late he arrives precisely when he means to.'

My favourite lines are whenever anyone asks me how many -I say 'ten thousand'

'He is here' or 'They're here, they've come.' whenever someone comes to the door.

My sis and I tend to quote the 'He's clearly over reactin' a lot (though we usually substitute the 'he' or a 'she' .

When I'm really not enjoying something eg a school assignment -I call it wicked tricksy false then have an argument with myself over whether its a friend or not. eg 'Nasty assignments, wicked tricksy false.' 'But assignments is a friend -it teaches a lots of preciousss things' 'No it keepss uss up until morning -we hates it burnss it all up' 'No, no' and so on (this especially begins to happen if I'm working on an assignment after about 2am in the morning :blush: ).

I tend to randomly quote the 'One Ring to rule them all -one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them, in the land of Mordor where the shadows lie'

Also 'I would have gone with you to the end...'

And many others really randomly (just when they come to mind) :disco:
Princess_Sailasiri
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2005 04:24
I use the "a wizard is never late nor is his early, he always arrives precisely when he means too" quite often when I'm bantering with my sisters.

We also use Gollum's quote of "We don't like you" in random situations. My sister can do it perfectly, she does an excellent Gollum impression!
Morna_Child_of_Eru
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2005 05:50
I really need to come back and finish reading this, but Morna should be resting... (hehe)

Ok, here's mine.

First, my pastor several years ago nicknamed my best friend "potatoes" (don't ask), so you can imagine the milliage I get out that one.

I also have tendancy to leave my stuff in harm's way (like having my LotR books on the table when we're trying to make dinner), so when I go to retrieve the item, I say "mustn't hurt precious."

Gollum can also help with subtle complaining, like when the pastor turns the music up too loud (a 25-year-old thinks a 53-year-old's music is too loud, go figure), I can say stuff like "we don't like loud noises, does we precious? Not at all my love."

Then of course Gollum can turn into a weatherman. "Curse the rain, we hates it we hates it!"
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: October 04, 2005 04:14
All you have to decide is what to do with the time given you. LOTR-page 50. I do quote that alot.
Awelyn 418
GOLOTR
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 08:38
"My Preciosssss....." definitly - i use it ALLL the time!!
i found that when im bored i write "One ring to rule them all, One RIng to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in darkness bind them" on a lot of my books and note books!!
kingofnoldor
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2006 06:08
I quote these often...

when someone says I like that I say "My Preciouss" or "It's MiNE! And no others!"
When someone hits me, I mutter "Why does it hurt poor Smegol..."
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2006 06:24
I always mutter 'Stupid fat hobbit' behind peoples backs when they're mean to me.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: September 22, 2006 06:32
I like to say Havo dad to my younger brother all the time. I don't know why . . .
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2007 07:26
my precious, I use that one a lot!!!!!!!!

I have more but have to think about them for a minute...oh yes, and me and my best friend love doing the scene when Pippin talks about getting his second breakfast, I'm always Pippin. Or whenever I'm hungry about having breakfast I always quote that line.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2007 07:27
ooo wait! one more! I always say, Tell me where is *someone* for I much desire to speak with him/her. that one is fun.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2007 10:38
I use so many things from lotR, I cannot even remember it. Just about every sentence and anything else is from LotR. I use my, presoiussssss a lot. Other things I use include boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew, The intorduction to the Fellowship, and many that I cannot think of.
Tofu
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2007 01:54
Unfortunately, other members of my family are just as geeky about LotR as I am. They feed my insanity. Some of the lines you're most likely to hear in our company are:

"Gondor has no king..."
"They have a cave troll." (Whenever something ruins a good time or makes a bad day worse)
"Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew." (Usually about children, actually)
"Go back to the shadows!"

As well, of course, as any particular scene that one of us starts reciting. We do the same thing for the movies Labyrinth and Much Ado About Nothing too.
golden_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2007 06:06
I have started to exclaim "What in Ilúvatar's name", or "Eru" whenever I am surprised.
I call my brother with his Elven name, and he uses mine too.
Sometimes I say "Holy Valar!" And I wish people called me by my elvish name! It's so cool that you and your brother do it.

As for quotes... not so much. I used to have tons of poems from the books running around in my mind, and sometimes I would say them. There's also a few quotes from the Silmarillion running around in my mind as well... like, "High shall climb the trees of Kementari, that the Eagles of the King may house therein!" (I love that one, as you can see from my sig).
Also, "Wilt thou therefor take Turin Turambar, wilt thou slay me swiftly?" *sob sob sob* And there's also a Feanor one that I just remembered: "None and none!"

I don't actually say any quotes, though. Are there any good one's that you people can suggest??

peace to all!
Golden.

PS: I can't wait till I learn Sindarin: then I can go around yelling in elvish and freek everyone out! just joking)
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2007 11:25
Whenever my sister and I hear someone coming towards us, we automatically go, "Drums...Drums, in the deep...We cannot get out...They are coming."

And yes, I have taken the name of Eru in vain, many, many times!
IthilionofMirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2007 11:59
don't really quote much, but intend to start

will probably use "fool of a Took," "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!", "a wizard is never late" and a few others. must also remember to include a "give up the ______ she-elf!" for any random object a girl is holding that i want at a given moment
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2007 11:13
Today I was trying to get this guy on my bus to shut up but my sister kept talking to him. I told her "Don't encourage it" but I don't think she got the joke...
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2007 01:59
Mostly stuff from Gandalf.
Aegor
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 10, 2007 12:08
I use the "I would have you smile again" line whenever someone's feeling sad (usually doesn't work though ).

"Precious", of course, but I say it with Gandalf's accent (from the scene when he's smoking and thinking in Bag End) and not Gollum's.

And I yell "DEATH!" before my every exam , seriously, it became like a tradition to me.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
A couple....

"It comes in Pints?"
&
“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
"It burns us, Precious! It burns us!" Don't know why I like it, but it's appropriate when something bothers me. LOL
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email