Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First56789Last >>
Author Topic:
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
*Lifts silvery baby dragon out of shell* My, you are a pretty one. *scratches behind the little baby's ears* Blaze! Come see the new dragie! *Blaze walks over and stares at the baby, then sniffs it, and then starts nuzzling it*

In answer to your question, Alex, I am not sure. I suppose there probably are.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
I think most dragons are less than gregarious as a rule but if the young are caught early enough they develop their natural friendliness. No worries though, this egg was abandoned so I can't see that any big dragon would come looking for it... he..she. What is it Mareth?
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
*Guruthos spotted LS walking in the Forest, he wanted to be with his master but he was unable to land, so he opened his jaws and let out a blast of fire and started to burn the trees to create a big enough landing space. He landed* “Master did you find the Dragonlet and how did you come to this what did those Elves do to you?” “Yes Guruthos I saw the Dragon it has been taken to Elrond. The noobs did this to me, they stripped me of the Elvish armour that I stole and carried me out of that Elf infested place and threw me on a rock. My armour and sword are still in Rivendell” “What would you like me to do?” “Take me to ES she must hear of what happened perhaps she can get into Rivendell” *LS climbed onto Guruthos, the Dragon immediately took flight and flew towards where ES was camping* “By the way Master another Dragon egg has hatched. The Queen will meet us at the campsite” “After we meet up with the Queen and ES, I need you to take me to Mordor as I need new armour and a sword”
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
*Walks over to the baby dragon in Mareth's arms* .... I've never seen one up so close since.... *pauses and takes a shaky breath* *places hand on the squirming dragon's little head* *whispers* Galu. *in normal voice* Take great care of it. Train it well, and it will be your reward.
Eglerio Eru o I gely bân siriar. (Praise God from Whom all blessing flow)
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
*Looks quizzically at Alex* I will. This is my second baby dragon. Blaze is my other, but he is now full grown. This one is a girl, Tarc. *smiles down at the baby in my arms* I wonder what a good name would be...
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
*the Queen arrives at the campsite, having been notified by Guruthos that L_S is heading for Barad-dûr to speak to The Dark Lord*

"Greetings, my Queen!"

"You have information for me?" *the Queen lands and turns her golden eye to ES*

"Yes. L_S has met up with some noobs who tossed him out of Imladris." *laughs*

"Guruthos is going to carry him to Lieutenant Sauron."

*ES steps back* "Lieutenant? I don't think he will appreciate the demotion."

*the Queen snorts* "As far as I'm concerned that's his rank, Lord Morgoth did not increase his rank, and I serve only the true Dark Lord."

*ES decides not to pursue this conversation, preferring to broach an even more sensitive subject* "If Guruthos is carrying L_S to Barad-dûr, I have no hope of getting there before him .... unless you carry me."

*the Queen chuckles* "You think I would agree to that?"

*ES straightens her shoulders and steps forward* "I understand that if you know a dragon's name, the dragon becomes beholden to you." *Quickly adds* "I would never presume to ask you to be beholden to me, only that you accept that I need your help, and that you will offer it freely."

*the golden eye narrows* "And you think you know my name do you?"

*ES* "Yes, I do."

*Queen* "You may guess if you like." *chuckles*

"You're Queen Haldamírë .... Ancalagon's "Hidden Jewel." *ES feels the shock ripple through the Queen*

"How do you know this? Who told you?"

*ES quickly steps back* "I am not required to tell you how I came by this knowledge. By your leave, I only ask that you carry me to Barad-dûr. When we get there, you may leave, or remain to assist me in the future. I honour your rank by giving you the choice, although by rights my naming you does not extend to you this courtesy."

*the Queen remains quiet for some time* "Very well, I will honour the agreement my ancestors made between dragons and the others who serve the Dark Lord. I will carry you, and I will agree to serve you until this matter is sorted out. Do you have a saddle you can modify?"

*ES smiles* "That's not a problem, my Queen." *She disappears and returns with a saddle that fits perfectly* "Are you comfortable, my Queen? No pinching? No uneven weight distribution?"

*the Queen begins to rise from the ground and grumbles* "Everything is fine. In thinking on it, this is the perfect opportunity to see what the Lieutenant is up to these days."

*ES does not respond as she it too enthralled with the sight of the beautiful countryside unfolding before her*

(Edited for paragraph breaks and dialogue changes - quotation marks for words spoken. Sorry, just a habit from one who beta'ed many fan fictions!! - Belle)

[Edited on 03/07/2014 by BelleBayard]
tarcolan
Send Message
[Ever heard of paragraph blank lines E~S? And I see you are well up on dragon lore, but don't forget it works both ways. Keep your true name secret. Winky smiley.]

So we seem to be to be short of a quest. For myself, I would return to the PP and peruse the contents of the chest we found. I feel there is some portent there, but then I would, wouldn't I? That's assuming that Barliman hasn't sold it, or thrown it out. Would Blaze mind doing a quick reccy, see what's afoot? Then we can decide.

[P.S. Oh and I think you meant sight, not site E~S. Yeah, some of us do read your posts. Smiley smiley.]

[P.P.S. Have you noticed I'm using square brackets for OOC comments? In fact, OOC and OORPG! In future these will be known as Oocoor comments. Hang on, that's just real life, isn't it?]

[Edited on 03/06/2014 by tarcolan]
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Sounds like a plan. Please do as Tarc says, Blaze. *he nods then flies off, keeping low so as not to be spotted by any others who may be flying about*
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
*Guruthos flew over the Black Gate, the countless orcs moved aside as the Dragon landed. LS got off and marched towards Barad-Dur. LS pushed open the doors and marched straight into the throne room. on the throne guarded by large Uruks was Sauron, his right index finger was still missing. LS bowed* "I have been watching you LS via this Palantir. you are beginning to stray from your mission. I thought a man of your stature could easily capture a baby Dragon." "There is something about this Dragon that I can not figure out just yet. it was welcomed into Rivendell which has never happened before. Usually the Elves would kill a dragon. I will find out why Elrond wants this dragon and inform you straight away" *LS bowed and left the throne room he went to the armoury and retrieved a set of black armour and a new sword. he went outside and found Guruthos snacking on some orcs* "I was hungry and there are heaps off them, so why couldn't I eat some" *LS laughed and looked up and saw Queen Dragon flying towards him*

Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
*Raises an eyebrow at Mareth's quizzical expression* *turns an interested look after Blaze* Good for you.
tarcolan
Send Message
And a blessing on you too, Alex.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Well, I don't suppose sitting around here is doing us much good. Tarc is there any food left? This little baby is looking hungry. *baby dragon nibbles at the braid over my shoulder* I can't imagine that tastes very good.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
@ Tarc .... what do you expect from a laptop? Perfection ... I think not. It certainly can't be the typist. And, yes I do know paragraphing, they just aren't a priority for us evil doers. Finally, what is my name?

*ES and the Queen arrive at Barad-dûr and circle the great tower* You'll never fit into the bailey with Guruthos there, but there's a large platform on the north side of the battlements that will be perfect. *the Queen begins her descent*

P.S. Your dragons seem a mite small if a full-grown one can fit into the Prancing Pony, I don't think we have anything to worry about.

[Edited on 03/06/2014 by Evil~Shieldmaiden]
tarcolan
Send Message
[Talking of true names, have you read 'The Wizard Of Earthsea' trilogy?]

*firtling through food bag* There's some roast chicken here. Would dragie like that? *holds some out and nearly loses fingers* That's a yes I think.

Let's go back to the inn and ponder events. Which reminds me, Alex I don't suppose you read tengwar script do you? We found a book near the egg cave, so there may be some connection. A flagon of good ale wouldn't go amiss either. Or a hot chocolate eh Mareth?
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
ES, he's not so small. Blaze has just learned the art of squishing himself into a much smaller form when the need arises. Don't write him off as unimportant and scrawny just yet.

*Grins* Yes, hot chocolate sounds mighty fine right about now. Or coffee. *smacks lips* We might as well get a move on. Want to come along, Alex? The Prancing Pony has some excellent dinner options.
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
*Smiles slightly at the eagerness of the hungry hatchling* *snaps out of memory* Oh, I regret to say that I have no familiarity with Tengwar scripts. And yes, I would very much like to pay a visit to the Prancing Pony.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
The tall Elf shook his head. "Evil has no business here in Rivendell. The Noobs have a strange liking for your little dragon." he said to Erwedraith and Lindarielwen. The two Elves looked at each other and smiled.

"We have come here seeking refuge and a place to train Amethysia without interference." said Erwedraith. "She seems, however to have her own ideas about her training." Amethysia jumped up and down, flapping her wings as she left the ground and flew above the trees before coming back to her Dragondaddy and Dragonmommy. "Good girl," said Lindarielwen. All the Elves laughed as the little dragon puffed smoke along with a small burst of flame.

The small group neared the house of Elrond. Lindarielwen and Erwedraith could not help but stare at the majesty of the beautiful structure. "It is breathtaking," whispered Lindarielwen to Erwedraith. "Tis more grand than I imagined," he replied. "Wait here," said the tall Elf. "We will see if Lord Elrond is ready to receive you." The group of Elves left and Erwedraith and Lindarielwen sat on the ground and watched as Amethysia jumped and flapped her wings.

"We will begin a new adventure now that we are here in Rivendell." said Erwedraith. Lindarielwen nodded, "Yes, I look forward to spending many peaceful days here with you and Amethysia."

Erwedraith and Lindarielwen rested against a tree as the sun shone down between the branches and birds chirped a happy song from above.

Wow, this is my 10,000th post!

[Edited on 03/07/2014 by Lindarielwen]
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
[Mod comments - Wow... this story has really taken off. For ease of reading, I agree with the making them either in square brackets OR italics for OOC - out of character - comments. Keep on keeping on! ]
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
[It has indeed taken flight, Belle. I had no idea it would be this popular when I started it last year...]

Then you are welcome to join us on our return journey, Alex. *places new baby dragon in a sling that's across my shoulders so that my hands are free* *helps Tarc with the packing up* *grabs staff* Let's go, then. *heads off in the direction of the Prancing Pony*

[Edited on 03/08/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
tarcolan
Send Message
[You forgot the square brackets. It makes OOC comments clearer and allows the use of italics in the story, which is sometimes useful. And it's my idea so it's brilliant. I wonder where this thread will migrate to next?]

Oh that's just dandy. Someone must know how to read that book, otherwise I'm going to have to learn tengwar and invent discover what it says. Who's idea was it to send the horses home by the way? Alex, tell us a story while we walk. Mine don't go down too well. Or we could sing?

Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
[@ Tarc .... I have, in fact, read The Wizard Of Earthsea' trilogy, although it was many years ago.
@ Belle .... Thanks for updating my entry. I was planning on correcting it but never got around to it.
]
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
*Adjusts quiver on back* Very well . . . I shall tell you a story. That is, if Mareth wants to hear it as well.

[Edited on 03/08/2014 by Alexanda]
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
[I fixed me post, Tarc.]

Oh yes, do tell us your story. *adjusts sling* Funny how quickly baby dragons seems to gain weight....
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
Well then, here goes... [the story is in italics]

A lone traveller was walking through the woods on his way from Rohan to Rivendell. As he was walking, suddenly he heard a sound off to the side: the rustling and cracking of leaves. Slowly and smoothly, his hand went to the bow that was slung across his shoulder... and waited for whatever was there.

Suddenly, a little creature darted out from behind a tree and charged towards him. Immediately, upon reaching him, the creature bared its little teeth and took a bite at the boot. The man was perplexed. He watched as the little thing tried to get a piece of the meat that rested inside the leather boot. Bite after bite it went, its tiny wings fluttering about rapidly.

Slowly, the traveller dig into his satchel and took out a chunk of meat. Then he bent and took hold of the food-obsessed creature gently by the back of the neck and pulled him away of the boot. He brought the meat closer to the squirming thing in his hand... and nearly lost his other hand.

Now that he got a better look at it, he was amazed. It was grey in color, covered in scales, and a line of horns running down its spine and tail. It also had a tiny horn on its forehead.

The creature now toppled to the ground, looked up at him, and cocked its head. "What the flaming blazes are you?" it seemed to say. Satisfied that it was going to be alright, the traveller turned and continued on his way.

*Stares ahead in a dreamy manner*
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
*Listens intently to Alex's story, but doesn't want to say anything, lest I interrupt his storytelling mood*

[Edited on 03/08/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
*Takes a deep breath*

Later that night, the traveller had already passed the woods and now was setting up camp in the grassy plain. Just as he finished building a camp fire and was settling down, another rustle was heard. His hand went to the knife that laid at his side. The rustling grass grew more vivid, and out of them came... the little creature!

It took one look at the man, and ran towards him. He was surprised. "What are you doing here?" he said. "You wouldn't want your mother to catch me with you, do you?" Of course, it didn't answer, and it indicated to him that it wanted another portion of his rations.

And so the two stayed together. The traveller forgot about his trip to Rivendell, and soon realized that the creature's mother was most likely not going to come for its baby. So he took it in.

The bond between the two grew, and through the next few weeks, as the creature grew, the traveller taught his companion some tricks with flying, fire-breathing, and attack forms. The two of them were best friends and were together most of the time.

It grew to be only a few weeks old.... never older...
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
*Pats Alex's shoulder* I'm sorry. It must be hard to lose a dragon buddy. What did you name it?
tarcolan
Send Message
This is a great story Alex. And I've never heard anyone speak in italics before. Is there any more?
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
Well... yes, tarc. *smiles at Mareth* You're fast. Its name was Mithlach. Well, we're here at the Prancing Pony. I'll finish my story inside. *once we're in the inn, sitting at a table* So, anyway...

See, I've trained that dragon to face many kinds of enemies, from swordsmen to heavy cavalry. But there's one which I've forgotten to teach it to face; one which I didn't expect it to be needing to stand up to -- its own kind.

I was travelling across the plains, and Mithlach was off somewhere looking for a meal. Suddenly a big dragon landed off to my side. It wasn't as big as how Smaug probably was, but it was still bigger than me, full-grown, and covered in black scales. It's attention was on me, and it seemed to be much intent on killing somebody, or something. I didn't know it then, but it was actually looking for my dragon friend.

Immediately I drew my sword, but it was faster than I expected. It's strong, clawed strike knocked my sword out of my hand. I was facing this black dragon defenceless, except with a knife and bow which is not useful against this creature.

Suddenly, out of the blue, a grey streak attacked the enemy dragon like an eagle. "NO!!" I looked for my sword, which was laying at one side. I glanced back and saw that the two dragons were facing each other, judging, evaluating. As I dashed to the sword, I mentally berated myself for losing it: I cannot lose my weapon. That's the number 1 principle in swordsmanship.

As I retrieved the blade, I heard a squeal. Spinning around, I saw what had happened: the enemy had pounced on its much smaller opponent, and now had it in its jaws. During the short second pause, time seemed to stand still, and Mithlach looked at me with those black eyes of his, before I heard the heart-piercing crunching of bones, and the final squeal.

It took me a few seconds to get my bearings, and then, overcome with anger and grief, I charged towards the black creature, sword held high. With its cause apparently satisfied, it tossed the limp body aside and rose to the air, and out of sight.

There's nothing much left to say except that I mourned over the death of my friend, and eventually buried him, right at the spot where he drew his last breath.

*In the inn, lifts up one leg to rest on another in a cross-leg position* *runs fingers gently along the side of the boot, where teeth marks still remain*

[Edited on 03/09/2014 by Alexanda]
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
*Shakes head sadly* I'm very, very, sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how I'd feel if something were to happen to Blaze or my new baby. *holds baby dragon tighter to self* *Blaze comes around from the outside and stands on the other side of the window we are sitting by* Find anything out? [And I can't think of what he should say....Tarc?? ] [And just so everybody knows, my dragon does talk. ]
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
*Gives a sad smile* It was a while ago. You're fortunate that you got to keep Blaze -- and have a new baby. * looks at Blaze* Every time I think of it, I felt the urge to find the black dragon. But I know that it's a useless idea.
tarcolan
Send Message
But that's awful. I thought...when you said...I'm... so sorry. A few weeks you say? *takes a deep swig of ale* What are we talking here? Three, four weeks? It doesn't matter, it's still a terrible thing to lose a friend. I can see how you might want to exact revenge on the black dragon. I have a feeling we have crossed her path before. We will help you in any way we can, won't we Mareth? And wolfie? Yes we know you're here.

Now I must take a look at the book in the chest while Blaze is eating. Barliman! Have you kept my chest secret? Is it safe? *Barliman disappears and returns with chest* Excellent man. May your ale never turn sour. Let's see....yes, here it is. Naryl seemed to remember it, and the other things. What could that mean?

[Good news. A more readable version of the original Dragon Eggspedition may soon be available. Yes I know, I'm nuts.]
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
Most importantly, I want to know why it, or she as you say, was targeting Mithlach. And I thank you for your offer.

*Leans over to see the pages of the book in Tarc's hands* What is it?
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, of course we will, Tarc. *frowns slightly, thinking* I've seen dark shapes flying around here recently. Perhaps it's the black dragon?

Hm...*stares at book* *mutters* Wish I could read Elvish...*looks around* What happened to Naryl anyway?

[It will be very nice once it is in readable order, Tarc. ]

[Edited on 03/10/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
tarcolan
Send Message
Yes, how did I know the black dragon was black? And a she? Weird. The one we saw was pink, or was it just me saw it as pink? Well then.... it was dark! Yes. That'll do. It was dark so we don't know what colour it is. What is? No idea. Haven't seen a dragon, ignore me.

So Blaze, what news from the skies? *Blaze points to throat* Lost your voice eh? *Blaze nods* OK, can you write? *Blaze shakes head* Rats! Did you see a dragon? *Blaze stares into middle distance* No comment eh? Fair enough, we can hardly expect you to welch on another dragon, evil or no. *Blaze nods vigorously* So which way did she go? *Blaze points south-east, then slaps forehead* Gotcha! Aww, don't worry, we won't tell. So, she went to the place we do not name, Mordor. Hmmm. I'm guessing she'll be back.

So anyhoo, this chest. Listen, I've been thinking. We set out on a quest to find dragon eggs and get attacked. As if by magic Naryl turns up and saves us. Then we find a cave with eggs in, and nearby I dig a hole (thanks to wolfie's tender heart) and find a chest, this chest. Against all the odds Naryl recognises some of the contents. Something strange is going one here don't you think? Naryl, lost memory, missing brother, dragon... it's all connected somehow. And now you, Alex. There is more than one power at work here or I'm a chickasaw mudpuppy.
<< First56789Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email