Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Orca
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: What age are you and what education level?
on: February 14, 2003 05:10
In my school we don't have a choice between English Lang and Lit, so we just do Lit. What've you been studying? We're doing Hamlet, Jane Austen's Emma (which I hate! *lol*) and A Streetcar Named Desire, as well as various poems and stuff.

Yeah, English seems to be a good subject to take. ^^; Media's cool, sometimes the work's a bit repetitive but you do get to do some cool stuff (like filming! Whoohoo!)
Grade 3-6
0% (0)
Grade 7-9
25% (5)
Grade 10-12
24% (4)
College (age 18-25)
12% (2)
University (same)
17% (3)
Age 26-30
4% (9)
Age 31-38
5% (1)
Age 39-45
5% (1)
Older than listed above
5% (1)
Why should I even tell you how old I am? *growls*
1% (3)
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: February 14, 2003 05:30
yuck i was hopeing they would go back to the old a level system i dont like these new fangled as levels

how old do i sound! lol i only left 6th form 3 years ago!

seriously though i thought with the whole mess up last year they were going back to the old system?
Andtalathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2003 11:33
Yeah, that should be 8th grade. Your homeschooled? I am too!

Coool!
I know a couple of people online who are homeschooled!
Nobody else around here that I know is, though *sniff*
lotr_stalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2003 03:48
L. How can you be 14 yrs. old and in grade 12? or did i misunderstand? thats really young though! well to grad.
Lailothwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2003 07:28
i live in england and am 17 and doing my last year of school!!!!!
Mairwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2003 07:44
We've done Pride and Prejudice (I was okay with that, I like the book and we got to watch the video, Colin Firth :love: ), Pre 19th Century poetry, Othello (like the play but don't love it, not my favourite bit of Shakespeare) and selected poems by Seamus Heaney (grr).

Yeah it really doesn't look like they're getting rid of these stupid AS/A2 Levels. The Drama and English courses aren't that bad but in my school the Art course has proved disastrous. With the old A Level pupils were given a whole first year just to develop their skills and ideas and then spent the second getting their coursework together. But now because we have to give in half of our coursework at the end of the first year the work isn't of anywhere near the same standard and some of the exam boards are still marking at the same level which results in lower marks.
Orca
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2003 11:49
Urgh, don't even get me started on our Art course! It's awful... I have like three projects AND my personal study to do this month! *dies*
Fossegrim
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2003 12:22
I'm really impressed by the professionalism on this site. There are quite a few educated members. That is really nice to read.

I'm 29. I have a college degree in Business (accounting and marketing - boring!) This helped me through the next six years of my life.

B.A. Honours: English Literature (spec. Early Modern Lit.)
B.A. Honours: History (spec. Medieval/Early Modern hist.)
B.Ed. J/I/S: (able to teach grade 4 - 12)

M.A.: (I will be starting my M.A. in a couple of years) Financially, we can't afford more schooling right now.
Pint_sized_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2003 03:21
I'll be 20 in...1 month and 9 days. I'm in first year of University, and I'm working on a B.A. in Psychology, then I'm going out of town to University to get my B.A. in Criminology. I'm going to be a Forensic Psychologist. Or, if fate should decide to be nice to me, an actress.
PipPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2003 01:32
oh god, i'm one of the ancient ones!

I'm 32, and although I was a 4.0 student, half-way thru college I had a revelation. Organized schooling sucks!

Boromir's babe--woohoo on the homeschooling!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!
shenarwin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2003 03:49
I am 27 years old....and I am in the process of getting my masters degree.
Velian-Elgal
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2003 10:02
I'm turning 18 this year. I'm in a polytechnic institution, taking a diploma in Chemical Engineering. And I'll be graduating in 2 years time. After that, i'll be working for 2 years max, for exposure, before proceeding to uni.
tiberius
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2003 01:49
I'm 32, have a BSc (Hons) Microbiology, and am working towards PhD in a veterinary microbiology/immunology subject!

I'm really impressed that a couple of you are homeschooled-wish I had been. What's it like-do you feel that you miss out in any way or is it great?
Dawn-maiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2003 08:18
When I first read the answers in this thread a few weeks ago everyone was under 20 and I was too ashamed to answer. Now I feel better.
I'm 30. I have a diploma degree in History of Art and Archaeology, and now I'm a postgraduate student of Museology.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: March 06, 2003 08:54
Heh... Back in the old days we went through this, but I don't mind speaking up. I'm 50, will be 51 in October, I have 3 Associates Degrees, General Education, Cross Cultural Studies (Emphasis on Native Americans), and Nursing. Currently, I am working on my Bachelor's in Nursing and plan on going on to get my Master's so that I can become a Nurse Practitioner.
Kionurin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2003 11:05
I am 23yr. Last year I've get a bachelors degree now I'm continue my studie for master degree (speciality of biologist).
Alaghelediel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2003 05:40
I'm 15 and am a freshman in high school (9th grade). Nothing special about it - but it hasn't been as bad as everyone always makes it out to be. In fact, it's pretty fun. Hardly ever get homework, and it's nice to be out of the evil junior high and away from the annoying 7th graders we have this year. I hate our 2007 class (here, not the entire 2007 class).
shenarwin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2003 08:20
Heh... Back in the old days we went through this, but I don't mind speaking up. I'm 50, will be 51 in October, I have 3 Associates Degrees, General Education, Cross Cultural Studies (Emphasis on Native Americans), and Nursing. Currently, I am working on my Bachelor's in Nursing and plan on going on to get my Master's so that I can become a Nurse Practitioner.

You are my father's age.......Ah........Just joking. He is a big Lotr fan too. He was the one who got me started on Lotr when I was younger.
Gildor-Inglorion
Elvellon ar Pethdan
Send Message
on: March 07, 2003 09:15
Im 17 here. Junior in High School and looking to go into linguistics in College

sepdet
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2003 10:17
Just seventeen! Goodness gracious, GI, I feel like such a slacker! If you apply that elvish discipline to more traditional language studies, you'll go far.

How does it feel to be tutoring students twice your age, lad?

Education:
B.A. cum laude, Bryn Mawr College, Classical Studies
M.A. Tufts U, Classics
Perpetual Graduate Student Using Zeno's Paradox as a Paradigm For Earning Her PhD in Classics, University of CA at Irvine

Classics being Latin and Greek language, literature, archaeology, art, and history.

I've taught college freshman Latin with enough competence to receive compliments from students and faculty. Other classes I've taught include Greek and Latin Roots of English and Art History, where I was officially the TA but actually organizing, designing, and running several classes a week, including discussion of scholarly articles and writing/administering exams, so I call that teaching. I have actually been a bona-fide TA for mythology, and it was a miserable experience: MULTIPLE CHOICE EXAMS and I didn't do squat except grading them. Yuck. No hands-on whatsoever.

I prefer teaching.
Unfortunately, I prefer teaching to studying. :blush:
Gildor-Inglorion
Elvellon ar Pethdan
Send Message
on: March 08, 2003 06:19
How does it feel to be tutoring students twice your age, lad?

Not sure . Just wish I had as much experience as you do! I am sure it would help me out a ton!

I prefer teaching.
Unfortunately, I prefer teaching to studying.

hehe, easy trap to fall into
Loriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2003 01:47
Gildor:

Wow, I am extremely impressed with what you have been able to do with Elvish at such a young age. You really have an innate talent for languages. If I were not a neurologist, I would be a linguist but I followed the stronger calling. Languages are great - you really know what "vocation" means if you've studied Latin.
I will work on my Elvish _after_ I've done some Welsh, Norse and Finnish. If there is to be a method in the madness, I shall use the master's method. Books for the first 2 are on the way.
May a star shine on your pathway to your vocation.

Sepdet:

Wish I had studied what you did in college. I do study Classics as a private tutorial student of the retired Classics professor from Mercer University and have for nearly 10 years. I'm afraid I shall have to tackle Old Norse on my own. I will, though, check with the German profs to see if either can help me. My fascination with language and what it shows about thought processes is endless. Paeninsula, for example, is extremely eloquent.
May a star shine on your endeavors.

I was a chemistry/ biology major. As TA to one of the biology profs, I cleaned out turtle tanks 3 times weekly in addition to assisting the students in the lab. Whenever I get accused of being some kind of an elitist, I tell'em that I cleaned up turtle poop in my first job!

Suggestion for both of you (and anyone else interested), if you haven't already read it, read Owen Barfield's "Poetic Diction". It was a great influence on Tolkien.

Are people more passionate about their hobbies? Would I still be this in love with word and language if I had to do it for a living? Who knows?
Aldaron
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2003 05:59
(my details are somewhere earlier in this thread...)

Sepdet:

Wow! I've always admired people who could 'use' Latin (let alone teach it!). Some years back I tried to pick it up on my own, but without much success. Are you aware of any good books or online resources suitable for someone attempting to learn Latin on his own?

I had various TA jobs whilst I was in grad. school: ranging from grading math assignments to running inorganic chemistry labs. I've only just started my first lecturing job last week, teaching freshman discrete math. I do find teaching fun, once I get over the initial butterflies in my stomach that show up every time I walk into the lecture hall. (The fact that they've assigned my class of 40 students to a lecture hall that seats 150 doesn't help!)

I prefer research to teaching, though!
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: March 11, 2003 06:36
Just out of interest, could somebody (most likely a university student/graduate) please tell me what the difference is between a BA and a BSc please? I know one is Bachelor of Arts and the other Bachelor of Science, but I've been looking into the Uni thing recently and you can do Psychology as a BA or a BSc. What would the differences in these courses be? And if you wanted to go on and say, be a Clinical/Educational/Occupational Psychologist, would it matter whether you had a BA or a BSc??
Thankees in advance
sepdet
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2003 08:06

Sepdet:. Are you aware of any good books or online resources suitable for someone attempting to learn Latin on his own?

Well, I don't know how it would be without a classroom environment to help you ask questions, but the textbook by Moreland and Fleischer, Latin: An Intensive Course is the one I used to teach. It's about as good as there is.

And while it's ... gack... a good five years since I created it, here's the Fundamentals of Latin website that I cooked up for my students when I was teaching. It's actually the page for spring quarter, so in order to get to the beginning stuff you've got to go down to the bottom and look at the study guides for fall and winter. Unfortunately the study guides are incomplete without the textbook I was writing them for.
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: March 11, 2003 08:10
I'm currently a junior in college, working on getting my B.S. degree in Chemistry, and planning to make my way into my dream fields of Marine Research and Oceanography.
Réodion
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2003 12:53
well lets see here I am a sophmore in college in FL studying Film Technology...but I want bore you guys with details lol...my age, well I am acutally only five or was it four years old for that is the amount of birthdays I have had...yeh, my birthday is on a leap year.... its crazy

[Edited on 13/3/2003 by Réodion]
Mirlomien
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 12, 2003 08:09
L. How can you be 14 yrs. old and in grade 12? or did i misunderstand? thats really young though! well to grad.

sorry it took me so long to post a reply. I'm homeschooled and am working ahead, I'm actually in about 11th right now. This fall I'll be in 12th. I'm hoping to go to my local community college and get a assoiciates degree (in something, not sure what) by the time I'm 18.

[Edited on 3/13/2003 by Lakileawen]
Firstbourne
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2003 07:29
I'm 16 and in the 10th grade.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2003 03:40
Tanlaithwen
The Science degree in PSych. emphasizes the physical sciences such as physics, biology, anatomy etc. It would focus on perception, brain biology, biologically-based behaviours such as instincts. It might also involve an emphasis on statstical analysis, moreso than what is already required in Psych.

Arts-based Psychology would start with the biological basis of human behaviour but put more emphasis on social factors and pesonality theory. Electives in this area could include literature, history, sociology, political studies, philosophy - any area that looks at the more social aspects of life.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
morgana03
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2003 04:37
I'll be 29 in May and graduated high school though I was tutored at home since 3rd grade do to some silly school policy and the medicine I take. I'm starting to feel old after seeing some posts from you guys.:cry:
gaelowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2003 10:30
i'm in the early 30's with two Bachelors degrees. one in Zoology, the other in Veteirnary Technology. I am a licensed Veterinary Technician, which is fairly equivalent to a Physicians assistant or registered nurse in human medicine.
Legebriwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2003 01:23
I'm in my mid-thirties and am an Animal Health Technologist/Laboratory Animal Technician (similar to Vet Tech) working at a university. Probably one of the oldest Atan in CoE!!
~Lege~ "The Elf who missed the boat!"
Saurid
-Yutaka-
··
Beloved\'s Fighter

Send Message
on: April 02, 2003 11:58
I am turning 22 in May, currently on dean's leave [but should be doing 4th semester at University, /English/]
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2003 02:18
I'll be 29 in May and graduated high school though I was tutored at home since 3rd grade do to some silly school policy and the medicine I take. I'm starting to feel old after seeing some posts from you guys.:cry:

There, there, don't feel bad. I just turned 29 and I'm still at unversity.I'll be 30 before i graduate. Sometimes I feel old too, going to school with teens and early20-somethings.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email